Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Clans Different Stats!?Follow

#1 Apr 06 2010 at 10:10 AM Rating: Decent
5 posts
I was Thinking since all 5 races are equal now maybe picking a clan affect how your character grown. I kinda want something like that so each race/clan have something unique about them. One reason I picked a Tarutaru in FFXI was because they were good with magic.

What ya guys think? Are this Clans gonna affect or have special benefits for the Job you choose?


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Jorvis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Race: Tarutaru
Job: RDM 75 BRD 75
#2 Apr 06 2010 at 10:12 AM Rating: Good
This is what I'm thinking. Since there are two clans per race, it makes sense to have one melee focused, one magic focused. That way you can still be the race you want to be with the job you want to be. Smiley: smile

Edited, Apr 6th 2010 12:14pm by flukedrk
____________________________
Hyanmen wrote:
It's a frocobo, duh.


Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU): comatose1
#3 Apr 06 2010 at 10:15 AM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
jorviz wrote:
I was Thinking since all 5 races are equal now maybe picking a clan affect how your character grown. I kinda want something like that so each race/clan have something unique about them. One reason I picked a Tarutaru in FFXI was because they were good with magic.

What ya guys think? Are this Clans gonna affect or have special benefits for the Job you choose?

If you believe what is written in the official site then both races and clans may have specific abilities and/or bonuses, personally I think it will be more complex than that.



Edited, Apr 6th 2010 12:15pm by NumptyHunter
#4 Apr 06 2010 at 10:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
44 posts
I figure they will be about the same as was in FFXI each race did better at one thing then another but not so much that you couldnt play any job. Tarutarus were great at magic but they could still be a tank if the wanted. Same with Galkas there mp was a little weak but there was nothing stopping me from having a 75 SMN/WHM.
#6 Apr 06 2010 at 11:52 AM Rating: Good
*
75 posts
I'm reminded of an interview a long while ago now:

Quote:
The interviewer brings up having differences between the races and Tanaka tries to say this will not have a large effect on the skills or classes available to you. The difference will be there just to add a little color to each race.

Having equal races makes something like PvP easier too which is the next question the interviewer had. The base of FFXIV will be PvE. If they add PvP, it will probably be the sports competition-like style we see in FFXI. However, they are busy working on other things, so PvP will probably not be in the game at the start.


Where it is sort of suggested that there will not be much difference between the race. Obviously it is directly noted here that it won't have an affect on class or skills, but the fact that they point out the differences are only there to add a little "color" to each race (flavor, in otherwords, variety, etc)... makes me think that stat differences seem unlikely.


More quotes from interviews:

Quote:
The interviewer asks if being a member of a different clan affects the story in some way. He says right now it’s just part of the setting but perhaps there will be something relating to being one or other in the future.


Another indication that clan was designed to be aesthetic really...

Quote:
Tanaka: Regarding other races, we can't really make any comments at the moment, so please look forward to future announcements. About the balance of each race - it's different from FFXI. This time it's not going to be so much different from the beginning, as in unique racial skills per race, it really depends on which skills you select by yourself and how you're going to grow your character - then that is really going to affect your lifestyle. The abilities and stuff aren't really going to be affected by the race you select. You can just select by the appearance.


Abilities "and stuff" haha, oh Tanaka...




Anyway, all of these quotes can be found along the way in interviews. Has something changed at all from these interviews, is what I'm wondering? I'm trying to figure out what I've missed.

____________________________


FFXIV: Here's to the future ...
#7 Apr 06 2010 at 2:10 PM Rating: Good
7 posts
Thanks for the quotes from past interviews, happybyday. Lots of good stuff there. Hmm, I need to go back and read everything I can get my hands on.

