Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Remote Auction HouseFollow

#1 Jun 09 2010 at 12:50 AM Rating: Good
*
85 posts
Access the Auction House from your web browser or mobile device
*Bid on and buy out auctions with real-time results.
*Create auctions from items in your bags, bank, or mailbox
*Collect gold earned in your auctions.

from WOW: http://kr.wowarmory.com/wow-remote.xml

This is first time ever I heard about this, but I think this is very convenient system
for people who cannot stay log on. I think this system should be added in FFXIV. What
would you think? I like to try this out with my Iphone.
#2 Jun 09 2010 at 12:54 AM Rating: Decent
hexid wrote:
Access the Auction House from your web browser or mobile device
*Bid on and buy out auctions with real-time results.
*Create auctions from items in your bags, bank, or mailbox
*Collect gold earned in your auctions.

from WOW: http://kr.wowarmory.com/wow-remote.xml

This is first time ever I heard about this, but I think this is very convenient system
for people who cannot stay log on. I think this system should be added in FFXIV. What
would you think? I like to try this out with my Iphone.


There's a phenomenal amount of infrastructure that has to be put into place in order to offer something like that. Blizzard can afford to pay a small team of developers to focus exclusively on their fluff features because they work in offices made out of gold ingots with rolls of $100 bills for toilet paper. SE doesn't have the resources to be thinking about little juicy bits like that right now. If they get the core game right, there's no reason they couldn't implement something like that if they wanted to, but they need to get some cash rolling in and start paying down the 6 year running tally of development costs they've already shovelled into XIV before they can start thinking about branching off.
#3 Jun 09 2010 at 1:03 AM Rating: Good
**
793 posts
Quote:
SE doesn't have the resources to be thinking about little juicy bits like that right now.


Apart from the fact that this statement is lolwtf, it's this kind of mentality that grants SE the liscense to strive for mediocrity rather than excellence.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#4 Jun 09 2010 at 1:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
257 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
Apart from the fact that this statement is lolwtf, it's this kind of mentality that grants SE the liscense to strive for mediocrity rather than excellence.


Just how little do you think it costs to make a MMO...? there is nothing lolwtf about Aurelius's statement
____________________________

#5 Jun 09 2010 at 1:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Give me an AH app for my Blackberry, I would love it!!!
____________________________
MUTED
#6 Jun 09 2010 at 1:32 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
...and Cadant there is a little lolwtf about Aurelius's statement because SE has more than enough resources to spread around...whereas Blizzard may be using $100 bills to wipe their asses, SE is using $500 bills (i'm exagerrating, they're only using toilet paper probably, but point in case, SE has more than enough money for something this pety...) it may take a lot of smart programming but programmers are a dime a dozen nowadays and they're smarter people than they give off, believe it.

On top of this, MMOs don't take much more money to produce than any regular video game - the major expenses come from upkeeping servers after the game's release...google the price cost of MMOs and you're bound to run into a few articles on this.

Edited, Jun 9th 2010 3:33am by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#7 Jun 09 2010 at 2:17 AM Rating: Good
**
793 posts
^ more or less.

Edited, Jun 9th 2010 3:17am by Onionthiefx
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#8 Jun 09 2010 at 2:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
205 posts
Well, Blizzard does not make as many games annually as SE does. There resources are in a multitude of places and focusing on different things, So Blizzard being able focuses on just a few things is greatly to there favor.

On topic, I would love some form of mobile trading and selling in FFXIV. I could be a full time crafter, and then sell my wears on the go! Being out and about and getting a notification all your stuff sold is sure to put a smile on anyone's face.
#9 Jun 09 2010 at 4:41 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
I think the point of what Aurelius is saying is being missed. Blizzard has a game population of 10+ million, and a longevity factor that allows the the luxury of dumping multitudes of time/money/resources into fluff features like the Armory and the new remote AH.

Any developer, regardless of their financial backing, would be out of their collective minds to impliment fluff/side project features such as this prior to cementing a solid, functional, and successful base MMO. I think everyone should worry as to whether FFXIV will flop or succeed rather than what iPhone App they'll be able to use in association to the game. If the game isn't there, the features are pointless.
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#10 Jun 09 2010 at 5:05 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
73 posts
i don't think i'd pay for an APP like this; not trying to knock it, but.. i'm satisfied with the likes of ffxiah.com and someday ffxivah.com, even if it's only based on "look but don't touch."
#11 Jun 09 2010 at 6:30 AM Rating: Good
*
133 posts
I wonder how opinions vary on this for guys who are stuck at work all day with no access to an MMO and people who are still in school who have all the time in the world ^^... I can make a guess. But anyways, I would LOVE a feature like this in FFXIV.

SE probably has more resources on the whole... but they're always, for better or worse, working on a ton of projects at once. Casting a lot of fishing lines I guess.

