Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Accidental rare/ex item distribution fixFollow

#1 Apr 13 2010 at 5:29 AM Rating: Good
**
753 posts
So I haven't played FFXI in about 3 years, so they could have fixed this already, but back in the day if rare/ex loot was accidentally given to someone in the group that it wasn't supposed to go to, there was no way of fixing the error. On WoW, you could put in a ticket for a GM to fix the error, and a few months ago they instituted a change where any raid items can be traded to anybody else who was in the raid at the time the item was looted for up to 2 hours. So if the healer accidentally gets looted those tank gloves, they can still be traded to the tank (so long as the tank was in the group at the time they dropped) for up to 2 hours afterwards.

Just hoping this is implemented in FFXIV, cause I personally have been burned in FFXI due to loot that was supposed to go to me going to someone else by mistake, and it sucked.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 7:29am by Cirvantes
____________________________
~Alexander~
WHM75 BST75
Retired
#2 Apr 13 2010 at 5:55 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
64 posts
Be more careful?
____________________________
Quote:
To paraphrase a friend of mine, I want to be able to tie two Lalafell Pugilists together and use them as monkchuks.
#3 Apr 13 2010 at 6:42 AM Rating: Good
**
782 posts
Provide snarky reply?
#4 Apr 13 2010 at 6:49 AM Rating: Decent
**
753 posts
Quote:
Be more careful?


Stupid reply. Human error happens. Not to mention cases in which somebody may lag/disconnect just as rolling happens.
____________________________
~Alexander~
WHM75 BST75
Retired
#5 Apr 13 2010 at 7:31 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
I prefer the system FFXI provided regarding the permanent nature for loot distribution. At this point (sigh...once again) WoW has created a numbing system that provokes no thought because the decisions can be reversed nearly indefinately.

Regarding the whining feud that's fueled by the "Zomg, that was mine...GIVE ME NOWZ" B.S. that constantly plagues WoW and loot crying, no thanks. WoW can keep their system. Sure, you could and would get scammed out of something every now and then, but usually more out of not sticking to the games social norm of working with a group of people you trust but instead getting greedy and working with someone who promised things and then didn't deliver.

FFXI had a fair, mature way of doing things. You either lotted and let the system decide, or the loot distributer was someone you, your team, and/or your guild trusted to distribute things fairly. Human error happens...I personally made mistakes distributing loot during Dynamis runs on one or two rare occassions. The result was my guild laughing it off because it's just a game, and they knew it was an accident. Unlike WoW, where a mistake would likely result in the desintegration of an entire guild.

*shrug*...just my opinion.
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#6 Apr 13 2010 at 7:53 AM Rating: Good
**
423 posts
actually i don't mind WoW's system, but i don't like it either.

There are always accidents and the BoP or Rare/Ex is only a system in place to protect a virtual market not to punish the player for making a small mistake.

I encourage being able to swap items because realistically you all worked towards it and someone screwed up, it happens, whatever, we can all understand and probably have all been there. It purposely limits the item too because it stops you from swapping outside of an instance.

This also is one of the things i like WoW for. They did it right, it doesn't in any way break the game or make it easier all it does is fix one of the irk's people have when someone screws up.

Lastly before GM's would only fix 3-4ish items i believe then if you asked again they would deny you. I bet item moves were taking way too much of the GM's time so they implemented this system.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 7:54am by boriss
#7 Apr 13 2010 at 8:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
867 posts
Cirvantes wrote:
On WoW, you could put in a ticket for a GM to fix the error, and a few months ago they instituted a change where any raid items can be traded to anybody else who was in the raid at the time the item was looted for up to 2 hours. So if the healer accidentally gets looted those tank gloves, they can still be traded to the tank (so long as the tank was in the group at the time they dropped) for up to 2 hours afterwards.


No offense to OP or anyone wanting a system like this but if something like this existed in Xi RMT jump all over this like white on rice. Bad enough they try to do this anyway. I hope SE finds some way to prevent RMT in Xiv, but sadly enough I'm sure they'll find a way sooner or later.
____________________________
Asyrian - 90 Drg/Mnk
Reisaki - 90 Blu/Dnc/Pup/Rdm
Majoga - 90 Pld/Nin
Belisi - 90 Sch/Cor/Whm


#8 Apr 13 2010 at 8:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Asyrian wrote:
Cirvantes wrote:
On WoW, you could put in a ticket for a GM to fix the error, and a few months ago they instituted a change where any raid items can be traded to anybody else who was in the raid at the time the item was looted for up to 2 hours. So if the healer accidentally gets looted those tank gloves, they can still be traded to the tank (so long as the tank was in the group at the time they dropped) for up to 2 hours afterwards.


No offense to OP or anyone wanting a system like this but if something like this existed in Xi RMT jump all over this like white on rice. Bad enough they try to do this anyway. I hope SE finds some way to prevent RMT in Xiv, but sadly enough I'm sure they'll find a way sooner or later.
What exactly would RMT do with it? The item can only be traded to members who were part of a raid/dungeon run. It's the equivalent of an assault or dynamis group having an item drop to someone's inventory, and being able to give it to the intended person once the run was over. I can't believe anyone would actually be against something like this.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#9 Apr 13 2010 at 9:01 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
Harri wrote:
What exactly would RMT do with it?


The same thing they did in FFXI with the system available there..."sell" loot runs. Only with WoW's system, it will be monumentally easier for them since they can just "trade" the Rare/Ex loot.

Edit: To clarify, FFXI didn't "bind" equipment, it simply made it so that certain items weren't tradeable by any means. If FFXIV adopted WoW's BoP/BoE system as well as it's tradeable BoP gear system that was created with the dungeon finder system, RMT can just perform group tasks with others in the game, roll/win gear, and then "sell" it off to someone in the group who wanted it more. Right now, that can't be done in FFXI and it shouldn't be an option in FFXIV. Loot drops, the owner owns it. Period. And you can argue "That's not RMT, that's scamming", you can bet your bottom that RMT would utilize this to generate in-game currency.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 11:06am by Ryneguy
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#10 Apr 13 2010 at 9:09 AM Rating: Excellent
****
9,017 posts
Ryneguy wrote:
Harri wrote:
What exactly would RMT do with it?


The same thing they did in FFXI with the system available there..."sell" loot runs. Only with WoW's system, it will be monumentally easier for them since they can just "trade" the Rare/Ex loot.

