Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

What class and race are you interested?Follow

#52 May 10 2010 at 12:21 PM Rating: Good
*
219 posts
Ha, musky. Well played sir, well played. Perhaps it'll bring a teer to my eye?
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#53 May 10 2010 at 1:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
58 posts
I'm going to be a Lalafell Gladiator. Though I'm not sure if I'm going to be a Dunefolk or Plainsfolk.

Mini-tanks FTW!!!
____________________________
Chisusu-Retired
56BLM/WHM Taru
Chisu
60PLD/WAR Taru
Rank 6 Windy
#54 May 11 2010 at 3:54 AM Rating: Good
**
459 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Sleepymagi wrote:
Surprisingly there are less people choosing Miqo'te or lalafell then i tot there will be.

On the topic, I will likely go midlander conjur. Kinda of sad as the DoW seem to have more customizability den DoM which only has 2 class (atm).


It's not uncommon for MMOs to have significanly more melee/physical damage classes than casters, though there's definitely room to add more casters in the XIV lineup. I'd kind of like to see a class a little more focused on healing. Kind of a mystical sort of class that would hopefully have at least some offense for soloing and the like but a little more robust in the healing department. And also, it seems like there's a bit more focus on the source of the magic in terms of the class names this time around. There's the conjurer that like...makes things out of nothing like conjuring the rabbit from the hat, and then the thaumaturge that dictionary.com is about doing wonderous things. Where the heck does wonder energy come from? I don't know. I kind of like the whole arcane sort of concept. Right down to the nitty gritty, as it were. Sort of like,

"Hey Conjurer! Where does your power come from?"
"I conjure it from nothingness!"

"Hey arcane guy! Where does your power come from?"
"I draw on the immense power of the arcane!! Mwahaha! And also, don't call me arcane guy. I prefer arcanist."
"Oh cool...umm...well, the conjurer has a staff and a wand...what do you use?"
"I use an....arcanist weapon <.<"
"Oh."

Like that, ya know?


there's still two base magic classes yet to be revealed, and the conjurer class is... shall we say, boring. the thaumaturgist is a renamed "Arcanist" from FFTA, and is quite interesting to me, though. i'm absolutely certain i'll be playing a lalafel caster of some sort, and i'd like to have white magic and crowd control (green or blue magic, most likely, perhaps summoning, though i'm not gonna expect a summoner to be released with live. notice that neither green nor blue magic has been released yet...) if possible. race is really the only thing i can be certain of right now.

i'll note that there's way more physical combat classes released right now than the magical disciplines, so it shouldn't come as any surprise that there's more people who were already planning on a physical combat class who know exactly what they want to be. besides, i seem to recall a poll somewhere that reported the desert lalafel as the most popular race by a decent margin... i'll also note that (forgive me for invoking a stereotype) the majority of MMO gamers are young males with fantasies of heroism. it should come as no surprise that they want to play strong, physical (i.e., super masculine) characters as a form of mary sue (or gary stu if you will). wish fulfillment.

i can't blame them. i like looking at all those well-textured muscles with compensation-sized swords as much as the next ... person.
____________________________
BANNED
#55 May 11 2010 at 6:32 PM Rating: Good
Dunesfolk Lalafell here. Loved my Taru in XI too much to roll anything else Smiley: grin

Probably be a Thaumaturge for mage primarily, and then Lancer for melee. Definitely some kinda crafting too. Cloth maybe?
#56 May 11 2010 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
***
1,603 posts
I'm not going to jump into my character creation in the same manner I did with FFXI. I know I want to eventually assume a tanking role, so I want to choose a race that compliments that career choice the best. However, if I choose to partake many different roles then I will choose the race best suited for that purpose. It just really depends on the strengths and weaknesses of each race, as well as their subsequent choices. I will be doing a massive amount of reading before making my final decision.

As of right now, the most appealing choices are Midland Hyur, and the Gladiator and Archer disciplines.
____________________________
~Vendict of Alexander~

#57 May 11 2010 at 9:05 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,232 posts
I'm definitely looking at a "Shader" Elezen. I'll probably start as a Pugilist.

As far as the other stuff, without a doubt I'll be big into the fishing and probably try a few different crafts.

