Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Titles: How do you feel about them?Follow

#1 May 04 2010 at 7:54 PM Rating: Excellent
**
562 posts
Heir to the Holy Crest, Horizon Breaker, Paragon of _______ Excellence.
Titles we've all seen when /checking people in FFXI. Some gave us a chuckle, some were far too common (Mog's Loving Master) some you had to look up cause you'd never heard of it before.

Is this something you'd like to see return in FFXIV? Is there a change to the system you'd want to see done? I liked titles. I'd like to see them come back, and can't really think of any reason why it wouldn't work.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#2 May 04 2010 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
I would definitely like to see this come back. It was one of my favorite 'little things' in the game.

I loved being a Taru-Taru murder suspect ;)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#3 May 04 2010 at 8:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I would love for them to return but maybe this time around they have some historic significance in Eorzea and maybe some scholars (historian NPCs) in each city that can tell you about these titles. For example: say I finish a quest and I get the title "The lone warrior". The scholars would tell you of a tale of a "lone warrior" who took down a great army back in blah blah and did this and that and so on and so forth. Hopefully a lot cooler than this but hope you get my point, I think it'd be more of an incentive or more fun to get these titles.
____________________________
MUTED
#4 May 04 2010 at 8:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
89 posts
I enjoyed them, but having your title constantly be replaced because of kills or quests was annoying. I'd like a list of titles in my menu I can choose from at any time. Instead of replacing your current title, when you get a new one its just added to your list of options.

Or if they want to keep the current go-to-a-bard-in-town-to-sing-your-praises method at least have an option like "You earned the title 'Destroyer of Worlds'! Replace title 'Alpha and Omega' with newly acquired title? Yes or No?" when you get a new title.


Also if they displayed somehow without having to be inspected... :P
____________________________
He who has injured thee was either stronger or weaker than thee. If weaker, spare him; if stronger, spare thyself.
-William Shakespeare
#5 May 04 2010 at 9:12 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
I never cared about titles...though I can't quite put my finger on why that is. Perhaps it was the fact that you got a title for almost any quest, and there wasn't really any discernible difference that let you know that one was harder earned than another.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#6 May 04 2010 at 9:12 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
How did that double post? I only pushed the button once...

Edited, May 4th 2010 11:13pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#7 May 04 2010 at 9:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Titles weren't anything special in FFXI, but they could be in FFXIV if they granted a bonus for "equipping" a certain title (or obtaining a collection/combination of titles). But the flip side is that you wouldn't want the titles to bear too much benefit...it could be simple things like movement speed +10%, nothing game breaking in and of itself.
____________________________
War 75 Nin75 Sam75
#8 May 04 2010 at 9:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
121 posts
I'll have to disagree with that. Titles should be entirely cosmetic. If they come after the completion of a certain encounter, not only do you already have "bragging rights" to having completed that fight, whatever other rewards that came along with it either after the "boss" or at the end of the quest line should be reward enough. Equipping certain titles to gain any kind of bonus, whether "game breaking" or not (and 10% movement speed is a lot, especially for run speed), will create another kind of elitism or expectation for certain jobs. (ie. You don't have "X" title for "Y" bonus, we don't want you to tank). While this won't ALWAYS be the case, the really good titles/bonuses will give people that much of an edge.

A way to access them easier and actually show up in your name would be nice as well. And give other users the option to turn off viewing titles in an "interface" type menu (yes, WoW influenced, though I'm sure other games have done it) so that those who don't want as much text clutter on their screen don't have to see it. I really enjoyed the randomness, but also the fun of the titles in FFXI - I hope they continue with that and give us more options to view/use them.
#9 May 04 2010 at 10:00 PM Rating: Decent
Dik wrote:
Titles weren't anything special in FFXI, but they could be in FFXIV if they granted a bonus for "equipping" a certain title (or obtaining a collection/combination of titles). But the flip side is that you wouldn't want the titles to bear too much benefit...it could be simple things like movement speed +10%, nothing game breaking in and of itself.


