Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Do you really want to get FFXIV hooked?Follow

#1 Feb 23 2010 at 12:59 PM Rating: Decent
**
333 posts
Blazed here,

Ima be straight up and say FFXI has been apart of our lives whether we like it or not. Part of our lives meaning we started including the game in our regular day schedule and activities. All my players who have been at it for 5 or more years knows what i am talking about and my question to all the Long times players here is do we really want to get Hooked on another SE MMO?

I myself am a Player for 7 long ******* years (Age 13-20). I was estatic to hear about FFXIV and said i was for sure as **** going to be playing which got me the thinking. I'm 20 years old now, is it time for me to move on from playing MMO's?

I don't necessarily let my life suffer, i still go out with friends, hang out with GF, go out on the weekends, all the stuff a normal person does but in my free time usually on the weekdays i am playing the MMO. I already know if FFXIV is as good as i think it will be i could play for 7-10 more years easily which is cool and all but i keep asking myself do i want to do this again?

I mean all my friends are coming over from FFXI when it releases so basically ill be with the same people i grew up with literally around FFXI's release which is just awesome, same linkshell/GuildLeve/ Same job.

Call it Addiction if you want but i don't believe it just simply a massive addiction because i can pull away from the game if i want but i have so much free time i don't.

so once again, do you think you can handle another SE MMO for the next few years IF it turns out to be the best MMO on the market at its release?
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?24066
75NIN/37WAR
75RDM/37BLM TaruTaru rank10
75RNG/37 NIN TaruTaru rank 10
#2 Feb 23 2010 at 1:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,522 posts
I do, but I don't.

I love SE's games. I loved FFXI, and I'll probably love FFXIV just the same. However, I did let FFXI become a lot of my free time, but I was also younger.

I'll still buy it, try it out and go from there.
#3 Feb 23 2010 at 1:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts

I'd say if you managed to grow up with an MMO in your life, and you TRULY mean what you say about still living a balanced life, then you're an ideal candidate to maintain an MMO hobby. I know a 15 year old right now who has been playing Runescape (ughhh) since he was 12 and he's ADDICTED. He has terrible social skills, no friends, and literally no life. He doesn't even go to school at the moment .. just sits at his PC playing.

For me, I'm 28. I've finished school and I work as a teacher. I don't have a ton of free time... My wife and I are very social on the weekends, and as a teacher my work is never done. That being said, I'm looking forward to FFXIV as my new addiction. I've been craving high quality, non-WoW MMO play for a long time now.

I'm hoping FFXIV will be everything FFXI once was to me, and so much more :)
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#4 Feb 23 2010 at 1:21 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,084 posts
I can quit the MMO genre any time I want, I've done it dozens of times.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#5 Feb 23 2010 at 1:28 PM Rating: Decent
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts
Kirbster wrote:
I can quit the MMO genre any time I want, I've done it dozens of times.


And just always came back?

:)
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#6 Feb 23 2010 at 1:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I don't want to get too hooked on it, and I'm definitely going to keep myself at arm's length for the most part. I'm not going to go in with goals of "doing everything" or "being the best at X". I'm just going to have fun with it.

It'll be hard to not play it though, unless my brother and girlfriend don't like it. I imagine I'll be roughly as hooked as they are. Considering there are as many as 6 people I'm close to irl who will be playing, the hardest part will be not playing when everyone else is playing.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#7 Feb 23 2010 at 1:31 PM Rating: Default
**
333 posts
thats what i was about to type lol kinda ironic
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?24066
75NIN/37WAR
75RDM/37BLM TaruTaru rank10
75RNG/37 NIN TaruTaru rank 10
#8 Feb 23 2010 at 1:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
209 posts
I'm glad someone brought this up, I've been considering it too. I'm 20 right now, and I'm at the point in my life where maybe I should just 'grow up' as well and stop MMOs. But I think of this: FFXI was some of the BEST times I've had in my life. For a while I was really addicted, in the truest sense, but I broke the habit and ffxi became kind of recreational, and that just doesn't really work well with FFXI so I ended up quitting.

I made so many AWESOME friends in FFXI, who says that it takes away from your social life? When I quit I regained a lot of boring free time... time that I wanted to spend online with my FFXI friends -and why not? Are people you enjoy the company of, share common hobbies with, laugh, gossip, and converse with less of 'friends' because you use a digital medium instead of going to the bowling alley? Better yet, why not have BOTH kinds of friends and divide your life evenly?

I think as long as you are responsible with your game playing, and don't do it too much (just like IRL you shouldn't spend too much time out with your friends boozing or whatever...) then it's perfectly fine to continue playing MMOs. ESPECIALLY if you prefer MMO social life over IRL social life.

Also, I honestly believe the internet will be the commonplace way friends will spend time with each other in the future anyway...