All in all, I plan to spread my time around many of the Disciplines in the beginning and try to get a feel of what it is I really enjoy, rather than narrowing in on one or two things. It seems they've set the game up to allow this a bit more, with the ability to meaningfully solo, so I plan to take full advantage.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#58 May 12 2010 at 8:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
LaFey wrote:
there's still two base magic classes yet to be revealed

I recall someone saying they saw a Lalafell Druid at Gamescom, and I thought someone also mentioned Illusionist somewhere as well.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#59 May 12 2010 at 2:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,327 posts
AngelicPretty wrote:
Pretty sure I'm gonna be a Miqo'te. May remake my XI girl, but then again, all those shiny new customization options will probably change my mind. And even if I'm a girl, if they come out with male Miqo'te, I will first die of happiness then change to being a male Miqo'te.

As for jobs... I plan on being either something that deal with the arcane... or something that uses guns. Or maybe Lancer.

For crafting, I'm definitely going to be doing something that .... herds animals..... And maybe a cook.
I think if they actually come out with Male Miqo'te it'll be a reverse of the Mithra in FFXI... Instead of it being mostly guys playing girls, we're gonna have mostly girls playing guys.

Also I have a feeling that Hyur F and/or Elezen F are going to become even rarer than in FFXI - since the Mithra > Miqo'te brought in some more human-like features, they're no longer so constrasted. Now they really are just a shorter girl with cat-ears, tail and some fancy face-markings.
____________________________
drk = 80 sam = 76
pld = 79 thf= 80
nin = 80 drg = 75
mnk = 76 war = 52

Retired for now ^ ***** you Abyssea. FFXIV woo eh..
milich wrote:
buttfucking
#60 May 12 2010 at 4:50 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,081 posts
Well I loved playing MNK in FFXI, so I am going to start out with Pugilist. With the small amount of information available thus far, Pugilist seems like a cross between a XI MNK and THF that is able to do some light tanking. Also, I have a question about the Disciples of Magic. It seems from the description of spells that they are AoE, even basic spells like fire and cure.


Cure - Heals all allies within area of effect



I am wondering about the reasoning for this. I mean AoE spells are great, but if all spells are AoE, what does this say about the style of game play?

Edited, May 12th 2010 6:51pm by DrCapricious
____________________________


#61 May 13 2010 at 4:07 AM Rating: Good
**
459 posts
Ralrra wrote:
LaFey wrote:
there's still two base magic classes yet to be revealed

I recall someone saying they saw a Lalafell Druid at Gamescom, and I thought someone also mentioned Illusionist somewhere as well.


i think it might be wise to wait for an official announcement.

hey, did you hear? i heard from a friend who heard from a friend who heard from a friend that when you reach max level in FFXIV, you can create a new character with a model from one of the other FF games! imagine playing as Locke!
____________________________
BANNED
#62 May 13 2010 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
Quote:
Well I loved playing MNK in FFXI, so I am going to start out with Pugilist. With the small amount of information available thus far, Pugilist seems like a cross between a XI MNK and THF that is able to do some light tanking. Also, I have a question about the Disciples of Magic. It seems from the description of spells that they are AoE, even basic spells like fire and cure.


Cure - Heals all allies within area of effect



I am wondering about the reasoning for this. I mean AoE spells are great, but if all spells are AoE, what does this say about the style of game play?


I'm not in the alpha so I can't tell you for certain if all spells are AoE but I highly doubt it. I do wonder for the ones that are AoE if they'll work the way they did in FFXI. Where you could throw a curaga at a party member who wasn't close to you and still get the other members close to them.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#63 May 13 2010 at 8:21 AM Rating: Good
***
1,022 posts
I was a tarutaru blackmage in FFXI... I think this time I'll forgo the entirely cute and instead mix it with a bit of savageness... So I'm thinking of trying Miqote. I'd like to be an Archer but also try my hand at Tanning.
____________________________
Main character: AutumEmber
60blm/whm Rank 7 Windurst
Linkshell: SeraphsDarkside
Server: Bismarck
#64 May 13 2010 at 10:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,431 posts

I am sorta nervous about how it will work out. A lot of the game's potential depends on the community and it's acceptance of different ideas.
As it is now, at least in FFXI (I can't speak for other MMOs, as I haven't played any others), people only want the most efficient. The job/subjob system allows for a ton of different ideas. There are 20 jobs to choose from, and you can main/sub any combo you desire. Some just work way, way better than others. While a few may offer you some unique playstyles or advantages, the community will -only- accept the combinations that have proven to be the most effective. Try for anything outside of that, and you're screwed, basically.