10% movement speed is a very substantial bonus. There's a very distinct reason why the boot enchant of choice for dps and even tanks in WoW is one that grants +8% movement speed, and that's not something that would be exclusive to WoW. FFXIV is supposed to be largely about the mobility...look at the number of classes that need to maintain a certain range and/or location for their attacks to be most effective. Titles shouldn't come with their own rewards. The rewards would idealy come alongside the title...the title is just icing on the cake.
#10 May 04 2010 at 10:22 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Not sure what Dik or I did to merit a rate down in this thread. C'mon now folks, the forums are for discussing ideas and sharing opinions. Rating someone down simply because you disagree with them isn't really productive.

Anyway, I was responding again to try to figure out some way to help the issue I mentioned before. Maybe it would help if there was a simple ranking system for titles? Like, give a color code to the text that indicated the difficulty of the task associated with the title? Spam a repeatable fetch quest, and your title is white. Take down a difficult NM, and your title is red.

Something like that maybe? I'm shooting from the hip here, so I'm sure it could use some work. I just feel like the titles in FFXI didn't give much indication of the difficulty of their quests. There were some cool titles that could be gained by a 2 minute solo quest, for example. So maybe adding something like this would help convey the difficulty better.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#11 May 04 2010 at 10:55 PM Rating: Good
Eske wrote:
Not sure what Dik or I did to merit a rate down in this thread. C'mon now folks, the forums are for discussing ideas and sharing opinions. Rating someone down simply because you disagree with them isn't really productive.


Don't feel bad...they were probably aiming for me.
#12 May 04 2010 at 11:08 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
I really loved the titles in FFXI, especially the silly ones you could earn. I loved seeing people with funny titles, asking how they got them, then trying to earn them myself! I do hope they come back in FFXIV, whichever way they choose to implement it.

Although, I agree that they shouldn't have any actual stat bonus. Isn't getting the title itself a bonus enough? Like, I was so proud when I got my first Paragon of Excellence title. Then it got replaced a couple hours later with Discerning Individual. :x
#13 May 05 2010 at 12:13 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
597 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
10% movement speed is a very substantial bonus. There's a very distinct reason why the boot enchant of choice for dps and even tanks in WoW is one that grants +8% movement speed, and that's not something that would be exclusive to WoW. FFXIV is supposed to be largely about the mobility...look at the number of classes that need to maintain a certain range and/or location for their attacks to be most effective. Titles shouldn't come with their own rewards. The rewards would idealy come alongside the title...the title is just icing on the cake.


Tuskarr's Vitality is good for tanks, but DPS can do better with either Icewalker (if below hit cap) or Greater Assault (+44 AP). I guess if you really need the mobility, it'd be a good enchant, but it's probably easier to get the bonus via talents.

In any event, Aion attached some minor stat increases to titles after you completed certain quest chains and the like, so it's not like it can't be done. It would need to be done with care though, so you don't have people ragging on you for not having the "Doombringer" title which grants +1000000 HP when you try and get a group.
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#14 May 05 2010 at 12:54 AM Rating: Decent
Quanta wrote:
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
10% movement speed is a very substantial bonus. There's a very distinct reason why the boot enchant of choice for dps and even tanks in WoW is one that grants +8% movement speed, and that's not something that would be exclusive to WoW. FFXIV is supposed to be largely about the mobility...look at the number of classes that need to maintain a certain range and/or location for their attacks to be most effective. Titles shouldn't come with their own rewards. The rewards would idealy come alongside the title...the title is just icing on the cake.


Tuskarr's Vitality is good for tanks, but DPS can do better with either Icewalker (if below hit cap) or Greater Assault (+44 AP). I guess if you really need the mobility, it'd be a good enchant, but it's probably easier to get the bonus via talents.


I don't want to turn this into a WoW theorycrafting thread, but the reason why movement speed is a better all-around enchant in all but straight-up tank 'n spank encounters is because it scales with your other stats. All kinds of math has been done to determine how much time you have to spend moving over the course of a 10 minute encounter relative to other stats before the movement speed overtakes them in terms of overall benefit, and it's always a matter of seconds. That's the kind of math that will carry over to any MMO, which is the only reason I brought it up here. That, however, is about as far as I feel it would be fair to discuss it without totally derailing a thread about titles :P
#15 May 05 2010 at 6:11 AM Rating: Good
**
423 posts
I liked them i just did not like random assignment of them. I wish you got it added to a list that you could select and choose which one to display or not.

Would be great for people to show off and great for those to goof around if there is a funny/silly one.

