Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
This Forum is Read Only

Marriage Equality in Eorzea?Follow

#1 Apr 20 2010 at 3:28 PM Rating: Good
*
57 posts
I don't know how to post this without risking starting a "thing" about marriage equality. I just really want to put my 2c in for marriage ceremonies in FFXIV (assuming they have them).

I'm a ******* IRL and one thing that burned me a little was that same-gender marriage was not possible in FFXI (at least not if you wanted an official marriage). I hope if they do have official marriages in FFXIV that they are willing to consider allowing same-gender marriages as well.

It won't stop me from enjoying the game if they don't but if any of you are on alpha/beta and agree with me then I hope you will send the suggestion in as feedback.
#2 Apr 20 2010 at 3:32 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,614 posts
I look forward to another seven years of raging arguments about this. Maybe they'll drop the marriage thing altogether this time, because they really can't win.
#3 Apr 20 2010 at 3:35 PM Rating: Excellent
**
845 posts
I'll probly get flamed for this because "just because I think something is silly doesnt mean others dont take it serious" but anyways, i always thought in game marriage was kinda over the top. But then again I was never much of an RP'er and I do respect everyones right to RP if they enjoy it.
____________________________

#4 Apr 20 2010 at 3:45 PM Rating: Excellent
*
57 posts
Eeek! I never knew that it was fought over on FFXI. But I guess that makes sense. I should dig up those threads and have a read. I'm an RP geek so I think it's fun to have special events like that within a guild/linkshell. It really adds to the immersion of the game for me. Hopefully, they will just not have something official. Other games leave RP events up to the players, so FFXIV could too.
#5 Apr 20 2010 at 4:46 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
630 posts
I honestly think if they used a different name for in game marriage, say "Love Ties", that no-one would care if same *** were allowed. Either way I have no invested interest.
#6 Apr 20 2010 at 5:18 PM Rating: Good
*
223 posts
I think it should be allowed if only for the simple fact that there are plenty of married couples in real life who play same-gender characters, such a mithras. You can't really argue against something along those lines so they should just use that as the excuse and implement same-gender marriage ingame. Problem solved.
#7 Apr 20 2010 at 5:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
204 posts
Or eliminate marriage all together. Problem Solved.

I don't see the point of in game marriage, you gain nothing beyond some rings. I'm not 100% sure but i think it cost money to get married in XI.

If married couples got some sort of bonus in the game when they partied together or something then I could see a reason for it. Otherwise meh
#8 Apr 20 2010 at 5:36 PM Rating: Excellent
*
223 posts
aurormnk wrote:
Or eliminate marriage all together. Problem Solved.

I don't see the point of in game marriage, you gain nothing beyond some rings. I'm not 100% sure but i think it cost money to get married in XI.

If married couples got some sort of bonus in the game when they partied together or something then I could see a reason for it. Otherwise meh


I'm just going to guess you didn't read the entire thread and go ahead and answer your question. :)

There are many "points" to ingame marriage for many people who play RPG's, especially MMO RPG's. It is a part of role-playing for them. Also, people who are married in real life find it a special little extra for themselves. I personally don't have a particular interest in getting married ingame without being married irl, but I'm certainly not going to judge others. We all want our own little personal desires being included in the game to some degree. Maybe it would be a good idea to suggest that being married gives some sort of bonus as well instead of taking it away altogether.
#9 Apr 20 2010 at 5:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
204 posts
Quote:
There are many "points" to ingame marriage for many people who play RPG's, especially MMO RPG's. It is a part of role-playing for them. Also, people who are married in real life find it a special little extra for themselves. I personally don't have a particular interest in getting married ingame without being married irl, but I'm certainly not going to judge others. We all want our own little personal desires being included in the game to some degree. Maybe it would be a good idea to suggest that being married gives some sort of bonus as well instead of taking it away altogether


I understand the reasons ppl want to get married, I didn't judge anyone for it. I had friends in XI who were married. Like you I don't wan't to get in game married. But for the same reason they get flack for having only different *** marriages they would get flack for same *** marriages. It's a valid complaint that ppl who wan't to marry the same *** can't, they are offended. But the ppl who don't believe in same *** marriages will also be offended if SE does implement it. No one has said anything yet in this post about being against homosexual marriage but those ppl are out there.