Edit: To clarify, FFXI didn't "bind" equipment, it simply made it so that certain items weren't tradeable by any means. If FFXIV adopted WoW's BoP/BoE system as well as it's tradeable BoP gear system that was created with the dungeon finder system, RMT can just perform group tasks with others in the game, roll/win gear, and then "sell" it off to someone in the group who wanted it more. Right now, that can't be done in FFXI and it shouldn't be an option in FFXIV. Loot drops, the owner owns it. Period. And you can argue "That's not RMT, that's scamming", you can bet your bottom that RMT would utilize this to generate in-game currency.
Wait, you could like...not invite RMT in your party? And who tells you they will win the loot if everyone rolls? If it's quartermaster, it's at your own risk. There is no downside whatsoever to WoW's system with misdistributed loot.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 11:12am by Ikkian
____________________________
クリスチアン・デュシェーヌ
栗栖治安
#11 Apr 13 2010 at 9:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Ryneguy wrote:
Harri wrote:
What exactly would RMT do with it?


The same thing they did in FFXI with the system available there..."sell" loot runs. Only with WoW's system, it will be monumentally easier for them since they can just "trade" the Rare/Ex loot.
How is it "monumentally" easier? The only difference this thing makes is you can correct a mistake made by someone accidentally lotting rather than passing or the treasure pool automatically dropping it to someone it wasn't intended to go to. It would benefit the play base a **** of a lot more than RMT.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#12 Apr 13 2010 at 9:12 AM Rating: Default
22 posts
it's not really that big of a deal. just re-kill the monster.
#13 Apr 13 2010 at 9:14 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Ryneguy wrote:
If FFXIV adopted WoW's BoP/BoE system as well as it's tradeable BoP gear system that was created with the dungeon finder system, RMT can just perform group tasks with others in the game, roll/win gear, and then "sell" it off to someone in the group who wanted it more.
How would this situation ever come up unless you are doing this activity unknowingly with RMT? I don't know about your LS's, but I can't think of one instance where I ran an assault, dynamis, einherjar, etc with an RMT in the group.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#14 Apr 13 2010 at 9:19 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
Well, I certainly don't think RMT players come out and actively identify themselves as such. And certainly, the XxxxRMTfoolxxxX characters, while obvious, aren't the only people doing it.

You can't really assume that no one is greedy, and no one would take advantage of such a service if it were provided by a "known" RMT player regardless. I knew people in FFXI that I trusted, only to find out they did things like this, or openly sold Gil to services for cash, or some other form of this. I left the game initially primarily because of this problem. Even if you aren't the one doing it, it affects the system in some way on a server & game wide scale.
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#15 Apr 13 2010 at 9:24 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Ryneguy wrote:
Well, I certainly don't think RMT players come out and actively identify themselves as such. And certainly, the XxxxRMTfoolxxxX characters, while obvious, aren't the only people doing it.

You can't really assume that no one is greedy, and no one would take advantage of such a service if it were provided by a "known" RMT player regardless. I knew people in FFXI that I trusted, only to find out they did things like this, or openly sold Gil to services for cash, or some other form of this. I left the game initially primarily because of this problem. Even if you aren't the one doing it, it affects the system in some way on a server & game wide scale.
That's the beauty of this feature. Before you could have asshats ninja lot items they weren't supposed to and claim it was an "accident" and they'd get away with it because there was no going back. Having the ability to make the item temporarily tradable to the party or alliance, there is no built-in excuse any more. If the player refuses to give the item to the correct person, there is no denying now that they are a genuine jerk-off and you can rightfully boot them from your LS, blacklist them, ruin their reputation, etc.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#16 Apr 13 2010 at 9:29 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
Harri wrote:
That's the beauty of this feature. Before you could have asshats ninja lot items they weren't supposed to and claim it was an "accident" and they'd get away with it because there was no going back. Having the ability to make the item temporarily tradable to the party or alliance, there is no built-in excuse any more. If the player refuses to give the item to the correct person, there is no denying now that they are a genuine jerk-off and you can rightfully boot them from your LS, blacklist them, ruin their reputation, etc.


I agree with your point, but what do you think the ratio of people is that would be willing to "pay" for that item. One way or another. Currency or Cash. It's larger than you want to believe, otherwise the very companies that sell currency wouldn't be around anymore...or at least wouldn't be as rampant. I know you would refuse it, and certainly a great many would as well. But not everyone will. Some people will pay for them to trade them the item. Why? A lot of reasons. Cause they have the gil. Or they have the cash. They want the item bad enough and missed it on 10 other runs. The list of possibilities exceed the "because I have principles" answer...I assure you.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 11:30am by Ryneguy
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#17 Apr 13 2010 at 9:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Ryneguy wrote:
Harri wrote:
That's the beauty of this feature. Before you could have asshats ninja lot items they weren't supposed to and claim it was an "accident" and they'd get away with it because there was no going back. Having the ability to make the item temporarily tradable to the party or alliance, there is no built-in excuse any more. If the player refuses to give the item to the correct person, there is no denying now that they are a genuine jerk-off and you can rightfully boot them from your LS, blacklist them, ruin their reputation, etc.


I agree with your point, but what do you think the ratio of people is that would be willing to "pay" for that item. One way or another. Currency or Cash. It's larger than you want to believe, otherwise the very companies that sell currency wouldn't be around anymore...or at least wouldn't be as rampant. I know you would refuse it, and certainly a great many would as well. But not everyone will. Some people will pay for them to trade them the item. Why? A lot of reasons. Cause they have the gil. Or they have the cash. They want the item bad enough and missed it on 10 other runs. The list of possibilities exceed the "because I have principles" answer...I assure you.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 11:30am by Ryneguy
I understand the point you are trying to make, but it really has no bearing on the feature that is being discussed here. RMT will be able to do the same exact thing, with or with out it. All this feature does is let's players correct unintentional mistakes. What's the difference if an RMT group sells a rare/ex drop by letting the person lot it, or the RMT lot it and trade it?

Sure RMT could use this feature, but it isn't something that would outright benefit them.The players themselves would get a lot more use out of this than RMT ever would. You are still talking about rare/ex drops that can only be traded to party members that were part of the run. You can't simply trade it to any random player.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#18 Apr 13 2010 at 9:41 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
539 posts
Harri wrote:
Ryneguy wrote:
Well, I certainly don't think RMT players come out and actively identify themselves as such. And certainly, the XxxxRMTfoolxxxX characters, while obvious, aren't the only people doing it.

You can't really assume that no one is greedy, and no one would take advantage of such a service if it were provided by a "known" RMT player regardless. I knew people in FFXI that I trusted, only to find out they did things like this, or openly sold Gil to services for cash, or some other form of this. I left the game initially primarily because of this problem. Even if you aren't the one doing it, it affects the system in some way on a server & game wide scale.
That's the beauty of this feature. Before you could have asshats ninja lot items they weren't supposed to and claim it was an "accident" and they'd get away with it because there was no going back. Having the ability to make the item temporarily tradable to the party or alliance, there is no built-in excuse any more. If the player refuses to give the item to the correct person, there is no denying now that they are a genuine jerk-off and you can rightfully boot them from your LS, blacklist them, ruin their reputation, etc.