If they come back i just really hope you are not assigned one for randomly finishing a useless quest and then reassigned one again on the next quest. It really had no rhyme or reason last time.
#16 May 05 2010 at 7:26 AM Rating: Good
*
107 posts
I love titles as well. I am hoping they are in XIV. I liked it when I came across one I had not seen before. If they are in XIV, I hope they are selectable and kept to /check only. With already having 2 names, the screen could get super cluttered with first name, last name and a title above or below the 2 names.
____________________________
FFXI Hazero, Elvan PLD, retiered.
CoV, King Ghidora, Dominator retired
AoC, Mecha Ghidora, Dark Templar retired
Tabula Rasa, Super King, Grenadier retired
SWG, Hazero Ghidora, retired
DCUO, Crushlordian Earth Tank Retired
#17 May 05 2010 at 7:40 AM Rating: Excellent
*
67 posts
If they bring them back I hope they have plenty of wierd, wacky, and comiedic titles. I always prefered those over the accomplishment ones.
#18 May 05 2010 at 7:51 AM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
Quote:
Anyway, I was responding again to try to figure out some way to help the issue I mentioned before. Maybe it would help if there was a simple ranking system for titles? Like, give a color code to the text that indicated the difficulty of the task associated with the title? Spam a repeatable fetch quest, and your title is white. Take down a difficult NM, and your title is red.


I like this idea. I guess guildleve quests for a title would easily fall into a difficulty rating, but how would you rate something like the Mog's bed quest? Would it be easy because "It's just buying something" or would it be a little more difficult because the items are slightly difficult to come by?

Quote:
. I wish you got it added to a list that you could select and choose which one to display or not.


This isn't a bad idea, except I see it never changing. Someone would get a great title because of ________, then everyone would go do the same thing and next thing you know anyone you check is <Name> "Bringer of Awesomeness"



Edited, May 5th 2010 9:52am by ReiThor
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#19 May 05 2010 at 7:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,949 posts
At least one title in XI already provides an in-game bonus:
Wiki wrote:
When a player earns the title "Babban's Traveling Companion", Lycopodium following the person will use a Regen move on that player, which gives 3 HP/tick for 3 minutes.

There's at least one other instance where you need the right title for something to happen: To unlock the "sky" warp you need to set your title to "Warrior of the Crystal" for the portals to register you.

With the amount of titles and the difficulty of testing them all, there might be a number of other bonuses hidden within title that nobody has figured out.

Edited, May 5th 2010 9:52am by Lianda
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#20 May 05 2010 at 8:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
121 posts
Quote:
In any event, Aion attached some minor stat increases to titles after you completed certain quest chains and the like, so it's not like it can't be done. It would need to be done with care though, so you don't have people ragging on you for not having the "Doombringer" title which grants +1000000 HP when you try and get a group.


So why not just add those bonuses to other things in the game that make more sense in terms of gameplay or lore? Like item enhancements, food items, armour set bonuses, etc. IMO, it should be just for kicks and giggles. If we want to avoid people all having the same name as was mentioned above (ie. the Badpunaboutmarijuananame Jenkins plague that was in WoW for a while), *NOT* having any bonuses will help remedy that. And having the same varied and entertaining titles from FFXI will surely tickle people differently and cause them to choose different titles. Endgame titles or hard quest line titles will surely get over used when first earned, but there's little you can do about that and who can fault people for wanting to brag for a while.
#21 May 05 2010 at 8:16 AM Rating: Good
**
346 posts
I like the title system.
There shouldn't be bonuses attached to titles.

edit: Upon first glancing the title of the thread my early morning bleary eyes saw titles in a different way. I saw it with no L and an extra T, my first thought was I LOVE THEM!

Edited, May 5th 2010 10:34am by Elmyrsun
#22 May 05 2010 at 10:55 AM Rating: Good
***
1,446 posts
I would be shocked if this game (or really any MMO coming out any time soon) did not have titles and achievements. Personally I like both and think they are an important part of this type of game because it offers proof of deeds done as well as something fun to strive for when there are just those "fun" achievements or titles.
____________________________
Kyansaroo - Kujata
Windurst Rank 10
Tarutaru
BLM 75 / WHM 75 / BST 75 / RDM 75 / BRD 75
Next to 75: COR 47 / SCH 58
RotZ: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: In-Progress
WoTG: In-Progress
#23 May 05 2010 at 11:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
LebargeX wrote:
I would definitely like to see this come back. It was one of my favorite 'little things' in the game.

