Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
This Forum is Read Only

Beta characters name.. transfer... WHAT?! Follow

#1 Mar 19 2010 at 10:37 AM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
Say is ain't so.....

http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=21891

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 12:51pm by Jjay
____________________________
75NIN / 75THF / 75COR / 75RNG / 75HUB / 75DAD
63MNK / 63RDM

#2 Mar 19 2010 at 10:48 AM Rating: Decent
What are you talking about?

Quote:
Q: Do you plan to let players transfer their character name, etc, from the beta test into the final release version of the game? [For people unhappy with the notion of beta testers getting a head start, they seem to only be referring to name/appearance, though it is not fully specified.]

A: We do plan to allow that, but when official service starts we will have to add new worlds and players may have to transfer. We need to put some rule in place in the event a new player chooses the same first and last name as a beta player before the beta player is transferred over.


What's so bad about allowing them to keep their character name? I don't think SE is crazy enough to let people from beta keep their character levels as well.
#3 Mar 19 2010 at 10:49 AM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
I was refering to the name.

SE would be insane to let beta testers keep their lvs as well o.0

____________________________
75NIN / 75THF / 75COR / 75RNG / 75HUB / 75DAD
63MNK / 63RDM

#4 Mar 19 2010 at 10:49 AM Rating: Default
What's wrong with keeping the name?

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 12:50pm by Pseudopsia
____________________________
WoW Pkite Blood Elf 80 Retribution Paladin Active
FFXI Yakumo Tarutaru 75 Black Mage Retired
Aion Pkite Elyos 43 Gladiator Retired
#5 Mar 19 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
Would you like your name to be taken?
____________________________
75NIN / 75THF / 75COR / 75RNG / 75HUB / 75DAD
63MNK / 63RDM

#6 Mar 19 2010 at 10:53 AM Rating: Decent
I don't follow. What's wrong with a person keeping their name from the beta character? Better than having it taken after they worked on finding a good one...well maybe finding a good one.
#7 Mar 19 2010 at 10:56 AM Rating: Good
*
75 posts
First, to the people who are confused: People might be concerned that Beta Testers get "dibs" on the "good names", and then get to keep them in the roll-over to the full game. It does seem "slightly" unfair when you think about it. If this were FFXI, I'd say it was unfair.. everyone's names should be reset and everyone should have to clamor for the name they want come the full-release, head to head, no one with a head-start.

However.. this is FFXIV, and as per the same document (the recent Mini Q&A), FFXIV is implemented First and Last names.

This means you can have the name you want and basically just tack on a last name.. yes, I know, some people are squirming about this making the chat process "more complicated," but really those people will just have to get over it since last names are coming.

So in all honesty, I don't mind one bit if the Beta people get to keep their name.

I sort of hope SE makes last names mandatory, as a result. That would clear everything up.. no one can clamor for the right to be "Cloud" alone *eyeroll*
____________________________


FFXIV: Here's to the future ...
#8 Mar 19 2010 at 11:02 AM Rating: Decent
Now we're going to have a swarm of Sephiroth's and Cloud's. Awesome Smiley: laugh
#9 Mar 19 2010 at 11:06 AM Rating: Decent
I don't understand it still, I usually go for unique names. I hate common names in WoW where people would use accents on the name just to have it.
____________________________
WoW Pkite Blood Elf 80 Retribution Paladin Active
FFXI Yakumo Tarutaru 75 Black Mage Retired
Aion Pkite Elyos 43 Gladiator Retired
#10 Mar 19 2010 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
******
48,723 posts
Is it some kind of Special Education holiday today? Whats with all the retarded threads?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#11 Mar 19 2010 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
*
223 posts
I do not think it is fair that Beta characters get to keep their names. It should be a fair process for everyone just like the leveling itself. The Beta should have absolutely no effect on the game other than to better the play and content, not give players any sort of boost whatsoever, even if it is something as simple as a name. It's really just the principle of the matter. Sure, people might be okay with it now, but when every single server has taken the name that many people wanted who did not get into the beta early enough to secure it for themselves, everyone will be whining about it, "it's not fair I wasn't chosen to be in the beta if only to secure my legacy of a name!" It's easier to just nip it in the bud and not create this issue in the first place.

