Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Mac UsersFollow

#1 Feb 18 2010 at 12:56 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Will Mac Users be forgotten?

Was FFXI available for Mac?
#2 Feb 18 2010 at 1:09 AM Rating: Decent
*
191 posts
No they wont be, just use bootcamp and go into windows. No, FFXI was not available to Macs unless you had, you guessed it, windows installed.
____________________________
Hyanmen wrote:
It's a frocobo, duh.


Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU): comatose1
#3 Feb 18 2010 at 1:11 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Thank you.
#4 Feb 18 2010 at 1:14 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
People still use macs??!? /shock

No seriously... Games are generally made for windows. If you want to play games you either own a Windows PC OR get an emulator for your non-Windows PC. Macs are fine and dandy for certain things, but the gamers all went to windows years and years ago. So, naturally, the game makers make their games for Windows.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#5 Feb 18 2010 at 1:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
44 posts
It probably will not be ported over to mac os officially but you still have 3 options to play on your mac.

1. Bootcamp Windows
2. Use Crossover Games/wine/cider port(ffxi worked on crossover games)
3. Parallels 5
#6 Feb 18 2010 at 4:50 AM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Bootcamp works with Windows 7 quite nicely.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#7 Feb 18 2010 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
184 posts
Quote:
No seriously... Games are generally made for windows. If you want to play games you either own a Windows PC OR get an emulator for your non-Windows PC. Macs are fine and dandy for certain things, but the gamers all went to windows years and years ago. So, naturally, the game makers make their games for Windows.


just to play devils advocate, blizzard still makes their games for mac also ;p


as much as I would enjoy having ffxiv on my mac, I would never get any work done if that was the case ;p

Edited, Feb 18th 2010 10:27am by saiyandon
____________________________
Vanidin Pickles on Excalibur
#8 Feb 18 2010 at 1:38 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
123 posts
Quote:
just to play devils advocate, blizzard still makes their games for mac also ;p


as much as I would enjoy having ffxiv on my mac, I would never get any work done if that was the case ;p


Another reason why SE makes me scratch my head. Pretty much every single college student uses a Mac, and a huge amount of college students play WoW, so it's a jackpot. SE would target a big market by putting FFXIV on the mac.
#9 Feb 18 2010 at 5:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Sloannn wrote:
Quote:
just to play devils advocate, blizzard still makes their games for mac also ;p


as much as I would enjoy having ffxiv on my mac, I would never get any work done if that was the case ;p


Another reason why SE makes me scratch my head. Pretty much every single college student uses a Mac, and a huge amount of college students play WoW, so it's a jackpot. SE would target a big market by putting FFXIV on the mac.


SE wanted to have a smart population, not a population brainwashed by marketing...good job for not making a Mac port.
#10 Feb 18 2010 at 6:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
123 posts
Quote:
SE wanted to have a smart population, not a population brainwashed by marketing...good job for not making a Mac port.


Nope, I'm pretty sure all they care about is quantity. Like any other company that tries to make a profit.

Nice username by the way.
#11burtonsnow, Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 6:58 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I'm trying to figure out if you were being sarcastic because burton is the biggest marketing for snowboard equip..if so I do see the irony and humor. If not....err look fat monkeys: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00668/050508-monkey-404_668094c.jpg
#12 Feb 18 2010 at 7:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
123 posts
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if you were being sarcastic because burton is the biggest marketing for snowboard equip..if so I do see the irony and humor. If not....err look fat monkeys: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00668/050508-monkey-404_668094c.jpg


I like snowboarding....lol

I came to school out in Colorado so I could snowboard here haha.
#13 Feb 18 2010 at 7:09 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
Another reason why SE makes me scratch my head. Pretty much every single college student uses a Mac


Yeah, no. Speaking as an art student from an CGI and Sound Engineering school in San Francisco, PC desktops are still the overwhelming majority. (Sound students are the majority of mac users in my school, chiefly because of Apple's fantastic sound apps, but art and multimedia users have been shying away from Macs for a long time due to Adobe's increasing neglect of OSX and the stability and power of XP and Windows 7, and 3D applications have never really been suitable on macs, instead opting for XP, W7 and Linux.) Apple has cut a nice little niche in the overall college student demographic, maybe around 15%, and pretty much all of them have bootcamp.