I loved being a Taru-Taru murder suspect ;)

Insignificant Adventurer FTW.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#24 May 05 2010 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
**
603 posts
I think they should add titles again, it was a fun little added feature. I wouldn't mind if they added a little bit more to it though. I remember in Ultima Online if you reached a certain level of fame you would get a "Lord" status attached to your actual name. Might be cool if in FFXIV they added something to that effect - i.e. reach a certain level of skills in a certain class to get a "Knight" status that actually showed before your name.
#25 May 05 2010 at 12:47 PM Rating: Good
*
107 posts
Vampire Hunter D-Minus FTW
____________________________
FFXI Hazero, Elvan PLD, retiered.
CoV, King Ghidora, Dominator retired
AoC, Mecha Ghidora, Dark Templar retired
Tabula Rasa, Super King, Grenadier retired
SWG, Hazero Ghidora, retired
DCUO, Crushlordian Earth Tank Retired
#26 May 05 2010 at 2:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
340 posts
There definitely should not be stat bonuses tied to titles for all of the reasons listed above. I think Lineage 1 actually had an interesting title system. Any player over level 40 that was not in a Blood Pledge (Guild/Linkshell) could create his/her own title. Prince/Princesses could assign titles to their followers however they saw fit, usually relative to their duties. I actually enjoyed making my own title at times, it was a little fun and made my character a little bit more "mine".

With that said, achievement based titles offer bragging rights, which are something that, like it or not, people enjoy to do in an MMO. If you complete something rare, hard, or difficult then there should be a reward for that. Perhaps a notoriety of some kind. It could also help you get in a group with Japanese or European players who might not take a chance on you otherwise.

It either needs to be everywhere or nowhere though. There are so many titles in WoW, that my Rogue has dang near a dozen titles ranging from the mundane to the elite. I think it would be much more interesting to restrict titles to crafting and fishing guilds though as a means to market their craft and reflect their investment.
____________________________
WoW Blackhand-US-Date of Retirement: 9/21/2010... /Sigh
Devari - 90 Rogue 85 DK Druid/Mage/Warrior 70+

FFXI - Shiva "Retired.... Or not? One more try, honest."
Desmar - 65 Sam 36 Mnk 18 Thf 12 War

FFXIV - Devari Garamond - Sargatanas 50 Paladin / Culinarian / Weaver / Armorer
Beta - Devaria Ariadne - Ultros - Pugilist
#27 May 05 2010 at 2:15 PM Rating: Good
I like having visible titles for random accomplishments as long as they weren't obnoxiously long, and would like to be able to "lock"/"set" them so I didn't loose a cool one every time I did a minor quest. I would also prefer them to be purely cosmetic, both for balance reasons and so everyone isn't walking around with the same title just so they can get X stat.

ffxi fav: Honorary Doctorate, Majoring in Tonberries (for visible title change to something like "<name> Tonberry PhD."?)
WoW Favs: "<name> champion of the frozen wastes"/"<name> the undying"

FFXI had cooler titles IMO, I wish they were visible Smiley: glare

Edited, May 5th 2010 4:25pm by shintasama
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#28 May 05 2010 at 2:40 PM Rating: Good
*
145 posts
I think Titles should defiantly have a come back. They should also be harder to earn and less frequent, perhaps making the requirements more intricate and intertwined with multiple tasks. For me, making them harder to earn and less frequent would be more of an incentive to try and collect them all. Which could prove as a fun side challenge.
#29 May 05 2010 at 3:28 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
ReiThor wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, I was responding again to try to figure out some way to help the issue I mentioned before. Maybe it would help if there was a simple ranking system for titles? Like, give a color code to the text that indicated the difficulty of the task associated with the title? Spam a repeatable fetch quest, and your title is white. Take down a difficult NM, and your title is red.


I like this idea. I guess guildleve quests for a title would easily fall into a difficulty rating, but how would you rate something like the Mog's bed quest? Would it be easy because "It's just buying something" or would it be a little more difficult because the items are slightly difficult to come by?