My annoyance with adding surnames is that people will definitely be running around with names so similar it will drive many players crazy. I don't really care if a bunch of idiots want to run around being Cloud Strife, Sephiroth X, Y, and Z, but if I see someone running around with a name extremely similar to mine with the exception of their surname, that's going to be annoying no matter how you slice it. If people were more creative I would really enjoy the fact that we can now have surnames.

In response to Happybyday, they should absolutely NOT be mandatory, and if someone happens to get the first name Cloud, there is no reason that should be considered worse than Cloud Xoxo or any other lame interpretation of it. We are not forced to have surnames in real life, so there is absolutely no reason we should be forced to have them in a videogame. Besides, it could make many people's names worse if they are forced to think of something to add as a surname despite not wanting one in the first place. There's no need to torture people who have a hard time coming up with something that is going to stay with them for years to come.
#12 Mar 19 2010 at 11:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
472 posts
My name in FFXI wasn't too original (Foofighter) but it grew on me and my ls used Foo-whatever to describe certain things
that became known as Foomania, but it would probably be good to have to be creative if I cannot bring the Foo back.
Maybe I could be Foo Fighter, everyone just called me Foofy anyway.
____________________________
Foo Mania/Istory
FooFighter/Quetzalcoatl retired
#13 Mar 19 2010 at 11:37 AM Rating: Decent
**
423 posts
Quote:
Would you like your name to be taken?


Grow up. They already stated they will have more servers on release... right there you can join a new server and not worry about your name.

I can't believe people are making such a big deal out of a name.

What do you people do when you join a forums or play a new game and your name is taken? Do you cry to the owner of said product?

You are not paying for FFXIV yet, you are not giving them dev money, you are not subscribed and lastly if you are not in the beta helping them test you are not even giving them any of your time to make the game better.

If you aren't doing ANY of that you have 0 say in the game and no one cares if someone "might" take your name on one of the servers, get over it.

edit*

P.S. Your name has no effect on the game in any way so why make such a big deal from it? I'd be more upset about those buying FF13 getting a special ingame item for 14 and i don't even care about that.

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 11:40am by boriss
#14 Mar 19 2010 at 11:42 AM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
boriss wrote:
I can't believe people are making such a big deal out of a name.

What do you people do when you join a forums or play a new game and your name is taken? Do you cry to the owner of said product?


It's not the name, it's the idea of equality, which allowing Beta testers the option of taking before others eliminates.

Quote:
You are not paying for FFXIV yet, you are not giving them dev money, you are not subscribed and lastly if you are not in the beta helping them test you are not even giving them any of your time to make the game better.

If you aren't doing ANY of that you have 0 say in the game and no one cares if someone "might" take your name on one of the servers, get over it.


Yeah, this argument might work if we actually had a choice in whether or not we actually get into the Beta early enough to make a difference. That's why a lot of people have been crying in their "I still haven't received my email" threads. They want in and SE won't let them. Obviously people do care if their name is taken. Pikko herself was upset to find she could no longer be Pikko when the server-merge announcement was made. I'm not saying it's a huge deal, I don't really think anyone else is either, but it's a valid point to bring up.
#15 Mar 19 2010 at 11:44 AM Rating: Decent
Beta testers already have an edge on other players due to well, testing the game before it's out. Why shouldn't they be rewarded for their time by being able to keep their names?
#16 Mar 19 2010 at 11:59 AM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
PaladinStargazer wrote:
Beta testers already have an edge on other players due to well, testing the game before it's out. Why shouldn't they be rewarded for their time by being able to keep their names?


