Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Marriage Equality in Eorzea?Follow

#52 Apr 21 2010 at 4:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
RedGalka wrote:
Wasn't there a guy over there who married his virtual girlfriend irl?


It isn't too rare for players who date in game to eventually date IRL. I knew some players from an XI linkshell that dated in game and later got married IRL. If anything you get to find out personality before you actually meet the person, which might be helpful to a relationship.
#53 Apr 21 2010 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
Quote:
Quote:
Wasn't there a guy over there who married his virtual girlfriend irl?

It isn't too rare for players who date in game to eventually date IRL. I knew some players from an XI linkshell that dated in game and later got married IRL. If anything you get to find out personality before you actually meet the person, which might be helpful to a relationship.

I think they meant the case with that dating sim game on the Nintendo DS. The girlfriend wasn't actually a real person, just one of the characters you could pick to 'date'.

I also think it would be fair to just have signable rings and a suit/dress that you can obtain, rather than a full-fledged wedding system. If they had a wedding system, I doubt it would be much different from FFXI's one, which took a lot of patience. Personally I would rather be married by someone my spouse and I know, rather than a GM.
#54 Apr 21 2010 at 5:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Chikama wrote:
I think they meant the case with that dating sim game on the Nintendo DS. The girlfriend wasn't actually a real person, just one of the characters you could pick to 'date'.


Now i'm a little scared finding this out....Well at the very least she was probably perfect, and when she wasn't all he has to do is turn her off!!
#55 Apr 21 2010 at 5:37 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
398 posts
Quote:
People offended with same *** marriages (whether in-game or not) are morons. They "hate" it because some stupid book told them to hate it, because this book magically came up with the idea and marriage can ONLY be between a man and a woman since the book said so.

*snort*

Marriage existed thousands of years before religion smeared its disgusting fecal matter all over the word and tried to claim it as its own.


Well when you consider that your argument only actualy applies to europe and the middle east, then sure you have a point.. it's still one of the most offencive things I've read on this board.
Lets expand on this though, most of the Asian contries have a deeply ingrained (nonjudochristaic) culture that strictly prohibit same *** marriage for reasons that have little to do with religion.
Yes it is still closed mindedness but it's no more closed minded than you seem to be.

As a Pagan, Human, and Gamer I can not suport or condone this message.


On topic, I agree that the best way for them to handle marriage is to give us the tool to hold our own and not officialy support it either way. That keeps them from wearing that blame hat and lets us have whatever union we want, be it suit and dress, dress and dress, suit and suit, or leather and steel.
#56 Apr 21 2010 at 5:38 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,416 posts
Borkachev wrote:
I look forward to another seven years of raging arguments about this. Maybe they'll drop the marriage thing altogether this time, because they really can't win.

^
Harri wrote:
Take official marriage ceremonies out of the game all together. I think they are stupid. If players want to get virtually married, let them arrange and play out their own. Just put wedding gear and signable rings in the game then let the players go to town with whatever the **** they want.

^

It seems silly that someone would complain about a MMO that did not have an "official" form of marriage. It really does nothing for you in the first place.

Until same-*** is universally accepted by all cultures and religions, I wouldn't do it. Unless of course, I'm only marketing to those people for or against it.
____________________________
Abort, Retry, Fail?
TeamAFK!

/equip Head Knowledge
You gain the latent effect of Power.
#57 Apr 21 2010 at 6:50 PM Rating: Default
*
215 posts
Allegory wrote:
zuogehaomeng wrote:
For one, thousands of years before marriage, most forms of marriage were

zuogehaomeng wrote:
I'm all for same *** marriage but at least make a valid point if you are going to express yourself.


Nice catch. I meant to say thousands of years before 'Christian' marriage. Also, these are one of these arguments that are just going to go in circles. If the issue means so much to you the best you can do is not buy the game and make clear to Square-Enix the reasons why. If enough people do it, money will always win out. But being a paying customer and saying you will just be upset really isn't going to do anything for you. Besides, if they were going to just add it out of mere respect it would've happened in FFXI already. Last time I checked the same people are working there and making the game...
#58 Apr 21 2010 at 9:35 PM Rating: Decent
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
Allegory wrote:
Zackary wrote:
Don't personally care one way or the other about *** marriage (Which I guess by proxy makes me for it? I'm just not an activist?)