I understand the role play but who is to say that same *** marriage isn't banned in Eorzea? Just because it's not our real world doesn't mean it's your fantasy world w/ the restrictions that only you choose to place on it.
#10 Apr 20 2010 at 5:57 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
aurormnk wrote:
Quote:
There are many "points" to ingame marriage for many people who play RPG's, especially MMO RPG's. It is a part of role-playing for them. Also, people who are married in real life find it a special little extra for themselves. I personally don't have a particular interest in getting married ingame without being married irl, but I'm certainly not going to judge others. We all want our own little personal desires being included in the game to some degree. Maybe it would be a good idea to suggest that being married gives some sort of bonus as well instead of taking it away altogether


I understand the reasons ppl want to get married, I didn't judge anyone for it. I had friends in XI who were married. Like you I don't wan't to get in game married. But for the same reason they get flack for having only different *** marriages they would get flack for same *** marriages. It's a valid complaint that ppl who wan't to marry the same *** can't, they are offended. But the ppl who don't believe in same *** marriages will also be offended if SE does implement it. No one has said anything yet in this post about being against homosexual marriage but those ppl are out there.

I understand the role play but who is to say that same *** marriage isn't banned in Eorzea? Just because it's not our real world doesn't mean it's your fantasy world w/ the restrictions that only you choose to place on it.


People offended with same *** marriages (whether in-game or not) are morons. They "hate" it because some stupid book told them to hate it, because this book magically came up with the idea and marriage can ONLY be between a man and a woman since the book said so.

*snort*

Marriage existed thousands of years before religion smeared its disgusting fecal matter all over the word and tried to claim it as its own.
#11 Apr 20 2010 at 6:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
204 posts
Quote:
People offended with same *** marriages (whether in-game or not) are morons. They "hate" it because some stupid book told them to hate it, because this book magically came up with the idea and marriage can ONLY be between a man and a woman since the book said so.

*snort*

Marriage existed thousands of years before religion smeared its disgusting fecal matter all over the word and tried to claim it as its own.


...wow. That's a very close-minded view of things

Edited, Apr 20th 2010 8:04pm by aurormnk
#12 Apr 20 2010 at 6:09 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,353 posts
Quote:

Marriage existed thousands of years before religion smeared its disgusting fecal matter all over the word and tried to claim it as its own.
Pretty sure that's not true. Marriage has existed independently of religion (and supposedly does today), but religion has been around for as long as there has been someone clever enough to make one up.
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#13 Apr 20 2010 at 6:10 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
121 posts
OP, if you wanna see an argument for same *** marriage (or relationships in general), wander over the the Bioware forums. Any game in which you are able to pursue a same gender NPC story arc has had people arguing for and against the issue. Ad nauseum. The SW:ToR forums most recently dealt with it and it went on for like four or more threads (the mods of the forums shut them down and start a new thread when they get too long).

However, as much as I'm indifferent to the issue as I'm not much of an RP'er (though I do support having the option), I don't see it happening. Japanese society is not particularly progressive when it comes to these kinds of issues and being that the company is Japanese, I imagine they will adhere to their own cultural standards before considering the rest of the world.
#14 Apr 20 2010 at 6:11 PM Rating: Good
*
57 posts
Quote:
I understand the role play but who is to say that same *** marriage isn't banned in Eorzea? Just because it's not our real world doesn't mean it's your fantasy world w/ the restrictions that only you choose to place on it.


Actually that is something that I could get into. I don't know why but it's just less irritating when I think of it as a limitation of a game world and not the RL bias of a community of developers. I used to play a lot of table top D&D and some of the best things about that game were dealing with some of the harsh and unfair rules and customs that the DM created.
#15 Apr 20 2010 at 6:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
350 posts
I think it should be allowed, but only for Hyur Highlanders and Miqo'te.

Highlanders because they are big beefy guys and a male only race. Seriously, they are in "remote, northern highlands" all the time by themselves with no women around, what else are the gonna do?

Miqo'te because everyone likes to see cat-girl on cat-girl action. Also, they don't have any males around, so they gotta figure out a way to fulfill their needs.
#16 Apr 20 2010 at 6:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
597 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:
People offended with same *** marriages (whether in-game or not) are morons. They "hate" it because some stupid book told them to hate it, because this book magically came up with the idea and marriage can ONLY be between a man and a woman since the book said so.


