Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Just got Email from Final Fantasy EU about Beta, help??Follow

#1 Mar 29 2010 at 12:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
30 posts
Well, first of all i'm not breaking NDA: I absolutely did not get into Alpha.

Email says testers selected, but sit tight for more opportunities.
Problem: it's from: noreply@member.eu.square-enix.com

Did I sign up for Euro Beta on accident??? :(
If so, will I invalidate my ability to beta test by applying on US site? :(

I'm so disappointed if so..... /sad moogle

Edited, Mar 29th 2010 2:58pm by ogboot
#2 Mar 29 2010 at 1:53 PM Rating: Default
****
4,153 posts
If the message you received is coming from EU Square-enix then you probably did sign up to the wrong site. If you reapp you won't ruin your chances to beta test, you just nullify any previous entries you had.

I'd go ahead and reapply to the NA version of the site so that if you do happen to get in you won't have to download and decipher a german version of the client or something. Don't sweat it.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#3 Mar 29 2010 at 2:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,099 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
I'd go ahead and reapply to the NA version of the site so that if you do happen to get in you won't have to download and decipher a german version of the client or something. Don't sweat it.


Ya know, there is a small country in Europe called Great Britain, and inside that country is a country called England where this language called "English" comes from.....

The EU Client of FFXI was originally only in English, French and German was added later on so it doesn't really matter, my best guess is the Beta servers will all be located in Japan anyhow and the client you have (as long as it isn't Japanese) won't make much of a difference.
____________________________
A strange obsession, mine. But better to be addicted to smartphones and gismos than cocaine or ***, I suppose. Well, I don’t know, the result is the same after all, very little sleep, great expense and horrific mess everywhere.

-- Stephen Fry
#4 Mar 29 2010 at 2:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
30 posts
so what's the consensus? The only reason i'm concerned is that it was written all over the beta site that multiple entries would invalidate your chance to participate.
#5 Mar 29 2010 at 2:19 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
I'm pretty sure they clarified that multiple entries only invalidate any previous entry. If that's true and not another translation error, you can apply for NA Beta and your EU Beta app will disappear. However since there is no support for applications, there's no way to tell if you're completely disqualified. So reapply at your own risk.

Keep in mind too that the EU Beta, even in English, may not be valid with a NA address. So if you decide to stay with your EU application, again, do so at your own risk.

It seems pretty easy to ***** up this Beta app with how complicated it is. Different gaming systems, different countries, different Beta sources (official site vs. Allakhazam), POL ID, SE ID, etc., etc. I'm betting the application process itself weeded out a fair number of people.
#6 Mar 29 2010 at 2:19 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
It's just the newsletter, I imagine ;)
I just got that today - though on a mail I don't remember signing up with and nothing on my normal mail :\
But it is indeed from noreply@member.eu.square-enix.com

http://uman.square-enix-europe.com/tracker.php?doc=FFXIVNL001&code=103389&lang=en&page=email&id=EMAIL

Edited, Mar 29th 2010 4:21pm by Milco
#7 Mar 29 2010 at 2:28 PM Rating: Default
**
621 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
I'm pretty sure they clarified that multiple entries only invalidate any previous entry. If that's true and not another translation error, you can apply for NA Beta and your EU Beta app will disappear. However since there is no support for applications, there's no way to tell if you're completely disqualified. So reapply at your own risk.

Keep in mind too that the EU Beta, even in English, may not be valid with a NA address. So if you decide to stay with your EU application, again, do so at your own risk.

It seems pretty easy to ***** up this Beta app with how complicated it is. Different gaming systems, different countries, different Beta sources (official site vs. Allakhazam), POL ID, SE ID, etc., etc. I'm betting the application process itself weeded out a fair number of people.


it weeded out the weakest of mind
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#8 Mar 29 2010 at 2:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
30 posts
Milco are you in the US? :D
#9 Mar 29 2010 at 2:38 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
Nah, I'm in the EU :P
But maybe you just registered for the newsletter on the EU site?
As far as I know, you don't get the newsletter from signing up for the beta, only for signing up for the newsletter.

And on a side note... There have been seperate applications for english, german and frech beta here.
Not many europeans speak german or french ;)

Edited, Mar 29th 2010 4:44pm by Milco
#10 Mar 29 2010 at 2:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
214 posts
Quote:
Ya know, there is a small country in Europe called Great Britain, and inside that country is a country called England where this language called "English" comes from.....


LOL :D

FWIW i believe they are keeping NA/EU and JP seperate in the alpha/beta so you will want to get into your correct region I would think.

