Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV on X-box 360?Follow

#1 Apr 10 2010 at 4:33 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
Last I knew, there was nothing official saying that FFXIV would be released on the 360, but I'm sure we figure it would just be a matter of time.

I recently stumbled across an article from Feb. saying that it would happen. http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/02/square-enix-cv-confirms-ffxiv-for-360/
But other than that, nothing.

So my question is: How long will XIV be out before it's on the 360? My opinion, we will see it as soon as the following quarter. If FFXIV comes out in Oct-Nov, I think a Jan-Feb release is coming.

Of course, this whole topic is moot if you guys have a link to some info I haven't come across yet.... If that's the case, then I apologize in advance.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#2 Apr 10 2010 at 4:39 PM Rating: Good
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts

No official answer.

I'd guess 6+ months after launch. I'd say there is at least a 30% chance that the answer is never. Personally, I would start planning to play it on one of the two platforms that will be available at launch.
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#3 Apr 10 2010 at 4:43 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
41 posts
Nobody knows anything really. We know that chances are good that it will happen but we have no solid idea about when.

My thoughts on why there's been no official announcement are that Square is trying to work out a deal with Microsoft as Xbox live is tricky for MMOs. From a technology standpoint if it will work on the PC then it's easily ported to 360 so that's probably not an issue. I imagine that SE is happy to just work on the PC and PS3 versions of the game for now, to get it out in decent time then work on the 360 version after it's released.
____________________________
Yes I'm a bit of a jerk, but a rational jerk.
#4 Apr 10 2010 at 4:52 PM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
Quote:
Personally, I would start planning to play it on one of the two platforms that will be available at launch.

I'm lucky enough to have an awesome wife who bought me a PS3 & FFXIII for my birthday last month.
The reason for the topic is really for the people who won't play games on a PC and don't have a PS3. I have some friends and family who played FFXI on 360 and loved it. They just won't buy a PS3 for one game.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#5 Apr 10 2010 at 5:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
162 posts
Last I heard the biggest problem is SE wants FFXIV to work on Silver membership seeing it is a pay per month game. MS wants it to be gold onry bc, well they are greedy little a$$hats . Read that on some other post on this forum many moons ago but I am too lazy to look it up, don't quote me as most of whats on here is speculation but this is believable speculation.
____________________________
Name: Aremethius (R.I.P.)
Race: Elvaan M
Server: Fenrir
LS: HeartsofIce (leader)
Trutle
Jobs:75THF 75SAM 75PLD
#6 Apr 10 2010 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
*
84 posts
It won't be on the 360 because of Microsoft's attitude about subscriptions and MMOs in general. I already said something about this before.

Champions Online was supposed to be ready to go on Xbox 360, but some last minute red tape from Microsoft sent it to the trash bin.

So yeah I am not expecting it to work out for FFXIV. Sorry, guys. Microsoft is distinctly ANTI-MMO. Look at what happened to that one MMO they were paying for...they ran off to SOE because Microsoft was like... "Make it for Vista Only", and the devs were like... "No thanks."
#7 Apr 10 2010 at 8:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
437 posts
Maybe game developers will learn their lesson and just stop trying to get around X-Box live's stupid policies. Doesn't sound like Micro$oft is making it worth their while anyway.
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#8 Apr 10 2010 at 9:22 PM Rating: Default
I'm under the impression that if you have a 360 (I do) that you already have Xbox Live Gold (I do) anyways. I completely disagree with scrapping it on the 360 because of this.
____________________________
Hyanmen wrote:
It's a frocobo, duh.


Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU): comatose1
#9 Apr 10 2010 at 9:55 PM Rating: Decent
**
437 posts
XBox Live Silver = Free.
XBox Live Gold seems to have a membership fee associated with it that would be more on top of the SE fee for FFXIV.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/joinlive.htm
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#10 Apr 10 2010 at 9:58 PM Rating: Excellent
*
84 posts
Xbox Live Gold Requires a subscription. if Microsoft wants a new MMO to actually move units of the Xbox 360, they need to accept the fact that MMORPG developers do not want to drive away users with an additional subscription cost.