I don't see how this "book" has any relevance to this discussion, especially since the game is being developed by the Japanese, who have read very different "books" than we have for the last couple of millenia.
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#17 Apr 20 2010 at 6:20 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,072 posts
There's a bit of a snag when clinging to the RPer's view of allowing same-*** marriages. If the game world portrays no examples of the behavior (can't really include implication, as it's basically speculation), then it's possible it doesn't exist. In turn, the players violate theme by trying to force it akin to people wanting cel phones in medieval settings or something. Moreover, if it is present, IC culture may be more draconian about keeping such "abnormalities" out of the limelight. Unfortunately, you'll probably never see it mainstream as marketing will be going for Teens along with the adult crowd, but concerned and ignorant parents will get uppity over pixels pimping the homosexual agenda.

Overall, it's a kind of pining for a freedom that won't change anything within the game world. Players don't need some kind of coded system to reaffirm their love for one another, and it's very rare other players give a **** unless you do nothing but talk annoyingly about your partner like you're any more special than any other person in the world with a(n) (e-)boyfriend/girlfriend. If you care for them, feel free to show them on your own terms (which could include personally organized weddings at the location of your choice with close friends). That said, I'd side with marriage systems not being present at all. This is an MMO, not a Dating Sim.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#18 Apr 20 2010 at 6:27 PM Rating: Good
*
84 posts
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
People offended with same *** marriages (whether in-game or not) are morons. They "hate" it because some stupid book told them to hate it, because this book magically came up with the idea and marriage can ONLY be between a man and a woman since the book said so.

*snort*

Marriage existed thousands of years before religion smeared its disgusting fecal matter all over the word and tried to claim it as its own.



...wow. That's a very close-minded view of things


It's closed-minded, because people like me and him are getting really, really sick of the stupidity that happens in the people who protest it.

That said, I have this policy: If you're bi or homosexual, keep it out of my back yard. Other than that, I have no problems with it. People who think that it's a "good idea" to prevent homosexual relationships are the ones who are closed-minded and unwilling to see the fact that there will always be this kind of diversity in the world. Always.

It is impossible to erase, period. It's time people learned to accept that there will always be differences in others.

Even Hitler couldn't stamp out homosexuality among the S.A. (the predecessor to the S.S.), and flipped out when he caught the S.A. leader's top lieutenants in bed together during the Night of the Long Knives.
#19 Apr 20 2010 at 6:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
204 posts
Quote:
It's closed-minded, because people like me and him are getting really, really sick of the stupidity that happens in the people who protest it.

That said, I have this policy: If you're bi or homosexual, keep it out of my back yard. Other than that, I have no problems with it. People who think that it's a "good idea" to prevent homosexual relationships are the ones who are closed-minded and unwilling to see the fact that there will always be this kind of diversity in the world. Always.

It is impossible to erase, period. It's time people learned to accept that there will always be differences in others.

Even Hitler couldn't stamp out homosexuality among the S.A. (the predecessor to the S.S.), and flipped out when he caught the S.A. leader's top lieutenants in bed together during the Night of the Long Knives.


So your promoting acceptance by rejection? The majority of ppl who are against same *** marriages keep it to themselves. It's a minority that you see protesting. Christianity is the largest religion in the world. If even a 100th of the Christians spoke out and protested about *** marriage you would be hearing a whole lot more protests. And that is only one of the religions that is against it, not to mention ppl who are not part of any religion but do not believe in same *** marriages.

What do you mean keep it out of your backyard? Are you referring to conversations? Or the news? Because there are just as many *** rights protests going on as there are protests against it. Or maybe you meant your **** when you said backyard.

Edited, Apr 20th 2010 8:36pm by aurormnk
#20 Apr 20 2010 at 6:45 PM Rating: Decent
*
84 posts
Try to take the "backyard" phrase a little more literally and you might see what I mean.

And it's the protesters you call the "minority" that are part of the problem. They keep trying to force a view into practice on others that are not generally accepted by the majority. I am tired of that. Religion has no place in policy or human choices (except for picking a religion).

Essentially, I am against the very idea of people thinking that THEY are in the right and attempting to force it on others without hearing and accepting the other side's perspective. I am a centrist, not a liberal or a conservative. Reaching a middle ground solution is my rule.