That depends where you live. Apathy supports the status quo, whatever that happens to be for you.
Guess that makes me for it? We love *** people here in Gainesville.
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#59 Apr 21 2010 at 11:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
zurinadrg wrote:
argument only actualy applies to europe and the middle east


Not America or just forgot?

zurinadrg wrote:
for reasons that have little to do with religion


What reasons?
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#60sigurogu, Posted: Apr 24 2010 at 8:28 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) biggest troll thread iv'e seen
#61 Apr 24 2010 at 8:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
Red- Yeah I did forget America :P nobody cares about them anyway hehe.

As for the reasons, Asian cultures tend to revolve around the family and anything that does not benifit the family tends to be out of the question. While Japanese and chinese culture has taken a pretty good turn in a more tolerant direction they are still very publicly strict about everything that does not fit thier idea of the norm.
While these values have filtered into the values of Asian religions it is my understanding that it is more an artifact of the culture than the religions themselves.
#62 Apr 24 2010 at 10:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
Back on track though, I realy do hope they take a more hands off aproach and just let us figure out our own weddings/cerimonies with enough outfits and wearables to cover what we need.
#63 May 03 2010 at 2:46 AM Rating: Default
**
459 posts
in-game marriages are so absurd to me, for some reason. seems childish, though i'm sure it'll be pretty srs bsns in a few more years when we're all plugging in to the interbutts Matrix style.

even so, it does seem pretty stupid that they would code in the extra lines to specify what sexes of digital avatars can get "married".
#64 May 03 2010 at 4:32 AM Rating: Default
*
64 posts
I really hope they do not include any marriage options of any kind. As other posters and the discussion for years have stated: If they allow same *** marriages people will rage. If not they will also rage.

It's loose - loose for SE
#65 May 03 2010 at 5:48 AM Rating: Decent
*
96 posts
They should just drop it altogether, I always thought it was a wird installment in the first place. Then there is nothing to discuss, and no one gets offended. As for myself I don't really care if they have or don't have it, just think it's wird to have it in a game :)
#66 May 03 2010 at 2:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
Maturity to handle such things does not exist. That's all there is to it.

not an insult. There are droves of adults that are not mature enough to handle opposition to their own beliefs. It's just not worth what will come of it.
#67 May 03 2010 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
Still pushing for no service for it but for them to let us figure it out ourselves. A few weddinglike outfits would be nice too.

Though if they use the system they were talking about to let players create thier own events in XI that would be great too... hmmm maybe even generating custom event leves that the creater could distribute as they see fit. This idea is headed into a whole new topic so I'll cut it there :P .

Edited, May 3rd 2010 4:30pm by zurinadrg
#68 May 03 2010 at 3:17 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
Borkachev wrote:
I look forward to another seven years of raging arguments about this. Maybe they'll drop the marriage thing altogether this time, because they really can't win.


Yeah they can, we can invent a time machine for people who still believe this cant be resolved to travel back into the 1200s where they belong.

I avoided this thread for awhile.. and the first comment... grrr
#69 May 04 2010 at 7:48 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
My bf and I were both long time FFXI players and we're going to be playing FFXIV as soon as it releases. I'm of the mindset that really SE should just leave it up to the players. Quite frankly, if they are going to do it officially they need to make it available to all players. Don't half-*** it and open up the can of worms that will be opened by having it officially and limiting who can/can't enjoy said feature. Just leave it to the players, let us craft our own personal stories within FFXIV. Frankly, my bf(Elezan) and I(Lalafell) have already decided to have the same last name, we just have to pick a fun last name that we both like. Being able to have the same last name is actually pretty neat and good enough for me. Let's just leave it there.
____________________________
High Summoner Shuichi - 75SMN | 75SAM | 75NIN | 75MNK | 75BLM
Levi Server
ShuichixXalien
#70TkdGunter, Posted: May 04 2010 at 12:47 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I want to marry my chocobo.
#71 May 04 2010 at 1:39 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,010 posts
I just find it interesting that SE had no problems at all with limiting two entire races to only one playable gender and then only offered marriage to characters of opposing *** and different race. They essentially took away the choices for two races and then said "Welp sorry, Ms. Mithra, your only choices don't even include your own race! No kittens for joo."

Somehow it just seems like they didn't really think that one through fully. I say in general, just leave the ceremony out of the game entirely. Maybe make a low level goldsmithing recipe to forge a ring with your name on it, tradable to whomever you want. Then everyone is hapy, no one gets **** hurt over using the word "marriage", and the problem is solved.
#72 May 04 2010 at 6:56 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
IDK about most people playing the game, but speaking just for myself it wouldn't bother me if marriages were included or completely left out.