If you're talking about laptops, then I'd bump up that number to 35-40%, because macbooks are quite good, but laptops hardly make for good gaming platforms unless you're willing to pay 500% the price of an equivalent high-performance desktop, and even then they suffer from excessive over-heating.

I can hardly fault SE, or any game developer for not really considering a Mac port. Most of the time, it's simply not worth the gamble of extra development cost in the end, especially since bootcamp is so popular.

Edited, Feb 18th 2010 6:20pm by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#14 Feb 18 2010 at 7:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
184 posts
Quote:
SE wanted to have a smart population, not a population brainwashed by marketing...good job for not making a Mac port.


I wouldn't say that mac users are brainwashed, more along the lines of they want a nicer computing experience, and faster is not the only metric by which you measure "nicer" ;p I love my macbook, haven't found a better laptop yet in all honestly, but I'll take a pc desktop over a mac desktop any day of the week.





Edited, Feb 18th 2010 5:28pm by saiyandon
____________________________
Vanidin Pickles on Excalibur
#15 Feb 18 2010 at 7:52 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,169 posts
I'm using macbook pro for ffxiv. I don't see what the problem is.
____________________________
FFXIV - Currently Playing on Selbina Server
Name: Itachi Akatsuki (THM)
LS: UnitedBBQ

www.guildwork.com - best guildhosting site period

FFXI - Pingpong - Retired 2007
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?6988
75rng | 75nin | 75blm | working on RDM
RNG Gration solo: http://pingpongwww.livejournal.com/15532.html
#16 Feb 18 2010 at 7:59 PM Rating: Good
Sloannn wrote:
Pretty much every single college student uses a Mac, and a huge amount of college students play WoW, so it's a jackpot. SE would target a big market by putting FFXIV on the mac.


lolwut? A good 95% of my engineering software does not work on a Mac. Several websites where I go to in order to submit assignments cannot be accessed on a Mac. If you have a Mac in college, you are expected to be able to run Windows as well.

That, and Macs are freaking expensive as ****. I can get like 2/3 laptops for the cost of 1 Mac.

Edited, Feb 18th 2010 9:00pm by PaladinStargazer
#17 Feb 18 2010 at 10:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
520 posts
Kirbster wrote:
I can hardly fault SE, or any game developer for not really considering a Mac port. Most of the time, it's simply not worth the gamble of extra development cost in the end, especially since bootcamp is so popular.


THIS IS THE ONLY ANSWER!!! I own a MacBook, my wife owns a PowerMac G5. I love mac, but like you all know, its not exactly the gaming platform most developers aim for. Why?

Well, if its a good enough game, and Mac people really want it....they'll use bootcamp. That's it, end of story, case closed. SE should not develop for Mac. Those who own a mac and love ffxi or want ffxiv, will simply use bootcamp. So SE can still sell those extra copies, but not have to spend the millions it would take to develop the Mac version. The cost is passed on to us.

Its not because mac is inferior, or superior, but because bootcamp has erased all necessity to develop specifically for Mac.
____________________________
FFXI: Nyse - PLD, DNC, DRG
Asura Server

FFXIV: Nyse Celestre - Working on PLD
Ridill Server...for now.
#18 Feb 19 2010 at 4:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Quote:
just to play devils advocate, blizzard still makes their games for mac also ;p


I qualified my statement by saying "generally". Blizzard and some other studios do try and port things to macs. SE doesn't.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#19 Feb 19 2010 at 6:50 AM Rating: Decent
*
181 posts
An Imac is a real mystery to me. Holy sh*t i just made a custom mac at their website and it went over $10,000, it was something that i could build for only $2,000. Their quad core starts out at $2,500 so you're pretty much getting ripped off severely by buying that sh*t.