Edited, Apr 6th 2010 4:13pm by Endreck
#8 Apr 06 2010 at 2:13 PM Rating: Default
**
555 posts
^^

Including other Threads on this Forum already discussing this >.>
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#9 Apr 06 2010 at 3:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
279 posts
As I've stated in other threads, I'm fine with small differences but not the huge ones of FFXI. Picking a race/clan should be more about aqthetics than stats. And you might say it would be fair with 2 clans of the same race focussing on different things. Well not really. I want to be Hyur but I don't want to be a muscle-bound brute. Someone might like to a Mi'quote but one with actual color, not all gray. Etc.
____________________________
WoW - Quel'dorei <ON HOLD>

Main: Tancoo (80 Tauren Enhance Shaman)
Other: Saraah (63 BE Paladin)
Raymund (47 Troll Hunter)

FFXI - Carbuncle <RETIRED>
Raymund - 45 DRG, 42 PLD, 26 BLU, 30 RNG, 1 NIN <- I miss you Buster!
#10 Apr 06 2010 at 3:51 PM Rating: Default
44 posts
I guess i'm the odd man out then. I want stat differences to play a large part it adds to the strategy and thinking when your making your character so not everyone ends up with the same darn characters and also if your a big huge fat muscle guy. You should HAVE big fat huge muscles meaning more strength. It just wouldn't make sense for a lala whose body is about as big as a galkas foot to have as much muscle in their body.
#11 Apr 06 2010 at 4:37 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
121 posts
I don't think those quotes prove anything one way or another about clan bonuses. They clearly state that choice of race will not affect: stats, abilities, and are aesthetic. They also clearly state that clan will not affect the story.

But that's just the way I read it. It would make sense to me that a melee inclined clan (ie. the forest elezen) should get a minor bonus of some kind, but nothing game breaking. I mean, you need to add some kind of flavour beyond the aesthetic. I want my clan choice to be more meaningful than that, as grateful as I am for the choice.
#12 Apr 06 2010 at 5:40 PM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
Kingdestiny wrote:
I guess i'm the odd man out then. I want stat differences to play a large part it adds to the strategy and thinking when your making your character so not everyone ends up with the same darn characters and also if your a big huge fat muscle guy. You should HAVE big fat huge muscles meaning more strength. It just wouldn't make sense for a lala whose body is about as big as a galkas foot to have as much muscle in their body.


I have mentioned this a couple of times before, but it is perfectly possible for stats such as STR to not exist in ffxiv, damage calculations can be based on various skill levels and weapon type just as easily.
The STR stat should not really be used in battle damage calculations unless it is also used to determine how much loot your character can carry, or how heavy your armour can be etc, otherwise it is just an abstraction based on the wrong assumption that the more muscle power you have the harder you can swing a weapon and therefore will do more damage.
In actual fact there will be an optimal ammount of strength required to weild any given weapon after which more strength will lead to lower accuracy, lower attack rate, greater fatigue and a far greater chance of getting hit by an opponent, so its best to just forget it as it becomes unweildy.
Unless you want a game where Roegadyn can carry x6 or so as much loot/gear as a Lalafell its best to forget the STR stat all together, too problematic.
#13 Apr 06 2010 at 5:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
64 posts
Id honestly rather see no difference between the races and clans besides what aesthetic choices you have. You should NEVER have to pick a certain race to be good at something. Its annoying and pigeonholes you from the "min-max" groups because you don't care and just wanna enjoy playing the game.

I see the races as a RP element choice. Something I hope my server has an abundance of.
____________________________
Quote:
To paraphrase a friend of mine, I want to be able to tie two Lalafell Pugilists together and use them as monkchuks.
#14 Apr 06 2010 at 5:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
279 posts
Kingdestiny wrote:
I guess i'm the odd man out then. I want stat differences to play a large part it adds to the strategy and thinking when your making your character so not everyone ends up with the same darn characters and also if your a big huge fat muscle guy. You should HAVE big fat huge muscles meaning more strength. It just wouldn't make sense for a lala whose body is about as big as a galkas foot to have as much muscle in their body.