I didn't really see the point in it from a gamers POV in FFXI. It cost a ridiculous amount of gil, and didn't give you anything worth while gear wise.
Later on when my wife started to play with me we both thought it was something cute that we may eventually do, but decided that it was a waste of gil. All of the people who we played with all the time knew we were a RL couple anyway.

I saw someone else post the idea earlier that it should be renamed something else and allow any gender/race combo to participate if they wanted to. I personally think this is the least controversial solution (aside from dropping it altogether)

Sure you have the people who want the "Union" I guess it could be called, to still just be a simple marriage. Why should a "normal" boy/girl couple have to "suffer" because of other people's views.
Or you have a male/male, female/female couples who want the same rights as a "traditional" couple so they want it called marriage also. The simple answer to that is that Eorzea calls it a Union (or something else)

I compare it to the saying " a good deal leaves both parties a little unsatisfied"
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#73 May 04 2010 at 7:02 PM Rating: Default
Sage
*
205 posts
Well on subject, what would Marriage in game mean for last names? It would be really funny if some one took the last name you wanted, so you find them, marry them for the name, and then divorce them and elect to keep the name...if you can do that of course.
#74 May 05 2010 at 1:34 PM Rating: Decent
*
64 posts
say NO to Marriage!
#75 May 06 2010 at 1:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,087 posts
Dalm wrote:
Japanese society is not particularly progressive when it comes to these kinds of issues and being that the company is Japanese, I imagine they will adhere to their own cultural standards before considering the rest of the world.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Japan

I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from. They don't seem much different then us(North Americans) when it comes to today. The past though they were obviously much more accepting of it then North Americans.

To the OP:

Honestly, forget it. Fight for your rights in reality. Thats the only place it matters. I'd rather you be able to actually get married then to waste time trying to do it in a videogame. Once you can get married in RL chances are it will translate into videogames all on it's own.
#76 May 06 2010 at 6:38 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
121 posts
lol I'm surprised I got quoted for this - that was a long time ago. For the record, just because there are official laws in place that make homosexuality in Japan not illegal, that doesn't mean it's generally approved of, either. Japan has a conservative, xenophobic mindset - both at the governmental and public level. Laws they passed years ago to appear civilized do not public approval make. Perhaps things are changing slowly NOW with the younger generations, as is stated by the article, but they're still a long ways behind where other nations are at. Any references the article makes to *** characters in Anime or Manga (of which there are many) aren't really progressive, as the majority of these characters (except in Yaoi or Hentai) are vilified. *** men are often overly feminized, which has the same connotation in NA society. Any "acceptance" (or "turn the other way") type attitudes that may have been prevalent during samurai times have eroded with Japan's desire in the late 1800s/early 1900s, and after WWII and the American occupation, to adopt ideals that will appeal most to the outside world. (Sadly I don't have solid facts to back this up, but from my own university studies in Japanese history and anecdotal evidence from friends who have lived/studied/traveled there, my generalizations are accurate at least at that level).

Japan is a society that doesn't take change lightly or easily. I have a friend who's living there atm and *** acquaintances of his have a **** of a time meeting anybody as the options for meeting people are severely limited, as are the locations at which *** men and women can get together in a safe environment to socialize. According to him, it's still largely considered to be a deviant behaviour.

Regardless, this option won't be in the game. Developers biases aside, not enough people will care enough about or for it for it to fly.
#77 May 06 2010 at 7:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
Yes, as I understand it, it is a "deviant" behavior in Japan. It is something I hear is seen more often in the past few years but it's still considered very shocking to see two girls or guys holding hands (past middle school age at least) and not very well recieved by the public.

It is seen in Anime and manga more as the artists have few compunctions about showing it for varrious reasons (either for shock value or self expression from what I've seen).