Edited, Feb 19th 2010 7:56am by KeeperOfTheStaff
#20 Feb 19 2010 at 9:30 AM Rating: Excellent
**
394 posts
Most game companies do not make games for Mac because Mac does not support DirectX and never will. It's not because they "forget" you or are trying to alienate users. In order to port a game to Mac, the graphics engine must be completely rewritten from scratch for OpenGL, which is not easily done. If a game for Windows is made in OpenGL to begin with, then yes, porting is easy, and some companies do have the money to spend on porting costs for DirectX games (Blizzard), but this just isn't the case most of the time.

People seem to think that developers just have to change a few lines of code and click the "Compile for Mac" button and out comes a nice Mac-compatible game. No. I run OS X alongside Windows and like it just fine; would prefer it, even, and I specialize in computer science. The trouble is the platform is very closed, very unfriendly to developers, and is marketed mostly to people who don't know how to do simple things like turn their computers on. There are hundreds more reasons why Mac is not and will never be a mainstream gaming platform, but that's best saved for other forums.
#21 Feb 19 2010 at 11:37 AM Rating: Default
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts
Kirbster wrote:
Quote:
Another reason why SE makes me scratch my head. Pretty much every single college student uses a Mac


Yeah, no.


Errr ... ya!

I went to York University in the north end of Toronto. When I started, I had a white iBook and I was the only one. By my last year, I had upgraded to a powerbook, and EVERYONE had iBooks and never MacBooks.

Look around a university today and you see Macs EVERYWHERE. The same demographic that has the money to send their kids to school (I.e. the half of the student population that isn't on financial aid) also has the money to buy them Macs, and they do. Whether it's because they're easy to use, virus-free (mostly), or just fashion statements, they sure are everywhere. My sister goes to the University of Western Ontario, and everyone there has Mac laptops, too.

The current line of MacBooks are due for a refresh. Once that happens, compare them to PC laptops in the same price range and you'll notice that they actually aren't that expensive. The mistake most people make is to compare a $1000 MacBook with a $500 PC and conclude Macs are overpriced... Yet the PC laptop they are looking at has a crappy battery, low-res low-quality screen, is large, heavy and clunky... and the Mac has a 7 hour battery, a ULED display, weighs 4.5 lbs., etc. PC laptops always boast the size of their hard drive and the amount of RAM in them as their biggest marketing features. Those things are ubiquitous. But go to your nearest BestBuy and listen to a salesman sell an unknowing person a laptop... and listen to the poor people ... "Honey maybe we should get this one. The salesman says it's good and it has twice the memory of the Mac for half the price!!"

But I digress.

On topic - Mac users can effectively and completely turn their Macs into PCs with Bootcamp. If you want PC gaming, it's the only way to go. Even parallels 5 is not going to give you the graphical power you need. This isn't an 8 year old game like FFXI.

____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#22 Feb 19 2010 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Yes, but I specified the popularity differences between the laptops and desktops in my post. They're quite different and I wouldn't mash them together. (A key difference is that upgrading a laptop of any kind is such a pain and an expensive process that one usually just buys a new lap, something that effectively neutralizes the Apple 'handicap' regarding upgrades.)

Walking around UC Berkeley, a place that one would practically expect an abundance of macbooks, they're still less common.

I have no qualm against apple laptops, I think they're quite nice. Apple desktops though, are grossly overpriced for the hardware, speaking as an experienced builder and overclocker.

Just because you see apple laptops everywhere doesn't mean that every mean that every other college student not holding one doesn't use a PC at home.

