Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
This Forum is Read Only

JP site update!Follow

#1 Mar 30 2010 at 3:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
16 posts
http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/

New clans and classic musc theme added :D

..i think i'm seriously in doubt which race to choose now. They are ALL so nice..
/cry


edit: images here: http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1233440_1124.html

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 5:22am by Munba
#2 Mar 30 2010 at 3:23 AM Rating: Default
8 posts
OK i agree give me more choice ;)
Now its dunesfolk lalafell all the way i wasnt sure about lalafell or miqo'te but after seeing these new pics :) !!!!
Gd times
-klick-

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 5:25am by symphoniaIII
____________________________
---------------------------------------------------
Wow
Klick Troll Rogue 80 *Burning Steppes*
Alendra Tauren Shaman 80 *Burning Steppes*
Kenzer Undead Lock 80 *Burning Steppes*
FFXI
Klick - Ragnarak *RETIRED*
75BST/75THF/50WAR/50MNK/75WHT
#3 Mar 30 2010 at 3:32 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
now we need to get elmer to work translating again ^^
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#4 Mar 30 2010 at 3:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
Only 1 highlander per server. I call dibs!
#5 Mar 30 2010 at 3:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
622 posts
Quick translation-in-progress of Famitsu information:

HYURAN
People of the Middle Lands
Midlander

Among the populous Hyuran, the majority is comprised of this great clan. They reside in various regions, and are enriched with a diverse livelihood. From a young age, Midlanders become accustomed to books. Because of this, they seem to have a deep, intellectual society.

People of the High Lands
Highlander


The highlanders dominate the remote, northern highlands. They are the strong, muscular, tribe of the Hyuran. After their city-state of Ala Mihgo fell to the Garlean Empire, with the exception of Male Mercenaries, it has become rare to see them in other cities.

MI'QOTE
People of the Sun
Sun Seekers


One tribe of the Mi'qote call themselves "The people of the Sun". The followers of the Sun God Azema are numerous, and they are very active in the daytime. They have cold, piercing,, colorful, cat-like eyes.

People of the Moon
Moon Keepers


The other tribe of the Mi'qote call themselves "The Wards of the Moon". They are the many followers of the Moon God Menefina, and many follow a nocturnal lifestyle. Many of the Moon Keepers apply vivid war paint onto their face.

LALAFELL
People of the Plains
Plainsfolk


The Plainsfolk gather and built villages from the materials of the plains, and have come to be called "The people of the Plains". Their earthly green, flaxen hair resembles vegetation. With their large ears, they can hear even the faintest footsteps of a mole.

People of the Desert
Dunesfolk


Large, domesticated livestock are made to carry the homes that the dunesfolk migrate and live in. They live with the movement of the soil, and are called the "People of the Dunes" among the Lalafell. One of their unique features is that their eyes are enveloped by a protective clear film, which makes their eyes resemble a Crystal Ball. On their forehead, a jewel which represents their star of fate is affixed.

ELEZEN
Woodland People
Forester


For hundreds of years, this Elezen tribe have inhabited the deep green forests. They are proud of their hawk-like eyesight, and excel in archery. Nowadays, those who have adapted to city life or those who live a nomadic life in the plains often return to the woodlands.

Shadow People
Shader


For hundreds of years, the Shaders have inhabited dark caves. Developing bat-like ears, they can sense the enemy's movement by the rustling of clothes. Because of this, many Shaders excel in hand-to-hand combat. Turning to thievery in order to sustain their cave-dwelling life, they are despised by the forester as turncoats.

ROEGADYN
People of the Northern Seas
Seawolf


Known as "Seawolves", this Roegadyn tribe is feared as marauding pirates from the northern seas. Nowadays, the number of Seawolves who fare the high seas are becoming numerous.

People of the Crimson Flame
Lohengarde


Residing in the vicinity of volcanic craters, the Lohengarde are a tribe of Roegadyn who are faithful in the "Gates of ****". They are called the "Gatekeepers of the Flame" . Not only are their bodies hard and tempered, their "fire-walking" asceticism allows them to nurture the qualities of magickal ingenuity.

EDIT: cleaned up translation of Highlander, forester and seawolf

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 5:42am by Lumokai
____________________________
Fairy
WHM75/BLM75
8/28/06 - Lu Shang's
[ffxisig]198090[/ffxisig]
#6 Mar 30 2010 at 4:17 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
Lumokai wrote:
Quick translation-in-progress of Famitsu information:

People of the Middle Lands
Midlander

Among the populous Hyuran, the majority is comprised of this great clan. They reside in various regions, and are enriched with a diverse livelihood. From a young age, Midlanders become accustomed to books. Because of this, they are seen as a deep, intellectual society.