If one side wants "X", another side wants "Y", I say this: "STFU and settle for "Z", 'cause you two ain't gonna budge."
#21 Apr 20 2010 at 6:46 PM Rating: Good
*
57 posts
Quote:
There's a bit of a snag when clinging to the RPer's view of allowing same-*** marriages. If the game world portrays no examples of the behavior (can't really include implication, as it's basically speculation), then it's possible it doesn't exist. In turn, the players violate theme by trying to force it akin to people wanting cel phones in medieval settings or something.


That's a really good point. I mentioned earlier that when I look at this as a limitation of a game world then it's not so irritating. It's just another part of the game that I can use for RP fodder. I would not want to, as you say, bring cell phones into a medieval MMO no matter how much I like them. And of course nothing is stopping an RP-oriented linkshell from gathering together and forming their own events and ceremonies.

I really enjoy the fluff just as much as I enjoy the game mechanics. I get that those things do not appeal to or make sense to a lot of people. Holiday events, RP events, in-game friendships and relationships (especially when they cross over into real life), background music, scenery, changes in weather, character housing, etc... all of those aspects of an MMO really add something to a game for me especially when the game mechanics behind all of the conflict resolution are solid. Games that only have social aspects are boring to me (I guess something like Second Life would be an example of that).

Anyway, if they have official marriages, and if they allow same gender marriage then I will be geeked about it. If not, I will look at it as some of you suggested, not as a real life limitation, but as a limitation of a game world.




#22 Apr 20 2010 at 9:13 PM Rating: Decent
**
736 posts
Quote:
There's a bit of a snag when clinging to the RPer's view of allowing same-*** marriages. If the game world portrays no examples of the behavior (can't really include implication, as it's basically speculation), then it's possible it doesn't exist.


In your average MMO there's no specific evidence of ***, either. But the very act of getting offended over same-*** relationships in an MMO works off the assumption that relationships in that universe require intimacy and intercourse as opposed to some kind of immaculate conception.

The stork could deliver them for all we know.

You really can't ask people to take the social atmosphere of MMOs at face value. When you really get down to it a horde of homeless, dreamless, sometimes nameless pixels regurgitating dialogue for years on end does not immersion make. It's far too appealing for us to craft a grand illusion by filling in the holes with assumptions based on our experiences in reality.


Edited, Apr 20th 2010 11:19pm by Zemzelette
#23 Apr 20 2010 at 9:45 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
I have a feeling this thread is going to be locked considering it's already turning into a debate on the same-*** marriage politics.

Most conversations regarding charged topics such as this one are pointless as you have two sides who won't budge both seeing themselves as the moral superior and all it does is create animosity between the two in such a way that instead of hating each other's point of view they start hating each other..which is dangerous.
#24 Apr 20 2010 at 10:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
703 posts
aurormnk wrote:
So your promoting acceptance by rejection? The majority of ppl who are against same *** marriages keep it to themselves. It's a minority that you see protesting. Christianity is the largest religion in the world. If even a 100th of the Christians spoke out and protested about *** marriage you would be hearing a whole lot more protests. And that is only one of the religions that is against it, not to mention ppl who are not part of any religion but do not believe in same *** marriages.

What do you mean keep it out of your backyard? Are you referring to conversations? Or the news? Because there are just as many *** rights protests going on as there are protests against it. Or maybe you meant your **** when you said backyard.

Edited, Apr 20th 2010 8:36pm by aurormnk


Isn't that what Prop 8 was? And with the population of California...

Anywho, on topic, I feel that the marriage option of FFXI was a wonderful addition, yet it brings all the flaws inherent with it. In FFXIV, I'm more inclined towards not including an official marriage option but simply a role-playing aspect. It took up time and money from GMs, even if they were especially hired for such a position.

Edited, Apr 20th 2010 9:34pm by Deila
#25 Apr 20 2010 at 10:36 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
89 posts
On the actually topic at hand, I agree that in-game marriages offered by SE really don't serve much of a point. All the benefits (ring, dress, social event) can all happen without SE's involvement. That and they wouldn't have to hire GMs just for that service :P

And from my experiences it took months and months to get a time reserved for in-game weddings. The service wasn't all that great and if SE can't provide outstanding customer service in that department I think it would be less frustrating for them and for us to just make a vendor that sells the rings and outfits and let the players handle it.

Now onto a side point...

Quote:
People offended with same *** marriages (whether in-game or not) are morons. They "hate" it because some stupid book told them to hate it, because this book magically came up with the idea and marriage can ONLY be between a man and a woman since the book said so.