That's a very good question! I have no idea : /
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#30 May 05 2010 at 4:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
630 posts
I really liked the use of titles....BUUTTT I also hate having my screen cluttered with everyone's name and title, especially if we allow colors. I don't want to see a rainbow every time I enter town. If it is included I hope they also include an option to disable the showing of titles.

I really hope they include a lot of titles with the option to choose any of the titles you previously held.

Just re-reading the thread, I love the option for create your own title! I would only want this to be available after completing a difficult task (maybe something along the lines of the CoP expansion before making your own title).

Edited, May 5th 2010 6:08pm by burtonsnow
#31 May 05 2010 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,416 posts
I loved a lot of the titles in XI and I think that they are a great idea, however I also think that bonuses tied to them are not. I didn't like the use of titles in Aion for that reason.

My XI favs include Conqueror of Fate, Master of Chance, The Paragon of Excellence(s) and recently Ladykiller. I also hope they are selectable from a menu this time around.

I don't want bonuses to be tied to them because I believe I will eventually get sick of seeing the same titles everywhere I look. I could live with this if there is a way to turn them off if they happen to be displayed next to/under the char name. Although, if there are titles in the game, I would like to see them more often than not.
____________________________
Abort, Retry, Fail?
TeamAFK!

/equip Head Knowledge
You gain the latent effect of Power.
#32 May 05 2010 at 5:54 PM Rating: Excellent
**
562 posts
Titles were part of the reason I would /check someone. Sure I wanted to know what helmet you're wearing, but Whoa! you just did __________? Nice!

I wouldn't want titles to be floating on screen with your character's name, I'd MUCH rather they stayed in the /check menu.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#33 May 05 2010 at 11:36 PM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,804 posts
Aurelius wrote:
Titles shouldn't come with their own rewards. The rewards would ideally come alongside the title...the title is just icing on the cake.

Personally, I'd like titles more if they were effectively another equipment slot. I don't care much for purely fluff features.
#34 May 06 2010 at 12:43 AM Rating: Decent
37 posts
I like the idea of having titles. Whether to show off a certain achievement or having one you think sounds cool. It's all gravy.

For the statistical bonuses some are suggesting. I hope they don't go the route of Aion. You will see titles that everyone will have, just because it eke's out a few more points of "insert whatever stat here" and you will be "a scrub" if you choose otherwise.

I actually prefer the way one F2P MMO decided to do bonuses for titles. Each title you earned granted you a bonus of 5 maximum HP. It actually gave some incentive to go questing after hitting max level, and the bonus was static between all classes. And I think it's fair to say that HP (especially in this particular game) was of importance for any class. So it didn't create any sort of balancing issues.
____________________________
Eric Hoffer wrote:
There are many who find a good alibi far more attractive than an achievement. For an achievement does not settle anything permanently. We still have to prove our worth anew each day: we have to prove that we are as good today as we were yesterday. But when we have a valid alibi for not achieving anything we are fixed, so to speak, for life.
#35 May 06 2010 at 2:08 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
597 posts
ReiThor wrote:
Titles were part of the reason I would /check someone. Sure I wanted to know what helmet you're wearing, but Whoa! you just did __________? Nice!

I wouldn't want titles to be floating on screen with your character's name, I'd MUCH rather they stayed in the /check menu.


You don't like having big titles in your face? ;)
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#36 May 06 2010 at 9:11 AM Rating: Decent
Allegory wrote:
Aurelius wrote:
Titles shouldn't come with their own rewards. The rewards would ideally come alongside the title...the title is just icing on the cake.

Personally, I'd like titles more if they were effectively another equipment slot. I don't care much for purely fluff features.


The only thing I would have against that is as other people mentioned...sooner or later it would be commonly known which titles were the "best" and bye-bye diversity as people use them to min/max. I think there's lots of room in MMOs for things that aren't directly related to combat performance and titles are suited to being one of them. Usually speaking, you already get a reward of some kind when you complete a quest/series that grants a title. That ought to be enough.
#37 May 06 2010 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
133 posts
I'd love to see them make a return. I was always checking people just to see their titles. My favorite was always Have Wings, Will Fly.
____________________________
Now Go,
Stand up to a giant!
Said that I'm a fighter.
Too drunk to remember.
Too drunk to..
#38 May 06 2010 at 1:03 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
With people mentioning about titles cluttering up screens, it reminds me of how well FFXI kept everything visually tidy. I'd definitely prefer it if titles were kept in an inspection-type style, or at the very most on select/mouse-over.

