Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Beta characters name.. transfer... WHAT?! Follow

#52 Mar 19 2010 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
27 posts
Thumbs down to keeping your name. Its the exact argument as why shouldn't they just be able to keep your full character so I won't repeat it all..

Taking part in the beta is it's own reward. SE certainly doesn't 'owe' you anything for it. For the maximum amount of fairness everyone should start out the same on release date.

Or is this really a thread about who's already playing beta? ^.^
____________________________
FFXI: 75BLM, 75THF, 58NIN, 52WHM, 49WAR, 43 SMN
WoW lvl 80: Shaman, Paladin, Warlock, Rogue, Mage
#53 Mar 19 2010 at 6:08 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
@ bardalicious:

or they could exercise common sense and get each other's emails... ending up on the same server when retail is released will require a LITTLE more coordination than simply remembering the name of someone you played with in the beta
Why would someone give every person they come in contact with during the beta their email address...?

It's more of a "oh hey you're <name> from the beta right?" instead of throwing everything up for grabs. If you think that's not a big enough deal, keep in mind, neither is letting beta testers carry over names.

Aion did the same thing, it's common for MMOs to reserve names for the people who took time to alpha/beta test their game as a little thank you for their efforts.

Am I worried about "bsphil" being taken when FFXIV goes live? No.



Edited, Mar 19th 2010 7:10pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#54 Mar 19 2010 at 6:40 PM Rating: Decent
*
100 posts
I'm a little worried my name of choice might be taken. It's from a SMT game, that's all I'm going to say. I used it in FFXI. If it's taken I have a plethora of other names I can use, but I will be irked as I've used that name for every multiplayer game I've played since D2.
____________________________
WTB Pet class, preferably a magic based one.
#55 Mar 19 2010 at 7:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I'm going to be lame this time around and use a book character.
#56 Mar 19 2010 at 7:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
74 posts
For the people complaining about names being taken if people from beta get to transfer them into retail, consider the server merge that is about to happen in FFXI. Imagine playing for several years only to have a server merge and when you log in you get prompted to change your name.

Is it fair? Does it relate? Seriously, not getting your name on a few select servers in a new game should be expected. Losing your character name after years of game-play is something that I can understand being frustrated over.

(BTW - Asura gets to keep their names, it's Pandemonium that will feel the hurt. *Evil SE Laugh*)
____________________________
Bradybones (Formerly Jesper)- Asura
75BST 75RDM 72BLU 60BLM 47PUP 37WAR 37THF
37NIN 37WHM 31SMN 34DRG 32DNC 30DRK ETC
Cook-70 Wood-67 Fish-47 Alch-28
Windurst Rank 8
CoP 6-4

My FFXI Blog: http://onceuponafinalfantasy.blogspot.com/
My Writing Blog: http://www.huntingthemuse.com/
#57 Mar 19 2010 at 8:30 PM Rating: Decent
**
727 posts
I'm going to use the same name I used for 6 years in FFXI. It was a two word name that I conjoined for FFXI since you couldn't have a surname there. Its not my screen name here, but will work out as a first and last name quite well for FFXIV. And since I have never seen it anywhere in a game or on the webs I'm not particularly worried it will be taken.

I do agree with Pikko however that it seems quite lame that SE is worried about beta tester names yet doesn't give a rats *** about long time FFXI customers.

Edited, Mar 19th 2010 10:32pm by IfritsFreylin
____________________________
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

#58 Mar 19 2010 at 9:01 PM Rating: Decent
*
104 posts
PaladinStargazer wrote:
What are you talking about?

Quote:
Q: Do you plan to let players transfer their character name, etc, from the beta test into the final release version of the game? [For people unhappy with the notion of beta testers getting a head start, they seem to only be referring to name/appearance, though it is not fully specified.]

A: We do plan to allow that, but when official service starts we will have to add new worlds and players may have to transfer. We need to put some rule in place in the event a new player chooses the same first and last name as a beta player before the beta player is transferred over.


What's so bad about allowing them to keep their character name? I don't think SE is crazy enough to let people from beta keep their character levels as well.


I really don't care about the name. I've already used a different name for FFXI than any other MMO, anyway.

I'm more concerned about the etc part. The fact that it is not fully specified somewhat worries me. I'm just paranoid, yeah?
#59 Mar 19 2010 at 10:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
How bout yall post these names that you want to use that are so incredibly common that you will obviously NOT get it if you don't get into the beta test.....

Please, I want to see these names, because other than Cloud Strife (should be a bannable offense to try and even select this name), I can't quite think of what you guys are thinking will be so common that 15-30 servers will all have this name taken.
#60 Mar 19 2010 at 11:20 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
****
6,470 posts
xXMalevolenceXx wrote:
Eske wrote:
Bardalicious wrote:
People are obviously going to make in game friends while they beta test. It's only reasonable to let them keep their names so that they can still recognize each other after beta is over and real game begins.