*snort*

Marriage existed thousands of years before religion smeared its disgusting fecal matter all over the word and tried to claim it as its own.


I assume this book you're talking about is the Bible. Yes, it is against homosexuality 1 Corinthians 6:9,10 says "Men who lie with men...will not inherit God's Kingdom." Be upset about it if you want, but the Bible also tells us a few other things. Like "So, then, each of us will render an account for himself to God" (Romans 14:12). So if someone does something God dislikes, in the end it's between him and God, not the rest of us.

If you're upset at people rioting in the streets against *** marriage and using the Bible as their excuse, I understand, but the Bible says to "Continue to love your enemies" (Matthew 5:44) not to riot against them. So be upset at the people, not at the Bible. The Bible condemns things, yes, but it also condemns us taking vengeance and judgment into our own hands. That's God's turf.

Yay for my thread derails!
____________________________
He who has injured thee was either stronger or weaker than thee. If weaker, spare him; if stronger, spare thyself.
-William Shakespeare
#26 Apr 20 2010 at 10:39 PM Rating: Good
*
147 posts
I agree with most in hoping there isn't an official "marriage" in game. However if there is, it should be open to anyone regardless of gender. Someone commented that there are people who would be offended by a same *** marriage? I suppose I don't understand how that can interfere in anyone's gaming experience. It does not say that if my female character marries another female character, you cannot. It just says I am allowed, much the same way you would be allowed to marry whichever character you chose.

Another poster made the point of maybe that just isn't a part of the game world and compared it to bringing in cell phones. I do understand the point, but I think there should be no reason for it not to be. Cell phones its pretty obvious they don't belong, but that isn't a reflection of anyone's personal belief, it is just common sense.

TL:DR - Don't have marriage in game. If you do, open it to anyone.

Serena
#27 Apr 20 2010 at 11:09 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
The Bible condemns things, yes, but it also condemns us taking vengeance and judgment into our own hands. That's God's turf.


How's that been working out, by the way? Over the course of, oh let's say, history?

Yes, that's a rhetorical question. Just trying to say that when it comes to religious/morality debates, 99.9% of the time people as a whole are not able to keep a cool head about it. It just doesn't happen.
#28 Apr 20 2010 at 11:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
As long as my partner can get health insurance (i.e. Cure), and I can see him/her in the hospital er... I'm ok with it.
#29 Apr 20 2010 at 11:23 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,159 posts
My personal opinion is we're berated enough on the topic everywhere else we go...I'd rather they not have any sort of "marriage" or anything like it just so the topic doesn't come up.
#30 Apr 20 2010 at 11:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
597 posts
Quote:
In your average MMO there's no specific evidence of ***, either.


There's no specific evidence that they go to the bathroom either. Or eat. Or bathe. These are all things I assume would occur if the world wasn't fictitious and built on game logic.

Quote:
But the very act of getting offended over same-*** relationships in an MMO works off the assumption that relationships in that universe require intimacy and intercourse as opposed to some kind of immaculate conception.


I'd say it works off of the assumption that it's a setting that seems to be based on medieval Europe, and I can't imagine 10th-century England being more kind to homosexuals than in the 21st-century.

Quote:
The stork could deliver them for all we know.


Depends on what the writer intended. I'm assuming that they added couples and children and such to the setting because the people of that world **** occasionally.
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#31 Apr 21 2010 at 12:00 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
I don't think they should have marriages at all, in a game. That way everyone would be equal.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#32 Apr 21 2010 at 12:40 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
626 posts
Quote:
Quote:
People offended with same *** marriages (whether in-game or not) are morons. They "hate" it because some stupid book told them to hate it, because this book magically came up with the idea and marriage can ONLY be between a man and a woman since the book said so.

*snort*

Marriage existed thousands of years before religion smeared its disgusting fecal matter all over the word and tried to claim it as its own.


Quote:
...wow. That's a very close-minded view of things



well, its technicly true though. marriage was never owned by any religion, only sanctioned by many in ancient times and kept alive by old tradition. (fyi tradions usually dont do anything but make people feel good about the past.) i dont care either way, im *** but because of any arguments, RL couples who are married and play together imo should just suck it up and play without rings if a good compromise cant be worked out. if not, oh well, its a JP game and they are indeed in a different mindset so i guess everone else should be the ones to suck it up.
it sucks that because of religion we arent entitled to a paper with two signatures on it, but maybe the politics should be left for IRL?
____________________________

#33 Apr 21 2010 at 12:45 AM Rating: Good
**
736 posts
/reads Quanta's post several times

That was either an oddly passive aggressive way of agreeing with me, or a refutation to a misinterpretation that just so happens to accidentally reinforce what I was actually saying.