Edited, Feb 23rd 2010 2:46pm by mithrandrk

Edited, Feb 23rd 2010 2:47pm by mithrandrk
____________________________
"If it could go wrong, it happened in the Dunes." - Sephrick
#9 Feb 23 2010 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
162 posts
having this dilemma myself, and now that I am a father I am really not sure I'll have the time to play that much, especially in a party heavy game. I hated to much people who keep going away while in party I don't want to do this to other player, but a small baby just can't wait, so my availability to party or do mission will be very low.

Beside that I learned something after 3-4 years in FFXI, an MMO is their to stay so their no need to play all the time to keep up, I enjoyed being one of the first NA with high lvl char, etc... but now I know I can just login, do some crafting/quest whatever and logout and level tomorrow or the next week, the game can wait...

My 0.02$.
#10 Feb 23 2010 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
656 posts
Blazerman, being at your age, i would expect you to be in college right?

i was about the same age as you when i started FFXI, i m sure u know about the difference between a 13 yr old and 20 yr old. i wasnt as addicted as my friends, who will take a day off from work or skip classes to play FFXI, but sometimes i skip soccer practices to play.

not to mention, it does interfere with my grades back then.
make sure playing the game wont affect your studying time, i think u can play all u want.


for me...
now having a full time job and part time job and only have a day off, i know my majority playing time would be on week nights. since i've been there, i m so sure im ready this time not to let the game take control of my life
____________________________
モスタル


#11 Feb 23 2010 at 2:02 PM Rating: Decent
**
736 posts
Even if I wanted to, I don't think it's even possible for me anymore.

It's like knowing how the magician saws the assistant in half. Your never quite as enchanted with the trick as soon as you understand how it works. Playing most games involves alot of trying to grab a vertex with my mouse, or twitching over a seam, or wondering how they did something. It's kind of rare I even get a chance to properly immerse, much less be fully enraptured.






Edited, Feb 23rd 2010 3:30pm by Zemzelette
#12 Feb 23 2010 at 2:04 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
Blazerman wrote:
i can pull away from the game if i want but i have so much free time i don't.


That, my friend, is a sign of addiction. You most likely have the free time because you've been playing it for so long you don't know what else to do with your time. I used to use the same excuse.

One thing that is good about MMO addiction though is you can't find a better "high" when the game you are playing disinterests you like real addicts do. When I became bored with WoW I started looking for a way to get that "high" back but it was totally gone...so I no longer play MMOs.

So yeah, in a way I'm not sure if I want to get hooked to FFXIV...it wasn't pretty when I was hooked to FFXI back in the day. It's one of the reasons why I've been such an advocate for more casual play where you can log on, immediately enter the fray, play for half an hour, accomplish something and log off.
#13 Feb 23 2010 at 2:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
214 posts
This is a hard one, recently given up WoW after being a raid leader/guild master kind of makes you appreciate how sucked in you can become, logging ever night to take a crack at the next boss of an raid etc.

FF was much worse when I think about it as the game was such a massive time sink, never ran a linkshell and never wanted to, the stress must be hideous.

I don't think its a matter of whether I want to or not cause I know its guna happen, more a concern as to what extent it will happen, when its starts to infringe upon social and work activities is when I'm guna have to start to worry.

Lets not forget the part where you stay up till 4 in the morning because most of your linkshell is in a different time zone/on the other side of the world :S.

Edited, Feb 23rd 2010 3:12pm by Diakar
____________________________

#14 Feb 23 2010 at 2:15 PM Rating: Decent
17 posts
I'm addicted and I don't really fight it. I'd play all day if I could.
My girlfriend keeps me in check to do normal day crap, and I do what I have to do, but playing video games is no different then going to the mall or watching the big game with your buddies. I have a few good friends, (currentley unemployed but spend most my day looking for work), and get time in with my family. All life is to me is mental stimulation, and what else is going to let you feel like you are in such control as a video game?
I was born in the wrong time, thats for sure.
#15 Feb 23 2010 at 2:17 PM Rating: Excellent
**
336 posts
Considering the nature of MMOs, if I'm not hooked its not a good game.
#16 Feb 23 2010 at 2:32 PM Rating: Good
*
181 posts
FFXI was the only game that i had an addiction to and i played it for years on end. A mmorpg is just like real life to me but in a fantasy world. I think the addiction is because you can do things in a virtual world that are impossible in real life and you get to share that with actual people around the world which brings that experience to life. It's definately not a video game, it's another world that we can enter to forget about our life and live a whole new life.
#17 Feb 23 2010 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
350 posts
Blazerman wrote:
Do you really want to get FFXIV hooked?


No. I want to be able to play this as a casual game, where I don't feel obligated to log in every day, and where I can just play for an hour and get something accomplished.

FFXI is a great game but couldn't adhere to a casual gamer's style which is eventually why I quit. Fortunately FFXIV should be more casual, but hopefully that doesn't take away from aspects that made FFXI so good.
#18 Feb 23 2010 at 3:25 PM Rating: Excellent
*
223 posts
mithrandrk wrote:
I'm 20 right now, and I'm at the point in my life where maybe I should just 'grow up' as well and stop MMOs. But I think of this: FFXI was some of the BEST times I've had in my life. For a while I was really addicted, in the truest sense, but I broke the habit and ffxi became kind of recreational, and that just doesn't really work well with FFXI so I ended up quitting.