Edited, Feb 19th 2010 10:16am by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#23 Feb 19 2010 at 4:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
123 posts
Just from my experience (and I was referring to laptops, my apologies I should have specified) but every college I looked at, from as far east at Syracuse and west as University of Wisconsin, every single school offered a deal involving Mac laptops. Where I go to school now I think I've seen like 5 PC this entire time. Literally 99% of the students have a mac. My school has 28,000 undergrad students, that's a HUGE demographic.
#24 Feb 19 2010 at 4:42 PM Rating: Good
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
Errr ... ya!

I went to York University in the north end of Toronto. When I started, I had a white iBook and I was the only one. By my last year, I had upgraded to a powerbook, and EVERYONE had iBooks and never MacBooks.


Yeah no. I go to college. A small demographic use macs, everybody else uses the superior, more cost-effective system.

Quote:
Literally 99% of the students have a mac.


Forgive me if I have trouble believing you.

Edited, Feb 19th 2010 5:43pm by Deadgye
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#25 Feb 19 2010 at 4:51 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
728 posts
Quote:

Another reason why SE makes me scratch my head. Pretty much every single college student uses a Mac, and a huge amount of college students play WoW, so it's a jackpot. SE would target a big market by putting FFXIV on the mac.


Only the D-Bag ones. I'd rather not spend twice as much for a machine that supports far less. People always brag about bootcamp, but that's because the basic mac OS is so crippled they need windows to make their machine worth while. You're better off just getting a windows based computer in the long run.
____________________________
Fresh start on Alex :D. Hope I can dodge other crazy people this time. Of course being a bit odd myself I tend to attract them.
#26 Feb 19 2010 at 5:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
520 posts
SoiFon wrote:
Quote:

Another reason why SE makes me scratch my head. Pretty much every single college student uses a Mac, and a huge amount of college students play WoW, so it's a jackpot. SE would target a big market by putting FFXIV on the mac.


Only the D-Bag ones. I'd rather not spend twice as much for a machine that supports far less. People always brag about bootcamp, but that's because the basic mac OS is so crippled they need windows to make their machine worth while. You're better off just getting a windows based computer in the long run.


I own a mac...so I'm a douche bag? What kind of car do you own? If its not a nissan then you're a douche bag. What's your favorite color? If its not blue then you're a douche bag. What's your favorite candy? If its not twix you're a douche bag.

See how retarded that sounds? Its personal preference, get over it. Does Mac do everything? No. Does PC? No. Why does it matter which I buy and which you buy? I don't see why people have to be immature about it.
____________________________
FFXI: Nyse - PLD, DNC, DRG
Asura Server

FFXIV: Nyse Celestre - Working on PLD
Ridill Server...for now.
#27 Feb 19 2010 at 5:08 PM Rating: Decent
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts
SoiFon wrote:
Quote:

Another reason why SE makes me scratch my head. Pretty much every single college student uses a Mac, and a huge amount of college students play WoW, so it's a jackpot. SE would target a big market by putting FFXIV on the mac.


Only the D-Bag ones. I'd rather not spend twice as much for a machine that supports far less. People always brag about bootcamp, but that's because the basic mac OS is so crippled they need windows to make their machine worth while. You're better off just getting a windows based computer in the long run.


You must be dumb as @#%^... honestly.

I'm a douche bag cause my laptop is (and was when I was in school) a Mac? My gaming PC is a ... PC. Does that make me half douche bag? Or am I a douche bag because $1000 on a well-built, well supported, high quality laptop just doesn't seem like a lot to me?

OSX is crippled? I've owned Macs and PCs since the early 90s, and Windows is always one step behind Mac. They've been taking Apple's ideas for over 20 years, and turning them into sub-par operating systems one after another. Windows 7 is great, but most of it's features have been in OSX for years.

For productivity applications, you can use Parallels and run Windows applications right inside your OSX. It's powerful, and secure. The hardware might be expensive, but it's all high quality. You get what you pay for.