Why should they be rewarded for something they were practically killing people to do? Besides, we all know not everyone in the Beta is actually doing it to help SE in any way and some are ONLY doing it for the advantage, so why tease the other people who didn't get in as early more by favoring the Beta testers more than they really deserve? Beta testers aren't some sort of gods, they are people who were dying to play the game early. Let's stop treating them like they're firefighters or something, seriously.
#17 Mar 19 2010 at 12:04 PM Rating: Decent
People were killing others to beta test? Smiley: dubious

Yes, I'm being literal there and it's on purpose.

Is allowing people to keep their names really favoring? They are doing SE a service by reporting bugs and such to allow the rest of us to enjoy the game when it comes out. Just because there are some twats that will use the beta to get an advantage on others doesn't mean the others will.
#18 Mar 19 2010 at 12:13 PM Rating: Decent
**
810 posts
This is such a big deal.

Oh, my God.

Such a travesty. Why would they let this happen.

I wanted that name! GIVE ME MY NAME SE!

Now I'm not playing. And I'm taking the ball home with me.
____________________________
"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy. Lets go exploring."
-Calvin
63BRD/59WHM/31BLM/25SMN/20PUP/16BST/7THF/6MNK/2WAR

Just for clarification, I bot, sell gil, buy gil, MPK, party naked through the dunes, power level, play as a Ranger, quit when they nerf it and complain, play as a Beastmaster, quit when then nerf it and complain, make posts for and against RMT, monopolize NMs, create elitist groups, run casinos, steal gil, hack accounts, and stare at you awkwardly with my left eye.
#19 Mar 19 2010 at 12:13 PM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
PaladinStargazer wrote:
People were killing others to beta test? Smiley: dubious

Yes, I'm being literal there and it's on purpose.

Is allowing people to keep their names really favoring? They are doing SE a service by reporting bugs and such to allow the rest of us to enjoy the game when it comes out. Just because there are some twats that will use the beta to get an advantage on others doesn't mean the others will.


Sorry if you missed all of the threads of people clawing each others throats fighting over who should be in the Beta, but that's your ignorance, not mine. It IS favoring because it's NOT equal. They are indeed doing SE a service but there are plenty of people who want to volunteer that same service and are not given the chance, which is doubly favoring the Beta testers. If you want to view Beta testers like they are heroes, that's your prerogative, but I know for a fact they aren't sacrificing anything to be Beta testers and if they didn't want to be a Beta tester, they wouldn't have applied. What part of this do you not understand?
#20 Mar 19 2010 at 12:15 PM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
People are obviously going to make in game friends while they beta test. It's only reasonable to let them keep their names so that they can still recognize each other after beta is over and real game begins.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#21 Mar 19 2010 at 12:32 PM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
PaladinStargazer wrote:
Beta testers already have an edge on other players due to well, testing the game before it's out. Why shouldn't they be rewarded for their time by being able to keep their names?


I can't really say I see your logic here. You say that Beta testers already get an advantage in that they get to test the game pre-release, which gives them an edge, I agree. But then you say that since they already have an advantage why should they not get even more of an "advantage"? (In this case via keeping their names)

I don't really care that much, but I don't see why they should get more of an advantage than they already have, especially considering what some people already mentioned: getting into beta is not something we get to choose.

Considering the advantage of knowing how things work before non-beta players and the fact that so many want to be a beta tester, I think the beta-playing in itself should be reward enough. Giving them more advantages as a "thank you" for their "hard work" seems a bit over the top to me.

When it comes to this whole first and surname thing, people seem to assume so much. I am not sure if I have missed something, but yes it seems we will have surnames for those who wants (Maybe mandatory.. would be stupid, but as far as I know this is not something they've talked about so we can't know for sure), but who said we could all use the same first name? I have no idea what system they have decided on using, but in the few games I've seen surnames implemented you could still not use the same first name. Surnames were optional and as far as I know not unique, unlike first names which were kept unique.

Why they did it that way, not sure, maybe out of simplicity when it comes to /tell etc, but I would not be surprised if that is the system SE is using for 14 as well. Again, unless I've missed some announcement where they talked about this and explicitly said first names will not be unique because of the use of surnames.
#22 Mar 19 2010 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
Bluefirefly wrote:
PaladinStargazer wrote:
People were killing others to beta test? Smiley: dubious

Yes, I'm being literal there and it's on purpose.

