Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Pugilist WeaponFollow

#1 Apr 07 2010 at 1:28 AM Rating: Decent
32 posts
I noticed that one of the weapons listed for the Pugilist is a Panzerfauste. Just doing a search for this word, I noticed that this was a gun used during WWII by the Germans as a "Anti-Tank" weapon. I'm wondering if A) This could mean Pugilist's could use some sort of gun (I'm thinking not), or B) They will have some kind of hand-to-hand "Anti-Tank" weapon to be used to decrease defensive attributes. I cant imagine a gun toting Pugilist because they are in immediate range on melee area, but it's interesting nonetheless
____________________________
Bigcountry-38 Thf Seraph
Joja 75 BST, RDM, BRD, WAR-Seraph
#2 Apr 07 2010 at 1:29 AM Rating: Decent
I'm not really sure how to interpret what they're going for with naming a set of knuckles after a, well, bazooka. Only time will tell.
____________________________
Hyanmen wrote:
It's a frocobo, duh.


Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU): comatose1
#3 Apr 07 2010 at 1:32 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
155 posts
Another interpritation
Breaking it down a little
A Panzer (English pronunciation: /ˈpænzər/) is a German tank
Faust or Faustus (Latin for "auspicious" or "lucky", but also German for "fist"

So Tank Fist?

Edited, Apr 7th 2010 3:35am by Faaeng
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#4 Apr 07 2010 at 1:35 AM Rating: Decent
Faaeng wrote:
Breaking it down a little
A Panzer (English pronunciation: /ˈpænzər/) is a German tank
Faust or Faustus (Latin for "auspicious" or "lucky", but also German for "fist"

So Tank Fist?


That actually does make more sense, it's a little late/early to be trying to translate German in my head. By that inference though, these will more than likely boost evasion or defense.
____________________________
Hyanmen wrote:
It's a frocobo, duh.


Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU): comatose1
#5 Apr 07 2010 at 1:37 AM Rating: Decent
32 posts
Interesting note....I never thought of it that way. But it seems as though since you'll have a form of Provoke, it may be some sort of defensive adaptation. You guys think that Knuckles will still be considered 2 handed or will there be some kind of Grip system for a Pugilist?
____________________________
Bigcountry-38 Thf Seraph
Joja 75 BST, RDM, BRD, WAR-Seraph
#6 Apr 07 2010 at 1:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,102 posts
Pugilists obviously squirt water at their enemies.
____________________________
------------------
#7 Apr 07 2010 at 1:40 AM Rating: Decent
BigcountryinTX wrote:
Interesting note....I never thought of it that way. But it seems as though since you'll have a form of Provoke, it may be some sort of defensive adaptation. You guys think that Knuckles will still be considered 2 handed or will there be some kind of Grip system for a Pugilist?


Since they said Pugilists will have a defensive stance, plus the provoke like ability.. It's a pretty good indicator there. I do believe they will still be considered as two handed and that if they do add grips they will specify them for knuckles only.
____________________________
Hyanmen wrote:
It's a frocobo, duh.


Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU): comatose1
#8 Apr 07 2010 at 1:44 AM Rating: Good
If I had bazookas strapped to my fists, I'd be dishing out some serious hurt. I don't know that I'd read too much into the name. It could be that the tank reference is hinting at a tank role, or it could be implying that the weapons pack a massive...punch. FFXI had a Bee Spatha but it didn't have a stinger, it didn't buzz, and it sure as **** didn't produce Beehive Chips.
#9 Apr 07 2010 at 1:44 AM Rating: Decent
32 posts
I'd be okay with that, isn't knuckles the only 2 handed weapon in FFXI w/o a Grip?
____________________________
Bigcountry-38 Thf Seraph
Joja 75 BST, RDM, BRD, WAR-Seraph
#10 Apr 07 2010 at 1:47 AM Rating: Decent
32 posts
Quote:
FFXI had a Bee Spatha but it didn't have a stinger, it didn't buzz, and it sure as **** didn't produce Beehive Chips.