And the way you declare, without a shred of useful information, that "you're" better off with a windows based computer.

I'm not even a Mac guy. At home I rarely touch my Mac (it's my work laptop). But ignorant people blurting ignorant things just annoys the sh*t out of me.


Edited, Feb 19th 2010 6:14pm by Jordster
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#28 Feb 19 2010 at 5:10 PM Rating: Good
******
48,733 posts
Macs have the worst marketing department imaginable.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#29 Feb 19 2010 at 5:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
123 posts
Well clearly I am fighting an uphill battle here considering this is a forum for an online game. It would be like me defending hockey on a basketball forum. I was never arguing which computer is better, but simply the large chunk of customers SE is missing out on because they won't port it to the mac. Sure if you go to a school prolific in engineering or design you are going to see a lot of PCs. But the majority of students at large universities use Macs, and that is a ton of customers that won't buy this game for that sole purpose. I'm praying the beta is during the summer so if I get in I can play it on my PC at my house I used for FFXI. To the guy with the "douche" comment. Classy as **** man, keep up the great work.


As for bootcamp, does it slow your computer down a lot? I am not very tech-savvy and it seems a program like this would slow down my computer ridiculous amounts. Hopefully I am wrong though.
#30 Feb 19 2010 at 5:46 PM Rating: Good
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Has this thread gotten to the point where I can post all my lolapple and mac vs pc pictures yet?
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#31 Feb 19 2010 at 5:54 PM Rating: Good
***
2,824 posts
Quote:
As for bootcamp, does it slow your computer down a lot? I am not very tech-savvy and it seems a program like this would slow down my computer ridiculous amounts. Hopefully I am wrong though.


No. It doesn't run the OS' at the same time. When you reboot you choose which operating system to boot into (you can use Boot Camp to run a Linux distro too).
#32 Feb 19 2010 at 9:35 PM Rating: Decent
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Macs have the worst marketing department imaginable.


They've increased the value of their shares, their market share, their overall sales and their profit by incredible amounts. They've also invented a whole new market for smartphones, and sold a huge amount of product to people who wouldn't have otherwise bought anything.

Like their ads, or hate them, their marketing department are pros.
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#33 Feb 19 2010 at 9:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
181 posts
A simple question, OP... yet a slew of Mac vs PC replies. Not needed.

Mac's can do anything a PC can as long as you use Bootcamp (for Windows software). Mac's are where you will go for video and music production. More than half of Hollywood uses Final Cut Pro.

Anyway, right now it's not profitable for companies to port to Mac (even though it's a simple process). The gaming community is widely in the PC market. I play PC games through Bootcamp but am getting a custom built PC made next week so I can game like a champ.
____________________________
-Ninjaro-
.Carbuncle.

75DRG
Wolfpack - Social LS
#34 Feb 19 2010 at 11:43 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
Depending how the game is made, it may be very possible to use crossover (basically wine for osx) to rig the game into working. For stuff that crossover works well for (team fortress 2) it works as fast (or damned near) as it does via booting into windows (via bootcamp or otherwise) and playing. There is almost always SOME form of stability loss, so expect more crashing regardless.

That being said, if the game moves away from the multi-windowed login system (playonline for example) it will stand at least a decent chance of being run with crossover on the OSX side.

Personally, I use the windows side of my mac pro (a fantastic machine by the way). For a laptop, I hate macbooks, so I own an HP tm2t (tablet convertable with windows 7). I'm definately not in the 'fanboy' croud, but having built and sold computers for a living over the years, even though the 'premium' sucks, the pro-line of macs is top-notch. I've never, in all my years, built something as sound and powerful as my mac pro. My only beef with apple all these years is that the driver-support for video cards licks balls. If they'd fix it so quartz could be utilized fully on standard up-to-date non-apple vid-cards, there would be zero complaints from me price, or build wise. Also, all that being said, I would not have bought this mac originally if it were not for needingit for FCP. Having been trained in dozens of NLE applications, I can honestly say, hands down, FCP blows them out of the water (even avid - though some feature sets of avid are very nice). Now that I've owned it for a couple years, I'll never go back. I'll be buying mac pro machines for a long time if they retain this extremely high build quality.