People of the High Lands
Highlander

The highlanders dominate the remote, northern highlands. They are the strong, muscular, tribe of the Hyuran. After their city-state of Ala Mihgo fell to the Garlean Empire, with the exception of Male Mercenaries, it has become rare to see them.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 3:11am by Lumokai


Let the cry of "why no female highlanders" begin.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#7 Mar 30 2010 at 4:26 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
Anyone seen other news than the expanded character info?
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#8 Mar 30 2010 at 4:47 AM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Interesting. Which lalafell clan to choose... @_@
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#9 Mar 30 2010 at 4:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Heh Night Elves
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#10 Mar 30 2010 at 4:51 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
I'm torn between human Highlander and Midlander now...I think I like the Highlander backstory more, but they'd have to give me some leeway with the body customizing sliders; I like my character to look like me, and I'm not even remotely close to being that jacked. :P

I'm sure it'll just come down to which one has the least annoying hairstyle. (I always hated my FFXI character's spiky anime-style hair. For some reason video games developers never like to provide me with the buzz-cut that I sport IRL. Especially Japanese ones.)
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#11 Mar 30 2010 at 4:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
209 posts
Now I dunno what I want to play either. I'm still holding out for male miqo'te. I LOVE the lalafel designs, especially the top female one, she just looks cool. I'm also loving the middle eastern style lalafel. XD
____________________________
"If it could go wrong, it happened in the Dunes." - Sephrick
#12 Mar 30 2010 at 5:07 AM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
LALAFELL
People of the Plains
Plainsfolk

The Plainsfolk gather and built villages from the materials of the plains, and have come to be called "The people of the Plains". Their earthly, flaxen hair resembles vegetation. With their large ears, they can hear even the faintest footsteps of a mole.

People of the Desert
Dunesfolk

Large, domesticated livestock are made to carry the homes that the dunesfolk migrate and live in. They live with the movement of the soil, and are called the "People of the Dunes" among the Lalafell. One of their unique features is that their eyes are enveloped by a protective clear film, which makes their eyes resemble a Crystal Ball. On their forehead, a jewel which represents their star of fate is affixed.


Thanks for doing a quick translation, Lumo.

This is interesting, I wonder if slight racial and clan-based bonuses will be implemented.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#13 Mar 30 2010 at 5:20 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
Kirbster wrote:
Interesting. Which lalafell clan to choose... @_@


i call desert dwellers
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#14 Mar 30 2010 at 5:28 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
16 posts
#15 Mar 30 2010 at 5:30 AM Rating: Default
***
1,822 posts
Dear everyone.

Remember when people complained about the crappy battle music on the site?

Remember when all the fanboys and "White Knights" raged because of this and hit the red arrows?

I welcome you to truly EPIC MUSIC.

Do not accept second best from a first rate video game producer or they will start giving you second best. Accept only the best and they will deliver. This is what Square Enix and Uematsu are truly capable of.

And yes, I know it's sort of a remix of a older song but almost everything FF wise is, also there's a lot of changes and new tones to it. Really amazing though I love it.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 4:47am by EndlessJourney
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#16 Mar 30 2010 at 5:40 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
You are now aware that Roegadyn has pink hair.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#17 Mar 30 2010 at 5:43 AM Rating: Good
The FF theme mix is very reminiscent of the version used in the end credits of Final Fantasy VIII. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you, but as I whisteled along, I broke into the coda from that version instead.

Nice to have a bit more idea about the character generation options. Torn between the two sorts of Mi'qote. Maybe I'll have one of each!
____________________________

Mieck of Siren // Mieck Corcoczeck of Lindblum

#18 Mar 30 2010 at 5:58 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
The Dunefolk lalafell just... I dunno, something about them captivates me. Maybe it's because I was born and raised in the desert myself and my skin is about the same colors as theirs, maybe it's because I like to be a bit "mysterious" as they appear, I'm not sure. Usually the idea of Tarutaru in FFXI never suited me and I didn't like how "cute" they tried to be with them. But these Lalafell... I think if Square Enix doesn't add Male Miqo'Te I'm going to go with-

...

...

...

Wait a minute...

I'm seeing a All Male race of Hyur, the "Highlanders" but no all female race/tribe to offset it. We have the Miqo'Te and Roegadyn which offset each other but no All Female "Tribe" to offset the highlanders...

You guys know what this could mean right?!

This makes the thought of them adding Male Miqo'Te a LOT more possible. Also it seems that these aren't all the races/tribes we will be seeing. This means there will be more because there's pretty much no way Square Enix is going to give males ONE extra option than females.

Do you guys know how groundbreaking this is? Almost confirms that we will be seeing more races/tribes.

HERE'S HOPING MALE MIQO'TE FANS!!!
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#19 Mar 30 2010 at 6:17 AM Rating: Decent
**
423 posts
Quote:
You are now aware that Roegadyn has pink hair.


You sure? Looks red and white....

Either way the seewolf's look cool.