The PS3 does not require you to pay a subscription for premium network service, making it one of the better platforms for MMORPGs. On top of that, it doesn't require developers to connect the user's PS3 client through a proxy service like Xbox Live to their MMO server. The PS3 lets you connect directly, instead of adding another hoop to jump through.

Simply put, this is the final verdict: Microsoft is Anti-MMO.

Shut up about it, guys, and give up on it. MMORPGs have always performed best on PCs and the PlayStation (due to minimal red tape), and it will remain that way until Microsoft pulls their collective heads out of their asses.
#11 Apr 10 2010 at 11:03 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,431 posts

Quote:
Sorry, guys. Microsoft is distinctly ANTI-MMO


Isn't that MMO, The Secret World, supposed to come out on 360?
____________________________
~Phoenix / Figaro~
--
Little angel go away,
come again some other day.
The devil has my ear today,
I'll never hear a word you say.
#12 Apr 11 2010 at 9:04 AM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
Quote:
I'm under the impression that if you have a 360 (I do) that you already have Xbox Live Gold (I do) anyways. I completely disagree with scrapping it on the 360 because of this.


And this seems to be the biggest issue that I've run into. Everyone who I know in RL who has a 360, has a gold membership! Including myself.

I understand SE's standpoint. It's not gonna help to sell the game if X-box users are the only ones who have to pay an additional fee.

I also understand (however disagree with) Microsoft's standpoint. They stand to make no extra money if only the "free" silver service is being used.

But in the end, if this is the true reason, I think it's the X-box users who lose.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#13 Apr 11 2010 at 9:09 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,246 posts
If there's any info it will definately be at e3, I wouldn't be surprised if they took the opertunity to rub it in Sony's faces that it wont be the only console it will be coming to in 2010.
____________________________
Meowth!
#14 Apr 11 2010 at 10:42 AM Rating: Excellent
*
225 posts
I personally bought a Ps3 knowing that id be soo ****** if my current comp couldn't run ffxiv. 360 was also really ******* me off with the lets put out a decent game every 8 months or so. last year I bought live and didnt log on once because halo was finally dying and didnt care for world at war (huge cod fan too. Ps3 just seems all around better and having it in time for launch is going to be a plus. just sell your 360 on craigslist and buy a ps3 :)
____________________________

WoW Rhyste BE Pally 80 Gul'dan

FFXI Rhyste 75WHM/75 BRD Retired
Opo-Opo Crown Obtained 6/22/07 @ 1:07 AM
E-PIN Obtained 11/21/07 @ 1:30 AM

2011:living in vanadiel once again.
FFXI Plastik Asura
Main: Rdm, Thf
#15 Apr 11 2010 at 2:54 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
133 posts
First thing, you don't need a Gold membership on 360 to play XI or any subscription based game like XI or PSU, so that isn't the issue.

I'm guessing the 360 version will release around the time the put out the first major expansion for XIV. I'd say there's about a 20% chance it'll never make it to the 360 but the way I see it the 360 version breathed new life into XI and I can't imagine they'd ***** all the 360 players who are going to want to play it.

I include myself in that but luckily I'm getting a PS3 here in the next few weeks. Not just for XIV and the beta but I got a chance to play Modern Warfare 2 on the 360 and holy **** is it ever a lot easier online. Haha.

Edited, Apr 11th 2010 4:55pm by LestatXIV
____________________________
Now Go,
Stand up to a giant!
Said that I'm a fighter.
Too drunk to remember.
Too drunk to..
#16 Apr 11 2010 at 8:24 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
224 posts
My understanding of the delay for it coming to the 360, is much the same as the reason FFXI didn't come to the Xbox 360 shortly after the 360 was released. It is a double issue, that SE and MS did work out for FFXI, however MS says they are unwilling to make the same deal again, and SE won't release unless they get the same deal:

1) MS wants all games played on the 360 to be on their own dedicated Live servers, which would mean while PS3 and PC players could play on the same servers, 360 players would only be able to play with 360 players. SE wants the game to be both cross platform and cross regional for all players.

