Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 4 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Add ons for FFXIVFollow

#152 May 12 2010 at 4:01 PM Rating: Default
windexy wrote:
Quote:
You seem to have this absurd notion that I'm a prick because you're wrong and I've told you so. Want me to be less of a "prick"? Stop being wrong, and if you can't manage that, at least stop getting needlessly butthurt when you're called on it. Protip: I know more about the genre than you. If the best you have to offer is cussing and blustering and crying, find someone else to QQ at. You should know by now that I don't back down.


I think he has the absurd notion that your a prick because thats how your writing makes you come across. I often agree with you but still hate reading your posts because your come across like that in nearly every single post you write.

Nothing personal it's probably just your style of writing.


Thin skinned people have a hard time with internet forums. That's a lesson I've learned over the course of six years as a poster here and elsewhere on the net. People not liking to have their ideas challenged does not equate to me being a bad person or a mean guy. It's kind of funny, because all the people crying about my response to some of the more absurd ideas or poorly thought out conclusions turn around and level the exact same type of criticism at SE when SE doesn't live up to their expectations. In fact, I'd say my responses are fairly mild compared to some of the vitriol I've seen aimed SE's way during my years playing FFXI and my occasional sojourn to the FFXI boards since having stopped playing. It's okay for them to let fly with the scathing criticism but when they're exposed to the same thing, the fight is on.

If that makes me a prick, so be it. I'd rather be a consistant prick than a carebear hypocrite.
#153 May 12 2010 at 5:44 PM Rating: Excellent
*
64 posts
I'm seeing a lot of argument that seems to point that addons lead to RMT. This is absurd. To continue in the vein of the thread lets compare WoW and FFXI, which of these two outlaws addons and which of these two has a RMT problem?

WoW allows addons, and has no RMT problem. (It exists, but is not a major issue)

FFXI does not allow addons, yet is botted much more than wow, and has a massive RMT problem _to this very day_



Addons do not cause RMT people, game economy design drives RMT. Game design drives botting.
____________________________
FFXIV:
Tekno Viking (Lindblum)

FFXI:
Synap 85RDM (Cerberus)

WoW:
Tekniques80 Restoration Shaman(Darkspear)
Teknomancer80 Demonology Warlock(Darkspear)
#154 May 13 2010 at 6:22 AM Rating: Decent
**
782 posts
Quote:
Thin skinned people have a hard time with internet forums.


Like I said, I have no problem and I assume its just writing style mixed with the removal of all inflection that makes it seem this way. Despite comming across as a prick, it really is nice reading thought out and structured posts. I don't understand how some people can vomit their thoughts in whatever format they fall out of their head and be content.



Although I really do have to question question the sanity of anyone wrapping each individual wire on an ATX connector.. ha! that really would have looked slick though. It sucks you ended up wasting so much time on a dud PSU.

Edited, May 13th 2010 7:24am by windexy
#155 May 13 2010 at 9:02 AM Rating: Excellent
windexy wrote:
Quote:
You seem to have this absurd notion that I'm a prick because you're wrong and I've told you so. Want me to be less of a "prick"? Stop being wrong, and if you can't manage that, at least stop getting needlessly butthurt when you're called on it. Protip: I know more about the genre than you. If the best you have to offer is cussing and blustering and crying, find someone else to QQ at. You should know by now that I don't back down.


I think he has the absurd notion that your a prick because thats how your writing makes you come across. I often agree with you but still hate reading your posts because your come across like that in nearly every single post you write.

Nothing personal it's probably just your style of writing.
*this*

Even when I agree with you I think you're a prick about it. The "if you don't like me it must be because there is something wrong with you" attitude just illustrates it further. I think you're a prick because you act like a prick. Pure and simple.
Sir Aur wrote:
You need to think bigger. I could find an awful lot of addons for WoW whose memory usage is negligible. I could also find a lot of addons whose memory usage is quite substantial. Just because the types of things you're looking at wouldn't represent a significant demand on system resources doesn't mean that SE would be able to keep the playerbase happy by giving them a toolkit that only gives them a trivial amount of RAM to mess around with.
No, I don't? If SE limits it to things that don't make huge changes to the game (and therefore don't need a lot of memory), that's still miles above "you can't do anything at all." Just because I can't afford (or want) Kobe for every meal doesn't mean I don't want to eat. Having memory limitations even takes care of the argument that we shouldn't have extremely overpowered add-ons that fundamentally change the way the game is played.
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#156 May 13 2010 at 9:12 AM Rating: Default
Professor shintasama wrote:
Even when I agree with you I think you're a prick about it. The "if you don't like me it must be because there is something wrong with you" attitude just illustrates it further. I think you're a prick because you act like a prick. Pure and simple.