I totally wanted to be a roegadyn but the other races look so awesome now it's kinda swinging me the other way...

so hard to decide now. I only have like 6 months... jesus i don't know if that's enough!
#20 Mar 30 2010 at 6:45 AM Rating: Good
*
133 posts
Quote:
Only 1 highlander per server. I call dibs!


There can be only one.

If SE purchases the rights to a couple of Queen songs, I am so in.
#21 Mar 30 2010 at 7:12 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
155 posts
I really hope they do honestly add ATLEAST 1 new character race. Atleast 1. Seeing as XIV is supposed to be an entirely new and different game/world from XI, I personally feel it to be a little stupid to only have what is esentially the exact same characters to choose from...
You know?


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:18am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#22 Mar 30 2010 at 7:20 AM Rating: Excellent
*
170 posts
Did anyone else notice that the one Miqo'te has one eye that is green and the other is blue. I think that is so awesome!

Edit: Its the one under "Seekers of the Sun" for an fyi.


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:23am by EklmForever
#23 Mar 30 2010 at 7:26 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
Faaeng wrote:
I really hope they do honestly add ATLEAST 1 new character race. Atleast 1. Seeing as XIV is supposed to be an entirely new and different game/world from XI, I personally feel it to be a little stupid to only have what is esentially the exact same characters to choose from...
You know?


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:18am by Faaeng


Technically they just did, with Highlander. They just broke the mold that FFXI has stuck to. Well, they also broke it with the colorations/tribe system. As I'm saying, I think there is much hope as of now for more tribes, races, etc. We know we're getting at least one more tribe for females, so chances are that tribe and more races/tribes/options will be announced at a later date. Once again, I think Square Enix did this specifically to tease us and make us think and speculate.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 6:30am by EndlessJourney
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#24 Mar 30 2010 at 7:28 AM Rating: Decent
*
85 posts
wow 5 race and 10 tribes!?!?

according to the description of each tribes,
Highlander and Lohengarde are the most attractive tribes to me.
These 2 tribes seems expert at battle with weapons and capable
of being RDM type since Lohengarde has qualities of magickal
ingenuity. I'm very looking forward to play with these 2 tribes.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:30am by hexid
#25 Mar 30 2010 at 7:32 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
155 posts
EndlessJourney wrote:
Faaeng wrote:
I really hope they do honestly add ATLEAST 1 new character race. Atleast 1. Seeing as XIV is supposed to be an entirely new and different game/world from XI, I personally feel it to be a little stupid to only have what is esentially the exact same characters to choose from...
You know?


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:18am by Faaeng


Technically they just did, with Highlander. They just broke the mold that FFXI has stuck to. Well, they also broke it with the colorations/tribe system, differing tribes as well. As I'm saying, I think there is much hope as of now for more tribes, races, etc. right now.


To me, it's still Elezen/Elven. Lalafell/Tarus, Hyur/Humes, Roegaydn/Ghalka and Miqo'te/Mithra.
Just a *lightside/darkside (or possibly Star/Spirit?) for lack of a better term* versions of them.


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:33am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#26 Mar 30 2010 at 7:33 AM Rating: Default
***
1,822 posts
Faaeng wrote:
EndlessJourney wrote:
Faaeng wrote:
I really hope they do honestly add ATLEAST 1 new character race. Atleast 1. Seeing as XIV is supposed to be an entirely new and different game/world from XI, I personally feel it to be a little stupid to only have what is esentially the exact same characters to choose from...
You know?


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:18am by Faaeng


Technically they just did, with Highlander. They just broke the mold that FFXI has stuck to. Well, they also broke it with the colorations/tribe system, differing tribes as well. As I'm saying, I think there is much hope as of now for more tribes, races, etc. right now.


To me, it's still Elezen/Elven. /Lalafell/Tarus, Hyur/Humes, Roegaydn/Ghalka and Miqo'te/Mithra.
Just a *lightside/darkside for lack of a better term* versions of them.


I said "Technically", also pay attention, there's a tribe of "All males" offsetting the equal amount of male/female options and playable races.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#27 Mar 30 2010 at 7:37 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
155 posts
EndlessJourney wrote:
Faaeng wrote:
EndlessJourney wrote:
Faaeng wrote:
I really hope they do honestly add ATLEAST 1 new character race. Atleast 1. Seeing as XIV is supposed to be an entirely new and different game/world from XI, I personally feel it to be a little stupid to only have what is esentially the exact same characters to choose from...
You know?


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:18am by Faaeng


Technically they just did, with Highlander. They just broke the mold that FFXI has stuck to. Well, they also broke it with the colorations/tribe system, differing tribes as well. As I'm saying, I think there is much hope as of now for more tribes, races, etc. right now.


To me, it's still Elezen/Elven. /Lalafell/Tarus, Hyur/Humes, Roegaydn/Ghalka and Miqo'te/Mithra.
Just a *lightside/darkside for lack of a better term* versions of them.


