Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

New class revieledFollow

#1 Jun 24 2010 at 1:58 AM Rating: Default
**
602 posts

RPG Site: A lot of gamers from the Western part of the world felt that Final Fantasy XI and also XIV have a very distinct Asian or Japanese look. Do you aim the game at any specific geographic group, or is that something that came out of the team naturally?

Hiromichi Tanaka: It’s not because we’re targeted a particular audience; it’s more the designer’s tastes. However in Final Fantasy XIV we have introduced a different class called Highlander – they have more Western tastes in their design, so we hope you’ll like their style.

Very interisting news, I wonder what other classes they have in store for us.
____________________________
BANNED

#2 Jun 24 2010 at 2:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
641 posts
Isn't Highlander just one of the factions that Hyur can be?

This terminology can get real confusing, especially how everyone has their own definitions and history with generic words like class and job.
____________________________
JPButton | Twitter
#3 Jun 24 2010 at 2:17 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Elmer is correct, they are just talking about one of the hyur clans, not an actual class.

Edited, Jun 24th 2010 4:17am by burtonsnow
#4 Jun 24 2010 at 5:29 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Besides, there can be only one. Per server? In the entire game? Who knows. But its fact that there can be only one.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#5 Jun 24 2010 at 6:44 AM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
Unless it's the TV series, then it's okay.
#6 Jun 24 2010 at 8:01 AM Rating: Decent
**
432 posts
hahaha I wonder if you create one you have a risk of another highlander chopping your head off.

only one per server hahaha
____________________________
Kyunalesca
Lakshmi

"should you punch a six-year old girl in the face -- or should you punch her in the stomach? Hmm, that's a toughie."

Battlecat:
"I've always felt the best way to respond to someone calmly presenting their point of view is to fly off the handle and insult everyone who doesn't think like exactly like myself as well."
#7 Jun 24 2010 at 8:17 AM Rating: Decent
*
214 posts
Quote:
Besides, there can be only one. Per server? In the entire game? Who knows. But its fact that there can be only one.


I agree, and I think as a community we should do our best to enforce this
____________________________

#8 Jun 24 2010 at 9:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
189 posts
funny though, as I figure FFXI and now FFXIV have aesthetics closest to 80's western fantasy, while popular western fantasy games today have heavy influence from anime/manga. Look at WoW armor and a Yu Gi Oh card.
#9burtonsnow, Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 10:02 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) One of the two available options is Highlander, the other being Midlander. Since they are clans, they can have multiple members in the clan, so there can be millions. troll much?
#10 Jun 24 2010 at 10:08 AM Rating: Good
**
432 posts
burtonsnow wrote:
Caia wrote:
Besides, there can be only one. Per server? In the entire game? Who knows. But its fact that there can be only one.


One of the two available options is Highlander, the other being Midlander. Since they are clans, they can have multiple members in the clan, so there can be millions. troll much?


woooosh!

(highlander was a series of movies and a tv show. They were stories about immortals whose objective was to kill every other immortal on earth in order to become more powerful. They were called highlanders I think hence the joke)
____________________________
Kyunalesca
Lakshmi

"should you punch a six-year old girl in the face -- or should you punch her in the stomach? Hmm, that's a toughie."

Battlecat:
"I've always felt the best way to respond to someone calmly presenting their point of view is to fly off the handle and insult everyone who doesn't think like exactly like myself as well."
#11burtonsnow, Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 10:50 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) that might make sense in some alternate realm.
#12 Jun 24 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
Actually that's somewhat of a misconception (one perpetrated by the TV series, which as far as I know, had almost nothing to do with the movie, but carried the same name). "The Highlander" was not the title given to immortals, nor was it the one bestrode on the winner (last one standing). Rather, Highlander was a nickname given to the main character by Sean Connery's character in the movie, because he was from the highlands of Scotland.

*hums The More You Know*

Edited, Jun 24th 2010 12:53pm by Hulan
#13 Jun 24 2010 at 11:02 AM Rating: Decent
**
432 posts
Hulan wrote:
Actually that's somewhat of a misconception (one perpetrated by the TV series, which as far as I know, had almost nothing to do with the movie, but carried the same name). "The Highlander" was not the title given to immortals, nor was it the one bestrode on the winner (last one standing). Rather, Highlander was a nickname given to the main character by Sean Connery's character in the movie, because he was from the highlands of Scotland.

*hums The More You Know*

Edited, Jun 24th 2010 12:53pm by Hulan


You are absolutely right! I forgot about that. It's been a while since I saw Sean Connery dressed as a red mage. Time to watch the movie again!
____________________________
Kyunalesca
Lakshmi

"should you punch a six-year old girl in the face -- or should you punch her in the stomach? Hmm, that's a toughie."

Battlecat:
"I've always felt the best way to respond to someone calmly presenting their point of view is to fly off the handle and insult everyone who doesn't think like exactly like myself as well."
#14 Jun 24 2010 at 11:13 AM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
burtonsnow wrote:
ashikenshin wrote:
woooosh!

