Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

SummonsFollow

#1 Apr 07 2010 at 2:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,102 posts
How long do you think it'll be till these inevitably emerge into a summoner~esk class? Or, how do you think Summons will emerge in this FF?

Edited, Apr 9th 2010 1:34am by Raiendel
____________________________
------------------
#2 Apr 07 2010 at 3:16 AM Rating: Good
*
205 posts
Considering this is a Final Fantasy Game...I give it 1 expansion possibly. But because they've had massive time to work on this game it may be given as a patch update. Time wise, I'd speculate 6 months from release date for earliest, 1 year would be more probable.
____________________________
It's not who we are, but what we do that define us. - Batman Begins

#3 Apr 07 2010 at 4:26 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
531 posts
I think the first or second expansion will have a summoner-type class IF they decide to make it. If they do indeed create it I'll be incredibly happy and be playing as it for sure!
____________________________






#4 Apr 07 2010 at 6:04 AM Rating: Decent
**
697 posts
I'm hoping for more of a "Every Character gets a summon, but you must pick only 1" idea, like ffxiii. No class per-se, but maybe make Ramuh have abilities that enhance pugilists, Ifrit enhance gladiators, etc, etc.
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#5 Apr 07 2010 at 10:23 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
Raiendel wrote:
How long do you think it'll be till these inevitably emerge into a summoner~esque class?

FTFY

I really don't care if they have a Summoner class or not. If the devs want the summoners to only be part of the story line, I'm fine with that.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#6 Apr 07 2010 at 10:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
I hope summons replace the 2hr abilities and this
Quote:
I'm hoping for more of a "Every Character gets a summon, but you must pick only 1" idea, like ffxiii. No class per-se, but maybe make Ramuh have abilities that enhance pugilists, Ifrit enhance gladiators, etc, etc.
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#7 Apr 07 2010 at 11:13 AM Rating: Decent
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts

nites off the rownd!!!

____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#8 Apr 07 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
419 posts
Quote:
I hope summons replace the 2hr abilities and this
Quote:
I'm hoping for more of a "Every Character gets a summon, but you must pick only 1" idea, like ffxiii. No class per-se, but maybe make Ramuh have abilities that enhance pugilists, Ifrit enhance gladiators, etc, etc.


while the idea is cool, and flavor wise I love, it'll be great until 2 things happen:

1- Everyone picks the same summon (if they offer Odin or Bahamut expect this to be a reality)

or

2- One Summon ends up clearly being the best, and with no way to change their lame summon, everyone without it QQs

Now there are ways to work around this (like maybe u can change your avatar every week or something, or in a mog house etc but only have one active), but it's a potential slippery slope. Could be well worth it if done right though.
____________________________
Currently inactive blog, may go live again in the future:
http://ffxiv-hub.blogspot.com/
#9 Apr 07 2010 at 1:00 PM Rating: Decent
*
84 posts
It *is* a slippery slope to have players get only one summon they can choose. However, this can be circumvented by making the summons equally capable in combat (either melee or magic) and have strengths in certain elements like FFXI's avatars. Garuda = Wind, for example.

Regardless of the complications, I am definitely going to want to have a summon/avatar that is as **** as FFXI Garuda. :p
#10 Apr 07 2010 at 1:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
41 posts
The problem I think with Summons is that they're supposed to be these EPIC incredible beings that are game changing in the classic FFs and sort of an "I win button". In FFXI they were watered down and weren't very useful (From what I understand). They had to do this to keep things balanced otherwise everyone would be a summoner (who wouldn't want to be?)

I wouldn't hold it against Square Enix if they wanted to find a way to make Summons (Edions etc) more epic and powerful and not something you use on a regular basis.

They could come in the form of a crystal that your character equips that boosts your stats or teaches you a special ability (i.e. Magicite from VI and Summon Magicite from VII) and every 2 hours you could summon that summon down to do it's thing then take off. These could be acquired no matter the class but obviously different summons would be better for different classes. Also goes well with the Elements theme they have going (Ifrit, Shiva, Rhamu etc.) as equipping a particular summon could shift your element further.

Of course the quest to get these summons would have to be really epic and long, but part of the main end game progression.
You could pick from multiple summons, but you'll have to work your *** off to get it.



Edited, Apr 7th 2010 3:30pm by Xebius
____________________________
Yes I'm a bit of a jerk, but a rational jerk.
#11 Apr 07 2010 at 4:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
89 posts
Like a few here, I'd prefer summons for everyone somehow. Xebius' idea for it is pretty cool, I always loved the Magicite system. With weapons having such a drastic effect on characters, I could see how other equipment (like Magicite) could work well in such a system.

To keep summons really epic is a tough thing though. First off, they'd have to look really cool... :P There would have to be some kind of penalty or game mechanic to prevent the player from overusing them. A cooldown is probably the simplest way to do it...but I dunno if I'm a fan of another 2hour anything in FFXIV.

On another note, I think a mechanic like how the Odin summon worked in FFs past would be fun. You do some quest to unlock Odin, but you can't summon him through normal means, he just kinda shows up when he wants. To keep him useful though, maybe he'll only show up if your HP drops below 25%.





____________________________
He who has injured thee was either stronger or weaker than thee. If weaker, spare him; if stronger, spare thyself.
-William Shakespeare
#12 Apr 07 2010 at 4:13 PM Rating: Default
I dunno how quick SE will be to implement "the class that apparently everyone wants so, so , SO much but won't stop whining about when we give it to them."

Also, Pugilist will be the new summoner. True story.
#13 Apr 07 2010 at 4:28 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Rovec wrote:
On another note, I think a mechanic like how the Odin summon worked in FFs past would be fun. You do some quest to unlock Odin, but you can't summon him through normal means, he just kinda shows up when he wants. To keep him useful though, maybe he'll only show up if your HP drops below 25%.