I said "Technically", also pay attention, there's a tribe of "All males" offsetting the equal amount of male/female options and playable races.

OK, and I said "essentially"
What does that have to do with me saying that they are giving us essentially the same exact races? They still are. They took away a possible female character. OK, What's your point? It doesn't guarantee any new Races. Just that there are no female Highlanders.
Please, there was no need to be rude in telling me to pay attention.


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:41am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#28 Mar 30 2010 at 7:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
12,708 posts
I don't think people will be happy till there's 20 silly races down to slug people which are just variations of previous races running around. >.>

Honestly there's already 100% more customization than FFXI ever will have, how can anyone still be disappointed?

I'm still definitely making an Elezen, the choice is which tribe though..
____________________________

#29 Mar 30 2010 at 7:42 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
Faaeng wrote:
EndlessJourney wrote:
Faaeng wrote:
EndlessJourney wrote:
Faaeng wrote:
I really hope they do honestly add ATLEAST 1 new character race. Atleast 1. Seeing as XIV is supposed to be an entirely new and different game/world from XI, I personally feel it to be a little stupid to only have what is esentially the exact same characters to choose from...
You know?


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:18am by Faaeng


Technically they just did, with Highlander. They just broke the mold that FFXI has stuck to. Well, they also broke it with the colorations/tribe system, differing tribes as well. As I'm saying, I think there is much hope as of now for more tribes, races, etc. right now.


To me, it's still Elezen/Elven. /Lalafell/Tarus, Hyur/Humes, Roegaydn/Ghalka and Miqo'te/Mithra.
Just a *lightside/darkside for lack of a better term* versions of them.


I said "Technically", also pay attention, there's a tribe of "All males" offsetting the equal amount of male/female options and playable races.

OK, and I said "essentially"
What does that have to do with me saying that they are giving us essentially the same exact races? They still are. They took away a possible female character. OK, What's your point?
Please, there was no need to be rude in telling me to pay attention.



Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:39am by Faaeng



#1 What does it have to do with you saying they're giving us the exact same races? I don't remember having different tribes, as well as a all male hume, as well as more options for males, in FFXI.

#2 The point is they aren't going to take away a possible female character more than likely. If they did, there would be a lot of arguing about it, Square Enix would be viewed as sexiest and skewed, get a ton of bad reviews, all because they gave males MORE options than females. Basically, they're not going to do that, meaning we're going to at least see one more tribe of all females, meaning we will more than likely see even more tribes/races/etc since it would be kind of illogical at this point to only withhold one when people more or less know it will be coming.

#3 I wasn't trying to be rude at all, just saying "pay attention" in a more "matter of fact" kind of way.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 6:46am by EndlessJourney
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#30 Mar 30 2010 at 7:56 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
155 posts
EndlessJourney wrote:
Faaeng wrote:
EndlessJourney wrote:
Faaeng wrote:
EndlessJourney wrote:
Faaeng wrote:
I really hope they do honestly add ATLEAST 1 new character race. Atleast 1. Seeing as XIV is supposed to be an entirely new and different game/world from XI, I personally feel it to be a little stupid to only have what is esentially the exact same characters to choose from...
You know?


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:18am by Faaeng


Technically they just did, with Highlander. They just broke the mold that FFXI has stuck to. Well, they also broke it with the colorations/tribe system, differing tribes as well. As I'm saying, I think there is much hope as of now for more tribes, races, etc. right now.


To me, it's still Elezen/Elven. /Lalafell/Tarus, Hyur/Humes, Roegaydn/Ghalka and Miqo'te/Mithra.
Just a *lightside/darkside for lack of a better term* versions of them.


I said "Technically", also pay attention, there's a tribe of "All males" offsetting the equal amount of male/female options and playable races.

OK, and I said "essentially"
What does that have to do with me saying that they are giving us essentially the same exact races? They still are. They took away a possible female character. OK, What's your point?
Please, there was no need to be rude in telling me to pay attention.



Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:39am by Faaeng



#1 What does it have to do with you saying they're giving us the exact same races? I don't remember having different tribes, as well as a all male hume, as well as more options for males, in FFXI.

#2 The point is they aren't going to take away a possible female character more than likely. If they did, there would be a lot of arguing about it, Square Enix would be viewed as sexiest and skewed, get a ton of bad reviews, all because they gave males MORE options than females.

#3 I wasn't trying to be rude at all, just saying "pay attention" in a more "matter of fact" kind of way.


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 6:43am by EndlessJourney

1, They are still essentially the same races tho. You've just more customizations available to those Races.
Also it doesn't say that there are no female Highlanders. Just that aside from the Male mercenaries that they are rare to see in other cities. They most likely will not be selectable, but they will probably appear at some point in the game in the Northern Highlands. Just not near other cities and if so, rarely. Maybe a quest?
2, It still guarantees nothing. Your mearly making assumptions.