I made so many AWESOME friends in FFXI, who says that it takes away from your social life? When I quit I regained a lot of boring free time... time that I wanted to spend online with my FFXI friends -and why not? Are people you enjoy the company of, share common hobbies with, laugh, gossip, and converse with less of 'friends' because you use a digital medium instead of going to the bowling alley? Better yet, why not have BOTH kinds of friends and divide your life evenly?

I think as long as you are responsible with your game playing, and don't do it too much (just like IRL you shouldn't spend too much time out with your friends boozing or whatever...) then it's perfectly fine to continue playing MMOs. ESPECIALLY if you prefer MMO social life over IRL social life.

Also, I honestly believe the internet will be the commonplace way friends will spend time with each other in the future anyway...


I am also 20 (this seems to be a trend) and while I met a couple amazing friends on FFXI (which I never saw happening) I don't know if playing a videogame would constitute as having some of the best times of my life. While technology is a great thing and I enjoy playing videogames, it should never replace physical social interactions. No matter what anyone says, it is not the healthiest form of communication.

My father also plays videogames, so I don't think playing them means that one lacks maturity, so don't worry about that. Out of all the things that contribute to someone being mature, I wouldn't count "videogames" as a huge deciding factor. It's definitely not going to stop me from playing. Playing a game with a good storyline can be somewhat compared to watching a good movie/television show or reading a good book. It can definitely be stimulating, but even sitting around reading books all day is not the healthiest idea.

The reason people gain tons of boring free time after they quit is because they don't know how to take up other hobbies. It's really not that hard to go out and meet new people once you quit a videogame. I would quit for months on end because I lacked the time to play due to boyfriends, sports, school, etc. When I had free time I chose to play because videogaming is fun and so are MMO's, not because I felt that the social life was better than IRL because it most certainly is not. Maybe they can be placed on the same level, but human beings were put on this earth to interact with each other physically to some degree. There is more to social interaction than just talking; there is actual physical chemistry involved and emotions will never be as fully displayed through a technological medium as they are through actual people.

And to add to the health comments, sitting in front of a computer all day with a headset on = not good. People need sunlight and exercise on a daily basis. It's important to keep all of these things in mind when it comes to any hobby.

Like I said, I have also made some amazing friends through FFXI, and I think balancing social interaction between the internet and real life can be fine, but letting an MMO completely dominate your social life; there's really no good argument for that that I can think of.
#19 Feb 23 2010 at 3:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Bluefirefly wrote:
Like I said, I have also made some amazing friends through FFXI, and I think balancing social interaction between the internet and real life can be fine, but letting an MMO completely dominate your social life; there's really no good argument for that that I can think of.


+1. Take a psychology class, I believe they attribute a large portion of communication to be non-verbal. I believe women have an even higher tendency to react to non-verbal communication as they are more emotional. At the end of the day it boils down to balance...being mature doesn't mean you partake in "mature events", it just means you can balance the activities in your life, whatever they may be.
#20 Feb 23 2010 at 3:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
39 posts
Hard to say. On one hand, I loved playing FFXI and have a lot of great memories from the game. I played for about 5 years, with most of the time being in my college years where I had a lot of free time. Now I'm 23 years old with a full time job and while I still have some free time on most weeknights and weekends, I tend to fill that time with other things.

When I play MMOs, I strive to be the best that I can whether that means obtaining good gear, playing a job/class very well or being able to help others with my knowledge of the game. Unfortunately, this is why I felt I had to quit FFXI. I no longer had the time to put in to be a good player/LS member. I didn't have 3-4 straight hours a night anymore to do dynamis runs or farm pop items in sky. My schedule became too erratic to reliably attend LS events.

I want FFXIV to be much more forgiving as far as time sinks go, but at the same time I still want that sense of accomplishment when you achieved something in FFXI. Basically, I want the game to be more casual friendly but still have quite a bit of substance. Judging by responses in the thread so far, it seems most want the same.
____________________________
FFXI (Retired)
BRD75 RDM75 BLU75
#21 Feb 23 2010 at 3:59 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
214 posts
@bluefirefly
You only say its unhealthy because society has taught you that.

Perhaps its not socially suitable but we all have separate brains for the purpose of being individuals.

The way I see it is pretty simple, if you're happy sitting indoors playing an MMO 12 hours a day with little social activity outside of the game then that's fine, obviously if you are not then you need to do something about it.

Obviously they can't sit there and whine later on in life though that FF14 ruined their life, because it didn't. :D

Edited, Feb 23rd 2010 5:16pm by Diakar
____________________________

#22 Feb 23 2010 at 4:17 PM Rating: Good
*
223 posts
Diakar wrote:
You only say its unhealthy because society has taught you that.

Perhaps its not socially suitable but we all have separate brains for the purpose of being individuals.