I definitely agree. In a sense yes, it is a little unfair to those of us who aren't beta testing, but it's a really minor quibble. I think it's a lot more important that people who make friends in the beta are easily able to keep up with each other, so I'm willing to deal with having my name taken (really, you should always have a few good ones prepared anyway). If that's too much for someone, then they're probably placing a little too much stress on something that's just a triviality.


There's this amazing new technology someone invented called e-mail. You should check it out sometime; it's good stuffs.


No...really?

Thanks for clearing that up pal. Now I'd invite you to notice that I never suggested that it was impossible for them to stay in touch, I just suggested that it would be easier this way.

Edited, Mar 20th 2010 1:31am by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#61 Mar 19 2010 at 11:36 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
743 posts
Friday threads, gotta love them. This needs a poll, and I'd vote to let beta testers keep their names.
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#62 Mar 19 2010 at 11:46 PM Rating: Default
*
144 posts
They don't keep there level, some of u people cant read, only says names. And seeing as it didnt happen in 11 it wont happen in 14 keepin lvls after beta.
____________________________
Server: Alexander
Character Name: Lovestospoon
Level: 75 WHM
Crafts: 100 Cooking
#63 Mar 20 2010 at 12:54 AM Rating: Good
*
92 posts
After seven years of playing ffxi, I would say I am rather attached to my name. It is the only name I have used for ffxi since I have only played on one character.

After so long, the character name becomes an identity of a sort. That is why SE is allowing for name transfers and keeping same physical appearances. It doesn't really bother me that they get to choose their names before we do. Hopefully most beta players are ffxi players and just transfer their name.(My hope for most beta players to be ffxi players stems from SE's interest in FFXI player recations.)

Will I be upset if someone takes my name? Meh, kinda. I'd live though.
____________________________
RDM75/SCH71/BLU49/BLM39/WHM38/DRK37/NIN37

Quote:
Every time you take someone else's post and quote it word for word without posting anything else like it's your own opinion, God kills a kitten.

#64 Mar 20 2010 at 8:44 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Lovestospoon wrote:
They don't keep there level, some of u people cant read, only says names. And seeing as it didnt happen in 11 it wont happen in 14 keepin lvls after beta.


Not sure who or what you are referring to considering all the debate I've seen so far has been more or less only about names, not levels. Not being able to read indeed.

Edited, Mar 20th 2010 10:45am by Belcrono
#65 Mar 20 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Decent
*
68 posts
My guess is this thread started off by accident, someone didn't read correctly, and thought beta characters transferred. Someone posted sort of calling it out, then he just went along with it and changed the post name, to not feel so bad for having misread. This thread is just going down in flames, should probably just lock it. No sense in arguing over a name now... "lol".

p.s. Id've probably done the same thing, if I made an "oops" thread.
____________________________
FFXI- (long)Retired: 75 WAR/DRG/SAM SJ PLD/NIN
WoW- Retired: 90 Tank monk, 90 Tank Druid, 85 Tank DK, 85 Tank War, 85 everything else.
(I love to tank)
#66 Mar 22 2010 at 9:22 PM Rating: Decent
*
205 posts
Sorry if i repeated this, only read half of the 1st page. This is what i think.

I think all beta tester that buy the retail and want to keep their name will be transfer to a specfic server.

Its something like a server created for them so that they could join up with people/friends met during testing, which bring the need/want to keeping their name.

If they want to join other server they have to give up their "rights" to keeping their name from beta.

*Additionally if most beta member remains in that spefic server (so that they could keep their name), u will likely be able to join a server without hundreds of ppl having a head start knowledge on wat to do and how to do it.

*They shouldn't restrict new play from joining that spefic server tho.

Edited, Mar 23rd 2010 3:25am by Sleepymagi
____________________________
I'm Xabac/Sleepymagi from FFXI Odin Server, if u hate/love me send me a /tell.
#67 Mar 23 2010 at 5:22 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
276 posts
Hardly a big deal compared to FFXI, where a lot of people I know just lost their names they've used for 6+ years when we merged into Valefor yesterday. No one will have used those names in FFXIV (and with surnames they won't be the same as your FFXI names anyway).

____________________________
FFXIV - Khyra Katze [Cactuar]
#68 Mar 24 2010 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Just because SE decides to do one really really messed up thing, does not diminish how bad of a move something else might be though. I agree their "name-debaucle" coming with the server merge is really messed up, and beta characters getting to keep their names when XIV hits the shelves pales in comparison as far as "messed up" things go. However, I think this thread shows that there are enough people out there who consider this to also be a problem, albeit a smaller one, and I don't think it should be ignored. Both issues should be/have been adressed.