I think this 'ability' might open a can of drama I'd really just not like to deal with. What if you legitimately lot an item and some asshat calls in a GM and gets his friends to vouch that it was /his/ item? Now we have the open season to bicker and argue and cause a lot of "he said she said".

I honestly never had an issue with the lotting in FFXI. I ran events with friends, we respected each other and items went to their respective players. I just don't quite understand the need to open this up I guess?
____________________________


#19 Apr 13 2010 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
olaurelindorenan wrote:
Harri wrote:
Ryneguy wrote:
Well, I certainly don't think RMT players come out and actively identify themselves as such. And certainly, the XxxxRMTfoolxxxX characters, while obvious, aren't the only people doing it.

You can't really assume that no one is greedy, and no one would take advantage of such a service if it were provided by a "known" RMT player regardless. I knew people in FFXI that I trusted, only to find out they did things like this, or openly sold Gil to services for cash, or some other form of this. I left the game initially primarily because of this problem. Even if you aren't the one doing it, it affects the system in some way on a server & game wide scale.
That's the beauty of this feature. Before you could have asshats ninja lot items they weren't supposed to and claim it was an "accident" and they'd get away with it because there was no going back. Having the ability to make the item temporarily tradable to the party or alliance, there is no built-in excuse any more. If the player refuses to give the item to the correct person, there is no denying now that they are a genuine jerk-off and you can rightfully boot them from your LS, blacklist them, ruin their reputation, etc.


I think this 'ability' might open a can of drama I'd really just not like to deal with. What if you legitimately lot an item and some asshat calls in a GM and gets his friends to vouch that it was /his/ item? Now we have the open season to bicker and argue and cause a lot of "he said she said".

I honestly never had an issue with the lotting in FFXI. I ran events with friends, we respected each other and items went to their respective players. I just don't quite understand the need to open this up I guess?
I would think the GM wouldn't do a single thing. It's the person who hold's the item's option to trade or not. If the guy is a big enough douche to cry about losing a fair lot, then /blist them. From my playing experience in FFXI, it would do the exact opposite, eliminate A LOT of drama. Nothing causes bigger drama at end game then someone getting an item that someone else was supposed to get. Imagine if you put your time in with a LS and waited six months for something like a Red Mage relic hat to drop, it was your turn, then the thing actually drops and some other person lots the thing who shouldn't have? With this, at least that person could have the opportunity to correct the mistake, or at the very least they wouldn't have a veil of "it was an accident" to hide behind their outright item theft and could be dealt with in the proper manner.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#20 Apr 13 2010 at 9:52 AM Rating: Decent
*
249 posts

What on earth are you talking about? FFXI has no issues with this at all.

There are no Accidents. If your leader makes a mistake and "gives" the item to someone else you should voice your disagreement with the loot distribution in LS/Party Chat immediately. The loot pool is not distributed immediately for a reason. If you don't speak up it's your own fault.

The other 2 possible scenarios:

1. Someone accidentally lots altough he should have passed.
1.1. He is asked to pass.
1.2. Leader drops him from Party.

2. Someone accidentally passes when he is allowed to lot (His fault for beeing silly but it can happen):
2.1. Leader boots him from Party and re-invites him. He can lot.

So where is your problem? You lost an item becuase it got distributed to someone else due to a bug? I am not aware of such a bug. You did not get your item becuase you stupidly passed or someone else cast a lot? See above.

If you do KSNM/BCNM/ISNM etc. runs the one who uses Orb gets lead and quatermaster. Problem solved.

KJ
____________________________
#21 Apr 13 2010 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
KindjalFerrer wrote:

What on earth are you talking about? FFXI has no issues with this at all.

There are no Accidents. If your leader makes a mistake and "gives" the item to someone else you should voice your disagreement with the loot distribution in LS/Party Chat immediately. The loot pool is not distributed immediately for a reason. If you don't speak up it's your own fault.

The other 2 possible scenarios:

1. Someone accidentally lots altough he should have passed.
1.1. He is asked to pass.
1.2. Leader drops him from Party.

2. Someone accidentally passes when he is allowed to lot (His fault for beeing silly but it can happen):
2.1. Leader boots him from Party and re-invites him. He can lot.

So where is your problem? You lost an item becuase it got distributed to someone else due to a bug? I am not aware of such a bug. You did not get your item becuase you stupidly passed or someone else cast a lot? See above.

If you do KSNM/BCNM/ISNM etc. runs the one who uses Orb gets lead and quatermaster. Problem solved.

KJ
That's all assuming you have a competent leader who isn't AFK or DEAD. Sorry, but there are PLENTY of mistakes like this made in the game. Be glad that you've never had to deal with one. The simple fact that a player can't lot while their dead is a huge enough issue that this would be useful.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 11:00am by Harri
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#22 Apr 13 2010 at 10:16 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
Harri wrote:
I understand the point you are trying to make, but it really has no bearing on the feature that is being discussed here.


It certainly does, and it isn't just restricted to RMT. I'll tell you what, the first time someone rolls on a piece of gear they can't use simply because they can either A) Trade it to someone for Currency in the run or B) Cause drama because something isn't going their way or they have a personal issue with a certain person, it's going to become a serious issue.

The system in WoW gives too much power to the players in terms of griefing. I can run a group and loot on anything I want, whether I can use it or not. ****, in WoW, if I felt like I just wanted the 10g from that Polearm that would be a monumental upgrade for the Hunter...but I don't like his style or attitude, I could just roll it, maybe steal it...and if I "feel" like being nice, I'll let him give me 100g for it if he still wants it. I rolled it fair and square, right?

Mistakes are mistakes. The proposed system can cause more problems than it can fix very quickly. When you consider the amount of loot distribute mistakes in FFXI, and the possible amount of griefing/scamming that "could" take place in FFXI if they added this mechanic, the damage could be pretty significant.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 12:16pm by Ryneguy
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#23 Apr 13 2010 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
*
249 posts
Quote:
That's all assuming you have a competent leader who isn't AFK or DEAD. Sorry, but there are PLENTY of mistakes like this made in the game. Be glad that you've never had to deal with one. The simple fact that a player can't lot while their dead is a huge enough issue that this would be useful.


I must be lucky then since our WHM or /WHM have reraise up and in case the assigned person is dead he/she will get a raise ASAP. If leader is dead, he get's a raise too. You can raise 2 people EASY until loot pool is auto distributed, in fact a competent group can get up from a wipe and all be raised before pool drops. Even a paladin can throw a raise in situations where time is essential. I raised people on PLD/DNC while tanking a mob in Campaign for crying out loud.

I don't know what to say about the leader beeing AFK in a fight that drops essential r/e gear. That just does not make any sense. I would not start a fight with someone AFK in the first place and if people go AFK mid battle on important fights, the only thing i can say is that you are running with the wrong crowd cause that is just hillarious!