The way I see it is pretty simple, if you're are happy sitting indoors playing an MMO 12 hours a day with little social activity outside of the game then that's fine, obviously if you are not then you need to do something about it.

Don't sit there and whine later on in life though that FF14 ruined my life, because it didn't. :D


Did you even read my entire post? Because it sounds like you read the first paragraph and hastily responded.

Society didn't teach me that it was unhealthy; science did. Science is not synonymous with society. And then there is common sense, of course. I don't find people being addicted to videogames to be fine any more than I find it fine to be addicted to crack. Society wants you to think it's okay to be addicted to videogames and not crack because they can make money off of it because it's legal, so if anything, it sounds like you're the one being duped.

I also specifically stated physical aspects to sitting inside staring at a computer screen. If you also think it is fine to deteriorate your body and die young, well, that's a whole different personal issue. I don't want carpal tunnel, but maybe that's just me.

I definitely haven't seen anyone posting that they think FFXI ruined their lives, so I have no idea where that comment is coming from. It seems to me the people who have been posting have completely recognized it was an addiction that they personally took control over when they didn't like it. They didn't explicitly blame the videogame for "ruining their lives."

Edited, Feb 23rd 2010 5:20pm by Bluefirefly
#23 Feb 23 2010 at 4:18 PM Rating: Good
*
128 posts
Diakar wrote:
@bluefirefly
You only say its unhealthy because society has taught you that.

Perhaps its not socially suitable but we all have separate brains for the purpose of being individuals.

The way I see it is pretty simple, if you're are happy sitting indoors playing an MMO 12 hours a day with little social activity outside of the game then that's fine, obviously if you are not then you need to do something about it.

Don't sit there and whine later on in life though that FF14 ruined my life, because it didn't. :D

Edited, Feb 23rd 2010 5:00pm by Diakar


It's not only unhealthy because society "told Bluefirefly so." There have been numerous tests that have been conducted that show that there are detrimental effects on your body if you play video games for too long. I don't doubt that playing in an MMO is a welcoming escape from the hardships of life. I like to relax and enjoy some Xbox Live action or, previously FFXI, from time to time when I'm stressed out too. But there is a huge difference between a slight escape and a complete immersion. And from the looks of it, some people in this thread have openly admitted that they are completely immersed in this "new life." I even went through a time in my life where I used FFXI as a crutch and became completely obsessed with it. But I realized afterward that this was a complete waste of my time and was a HUGE detriment to myself. It only further delayed me dealing with my problems at the time. And there isn't a single person on this planet who doesn't have at least one problem, so that isn't a valid argument at all.
____________________________
~Twangaz~
Server: Seraph
Tarutaru ~ 75BLM 75RDM 37WHM
#24 Feb 23 2010 at 4:40 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
214 posts
Quote:
I also specifically stated physical aspects to sitting inside staring at a computer screen. If you also think it is fine to deteriorate your body and die young, well, that's a whole different personal issue. I don't want carpal tunnel, but maybe that's just me.


Example, even when I was pretty obsessed with WoW I still made time to workout because that was my other passion, so your above statement is a generalisation, just because someone may sit in front of a computer doesn't mean they aren't healthy or are inactive throughout the day.

Just because someone may play an MMO too much doesn't mean that they aren't getting daily activity from a laborious job.

If you are sat in front of your PC 30 or 50 lbs overweight then you have bigger things to worry about than socialisms and there is nothing to say that the two are remotely related.

It's unhealthy to eat fast food but loads of people do it, in fact it could be said that eating fast food is more detrimental to your health than sitting down in front of a PC day in day out.

The part about FF14 ruining there life I edited as I didn't want it to seem directed at you, although it seems pretty clear that a uni/collage student could ruin their life by becoming obsessed by an MMO and although its not been mentioned here I have seen it on other forums and was simply suggesting it.


Edited, Feb 23rd 2010 5:56pm by Diakar
____________________________

#25 Feb 23 2010 at 4:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
209 posts
What I'm seeing in this topic are the following:
- It seems that a lot of people who are worried about this are ex-FFXI players who are in their late-teens early twenties
- People are now considering their age, activities, and health. (school, work, etc.)and how they will work with FFXIV, mostly in terms of time spend playing
- MMOs are no replacement for 'physical' social time as opposed to 'digital'
- We seem to agree that the key to being happy is finding a happy medium area which includes not going overboard with playing
- Many of us believe that an MMO creates another world for us to escape to, and view that as healthy in itself


So basically, I think, we all want FFXIV to be a less time consuming game than XI that we can still become emotionally attached to, but not in the form of addiction. We want a game that could give us the same feeling, friends, and experiences that FFXI gave us for years but not in a way that is detrimental to our health and/or social life.