In light of the server merge name problems(And interview info) though, I think it is pretty clear where SE stands on the issue, but that does not mean people should not let SE know what they think/feel about it.
#69 Mar 24 2010 at 11:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
so, the people who will move directly from the beta to the retail version, who also will probably have the retail version already installed on their machine, and already have a customization picked out, etc etc, will have to beat anyone who has to buy and install the game or DL it?

The names WILL already be taken if a beta tester really wants a particular name, if for no other reason than they probably will already have had it.
#70 Mar 24 2010 at 11:48 PM Rating: Default
*
205 posts
I doubt the beta test program will be the same as the retail ones. SE will want those beta tester to buy (thus earning $$$) the retail also.
____________________________
I'm Xabac/Sleepymagi from FFXI Odin Server, if u hate/love me send me a /tell.
#71 Mar 25 2010 at 12:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
164 posts
Quote:
Hardly a big deal compared to FFXI, where a lot of people I know just lost their names they've used for 6+ years when we merged into Valefor yesterday. No one will have used those names in FFXIV (and with surnames they won't be the same as your FFXI names anyway).


Really? What server merged into Valefor? I was on Valefor for 4-5 years.


Quote:
I doubt the beta test program will be the same as the retail ones. SE will want those beta tester to buy (thus earning $$$) the retail also.


A lot of MMORPGs update the beta client to the retail version. They would still need to buy the retail copy though because they would need some sort of key to activate their beta account to play retail.

Edited, Mar 25th 2010 2:54am by EliteSerge

Edited, Mar 25th 2010 2:55am by EliteSerge
____________________________
Serge Luminaire of Mysidia
Member of Blades of Valor
~ A FFXI/FFXIV Linkshell Community
_________________________________________
Retired from FFXI - EliteSerge of Valefor
Mains: 75 WHM, 75 PLD, 72 NIN, 72 THF
#72 Mar 25 2010 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,099 posts
I'm not actually sure what the complaint it. When FFXIV goes live there will be more than 1 server, probably be about 20 servers. A Beta player will pick their server and have their name, that leaves 19 other servers without a reserved name? What are the odds that...

a) you pick the same FIRST and LAST names as a Beta player
b) you pick the same SERVER as that beta player

I'd say the odds are pretty slim, unless you have a really common name like Cloud Strife.

The options are simple. You won't know if the person taking the name...

a) picked the name before you got online to the server
b) were a beta player with a reserved name

Guess what though, it's a brand new game, you can just pick another server! Unless of course all your friends, family, linkshell, hookers decided that you'd start on that particular server, in which case, point A and B apply.

Think of it this way, the game will be released on day X, SE may introduce a "pre-order" special start-up, where people who pre-order can play the game 1 week before anyone else, unfair? No, but they will get to choose a name before people who don't pre-order.

Next you have location, it's going to be released worldwide on the same day, but due to time zone differences people in the UK will get the game at least 5 hours before anyone in America, should they not be allowed to choose a name because it's unfair that they are 5 hours ahead of America?

What about Australian players, they get the short end of the stick every time, a huge continent means distribution is a pain and all the good names will be gone. Heck, my friend in Finland is still waiting for FF13 to arrive, most people have completed it by now.

So seriously, what the **** is the complaint? And no, my name has never been taken in any MMO apart from by me (that I know of).
____________________________
A strange obsession, mine. But better to be addicted to smartphones and gismos than cocaine or ***, I suppose. Well, I don’t know, the result is the same after all, very little sleep, great expense and horrific mess everywhere.

-- Stephen Fry
#73 Mar 25 2010 at 12:38 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
As long as it's just name/appearance and they aren't receiving any physical advantage (in terms of levels/skills/money/items) over new players, I really don't see the problem. I personally don't care one way or the other, but the only reason I could see for someone to complain is if they were planning to use a common name they stole from another game/movie/book character and are (rightfully) worried someone else will get it before them since the character is so popular. And to those people I say: Try being more original. No one but you cares that you can't be named Cloud or Legolas. And we'll probably all make fun of the guy who got the name before you anyway.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#74 Mar 25 2010 at 1:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
Lexxuk wrote:
a) you pick the same FIRST and LAST names as a Beta player
b) you pick the same SERVER as that beta player


I always thought that you can still only have one person of the first name on the server, otherwise how would you send tells? Surnames are usually like a character "decoration" for lack of a better word. I think you'll still have to be the only Lexxuk on ServerB to get the name.
#75 Mar 25 2010 at 2:13 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,099 posts
Pikko wrote:
Lexxuk wrote:
a) you pick the same FIRST and LAST names as a Beta player
b) you pick the same SERVER as that beta player


I always thought that you can still only have one person of the first name on the server, otherwise how would you send tells? Surnames are usually like a character "decoration" for lack of a better word. I think you'll still have to be the only Lexxuk on ServerB to get the name.