Either way:
Thank you? o.o



Edited, Apr 21st 2010 2:56am by Zemzelette
#34Skeptic, Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 12:50 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) To answer the Subject of this Thread:
#35 Apr 21 2010 at 12:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
597 posts
Zemzelette wrote:
/reads Quanta's post several times

That was either an oddly passive aggressive way of agreeing with me, or a refutation to a misinterpretation that just so happens to accidentally reinforce what I was actually saying.

Either way:
o.o


I'm guessing misinterpretation on my part. It's 2am; I'm tired. :P
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#36 Apr 21 2010 at 1:37 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Like most things sexual this would more then likely bump up the game rating to an M. I highly doubt it's going to happen, after the failure of Conan game companys are probably going to stay away from high gore/sexuality in mmo's for a long time to come imo.
#37 Apr 21 2010 at 1:50 AM Rating: Good
tilday wrote:
Like most things sexual this would more then likely bump up the game rating to an M. I highly doubt it's going to happen, after the failure of Conan game companys are probably going to stay away from high gore/sexuality in mmo's for a long time to come imo.



What, marriage? Because a large majority of the MMOs I've played have had marriage and were not rated M.

Or are you suggesting that same *** marriages would warrant an M rating, whereas opposite-*** would not?
#38 Apr 21 2010 at 5:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
The thing that bugged the most about the FFXI marriage is that all the females got a pretty dress set, but the males didn't get a tuxedo or something similar.


aurormnk wrote:
Christianity is the largest religion in the world. If even a 100th of the Christians spoke out and protested about *** marriage you would be hearing a whole lot more protests. And that is only one of the religions that is against it, not to mention ppl who are not part of any religion but do not believe in same *** marriages.


Uhm it's about how you interpret the Bible. It's just wrong to say that all Christains are against same *** marriages.

Edited, Apr 21st 2010 1:33pm by RedGalka
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#39 Apr 21 2010 at 8:44 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
204 posts
Quote:
Uhm it's about how you interpret the Bible. It's just wrong to say that all Christains are against same *** marriages.


Yeah you're right. All Christians are not against the *** marriage. However, the bible is pretty clear and literal on the subject of homosexuality and marriage. How one want's to take what it says is their choice and opinion. Even still, my point is that even if a tenth of all Christians were against *** marriage and then a 100th, so 1000th, of them spoke out about it, there would be much more protesting going on.
#40 Apr 21 2010 at 8:51 AM Rating: Decent
*
215 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:


People offended with same *** marriages (whether in-game or not) are morons. They "hate" it because some stupid book told them to hate it, because this book magically came up with the idea and marriage can ONLY be between a man and a woman since the book said so.

*snort*

Marriage existed thousands of years before religion smeared its disgusting fecal matter all over the word and tried to claim it as its own.


For one, thousands of years before marriage, most forms of marriage were STILL between man and woman. Sure theres been exceptions through time, but none really that notable. Animals including us are genetically inclined to favor male and female matches, because well, thats how reproduction works. Not really magical. I'm all for same *** marriage but at least make a valid point if you are going to express yourself.
#41 Apr 21 2010 at 8:54 AM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,804 posts
zuogehaomeng wrote:
For one, thousands of years before marriage, most forms of marriage were

zuogehaomeng wrote:
I'm all for same *** marriage but at least make a valid point if you are going to express yourself.
#42cutsaw, Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 9:25 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) gee... i wonder how humans procreate since millions of years ago
#43 Apr 21 2010 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
*
57 posts
It sounds like marriage in FFXI was a customer service nightmare on multiple levels. Unless they can do it better this time around I am more inclined to hope they don't do it at all. Most people who are inclined to have RP marriages will find their own means for costumes, locations, and rituals anyway. In EQ2 people could do amazing things for decorating their homes like creating fire places, kitchens, stoves and bathrooms out of house items intended for other purposes. That wasn't practical in FFXI but the motivation is probably similar.

I really think that playing an MMO with this type of involvement either through RP or making more out of the game than was ever intended by the developers is a type of art form and to some extent human nature. It's on par with being a kid and pretending that a bicycle is a motorcycle or a horse.