And for the record, the iPad is a stupid idea. If they had implemented a wacom interface into one of thier macbook pros, as you can find in the bad *** mod-books, it would have actually been useful. As it is now, it's like a ****** web-browser for use on the toilet... and the iphone already does that for most of the world.
____________________________
Posting from just above the generator.
#35 Feb 20 2010 at 12:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
349 posts
Why are people still asking this question
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#36 Feb 20 2010 at 3:47 AM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
Mac's can do anything a PC can as long as you use Bootcamp (for Windows software). Mac's are where you will go for video and music production. More than half of Hollywood uses Final Cut Pro.


That's a common misconception.

Music production, yes. Video, not so much. Barely any of the major movie studios use Final Cut Pro, they typically use node-based compositors such as Nuke, Shake! and (layer-based) Adobe Premiere, in addition to in-house software that typically runs on either Linux or Windows. TV studios typically use AfterEffects and Premiere.


Quote:
Literally 99% of the students have a mac.


Come on now, dude. Don't make this ridiculous.


Quote:
And for the record, the iPad is a stupid idea. If they had implemented a wacom interface into one of thier macbook pros, as you can find in the bad *** mod-books, it would have actually been useful. As it is now, it's like a sh*tty web-browser for use on the toilet... and the iphone already does that for most of the world.


My buddy actually designed about 8 chips that go into the iPad. I asked him his opinion about it, and he said he couldn't honestly see any real practical use for the thing. A wacom interface really would have saved it from being 9 iphones glued to the back of a cafeteria tray.



Edited, Feb 20th 2010 1:53am by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#37 Feb 20 2010 at 9:58 AM Rating: Decent
*
90 posts
iPod > Zune :)
____________________________
Scientists have discovered that saliva actually causes cancer. But only when swallowing small amounts over a long period of time
#38 Feb 20 2010 at 10:14 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts

Quote:
I'm using macbook pro for ffxiv. I don't see what the problem is.


lol I see what you did there.
#39 Feb 20 2010 at 4:54 PM Rating: Decent
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts
Kirbster wrote:


Quote:
And for the record, the iPad is a stupid idea. If they had implemented a wacom interface into one of thier macbook pros, as you can find in the bad *** mod-books, it would have actually been useful. As it is now, it's like a sh*tty web-browser for use on the toilet... and the iphone already does that for most of the world.


My buddy actually designed about 8 chips that go into the iPad. I asked him his opinion about it, and he said he couldn't honestly see any real practical use for the thing. A wacom interface really would have saved it from being 9 iphones glued to the back of a cafeteria tray.



Ok. So your buddy designed some random hardware components, and so he knows!

Seriously, though, the reason us geeks can't figure out what the iPad is going to be good for is that it's hardly aimed at us. I think the market they have in mind are the people who hate computers, but use them all the time at work and at home because they are necessary. These same people have fallen in love with their iPhones, and the idea of a full size device that can, for many of them, alleviate the need for a PC, is very attractive.

Only time will tell. IMO it will either be a huge success like the iPhone, or a huge flop. There isn't much middle ground for the iPad.
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#40 Feb 20 2010 at 5:52 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,084 posts
Jordster wrote:

Ok. So your buddy designed some random hardware components, and so he knows!

Seriously, though, the reason us geeks can't figure out what the iPad is going to be good for is that it's hardly aimed at us. I think the market they have in mind are the people who hate computers, but use them all the time at work and at home because they are necessary. These same people have fallen in love with their iPhones, and the idea of a full size device that can, for many of them, alleviate the need for a PC, is very attractive.