That would lead to MORE people being alike. Plan to be mostly magic? Have to be race X. Plan to mostly melee? Race Y. Don't know? Better go race Z. Choose race X or Y and you're screwed if you want to try something new!
____________________________
WoW - Quel'dorei <ON HOLD>

Main: Tancoo (80 Tauren Enhance Shaman)
Other: Saraah (63 BE Paladin)
Raymund (47 Troll Hunter)

FFXI - Carbuncle <RETIRED>
Raymund - 45 DRG, 42 PLD, 26 BLU, 30 RNG, 1 NIN <- I miss you Buster!
#15 Apr 06 2010 at 6:25 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
28 posts
Quote:
Quote:
The interviewer asks if being a member of a different clan affects the story in some way. He says right now it’s just part of the setting but perhaps there will be something relating to being one or other in the future.


Another indication that clan was designed to be aesthetic really...


At this moment its just aesthetics, but clans might have differences in the future. And these are not my words. Its just to early to assume these differences wont have effects, specially when the interview states that it might be possible to have some differences in the future.
____________________________
Xochitl - 75 COR Mithra (Retired).
Zurdok - 60 DRG Elvan (Retired).
Server: Ragnarok.
#16 Apr 06 2010 at 8:37 PM Rating: Decent
44 posts
From what I've seen the thing is casual players want to just not care about race and be just as good as everyone else who takes the time to test each races strengths and weaknesses which isnt really fair to those who do take all the time. Also I would say that not having it there will unbalance the classes far more then having ones directed at like very specific things like one good at fire magic other good at ice...not just at magic in general itll spread the races up more rather then everyone looking at lala and going aww their so cute lets have 60% of people be them and the other 40% by miquote characters because we like cat girls/(guys if your one of those who support the male ones).
#17 Apr 06 2010 at 9:05 PM Rating: Excellent
*
163 posts
Kingdestiny wrote:
From what I've seen the thing is casual players want to just not care about race and be just as good as everyone else who takes the time to test each races strengths and weaknesses which isnt really fair to those who do take all the time. Also I would say that not having it there will unbalance the classes far more then having ones directed at like very specific things like one good at fire magic other good at ice...not just at magic in general itll spread the races up more rather then everyone looking at lala and going aww their so cute lets have 60% of people be them and the other 40% by miquote characters because we like cat girls/(guys if your one of those who support the male ones).

No. People do not want to just play cute races, look at any race poll on any of the fansites, there is a fairly even distribution and nothing like the made up nonsense figures you just stated.
Roegadyn will always be less popular than Lalafell regardless of what stats they have, just as Galkas are less popular than Tarutaru in ffxi, but most people will play male Hyur and Elezen because they fit into the traditional stereotype of a fantasy character best and look most human just as they did with male Hume and Elvaan in ffxi.
As for saying its unfair to people who took the time to test each races strengths and weaknesses and implying its the fault of casual players, grow up. Nothing you have said has an ounce of evidence to support it.
#18 Apr 06 2010 at 9:16 PM Rating: Good
44 posts
grow up? how is being even slightly competitive not being grown up. Just because i like a little bit of competitiveness in no way makes me immature. Also don't point me to any poles poles are never 100% accurate because there's and enormous amount of people who never log on to any forums or post or do any of those things and my figures were pretty justified just playing FF11. I saw far more tarus then anything else anywhere. If you disagree thats your opinion but dont tell me i have nothing supporting it when you can clearly look around anywhere and find more taru's then anything else.

Edit: ill edit this to say i should be a bigger person and also accept other peoples opinions since thats what im asking you to do. I don't think im automatically wrong just because you have another opinion.

Edited, Apr 6th 2010 11:31pm by Kingdestiny
#19 Apr 06 2010 at 9:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Bottom line is that there's no real strategy to picking a race based on its stats. Min/maxers who are willing to sacrifice (or just plain don't care) what race they play for performance's sake are the minority of players and shouldn't even ask for such a superficial mechanic knowing that it prevents many players from enjoying their favorite race.