2) MS only wants 360 Gold Live accounts to be able to play the game, SE wants 360 Silver to also be able to play the game. (to be honest, I've never really understood why SE cares on this point, but it was an issue for FFXI getting released to the 360, and from what I understand, it's an issue this time as well).

As stated above, MS did finally give in to SE's requirements for FFXI, so there is every reason to hope they will again for FFXIV, however that doesn't mean they will for sure. I'm not going to give a % for the game coming to 360, because honestly, any number anyone gives other then someone directly from SE and MS who actually know how the negotiations are going, are meaningless. Best advise, hope for it to come to 360 if you have one, pick up a PS3 in the meantime, they aren't expensive anymore, and there are a lot of games only on the PS3 that you will find more than worthwhile if FFXIV does come to the 360 :P
____________________________
75 blm, 75 nin, 75 brd, 64 bst, 57 pld, 53 rdm
NPC 65
RotZ= Complete
CoP= 8.1
Retired from FFXI.
Retired from LOTRO
Retired from Rift
#17 Apr 11 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
SE wants it to go to 360, but they're having problems w/ MSFT, probably to do w/ Xbox Live. Then it all depends on what SE is worried about. Getting the game out on time for PC/PS3, or working on a port they don't know when it will happen.
#18 Apr 11 2010 at 8:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
133 posts
M$ is getting more money hungry every day. It seems like the more money they get the more they want. I can't believe they won't compromise with SE. So what, they're gonna lose a few thousand gold subs to XIV. That SAME number of people aren't going to not play XIV because M$ says they can't they're going to switch systems, like me.

Personally I have no problem going out and getting a PS3. At this point I don't care what M$ does.
____________________________
Now Go,
Stand up to a giant!
Said that I'm a fighter.
Too drunk to remember.
Too drunk to..
#19 Apr 11 2010 at 10:23 PM Rating: Decent
*
152 posts
Yep, I own both consoles and enjoy gaming on both. The problem is I'm sick of paying for Live, and being forced to
pay for Gold plus a Subscription fee is ridiculous. IMO,if FFXIV isn't going to implement Party chat in the game,
then it would be much better to play on 360 over the PS3.

I plan to pick up the PS3 and PC version.
____________________________
Formula One (Besaid)
Synergy LS Info: www.syn-city.com
#20 May 27 2010 at 3:28 AM Rating: Decent
5 posts
No matter the platform you play it on the game will still be the same.. I understand the graphics may be a little better on the PC but who needs all the headaches involvled with getting anything to run smoothly on a PC nowadways? I hope it gets released on all platforms because the lager the playing community the better it is for all of us .
#21 May 27 2010 at 5:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
First thing, you don't need a Gold membership on 360 to play XI or any subscription based game like XI or PSU, so that isn't the issue.


Yea, that's right bud, but that would be the agreement that SE and MS came to regarding FFXI and the one they seem to have yet come to regarding FFXIV if we're to speculate on why its not going to the 360 - there is simply no other reason it wouldn't. I would assume they will eventually come to an agreement and this will come to the 360 soon after if not at the same time as the PS3 and PC versions. The more the merrier.
____________________________
MUTED
#22 May 27 2010 at 5:23 AM Rating: Default
5 posts
MMOs on Xbox 360 do not require Xbox Live Gold, only Silver.
This has been the policy ever since the console was launched.
It's not excluse to XI because of some secret agreement between SE and MS. It's just how it is!
That said, there can be other policy issues that make it hard to do MMOs on the console, but it's not the subscriptions doing it.
#24 May 27 2010 at 8:08 AM Rating: Decent
*
58 posts
Xbox 360 users were added to the same servers as everyone else in ffxi. I don't see why it would be different this time around.
#25 May 27 2010 at 8:35 AM Rating: Decent
5 posts
I don't think you're supposed to take his post seriously :P
He managed to avoid putting in even 1 substantial point, while just trying to sell ps3s ^^;
#26 May 27 2010 at 11:13 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
633 posts
shinichoco wrote:
Maybe game developers will learn their lesson and just stop trying to get around X-Box live's stupid policies. Doesn't sound like Micro$oft is making it worth their while anyway.


