Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

New info in the upcoming FamitsuFollow

#1 May 26 2010 at 7:42 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
I'm amazed this hasn't been posted yet.. Anyway, here goes, right from andriasang.com:

Famitsu has an interview with team Final Fantasy XIV this week. Here's a summary of the bullet points that were listed at Game Jouhou:

The Beta version will see some system changes that will make it so that you can more easily string together your attacks.

The alpha test had bad tempo with insufficient explanations. They've made some revisions to the beta, resulting in a completely different system.

It will be easier to save up Gil.

You remember that amazing comparison shot showing how much better the beta looks compared to the alpha? It seems that the beta uses a different technique for its shadows. The alpha version used something called "Project Shadows" while the beta version uses "Depth Buffer Shadows."

The city of Limsa Lominsa will have two levels.

There will be a robust log filter in place. This is something that wasn't finished in time for the alpha.

They're readying something large scale for your home, which functions like FFXI's Mog House.

They'll soon be adding alpha testers as part of the new "alpha 2" phase. They've already selected the participants via drawing!

As you play the game, you'll be able to freely change the god that you select during character making.

Vehicles for FFXIV include Chocobo, horse driven carriage, boat, and air ship.

You'll be able to select different colors for your equipment.

____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#2 May 26 2010 at 8:17 AM Rating: Excellent
*
196 posts
Quote:
Vehicles for FFXIV include Chocobo, horse driven carriage, boat, and air ship.


Highly unlikely, but it would be hilarious if the horse driven carriage can be used to get to party camps.

Party Member 1: Where's Party Member 5?
Party Member 2: Yeah, come on! Hurry it up!
Party Member 5: OMW!
<15 minutes later...>
<Party Member 5 arrives in horse driven carriage>
Party Member 5: Here!
Party Member 4: About time "Your Majesty"!
#3 May 26 2010 at 8:20 AM Rating: Good
Do horses even exist in the FF world?
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#4 May 26 2010 at 8:46 AM Rating: Good
*
170 posts
Great new information. This confirms a few things.

1. Mog Houses in one form or another are back for FFXIV!!!!

2. Chocobo is again a form of transportation (since it was speculated that it may be for inventory, or another use up until now).

3. The slow tempo that has been complained about in the Alpha is not the way SE intends it for the retail version.

4. Alpha 2 is right around the corner and people again will be spamming their mail to see if they got the "golden ticket"

Also, here is the link for the news release since the OP didn't post it.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/26/flying_get/
#5 May 26 2010 at 9:36 AM Rating: Good
oh maw gawd these sound great. Mog house: got, I'm happy.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#6 May 26 2010 at 10:01 AM Rating: Good
*
219 posts
Sounds like great news! Can't wait!
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#7 May 26 2010 at 10:51 AM Rating: Excellent
**
562 posts
Quote:
As you play the game, you'll be able to freely change the god that you select during character making.

Vehicles for FFXIV include Chocobo, horse driven carriage, boat, and air ship.

You'll be able to select different colors for your equipment.


::Checks date...:: It's not April Fools Day, weird.

So maybe the gods that you select at character making do have a bonus with them. It'll be the new gear question. Where are we going to party? Which of the gods should I use for there? Are you sure, cause both Rhalgr & Byregot are lightning?

I can't wait to see a horse driven carriage, but I have feeling that it's going to be used mainly for cut-scenes.

Customizable equipment colors? Yes! A million times yes & thank you! Now if they could just confirm that the crafters have a hand in changing/making different colored equip then I will be completely sold and need to pick up a craft.

Great post! Thanks!
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#8 May 26 2010 at 11:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
157 posts
Good stuff! God I hope I can own my own boat!
#9 May 26 2010 at 12:05 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,614 posts
Quote:
Do horses even exist in the FF world?

Only Odin's, and that has six legs.

But I'm sure this was just a translation issue and they'll be chocobo-drawn.

Quote:
They'll soon be adding alpha testers as part of the new "alpha 2" phase. They've already selected the participants via drawing!

Ack. Alpha 2 now? Didn't the old timeline talk about moving straight into beta from the initial alpha? How much further can it be pushed back?
#10 May 26 2010 at 12:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Borkachev wrote:
Quote:
Do horses even exist in the FF world?

Only Odin's, and that has six legs.

But I'm sure this was just a translation issue and they'll be chocobo-drawn.

Quote:
They'll soon be adding alpha testers as part of the new "alpha 2" phase. They've already selected the participants via drawing!

Ack. Alpha 2 now? Didn't the old timeline talk about moving straight into beta from the initial alpha? How much further can it be pushed back?