From the quote in the second post:

Quote:
We need to put some rule in place in the event a new player chooses the same first and last name as a beta player before the beta player is transferred over.


That suggests to me that people will have unique first/last names, so you may have John Smith and John Doe, or John Doe and Jane Doe, or in your case Pikko Pots (I sincerely hope you're one of the lucky ones to get into Beta so you can claim that!)

/edit - sending tells, /tell "first last" possibly? I have no idea but it opens up the possibility of having people with real names, well, real fantasy names.

Edited, Mar 25th 2010 4:15pm by Lexxuk
____________________________
A strange obsession, mine. But better to be addicted to smartphones and gismos than cocaine or ***, I suppose. Well, I don’t know, the result is the same after all, very little sleep, great expense and horrific mess everywhere.

-- Stephen Fry
#76 Mar 30 2010 at 3:36 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
I lol'd at pikko pots :) i do hope that you can have that one.
I see this is going to be a bad topic all over but i doubt my name will be taken and if not i have a few reserves from the other MMO's ive played.
Comiserations to the people who lost their names in the mergers.
I hope we can all have our names in FFXIV i just hope that the number of clouds and seprioths is reduced by some miracle maybe even block it :)
I dont know how many cloudXxXXXXXxxX i can take :)
-Klick-
____________________________
---------------------------------------------------
Wow
Klick Troll Rogue 80 *Burning Steppes*
Alendra Tauren Shaman 80 *Burning Steppes*
Kenzer Undead Lock 80 *Burning Steppes*
FFXI
Klick - Ragnarak *RETIRED*
75BST/75THF/50WAR/50MNK/75WHT
#77 Mar 30 2010 at 10:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
44 posts
Its not really as huge of a deal as some people are making it out to be. If you are that worried about geting the name you want. Just make it a point to be there right when the servers pop up so you can get your name. Common names are picked fast but not as fast as you would think. I can remeber when vanguard first opened up and alot of the very common names that people would want were not taken when I had gotten on. I picked up a few of them just for the lols but there was about ten very common fantasy/d&d names that handt been taken a few days into the release.
#78 Mar 30 2010 at 1:55 PM Rating: Default
*
134 posts
Eske wrote:
xXMalevolenceXx wrote:
Eske wrote:
Bardalicious wrote:
People are obviously going to make in game friends while they beta test. It's only reasonable to let them keep their names so that they can still recognize each other after beta is over and real game begins.


I definitely agree. In a sense yes, it is a little unfair to those of us who aren't beta testing, but it's a really minor quibble. I think it's a lot more important that people who make friends in the beta are easily able to keep up with each other, so I'm willing to deal with having my name taken (really, you should always have a few good ones prepared anyway). If that's too much for someone, then they're probably placing a little too much stress on something that's just a triviality.


There's this amazing new technology someone invented called e-mail. You should check it out sometime; it's good stuffs.


No...really?

Thanks for clearing that up pal. Now I'd invite you to notice that I never suggested that it was impossible for them to stay in touch, I just suggested that it would be easier this way.

Edited, Mar 20th 2010 1:31am by Eske


You didn't suggest it would be easier. You said, "I think ti's a lot more important that people who make friends in the beta are easily able to keep up with each other..." We don't need to be able to keep our beta names because email works just fine. Deciding to let players keep their names because it's easier to find each other rather than send an email is stupid. Besides, you'd have to somehow contact your friends to tell them what server you are on anyway, regardless of your name, which makes your argument pretty weak.

Letting players keep their beta names sucks IMO.
#79 Mar 31 2010 at 11:30 AM Rating: Good
*
163 posts
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

#80 Apr 01 2010 at 5:11 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
Why are people so increasingly stupid on here lately? How hard is it to understand that giving Alpha/Beta testers ANY advantage whatsoever over other people is wrong and a bad idea.

It's bad enough that they choose these people to Alpha/Beta test randomly, and a lot of people who REALLY want in end up not getting in. They aren't doing us a "Service" by testing the game, they willingly signed up for it. If they didn't want to, they shouldn't have and should not have taken opportunities from people who would willingly volunteer their services and love simply testing the game.

By testing the game, these people already have the huge advantage of being randomly selected (extremely lucky) and getting to experience the game before anyone else. They get to find out how things work, they get to explore and find where what and how, they get all these opportunities and they get the ability to play the game before anyone else. If that's not enough **** incentive to Alpha/Beta test then DON'T DO IT.

As you can clearly see in this thread, to a lot of people a name is very important to them. People want the ability to snag cool names on equal footing when the retail versions go live. Giving people the ability to "reserve" names just because they were "chosen" by square enix is extremely rude, unfair, bad business practice and downright upsetting.