KJ

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 6:18pm by KindjalFerrer
____________________________
#24 Apr 13 2010 at 10:25 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
539 posts

Agreed on all points above about death in Dynamis and AFK leaders being absurd. In addition, the people in my Dynamis shell who were up for gear usually brought along RR items, just in case.

I also agree with Ryneguy on his points on how this ability could be abused. I hold to the opinion that this kind of system is not necessary and would possibly cause more strife than good.


(Edited - quoted the wrong post. Gosh I'm smart)

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 9:26am by olaurelindorenan
____________________________


#25 Apr 13 2010 at 11:05 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
I agree that a system like this should be water under the bridge in this day and age.

I completely disagree with the notion that such a feature would be exploited by RMT thus it should not exist. By that logic the game itself is being exploited by RMT. Should they not release the game?
#26 Apr 13 2010 at 11:07 AM Rating: Decent
14 posts
I agree this feature would make endgame items open season for RMT farming squads, even more so than is currently. Loot hangs in treasure pool for your party for what, about 5 minutes before it drops to the high lot, or random loot, provided it doesn't get lotted on or passed by every party member.

That is just 5 minutes, and I have seen this exploited ad nauseam by RMT already. For example, I used to camp King Arthro with 2 friends every single day for about 6 or so months. Two RMT parties were always there as well, every time Velocious Belt would drop for them they would spend a few minutes taking bids from the people there for the belt. They would start it at 15Mil or so, when they had a high bidder, they would invite that person, take his money and he lots the item.

Some legit endgame shells farm sky/sea/other for purposes of selling the items to paying people they have in the party. I think this is great for the people that don't have the time to get these things via normal routes, and somehow have the ability to pay the stiff prices lol. I don't fault the people doing the selling either because these are people that have gotten everything they need from said area, and just like to keep farming it, or are doing this to fund their relics or what have you. But- If you add a WoW style ra/ex 2-hour trade-able feature to the equation, this business model will become ripe for RMT exploitation, it would be too easy, wouldn't take the same level of organization. And our sky/sea/other areas might just become littered with these scum-suckers.

**** happens in looting, I don't need a pretty feature to hold my hand through every aspect of a game.
____________________________
FFXI Character: Andros
Race: Hume Male
Server: Seraph
Retired: Spring, 2009
Job Levels: PLD75, WAR75, THF75, BRD75, RDM75, BLM75, SAM75, everything else 37+

Future FFXIV Character: Astor Cei
Race: Hyur Male
-Beta, [Can I have it?]
#27 Apr 13 2010 at 11:12 AM Rating: Good
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts
Ryneguy wrote:
I prefer the system FFXI provided regarding the permanent nature for loot distribution. At this point (sigh...once again) WoW has created a numbing system that provokes no thought because the decisions can be reversed nearly indefinately.

Regarding the whining feud that's fueled by the "Zomg, that was mine...GIVE ME NOWZ" B.S. that constantly plagues WoW and loot crying, no thanks. WoW can keep their system. Sure, you could and would get scammed out of something every now and then, but usually more out of not sticking to the games social norm of working with a group of people you trust but instead getting greedy and working with someone who promised things and then didn't deliver.

FFXI had a fair, mature way of doing things. You either lotted and let the system decide, or the loot distributer was someone you, your team, and/or your guild trusted to distribute things fairly. Human error happens...I personally made mistakes distributing loot during Dynamis runs on one or two rare occassions. The result was my guild laughing it off because it's just a game, and they knew it was an accident. Unlike WoW, where a mistake would likely result in the desintegration of an entire guild.

*shrug*...just my opinion.


Let me preface this by saying that I am not a WoW-fan, and do believe that a lot of their policies and changes have in fact watered down the game. That being said, I completely disagree with you here.

Such painful bias. You're standing up for a stupid principle. Mis-clicks happen. Mis-allocations happen. If you were after an item for months, and after weeks of the item refusing to drop, despite hours of effort, it finally drops, and the party leader accidentally gives it to the person whose name is right above yours.

According to you, at this point, you should just laugh. The DRK has the shiney new staff that was supposed to be yours. That's okay with you because SE decided that all looting is final??

Human beings fail. We make errors. It happens. It has nothing to do with maturity. In WoW, you can trade the item to anyone else who was eligible to roll for it, as long as you do it (a) within 2 hours and (b) before the item has been enchanted. It's a good system. Unlike many of Blizzard's other choices, this one did not make the game EASIER, and only made the game SMOOTHER. SMOOTH is good (just like TEDIOUS is bad).

Guilds in WoW fall apart if they are greed driven - but so do LS's in FFXI. Your innate bias has made you so hate-filled that you just dismiss everything Blizzard comes up with as child's play, and continue to accept, like a peon to a god, everything SE creates at it's word.

Ryneguy wrote:


The system in WoW gives too much power to the players in terms of griefing. I can run a group and loot on anything I want, whether I can use it or not. ****, in WoW, if I felt like I just wanted the 10g from that Polearm that would be a monumental upgrade for the Hunter...but I don't like his style or attitude, I could just roll it, maybe steal it...and if I "feel" like being nice, I'll let him give me 100g for it if he still wants it. I rolled it fair and square, right?



So you're a douchebag and therefore the system is bad?

You could just as easily ninja loot something in FFXI.


Edited, Apr 13th 2010 1:14pm by Jordster
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#28 Apr 13 2010 at 11:16 AM Rating: Decent
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts
Ryneguy wrote:
Harri wrote:
That's the beauty of this feature. Before you could have asshats ninja lot items they weren't supposed to and claim it was an "accident" and they'd get away with it because there was no going back. Having the ability to make the item temporarily tradable to the party or alliance, there is no built-in excuse any more. If the player refuses to give the item to the correct person, there is no denying now that they are a genuine jerk-off and you can rightfully boot them from your LS, blacklist them, ruin their reputation, etc.


I agree with your point, but what do you think the ratio of people is that would be willing to "pay" for that item. One way or another. Currency or Cash. It's larger than you want to believe, otherwise the very companies that sell currency wouldn't be around anymore...or at least wouldn't be as rampant. I know you would refuse it, and certainly a great many would as well. But not everyone will. Some people will pay for them to trade them the item. Why? A lot of reasons. Cause they have the gil. Or they have the cash. They want the item bad enough and missed it on 10 other runs. The list of possibilities exceed the "because I have principles" answer...I assure you.


Again - moot.

There is no reason you couldn't pay a group in advance to farm an item for you.