I loved how the linkshells were icons rather than displaying the full name, too. You could still tell when people were in the same linkshell, and a lot of the time you could recognize people just from their linkshell color.
#39 May 06 2010 at 5:18 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
121 posts
A number of people have mentioned not wanting to get cluttered screens from titles and guild/ls/whatever names by/under/around people's names. What I'd like to see SE do to remedy this is twofold: First, they should implement a font that is manageable and possibly give us the option to either change or at the very least resize it. Secondly, they should provide us with the option to display or not display people's 1) Names (first and last) 2) Guild names 3) titles. If you wanna check someone for their title? Done. If you'd rather leave it on and see it, great. I found it a pain to have to check someone and sort through all the info that would come with that in the textbox, especially when I upgraded to PC and had a widescreen monitor. I'm sure many others didn't mind it. The more options SE gives us to customize these little things, the happier we'll all be.

#40 May 06 2010 at 5:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
dalm wrote:
The more options SE gives us to customize these little things, the happier we'll all be.



The majority of all these discussions boil down to this single point. The more options we have to choose from (while maintaining simplicity) the more likely we are to stick w/ the game...because we get to have it how we want it!
#41 May 06 2010 at 7:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
I skipped over some of the posts, so sorry if it was already mentioned :P

In Vanguard the title system let you add one before your name and one after, so you could get things like "The Couragous ______ Knight Errant", Any title you earned was selectable in one or the other slot.

I felt it was a rather nice settup. Eventualy they added venders who sold titles for hefty amounts so you could get some titles for RP without the need to do some of the quests, since they were spread over three continents it was tough (at best) to get some of the titles is you started out on another continent.
#42 May 10 2010 at 11:25 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
33 posts
I really like the idea of being able to select your title. That way it says more about you than what quest you just came from or what monster you just killed - instead it says something about your personality or your accomplishments. Yeah, if there's a title like "_____ the epic" you're going to get a ton of people choosing it and thinking they're totally hilarious, but that will say something about them as well :P If I spent forever waiting for some rare mob to spawn and got some special title from it, I could display that because I'm proud of myself - alternatively, I'd love to have a funny title up (like "murder suspect" as someone said earlier haha). I would like to have a lot you had to earn, and then maybe you could buy some - like "____ the Opulent" could be some intentionally-overpriced title that you had to save up for (just to show off how rich you were haha). Maybe even something like "______ the Vagrant" for just 1 gil :P
#43 May 16 2010 at 11:12 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,431 posts
Lianda wrote:
At least one title in XI already provides an in-game bonus:
Wiki wrote:
When a player earns the title "Babban's Traveling Companion", Lycopodium following the person will use a Regen move on that player, which gives 3 HP/tick for 3 minutes.

There's at least one other instance where you need the right title for something to happen: To unlock the "sky" warp you need to set your title to "Warrior of the Crystal" for the portals to register you.

With the amount of titles and the difficulty of testing them all, there might be a number of other bonuses hidden within title that nobody has figured out.

Edited, May 5th 2010 9:52am by Lianda


Exactly what I was going to mention.
Titles in FFXI are a blast, but I would definitely ask for what others have requested too. A personal list to choose from that grows with each addition (in lieu of an npc holding a select few that you have to pay to reequip), as well as a system where you can lock your title in place.

I loved running around with the title Bye-bye, Taisai for killing Taisaijin shortly after it's release. There was so much confusion on the mob itself and it was so ridiculously rare to even see the thing that it started a lot of good conversations. It's something like having a very unique piece of gear, people would like to know about it.
It made for some pretty funny situations, actually, including a large group of JPs all /cheering me after one saw the title, which cracked me up. :P It was just annoying when some little fetch quest would paste a new title there instead.