I love how SO many people on the internet feel like "If it's not important to me then it's just not important at all". No, to a lot of people this might not be a big deal, but to many many people it is and doing something that is logically and obviously unfair to these people is just... Beyond stupid.

You don't give Alpha/Beta testers advantages, at all, it's wrong to do so. They get a huge advantage by getting to know the game and experience it before anyone else. They aren't giving us some "service" for their hard work and effort, they're getting to play a video game than millions of people want to play before anyone else. Wake the **** up and open your eyes about that.

No, Beta/Alpha testers should not get any name priority over normal people when retail goes live.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#81 Apr 01 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Decent
*
170 posts
EndlessJourney wrote:
Why are people so increasingly stupid on here lately? How hard is it to understand that giving Alpha/Beta testers ANY advantage whatsoever over other people is wrong and a bad idea.

It's bad enough that they choose these people to Alpha/Beta test randomly, and a lot of people who REALLY want in end up not getting in. They aren't doing us a "Service" by testing the game, they willingly signed up for it. If they didn't want to, they shouldn't have and should not have taken opportunities from people who would willingly volunteer their services and love simply testing the game.

By testing the game, these people already have the huge advantage of being randomly selected (extremely lucky) and getting to experience the game before anyone else. They get to find out how things work, they get to explore and find where what and how, they get all these opportunities and they get the ability to play the game before anyone else. If that's not enough **** incentive to Alpha/Beta test then DON'T DO IT.

As you can clearly see in this thread, to a lot of people a name is very important to them. People want the ability to snag cool names on equal footing when the retail versions go live. Giving people the ability to "reserve" names just because they were "chosen" by square enix is extremely rude, unfair, bad business practice and downright upsetting.

I love how SO many people on the internet feel like "If it's not important to me then it's just not important at all". No, to a lot of people this might not be a big deal, but to many many people it is and doing something that is logically and obviously unfair to these people is just... Beyond stupid.

You don't give Alpha/Beta testers advantages, at all, it's wrong to do so. They get a huge advantage by getting to know the game and experience it before anyone else. They aren't giving us some "service" for their hard work and effort, they're getting to play a video game than millions of people want to play before anyone else. Wake the @#%^ up and open your eyes about that.

No, Beta/Alpha testers should not get any name priority over normal people when retail goes live.


I completely agree with this post. I don't see how its fair that someone who wins the "Square Enix lottery" and gets a beta invite should get advantages over the average person. They are already going to have the advantage of knowing the game and quests before anyone else (thus being able to level, skill a craft, and figure out how to make gil faster and easier than those who were not as fortunate). If someone from the beta wants a specific name, they should create a single server for only the beta testers and allow name transfers to that server.

I understand that with having two part names it will be very rare when a "this name is taken" will occur. But SE has seen for themselves that giving one group an extra advantage with selection of a name will cause problems. For example, look at the server merges. There were (and still are) many people (Pikko included) who were up in arms because the name they wanted so much was already taken. I think this would be a very bad idea to start a new MMO out this way (if indeed it does happen).

Edited, Apr 1st 2010 7:51pm by EklmForever
#82 Apr 01 2010 at 6:40 PM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
I don't see the problem at all.
If someone gets the name you wanted before you it makes no difference if they did it when they were in beta testing, or if they did it because they got home from the store with the full game before you, or they have a mail service that is better than yours, or they have a better connection, or they can type faster than you, or they spent less time in character creation than you, they got there first either way.
Personally I have never had a problem comming up with new and individual names for my chars, if it is taken I just go to another one on my extensive list of potential names. Please don't even mention using your old FFxi names as thats an entirly separate issue.
Just as an example I have 136 names on my list, and I wouldn't have even thought of counting them if this thread did not exist.
#83 Apr 01 2010 at 11:59 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
NumptyHunter wrote:
I don't see the problem at all.


Of course not, even when explained with logic many people can't understand simple concepts, it's alright, you aren't alone.

Quote:
If someone gets the name you wanted before you it makes no difference if they did it when they were in beta testing, or if they did it because they got home from the store with the full game before you, or they have a mail service that is better than yours, or they have a better connection, or they can type faster than you, or they spent less time in character creation than you, they got there first either way.