But it is a behavior that most childeren are expected to go through a phase of at some point in thier adolesance, or so I hear.
#78 May 10 2010 at 11:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
33 posts
In WoW, when you make a piece of armor (like, craft it yourself) it says "Made by [name]" in the description. If there was even just something like that in FFXIV, I'd be content - that way my girlfriend and I could just craft each other "wedding" rings. :D

I think that Squenix would have no trouble finding a good "excuse" for same-*** marriage if they so chose (they didn't want to alienate overseas players from countries in which it was legal, many players don't play as their own gender, Eorzea has different laws regarding marriage because of the one-gender races like Mi'qote, etc etc etc). But if they want to avoid any trouble altogether the best idea would be to just offer pretty dresses and nice suits and let people decide it on their own. IMO 99% of the people who really want marriage are RPers, and perfectly capable of holding their own ceremony (although it'd be fun to get your own cutscene~). Maybe they could get their friends together to light off some fireworks! Haha now I'm kind of excited
#79 May 10 2010 at 11:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Quote:
In WoW, when you make a piece of armor (like, craft it yourself) it says "Made by [name]" in the description. If there was even just something like that in FFXIV, I'd be content - that way my girlfriend and I could just craft each other "wedding" rings. :D


FFXI has that option so I don't see why FFXIV wouldn't have it.

Edited, May 10th 2010 7:54pm by RedGalka
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#80 May 10 2010 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
**
782 posts
I'm with the leave it out crowd. Its one less thing for SE to work on while procrastinating the real problems.

#81 May 10 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
**
793 posts
Just a thought:

If we're assuming that the marriage system will be the same as in XI, where you need to go through a formal application process, perhaps this could be easily resolved by making it, well, easier to get married. Imagine if 2 people (any gender combination) could just walk up to an NPC, pay a fee, book a time slot, then hold a wedding. As long as S-E coded it so any 2 people could do it, then they have (somewhat) removed themselves from the equation. This is obviously less involved than the alternative of having a GM preside over the ceremony, and condone it on behalf of S-E. Didn't WOW have something similar to this? Or was it opposite *** marriage based too?

But yeah, either this or drop it all together. People can just sign and exchange bronze rings for their wedding vows; the game doesn't have to have a FORMAL wedding system.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#82 May 10 2010 at 2:15 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
Quote:
If we're assuming that the marriage system will be the same as in XI, where you need to go through a formal application process, perhaps this could be easily resolved by making it, well, easier to get married. Imagine if 2 people (any gender combination) could just walk up to an NPC, pay a fee, book a time slot, then hold a wedding. As long as S-E coded it so any 2 people could do it, then they have (somewhat) removed themselves from the equation. This is obviously less involved than the alternative of having a GM preside over the ceremony, and condone it on behalf of S-E. Didn't WOW have something similar to this? Or was it opposite *** marriage based too?


Whoa whoa whoa whoa! What do you have agaist polygamists? Limiting a marrige to only two people? Where do you get off!

::This is the way we stir the pot, stir the pot, stir the pot::
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#83Onionthiefx, Posted: May 10 2010 at 2:19 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Lol, good point, but that's sort of why I said to get rid of the system all together. One of the above "defaulted" posters said he/she wanted to marry his/her chocobo... I think the point that was trying to be made was if we're going to allow same *** marriage, why not all other forms of marriage as well?
#84 May 10 2010 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
That post was defaulted because it's an ignorant comparison of a relationship between two consenting adults with bestiality. It's not like it's the first time something like that has been used to give a disturbing visual with the intention of instilling fear and anger in the general populous against something that they don't understand. He might have been joking and meant it with no malice, but that's how I read it and I'm sure that others did as well.


RedGalka wrote:
FFXI has that option so I don't see why FFXIV wouldn't have it.


The problem with FFXI's method is that you first have to get to a certain level of proficiency in a crafting profession before you are allowed to start making and turning in items for the guild points needed to buy the crystals that allow you to affix your signature to the item in question. That's not exactly the same as the WoW system.

I agree with leaving the whole mess out of the game entirely. Just add a level 1 ring craftable by anyone with 0 skill that with the use of any crystal (or whatever it ends up being) that affixes the name of the crafter to it. Really simple.

#85 May 10 2010 at 3:44 PM Rating: Default
***
2,890 posts
Everyone seems to forget about the fact that this is a role playing game.
If actual husband and wife feel like they want to RP two mithras who love one another why exactly does anyone care?

What about the role playing aspect of this role playing game? Are people SO tight waded and under educated that they think they are saving us from ourselves (going to ****) by preventing us from role playing characters in an MMORPG?
#86 May 11 2010 at 3:22 AM Rating: Decent
**
459 posts
Quote:
Like most things sexual this would more then likely bump up the game rating to an M. I highly doubt it's going to happen, after the failure of Conan game companys are probably going to stay away from high gore/sexuality in mmo's for a long time to come imo.


i was playing conan during beta and into live release... i would say that the *** and gore are the only reasons people picked that game up. AoC had severe gameplay and polish problems that had nothing to do with its racy humor or violent themes. AoC was, in fact, almost shockingly tame compared to the hype and modern media standards.