Is this a joke?

Do you honestly think that a company that provides it's own hosting services and thus charges for those services should have to additionally ask its customers to pay Microsoft as well? What about Microsoft requiring that your content be purchased through their marketplace, with a cut of course.

Its a sham, designed specifically to prevent companies like Square from providing their own superior and proprietary service to their customers.

I have read about at least a half dozen MMOs that rightfully so told Microsoft to go **** themselves when discussing the licensing fees and requirements of having a 360 MMO. Crossplatform games were also doomed at the start as Microsoft had strict policies in terms of content distribution and release times.

Now that Square is ditching PlayOnline as a client and moving towards their new Square Enix Account Management system I am sure their are eager to start make some return on their investment. Did you know that Microsoft basically requires Downloadable content to be purchased directly through live now? So how exactly would Square's new CRYSTA Microtransaction system work then, when Microsoft's lawyers state that you cannot provide virtual content without them taking a cut and it being available on Live!?

Involving Microsoft and its tedious and counter-productive arrangements with cross platform online games is a step backwards, not forwards. I will be upset that I cannot play on the 360 and even more upset that many of my friends will not be able to play at launch, but honestly I do not blame Square one bit for not wanting to involve Microsoft after FFXIII.
____________________________
"BSTito, ergo erat..." (I BST, therefore I was.) -Rennne Decarrtee, Mithran Philosopher
#27 May 27 2010 at 12:07 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
flukedrk the Shady wrote:

I'm under the impression that if you have a 360 (I do) that you already have Xbox Live Gold (I do) anyways. I completely disagree with scrapping it on the 360 because of this.


Why would you be under this impression? I have had a 360 for years and have never had a Gold membership. Not everyone bought a 360 to play Halo. I have a vast collection of games, none of which require me to pay Microsoft monthly fees to play.

Unless Microsoft caves on this, I really don't see XIV coming to the Xbox. It's unfortunate, but that's the reality of it. Someone mentioned that folks won't buy a new gaming system just to play one game. Well, that goes both ways. Those of us who don't already have Gold aren't going to pay an extra subscription fee for just one game.
#29 May 27 2010 at 12:37 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Rush1984 wrote:

Dont think Xbox 360 players will be playing with playstation players its never been done but who knows maybe it could happen but i wouldnt hold your breath.


I don't understand this statement. Xbox 360, Playstation and PC players have been playing together in XI for oh, over half a decade now?

#30 May 27 2010 at 12:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Torrence wrote:
Rush1984 wrote:

Dont think Xbox 360 players will be playing with playstation players its never been done but who knows maybe it could happen but i wouldnt hold your breath.


I don't understand this statement. Xbox 360, Playstation and PC players have been playing together in XI for oh, over half a decade now?




Try telling this to the people over at the TOR forums. I swear to Holy God, it's like handing a man a fork and him insisting you just gave him a knife. It's mind boggling how they just don't get it sometimes most of the time. But back to the OP:

It's always been my impression that SE wants to have XIV for the 360. Who wouldn't want their product to reach a broader audience anyway? But that M$ is holding up the negotiations. I can't imagine why else this would be if not for M$ pushing for a Gold membership requirement. But that's just my speculation.
#32 May 27 2010 at 1:14 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Rush1984 wrote:

maybe thats true i dont really know too much about that, but its besides the point.
im not trying start a flame war with xbox fan boys. Im just giving logic to why xbox 360 will or will not get ff14. The xbox does have a rather easy developing platform maybe something can be done or some kind of work around im not saying its impossible im just stating that with the two systems ps3 was the obvious choice for SE.