I'm pretty sure that as long as it's been known what their schedule actually is, it's always been Alpha > Alpha 2 > Beta.

Now, Alpha 2 might just be a weirdly named Closed Beta, and their official "Beta" might mean open Beta? Possibly...
#11 May 26 2010 at 12:38 PM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
Ack. Alpha 2 now? Didn't the old timeline talk about moving straight into beta from the initial alpha? How much further can it be pushed back?


They've wanted to experiment with two different leveling speeds from the start of testing. They just decided to up the tester number and call it "Alpha 2" instead of calling it "Alpha 1" still. It's not pushed back any more than it is now.

In other news, 3 more tidbits about the interview- unconfirmed, but quite accurate:

They are considering allowing player bazaars to run even while players are logged out.
Players can participate in the the fighting arena and gambling halls in Ul'dah.
Items can be inscribed like in FFXI.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#12 May 26 2010 at 12:42 PM Rating: Default
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Borkachev wrote:
Quote:
Do horses even exist in the FF world?

Only Odin's, and that has six legs.

But I'm sure this was just a translation issue and they'll be chocobo-drawn.

Quote:
They'll soon be adding alpha testers as part of the new "alpha 2" phase. They've already selected the participants via drawing!

Ack. Alpha 2 now? Didn't the old timeline talk about moving straight into beta from the initial alpha? How much further can it be pushed back?


I'm pretty sure that as long as it's been known what their schedule actually is, it's always been Alpha > Alpha 2 > Beta.

Now, Alpha 2 might just be a weirdly named Closed Beta, and their official "Beta" might mean open Beta? Possibly...


Alpha -> Closed Beta -> Open beta is the standard. SE is breaking the mold by allowing the public in on the "alpha" testing at all. Typically speaking in software development circles, alpha testing is done entirely in-house or on a "F&F" basis. Worst case scenario, they're misusing the terms, or using them to try and send a message that the game is far from finalized.
#13 May 26 2010 at 12:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
horse-driven carriage. that's blasfemy!

chocobo union would never allow horses to do a chocobos job.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#14 May 26 2010 at 1:39 PM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
Maybe the Union is weaker now that we haven't heard any word on Mogs. We all know they were the ones running things.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#15 May 26 2010 at 2:54 PM Rating: Decent
18 posts
Quote:
They're readying something large scale for your home, which functions like FFXI's Mog House.

I really hope by 'large scale' they mean something similar to neighborhoods! I want a front yard, a porch, garage sales!!
____________________________
Painfully popping egos one post at a time.
#16 May 26 2010 at 3:04 PM Rating: Excellent
*
170 posts
Quote:
They'll soon be adding alpha testers as part of the new "alpha 2" phase. They've already selected the participants via drawing!


At first when I read this statment, I thought it would only be a few more testers. Then, I realized Tanaka and Komoto spoke about a large expansion of testers for alpha 2.

Here is the exact mention:

Famitsu Exclusive with Tanaka and Komoto wrote:
Will you move on to the beta phase once you have fully examined the growth rate?

Tanaka: Currently, the alpha test takes place on a single World. The next step is to increase the number of Worlds, which will multiply the number of testers. That will be the start of what we call Beta-1, or perhaps Alpha-2.


http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=22214

This leads me to believe that this new round of invites are going to be fairly massive!!!!!
#17 May 26 2010 at 3:21 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,614 posts
EklmForever wrote:
Quote:
They'll soon be adding alpha testers as part of the new "alpha 2" phase. They've already selected the participants via drawing!


At first when I read this statment, I thought it would only be a few more testers. Then, I realized Tanaka and Komoto spoke about a large expansion of testers for alpha 2.

Here is the exact mention:

Famitsu Exclusive with Tanaka and Komoto wrote:
Will you move on to the beta phase once you have fully examined the growth rate?

Tanaka: Currently, the alpha test takes place on a single World. The next step is to increase the number of Worlds, which will multiply the number of testers. That will be the start of what we call Beta-1, or perhaps Alpha-2.


http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=22214

This leads me to believe that this new round of invites are going to be fairly massive!!!!!

Good find. I forgot that they mentioned Beta 1 might be renamed Alpha 2.

The beta schedule they released a couple months ago looked something like this:

1. Alpha test - <10,000 players, one server, a few hours per week
2. Beta 1 - multiple servers, still a few hours per week, but probably gradually increasing. This seems to be what's getting merged or replaced with Alpha 2.
3. Beta 2 - servers run 24 hours a day. Game starts to resemble final product. PS3 testing starts.
4. Open beta - only a few weeks before the official launch. Game is almost complete, but has limited content available (still only one starting city, I think).