Is allowing people to keep their names really favoring? They are doing SE a service by reporting bugs and such to allow the rest of us to enjoy the game when it comes out. Just because there are some twats that will use the beta to get an advantage on others doesn't mean the others will.


Sorry if you missed all of the threads of people clawing each others throats fighting over who should be in the Beta, but that's your ignorance, not mine. It IS favoring because it's NOT equal. They are indeed doing SE a service but there are plenty of people who want to volunteer that same service and are not given the chance, which is doubly favoring the Beta testers. If you want to view Beta testers like they are heroes, that's your prerogative, but I know for a fact they aren't sacrificing anything to be Beta testers and if they didn't want to be a Beta tester, they wouldn't have applied. What part of this do you not understand?


When the @#%^ did I say they were heroes or even come close to saying they were anything like that? It's an equal opportunity chance of getting into beta. You register for a chance to get beta and there you go. If you get it, good. If not, oh well.

It's all luck of the draw on getting selected for beta testing. Would you like to be in beta testing, make friends, then come the start of the game you or your friends can't get your names so you have to choose new ones and then you won't find each other?

Belcrono wrote:
I can't really say I see your logic here. You say that Beta testers already get an advantage in that they get to test the game pre-release, which gives them an edge, I agree. But then you say that since they already have an advantage why should they not get even more of an "advantage"? (In this case via keeping their names)


Since when is having a name an advantage?

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 2:40pm by PaladinStargazer
#23 Mar 19 2010 at 12:41 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
I think it would be fair if we were given a completely clean slate when the retail version of FFXIV goes live. One of the things about starting a new MMORPG is that you don't have to spend ages at the name select screen typing in names and having an error message pop up saying, "That name has been taken." Doesn't it feel like the game isn't so 'shiny and new'?

I know a lot of people want to play FFXIV because it's a fresh start with a whole bunch of other new players versus FFXI. Doesn't having other people get even a small head start take that away?

And it sounds like the developer was hinting that you NEED to have both first and last names. I really, really hope they don't make you.
#24 Mar 19 2010 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
PaladinStargazer wrote:
When the @#%^ did I say they were heroes or even come close to saying they were anything like that? It's an equal opportunity chance of getting into beta. You register for a chance to get beta and there you go. If you get it, good. If not, oh well.


Actually, it's technically not, because they have to choose people based on certain statistics. Everyone is not given an equal chance because they need to include players that reflect many different aspects of the testing from computer type to how many hours a week they plan on playing. This creates differentiating percentages.

Quote:
Would you like to be in beta testing, make friends, then come the start of the game you or your friends can't get your names so you have to choose new ones and then you won't find each other?


If people are honestly so stupid as to not figure out a way to keep in contact with their "new friends" to solve these types of problems, then I don't know what the world is coming to. Who says they would even all be on the same server? Who says people will even WANT to keep the names? Then will people freak out they can't find their friend who decided to change their name?
#25 Mar 19 2010 at 12:59 PM Rating: Decent
*
91 posts
To the people who are stressing the name thing, why dont you just get FFXIII or any other offline game and you can have any name you want?
When your dealing with 5,000 maybe 10,000 people per server, the odds of the game doing/having exactly what "you" want are pretty slim. Working as a community is what gets you ahead in MMO's.
If it bothers you enough you have to argue on a forum, you prob take what is a game way to seriously.

P.S. Where is the promise you would get your desired game name anyways? You think you will be the first person on the server? Odds of that happening are pretty slim. And if its a name your worried about, its because its a popular game name or something along those lines, really cant say you have any right to it what so ever.

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 3:01pm by RockFischNC
____________________________
_________________________________________
RockFisch, Tarutaru
San d'Oria Rank 10
99 Smn,56 Whm,20 Rng,25 Blm,25 Thf,11 Nin
Gilgamesh Server
Playtime EST
#26 Mar 19 2010 at 1:01 PM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
PaladinStargazer wrote:


Since when is having a name an advantage?