The vast majority of players want races to be purely cosmetic.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#20 Apr 06 2010 at 9:49 PM Rating: Decent
44 posts
i know what you mean but my philosophy has always been that the way your race looks goes along with your personality style and what youd like to do as a class. If you pick Galka (sorry i know thats not the correct name anymore) I would most likely assume you'd want to do something with big muscles not go be a gardener.
#21 Apr 06 2010 at 9:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
That's one of those many things that makes logical sense, but is not really the way it is.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#22 Apr 06 2010 at 10:10 PM Rating: Good
*
163 posts
Kingdestiny wrote:
grow up? how is being even slightly competitive not being grown up. Just because i like a little bit of competitiveness in no way makes me immature. Also don't point me to any poles poles are never 100% accurate because there's and enormous amount of people who never log on to any forums or post or do any of those things and my figures were pretty justified just playing FF11. I saw far more tarus then anything else anywhere. If you disagree thats your opinion but dont tell me i have nothing supporting it when you can clearly look around anywhere and find more taru's then anything else.

Firstly I told you to grow up for unnecessary moaning, not for being competative, I don't even know where you got that from.
Polls( not poles )are used to indicate trends and if they all point toward ffxiv having almost the same racial distribution as ffxi, which they all do, then that says something, unlike your statement about 60% being Lalafell and 40% Miqo'te which is just pathetic and groundless.
I am using factual information (eg the vana'diel census)to support my argument whilst you have provided none.
Taru have increased in numbers in ffxi between 2006 and now, maybe because there are now less casual players in ffxi? Tarus are very popular amongst hardcore ffxi veterans and they are about the only regular players in ffxi now. When ffxi was at its most popular Hume and Elvaan were the most popular, this was when there were more casual players!
Mithra have never been popular as a race choice in ffxi and have always been second from bottom, hardly supports your theory does it!?
Casual players tend to favour human or elf looking characters and this is true in most MMO's, in WoW are the most cute races the most popular or is it human and elf looking ones? Its Humans and NE, the cutest are gnomes and they are nowhere in terms of popularity.
You need to look up the facts before you start making assumptions and wild generalisations to support your argument that didn't even make any sense to begin with because you can't type in coherent English.
#23 Apr 06 2010 at 10:43 PM Rating: Default
44 posts
Numpty your just one of the many people who can't accept anothers opinions besides your own. If it doesn't say what you want it to say your just not happy. If you had any intelligence at all and weren't blindly ranting pointlessly you'd realize that there's something called and exaggeration instead you decide to scream and yell til your point is heard. Also to say Gnomes are considered a cutesy class makes no sense at all. They don't look close to cute at all. And I'm sorry if my typing offends you its and opinion and there's no reason to type it any clearer if you dont agree do i care? Nope. Don't care a single bit so stop attacking me just because you have some rage.
#24 Apr 07 2010 at 2:01 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
From what I can see in the descriptions on the updated site:

1) Sea Wolves (Roegadyn) - seems to confirm there will be female "Galka" - 'they still subsist as fishermen and women'.

2) Plainsfolk (Lallafell) / Duskwight (Elezen) - both clans appear to mention an advantage (with reference to hand to hand combat at least in relation to the Elezen) arising from acute hearing bonuses.

3) Wildwood (Elezen) - a reference to 'unparalled expertise as archers' which seems to be enhanced by an 'incredibly keen sense of sight'.

4) Midland (Hyur) - apparently they are 'generally more educated than many of the other races and clans', although it is unclear what this means.

All in all, if I were to hazard a guess as to the distinction between the clans, it might impact your starting discipline/skillset, but it's still unclear as to what sort of passive advantage/disadvantage would apply.

____________________________
War 75 Nin75 Sam75
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)