That may be true, but what you're not understanding is "You don't know till you try" and the fairness of it. Most likely as with most MMORPGs the game will be sold soon before the servers go live, so for a lot of names it will be a race to see who can sign into the server the quickest and snag some highly coveted names. In this case, most people will be on equal footing. If some one beat you to it then hey, they beat you fair in square

Not to mention, a lot of names might not get taken the second the servers go live, but might get taken in the first week or two of people signing up. Well, when you reserve people their beta names you're giving them months of a head start on such things and as beta goes on even more and more people will be joining and "reserving" these names, all because they were "Chosen" by square enix. I don't think being "Chosen" by a company when you willingly want to participate in something should give you such a advantage over others who weren't so fortunate. In this kind of a business when running a MMORPG and making it a community, to create good vibes, it's a bad way to start out.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#84 Apr 02 2010 at 3:23 AM Rating: Good
**
566 posts
Only unimaginative people need to worry about their highly coveted name being taken. If you're not using a common real world name, or one from a famous movie/book/game you likely have nothing to worry about. If you are, you should already be well aware of the need to have back-ups. It's not that serious.
#85 Apr 02 2010 at 5:54 AM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
That is not really the point though. It is about having a level playing field to the greatest extent possible.
#86 Apr 02 2010 at 6:41 AM Rating: Decent
**
566 posts
Belcrono wrote:
That is not really the point though. It is about having a level playing field to the greatest extent possible.



The greatest extent possible includes banning all beta testers from the retail release, period. Nobody's calling for that, so your point is irrelevant as well. The last 4 words of my last post sum up my opinion of the OP. That's my point.
#87 Apr 02 2010 at 7:14 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
DsComputer wrote:
Belcrono wrote:
That is not really the point though. It is about having a level playing field to the greatest extent possible.



The greatest extent possible includes banning all beta testers from the retail release, period. Nobody's calling for that, so your point is irrelevant as well. The last 4 words of my last post sum up my opinion of the OP. That's my point.


I believe he/she said "As Possible". Letting testers actually play the game because they tested it and not allowing them to reserve things like names BECAUSE they were testers is a completely different matter. Thinking it makes such things irrelevant is completely ignorant. There's a thing called Moderation, you should look it up.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#88 Apr 02 2010 at 7:20 AM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
Quote:
Of course not, even when explained with logic many people can't understand simple concepts, it's alright, you aren't alone.

You are right I don't understand, but please refrain from infering it is because I am stupid, that is a cheap shot.
I don't understand simply because it does not bother me in the slightest and I think you are creating an argument from nothing.
I will say it again, if someone beats you to the name you wanted it does not matter how, c'est la vie, think of another, it not exactly hard for a smart well read person such as yourself I am sure.
#89 Apr 02 2010 at 7:27 AM Rating: Good
***
1,822 posts
NumptyHunter wrote:
Quote:
Of course not, even when explained with logic many people can't understand simple concepts, it's alright, you aren't alone.

You are right I don't understand, but please refrain from infering it is because I am stupid, that is a cheap shot.
I don't understand simply because it does not bother me in the slightest and I think you are creating an argument from nothing.
I will say it again, if someone beats you to the name you wanted it does not matter how, c'est la vie, think of another, it not exactly hard for a smart well read person such as yourself I am sure.


But it does matter how. It's like saying if you're in a car race with some one, it doesn't matter if they beat you if they some how started half a lap ahead of you. If they beat you fair in square, you know that you had a equal chance to win and got beaten fair in square. But when some one gets a advantage over you, because of something you can't control, especially when it's something that's important to a lot of people, then yes they aren't going to be too happy about it. It's the principle of the matter that urks people. Also, I don't think this is a argument from nothing since so many people are angered by it and it's clearly an issue for so many.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#90 Apr 02 2010 at 7:39 AM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
Quote:
But it does matter how.

You won't ever convince me it matters, its the name of a video game character, quite how you can get so worked up over something so inconsequential I do not know!
Personally I think you would be better off spending your time comming up with alternate names than undertaking this futile campaign.


Edited, Apr 2nd 2010 9:39am by NumptyHunter
#91 Apr 02 2010 at 7:45 AM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
EndlessJourney wrote:
DsComputer wrote:
Belcrono wrote:
That is not really the point though. It is about having a level playing field to the greatest extent possible.



The greatest extent possible includes banning all beta testers from the retail release, period. Nobody's calling for that, so your point is irrelevant as well. The last 4 words of my last post sum up my opinion of the OP. That's my point.


I believe he/she said "As Possible". Letting testers actually play the game because they tested it and not allowing them to reserve things like names BECAUSE they were testers is a completely different matter. Thinking it makes such things irrelevant is completely ignorant. There's a thing called Moderation, you should look it up.


I think EndlessJourney sums it up pretty well. We can argue semantics if you want, but I think it was pretty clear that when I said "to the greatest extent possible" banning beta testers from retail release was in no way included as something that would be desirable, even if it was possible. Moderation is indeed a keyword here. I am not a native English speaker and so I realize sometimes I express myself in a way that can be misconstrued pretty easily, but I don't believe this was one of those cases. You just used my wording to make my argument into something it wasn't and I am sorry, but that doesn't make your point more valid, nor does it make my point irrelevant.

When it comes to the importance of letting beta testers keep their names into retail or not I think you are somewhat right. It is not that big of a deal, however, I think the argument for not letting them keep it is stronger than for actually letting them choose before everyone else.