So?

Quote:
No, I don't? If SE limits it to things that don't make huge changes to the game (and therefore don't need a lot of memory), that's still miles above "you can't do anything at all." Just because I can't afford (or want) Kobe for every meal doesn't mean I don't want to eat. Having memory limitations even takes care of the argument that we shouldn't have extremely overpowered add-ons that fundamentally change the way the game is played.


You haven't done much (if any) programming in your life, have you?
#157thorazinekizzez, Posted: May 13 2010 at 1:00 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) This just in.
#158 May 13 2010 at 4:51 PM Rating: Default
36 posts
All i can say is this. Haveing played FFXI for 6 years off and on on PS2 and PS3 (via the ps2 uploader on ps3) is that FFXI had macro sets. If used correctly i could hit a macro and change gear , use WSs , cast a spell. You could also set a /recast "spell" in your macro set to tell you time remaining on recasting spell. PC users could use Vent to voice chat with eachother. Witch was a HUGE help with LinkShell events. I dont really see the need for any add-ons. SE is usualy very good at makeing the game function smooth. The Auction House was simple to use. To check others gear stats all you had to do is /check "players name" and you could see what thay had.

The only ONLY thing i think SE should do is have a Voice chat system for PC and PS3. It is so much simpler to voice chat to your team rather then stoping what your doing and trying to type everything out. But i would like to see it limited to JUST linkshell and party ONLY. and ofcorse have a function to turn it off. That would be the best fit to the game as a add-on or otherwise.
#159 May 14 2010 at 6:19 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
464 posts
vermillionreign wrote:
The only ONLY thing i think SE should do is have a Voice chat system for PC and PS3. It is so much simpler to voice chat to your team rather then stoping what your doing and trying to type everything out. But i would like to see it limited to JUST linkshell and party ONLY. and ofcorse have a function to turn it off. That would be the best fit to the game as a add-on or otherwise.

I'm not quite sure that a voice chat feature would be considered an addon, but I do think they should incorporate it into XIV. It's going to be a pain in the *** to have vent opened on my laptop & playing XIV on PS3.

They have the technology so why skimp on us?

I know someone here will have an in-depth answer to this question.
____________________________
Bleam FFXI (Retired) 75MNK/SAM/NIN/SMN/THF  
Bleam WoW (Retired) 80 Druid 
Golf WoW (Retired) 80 Death Knight 
Tewksberry WoW (Retired) 80 Hunter 
Rahana WoW (Retired) 80 Priest


TwiddleDee wrote:
Purchase and instal a bigger hard drive, at the moment my PS3 has 500GB memory which is plenty.
#160 May 14 2010 at 8:59 AM Rating: Decent
Bleam wrote:
vermillionreign wrote:
The only ONLY thing i think SE should do is have a Voice chat system for PC and PS3. It is so much simpler to voice chat to your team rather then stoping what your doing and trying to type everything out. But i would like to see it limited to JUST linkshell and party ONLY. and ofcorse have a function to turn it off. That would be the best fit to the game as a add-on or otherwise.

I'm not quite sure that a voice chat feature would be considered an addon, but I do think they should incorporate it into XIV. It's going to be a pain in the *** to have vent opened on my laptop & playing XIV on PS3.

They have the technology so why skimp on us?

I know someone here will have an in-depth answer to this question.