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 2:40pm by PaladinStargazer


It isn't an advantage to have a name, but to get to choose your name long before others do is, if you are someone who really cares about it. The wording might have been a bit off, which was why I said "advantage". What I was getting at was just that I don't see the logic in a statement like: "they already have an advantage, and let's reward them more for their efforts. I mean why not?"

For me it feels like they already get a large enough reward by being in beta, I don't see how actively trying to reward them more is something positive. Especially considering there obvisouly are people out there who care about it.

Personally I can't say I care, because it would be just like starting any other game after release and I usually don't have issues getting a name I like anyway. Some people do however, and I think they make a pretty good case. To me the only valid argument for why beta testers should get to keep their names is that it makes it easier for them to recognize friends from beta, but let's face it: if people care that much and want to keep in contact, they can do it in so many ways via forums etc that the validity of the argument kind of wanes imo.

Equality between beta testers and non-beta testers (to the extent it is possible) is for me a stronger argument as to why this should not be implemented.
#27 Mar 19 2010 at 1:05 PM Rating: Default
***
1,146 posts
Well since the servers goes live on Asia time it makes getting charactersnames hard as it is already so i can understand why people want their names sooner if they get the chance in beta.
#28 Mar 19 2010 at 1:16 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Bardalicious wrote:
People are obviously going to make in game friends while they beta test. It's only reasonable to let them keep their names so that they can still recognize each other after beta is over and real game begins.


I definitely agree. In a sense yes, it is a little unfair to those of us who aren't beta testing, but it's a really minor quibble. I think it's a lot more important that people who make friends in the beta are easily able to keep up with each other, so I'm willing to deal with having my name taken (really, you should always have a few good ones prepared anyway). If that's too much for someone, then they're probably placing a little too much stress on something that's just a triviality.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#29 Mar 19 2010 at 1:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
38 posts
really? wining about a name?
man we really are hurting for new info to speculate over if its coming to this.

If i get into beta, im going to try to take one the most obvious names that the children would want.
Hopefully I can get Sephiroth or Cloud, and then take that from beta to my server for release, and roll a new character and never use sephiroth or cloud just so nobody else can use it.
____________________________

COGS
LV75 NIN, LV 75 DRK
Pandemonium Server
#30 Mar 19 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
Eske wrote:
Bardalicious wrote:
People are obviously going to make in game friends while they beta test. It's only reasonable to let them keep their names so that they can still recognize each other after beta is over and real game begins.


I definitely agree. In a sense yes, it is a little unfair to those of us who aren't beta testing, but it's a really minor quibble. I think it's a lot more important that people who make friends in the beta are easily able to keep up with each other, so I'm willing to deal with having my name taken (really, you should always have a few good ones prepared anyway). If that's too much for someone, then they're probably placing a little too much stress on something that's just a triviality.


I'll probably be flamed all to **** for this.... buuuuuuuuut....

This wouldn't be a problem if (at least a similar system to) POL existed in XIV. Say what you want about it being a pain in the ***. But as a communication tool I've seen none better for an MMO.
#31 Mar 19 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Is it even possible to get names like that? I thought SE "locked" certain names, so they couldn't be used at all.

EDIT: I am sorry, but I hate POL. Good communication tool or not it was the biggest load of crap I have ever seen been implemented in a mmo. I really hope they have nothing even remotely similar in 14.

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 3:31pm by Belcrono
#32 Mar 19 2010 at 1:29 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
I'll probably be flamed all to **** for this.... buuuuuuuuut....

This wouldn't be a problem if (at least a similar system to) POL existed in XIV. Say what you want about it being a pain in the ***. But as a communication tool I've seen none better for an MMO.


What was the knock on POL? I guess it was a little clunky, but it never bothered me much.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#33 Mar 19 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Eske wrote:
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
I'll probably be flamed all to **** for this.... buuuuuuuuut....