What I meant with my previous comment to your post was simply that you missed your mark somewhat. You just stated that you don't think its that big of a deal, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't make it less of a deal for others. I don't think anyone is trying to make it out to be the end of the world, but it is still something that some people feel is an issue.
#92 Apr 02 2010 at 10:42 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
180 posts
Maybe it doesn't matter to some people, but my character name is my identity. I'm planning to use the same name that I did in FFXI for five years, and if I don't even have a chance to get it on day one because someone happened to pick it in beta I'll be severely disappointed. Your name is how people remember and refer to you, it's more than just a collection of a few letters. Unique names aren't safe either, as the more interesting it is the more likely someone in FFXI will have seen it and want to copy you.

People seem to forget that beta is for TESTING and IMPROVING the game. That is all. Nothing should carry over from beta other than adjustments to the game made in response to player feedback. Those players volunteered their time because, in theory, they wanted to make FFXIV a better game. Their reward is, and should only be, the opportunity to shape the game into something they find more enjoyable to play.
#93 Apr 02 2010 at 10:58 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,550 posts
ITT : People need to L2 put some Xs around thier names.

XxXxCloud SephirothxXxX
____________________________
Mindel wrote:
Don't listen to bisexuals.
Aripyanfar wrote:
All bi's are ****-tarts.
#94 Apr 03 2010 at 1:27 AM Rating: Good
This thread just became moot, due to the latest press release from Square-Enix.

Quote:
Due to the completely unanticipated uproar regarding Beta testers reserving their character names with the retail launch as well as the advantage conferred by advance knowledge of 10% of the game we might not actually keep we have, in the interest of world peace, implemented the following measures.

A: After name selection, a 1096 bit algorithm with an offset for date/time will alter your name. Anyone who gets obscene names as a result of this will be permanently banned from all Square-Enix online products.

B: A careful review of the memory erasing technology used in the 2003 movie "Paycheck" staring Ben Affleck and Uma Thurman has shown it to be feasible with current technology. All Beta testers will have their memory wiped at the end of the test phase, but before retail launch. Any vegetative states, while deeply regretted, shall not be cause for litigation as all Beta testers will sign a release or be removed from the beta program.

Thank you for your concerns and please enjoy our next installment in the Final Fantasy Saga.


I think that pretty much covers all concerns, doesn't it? Well, except for the future vegetables...
#95 Apr 03 2010 at 6:15 AM Rating: Good
*
181 posts
Just an FYI, beta testers have their own FFXIV general discussion forum with profile etc, So its not hard to keep in contact.

However that being said, what's in a name? The only people that would potentially be against this system are people who choose common names like cloud, david, bob etc and those names would go quick even if beta people didn't get to keep names. Sorry to generalise but why else would they cause a fuss?

The name of your character is not an advantage in anyway shape or form nor does it negatively effect you game play experience, besides, its not -YOUR- name anyway.

I already have my name lined up anyway, I think I'll go with Bspill, that's pretty unique...

(Just Kididng)



Edited, Apr 3rd 2010 8:16am by BlackDagger
____________________________
Sasaraixx wrote:
Banalaty wrote:
Why did i just waste my time reading the last 2 pages of this crap?


Because it's a train wreck and we're human?
#96 Apr 03 2010 at 10:31 PM Rating: Decent
Smellybacon wrote:
I'm fairly certain there will be at least one server without the name "Biceps McKinley" taken, so no problem here.
Original names are the best, unless you don't want to be remembered...

Whether I get into beta or not, I'm pretty sure that Mexicanpeeler won't be taken on the server I join. If people want to battle over Cloud and Gandalf, good luck.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#97Nihongoman, Posted: Apr 04 2010 at 2:35 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) This.
#98 Apr 04 2010 at 6:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
813 posts
Quote:
It is about having a level playing field to the greatest extent possible.

That is such an impossible thing to achieve in a worldwide game like FFXIV. When the server launched online for the very first time, you might think you'd be there at the very second it goes online to reserve your name. But the gods of Square-Enix have different plan for you. A minute before the server goes online, your stomach complained about the chilli you ate the night before and BAM! You gotta go to the toilet. You tried to bring your laptop with you to reserve the super special name, but no such luck. Battery died on you, and your sister just accidentally let the dog ate your laptop's cable. You cursed and tried to find a bucket to sit on in front of the PC. But alas, the last bucket was already used to house the cats you just picked from the streets a few days ago. And your stomach was still complaining. So you had to go to the toilet. You tried to do the business super ultra quick. Crap! Ran out of toilet paper. But you had luck this time as you found yesterday's newspaper. You're finally ready to create your character, but then the school bus arrived and your mom yelled at you to not miss it or else!!