Edited, Jun 9th 2010 8:59am by Callipho
#12 Jun 09 2010 at 7:13 AM Rating: Decent
Guru
**
398 posts
I'm stuck at work with no access to an MMO, and I have no great interest in remotely accessing the AH, other than read-only (i.e. ffx(v)iah.com or similar).

I can wait until I get home. It's no great biggy. Sure, I might not make as much gil or miss out on the occasional bargain, but that's always been the case on XI and I've never really felt hard done by it.

I would class this as a nice-to-have feature and would certainly not object to it, but as it would necessitate carrying my security token with me at all times, I'd never use it, and certainly not pay for it.
____________________________
Gii ~~ Kujata (now Giii of Valefor)
Woodworking 100+3+3, some jobs at some levels
#13 Jun 09 2010 at 8:31 AM Rating: Decent
SolidMack wrote:
...and Cadant there is a little lolwtf about Aurelius's statement because SE has more than enough resources to spread around...whereas Blizzard may be using $100 bills to wipe their asses, SE is using $500 bills (i'm exagerrating, they're only using toilet paper probably, but point in case, SE has more than enough money for something this pety...) it may take a lot of smart programming but programmers are a dime a dozen nowadays and they're smarter people than they give off, believe it.

On top of this, MMOs don't take much more money to produce than any regular video game - the major expenses come from upkeeping servers after the game's release...google the price cost of MMOs and you're bound to run into a few articles on this.


The game is going on 6 years in development. It hasn't earned SE a dime. It won't earn them a dime until it goes live. Prior to the release of FFXIII, SE was in financial trouble because they're spending all this money on myriad development projects that are performing at a mediocre level on retail shelves. FFXIII helped, but it's not exactly selling at a FFVII pace. Just because SE is staying afloat doesn't mean they're rolling in cash. When you've got something that's been that long in development and has yet to show a profit, fluff features tend to drop farther and farther down the list of priorities. SE is not a rich company. (See here and here.)

Edited, Jun 9th 2010 7:31am by Aurelius
#14 Jun 09 2010 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,416 posts
Quote:
There's a phenomenal amount of infrastructure planning that has to be put into place in order to offer something like that.

That's better.. they could at least plan for it. It's not too far off from what they were trying to do with the Linkshell Community.

It doesn't need to be available at release, but if they should keep it in mind when completing their current plans they could build off of it later. Just being able to view the status of the items on the AH online made ffxiah.com a great site. As a casual gamer, I think this is an amazing addition and would hope that SE follows suit.
____________________________
Abort, Retry, Fail?
TeamAFK!

/equip Head Knowledge
You gain the latent effect of Power.
#15 Jun 09 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
**
346 posts
Meh,
Yeah it is convenient for some. I'm guessing this feature is mostly for those people who have to check their twitter every 30 seconds. I'd probably never use a remote AH, I like to unplug every once and a while.

I know I'm weird, In this day and age I still read things that aren't on my phone, lol.

But seriously, this kind of feature brings the game too far into real life for me. I don't mind waiting until I get off work to see if I sold a thing. If I find myself out at dinner, or at work, or in class, or anywhere that's not in front of my computer, the goings on in the fake economy of an imaginary world is not really something that I'd bother caring about. I just don't see the point, but to each his own.
#16 Jun 09 2010 at 3:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
157 posts
It would be awesome to have. I'll admit that.
#17 Jun 09 2010 at 4:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
350 posts
Elmyrsun wrote:
Meh,
Yeah it is convenient for some. I'm guessing this feature is mostly for those people who have to check their twitter every 30 seconds. I'd probably never use a remote AH, I like to unplug every once and a while.

I know I'm weird, In this day and age I still read things that aren't on my phone, lol.

But seriously, this kind of feature brings the game too far into real life for me. I don't mind waiting until I get off work to see if I sold a thing. If I find myself out at dinner, or at work, or in class, or anywhere that's not in front of my computer, the goings on in the fake economy of an imaginary world is not really something that I'd bother caring about. I just don't see the point, but to each his own.


I agree with this ^. But still, there are times when I am out and I'm bored with just my cell phone ( waiting for my g/f outside a changing room at a clothing store ), where I would very much like to be able to manage AH type stuff, because it will save me time when I do play it later on my PC.
#18 Jun 09 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I'd love to see features like that, but I'd be happy with even an equivalent of FFXIAH. And as was pointed out and I'm inclined to agree with... the game has been in development for years and is currently in alpha and they're still working out the bugs; fix the bugs and get it on the shelves first, and then worry about adding "fluff" in 2-3 more years.

Also:

The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
(See here and here.)


When it was brought up, I was about to go see if I could find some hard numbers; thanks for the links.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#19 Jun 16 2010 at 2:50 AM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
But dont forget, that even Blizzard ask a monthly fee to use the AH App on the mobile phone. So on the other side, its another way to make more money
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)