I think the difference, to me at least, is that this is a kind of weapon. Not a specific weapon. Example is Bee Spatha or Behemoth Knuckles where as this is the second part as in Raptor Panzerfauste or Kraken Panzerfauste
____________________________
Bigcountry-38 Thf Seraph
Joja 75 BST, RDM, BRD, WAR-Seraph
#11 Apr 07 2010 at 1:49 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
155 posts
My guess is since the loose translation is "Tank Fists"
These are maybe more likely to be obviously fists or knuckles of some sort
with the "Tank" being some sort of defence stat boost maybe.
That would be my guess
____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#12 Apr 07 2010 at 2:20 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
A German Panzer is a tank, but the word "Panzer" outside of a military context means armor.

So armored fist/shielded fist. Reinforced knuckles, basically.
Quote:
some sort of defence stat boost maybe.

is a good guess.

Edited, Apr 7th 2010 4:23am by Almalexia
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#13 Apr 07 2010 at 3:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
6,424 posts
Almalexia wrote:
A German Panzer is a tank, but the word "Panzer" outside of a military context means armor.

So armored fist/shielded fist. Reinforced knuckles, basically.
Quote:
some sort of defence stat boost maybe.

is a good guess.


Yeah, that's the idea behind it. Punching a tank barefisted isn't gonna do much damage, but using a rocketpropelled armored fist will.

So the pugilist weapon isn't named after an RPG, the RPG is named after the pugilist weapon.
____________________________
No PUP, no glory! <Inferno Claws [4563/3520]>

"Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"
#14 Apr 07 2010 at 3:35 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
155 posts
Seedling wrote:
Almalexia wrote:
A German Panzer is a tank, but the word "Panzer" outside of a military context means armor.

So armored fist/shielded fist. Reinforced knuckles, basically.
Quote:
some sort of defence stat boost maybe.

is a good guess.


Yeah, that's the idea behind it. Punching a tank barefisted isn't gonna do much damage, but using a rocketpropelled armored fist will.

So the pugilist weapon isn't named after an RPG, the RPG is named after the pugilist weapon.


=P

____________________________
*Thievery* is not a job, but a lifestyle.
Now, let us show you how we live.
#15 Apr 07 2010 at 5:15 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
64 posts
I could see it being a "Tank" weapon. Alot of the skills shown for Pugs is "after evading" only. Giving me the idea that the class in a tank sense is based on Evading attacks, and PERHAPS lowering damage from attacks when wearing a certain type of fist weapon(IE: the Panzerfauste would give more "defense" than the Cesti)
____________________________
Quote:
To paraphrase a friend of mine, I want to be able to tie two Lalafell Pugilists together and use them as monkchuks.
#16 Apr 07 2010 at 6:16 PM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
As soon as I saw the pic of the panzerfaust I thought "tanking" just look at them, 2 big wide shield like knuckles, add to that the name, yep its a PUG tanking weapon, I bet you a gil.
#17 Apr 08 2010 at 3:33 PM Rating: Good
*
53 posts
Raiendel wrote:
Pugilists obviously squirt water at their enemies.


Of course. My lalafell pugilist will defeat his enemies with his yellow stream of JUSTICE!!
____________________________
Beastmastabeta


Mastamind Midgardsormr (world shift)
Mastamind Bahamut
#18 Apr 08 2010 at 11:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
64 posts
Quote:
Of course. My lalafell pugilist will defeat his enemies with his yellow stream of JUSTICE!!


/facepalm
____________________________
Quote:
To paraphrase a friend of mine, I want to be able to tie two Lalafell Pugilists together and use them as monkchuks.
#19 Apr 09 2010 at 12:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
More like red spurts given most Tarutaru monks I knew.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#20 Apr 09 2010 at 2:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
133 posts
I've noticed people really reading heavily into just about anything they can get their hands on on these forums. Well, no harm in that!

My first thought would be it just mean's they are going to be an extremely powerful weapon in a relatively small package as was the case with the actually panzerfaust.
____________________________
Now Go,
Stand up to a giant!
Said that I'm a fighter.
Too drunk to remember.
Too drunk to..
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)