Upon returning from school, you found out that Bel Crono has been taken in every single server. Luckily, you were smart enough to improvise and go with Bel Chrono.

But seriously though, my point is that because the launch of the server happens at the same time worldwide, there would be people on one side of the world where they wouldn't be playing FF XIV at the very moment it starts because of real-life commitment (e.g.: work, school, going to the toilet, etc). So it won't be level playing field for everyone. Someone somewhere would be at disadvantage. If you (and everyone else) can understand and tolerate that because of such thing those disadvantaged players would miss out on hours of gameplay at launch, I think you should be able to understand and tolerate that beta players keeping their name is such an irrelevant matter.

I can understand that some people really love their names, and their character names would have special meaning. But seriously, there's always another name for your character that you can use. Think of it as a fresh start for fresh new character, rather than always reusing the same name for all different characters you play.
#99 Apr 04 2010 at 7:39 AM Rating: Good
***
1,822 posts
Vaagan wrote:
Quote:
It is about having a level playing field to the greatest extent possible.

That is such an impossible thing to achieve in a worldwide game like FFXIV. When the server launched online for the very first time, you might think you'd be there at the very second it goes online to reserve your name. But the gods of Square-Enix have different plan for you. A minute before the server goes online, your stomach complained about the chilli you ate the night before and BAM! You gotta go to the toilet. You tried to bring your laptop with you to reserve the super special name, but no such luck. Battery died on you, and your sister just accidentally let the dog ate your laptop's cable. You cursed and tried to find a bucket to sit on in front of the PC. But alas, the last bucket was already used to house the cats you just picked from the streets a few days ago. And your stomach was still complaining. So you had to go to the toilet. You tried to do the business super ultra quick. Crap! Ran out of toilet paper. But you had luck this time as you found yesterday's newspaper. You're finally ready to create your character, but then the school bus arrived and your mom yelled at you to not miss it or else!!

Upon returning from school, you found out that Bel Crono has been taken in every single server. Luckily, you were smart enough to improvise and go with Bel Chrono.

But seriously though, my point is that because the launch of the server happens at the same time worldwide, there would be people on one side of the world where they wouldn't be playing FF XIV at the very moment it starts because of real-life commitment (e.g.: work, school, going to the toilet, etc). So it won't be level playing field for everyone. Someone somewhere would be at disadvantage. If you (and everyone else) can understand and tolerate that because of such thing those disadvantaged players would miss out on hours of gameplay at launch, I think you should be able to understand and tolerate that beta players keeping their name is such an irrelevant matter.

I can understand that some people really love their names, and their character names would have special meaning. But seriously, there's always another name for your character that you can use. Think of it as a fresh start for fresh new character, rather than always reusing the same name for all different characters you play.


Let me explain this once more since a lot of people seem to have a hard to **** near impossible time understanding. Not everyone wants the name Cloud, Sephiroth, or Goku. Some people have names that tie in closer to other aspects of their lives. Maybe it's from their favorite anime? Maybe it's from their favorite TV show, maybe it's their favorite singer or bass player in their favorite band? In these cases they might have quite a good chance if they can be around when the servers go live to snag the name that might be very important to them. It might not be very well known, but when you give BETA players HALF A YEAR OR MORE to take these names up, then guess what? Some one is bound to eventually take up these lesser known names. So anything with any remote resemblance to something well known will probably be unavailable.

Not everything is as god **** 2-D as people try to make it out to be. That's WHY having a level playing field IS so important. Because if you DO lose, there's no question as to "Well was I at a disadvantage"? Also, I know a lot of people like to poke fun and make witty little metaphorical paragraphs about why being equal at the start of a game is no big deal, but if you have one eye and half sense you could deduce the fact that If you can't make it online when the servers go up for personal reasons, then that is your own fault. Even if you can't help it, you still had the chance there for you. When you don't HAVE the chance, if you are willing to be there from the soonest point you possibly can but not have any chance at the name you might want, then there is a problem there. How is this so hard to understand?

Edited, Apr 4th 2010 6:43am by EndlessJourney
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#100 Apr 04 2010 at 7:54 AM Rating: Default
**
346 posts
Quote:
When you don't HAVE the chance, if you are willing to be there from the soonest point you possibly can but not have any chance at the name you might want, then there is a problem there. How is this so hard to understand?


I understand completely....

BooHoo,
Suck it up,
Welcome to life.
#101 Apr 04 2010 at 8:02 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
Elmyrsun wrote:
Quote:
When you don't HAVE the chance, if you are willing to be there from the soonest point you possibly can but not have any chance at the name you might want, then there is a problem there. How is this so hard to understand?


I understand completely....

BooHoo,
Suck it up,
Welcome to life.


Maybe, but you don't seem to understand what a debate is, or what trying to get a change for the better is.

Edited, Apr 4th 2010 7:23am by EndlessJourney
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)