Only time will tell. IMO it will either be a huge success like the iPhone, or a huge flop. There isn't much middle ground for the iPad.


He's an experienced hardware and software engineer who designed one of the primary chipsets and worked alongside with the programmers that designed the software and driver infrastructure. Forgive me if I think he might have a valid opinion on the device.

And that has pretty much always been Apple's strategy. Their target demographic has always been 1)People who don't really want to deal with computers. 2)Hipsters.

Indirectly, they also attract the attention of Gadgetophiles and some programmers, advocates of OpenGL etc.

Edited, Feb 20th 2010 3:53pm by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#41 Feb 20 2010 at 7:51 PM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
..... So ummm is playing it on a PS3 an option? Cause it seems that would be an easier choice. Just saying....
You don't have to worry about bootcamp, or which OS is compatible, or what color your mac is (well, cause, you know, having a blue support color materia lap-top makes you the best redmage ever)
Id say then your only argument is getting it for PS3 or X-box 360, but that heated debate is on another topic
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#42 Feb 21 2010 at 4:20 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
Please don't bring the Mac vs. PC discussions to this forum. We don't need them.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#43 Feb 21 2010 at 5:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
633 posts
Kirbster wrote:
He's an experienced hardware and software engineer who designed one of the primary chipsets and worked alongside with the programmers that designed the software and driver infrastructure. Forgive me if I think he might have a valid opinion on the device.

And that has pretty much always been Apple's strategy. Their target demographic has always been 1)People who don't really want to deal with computers. 2)Hipsters.

Indirectly, they also attract the attention of Gadgetophiles and some programmers, advocates of OpenGL etc.


By Hipsters I guess you mean the people that deal with their computers everyday making 60k+ a year in the Graphic design field? Those two examples don't really make sense. The argument that Mac users do not use their computers effectively to make money like everyone else is tiresome to be honest.

The latest Mac Pro has both the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 and ATI Radeon HD 4870 as options from the get go.

So to answer the OP's question, if he had a Mac Pro I would assume that Yes, he could play FFXIV with BootCamp. No details yet on minimum specs, so who knows really.

I recently just built a new PC gaming rig so I am in the clear luckily, but I use my MacBook to run my business. Kind of silly as they both ended up costing the same. When I was growing up it was the opposite, I played games on the Apple II/Mac SE and used a PC for schoolwork. Times have sure changed.
____________________________
"BSTito, ergo erat..." (I BST, therefore I was.) -Rennne Decarrtee, Mithran Philosopher
#44 Feb 21 2010 at 5:45 AM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
By Hipsters I guess you mean the people that deal with their computers everyday making 60k+ a year in the Graphic design field?


No, by hipsters, I mean hipsters. People who buy it for the fashion statement.

I'm talking about Apple's main target demographics in marketing. I'm quite aware that OSX is used quite dominantly in graphic design in particular, but it's not really a point they push in marketing.

But even lately many graphic design people have been edging towards Windows. The main advantages that Macs used to have over Windows in graphic design was mainly better support for PDF files(hasn't been the case in for years), anti-aliased screen fonts and OpenGL-based graphics. As OpenGL has really started to drop the ball lately and DirectX becomes more appealing, the tides have started to turn, especially with Adobe and Apple infighting. AppleScript and Automator are still great tools for optimizing workflow, but the same thing can be done easily on Windows with a little know-how.

At this point in time any perceived superiority between Windows and OSX are largely imaginary. Both OSs are incredibly stable and easy to use. It really just comes down to personal preference, hardware and which programs are available on each.

Edited, Feb 21st 2010 4:02am by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#45 Feb 22 2010 at 2:36 PM Rating: Good
**
394 posts
Sloannn wrote:
Well clearly I am fighting an uphill battle here considering this is a forum for an online game. It would be like me defending hockey on a basketball forum. I was never arguing which computer is better, but simply the large chunk of customers SE is missing out on because they won't port it to the mac. Sure if you go to a school prolific in engineering or design you are going to see a lot of PCs. But the majority of students at large universities use Macs, and that is a ton of customers that won't buy this game for that sole purpose. I'm praying the beta is during the summer so if I get in I can play it on my PC at my house I used for FFXI. To the guy with the "douche" comment. Classy as **** man, keep up the great work.