There will always be ways around the system, for those with RL$/RMT and for those with farming addictions ... It has nothing to do with the loot system. The improved loot system in WoW just lets mistakes be fixed.
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#29 Apr 13 2010 at 11:21 AM Rating: Decent
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts
AstorCei wrote:


That is just 5 minutes, and I have seen this exploited ad nauseam by RMT already. For example, I used to camp King Arthro with 2 friends every single day for about 6 or so months. Two RMT parties were always there as well, every time Velocious Belt would drop for them they would spend a few minutes taking bids from the people there for the belt. They would start it at 15Mil or so, when they had a high bidder, they would invite that person, take his money and he lots the item.


FFXI is broken.

Quote:

Some legit endgame shells farm sky/sea/other for purposes of selling the items to paying people they have in the party. I think this is great for the people that don't have the time to get these things via normal routes, and somehow have the ability to pay the stiff prices lol. I don't fault the people doing the selling either because these are people that have gotten everything they need from said area, and just like to keep farming it, or are doing this to fund their relics or what have you. But- If you add a WoW style ra/ex 2-hour trade-able feature to the equation, this business model will become ripe for RMT exploitation, it would be too easy, wouldn't take the same level of organization. And our sky/sea/other areas might just become littered with these scum-suckers.


Ignorance... You have no idea how the feature works. Based on your own post illustrating the exploitable nature of FFXI's system, I can tell you that the WoW system is vastly superior. In WoW, you have to BE in the party/raid in order to qualify to have the item traded to you. You can't just get an uber drop, go back to a main city, and sell it off. Blizzard isn't stupid.

Quote:
sh*t happens in looting, I don't need a pretty feature to hold my hand through every aspect of a game.


Being able to fix loot mistakes is hand-holding? REALLY? Is that the best you can come up with?
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#30 Apr 13 2010 at 11:24 AM Rating: Decent
AstorCei wrote:
I agree this feature would make endgame items open season for RMT farming squads, even more so than is currently. Loot hangs in treasure pool for your party for what, about 5 minutes before it drops to the high lot, or random loot, provided it doesn't get lotted on or passed by every party member.


It doesn't have to be that way. In the example you're referencing, you can invite someone to a group that wasn't a part of the kill that put the item in the loot queue and they'll have an opportunity to lot the item. In the example others are giving from WoW, you can't receive a bind on pickup item unless you were in the group at the time the mob was killed. If a mistake was made and you want to trade that item to someone else, you can't trade it to anyone who was not in the group at the time the mob was killed. It's not a free-for-all, "head back to town and open up bids to anyone that has the gold" scenario. It was a carefully implemented system to cut down on GM resources being devoted to correcting mistakes. When you've got hundreds of realms and tens of thousands of players engaging in endgame activities every day, it made an enormous amount of sense.
#31 Apr 13 2010 at 11:34 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,155 posts
The ability to trade BoP gear in WoW was actually a really nice addition. I saw it firsthand when one member picked up a really nice 2H weapon upgrade from Ulduar only to realize it wasn't much of an upgrade for his Fury Warrior. He kept himself logged out to preserve the 20hr timer so he could trade it to a different raid member (who was still present) who would get much better use of it.

Re: Ryneguy
I don't know why you have such a hardon for this particular feature being so terrible. I also don't know if you actually played WoW or not, but I can certainly vouch from experience that this feature never led to any RMT activity whatsoever in my groups. It never happened in heroics (which many of mine were random PuGs) because the gear really wasn't that big of a deal. Heroics are a starting block, so trying to hold gear hostage is really silly - especially since you can run them an unlimited number of times with the random dungeon feature they recently added. So now you have a shot at Shiney Pants+0.5 many, many times a day if you so choose. For raids, I don't know how you could merc a raid and have it matter, tbh. Most current raids (the ones that have actual gear upgrades) require the 10 or 25 contributing, competent members.

Money is really rather worthless in WoW except for at low levels. It's nice for alts and buying BoE twink gear/enchants, and it's nice to have for continuing to enchant gear you upgrade, but there's not nearly as much emphasis on money in WoW as there is in XI. I wound up getting a new character to 80 and amassing 11k gold after buying all the skills/crafting skills/mount skills in 5-6 months, and I never really had any use for it all. It just accumulated on its own, for the most part.

I think you're blowing the idea of RMT with this kind of system way out of proportion, if it were implemented in XIV. You can just make money not matter as much as it does now, and people won't focus on RMT.
____________________________
Chanchan - Mithra - Titan Phoenix
THF
#32 Apr 13 2010 at 11:39 AM Rating: Decent
Harri wrote:
Ryneguy wrote:
If FFXIV adopted WoW's BoP/BoE system as well as it's tradeable BoP gear system that was created with the dungeon finder system, RMT can just perform group tasks with others in the game, roll/win gear, and then "sell" it off to someone in the group who wanted it more.
How would this situation ever come up unless you are doing this activity unknowingly with RMT? I don't know about your LS's, but I can't think of one instance where I ran an assault, dynamis, einherjar, etc with an RMT in the group.


i think it would be about as easy as buying gil or items in FFXI. you go to the RMT site, select your purchase and then meet in game for the transfer. it would basically be like having a merc LS get you an item for X amount of gil, except instead of using the gil to fund relics and whatnot they would turn around and sell it.
____________________________
"Cant you read the sign? No bags allowed, that includes douchebags and dirtbags"

Darrt
75 Drg (retired)
Leviathan Server
#33 Apr 13 2010 at 11:44 AM Rating: Decent
14 posts

Quote:
Ignorance... You have no idea how the feature works. Based on your own post illustrating the exploitable nature of FFXI's system, I can tell you that the WoW system is vastly superior. In WoW, you have to BE in the party/raid in order to qualify to have the item traded to you. You can't just get an uber drop, go back to a main city, and sell it off. Blizzard isn't stupid.


Yes, I wasn't aware of this and it makes the WoW looting method make alot more sense. And it does negate most of what I was thinking would make the system exploitable. I am not ignorant, maybe guilty of not studying the WoW looting system thoroughly before seeing a concern, **** I was only 1/4 the way through my first coffee of the day /grin.

I see that you are a bit defensive of WoW and that is cool, they catch alot of **** on these forums, but Jord I am not trying to bash them, no need to be up in arms. I am partial to a system that isn't so user friendly though, I think it does a good job of weeding out some immature players (not really talking about the looting feature, just ease of play in general). Square Enix isn't stupid either.

____________________________
FFXI Character: Andros
Race: Hume Male
Server: Seraph
Retired: Spring, 2009
Job Levels: PLD75, WAR75, THF75, BRD75, RDM75, BLM75, SAM75, everything else 37+

Future FFXIV Character: Astor Cei
Race: Hyur Male
-Beta, [Can I have it?]
#34 Apr 13 2010 at 11:51 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
Jordster wrote:
Such painful bias. You're standing up for a stupid principle. Mis-clicks happen. Mis-allocations happen. If you were after an item for months, and after weeks of the item refusing to drop, despite hours of effort, it finally drops, and the party leader accidentally gives it to the person whose name is right above yours.