Here's the question: Is it possible to have an MMO be AWESOME, attachment worthy, and not create a bit of havoc in our lives? Because face it, we've all skipped out on something (school work, bowling, etc) to play FFXI or some other MMO. Can we seriously expect an SE MMO to NOT get us hooked?
____________________________
"If it could go wrong, it happened in the Dunes." - Sephrick
#26 Feb 23 2010 at 4:51 PM Rating: Good
*
223 posts
Diakar wrote:
Example, even when I was pretty obsessed with WoW I still made time to workout because that was my other passion, so your above statement is a generalisation, just because someone may sit in front of a computer doesn't mean they aren't healthy or are inactive throughout the day.

Just because someone may play an MMO too much doesn't mean that they aren't getting daily activity from a laborious job.

If you are sat in front of your PC 30 or 50 lbs overweight then you have bigger things to worry about than socialisms and there is nothing to say that the two are remotely related.

It's unhealthy to eat fast food but loads of people do it, in fact it could be said that eating fast food is more detrimental to your health than sitting down in front of a PC day in day out.


First of all, it's generalization, and no, I'm not making one. Sitting in front of a computer screen is bad for your health whether you work out or not. It is bad for your eyes among other things. I am not going to stop playing because if played in moderation the health risks are minimal to nonexistent, but just because you work out for 2 hours every day doesn't stop you from being negatively affected by playing a game for 12 hours everyday. If your so "passionate" about working out, I'm surprised you don't already know that.

I disagree with the idea that being overweight is a bigger issue than not interacting with other human beings. I'd rather be overweight and have friends than be stick thin and play videogames all the time. Luckily, working out is also a passion of mine so I know how to balance my routines.

Making the "well this is bad for you but tons of people do it!" argument isn't really getting you anywhere that you haven't already tried to go before in your earlier post. Just because playing an MMO isn't the worst thing in the world doesn't make it healthy, either. It still comes back to balance. If you balance how much fast food you eat and exercise, it's not bad for your health. If you balance how much you play videogames, it's not bad for your health. That doesn't mean that either of these things are good for your health, because obviously they aren't.

Like I said, there's really no good argument for letting a videogame dominate your life.
#27 Feb 23 2010 at 4:53 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
214 posts
LOL at its generalization... um hello British spelling.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/generalisation
____________________________

#28 Feb 23 2010 at 4:56 PM Rating: Excellent
*
223 posts
Diakar wrote:
LOL at its generalization... um hello British spelling.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/generalisation


Well at least I can rest easy knowing this is the only thing you could argue in my post. You really showed me.
#29 Feb 23 2010 at 4:59 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
214 posts
Quote:
Well at least I can rest easy knowing this is the only thing you could argue in my post. You really showed me.


What makes you think "showing you" was my intention.

The fact that you had to point out my spelling kind of killed it for me.

Edited, Feb 23rd 2010 5:59pm by Diakar
____________________________

#30 Feb 23 2010 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
Diakar wrote:
What makes you think "showing you" was my intention.

The fact that you had to point out my spelling kind of killed it for me.


Right. Thanks for that excuse, I'll be sure to use it in the future. As for the spelling correction, sorry, I'm an English dual-major and it's reflex. Certainly nothing personal. I'll try to refrain from doing it again.
#31 Feb 23 2010 at 5:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Bluefirefly wrote:
Right. Thanks for that excuse, I'll be sure to use it in the future. As for the spelling correction, sorry, I'm an English dual-major and it's reflex. Certainly nothing personal. I'll try to refrain from doing it again.


YOUR probably smart.....


c'mon say it, say it!!!
#32 Feb 23 2010 at 5:26 PM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
burtonsnow wrote:
YOUR probably smart.....


c'mon say it, say it!!!


I'll let this one go because your name pertains to snow-sports. :D
#33 Feb 23 2010 at 9:52 PM Rating: Decent
*
203 posts
I hope it gets me hooked enough. I played for 4 years, off and on taking month+ long breaks. I could use a game where I dint have to buy something new every month. Hopefully it will have enough content month to month to last though.
____________________________
Valkerion:
75SMN 75MNK 75DRG 75PLD 65WHM Bahamut Server (RETIRED)
Sky:O Moon:O Sea:O

Calamityjane:
59BRD 32WHM Odin Server

Help yourself to my lucky charms
#34 Feb 23 2010 at 10:35 PM Rating: Good
**
495 posts
As someone else said, if your not hooked, it means the core game isn't good enough for your time. However that doesn't mean it takes over your life. I am still hooked on FFXI, but because of my work and other hobbys I individually stay out of the larger scale events, and I still find plenty of reasons to come on during the week even for only an hour of play. Socializing with people you meet over time, just escaping to a world not your own, even if you are well aware its a fake world made of pixels and polygons.