Source: http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-04-11/ffxiv_beta_schedule_4_beta_tests_will_be_hold_before_launch.shtml

If they're bringing one or more new servers online for Alpha 2, then we can expect tester numbers to multiply. But I've never heard how many testers they currently have to begin with, so it might only be a few thousand more.

Edited, May 26th 2010 4:23pm by Borkachev
#18 May 26 2010 at 3:25 PM Rating: Excellent
*
170 posts
Borkachev wrote:

Good find. I forgot that they mentioned Beta 1 might be renamed Alpha 2.

The beta schedule they released a couple months ago looked something like this:

1. Alpha test - <10,000 players, one server, a few hours per week
2. Beta 1 - multiple servers, still a few hours per week, but probably gradually increasing. This seems to be what's getting merged or replaced with Alpha 2.
3. Beta 2 - servers run 24 hours a day. Game starts to resemble final product. PS3 testing starts.
4. Open beta - only a few weeks before the official launch. Game is almost complete, but has limited content available (still only one starting city, I think).

Source: http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-04-11/ffxiv_beta_schedule_4_beta_tests_will_be_hold_before_launch.shtml

If they're bringing one or more new servers online for Alpha 2, then we can expect tester numbers to multiply. But I've never heard how many testers they currently have to begin with, so it might only be a few thousand more.

Edited, May 26th 2010 4:23pm by Borkachev


Great find as well! Funny thing is that I was looking for that test schedule when I realized the Famitsu interview with tanaka and Komoto! lol
#19 May 26 2010 at 4:48 PM Rating: Good
***
2,081 posts
Great find OP. I am incredibly happy to hear about the changes to the battle system. I cannot wait to see them in action = )
____________________________


#20ThiefX, Posted: May 26 2010 at 7:30 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) OK It's June and they are just now talking about "Alpha 2". This game is not making 2010.
#21 May 26 2010 at 10:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
656 posts
im sure there are horses in FF1
they were called "Wild Horse" i believe

even bazaar will still be in effect offline, i want them to give more details on the AH or equivalant
____________________________
モスタル


#22 May 26 2010 at 10:10 PM Rating: Excellent
**
495 posts
Quote:
OK It's June and they are just now talking about "Alpha 2". This game is not making 2010.


And what other games have you played where this experience is obvious? I have seen both single player and MMORPGs games in alpha at this stage and then release only 3-4 months later (and more glitchy then this alpha at that). Furthermore it sounds like they are using people to test the content in a VERY different fashion then most MMORPG companies. They are using Alpha as a testing ground for concepts and beta will test for simple bugs after they change stuff around as well as stress test on all their servers. This is different because alpha's are normally supposed to be friends and family only tests and thus there are certain tests that won't happen till beta for a larger group, but those tests are actually happening NOW in Alpha. That is server stability and high population testing of concepts. Server Stability and simple bugs are usually the biggest things that keep an MMORPG from being released on time. Furthermore they aren't even planning to test the other 4/5ths of the game to the public and are planning to do it all internally. We don't know at all just how much of the game is actually done. Look at the 'beta vs alpha' shots and you can see they are clearly on their way already in optimizing the graphics engine too.

Don't use the term Alpha and Beta as a literal factor. Those are just internal statements ment to show the state of the playable game (What is actually functioning for testers) versus what the final product is supposed to look like (final beta stage). This in no way determines the actual amount of time left before the final product. For all we know beta could be a lot faster then alpha because they did all the concept and server stability testing in Alpha.
#23 May 27 2010 at 7:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
626 posts
Quote:
Don't use the term Alpha and Beta as a literal factor. Those are just internal statements ment to show the state of the playable game (What is actually functioning for testers) versus what the final product is supposed to look like (final beta stage). This in no way determines the actual amount of time left before the final product. For all we know beta could be a lot faster then alpha because they did all the concept and server stability testing in Alpha.


great point actually. glad to read that. im unfamiliar with beta and alpha testings so this deffinately makes me feal better considering what ive been seeing on vid leaks.
____________________________

#24 May 27 2010 at 8:18 AM Rating: Excellent
*
170 posts
I 100% agree. We cannot use the terms Alpha and Beta to judge the progress of the game. This is how I see it continuing (worst case) and my reasoning behind it using the timeline Borkachev posted:

Quote:
1. Alpha test - <10,000 players, one server, a few hours per week


We already know this will be ending soon, so it will be around 2 months (since Apr 8 was the start date). Now keep in mind, they did cancel a few of these tests. So taking this into consideration the actual testing time for Alpha 1 was much shorter.

Quote:
2. Beta 1 - multiple servers, still a few hours per week, but probably gradually increasing. This seems to be what's getting merged or replaced with Alpha 2.