I doubt they would be considered sexist or skewed seeing as there are still selectable female characters available in every Race aside from Roegaydn Just like there is no male Miqo'te. Is Naughty Dog considered Sexist or Skewed since both rachet and Clank are male roles? Bungee because Master Chief is a guy? Nintendo because Metroid is a girl?
3, sorry, I took it more as you being rude and telling me to pay attention. If it wasn't meant that way, Sorry. I apologize.

I'm not saying they wont add another race to balance it out, but I'm not saying they will either. We don't know. Anything mentioned about it not from S/E is purely speculation.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:07am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#31 Mar 30 2010 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,708 posts
Faaeng wrote:


I doubt they would be considered sexist or skewed seeing as there are still selectable female characters available in every Race aside from Roegaydn Just like there is no male Miqo'te. Is Naughty Dog considered Sexist or Skewed since both rachet and Clank are male roles? Bungee because Master Chief is a guy? Nintendo because Metroid is a girl?
3, sorry, I took it more as you being rude and telling me to pay attention. If it wasn't meant that way, Sorry. I apologize.

I'm not saying they wont add another race to balance it out, but I'm not saying they will either. We don't know. Anything mentioned about it not from S/E is purely speculation.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:02am by Faaeng


Samus Aran is indeed a girl, while I don't think Metroids are typically female...

Though I don't understand the sexist comment myself but it's not sexist in the general definition of it. Also it's the same races with more customization which is just fine, have you played a lot of MMOs? SE really doesn't need to get silly with the races...the "basic spectrum" of races suits an MMORPG just fine because soon enough we'll get goat, sheep, dog, bee, slug, slime, octopus, dark goat, dark sheep, dark dog, dark bee, dark slug, dark slime, dark octopus etc lol.

If they SHOULD happen to add a new race down the line hopefully it's a gria.

It says nothing because when SE introduced the male mithra in WoTG Windurst storylines people said it's 100% clear they're adding male mithras "next update".

While we're on this "male/female only tribe", how would it make any sense for an all female hyur equivillent? They don't strike me as an amazonian race in all sense of the term.



Edited, Mar 30th 2010 7:06am by Theonehio
____________________________

#32 Mar 30 2010 at 8:07 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
155 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Faaeng wrote:


I doubt they would be considered sexist or skewed seeing as there are still selectable female characters available in every Race aside from Roegaydn Just like there is no male Miqo'te. Is Naughty Dog considered Sexist or Skewed since both rachet and Clank are male roles? Bungee because Master Chief is a guy? Nintendo because Metroid is a girl?
3, sorry, I took it more as you being rude and telling me to pay attention. If it wasn't meant that way, Sorry. I apologize.

I'm not saying they wont add another race to balance it out, but I'm not saying they will either. We don't know. Anything mentioned about it not from S/E is purely speculation.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:02am by Faaeng


Samus Aran is indeed a girl, while I don't think Metroids are typically female...

Though I don't understand the sexist comment myself but it's not sexist in the general definition of it. Also it's the same races with more customization which is just fine, have you played a lot of MMOs? SE really doesn't need to get silly with the races...the "basic spectrum" of races suits an MMORPG just fine because soon enough we'll get goat, sheep, dog, bee, slug, slime, octopus, dark goat, dark sheep, dark dog, dark bee, dark slug, dark slime, dark octopus etc lol.

If they SHOULD happen to add a new race down the line hopefully it's a gria.

It says nothing because when SE introduced the male mithra in WoTG Windurst storylines people said it's 100% clear they're adding male mithras "next update".

While we're on this "male/female only tribe", how would it make any sense for an all female hyur equivillent? They don't strike me as an amazonian race in all sense of the term.



Edited, Mar 30th 2010 7:06am by Theonehio


LMAO

ok ok you got me on that one. =P
Yeah, I've played a fair share of MMOs. I understand that you don't want to go crazy with the Races available, but doesn't take away the fact that I was still hoping for atleast 1 new one.

Like I said before, the game is supposed to be a different game/world from XI, but with the same 5 races, walking into towns and such it's still gonna look like XI with the same 5 races occupying all areas.

I don't know, maybe it would've been better off if they actually had 5 completely new races all together. Then I wouldn't care cause they would all be new? Know what I mean?

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:14am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#33 Mar 30 2010 at 8:08 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
Faaeng wrote:

1, They are still essentially the same races tho. You've just more customizations available to those Races.
2, It still guarantees nothing. Your mearly making assumptions.

I doubt they would be considered sexist or skewed seeing as there are still selectable female characters available in every Race aside from Roegaydn Just like there is no male Miqo'te. Is Naughty Dog considered Sexist or Skewed since both rachet and Clank are male roles? Bungee because Master Chief is a guy? Nintendo because Metroid is a girl?
3, sorry, I took it more as you being rude and telling me to pay attention. If it wasn't meant that way, Sorry. I apologize.