According to you, at this point, you should just laugh. The DRK has the shiney new staff that was supposed to be yours. That's okay with you because SE decided that all looting is final??

Human beings fail. We make errors. It happens. It has nothing to do with maturity. In WoW, you can trade the item to anyone else who was eligible to roll for it, as long as you do it (a) within 2 hours and (b) before the item has been enchanted. It's a good system. Unlike many of Blizzard's other choices, this one did not make the game EASIER, and only made the game SMOOTHER. SMOOTH is good (just like TEDIOUS is bad).


The tradeable BoP system in WoW was introduced side-by-side with enhancements to the cross-server dungeon-finder system. The system works very well within that regard in that it opens tradeability of items that are mislooted in situations where you aren't even going back to the server that the other person is on. It works very well in WoW, because dungeon and instance running in WoW is all you do.

I don't deny error, I just don't discount human arrogance and greed when I think about these things. I certainly don't suggest you simply laugh it off, I'm saying the "game world environment" in FFXI is largely different than WoW. WoW is just as tedious as FFXI in the use of RNG (that's random number game, not Ranger) for loot creation & looting rolls. Regardless, our discussion means nothing other than expressing our specific preferences. The developer is going to do what they feel is best.

Jordster wrote:
So you're a douchebag and therefore the system is bad?

You could just as easily ninja loot something in FFXI.


That, specifically, wasn't my point...but thanks for inserting me into the story I used to make my point. The point I was trying to get across was that a system like that in a game with mechanics more like FFXI could result in more problems than fixes. Everyone that played FFXI accepted the looting mechanics for what they were until a year or so ago when Blizzard created their system. Now magically Blizzards is the "correct" way to do it? It is for WoW, but I don't necessarily agree that it translates into all other MMO's.

And yes, it's just as easy in FFXI...but that doesn't justify making it easier, or adding a system that could cause problems.

Jordster wrote:
There will always be ways around the system, for those with RL$/RMT and for those with farming addictions ... It has nothing to do with the loot system. The improved loot system in WoW just lets mistakes be fixed.


One who doesn't benefit from the system could argue it simply free's up GM resources because the population & difficulty of WoW had been dropped to such a level that people simply stopped paying attention to what they were doing when it came to loot distribution. There's a lot of ways to perceive this, I simply gave an example of my perception.
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#35 Apr 13 2010 at 11:53 AM Rating: Decent
Ryneguy wrote:
Harri wrote:
I understand the point you are trying to make, but it really has no bearing on the feature that is being discussed here.


It certainly does, and it isn't just restricted to RMT. I'll tell you what, the first time someone rolls on a piece of gear they can't use simply because they can either A) Trade it to someone for Currency in the run or B) Cause drama because something isn't going their way or they have a personal issue with a certain person, it's going to become a serious issue.


That's what running with friends/guild/LSwhatever mates is for. It's also what master looting/quartermastering is for. If they're ****** off at you, what's to stop them from rolling on it just so you can't get it anyways? And with all this talk about how bad WoW was for multiple characters meaning it was harder to smear the reputation of any one player all to **** for being a douchebag, you'd think that a handful of spite rolls from someone in a game where you focus on one character would be enough to have their name plastered all over the server as an enormous douchebag not worth grouping with.
#36 Apr 13 2010 at 12:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
ChanchanXI wrote:
Re: Ryneguy
I don't know why you have such a hardon for this particular feature being so terrible. I also don't know if you actually played WoW or not, but I can certainly vouch from experience that this feature never led to any RMT activity whatsoever in my groups. It never happened in heroics (which many of mine were random PuGs) because the gear really wasn't that big of a deal. Heroics are a starting block, so trying to hold gear hostage is really silly - especially since you can run them an unlimited number of times with the random dungeon feature they recently added. So now you have a shot at Shiney Pants+0.5 many, many times a day if you so choose. For raids, I don't know how you could merc a raid and have it matter, tbh. Most current raids (the ones that have actual gear upgrades) require the 10 or 25 contributing, competent members.


I never said it was terrible. I said I didn't think it would work with FFXIV (or FFXI) the way it worked for WoW.

ChanchanXI wrote:
Money is really rather worthless in WoW except for at low levels. It's nice for alts and buying BoE twink gear/enchants, and it's nice to have for continuing to enchant gear you upgrade, but there's not nearly as much emphasis on money in WoW as there is in XI. I wound up getting a new character to 80 and amassing 11k gold after buying all the skills/crafting skills/mount skills in 5-6 months, and I never really had any use for it all. It just accumulated on its own, for the most part.


Your example here kind of supports my point. FFXI and WoW's currency models are monumentally different, in that within FFXI it would be "beneficial" for someone to scam/rage over 1,000,000 Gil were in WoW, it's currency equivalent (maybe 1,000 Gold?) is nothing. ****, 10,000 Gold is nothing...I amassed absurd wealth on my Druid over the 4 years I played WoW.

ChanchanXI wrote:
I think you're blowing the idea of RMT with this kind of system way out of proportion, if it were implemented in XIV. You can just make money not matter as much as it does now, and people won't focus on RMT.


I think a lot of people responding in this thread are focusing on RMT when I'm not and have specified that I'm concerned with typical player behavior and griefing as well.

AureliusSir wrote:
That's what running with friends/guild/LSwhatever mates is for. It's also what master looting/quartermastering is for. If they're ****** off at you, what's to stop them from rolling on it just so you can't get it anyways? And with all this talk about how bad WoW was for multiple characters meaning it was harder to smear the reputation of any one player all to **** for being a douchebag, you'd think that a handful of spite rolls from someone in a game where you focus on one character would be enough to have their name plastered all over the server as an enormous douchebag not worth grouping with.


And I prefer not to be closed off to only my friends & guild/LS/Whatever-it's-called...I would like to see a more open community, the way FFXI was through much of it's first 4-5 years. And I certainly hope it's enough, but that doesn't negate people from doing it.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 2:06pm by Ryneguy
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#37 Apr 13 2010 at 12:07 PM Rating: Decent
Ryneguy wrote:
I never said it was terrible. I said I didn't think it would work with FFXIV (or FFXI) the way it worked for WoW.


Well, we're not here to talk about FFXI and FFXIV is shaping up to be a lot closer to WoW in terms of bound gear and casual appeal, so stuff the angst, would ya?

ChanchanXI wrote:
Your example here kind of supports my point. FFXI and WoW's currency models are monumentally different, in that within FFXI it would be "beneficial" for someone to scam/rage over 1,000,000 Gil were in WoW, it's currency equivalent (maybe 1,000 Gold?) is nothing. ****, 10,000 Gold is nothing...I amassed absurd wealth on my Druid over the 4 years I played WoW.