Tanaka commented in an interview a while back that they were concerned about whether or not they'd be able to get integrated voice chat working for FFXIV. That suggested very strongly that it was something that they would like to offer; he just wasn't sure if they'd be able to get it done. Other MMOs offer integrated voice chat, but the audio quality is typically very poor. One of the reasons why I personally think it would be important to offer is what you touched on...PS3 users would have to have a PC for VC or they'd be left out of the loop a lot of times in groups with PC players using Vent/Skype/whatever. This would be an issue moreso with regards to guild-rlated events and not so much random groups, but it would be an issue nonetheless.
#161 May 15 2010 at 2:07 PM Rating: Good
**
773 posts
One of the interesting things about Wow is that most of the more useful addons have been made part of the game making the addon obsolete. So addons are actually part of the evolution of the game.

SE of course never got it through its head that PC players liked FFXI, but they didn't want to have their computer reduced to PS2 console. Windower wasn't a cheat, it was a fix for SE's sloppy thinking.

____________________________
"We apologize for the inconvenience"
- SE Cruciatus Curse




#162 May 15 2010 at 3:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
764 posts
One of my biggest problems of wow's addons is making the game too proactive. You know everything the boss is gonna do and when. You know all his abilities, their cooldowns, when there up, when hes getting ready to use it, the addons even yell at you for standing in the bad spots so you dont even have to look there. Essentially, your already ready for everything the boss could ever hope to try do to you, which is one thing that makes scripted fights....even more scripted. I think were better off without those sort of addons and keep things REactive, you see the boss/enemy use an ability, you react to it. As opposed to knowing it was gonna happen 30 seconds ago.

If they are going to allow any kind of addon I would hope its with a tight leash, because they will go out of control, and be REQUIRED by the other players, and pushed to the very edge of what is allowed in order to cut off as many game functions/thought processes as possible and I really dont feel like sitting through ti anymore. I quit wow for two reasons. 1) the community sucks 2) If I dont have addons playing my game for me/holding my hand I'm not allowed to raid

smart players not smart buttons imo.
____________________________


#163 May 15 2010 at 3:56 PM Rating: Decent
Sir Aur wrote:
You haven't done much (if any) programming in your life, have you?
Actually yeah, yeah I have. Do you have an actual, rational response or are you just going to keep deflecting the point by continuing to be a prick?
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#164The One and Only Aurelius, Posted: May 15 2010 at 3:59 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I can tell by now that you're not interested in rational responses because I've already given you plenty and you're still just being a whiny twit about the whole thing. You're not thinking big picture. You're thinking only in terms of what you want and to **** with what that might open the door to. Typical. Altogether typical.
#165thorazinekizzez, Posted: May 16 2010 at 2:04 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I would seriously consider buying a premium account if it gave access to forums that are more heavily moderated and retarded arguments with morons who have absolutely no credentials or knowledge of the topic would be banned. Like most of the higher quality forums found around the net.
#166 May 16 2010 at 9:57 PM Rating: Good
thorazinekizzez wrote:
I would seriously consider buying a premium account if it gave access to forums that are more heavily moderated and retarded arguments with morons who have absolutely no credentials or knowledge of the topic would be banned. Like most of the higher quality forums found around the net.

I think I kind of give up on this place.
I think ill go back into lurk mode for another year. :)
Please provide links to these magical sites where everyone has credentials. I'm sure that having mods delete any posts that they don't agree with is a great system that supports open thought.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#167 May 17 2010 at 2:19 AM Rating: Good
*
109 posts
Lubriderm the Hand wrote:
thorazinekizzez wrote:
I would seriously consider buying a premium account if it gave access to forums that are more heavily moderated and retarded arguments with morons who have absolutely no credentials or knowledge of the topic would be banned. Like most of the higher quality forums found around the net.

I think I kind of give up on this place.
I think ill go back into lurk mode for another year. :)
Please provide links to these magical sites where everyone has credentials. I'm sure that having mods delete any posts that they don't agree with is a great system that supports open thought.


He has a chub for the old days of BG, and apparently an attitude of "Speculations r srs business"

Were these sorts of forums to exist, the only ones allowed to post would be game devs I'd think, as they are the only ones with any kind of concrete information at the present time.
____________________________

Kashius wrote:
Things WoW did not invent:
...
- Fun
#168 Sep 30 2010 at 1:26 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
18 posts
Caia wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like "increase performance" to me.