But.. I wouldn't mind seeing some more effects tied to the titles, like the one listed above. I would not want stat boosts or other things that might give an edge... but little things that could be considered fun, or extra... things that wouldn't interfere with the game, I wouldn't mind. And perhaps the effects list for the titles would just be added along with the title itself, so you could choose a title and effect as you earned them. I don't know... it would just be a lot more fun to collect each and every title that way, in my opinion.
As it is right now in FFXI, the only titles worth REALLY getting are the 2 mentioned and the ones that are extremely rare in the game... or perhaps just one that strikes you as funny. The rest happen incidentally. I'd like to see them as goals themselves. Little rewards like cosmetic changes (maybe even some costume stuff or recoloring), or pointless enjoyable little extras would be pretty neat. Perhaps you could wear a title that gives you a JA with a 24 hour cooldown that puts you in a bunny costume for 5 mins on use (like enchanted event gear). :P Just something small.

____________________________
~Phoenix / Figaro~
--
Little angel go away,
come again some other day.
The devil has my ear today,
I'll never hear a word you say.
#44 May 17 2010 at 9:31 AM Rating: Decent
**
346 posts
Quote:
I actually prefer the way one F2P MMO decided to do bonuses for titles. Each title you earned granted you a bonus of 5 maximum HP. It actually gave some incentive to go questing after hitting max level, and the bonus was static between all classes. And I think it's fair to say that HP (especially in this particular game) was of importance for any class. So it didn't create any sort of balancing issues.


On revisit I gotta say I like this method. For the most part I don't like the bonus for title idea because of the "Specific Title A is best, if you don't have it you suck" possibilities, We all know it would happen, don't deny it. But a miniscule stackable bonus that doesn't care what quest you did, just that you did one, is kinda cool.
#45 May 17 2010 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
ReiThor wrote:
Titles were part of the reason I would /check someone. Sure I wanted to know what helmet you're wearing, but Whoa! you just did __________? Nice!

I wouldn't want titles to be floating on screen with your character's name, I'd MUCH rather they stayed in the /check menu.


This this this.

I really liked /checking someone and finding a surprising or interesting title. I know pretty much everyone had it but I love Frozen Dead Body. Hahaha.

Titles being displayed with names just clutters the screen too much and with the addition of last names we're gonna have an interesting time adjusting to all the words over a single character's head.

Also I would hate for bonuses or stat boosts or what have you connected to titles. Like everyone mentioned, it creates another form of elitism (You must have X title in order to party with us) and it basically cuts the "unique" personality you create for your character because more often than not, someone would scrap a preferably named title over one that sounds less appealing but gives that STR+1 or whatever.

But yeah I'm sure that has all been discussed to death and back.
____________________________
Hurrr durrr
#46 May 19 2010 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
43 posts
Titles get old fast, especially if you are forced to wear one you don't like. I would like to see them as cosmetic only (from worthy accomplishments) and be able to choose the title to wear from a drop-down list.
#47 May 19 2010 at 2:35 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
akhenaten wrote:
Titles get old fast, especially if you are forced to wear one you don't like. I would like to see them as cosmetic only (from worthy accomplishments) and be able to choose the title to wear from a drop-down list.
This. I never cared about titles in FFXI because it was too much of a pain to keep the one you wanted that it wasn't worth the bother.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#48 May 19 2010 at 6:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
37 posts
I wouldn't mind seeing titles implemented the way World of WarCraft does it - Choosing one title from however many the player has gained from a little dropdown menu in the character's profile. As has been said, title display may clog up the screen if there are too many players in one area, though IMO the issue could easily be solved with some toggleable options here and there.
#49 May 19 2010 at 6:57 PM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
I understand the line of thinking that it was just too hard to keep one that you wanted. I couldn't tell you how many times I had a new title and it got turned into "Extremely Discerning Individual"

But I think that the idea behind them was to keep them changing, and fresh. Maybe I'm wrong but even very familiar faces seemed to have new titles very often.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#50 May 20 2010 at 5:48 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
Things like titles are always a good thing. They add extra depth and background to the game. Anything like this, that gives people more options, more things to do other than the everyday grinding, etc is a good thing. The more the better.
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#51 May 21 2010 at 2:11 AM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
I like solely titles for adding some flavor to an MMO. If I were to see them in XIV I would hope that they do Not bestow physical bonuses to the player. Otherwise you get into the entire "X job must have Y title equipped against Z target or he suxxorz". I like little meaningless things like titles in MMOs Because the rank and file aren't chasing them... It's just a meaningless little thing to say "I went there/Did that/Completed that story". You start putting stats on them and you create a less diversified progression for the players.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)