So, I have to wonder about a game like this where customization for your classes is such a major issue. Will the community weed out the very few abilities for physical and magic that work the absolute best and stack those up on a character every single time, accepting nothing less than the "best" for everyone? Or will there be enough acceptance for different combinations...
The game itself has a role to play here as well, and a responsibility, obviously. The abilities need to be very balanced, and the game needs to not only allow for incredibly unique setups, but actually encourage them.
Really, I am sort of waiting to see how that plays out... I would really be bummed if it just got whittled down again to people using only a smal fraction of what's available for their classes, simply because everything else was less efficient.

Other than that, I am very interested to see if SE will allow for any more... exotic job types. Things like pet classes, such as beastmaster, or even summoner, from FFXI. And there are unique jobs like Blue Mage (which I adore in FFXI), that combine 2 different types of combat - physical and magical - in a way that makes them very unique and interesting. Basically a magic-powered melee, whose main attacks come from magic channeling. They also possess abilities that bridge the gap, hovering between melee and magic, and having strengths in both areas, done in a totally different way.
____________________________
~Phoenix / Figaro~
--
Little angel go away,
come again some other day.
The devil has my ear today,
I'll never hear a word you say.
#65 May 13 2010 at 11:52 PM Rating: Excellent
**
736 posts


Me too.
I'm quite sick of the whole 'it's an option because we provide it, not because we've actually made sure it's viable' angle. How much of the game is actual choice vs. illusion of choice is a great concern of mine as well.











#66 May 14 2010 at 7:42 PM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
Quote:
I am sorta nervous about how it will work out. A lot of the game's potential depends on the community and it's acceptance of different ideas.
As it is now, at least in FFXI (I can't speak for other MMOs, as I haven't played any others), people only want the most efficient. The job/subjob system allows for a ton of different ideas. There are 20 jobs to choose from, and you can main/sub any combo you desire. Some just work way, way better than others. While a few may offer you some unique playstyles or advantages, the community will -only- accept the combinations that have proven to be the most effective. Try for anything outside of that, and you're screwed, basically.


I think that you are correct in most of what you say here. But there is a reason. A lot of people who are playing FFXI are trying to get the most out of the playtime that they have. (I'm sure this is the same for most MMOs but I couldn't tell you for certain) So they will only use "the best" set-up for the desired outcome. I understood this when I played FFXI, so while seeking a party with my DRG I would be ready with the "desired" sub-jobs. Even if it wasn't exactly how I wanted to use my character. No, I'm not going to get into the fight of "DNC can't ever be a sub for DRG" But to avoid that fight and less party invites I left trying DRG/DNC to my own time. In solo or campaign. Or in a party of people I've known long enough to say " Hey guys, I wanna try this combo out to see if it's any good. You mind?"

Back to the original point. I think the community is going to be pretty similar, so if you plan on playing from the start then you'll be trying everything out right along with everyone else. If you plan on jumping in after "the norm" has been established (if there is a norm) then you'll have to solo to try out your own special combos or find a group who's not going to care.
Speaking as someone who tried to party as a THF/WHM when I first got my subjob... I'll never judge, so you and your freaky combos are welcome in my party. Unless you keep getting me killed, then you take your weird, good for nothin, watered down, should be using _____ skills instead self and conform or find another party. ;)
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#67 May 14 2010 at 7:55 PM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
ReiThor wrote:
I think that you are correct in most of what you say here. But there is a reason. A lot of people who are playing FFXI are trying to get the most out of the playtime that they have. (I'm sure this is the same for most MMOs but I couldn't tell you for certain) So they will only use "the best" set-up for the desired outcome. I understood this when I played FFXI, so while seeking a party with my DRG I would be ready with the "desired" sub-jobs. Even if it wasn't exactly how I wanted to use my character. No, I'm not going to get into the fight of "DNC can't ever be a sub for DRG" But to avoid that fight and less party invites I left trying DRG/DNC to my own time. In solo or campaign. Or in a party of people I've known long enough to say " Hey guys, I wanna try this combo out to see if it's any good. You mind?"