No more so than macroes. For all those who have the irrational fears of add ons, do you use macroes as well?

Edit: comma

Edited, Apr 22nd 2010 8:32pm by Caia


add ons on macros are different. Either you let SE make their game or you make it for them. Add-ons is bad actually imo. Reason being in macros it allows balance an game mechanics towards actually playing the game. people could make add-ons for example to play the game so that it pretty much dumbs it down too much an turns out 1 button wonders. tweaking the game has always been issues it can be helpful an all but its pretty close to cheating lol. doesn't sound like it but in development its cheating SE. alt tabbing out of the game prevents hacks etc all sorts of stuff happens when addons come into effect. they want the control an i respect it :P.
____________________________

#169 Sep 30 2010 at 1:28 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
18 posts
Elmyrsun wrote:
Quote:
that's really all addons do is provide information.


Information is the most powerful advantage of all.


lol exactly this is what people don;t understand if someone else plays with add on an another doesn't it can change teh entire economy of the game, to make the game even play differently. everything effects everything.
____________________________

#170 Oct 18 2010 at 1:30 PM Rating: Default
2 posts
Elmyrsun wrote:
I hope not. I Will be very happy if add-ons don't become the standard on 14. To me, using add-ons to increase performance in the game is kind of like using steroids to raise your batting average. And if someone makes a "Gear Score" add-on for 14 I will make it my goal to hunt down and exterminate the programmer responsible.


It's not the same. Keeping your analogy, lets say increasing your DEX stat or running speed by cheating would be like using steroids. Using addons is just using a better equipment set to get a better work out.

You sound like those people who were saying that the AH would bring RMT in the game. The RMT already are in the game because any kind of trade, item or in game money, bring them a profit in real, not because of the AH itself.

On the same note Addons are good when they make life in game easier while observing the in game rules. Most of the addons are interface addons anyway, which are highly useful. I can see how an addon like Bottom Feeder could bother the players though, that's why it was removed from the allowed addon list.

As for your programmer hunting, I'm sure they're shivering to the thought of you chasing them down armed with your vigilante stick.
#171 Oct 18 2010 at 3:15 PM Rating: Good
*
228 posts
I loved the addon system in wow, and wish they'd implement it here. Sadly SE is notoriously hard headed and stuck in their ways about third party additions, honestly it's a minor miracle that they allow us to window the game this time.. It's a shame to, because with the pitiful state the game is in now user made addons could help bridge the gap until some things get fixed. And you never know when some inventive addon developer is going to hit on a great idea, more then a few user made addons in wow were eventually incorporated by blizzard directly into their own UI.
____________________________
Quote:
Pikko wrote:
Quote:
sideways wrote: (really Pikko?)

Oh go stuff that thread up your ***. Did you even READ that post?
[...]
I mean, excuuuuse me for trying to make people PLAY NICE.


^ Second best forum mod smack down *ever*.
#172 Oct 18 2010 at 3:23 PM Rating: Good
*
228 posts
AngusX wrote:
Professor shintasama wrote:
Most add-ons don't do jack to gameplay, they just let you automate things that you can normally do but are tedious (ie. gear swaps, constantly checking recasts, timers) or increase your ability to make reasonable decisions.

Sounds like "increase performance" to me.


So download them? of course addons increase your performance, that's what they are made for >.> I don't think anyone would DL something that would hinder their ability to play, well except the game itself. (*rimshot*)

seriously though, addons help in many ways, but no matter how many addons you have - your not going to be a better player because of them, they simply aid in quality of life functions. And really...what's there to worry about in XIV anyway, there's no pvp (thank gods), theres not even an end game as of yet.

But like I said before, SE would never allow user made material to the extent that Blizzard does. Maybe it's something to do with Japanese corporate culture, as I don't think there's any JP company that truly embraces third party wares the way many western developers have.
____________________________
Quote:
Pikko wrote:
Quote:
sideways wrote: (really Pikko?)

Oh go stuff that thread up your ***. Did you even READ that post?
[...]
I mean, excuuuuse me for trying to make people PLAY NICE.


^ Second best forum mod smack down *ever*.
1 2 3 4 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)