This wouldn't be a problem if (at least a similar system to) POL existed in XIV. Say what you want about it being a pain in the ***. But as a communication tool I've seen none better for an MMO.


What was the knock on POL? I guess it was a little clunky, but it never bothered me much.


Er, well... everyone seems to HATE POL lol. I didn't mind it at all.

The fact that you could send messages to offline friends, search for other players, customize your profile, even e-mail seems pretty cool to me.

*edit*
haha, there's proof for ya. Even MENTIONING the dreaded POL got me a rate down on the other post. Whatever... Smiley: laugh

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 12:35pm by Osarion
#34 Mar 19 2010 at 1:53 PM Rating: Good
**
621 posts
I liked the music in POL
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#35 Mar 19 2010 at 1:59 PM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
COGSs wrote:
really? wining about a name?
man we really are hurting for new info to speculate over if its coming to this.

If i get into beta, im going to try to take one the most obvious names that the children would want.
Hopefully I can get Sephiroth or Cloud, and then take that from beta to my server for release, and roll a new character and never use sephiroth or cloud just so nobody else can use it.


Looks like someone else is hurting for a new way to make people whine even more. You really think this statement doesn't make you look like a child? No one in this thread is "whining." Unless of course whining means disagreeing with you.

Maybe I should take this over to the "is man inherently good or evil?" thread as some supporting evidence for people's claims.
#36 Mar 19 2010 at 2:10 PM Rating: Decent
**
346 posts
Quote:
Now we're going to have a swarm of Sephiroth's and Cloud's. Awesome Smiley: laugh


Aww come on, A 6 player party named, Sephiroth, SephirothX, XSepherothX, Cloud, CloudX, XCloudX, running by me would make me laugh my A** off.

And In 14 you could have a Party consisting of Cloud Jones, Cloud Thompson, Cloud James, Cloud Williams, Cloud Johnson, and Cloud Jacobi. How awesome would that be!

We could build parties and invite people for their uber cool names instead of their useful Job, lol.(Sarcasm, please tell me you noticed)

But seriously,
I don't mind Beta Testers getting first name pick, after all, they're the ones who have to deal with walking through walls, crashing every 5 minutes, and letting the Devs know what works and what fails so that we, the launch players, can have a decent gaming experience.
#37 Mar 19 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
@ bardalicious:

or they could exercise common sense and get each other's emails... ending up on the same server when retail is released will require a LITTLE more coordination than simply remembering the name of someone you played with in the beta
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#38 Mar 19 2010 at 3:02 PM Rating: Default
*
134 posts
Eske wrote:
Bardalicious wrote:
People are obviously going to make in game friends while they beta test. It's only reasonable to let them keep their names so that they can still recognize each other after beta is over and real game begins.


I definitely agree. In a sense yes, it is a little unfair to those of us who aren't beta testing, but it's a really minor quibble. I think it's a lot more important that people who make friends in the beta are easily able to keep up with each other, so I'm willing to deal with having my name taken (really, you should always have a few good ones prepared anyway). If that's too much for someone, then they're probably placing a little too much stress on something that's just a triviality.


There's this amazing new technology someone invented called e-mail. You should check it out sometime; it's good stuffs.
#39 Mar 19 2010 at 3:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
I don't agree with people in a CLOSED beta getting to reserve names.

I don't mind people in an OPEN beta being able to reserve names.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#40 Mar 19 2010 at 3:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
54 posts
Quote:
What do you people do when you join a forums or play a new game and your name is taken? Do you cry to the owner of said product?


Funny story: I was playing Call of Duty one day on Xbox 360 when I got a message from some stranger. Surprisingly, it wasn't a 10th prestige message, it was from a kid who wanted my Gamertag. He actually asked me if I was willing to pay however much it costs to change my Gamertag so he could have it.

Quote:
Grow up.


That's what I told him.
____________________________
Xaral-Ifrit Server
#41 Mar 19 2010 at 3:43 PM Rating: Decent
*
108 posts
PaladinStargazer wrote:
It's an equal opportunity chance of getting into beta. You register for a chance to get beta and there you go. If you get it, good. If not, oh well.