I like this idea. Like, the summons have a 2% chance of being triggered by certain conditions (it'd have to be a really low %). Maybe all of the summons can have a different condition. A summon for Gladiators might only show up if the player is critical on health. A summon for mages might only show up when they're low on MP. One for Marauders might show up if they can rack up a certain amount of damage in a certain time. Etc. etc. And maybe they have situational abilities, like adding buffs, debuffs, or curing, instead of just doing some damage.

Might be kind of cool. Like a pleasant surprise once in a while that can turn the tide in a tough fight. I like it a lot better than having the summon running around with the other characters all the time, anyway. And if you were to give a summon to all classes, this would probably be the only viable way to keep them from getting abused, or overloading the screen with activity all the time.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#14 Apr 07 2010 at 6:33 PM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
I thought if used correctly the summoner job in FFXI was really useful and fun. Sure, some of the summons were easily more useful than others, but I think it became a matter of knowing when to use which.

While I do like the idea of each class having a "wild-card attack" that is triggered by some difficult preset conditions, I don't think I'd like to see summons filling that role.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#15 Apr 07 2010 at 8:39 PM Rating: Default
**
516 posts
Not sure how long until we can use them or whatever but I very positive they will be in the game and fightable because of one of the songs on the soundtrack that screams summon fight.
____________________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/loltarupup

My channel with FFXI battle music and hard to find songs that were not even released on Original Soundtracks.

I also plan on uploading FFXIV music when the game is released.
#16 Apr 08 2010 at 12:25 AM Rating: Good
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
AureliusSir the Mundane wrote:
I dunno how quick SE will be to implement "the class that apparently everyone wants so, so , SO much but won't stop whining about when we give it to them."

Also, Pugilist will be the new summoner. True story.


Well, they could start with not being idiots and make the class work. They might as well make WHM require TP in XIV if they want to ruin a new job this time around. Nobody is safe from SE's stupidity. (Unless their stupidity actually just is someone ******** with Summoners on purpose)
#17 Apr 08 2010 at 12:30 AM Rating: Good
**
437 posts
Quote:
Well, they could start with not being idiots and make the class work. They might as well make WHM require TP in XIV if they want to ruin a new job this time around. Nobody is safe from SE's stupidity. (Unless their stupidity actually just is someone ******** with Summoners on purpose)


Actually, they have stated that some "spells" will consume TP rather than MP.
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#18 Apr 08 2010 at 12:34 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
Quote:
while the idea is cool, and flavor wise I love, it'll be great until 2 things happen:

1- Everyone picks the same summon (if they offer Odin or Bahamut expect this to be a reality)

or

2- One Summon ends up clearly being the best, and with no way to change their lame summon, everyone without it QQs

Now there are ways to work around this (like maybe u can change your avatar every week or something, or in a mog house etc but only have one active), but it's a potential slippery slope. Could be well worth it if done right though.
I think you misunderstood me. You wouldn't get to pick you summons because it would be based on your class. Pugilist > Ifrit, Archer > Fenrir, Glad > Alexander, and so on.
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#19 Apr 08 2010 at 12:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,102 posts
Quote:
Actually, they have stated that some "spells" will consume TP rather than MP.


Yes. They've also stated that you don't just get TP from melee attacks. S'not FFXI, Mellowy, we have a fighting chance to get useful SMN's!

But I wont hold my breath.
____________________________
------------------
#20 Apr 08 2010 at 7:02 AM Rating: Decent
**
697 posts
Update! When you create your character you have to pick a Guardian Deity (or something like that)...could this pan out to be your own personal summon like i suggested?!?!
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#21 Apr 08 2010 at 7:17 AM Rating: Decent
*
163 posts
MerylStryfe wrote:
Update! When you create your character you have to pick a Guardian Deity (or something like that)...could this pan out to be your own personal summon like i suggested?!?!

Are you saying you put that in the "I called it" thread? or did someone else beat you to it!?
I do agree that is seems likely, but thats not being a summoner however.
#22 Apr 09 2010 at 12:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
You know random avatars assigned to character when they are created would be interesting. Maybe have it discovered at later levels when you are far enough you don't want to start over.
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#23 Apr 09 2010 at 12:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
133 posts
I find myself curious about the guardian deity option you get while creating your character. Could this deity be your own personal summon? Perhaps it acts like a 2 hour?

I base this off reading in an interview somewhere that summons will take on a more "god like" role in FFXIV. It's not hard to make connections between god like summons and something called a guardian deity.
____________________________
Now Go,
Stand up to a giant!
Said that I'm a fighter.
Too drunk to remember.
Too drunk to..
#24 Apr 09 2010 at 6:29 AM Rating: Good
MerylStryfe wrote:
I'm hoping for more of a "Every Character gets a summon, but you must pick only 1" idea, like ffxiii. No class per-se, but maybe make Ramuh have abilities that enhance pugilists, Ifrit enhance gladiators, etc, etc.


Maybe a minion or an avatar of the 'God you worship.' It would be a neat new element to the game.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#25 Apr 09 2010 at 6:37 AM Rating: Good
*
109 posts
Well, there's been no "official" confirmation that all at-release-jobs have been announced yet, right? In fact, I outright doubt this is the case.

Given that fact, a summoner-type class could be in from release. :)
#26 Apr 09 2010 at 6:44 AM Rating: Good
Lazrical wrote:
Well, there's been no "official" confirmation that all at-release-jobs have been announced yet, right? In fact, I outright doubt this is the case.

Given that fact, a summoner-type class could be in from release. :)


I hope we have a lot of variety at release, but I doubt it. I'm optimistic that it will fun either way. Knowing SE, the storyline and starter quests will distract us for quite a while even if we can't quite play the job we want.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)