(highlander was a series of movies and a tv show. They were stories about immortals whose objective was to kill every other immortal on earth in order to become more powerful. They were called highlanders I think hence the joke)

that might make sense in some alternate realm.


When you don't understand a joke, it's polite to say "I don't get it" or just to remain quiet. To argue about it seems pointless, since I'm sure most people understood very well the Highlander reference.

It might also be worth your time to watch the original film with Sean Connery, because it's a very good movie (although the special effects are quite dated). Plus, next time some one makes a Highlander joke you would have a good idea of what they're talking about, and you might even laugh.




Edited, Jun 24th 2010 1:15pm by KarlHungis
#15burtonsnow, Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 11:26 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I could have said thanks for the information, but I don't feel I was being rude in my statement either. I don't watch movies that often so I can probably just say I will never watch that movie and to those who are in that "world" can continue to laugh about it. [sarcasm]But since you felt like pointing out to me how wrong I am, you are wrong for pointing it out to me! [/sarcasm]
#16 Jun 24 2010 at 11:27 AM Rating: Default
***
1,218 posts
burtonsnow wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
When you don't understand a joke, it's polite to say "I don't get it" or just to remain quiet. To argue about it seems pointless, since I'm sure most people understood very well the Highlander reference.

It might also be worth your time to watch the original film with Sean Connery, because it's a very good movie (although the special effects are quite dated). Plus, next time some one makes a Highlander joke you would have a good idea of what they're talking about, and you might even laugh.




Edited, Jun 24th 2010 1:15pm by KarlHungis


I could have said thanks for the information, but I don't feel I was being rude in my statement either. I don't watch movies that often so I can probably just say I will never watch that movie and to those who are in that "world" can continue to laugh about it. But since you felt like pointing out to me how wrong I am, you are wrong for pointing it out to me!



/Hug?
Edit:

Tough crowd. I guess it pays to be terse instead of friendly.

Edited, Jun 24th 2010 2:06pm by KarlHungis
#17burtonsnow, Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 11:28 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) /em pretends to Hug and then stabs in the back repeatedly!
#18 Jun 24 2010 at 11:32 AM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Caia wrote:
Besides, there can be only one. Per server? In the entire game? Who knows. But its fact that there can be only one.


Cue "Princes of the Universe" - Queen
#19 Jun 24 2010 at 11:38 AM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
Zelcarim wrote:
Caia wrote:
Besides, there can be only one. Per server? In the entire game? Who knows. But its fact that there can be only one.


Cue "Princes of the Universe" - Queen


Playing it right now, "Who Wants to Live Forever" is next...I love Queen.

Edited, Jun 24th 2010 11:39am by Yogtheterrible
#20 Jun 24 2010 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
Which brings is to the important question, What was Sean Connery doing playing a character who was, as I recall, a man from the Middle East brought up in France? And were is the genius who cast him so I can thank him.
#21 Jun 24 2010 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
Hulan wrote:
Which brings is to the important question, What was Sean Connery doing playing a character who was, as I recall, a man from the Middle East brought up in France? And were is the genius who cast him so I can thank him.


He used to be cast in a lot of odd characters (Hunt for Red October anyone? He made a horrible russian with that scottish accent.). But I don't mind so much with his character in highlander though since you can easily lose everything distinctive from your place of birth (Egypt in his case) after 2500 years. I don't think he spent any more time in france than he did in any other location though...he spent a lot of time in japan though (where he got the sword).
#22 Jun 24 2010 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
#23 Jun 25 2010 at 11:07 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
I've been reading the thread title to be "new class reviled!"
reviled = to subject to verbal abuse.
So i'm thinking, a class bashing thread? too early for that!

Really it's revieled - which is you what you do when your invis. runs out, right?
No-no, that would be "re-veiled".

i'm pretty sure you mean revealed, but really, the other meanings are fun as well

:)
#24 Jun 25 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Good
RufuSwho wrote:
I've been reading the thread title to be "new class reviled!"
reviled = to subject to verbal abuse.
So i'm thinking, a class bashing thread? too early for that!

Really it's revieled - which is you what you do when your invis. runs out, right?
No-no, that would be "re-veiled".

i'm pretty sure you mean revealed, but really, the other meanings are fun as well

:)


i wouldn't revel in it too much. :P
#25 Jun 25 2010 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Tenfooterten wrote:
RufuSwho wrote:
I've been reading the thread title to be "new class reviled!"
reviled = to subject to verbal abuse.
So i'm thinking, a class bashing thread? too early for that!

Really it's revieled - which is you what you do when your invis. runs out, right?
No-no, that would be "re-veiled".

i'm pretty sure you mean revealed, but really, the other meanings are fun as well

:)


i wouldn't revel in it too much. :P


I wonder if the OP will unravel this post.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)