I don't think anyone believes that the problem with FFXIV coming to Xbox 360 is that SE just doesn't know how to code it. Given that they already have FFXI running and working with players from multiple countries on multiple platforms, I'd say it's a safe bet they have enough experience with the 360. This isn't a knowledge issue, it's a policies issue.

#33 May 27 2010 at 1:14 PM Rating: Good
*
58 posts
I don't see any fanboys getting mad; they're just pointing out when you talk out of your ***.

As far as the hardware side, I'm not going to get into it since I don't know enough about it to discuss it.
#35 May 27 2010 at 3:25 PM Rating: Default
5 posts
I'll say it again
MMOs on Xbox 360 do not require Xbox Live Gold! They never have.
Since these do not use the Live servers and have their own subscriptions they can be played by Live Silver members.

Rush, go read hardware analysis of the consoles, not just run downs of the stats.
Each of the 7 SPEs in the PS3 is good at certain types of calculations, but weak for general purpose programming because of bandwidth issues.
The game could easily run on the 360 without huge sacrifices or cuts - most likely none.
The game did in fact start development on the 360 and after the announcement at E3 last year, SE cited policy issues as what was holding it back on 360 and not hardware issues.

If nothing is mentioned about it at E3 then I'd start 'getting worried' (not really, I'll play on pc anyway).
Right now I really think it'll come to Xbox eventually.
#36 May 27 2010 at 3:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Milco wrote:
If nothing is mentioned about it at E3 then I'd start 'getting worried' (not really, I'll play on pc anyway).
Right now I really think it'll come to Xbox eventually.


I will agree that eventually I think it will come to XBAX (permitting M$ and $E come to a compromise), but as of now I HIGHLY doubt an xbax release, especially if we don't see a short xbax beta somewhere along the way.

Edited, May 27th 2010 5:38pm by burtonsnow
#37 May 27 2010 at 3:52 PM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
I believe that there will be an X-box release after it's out for the PS3. SE is too smart to let the user base of FFXI from X-box go without at least trying to keep them. Never mind the people who didn't play on X-box because when FFXI was finally out on that system the game was "so old" and figured they would just wait for the next one.

I don't think the squabble that Microsoft & SE are in is going to be enough to keep the game away from X-box forever. Both companies want money, SE is going to want as many people playing the game as they can get. That means people who are only playing games on X-box. Microsoft doesn't want people to go out and buy their competitor's game system to play a game they could just as easily support.

Jack Tretton was very specific with his wording at last years E3. "PS3 will be the only console where you can play Final Fantasy XIV at launch"

Anything after that is fair game. Be it 6 months or a year later, I can't see any good reason that FFXIV won't make it's way to the X-box. Unless of course SE knows something about a "next" X-box and that's the console we see it on?
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#38 May 27 2010 at 5:08 PM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
When in doubt, call everyone that disagrees a fanboy. Good stuff coming from a guy that has ps3 fanboy written all over him. For the record, I have a ps3, xbox 360, and a gaming pc that won't have any trouble with this game when it's released.

Pretty much everything you have said is talking out of your ***. I'll quote some of it.

I read a while back that the Xbox 360 lacks the capability to handle Final fantasy xiv , due to the large amount of data needed to run such a huge game and all players on screen

Where did you read this? I've been following this game for a while being a ffxi player from way back and have never seen that one.

This isnt to say xbox is crap in anyway its a great gaming console, its just lacks the gaming power of the Ps3

Maybe maybe not, but it hasn't been put to work if that's the case. With such awesome power at the disposal of developers, what are they waiting for?

I dont think its likely that they will add xbox 360 to that list and then they would have to think about more servers just for the xbox players that will only play amonst thems selfs.

Once again history has proven you wrong here.

Then theres the fact that xbox players already pay a subscription fee to play on live to play ffxiv would need aditional fee's and i dont think many console gamers in general would want to pay all that, though id imagine there is some out there who would.