If FFXIV can maintain that 'casual yet refined' experience they promise to bring, I'm sure I will be just as hooked when I was younger playing FFXI. The thing that hooked me in FFXI is the same thing that will hook me in FFXIV. The developers for both games just know how to engulf you in a world and make it feel like its worth visiting (even if you eventually find out their 'gameplay' style is not your cup of tea :P, the initial hook is all thats needed to want to stick around and see what else they can make. And than the socialization with friends you find in game keeps you around even longer.) So yeah I want to get 'hooked'. If I can't its not worth my time or money.
#35 Feb 24 2010 at 12:23 AM Rating: Default
**
412 posts
I am somewhat hooked now..
I check my email every morning to see if I got in to the beta...
I mean come on, the game hasn't even been released and it already has a hold of me.
____________________________
They appeared from the sky, the one without a heart... "Omega"...And the one who followed it..."Shinryuu"...
Final Fantasy 5
#36 Feb 24 2010 at 12:38 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
977 posts
Bluefirefly wrote:
Diakar wrote:
What makes you think "showing you" was my intention.

The fact that you had to point out my spelling kind of killed it for me.


Right. Thanks for that excuse, I'll be sure to use it in the future. As for the spelling correction, sorry, I'm an English dual-major and it's reflex. Certainly nothing personal. I'll try to refrain from doing it again.


Sorry, but a single English degree seems pointless enough, why on Earth would you get two?


Quote:
FFXI was some of the BEST times I've had in my life.t


^ I don't think that's a good sign BTW.
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#37 Feb 24 2010 at 12:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
209 posts
Quote:
Quote:
FFXI was some of the BEST times I've had in my life.

^ I don't think that's a good sign BTW.



Okay okay! I meant in terms of hobbies/video games lol... sorry I ddin't clarify to begin with :P
____________________________
"If it could go wrong, it happened in the Dunes." - Sephrick
#38 Feb 24 2010 at 1:28 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
123 posts
Quote:
The reason people gain tons of boring free time after they quit is because they don't know how to take up other hobbies. It's really not that hard to go out and meet new people once you quit a videogame. I would quit for months on end because I lacked the time to play due to boyfriends, sports, school, etc. When I had free time I chose to play because videogaming is fun and so are MMO's, not because I felt that the social life was better than IRL because it most certainly is not. Maybe they can be placed on the same level, but human beings were put on this earth to interact with each other physically to some degree. There is more to social interaction than just talking; there is actual physical chemistry involved and emotions will never be as fully displayed through a technological medium as they are through actual people.


Agreed, when you spend that much time playing an MMO you don't realize how much time you are truly using up. Most things take awhile to get used to, and going from spending 10 hours a day on a video game to having that time slot totally empty can be a very tough adjustment. What made quitting FFXI easy for me was that I gradually decreased my playtime (although at that time I had no intention of quitting) due to summer ending/school starting up, and just general lost of interest. By late august I was playing every other day for an hour max, and I just stopped one day. Also the fact that I played a sport helped.

On he topic of interaction, there is much more to being socially awkward then just from staying indoors. Many people are very uncomfortable with the way they look and such, and this can be a huge social barrier. I don't necessarily think a person should be proud they have the most friends in an MMO, but I can't always blame someone if they feel more comfortable being who they are in a video game. A lot of the serious MMO addiction problems are from teenagers, and we all know how difficult high school can be for some people. The beauty of an MMO is that you can escape, but it is also a poison.

Quote:

Sorry, but a single English degree seems pointless enough, why on Earth would you get two?


Why would you insult someone's personal life choice like that. You better be a bank CEO, or you have absolutely no right to make fun of what another person is doing with their life.
#39 Feb 24 2010 at 2:21 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,754 posts
i shall answer this with another question, does a chocobo (standard non special one) wish it could fly?

^^
____________________________
The Accursed Being Sent By Heaven; Jenova: The Calamity From The Skies

WoW - EU - Al'Akir - Goblin Warlock
Taoquitok

FFXI - Bismarck
Jenovaomega
#40 Feb 24 2010 at 12:24 PM Rating: Default
**
333 posts
Hey Guys,

Yea i am in school right now 2nd year into my college at EMU
(Eastern Michigan University) and a lot has changed like an above poster stated from being 13 to 20 years old now. I had a lot of free time at 13 but i find myself to have just as much free time now as i did when i was that young.

Even with a job, girl, homework (i multitask a lot) i can still put in 10 hours easy (playing CoD and Aion now to hold me before FFXIV)

I guess something that contributed to my mindset in this matter is that my parents right now are constantly screaming at me "It's time to grow up from playing video games" "When are you going to grow up" and its starting to make me think if they are actually right.

They don't understand i have a GF, still get good grades and still go out but instead of reading a book, watching TV, on the phone or watching movies all day i decide to socialize with people i grew up with.

i don't think you have to "grow up" from playing video games.
IMO will smith said it best lol - Parents just don't understand
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?24066
75NIN/37WAR
75RDM/37BLM TaruTaru rank10
75RNG/37 NIN TaruTaru rank 10
#41 Feb 24 2010 at 1:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
350 posts
Blazerman, I was the same way as you throughout college. Especially when I had roommates who would also play a lot of video/computer games. Now that I am 28, and I've been working full time for the past 5 years, I've had a lot less time to play video games. In my experience, taking 4 classes is college is still no where as time consuming as working at least 40 hours a week. If I were you, I would enjoy the free time while you have it, and continue to play video games.