I'm not saying they wont add another race to balance it out, but I'm not saying they will either. We don't know. Anything mentioned about it not from S/E is purely speculation.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:02am by Faaeng


You don't seem to understand how this works in a MMORPG. It doesn't follow the rules of other games. In a singular story males and females can outbalance each other because it's a individual story and there are cases when males outnumber females and females outnumber males. In a MMORPG it's an actual online community and people want a sense of equality and balance.

As bad as I want male miqo'te as of now it's not unbalanced or sexist of Square Enix not to add them because we have Roegadyn. We have one All Male race and one all female race. It's balanced even though many of us don't like it. Males and Females get the same opportunity as well as options. With Highlander, it sort of throws a wrench in everything and gives males one more "Group" of people to choose from than females.

As you can see, it's not the same thing as a individual story when it's a community and people want an equal amount of options. I highly highly highly highly highly doubt Square Enix would make such a risky and taboo move, as I say it would get a LOT of bad press and negative feedback, which I really don't think they want. They're doing it 99% more than likely to tease us and show us "Hey, we aren't done yet, and as you can see there's more that's going to be added for playable characters".

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 7:10am by EndlessJourney
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#34 Mar 30 2010 at 8:16 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:

While we're on this "male/female only tribe", how would it make any sense for an all female hyur equivillent? They don't strike me as an amazonian race in all sense of the term.


It actually makes plenty of sense. They made the man-only tribe of hyur's into mountain men, nothing says they couldn't make a "amazonian" like tribe of all female hyur's. Also, nothing says Square Enix doesn't have this same idea. However I'll agree that it seems less likely, but nothing is to say the tribe of all females has to be Hyur either. That's why I'm implying we'll see more races, because as of right now there's no room for a "All Female" tribe unless they add a female highlander. So it suggests there will be more balances and calculations to come forth in coming times.

Not only that, but it seems you really dislike the idea of new races. I understand what you mean about some times there being too many new races, although I think maybe one or two more would be a nice balance, I'm not saying there will be new races, just that it's more highly possible because of this. The only thing I'm saying is almost 100% is that there are more tribes we will be seeing, which "kind of" opens up a little more hope for male miqo'te.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#35 Mar 30 2010 at 8:25 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
155 posts
EndlessJourney wrote:
Faaeng wrote:

1, They are still essentially the same races tho. You've just more customizations available to those Races.
2, It still guarantees nothing. Your mearly making assumptions.

I doubt they would be considered sexist or skewed seeing as there are still selectable female characters available in every Race aside from Roegaydn Just like there is no male Miqo'te. Is Naughty Dog considered Sexist or Skewed since both rachet and Clank are male roles? Bungee because Master Chief is a guy? Nintendo because Metroid is a girl?
3, sorry, I took it more as you being rude and telling me to pay attention. If it wasn't meant that way, Sorry. I apologize.

I'm not saying they wont add another race to balance it out, but I'm not saying they will either. We don't know. Anything mentioned about it not from S/E is purely speculation.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:02am by Faaeng


You don't seem to understand how this works in a MMORPG. It doesn't follow the rules of other games. In a singular story males and females can outbalance each other because it's a individual story and there are cases when males outnumber females and females outnumber males. In a MMORPG it's an actual online community and people want a sense of equality and balance.

As bad as I want male miqo'te as of now it's not unbalanced or sexist of Square Enix not to add them because we have Roegadyn. We have one All Male race and one all female race. It's balanced even though many of us don't like it. Males and Females get the same opportunity as well as options. With Highlander, it sort of throws a wrench in everything and gives males one more "Group" of people to choose from than females.

As you can see, it's not the same thing as a individual story when it's a community and people want an equal amount of options. I highly highly highly highly highly doubt Square Enix would make such a risky and taboo move, as I say it would get a LOT of bad press and negative feedback, which I really don't think they want. They're doing it 99% more than likely to tease us and show us "Hey, we aren't done yet, and as you can see there's more that's going to be added for playable characters".

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 7:10am by EndlessJourney
I hope your right and they are deciding to suprise us.

I still don't see it as sexist or unbalanced the way it is.
From my experience from MMOs, I will say that most of the time those female avatars, are males. Not all of them, but most of them are. lmao
I know quite a few women who play MMOs and they use Male avatars so that they are not constantly being harassed by a bunch of guys on the internet. Some don't care, some like the attention and some don't. I also know a bunch of guys who play female avatars because guys online give them special treatment thinking they are girls. Some even do it because they think they look cute or they like running around half nekid as a chick moreso then a guy. lol It's not unbalanced because men can choose female avatars just as females can choose male avatars. We all have the same exact characters to choose from. I honestly don't see them getting any sort of bad press if they were to leave it how they have it now.

EklmForever wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the one Miqo'te has one eye that is green and the other is blue. I think that is so awesome!