The other thing that makes FF so interesting is the story line. When I play WOW and EQ2 I usually ignore the lore and background information, but with FFXI and other FF games I was really into what the NPCs had to say and what was going on in the world around me.

The religion/politics debate is personal and something that I don't think can be resolved on a forum between hundreds of strangers (especially with no common goal to reach a resolution).

Mostly, at this point, I am making an argument for why I think it's fun to be involved enough in an MMO to want to have a marriage ceremony in it. I think those of you who only focus on game mechanics are potentially missing out, or maybe not realizing some of the "fluff" that does actually appeal to you (maybe not in-game marriages, but surely other things).
#44 Apr 21 2010 at 9:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Take official marriage ceremonies out of the game all together. I think they are stupid. If players want to get virtually married, let them arrange and play out their own. Just put wedding gear and signable rings in the game then let the players go to town with whatever the **** they want. If someone wants to be the Bill Henrickson of Eorzea or lesbos, go right ahead.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#45 Apr 21 2010 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
My opinion on this matter is that honestly sometimes people just need to have a nice, tall, old-fashioned glass of mind your own **** beeswax. If people focused a little more on their own lives and a little less on what everyone else is doing, we'd all be better off. I don't really care what the OP is doing with her partner halfway across Eorzia because guess what?

Doesn't affect me in the slightest, unless of course, I make it my business.

My life isn't so empty that I need to go on a crusade to deny someone else something that would make him or her happy. I feel sorry for the people whose lives are that empty.
#46 Apr 21 2010 at 10:14 AM Rating: Decent
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
dalm wrote:
However, as much as I'm indifferent to the issue as I'm not much of an RP'er (though I do support having the option), I don't see it happening. Japanese society is not particularly progressive when it comes to these kinds of issues and being that the company is Japanese, I imagine they will adhere to their own cultural standards before considering the rest of the world.
This thread could have ended right here, because this pretty much sums up the reality.

Don't personally care one way or the other about *** marriage (Which I guess by proxy makes me for it? I'm just not an activist?) so honestly my opinion is set more within the realm of reality, and not biased by some personal interest. Fact of the matter is, not every culture loves gays quite like America does, people need to remember that.
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#47 Apr 21 2010 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
*
147 posts
dalm wrote:
However, as much as I'm indifferent to the issue as I'm not much of an RP'er (though I do support having the option), I don't see it happening. Japanese society is not particularly progressive when it comes to these kinds of issues and being that the company is Japanese, I imagine they will adhere to their own cultural standards before considering the rest of the world.This thread could have ended right here, because this pretty much sums up the reality.

Don't personally care one way or the other about *** marriage (Which I guess by proxy makes me for it? I'm just not an activist?) so honestly my opinion is set more within the realm of reality, and not biased by some personal interest. Fact of the matter is, not every culture loves gays quite like America does, people need to remember that.

But its okay to dress cat women like underage school girls. I will never understand hahaha. Sorry, I'm forum stupid and also don't know how to quote someone :)

Serena
#48 Apr 21 2010 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Wasn't there a guy over there who married his virtual girlfriend irl?
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#49 Apr 21 2010 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
448 posts
I am going to echo the sentiment of some here:

Take out the ceremony (leave it to the RPers to create their own and for the love of god do not announce it for some asshats to crash which leads to a maelstrom of bad things), put in a set of two rings to be exchanged to whomever/whatever, call it the bonding rings and go with it.

It does boil down to being SE's game and we play by their rules of course, so take what you can get when you can get it.
____________________________
"We're getting close, real close. And now for some more bad news... Ready?"
-- Egg Shen
#50 Apr 21 2010 at 12:33 PM Rating: Decent
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
puppetmasterserena wrote:

But its okay to dress cat women like underage school girls. I will never understand hahaha. Sorry, I'm forum stupid and also don't know how to quote someone :)
I never said Japan wasn't weird in their own ways. Just not the same ways we are.
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#51 Apr 21 2010 at 4:16 PM Rating: Default
Repressed Memories
******
20,804 posts
Zackary wrote:
Don't personally care one way or the other about *** marriage (Which I guess by proxy makes me for it? I'm just not an activist?)

That depends where you live. Apathy supports the status quo, whatever that happens to be for you.
« Previous 1 2 3
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)