Unless everyone has a 100% chance of getting into the beta at the same time, I'm going to have to disagree. Like it or not, it's a race for some names, and allowing the beta testers to keep theirs is like staging a marathon where some of the runners are allowed onto the course hours before everyone else.

It's not like launch day, when anyone who spends their money will get to play. Notwithstanding the fact that some testers will make a positive contribution, and thereby feel entitled to keep their names as some sort of reward for their efforts, there will be people on the sidelines who would have welcomed the chance to do the same, but were unable to do so, through no fault of their own other than bad luck. Even if everyone eventually ends up accepted into an open test phase before the official launch, there's no escaping the fact that other people will have been there for a long time already.

The easiest way to resolve this issue fairly is with a full wipe before launch, names included. If S-E feels like rewarding testers, let them find a less contentious way of doing so.
#42 Mar 19 2010 at 4:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
All posters, please take a valium before posting in this thread again.
#43 Mar 19 2010 at 4:18 PM Rating: Default
38 posts
I'm fairly certain there will be at least one server without the name "Biceps McKinley" taken, so no problem here.
#44 Mar 19 2010 at 4:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
OH NO! Sephiroth will be taken!

So will Cloud, and every other FF character name and I'll have to resort to putting X's in it or misspelling it slightly!


No one takes LouIsCool, so I'm not worried. Honestly who gets all worried about NAMES? Have you never played an MMO later than the release date? Ever MMO I've ever played I was late to the party. Also, there's going to be like maybe 40,000 testers in the closed beta, and then an OPEN BETA.

So just play the open beta you big whiner and stop creating useless topics when this already had a topic.
____________________________


#45 Mar 19 2010 at 4:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I find it retarded that they're taking the time to care about XIV beta player names, but people who subscribed to FFXI for six years get to lose their name to someone who doesn't play anymore. Talk about mixed signals.
#46 Mar 19 2010 at 4:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Pikko wrote:
I find it retarded that they're taking the time to care about XIV beta player names, but people who subscribed to FFXI for six years get to lose their name to someone who doesn't play anymore. Talk about mixed signals.


Again, Pikko makes the most important point in a thread.

"We care about your names, but not in XI"

Condolences again Pikko, I'm glad I don't have to go through that on Siren ;_;

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 6:31pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#47 Mar 19 2010 at 4:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
Thanks Louiscool. I'm going to feel sick on Monday. I wouldn't have that kind of attachment to a beta name. I don't really see how anyone could form the same kind of attachment to a name in six months that they do over the course of years. Though I guess if you take your usual name it would matter, but being a new game I would think you can just try servers until you get it.
#48 Mar 19 2010 at 4:48 PM Rating: Good
**
793 posts
wow... pikko used moderately bad language, thus proving this really is a big **** off.

i think many good reasons have been raised as to why this is bs. i honestly can't understand why people are even trying to justify the absurdity of s-e's decision on this...
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#49 Mar 19 2010 at 4:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I actually cuss like a sailor if I know my kids aren't around. Smiley: lol

I actually find it pretty insulting that they put more value into a beta name than what they're doing in XI.
#50 Mar 19 2010 at 5:11 PM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
@ bardalicious:

or they could exercise common sense and get each other's emails... ending up on the same server when retail is released will require a LITTLE more coordination than simply remembering the name of someone you played with in the beta


I'm not saying that there isn't coordination outside of the game. In FFXI, for me, at least, I called my friends by their main character's names both in game and on 3rd party instant messengers. It seems like a lot more trouble to me for a beta tester to have to choose a new name rather than someone who is just starting out having to pick their 2nd favorite.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#51 Mar 19 2010 at 5:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
737 posts
Square Enix wrote:
We need to put some rule in place in the event a new player chooses the same first and last name as a beta player before the beta player is transferred


This sounds like the Beta player is going to be sh*t out of luck... or they better be. First name to be created when it goes live should win.

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 6:20pm by Displace
____________________________
« Previous 1 2 3
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (13)