Edit: Its the one under "Seekers of the Sun" for an fyi.


Edited, Mar 30th 2010 9:23am by EklmForever

Yeah, that caught my eye aswell. =))

Mistress Theonehio wrote:
While we're on this "male/female only tribe", how would it make any sense for an all female hyur equivillent? They don't strike me as an amazonian race in all sense of the term.


Going back to this (sorry, overlooked it),
Whose to say they have to be equivalent if they were to do another race with an all female tribe version? It could be the complete opposite as long as their was an all female tribe apart of the race.

If you think about it, Ghalka and Mithra are virtually polar opposites of one another.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:38am by Faaeng

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:40am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#36 Mar 30 2010 at 8:39 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
Faaeng wrote:
I hope your right and they are deciding to suprise us.

I still don't see it as sexist or unbalanced the way it is.
From my experience from MMOs, I will say that most of the time those female avatars, are males. Not all of them, but most of them are. lmao
I know quite a few women who play MMOs and they use Male avatars so that they are not constantly being harassed by a bunch of guys on the internet. Some don't care, some like the attention and some don't. I also know a bunch of guys who play female avatars because guys online give them special treatment thinking they are girls. Some even do it because they think they look cute or they like running around half nekid as a chick moreso then a guy. lol It's not unbalanced because men can choose female avatars just as females can choose male avatars. We all have the same exact characters to choose from. I honestly don't see them getting any sort of bad press if they were to leave it how they have it now.


It's not the point. You're right, there are most likely more guys playing MMORPG's than girls, that doesn't mean you can't be fair to them. Especially in this kind of industry, you have to follow equality and fairness because as I said, it's a "community". When you give males more options it "can" give females the ability to say "Why do they have more options than the girls?". As I said, with a individual story it's about a group of people or a person. With a community it's about the people within that make it up. It's why Square Enix would get bad publicity.

I can't believe this is even being argued, honestly give Square Enix a bit more credit and think about this thoroughly and look at their paterns/paterns within the industry.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 7:42am by EndlessJourney
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#37 Mar 30 2010 at 8:41 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
155 posts
I didn't say there were more guys playing then girls, Even tho there are. I said there are more guys playing female characters then girls are.

You mean their pattern of doing a complete 180 of everything that their fans want and expect?
That is what they seam to like doing... Especially as of late.
=P

Like I said, I hope your right,but that doesn't mean you are tho.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:52am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#38 Mar 30 2010 at 8:46 AM Rating: Good
**
566 posts
Faaeng wrote:
You don't seem to understand how this works in a MMORPG. It doesn't follow the rules of other games. In a singular story males and females can outbalance each other because it's a individual story and there are cases when males outnumber females and females outnumber males. In a MMORPG it's an actual online community and people want a sense of equality and balance.

As bad as I want male miqo'te as of now it's not unbalanced or sexist of Square Enix not to add them because we have Roegadyn. We have one All Male race and one all female race. It's balanced even though many of us don't like it. Males and Females get the same opportunity as well as options. With Highlander, it sort of throws a wrench in everything and gives males one more "Group" of people to choose from than females.

As you can see, it's not the same thing as a individual story when it's a community and people want an equal amount of options. I highly highly highly highly highly doubt Square Enix would make such a risky and taboo move, as I say it would get a LOT of bad press and negative feedback, which I really don't think they want. They're doing it 99% more than likely to tease us and show us "Hey, we aren't done yet, and as you can see there's more that's going to be added for playable characters".



Civil rights movement for an MMO? I think you're seriously giving this way too much thought. And you're likely overestimating how much people will give a sh*t about not having equal gender options.


Edit, since double posting takes up unnecessary space: Leave them hume wimminz in the kitchen, where they belong. Adventuring is a man's job.

Edit2: spelling, and whatnot.

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:48am by DsComputer



Edited, Mar 30th 2010 10:49am by DsComputer
#39 Mar 30 2010 at 8:48 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
155 posts
DsComputer wrote:
Faaeng wrote:
You don't seem to understand how this works in a MMORPG. It doesn't follow the rules of other games. In a singular story males and females can outbalance each other because it's a individual story and there are cases when males outnumber females and females outnumber males. In a MMORPG it's an actual online community and people want a sense of equality and balance.

As bad as I want male miqo'te as of now it's not unbalanced or sexist of Square Enix not to add them because we have Roegadyn. We have one All Male race and one all female race. It's balanced even though many of us don't like it. Males and Females get the same opportunity as well as options. With Highlander, it sort of throws a wrench in everything and gives males one more "Group" of people to choose from than females.

As you can see, it's not the same thing as a individual story when it's a community and people want an equal amount of options. I highly highly highly highly highly doubt Square Enix would make such a risky and taboo move, as I say it would get a LOT of bad press and negative feedback, which I really don't think they want. They're doing it 99% more than likely to tease us and show us "Hey, we aren't done yet, and as you can see there's more that's going to be added for playable characters".