Sounds to me like you're comparing bound gear to gear you can sell. If I'm going to jack BoP gear I can't even use just to be a jerk, the end reward is the vendor sale value and the enormous satisfaction to be had in earning a reputation as a ninja twerp. You're uninformed and biased. Please just stop.

Quote:
And I prefer not to be closed off to only my friends & guild/LS/Whatever-it's-called...I would like to see a more open community, the way FFXI was through much of it's first 4-5 years. And I certainly hope it's enough, but that doesn't negate people from doing it.


If you're running content that has a chance to drop something you really want and you put yourself in the hands of a PUG in the hopes they're going to play nice and not ***** you over, you're naive. For day-to-day shenanigans, PUG away...for high value content, not only are you less likely to get screwed in a group that you're familiar with, I would hope that high value is nearly synonymous with above average challenge, in which case taking your chances with a PUG just to down the content would be a bad idea, much less worrying about loot.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 11:10am by AureliusSir
#38 Apr 13 2010 at 12:20 PM Rating: Decent
**
423 posts
Quote:
Yes, I wasn't aware of this and it makes the WoW looting method make alot more sense. And it does negate most of what I was thinking would make the system exploitable. I am not ignorant, maybe guilty of not studying the WoW looting system thoroughly before seeing a concern, **** I was only 1/4 the way through my first coffee of the day /grin.

I see that you are a bit defensive of WoW and that is cool, they catch alot of **** on these forums, but Jord I am not trying to bash them, no need to be up in arms. I am partial to a system that isn't so user friendly though, I think it does a good job of weeding out some immature players (not really talking about the looting feature, just ease of play in general). Square Enix isn't stupid either.


haha, too funny.

He pointed out the fact you were wrong. You never even looked at what WoW's system was but claimed to know it and denounce it as bad. Then you go on about how it will ruin FFXIV if it's applied even though... once again, you have no idea how it works. Also a basic overview of the WoW looting system would have let you know this, or even if you took the time to look before typing you would have known.

I am curious, since when did a looting system being difficult eliminate immature players? How do the 2 even register? I have met immature people in both WoW and FFXI, how does the loot system or "ease of play" even compute let alone matter. I do remember the type of people you socialize with and choose to pug with matter a lot. In FFXI there were less immature players simply because it was a much more serious game, the loot system had nothing to do with it. Some people ninja'd others did not. When you have one character name you have no anonymity on your server. You ruin your rep and people know for quite awhile. Once again, nothing to do at all with the loot system or how easy it was to play.

Lastly i am not trying to discourage your opinion or ask you to stop posting but seriously, read what you post and ask yourself if it makes sense...

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 12:23pm by boriss

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 12:24pm by boriss
#39 Apr 13 2010 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
AstorCei wrote:
**** I was only 1/4 the way through my first coffee of the day /grin.


All is forgiven. Smiley: sly
#40 Apr 13 2010 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
AureliusSir wrote:
Well, we're not here to talk about FFXI and FFXIV is shaping up to be a lot closer to WoW in terms of bound gear and casual appeal, so stuff the angst, would ya?


I'm not going to make that assumption until I play the game. And I thought my responses thus far have been fairly neutral and "non" angsty. Hmm... Smiley: oyvey

AureliusSir wrote:
Sounds to me like you're comparing bound gear to gear you can sell. If I'm going to jack BoP gear I can't even use just to be a jerk, the end reward is the vendor sale value and the enormous satisfaction to be had in earning a reputation as a ninja twerp. You're uninformed and biased. Please just stop.


You're misinterpreting my point, so I'll stop reiterating it.

AureliusSir wrote:
If you're running content that has a chance to drop something you really want and you put yourself in the hands of a PUG in the hopes they're going to play nice and not ***** you over, you're naive. For day-to-day shenanigans, PUG away...for high value content, not only are you less likely to get screwed in a group that you're familiar with, I would hope that high value is nearly synonymous with above average challenge, in which case taking your chances with a PUG just to down the content would be a bad idea, much less worrying about loot.


Not naive, just hopeful for a MMO that isn't filled with arrogant asshats like WoW currently is. I don't need another WoW clone, there's plenty of those to choose from. And while I retain my above statement in regards to not judging an unfinished product, I simply prefer to hope that Square-Enix devs are very careful with what elements they decide to mimic from other MMO's. Thanks for the discussion. ^_^;
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#41 Apr 13 2010 at 12:33 PM Rating: Decent
Plays better than you
*****
11,852 posts
Ryneguy wrote:


Not naive, just hopeful for a MMO that isn't filled with arrogant asshats like WoW currently is. I don't need another WoW clone, there's plenty of those to choose from. And while I retain my above statement in regards to not judging an unfinished product, I simply prefer to hope that Square-Enix devs are very careful with what elements they decide to mimic from other MMO's. Thanks for the discussion. ^_^;


WoW isn't full of asshats. They are just the most vocal.

There are great people and asshats on both sides of the fence. Not realizing this is incredibly naive. If you really don't think FFXI has it's fair share, look more carefully. They are there. There is just no global trade channel where they can freely spread their asshattery.
____________________________
Trubbles Stormborn - 25 ARC / 22 CNJ ... 18 FSH / 14 CUL

#42 Apr 13 2010 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
Ryneguy wrote:
AureliusSir wrote:
Sounds to me like you're comparing bound gear to gear you can sell. If I'm going to jack BoP gear I can't even use just to be a jerk, the end reward is the vendor sale value and the enormous satisfaction to be had in earning a reputation as a ninja twerp. You're uninformed and biased. Please just stop.


You're misinterpreting my point, so I'll stop reiterating it.


I don't think I'm misinterpreting it. I think you're trying to hard to take a bad point and make it a good one.

Quote:
Not naive, just hopeful for a MMO that isn't filled with arrogant asshats like WoW currently is. I don't need another WoW clone, there's plenty of those to choose from. And while I retain my above statement in regards to not judging an unfinished product, I simply prefer to hope that Square-Enix devs are very careful with what elements they decide to mimic from other MMO's. Thanks for the discussion. ^_^;


If you think the FFXIV community is going to be any different from any other MMO, you're naive. The FFXI community was what it was because it arrived on the scene before MMOs went mainstream and because when MMOs did garner mass appeal, FFXI did not appeal to those masses because of its hardcore nature. FFXIV will not have that exclusively hardcore appeal.
#43 Apr 13 2010 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Look, I'm no Wow fan. I played it a little bit, got a character to 80 then was bored pretty quickly. Didn't enjoy it nearly as much as FFXI. However, this was one feature that I thought to myself would have been REALLY nice to have in FFXI because I could remember at least a dozen or so times that it would have been helpful. It's no more exploitable than an RMT group mercing something out as they do the current way. The person has to be a part of the group during the run and during the kill in order for it to be traded to them. You can't get a rare/ex drop then simply go to town and try and sell it to the highest bidder. The only use for this to RMT would be to people who have prearranged to be part of their killing group which is no different than the way it is now. It changes nothing in regards to RMT, but gives the players yet another tool to make sure loot gets distributed properly and force ninja lotters to admit exactly what they are.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#44 Apr 13 2010 at 12:55 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
Jordster wrote:
WoW isn't full of asshats. They are just the most vocal.