I must say, some of the most fun I had in FFXI was after I pimped out my WHM/NIN combo and merited with my fellow linkshell members. Though I wasn't as good as a top-of-the-line DD, since full-on curing WHM weren't really needed in good merit parties, it made more sense for me to do more with my job. That being said, I really hope that they give the cure-focused class more flexibility this time around so that we don't feel like completely useless heal-******** I know that there is supposed to be more customization, but I hope even the "norm" that is established allows for a DD component as well. If everyone else wipes when the NM has less than 1%, instead of my waiting for my squishy self to get hit, I'd like my "holy" or equivalent to do more than 4 points of damage. >.> Or at least be able to draw a weapon slightly more intimidating than a club...
#68 May 25 2010 at 1:23 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
93 posts
I think I'll have to wait and see what each race really looks like in terms of animation before I make my decision. I already know I want to focus more on melee this time around, though.

One of my biggest mistakes in FFXI was made when I rushed through character creation without viewing all of my options. I was so excited to finally have the game... I wanted to get going!

Well... as time went on I reached level 18 and got my subjob (pain in the **** during the early PS2 release) and really started to envy the other races' attack animations. The Hume animations began to look so boring compared to others IMO. I decided to keep going on my Hume though, because I had already gone through (what I thought at the time was) so much. Haha, BIG MISTAKE!!! Later I ended up creating a new character after reaching level 50 (tough times back then!). Stupid? Probably, but animations became very important once I began to realize just how much time each level after 50 was going to take back in those days. That said, I still don't really have regrets about it. If I hadn't created a new character I would probably not have met some of my best in game friends, and I never did grow tired of the Elvaan attack animations.
#69 May 25 2010 at 5:19 AM Rating: Decent
**
459 posts
Bluefirefly wrote:
I must say, some of the most fun I had in FFXI was after I pimped out my WHM/NIN combo and merited with my fellow linkshell members. Though I wasn't as good as a top-of-the-line DD, since full-on curing WHM weren't really needed in good merit parties, it made more sense for me to do more with my job. That being said, I really hope that they give the cure-focused class more flexibility this time around so that we don't feel like completely useless heal-******** I know that there is supposed to be more customization, but I hope even the "norm" that is established allows for a DD component as well. If everyone else wipes when the NM has less than 1%, instead of my waiting for my squishy self to get hit, I'd like my "holy" or equivalent to do more than 4 points of damage. >.> Or at least be able to draw a weapon slightly more intimidating than a club...


they seem to be folding support abilities in with "classes" that have other genres of abilities. most notably, the Conjurer appears to hold both black and white magic so it certainly seems feasible that if you develop in only a single discipline (though it's unlikely you'll want or need to) that you would be reasonably well rounded and capable of soloing. solo play was a major focus of development in FFXIV, so i think you should plan your character to cover a few bases.

AmanoJ wrote:
As it is now, at least in FFXI (I can't speak for other MMOs, as I haven't played any others), people only want the most efficient.


the backward culture of FFXI developed because of many problems, and the developers claim to have made efforts to differentiate XIV from it. you can and should do your part to combat the ridiculous expectations of stereotype by playing the kind of character you want to.

what's the point of letting others tell you how to play a game that you're paying for? you're the one playing, you do as you like.
____________________________
BANNED
#70 May 25 2010 at 7:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
37 posts
At this point I have my heart set on remaking my FFXI characters, so my first character in FFXIV will most definitely be Miqo'te. As far as classes go, I'm stuck between Pugilist and Archer, though I may try my hand at making a hybrid class if the speculation in this thread holds true.
#71 May 25 2010 at 11:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
556 posts
I'm torn as to what race to be. Those **** Lalafells are growing on me! Torn between Elezen Shader or Dunesfolk Lalafell. As for classes no matter what race I am, I will be leveling Pugilist, Thaumaturge, Alchemy, Botany, Fishing and Cooking! And all the classes that help those classes be better :)
____________________________
Jayy Submor-Hyperion-Slash Flex
#72 May 25 2010 at 11:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
556 posts
Ralrra wrote:
LaFey wrote:
there's still two base magic classes yet to be revealed

I recall someone saying they saw a Lalafell Druid at Gamescom, and I thought someone also mentioned Illusionist somewhere as well.


You know whats funny. I swear I saw somewhere posted under the DoM: Illusionist. I even think it was on an official site, it was later changed to Conjurer and Thaumaturge! I figured it was a mistake or a translation error, but maybe not. I'm betting Illusionist, and Minstrel will be DoM classes! Also I really do think Alchemist are going to be healers in groups, sorta like the Chemist in FFT!
____________________________
Jayy Submor-Hyperion-Slash Flex
#73 May 25 2010 at 7:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
33 posts
Red ,white, blue, black, i know that black is dark, white is pure and blue and red are a mix of them. Do y'll think they might add a time mage? if so i would like to be a Seawolf Roegadyn Time mage, maybe i would be able to fly., or stop time. What do y'll guys think?
#74 May 26 2010 at 11:15 AM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
Quote:
Also I really do think Alchemist are going to be healers in groups, sorta like the Chemist in FFT!