"My thighs sweat with the heat of your enthusiasm..." not even a single word of profanity or explicit reference to obscene acts. it's like shakespearian softcore -- it wouldn't even deserve the label of "smut". i think the strongest label to apply to AoC in context of its embedding in contemporary pop culture would be "finally, a game for people with double-digit ages".
____________________________
BANNED
#87 May 11 2010 at 3:31 AM Rating: Decent
**
459 posts
KatoArabel wrote:
[quote][quote]Quote:If you're bi or homosexual, keep it out of my back yard.


that's about as disgustingly snide as it's possible to get without quoting hateful scriptural passages. if you don't want human beings in your backyard, have you ever considered that they might not be too happy about your outrageous conceit?
____________________________
BANNED
#88 May 11 2010 at 9:03 AM Rating: Good
Guru
**
398 posts
I like the idea of access to self-signed rings that you can give to your partner (whoever they may be), and vice versa. From a RP perspective, I'd much rather have a friend perform a ceremony for me and my girlfriend than some in game automated mechanic, should we ever want to do so. But having a physical representation of that ceremony that we can keep on our characters is something that is desirable.

I don't believe that such a feature should be limited to different *** couples. I also do not think that they should be limited to representing marraige, either. If two people want to make a pact of brother/sisterhood then they should be able to use the same functionality to do so. Pacts between two people don't always have to be about love. They can also be about loyalty, or common cause. The choice (and the reasons for doing it) should be down to the people forming a pact, not anyone else because, frankly, it's not anyone elses business.

As for the broader arguments about morality and whatnot, all I can say is that the FFXI rules simply do not make sense. Anyone who is opposed to same-*** marriages but ok with a taru girl marrying a galkan is just plain sick in the head :P Interspecies relations are ok but intergender are not? Hmmmm...

____________________________
Gii ~~ Kujata (now Giii of Valefor)
Woodworking 100+3+3, some jobs at some levels
#89 May 11 2010 at 11:02 PM Rating: Default
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,075 posts
thorazinekizzez wrote:
Everyone seems to forget about the fact that this is a role playing game.
If actual husband and wife feel like they want to RP two mithras who love one another why exactly does anyone care?

What about the role playing aspect of this role playing game? Are people SO tight waded and under educated that they think they are saving us from ourselves (going to ****) by preventing us from role playing characters in an MMORPG?


I like to RP. I've done it for years. I never really did it in FFXI, however, as it's rare for an MMO to actually seriously embrace it without it being a detriment to game play. Overall, I have no problem with people RPing Mithras wanting to get their ***** on. Perhaps my "problem" is their insistence on the presence of a coded equivalent of, "Hey, look at me! You don't give a crap because there's no coded benefit, but we're MARRIED~" Okay...? I don't think I'm stopping them from running off to random romantic location for a little self-performed ceremony, either.

I've been to weddings in XI. They're stiff and quite possibly some of the worst examples of RP one could actually look to if you take it seriously. Part of it is game limitations, part of it is the players. Making a more vibrant comparison to the real thing would take a **** of a lot of man hours, and even then it would be pretty standard. I mean, where's the bride's maid seducing the groom or the drunk uncle puking on the bride's dress? Those are just random examples of bad things that could realistically happen, but wouldn't because half the people who believe they're good RPers haven't fleshed out **** in their supposed histories.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#90thorazinekizzez, Posted: May 12 2010 at 9:59 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Using logic here is like bringing a knife to a gun fight... Instead you should ask if he burns bibles at his weekly book burnings because bibles are also books or something like that. I guess that's too logical.. I give up..
#91MetalSmith, Posted: May 12 2010 at 5:51 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Hrm.
#92 May 12 2010 at 5:55 PM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
MetalSmith, your viewpoints on marriage and its usage are deliciously naive at best.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#93 May 12 2010 at 6:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
I don't think the main reason for marriage is making a stable enviroment for having children at all. Ofcourse it sounds a lot nicer that way. The first and main reason is more selfish: it's just to improve wealth for themselves. People are simply stronger as a couple, with combined resources, effort, benefits, being a solid rock for the other to support on.