Looks like someone else covered that one.

Dont think Xbox 360 players will be playing with playstation players its never been done but who knows maybe it could happen but i wouldnt hold your breath.

FFXI says hi again.


however the xbox just isnt capable of running final fantasy xiv, final fantasy xiv will be using (almost) 100% of the Ps3's capabiltys


Source for this info please?

im not trying start a flame war with xbox fan boys. Im just giving logic to why xbox 360 will or will not get ff14.

Your logic is busted and you seem to be the fanboy in this thread.


it wont be as good as on PC reduced graphics ect ect but im guessing most xbox fan boys wont mind that as long as they dont get left out


Fixed that for you since that's the most likely outcome. There may be a difference between the pc and consoles, but I'd bet the console versions would be identical just like every other game they have shared. I'd like to see what someone that has knowledge on the subject that doesn't smell like a fanboy would say on the matter.






#39 May 27 2010 at 9:08 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
SE has made it clear that they want to bring XIV to the 360, so they obviously feel comfortable with their chances at getting it to run just fine on the platform.

SE (Tanaka, specifically) said the issue preventing release on the 360 was Microsoft's "network policy." Since there were no insurmountable barriers to XI coming to the 360, and the with number of MMOs that have scrapped 360 versions lately, it's logical to assume that MS has made a change on how they want MMOs on their console, and it isn't a popular one with developers. Some have guessed MS is pushing for Gold membership for any future MMO subscriptions. Blizzard made mention that MS wanted a share of all subscriptions that played on their platform when talking about the challenges of bringing WoW or their future MMO to consoles... so that could be it. But we know it's a "network Policy" that's causing the hangup, and if/when the two sides come to an agreement, we'll see a port.
#41 May 28 2010 at 6:27 AM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
The game would install on the hdd so what difference does it make if blu rays are or aren't used?

I've been reading forums long enough to spot a fanboy and the whole "x is good and all, but y rocks and here's why x sucks" routine doesn't work here.

Ps3 exclusives look 10x better then the multiplatform games because they are made to use all the ps3 power.

Who would think that a game optimized to run on a certain platform would look better than multiplatform games? Btw that works the other way around.

And guess what excluding pc FF14 is a PS3 exclusive.

Well guess what excluding ps3 and pc Madden football is 360 exclusive. See how that works?

Anyway you sound more like a xbox fan boy getting angry because i believe you wont get ff14. i could be wrong but that how it looks.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg228/KaipoLex/Capture.jpg

Yeah you're wrong, what's new though?





Edited, May 28th 2010 8:27am by HooraySoysauce
#43 May 28 2010 at 9:29 AM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
you still sound like your getting upset of teh fact i dont think xbox will get ff14 :(

Why would I be upset? I just think you fanboys are pathetic. I have both consoles and shown that I have a pc that will easily handle the game (most likely). I like all gaming, so I have every platform. I do hope the game is on the 360 since more players would be better for the game, but not because I would play on it since I wouldn't.

btw ps3 eclusives look much better then xbox exclusives graphically that was what im saying Gears of war 2 is probally one best graphics in a game for xbox and its **** nice but not even close to how nice uncharted 2 is.

i dont understand why people have to argue this so much? If a machine is better then its better simple as that.


More fanboy talk and giving opinions as fact. Both games are impressive, but ffxiv isn't appearing to be some graphical powerhouse that will bring a system to its knees. Once again I'd like to hear from someone that doesn't have a clear bias on the subject.

And you say FF14 will stream from HDD? can you link me an offical statement of this? ive not heard this?

Id imagine it would be a partial install and still require the use of the disc just like so many other ps3 games.
BTW you realise if they streamed whole game from hdd howmany GB that would be? and you think those with 20gb ps3 ect would be able to do that, i dont think so ,


You're right I don't have an official statement. That's just a guess since that's how ffxi worked for pc and ps2. As far as the 20gb users, perhaps they would need to throw in a larger hdd? It's not hard or even expensive, but who knows what SE will do regarding that. Another guess, but I'd bet most ps3 and 360 users have systems with more than 20gb these days.