I wouldn't worry about getting hooked on FFXIV, you seem to have a pretty clear realization of how much time you spend playing video games and still maintain a balance with other aspects of your life.
#42 Feb 24 2010 at 1:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
123 posts
Quote:
I guess something that contributed to my mindset in this matter is that my parents right now are constantly screaming at me "It's time to grow up from playing video games" "When are you going to grow up" and its starting to make me think if they are actually right.

They don't understand i have a GF, still get good grades and still go out but instead of reading a book, watching TV, on the phone or watching movies all day i decide to socialize with people i grew up with.


I'd just attribute that to parents of our generation not growing up with MMO's (or even video games for that matter). I think if I play FFXIV I won't be telling my parents about it, because no matter how good I do in school and how my social life is, a video game is a video game to them. My parents are terrible with that stuff, I am the only one in my dorm without an XBOX because they won't let me bring it, and I barely played it at home as it was. If you moderate how you play and still maintain other things well then a video game is just another ordinary hobby.
#43 Feb 24 2010 at 2:54 PM Rating: Good
*
223 posts
Sloannn wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, but a single English degree seems pointless enough, why on Earth would you get two?


Why would you insult someone's personal life choice like that. You better be a bank CEO, or you have absolutely no right to make fun of what another person is doing with their life.


I suppose I should have clarified, although I would think common sense would make it somewhat clear, that being an English dual-major does not mean that I am majoring in English twice. I don't think that is even physically possible. It means that I am majoring in something as well as English so that I can balance my passion with my skills and career path. I completely agree with Sloannn; some of the most successful, worthwhile people I know in my life were English majors and are now corporate lawyers pulling in $400,000+ a year or have retired to be professors or novelists. Judging by your lack of imagination, mistakes, and false assumptions, I wonder if you even went to college. Which is fine if you didn't, it's not mandatory nor does it make you better than anyone else, but before you criticize someone who does attend, maybe you should be a little more knowledgeable on the subject. Unless of course you're just purposefully trying to start a flame war, but why would anyone want to do that?
#44 Feb 24 2010 at 3:23 PM Rating: Default
Being hooked signifies dependency which shows weakness.
I don't think being hooked on anything is good because I don't like to believe i'm enslaved to any material thing.

Now I love FFXI passionately and hate it so therefore manifesting my passion for it or I would just stop playing. I do not have an addictive personality. There is a difference between being addicted to a game and just immersing yourself in that game but maintain the ability to withdraw at will. This is cause for debate because no one can tell you your wrong if you say your not addicted It is something within you. (referring to mmo's at least)
I play because right now I have all the time in the world to do so but when the time comes that I do not then dropping possibly all games but a casual fps here and there will be no problem.
It all goes down to how you wish to spend your free time and how you prioritize things in life.
Sure some ppl are fat slobs sitting at the pc all day with "no life" from a non gaming perspective.
But really to each his own. I perhaps am a rare breed that walks the fine line, people I interact with irl would probably have no clue I play an mmo not because I don't mention it but because there is a gaming stereotype. I am very social and get along with everyone and have no problems "with the ladies"
I also love to get down on some FFXI for 12 hours because I love the game. I hope FFXIV is everything we dream of and more, because since i'm not addicted I will have an outstanding option to replace FFXI which is my greatest turmoil; accepting the fact that this good thing which is FFXI will in fact come to and end.
Replacing something I deem irreplaceable is the bar I set for FFXIV. As of now I am committing to playing it at least to try it out, but if it falls short I might never touch another mmo again, I don't play all the latest games and compare them etc I choose a game and dedicate my self to it.
To answer the OP and another poster said it well but laziness overcomes me scrolling up and quoting,
If it isn't addictive it just isn't an MMO. You Should never create something so massive and fail to create a magic within that will captivate fans for years to come.

____________________________
PS: Your Wonder Clomps and Fang Necklace at DRG75 are utter dogsh*t terrible. You've had an entire month and made no improvements in your gear.

Bsphil to Phantasydragon
#45 Feb 24 2010 at 4:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Bluefirefly wrote:
I suppose I should have clarified, although I would think common sense would make it somewhat clear, that being an English dual-major does not mean that I am majoring in English twice. I don't think that is even physically possible. It means that I am majoring in something as well as English so that I can balance my passion with my skills and career path. I completely agree with Sloannn; some of the most successful, worthwhile people I know in my life were English majors and are now corporate lawyers pulling in $400,000+ a year or have retired to be professors or novelists. Judging by your lack of imagination, mistakes, and false assumptions, I wonder if you even went to college. Which is fine if you didn't, it's not mandatory nor does it make you better than anyone else, but before you criticize someone who does attend, maybe you should be a little more knowledgeable on the subject. Unless of course you're just purposefully trying to start a flame war, but why would anyone want to do that?


O noes logic on the internet, everyone scatter and hide behind rocks!!! Plus since you have an English/English Double Major you can probably out debate us all :P Basically if we were Japan you'd be Godzilla.