There are great people and asshats on both sides of the fence. Not realizing this is incredibly naive. If you really don't think FFXI has it's fair share, look more carefully. They are there. There is just no global trade channel where they can freely spread their asshattery.


I'm well aware of this, and it's one of the primary reasons I left FFXI when I did (as I stated previously).

AureliusSir wrote:
I don't think I'm misinterpreting it. I think you're trying to hard to take a bad point and make it a good one.


I really didn't think there was any bad points when discussing the conditions & mechanics surrounding a game currently in Alpha that was slapped with a 50% completion tag a month and a half ago during dev interviews. I felt discussion was related to personal preference and perception (which I stated very early in this thread), which you have made absolutely clear that you do not agree with this, and you feel there is a right way and a wrong way...and mine is the wrong way.

AureliusSir wrote:
If you think the FFXIV community is going to be any different from any other MMO, you're naive. The FFXI community was what it was because it arrived on the scene before MMOs went mainstream and because when MMOs did garner mass appeal, FFXI did not appeal to those masses because of its hardcore nature. FFXIV will not have that exclusively hardcore appeal.


Clearly I'm naive and I should just immediately sit content with the fact that FFXIV will be just like WoW in every aspect & mechanic. Whatever truth there is in that assumption (which will not be determined until the game goes live), I'll take my chances more so with a Final Fantasy MMO title than any other.
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#45 Apr 13 2010 at 1:29 PM Rating: Decent
Ryneguy wrote:
Clearly I'm naive and I should just immediately sit content with the fact that FFXIV will be just like WoW in every aspect & mechanic. Whatever truth there is in that assumption (which will not be determined until the game goes live), I'll take my chances more so with a Final Fantasy MMO title than any other.


No, but your arguments would carry a lot more credibility if you'd quit the lame QQ about how advocating one concept found in WoW instantly means there's desire or intent to see the entire game "be just like WoW in every aspect & mechanic." Evaluate the points on their own merit without the bias and you might have something to work with.
#46 Apr 13 2010 at 3:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
AureliusSir wrote:
No, but your arguments would carry a lot more credibility if you'd quit the lame QQ about how advocating one concept found in WoW instantly means there's desire or intent to see the entire game "be just like WoW in every aspect & mechanic." Evaluate the points on their own merit without the bias and you might have something to work with.


I thought I was pretty clear about this so called "argument":

Ryneguy wrote:
...just my opinion.


Yep, was clear in my first reply. As for this "lame QQ", I really don't see where you're coming from or going other than that you're dead set on proving yourself to be right and the last word on things here. I respect your opinion, just like I've respectfully replied to others discussing the mechanics in this thread. I'll let you have the last word in your reply telling me I'm "QQing moar" and be on my way. Toodles...
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#47 Apr 13 2010 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
867 posts
I think either way Xi-way or WoW-way RMT/Greedies still going to find a way to exploit it, even if it means getting claim and waiting for an offer before a kill.

As for Dynamis I can understand how items can get lost or go to wrong person, but I only see this as a threat as time runs out, which many have wanted a "Lobby" area to finish distribution similar to Limbus.

Either way I've had no problems with Xi treasure pool and WoW system isn't bade neither. I just think possibly incorporate something new or make something existing better.

Maybe make 2 treasure pools even tho it will still be listed as 1. Treasure pool A is all normal drops, as Treasure pool B is anything Exc or Binding. TP:A is distrubuted similar to Xi where it will fall to random player after alotted time. TP:B however has no timer and remains in the pool until all players have lotted/passed. Timed areas that kick you out need some sort of "Lobby" area where distribution can be completed if neccesary. Tho I kno this makes it even more so for RMT to sell items by inviting anyone into their party, but this gives everyone in party a chance to get what is theirs and weed out the ninja lotters. If someone is gonna ninja they're gonna ninja. Even with this system RMT gonna try at it, unless they had it where if someone new is added to party all items in the pools will become lost and it'll give warning upon invite.

I'm sorry Xi and WoW both hve good systems in their own ways but accidental distribution shouldn't be an issue since most cases are not accidents (there are few occasions). Sorry but it just defeats the purpose of something being considered Exclusive or Bound if it can be traded, even if they were in the fight. The example used above somewhere about player getting an item and then realizing it wasn't as good as they thought and giving it to another player later that was in battle sounds good in nature and all, but doesn't sound the way the system was intended to be used.
____________________________
Asyrian - 90 Drg/Mnk
Reisaki - 90 Blu/Dnc/Pup/Rdm
Majoga - 90 Pld/Nin
Belisi - 90 Sch/Cor/Whm


#48 Apr 13 2010 at 3:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
wot?

what's wrong with ffxi's system of loot distribution?

Change it so that it's the exact same except only people present in the party at the time of the kill are allowed to lot for the item?

Seems rather simple to me.

On a side note, Certain games like Aion also have the option where if something rare pops up, it automatically goes up for a roll for everyone, going so far as to pop up in a separate window. Although this definitely allows for people to ninja items easier, the idea that rare/ex items would pop up in a separate window telling you it had been dropped would be interesting.

Edited, Apr 13th 2010 5:50pm by MetalSmith
#49 Apr 13 2010 at 4:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
867 posts
Also could add more verifications similar to AH. Like currently in Xi you select item in pool and you either choose to lot or pass, that's it. Now say with a verification on it, you select item and choose lot or pass, then under each a pop up asks if you are sure this is the action you wish with "No" highlighted, then just press over to Yes and then you execute the lot/pass. Tho it may slightly protect from accidental lotting and is not 100% its better than current system. And as I stated before, if someone is gonna ninja they're gonna ninja, and this would make it appear less accidental.
____________________________
Asyrian - 90 Drg/Mnk
Reisaki - 90 Blu/Dnc/Pup/Rdm
Majoga - 90 Pld/Nin
Belisi - 90 Sch/Cor/Whm


#50 Apr 13 2010 at 5:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
133 posts
Personally I believe there will be a LOT more rare/ex items in XIV so a system like that would definitely be nice. Mistakes happen and I don't want to have anyone in my partys pay for it because something went wrong.
____________________________
Now Go,
Stand up to a giant!
Said that I'm a fighter.
Too drunk to remember.
Too drunk to..
#51 Apr 13 2010 at 6:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
Personally, i hope that mistakes like that will not be so detrimental that making it would ruin you for a week or 2.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)