Civil rights movement for an MMO? I think you're seriously giving this way too much thought. And you're likely overestimating how much people will give a sh*t about not having equal gender options.


hey Hey HEY NOW!!!
Don't put words in my mouth.
=P
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#40 Mar 30 2010 at 8:49 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,327 posts
RedGalka wrote:
Heh Night Elves
Heh Drow

OH NOES
____________________________
drk = 80 sam = 76
pld = 79 thf= 80
nin = 80 drg = 75
mnk = 76 war = 52

Retired for now ^ ***** you Abyssea. FFXIV woo eh..
milich wrote:
buttfucking
#41 Mar 30 2010 at 8:52 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
Heh Drow

OH NOES


That's how I've always imagined drowes to be like. I'm so glad SE included them, because I don't think any western art director could make them look exactly how I figured they'd look. Very good news, indeed.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#42 Mar 30 2010 at 8:58 AM Rating: Default
***
1,822 posts
DsComputer wrote:

Civil rights movement for an MMO? I think you're seriously giving this way too much thought. And you're likely overestimating how much people will give a sh*t about not having equal gender options.


No offense but I think you need to look at some older posts on these forums from way back when, posts about topics concerning adding JUST Male Miqo'Te and why it would be such a huge upset to many and how they would have to add female Roegadyn or a Female Race to offset Roegadyn...


Quote:
Edit, since double posting takes up unnecessary space: Leave them hume wimminz in the kitchen, where they belong. Adventuring is a man's job.


I rest my case.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#43 Mar 30 2010 at 8:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
44 posts
I was kinda bumped they took away my big guys tale but I think this more then makes up for it!
#44 Mar 30 2010 at 8:59 AM Rating: Good
*
219 posts
Is it me or does the male Forest Elezen have a tint of red in his skin?
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#45 Mar 30 2010 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
***
1,142 posts
Wow.

I love the music and some of the new character models look awesome.
____________________________
-Zenoxio (FFXI)
-Zeno Silverberg (FFXIV)
The Dunes, circa 2003
@redditFFXIV
#46 Mar 30 2010 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
33 posts
Why am I feeling like Elezen still somewhat look like dhalmel-necks? But those dune Lalafell have to be the cutest **** things...

Seriously, one of the first things I'm looking forward to in FFXIV is the degree of character customization that's involved. I bet I'm going to be spending a large while just looking through and finding that right combination before I actually get to touch the game play!
#47 Mar 30 2010 at 10:01 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
811 posts
OMG!
Falafel Dunesfolk ftw!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I can't take the waiting anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just want this game to come out so I can quit my job and live in Eorzea!
Eorzea > life
Dunesfolk are so cutie!
Seriously, is that Miqo'te wearing Uggs? =/

Edited, Mar 30th 2010 12:04pm by ShonaSeraph
#48 Mar 30 2010 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
107 posts
Anyone else think the black male hyur midlander is hot? Cause I just wanna rip off all his clothes and... Well... Nevermind ^^

But on a more serious note, SE seems to have an apprehension towards muscular females and I find it quite surprising since they designed one already:


http://creativeuncut.com/gallery-12/rs-sif.html
http://creativeuncut.com/gallery-12/rs-sif-stylized.html

Not to mention that she was kinda cute especially with her voice, so there isn't any reason why a muscular female can't still be cute/****/sultry.
____________________________
We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland
#49 Mar 30 2010 at 10:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
44 posts
Quote:
But on a more serious note, SE seems to have an apprehension towards muscular females and I find it quite surprising since they designed one already


I dont think they are apprehensive about it more so just that it wouldnt sell as good. Truth of the matter is. More guys play MMOS then girls by I am sure a large percent. Being the case non muscular female avatars are far more attractive to look at for most people. So it helps sell the game a bit. Same reason why female avatars and most other mmos are well... They way they are.
#50 Mar 30 2010 at 10:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,102 posts
I like how the seeker of the sun miko'te has 2 different eye colors.
____________________________
------------------
#51 Mar 30 2010 at 10:55 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
Add this to the list of threads that make you cry Q.Q...

IF they are making a game with a character tribe based upon ancient nomadic society, then there is nothing to be done.

Lions generally have males that defend and females that hunt. Are lions sexists? Are miquo'te sexists because they use that generalization?

They haven't even formerly announced whether they will exclude a female option for it yet. It's based off of a nomadic peoples. Added to that that the stat difference between different tribes is probably nil. The only reason they made tribes is probably to lower how much of a difference there is between mage races and warrior races as far as HP and MP, as well as INT and WIS go.

That way you can play your favorite race regardless of what job you want to do, and you won't be hindered by some insanely low amount of HP or MP or something like you were with galka mages. Now you won't need a 250k lvl 10 ring to offset these differences.
« Previous 1 2 3
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)