Now this part I see taking the most time. This will be where they will iron out most of the issues since the next test (Beta 2) is supposed to start to resemble the final product. I think at most this will take 3-4 months ending around the beginning of Oct (and this may be overestimating).

Quote:
3. Beta 2 - servers run 24 hours a day. Game starts to resemble final product. PS3 testing starts.


I believe this will not be as long as Beta 1/Alpha 2. Since most of the bugs will be worked out by this time and testing will be around the clock, I believe it will only take 1-2 months and most likely will end around Mid to Late Nov.

Quote:
4. Open beta - only a few weeks before the official launch. Game is almost complete, but has limited content available (still only one starting city, I think).


Since they mention only a few weeks, I would bet this would be under a month.


This timeline would still allow for a late December release (possibly right around Christmas). It may be much shorter then this, since server stability is being worked on and fixed as we speak (and that is one of the most time consuming issues new MMO's have to deal with). I think the rest of the test will be much easier sailing.
#25 May 27 2010 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
**
495 posts
Actually I see beta 1/alpha 2 going by a lot faster then that. I mean maybe 3 months but they explicitly stated the goal posts recently. Their goal is to get the servers ready for the final product release, and they are allowing testing to happen earlier then normal for content by consequence. This means content testing (the bulk of what most betas tend to be about) is already in the alpha. Their next goal for alpha 2 is supposed to be testing on multiple worlds, thus they are going to test there server farms. The goal from there is slowly elongate the amount of testing time till eventually they feel comfortable to run the servers 24/7, thats when Beta is likely to officially start and that is also when they said they are going to implement the design changes that were gleamed from alpha testing. From there I expect no more then 2 months before a release, mainly because they already did all the server testing they could ever ask for, had a ton of time to test content concepts, and they have no intention of testing the other areas through the public. The only thing left is to do during this time is a full stress test of the servers at once, beta test for the PS3, and check for bugs that might make the playing experience uncomfortable at launch.
#26 May 27 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
73 posts
Quote:
OK It's June and they are just now talking about "Alpha 2". This game is not making 2010.


maybe, maybe not. but i'm feeling somewhat indifferent towards any release date mentioned. if they feel the game needs to be pushed back to 2011, i am behind them 100%; even if i have to suffer from neurotic twitching due to wanting to play the game. i am very grateful that Square Enix has more control over their deadlines than other smaller developers who are forced to release half-assed games because they have the publishers breathing down their necks (i.g Empire: Total War, Warhammer Online). from experience, if i had to pick between waiting impatiently a little longer for the game to come out, or to rage out when playing a heavily unpolished game.. i think i'll pick the former.
#27 May 27 2010 at 4:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
25 posts
The info's definitly great news. Good to hear that they are listening to feedback (which I guess is the whole point of the alpha...)

Regarding the armour dying though, I hope they limit the options somewhat. I personally believe that the 1,000,000 teh uber DPS with fuscia, pink and puke green armour would get tiresome.
#28 May 27 2010 at 4:53 PM Rating: Good
*
205 posts
"They're readying something large scale for your home, which functions like FFXI's Mog House. "

COME ON GUILD HOUSE!!! That would be just about the most awesomest thing in the whole wide world. It's would be the besty-westy est thing I meant.

Think about a guild house, with guild banner, guild tabards. GATE GUARDS!!! ...or maybe not, cause it would suck to get your guild house raided.
____________________________
It's not who we are, but what we do that define us. - Batman Begins

#29 May 27 2010 at 5:03 PM Rating: Good
KayannaBigGrr wrote:
"They're readying something large scale for your home, which functions like FFXI's Mog House. "

COME ON GUILD HOUSE!!! That would be just about the most awesomest thing in the whole wide world. It's would be the besty-westy est thing I meant.

Think about a guild house, with guild banner, guild tabards. GATE GUARDS!!! ...or maybe not, cause it would suck to get your guild house raided.


I'd love to see something like this.

Not to be unimaginative, but I think having EQ2's exact guildhall system in XIV would be just awesome Smiley: cool
#30 May 27 2010 at 7:25 PM Rating: Good
Don't think this deserves a separate thread, but here's a (very poor) translation of a new XIV interview. Not sure if this is Famitsu's article or not.

http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fffxiv-fan.rulez.jp%2F20100528.php&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2
#31 May 28 2010 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
It will make me a very sad panda if they have to push the release date, but I'd much rather them get everything right than release too soon.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#32 May 29 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
73 posts
Quote:
It loses one's way in the protein structure of [rimusa] [rominsa].


best translation ever.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)