#45 May 28 2010 at 9:40 AM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
That was the best post you have made in this thread. Keep it up.
#47 May 28 2010 at 9:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
556 posts
Honestly I bet Microsoft wants to see how well the game will do first before they budge on anything! In the past couple of years games have been so hyped only to fail after launch! Although I don't think FFXIV is going to fail! In fact i think it's going to lay the MMO Gauntlet down!
____________________________
Jayy Submor-Hyperion-Slash Flex
#48 May 28 2010 at 10:28 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Speaking on my own behalf:

1) I don't own a PS3 and have no plans to purchase one in the near future.
2) I do own a good gaming PC and use it regularly. I'm using it to post this, even.
3) I do own a 360 and I have XBL Silver. It only ever goes online to download DLC.

I have no interest or desire to ever play any 360 game I have ever bought on XBL multiplayer; my online multiplayer gaming is limited only to the games I have for PC, and if there's a game I want to play online, I buy it for the PC.

So theoretically, if I didn't want to play 14 on PC, I'd be pretty shafted if FFXIV for 360 required me to ALSO purchase a gold membership on top of 14's cost.

I honestly don't think that M$ should be charging a fee to use XBL to play a game that also has its own subscriber fee. I would still play XIV on the PC either way, I just think it's unfair to any other people who have XBL but don't like playing games online with it and therefore don't have (or want to purchase) gold. If they also don't have a good gaming PC or a PS3, then they are going to be forking out a couple hundred bucks or (more likely) going to have to give 14 a pass.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#49 May 28 2010 at 11:02 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Rush, I don't understand your posts to be quite honest, but I'll list a few facts here in an easy to read format.


1. FFXI is played by people in multiple countries, on the Xbox 360, the PC, and the Ps2 (as well as the original "fat" ps3 with a patch). There are no separate servers for the 360 players, they play on the same servers as everyone else.

2. The game is currently installed to the hard drive and played straight from the hard drive on all three systems. The 360 requires the game disc to be in the tray, but other than that the game is played from the HDD. The PC and Ps2 do not require the game disc to be in the tray. The reason for this is twofold: The hard drive can hold much more data than a CD and you don't want to be switching CDs every time you access an expansion, and seek times on a HDD versus a CD\DVD drive are significantly lower. There is no reason to believe that they would deviate from this standard at this time.

3. The graphics are not the same quality on all three systems. Ps2 is limited by hardware and so the resolution and overlay is lower than the 360 and the PC. There is no reason to believe that SE couldn't make a version for the 360 utilizing its resources and still make a version that utilizes the Ps3's resources. They can't use the same dev kit for both anyway, so it makes sense that they would design the game so that it runs reasonably well on the 360.

4. You are starting to sound a little troll-ish. Just a little, but it's there. We are trying to give you a little more insight into the history of Square Enix MMOs because it sounds like you aren't an FFXI player and are lacking the knowledge we have. It doesn't make us "fanboys" to be attempting to educate you on the facts.



Having said all that, I do hope that you plan to join us in XIV, because it sounds like it's shaping up to be pretty **** epic.

Edited, May 28th 2010 1:35pm by Torrence
#51 May 28 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
I'm just using FFXI just as a tool of explanation because of how it currently works, and how other mmos currently work. We can reasonably expect that SE won't be deviating too much from what has been done in the past, since these methods are already tried and true. I'm just giving you a little background on the system so you have a better idea of what to be looking for when you are reading about XIV.

We actually do want things like "install to hdd" to be the method of choice because it will still be a great deal faster than reading from a a DVD or Bluray disc. Bluray can hold a lot of data, yes, but the seek times for data will still be far slower than a HDD's seek time and believe me, we'll notice it. This isn't about "how much data can be packed in a disc", it's about "how fast can we access the data on that disc and present it to the system".

« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)