So back on topic, I think with MMO addiction we need to come up with a new set of standards for addiction. For the most part there will not be a physical addiction like drugs....there are no withdrawal symptons and unless you sit inside all day playing you can still be fairly active/healthy. Based on the fact it doesn't really alter your mental or physical state, things like social activities can still be participated in. All in all, you can still be addicted to MMO's while maintaining a "normal" life, where with most other addictions it becomes near impossible to complete day to day tasks. Take a look here for some common signs of MMO addiction:
http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-an-MMORPG-Addiction

In terms of how mentally healthy the MMO community is, I sometimes have my doubts. In my recent WoW experience, the majority of the people I have met are unhappy with their life in one way or another and are using the game as an escape (one of the biggest signs of addiction IMO). The case seems to be semi-similar to here...where people are using this game as an escape and then saying they aren't addicted (or at the very least that they are happy with their lifestyle). I'm honestly not trying to call anyone out, but for the most part you can tell if people are really content with their situation or if they are looking for more...and most of us are looking for more.

At the end of the day, most likely we are all addicted to MMOs in a some manner (or at least some point in our lives we were). What it boils down to is a very thin line of which a hobby can become an addiction, some of us cross it and are unaware, some of us blatantly cross it daily, and some of us stay aware and teeter on the edge.
#46 Feb 24 2010 at 8:45 PM Rating: Good
*
57 posts
You guys struggling with the notion of whether or not to "grow up" and stop playing MMO's at age 20 make me chuckle. The most interesting adults I know are those who remain children at heart and have a healthy appreciation for recreation. Growing up doesn't mean you stop playing the games you enjoy. It means you take on more responsibility and have less time to play them, so you must learn to prioritize.

People throughout history have played games of all kinds over the entirety of their lives. Video games have matured as the generation that first played them as children have grown up and brought their love of gaming with them. I am approaching XIV with the mentality that it will offer entertainment for people of all ages around 13 and older, not 20 and under.

#47 Feb 24 2010 at 9:00 PM Rating: Good
***
1,022 posts
It sounds like the new MMO is going to be a lot more casual friendly. If that truly is the case, then I'm all about it. In the most general sense, if you would have been spending that free time playing any other video game, whats wrong with it being an MMO instead?
____________________________
Main character: AutumEmber
60blm/whm Rank 7 Windurst
Linkshell: SeraphsDarkside
Server: Bismarck
#48 Feb 25 2010 at 1:08 AM Rating: Default
*
144 posts
that my friend is not life, going to school, having a career is life, not playing video games
____________________________
Server: Alexander
Character Name: Lovestospoon
Level: 75 WHM
Crafts: 100 Cooking
#49 Feb 25 2010 at 1:56 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,754 posts
life is whatever you want, whatever is most important to you is what your life will be about. i for example prioritise my leisure time over everything else, my life is about enjoying it as much as possible, living in the moment and having no regrets. i'm also in my last year of doing a double major in japanese and economics (currently living in japan, originally england), I get top grades and when i get back to england i've even got a job with my uni already lined up. so even though i prioritise leisure (primarily gaming) over everything else, i'm still successful. life is what you want and you cant judge others for living it differently as long as they're happy.
____________________________
The Accursed Being Sent By Heaven; Jenova: The Calamity From The Skies

WoW - EU - Al'Akir - Goblin Warlock
Taoquitok

FFXI - Bismarck
Jenovaomega
#50 Feb 25 2010 at 1:58 AM Rating: Decent
**
791 posts
I more or less grew up playing FFXI. I played for a good 3 and a half years through high school. I'm 21 now, about to finish up college and move on to that whole "real world" thing. I used to shirk responsibilities all the time to play FFXI, but I chalk it up to being younger and having less control. There were some nights I just wouldn't sleep and would play FFXI all night and go to school in the morning, and when my mom found me at 7am I would just say that I was "Just checking something before school." I've always been a good student without putting in genuine effort. Right now in college I have a 3.6 and I spend most of my time drinking and playing Call of Duty and a little bit of WoW.

I personally can't wait to be hooked on FFXIV. I've had a ***** for it as soon as I saw the teaser picture SE made of a moogle riding a chocobo to show off their new engine. Even if FFXIV turns out to be no better than FFXI then that's still at least 3 years of solid gaming for me.

Even now listening to some of the music from the game gets me all misty eyed when I think back on the first time I heard each song. The Sanctuary of Zi'tah music still makes me smile to this day, even though it makes me think of how all those dirtbag goldsellers who would farm tree cuttings there.
____________________________


#51 Feb 25 2010 at 9:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,148 posts
It took a while for to get a hold of my priorities and understand my limitations/expectations (of what is accomplishable). I can now play a game 1-2 hours a day, a few times a week, So I'm not too worried. It is all a matter of understanding that I won't be one of the people wielding something like a Mandau, ever.

I was guilty of overplaying though, I had something like 200 Days played in the first 2-3 years of US launch.

____________________________
Mishana: DRG | THF | RDM | NIN
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)