That wouldn't be a bad use for them, but I would imagine that's an in-party skill they may attain. They're listed under DoH, so far those classes don't seem to have much going for them in terms of battle.

Quote:
Red ,white, blue, black, i know that black is dark, white is pure and blue and red are a mix of them. Do y'll think they might add a time mage? if so i would like to be a Seawolf Roegadyn Time mage, maybe i would be able to fly., or stop time. What do y'll guys think?


Seems to me that you're thinking much along the lines of FFXI with colored magics. I'm not saying that you're wrong. I just think we are getting different ideas of the new class system in FFXIV. That said it would be pretty cool to see a Green/Time Mage in some form or another.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#75 May 26 2010 at 11:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
157 posts
So far Im leaning toward a Wood Elf Archer, but I also am thinking a little more outside the box with a Roegadyn Pugilist. Its really going to be tough for me to make up my mind until the creation screen is on my monitor.... In the end, Im probably going to play all of them.
#76 May 27 2010 at 4:41 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
I just hope that the full list of classes/options we end up with has some sort of semblance to the classes we know and love from FF lore. Unfortunately what i have seen so far worries me. The classes/jobs in FF11 all seemed to be so flavorful and unique. I just fear that with the system we are getting our characters will be more "Dude with an axe and dude with a sword" than "Red Mage or Paladin".

Of course i do not know the full range of customization that we will be able to achieve with this armory system. It maybe possible to have a mix of equpiment and purchased skills (no such purchasing system has been revealed i just hope there is something akin to talent trees to help with the customization) that one would be able to make a Redmage or a Dark Knight and not just a conglomeration of abilities that has no real focus or theme.

I have high hopes for FF14 (which i call FF11-2, not a bad things because i love FF11) and here is hoping that our Murauders and Gladiators can be jerry-rigged into our beloved jobs of old ^_^.
#77 May 27 2010 at 11:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
437 posts
I'm deciding between Lalafell and Roe unless by chance more races are announced . I'm leaning more to Dunesfolk Lalafell right now and as for class that will come down to options at release. I still deciding on my name right now lol Once I'm concrete with that everything else will pan out. I want to make sure I'm looking at all my options this time before I rush into anything. As for crafts all the above I think Im going to start with Blacksmith.
#78 May 28 2010 at 8:00 AM Rating: Good
**
459 posts
chambir wrote:
I just hope that the full list of classes/options we end up with has some sort of semblance to the classes we know and love from FF lore. Unfortunately what i have seen so far worries me. The classes/jobs in FF11 all seemed to be so flavorful and unique. I just fear that with the system we are getting our characters will be more "Dude with an axe and dude with a sword" than "Red Mage or Paladin".


what's in a name? a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet!

was a paladin really so much than "a guy with a sword"? with greater flexibility in designing your character, freed from the restrictions of a rigidly-defined class system, your character will be -- by definition -- more flavorful than "guy with a sword".
____________________________
BANNED
#79 May 28 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Quote:
what's in a name? a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet!

was a paladin really so much than "a guy with a sword"? with greater flexibility in designing your character, freed from the restrictions of a rigidly-defined class system, your character will be -- by definition -- more flavorful than "guy with a sword".


Thank you for responding and your opinion ^_^. Yes the rose would still smell sweet and it would also retain the characteristics that make it unique. Thorns, red/white/purple etc. petals, the distinct rose shape. While i am not looking for a regidly-defined class system, i am looking for some familiarity within the mechanics and combinations themselves. That is what makes all of the Final Fantasy games special in my opinion. Going through the game and saying "Oh Cid got jump, hes a dragoon" or "Khimari is a blue mage". It is part of what i think made final fantasy 11 so special to me; the spells, recognizable AF armor, the summons etc.

I just hope there will be viable options for people like me that wish to create these series staples using the armory system. What i wouldnt enjoy is if everyone became interchangeable much like the characters became in final fantasy 12. I am completely optimistic, however, and I am hoping the armory systems will be so rich with options and limitations that we will be able to make whatever type of character we want. I think i might just be suffering from lack-of-information syndrom ^_^.
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)