Edited, Mar 29th 2010 4:43pm by Diakar
____________________________

#11 Mar 29 2010 at 2:47 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,153 posts
Quote:
Ya know, there is a small country in Europe called Great Britain, and inside that country is a country called England where this language called "English" comes from.....


English comes from the UK you say? Living in England I never would've guessed...

Anyway, the point is that if you live in a region you should probably sign up for that regions content. If they wanted to test the game based on location and you signed up for EU when you live in LA then the chances are pretty low that you'd be selected. Sign up for the correct region. We promise not to laugh at you.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#12 Mar 29 2010 at 9:03 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
Then there are those of us who are in Australia, who are technically supposed to be PAL, but import from both the U.S. And the U.K. so it's hit and miss if you get a NTSC or a PAL game.

Also, aren't there downfalls to PAL games? Or is that only on consoles? It was my understanding that PAL is FPS capped lower than NTSC. Japan is also on NTSC. I would prefer to play the game on a NTSC version if that is the version it was originally created on, rather than something ported over which doesn't run quite as well, or is intentionally limited.

Because of these factors, I myself registered on the NA site, but listed my country in the application as Australia. I hope this doesn't disqualify me for the beta. I have also owned both a NA account, and an EU account for FFXI in the past.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 3:04am by Fetter
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#13 Mar 29 2010 at 10:05 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
What went through your mind when you decided "No, I wont ask SE, the people who would really know. I'll ask people in a fansite forum who have no clue and will most likely make up a response or make fun of me."?
#14 Mar 29 2010 at 10:11 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
Most likely accessibility. I would personally turn to an easily useable community forum to get some opinions before tracking down contact details, which could possibly involve long waits for emails, or expensive phone calls. Sometimes people just need to talk things out with their peers before taking actual action.
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#15 Mar 29 2010 at 10:49 PM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
Fetter wrote:

Also, aren't there downfalls to PAL games? Or is that only on consoles?


Consoles, and even then Im not 100% sure any more. I know the last gen (PS2 etc) consoles applied but not sure about PS3/360/Wii do. Infact thinking about it I am sure on the Wii you can actually set the frequency... Anyway.

PAL TVs were designed to operate at 50hz (100fps) and NTSC TVs at 60hz (120fps). PAL TVs have a richer colour display that NTSC but you are correct in saying that the FPS on PAL is lower than NTSC.

But as I say, this day in age this sort of thing is moot. Most LCD/LED/Plasma screens can be set to 50 or 60hz (and higher, on better TVs) and modern consoles the same.
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#16 Mar 29 2010 at 11:02 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
Kordain wrote:
Fetter wrote:

Also, aren't there downfalls to PAL games? Or is that only on consoles?


Consoles, and even then Im not 100% sure any more. I know the last gen (PS2 etc) consoles applied but not sure about PS3/360/Wii do. Infact thinking about it I am sure on the Wii you can actually set the frequency... Anyway.

PAL TVs were designed to operate at 50hz (100fps) and NTSC TVs at 60hz (120fps). PAL TVs have a richer colour display that NTSC but you are correct in saying that the FPS on PAL is lower than NTSC.

But as I say, this day in age this sort of thing is moot. Most LCD/LED/Plasma screens can be set to 50 or 60hz (and higher, on better TVs) and modern consoles the same.


So, assuming that they are both created equally, it may very well be better (assuming you can afford it, as it tends to be a little bit more expensive because of exchange rates) to go with EU (PAL) over NA (NTSC) because from my understanding, the EU accounts fall under EU laws, which favor the end user more than the equivalent US laws when it comes to your "rights" and ownership. Unless things have changed recently.
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#17 Mar 29 2010 at 11:03 PM Rating: Default
****
4,153 posts
Quote:
What went through your mind when you decided "No, I wont ask SE, the people who would really know. I'll ask people in a fansite forum who have no clue and will most likely make up a response or make fun of me."?


Perhaps due the fact that SE offers no tech or customer support for beta as they've already stated?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#18 Mar 30 2010 at 6:08 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,099 posts
Fetter wrote:
Kordain wrote:
Fetter wrote:

Also, aren't there downfalls to PAL games? Or is that only on consoles?


Consoles, and even then Im not 100% sure any more. I know the last gen (PS2 etc) consoles applied but not sure about PS3/360/Wii do. Infact thinking about it I am sure on the Wii you can actually set the frequency... Anyway.

PAL TVs were designed to operate at 50hz (100fps) and NTSC TVs at 60hz (120fps). PAL TVs have a richer colour display that NTSC but you are correct in saying that the FPS on PAL is lower than NTSC.