Edited, May 13th 2010 2:22am by RedGalka
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#94 May 12 2010 at 6:28 PM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
MetalSmith wrote:

I don't like this entire thread topic, and for many reasons. Marriage in and of itself is a nasty little debate. Marriage is a tool used to create a stable environment for conceiving and raising children, IMO. In this context, no, there should be no such thing as same *** marriages. The underlying reason for marriage in most cultures is in terms of procreation. It's not about ***, though that is a part of it, and a part that people tend to inflate to a much higher importance than the real issue, which is children.


Where you lost me here is that you limited the ban to "same-***" marriages, despite the fact that no type of marriage can have "in-game children." Oh, and also the fact you ignorantly label marriage as a way to have a children. Children have been produced since the dawn of existence, long before marriage was ever conceived. People have children all the time outside of marriage. Children are a completely separate issue from marriage, period.

Quote:
You may say that same *** couples can also have children, through adoption or artificial insemination, and this is correct, though unnatural in the purest of senses. A child, at most, can only be half of the parents. This isn't meant to be insulting or anything, but it's important. I have the ability to care about children in general, but the thought of having a child that is not only of myself but of the one I love, that's scary, frightening, and awesome. I'm getting to the age where my friends are starting to start families, and the changes are just amazing. People really do change when they have children of their own, and it's much different than them just being responsible for a child. There is a love that is something that cannot be shattered by any means. And it's not just the one parent that has this love, it is shared by both parents. It's a connection that isn't quite the same as an adoptive parent.


Where you lost me here is where you openly admitted you have no child of your own yet attempt to compare the love a parent can feel for their child, adopted or otherwise. My serious recommendation to you is that you not attempt to dabble in psychological reasoning when you 1) have no personal experience and 2) seemingly have no second-hand experience of adoption. In other words, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
This emotion is the true starting point of marriage, and it goes hand in hand with family.


While this MAY have been true back when we were still a hairy brand of beings, that is certainly not how marriage is AT ALL viewed today. There are plenty of people who never want children and yet want marriage as well as people who cannot have children and want marriage, same-*** or not. There are plenty of women out there with husbands who cannot get pregnant and it has nothing to do with them being "unnatural in the purest sense."


Quote:
I forgot one other reason though...

There are no girls on the internet :/


I'm just going to refrain from responding to this so I don't step into "flaming" territory.
#95 May 12 2010 at 9:05 PM Rating: Decent
And people get married all the time without the intent of having children too. Should we forbid seniors to marry because they aren't able to have children?
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#96 May 13 2010 at 12:13 AM Rating: Default
*
109 posts
Since it seems like opinions on real-world issues keep leaking into this thread, maybe we should move this discussion on over to the OOT forum? Can we keep what is already here, here and have it continue further elsewhere?
____________________________

Kashius wrote:
Things WoW did not invent:
...
- Fun
#97 May 13 2010 at 12:45 AM Rating: Default
Repressed Memories
******
20,804 posts
Unfortunately, people like being heard regardless of how (in)appropriate the venue may be. There is no way to have a discussion about *** marriage in a video game and force people to maintain the poise required to stick to only that topic.

Edited, May 13th 2010 1:46am by Allegory
#98 May 13 2010 at 7:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
At it's root I beleive that an MMO should be a place where people of differing backgrounds should be able to exist and do things they might not normaly be allowed, so long as they are not doing so in a way that disrupts the game play of others.

Even if people are opposed to the idea IRL, I can't see why they can't allow people who want to engage in such to do so, again so long as it doesn't disrupt thier gameplay.
#99 May 13 2010 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
Fake *** online marriage ruins the sanctity of fake online marriage!!!! >.<
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#100 May 13 2010 at 10:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
Quote:
Fake *** online marriage ruins the sanctity of fake online marriage!!!! >.<


Sanctity of my @$$ ;P
#101 May 15 2010 at 9:04 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
I think they should have same *** marriage in game and out. It's no one's business if you want you're female character to marry another female character. I do have to say this though, *** people attacking another's religion and others for having a different opinions are just as ignorant as the people they oppose. If someone makes a comment saying they don't want Male Miqo'te to look feminine, that's absolutly no reason to attack them. They might want to play a Male Miqo'te as much as you do they just don't want them to look like another female miqo'te.

Anyway sorry for ranting but yeah, I think there is a real possiblity for them letting same *** marriage happen in game as there is no real reason why they wouldn't.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)