The thing is, SE isn't really "missing out" on potential customers any more than any other game company is by not releasing Mac ports. You say they "won't" port it to Mac as if they are willingly deciding to ignore a potential chunk of customers, but as my above post pointed out, that's not the case either. You're also implying that someone who uses a Mac is someone who is incapable of playing FFXIV, which is not the case. I know plenty of Mac users who also have PCs or use BootCamp, and those who don't are often not gamers. On top of that, this is not a PC-exclusive game; Mac users can also own PS3s. I'm pretty sure Mac users who are excited about FFXIV aren't saying "Man, if only I didn't have a Mac..."

Let's put it this way: I can absolutely guarantee you that the number of extra subscribers SE would receive from releasing a Mac port of FFXIV would never make up for the development costs of producing that port in the first place. That kind of cross-platform porting is extremely costly, and though I don't doubt SE's ability to fund it, that kind of decision wouldn't be profitable in the least. You'd sooner see a 360 port before a Mac port.
#46 Feb 22 2010 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
Jordster wrote:
I'm a douche bag cause my laptop is (and was when I was in school) a Mac? My gaming PC is a ... PC. Does that make me half douche bag? Or am I a douche bag because $1000 on a well-built, well supported, high quality laptop just doesn't seem like a lot to me?


I'm 1/4 douchebag and 3/4 *******, but that's a function of genetics and not hardware preference.

I've never owned a Mac. I have no plans to buy a Mac. I still chuckle at the "tubby old guy" PC vs. "chill young guy" Mac commercials. They're pretty good.
#47 Feb 22 2010 at 5:18 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Kirbster wrote:
It really just comes down to personal preference, hardware and which programs are available on each.


And there you have it.

Me, I stuck with PC's because my brain fizzles out and dies whenever I try to use someone's Mac and realize that I can't right-click.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#48 Feb 22 2010 at 7:07 PM Rating: Decent
*
95 posts
wtf is a mac? lol j/k...gaming > on pc then mac always.
____________________________
Sin(SWTOR): 50 Jedi Sentinel

Krystalin(FFXI) :(retired) 85BRD/85BLM/85WAR/85BLU/85SAM/85DRG/85PLD/85RDM/85THF/85DRK/75BST/75PUP/75COR/75MNK/75NIN/75RNG

Vikzul(WoW):(retired) 80 rogue

Clytie(WoW):(retired) 80 pld
#49 Feb 22 2010 at 10:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,522 posts
Eske wrote:


Me, I stuck with PC's because my brain fizzles out and dies whenever I try to use someone's Mac and realize that I can't right-click.


lol You can right-click.
#50 Feb 22 2010 at 11:46 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
BJordan wrote:
Eske wrote:


Me, I stuck with PC's because my brain fizzles out and dies whenever I try to use someone's Mac and realize that I can't right-click.


lol You can right-click.


I know bud. I was making a joke : )
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#51 Feb 23 2010 at 12:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,034 posts
just play on the ps3 and stick to whatever computing stuff you're doing on your mac, is a pain to boot into windows just for a game.

I am running ffxi on my mac now under bootcamp, yes it can be done... but need to live with the torture of running windows as well. FFXI (FFXIV) > Mac

Edited, Feb 22nd 2010 11:10pm by Nyariko
____________________________
FFXI: Niyariko/Fenrir)ψ(`∇´)ψ
(FFXIV: Nya Ayariko/Figaro) Alpha tester #699 on Shαdowlord
http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/community/images/en/default/error/errorBox.png?_v=58p
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)