But as I say, this day in age this sort of thing is moot. Most LCD/LED/Plasma screens can be set to 50 or 60hz (and higher, on better TVs) and modern consoles the same.


So, assuming that they are both created equally, it may very well be better (assuming you can afford it, as it tends to be a little bit more expensive because of exchange rates) to go with EU (PAL) over NA (NTSC) because from my understanding, the EU accounts fall under EU laws, which favor the end user more than the equivalent US laws when it comes to your "rights" and ownership. Unless things have changed recently.


We have very strict data protection laws in Europe yeah, the kind of laws where a major breach could see the head of SE sent to jail (as well as massive fines) although I'm not sure anyones ever been sent to jail.

On a FPS issue, I'd assume you'd be talking about TV's which means the PS3 version, that'll run on HD through HDMI which is a standard now so won't make any difference (except of course your PS3 won't be able to play US version or JP version if you have a PAL PS3). There will be no difference

Standard TV (NTSC vs PAL) is different too, PAL has something like 625 lines compared to NTSC's 480 (or whatever it is) so we get a much clearer picture (PAL isn't all that far from HD-720). I guess you could say, on a good quality TV in the UK, the difference between NTSC and PAL is almost the same as the difference between NTSC and 720i HDTV (in fact, on some SD with upscaling it's very hard to notice that the signal isn't HD on my TV)

Previously on old import consoles (SNES/Genesis(MegaDrive) would run faster on a UK TV because of the different refresh rates, games were hard coded to run at the TV's refresh rate which gave us a 13% (or something) increase in how fast a game ran. Games these days are no longer coded this way.

On a computer though (back to Data Laws) if you did get the EU client you would be registered in the EU which means support in the US would not be able to help you at all, they wouldn't even be allowed to look at your account. If you needed to call support you would have to phone the UK support line so would be restricted to web chat mostly. Oddly, if a person in the EU purchased the NA version, the "safe harbor" laws in the US would give the EU person more rights than an American would using the same client.

Short version: There is no point in choosing the EU client over the US client, there will be no performance gains and if the game is region locked to console, you'd need to buy a new (import) PS3 to play.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 8:10am by Lexxuk
____________________________
A strange obsession, mine. But better to be addicted to smartphones and gismos than cocaine or ***, I suppose. Well, I don’t know, the result is the same after all, very little sleep, great expense and horrific mess everywhere.

-- Stephen Fry
#19 Mar 30 2010 at 12:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
706 posts
Lexxuk wrote:
Fetter wrote:
Kordain wrote:
Fetter wrote:

Also, aren't there downfalls to PAL games? Or is that only on consoles?


Consoles, and even then Im not 100% sure any more. I know the last gen (PS2 etc) consoles applied but not sure about PS3/360/Wii do. Infact thinking about it I am sure on the Wii you can actually set the frequency... Anyway.

PAL TVs were designed to operate at 50hz (100fps) and NTSC TVs at 60hz (120fps). PAL TVs have a richer colour display that NTSC but you are correct in saying that the FPS on PAL is lower than NTSC.

But as I say, this day in age this sort of thing is moot. Most LCD/LED/Plasma screens can be set to 50 or 60hz (and higher, on better TVs) and modern consoles the same.


So, assuming that they are both created equally, it may very well be better (assuming you can afford it, as it tends to be a little bit more expensive because of exchange rates) to go with EU (PAL) over NA (NTSC) because from my understanding, the EU accounts fall under EU laws, which favor the end user more than the equivalent US laws when it comes to your "rights" and ownership. Unless things have changed recently.




On a FPS issue, I'd assume you'd be talking about TV's which means the PS3 version, that'll run on HD through HDMI which is a standard now so won't make any difference (except of course your PS3 won't be able to play US version or JP version if you have a PAL PS3). There will be no difference

Short version: There is no point in choosing the EU client over the US client, there will be no performance gains and if the game is region locked to console, you'd need to buy a new (import) PS3 to play.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 8:10am by Lexxuk


The PS3 is region free. You can play any game from any region. I don't believe there have been any PS3 game that have been purposefully region locked either. So that shouldn't be a concern.



Edited, Mar 30th 2010 2:20pm by ScorpionEx
____________________________
Server = Remora - Rank 10 Windurstian

Menchi
Tarutaru
75 BLM (Main)
37 WHM
37 RDM
25 SMN (Future Main ^^)
ZM Complete - CoP Complete - Windurst - Complete
LS - Dragonflies
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)