Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

FINAL FANTASY XIV "Metamorphosis: From Alpha to Beta" videoFollow

#1 Jun 25 2010 at 3:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
61 posts
New youtube vid is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-99sSSS3eP4&playnext_from=TL&videos=VmSXormzX5U

Don't want to really say anything bad but I noticed two things I will be reporting as a bug. The monster selector needs to be changed. It doesn't need to circle the monster. SE did say they were going to fix this though. The text for selecting the battle command is way to big. Not being able to see most of you character fight is bad. Other than that I can't wait to test out other stuff.

Edited, Jun 25th 2010 5:54am by Kargara
#2 Jun 25 2010 at 3:27 AM Rating: Decent
*
136 posts
This video has officially put me on the hype train. ^^;
____________________________
FFXIV, Trabia: Neasa Vera.
FFXI, Leviathan: Aneirin (Dead), Key (Dead).
#3 Jun 25 2010 at 4:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
179 posts
Alpha looks more clear than beta? or its just me?
____________________________
#4 Jun 25 2010 at 5:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
802 posts
The difference is (>....<.

I wonder how many peeps machines that run well in Alpha is gonna perform in Beta with max graphics settings.
____________________________


#5 Jun 25 2010 at 5:47 AM Rating: Default
**
423 posts
i love the new battle system, agreed the alpha was painfully slow.

I just hope the beta is better optimized for computers cause from the looks of it it looks better then alpha... and alpha didn't have low specs.
#6 Jun 25 2010 at 6:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
181 posts
the new system feels like the FFXIII one, but even faster.
____________________________
XIV
Bosco Firebrander, Gladiator of Thanalan.

XI
(Retired) 2004-2008 ( He lies in Uleguerand Range, under the cold white snow ).
#7 Jun 25 2010 at 7:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
21 posts
Humster wrote:
The difference is (>....<.

I wonder how many peeps machines that run well in Alpha is gonna perform in Beta with max graphics settings.

That's something I wonder about too. I know from experience with games like WoW shadow settings always played **** with the game's performance.

Guess we'll find out whenever beta starts.
#8 Jun 25 2010 at 7:46 AM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,673 posts
Oh man that looks good. Hopefully they keep posting videos on youtube for us to enjoy.
#9 Jun 25 2010 at 8:50 AM Rating: Good
*
63 posts
I'm definitely liking the look of the battle system in the beta version so far. Seems quick enough and pretty smooth with switching between skills. Come on release date!! Haha
____________________________
When life gives you lemons......BAM!!!! Ninjas everywhere!! Thousands of them!!!
#10 Jun 25 2010 at 9:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
23 posts
I think they said that all UI elements will be movable at release. If that's the case, then if something were to be covering up your character too much, you could move it.
#11 Jun 25 2010 at 9:23 AM Rating: Good
**
257 posts
daour wrote:
Alpha looks more clear than beta? or its just me?


That's due to the beta version having proper lighting. Try starting at 1:02 and looking at the ground and you'll see a major difference. Beta overall looks a lot more polished, clean, and beautiful. I only hope that the game becomes much more optimized so the specs aren't so demanding.
____________________________
FFXI(retired 04/2006): Epedemicoptikz, Phoenix Server, 75 SAM/NIN/WAR

#12 Jun 25 2010 at 9:43 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
**** IT! mithra... err Miqo'te tails still mezmerising :P (or however you spell that) i never claimed to be a good speller :P
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#13 Jun 25 2010 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Battle system is clearly more interesting and faster flowing in beta, but otherwise, while the lighting is noticeably different, I wouldn't say it's any better looking.

I don't care though. Alpha looked very nice and beta looks very nice and I'm sure that the release version will also look very nice, so I'm not too concerned about any thing except the game play (and that also looks good from what I can tell).
#14 Jun 25 2010 at 10:04 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
Any one else a bit concerned about the wiff fest in beta? Maybe it's just luck AND Alpha was only 2 for 2, but the beta fight didn't connect many hits. Hopefully we don't need to stack as much ACC items in XIV as in XI.

Other than that I really dig the Beta looks better. Almost looks like tessalation on the stone path, hopefully DX11 support right out of the box?!
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#15 Jun 25 2010 at 10:06 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
The biggest graphical difference I can see is how the textures "pop" in the beta now. They've got much better contrast now.

I'm also glad to see that whatever "lag" the IGN reviewer cited between entering a command and it being performed, appears to solely be due to the action bar not being full.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#16 Jun 25 2010 at 10:27 AM Rating: Good
**
736 posts
Ahhh. very nice.
I like what they did with the skybox. The bloom'ed self illumination really helps make it behave like a real sky.
I would've liked to see the outdoor beta version when it wasn't overcast, though. I couldn't tell from the stone bridge scene if those heavy black shadows have been tamed.



Quote:


Other than that I really dig the Beta looks better. Almost looks like tessalation on the stone path, hopefully DX11 support right out of the box?!


::peers::
Can't say for sure, but I think that's just a normal map.
Though the one cracked tile on the far left at 1:07 is the kind of subtle nuance I really like to see.


Quote:
I'm also glad to see that whatever "lag" the IGN reviewer cited between entering a command and it being performed, appears to solely be due to the action bar not being full.


Nah. I see what he means.
He's referring to two second wait between activating red lotus and seeing it's animation start. The Light stabs seem crisp and responsive in comparison. I'm pretty sure it's not lag, but something to balance out stronger abilities. That's a-ok in my book, but if it gets any longer than that I'd like to see some kind of visual or verbal cue to let people know their command has gone through.



Edited, Jun 25th 2010 12:38pm by Zemzelette
#17 Jun 25 2010 at 10:36 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Quote:
Nah. I see what he means.
He's referring to two second wait between activating red lotus and seeing it's animation start. The Light stabs seem crisp and responsive in comparison. I'm pretty sure it's not lag, but something to balance out stronger abilities. That's a-ok in my book, but if it gets any longer than 2 seconds I'd like to see some kind of visual or verbal cue to let people know their command has gone through.


Ah, I see it now. When Red Lotus was selected, the gauge depleted, and started to naturally refill. I mistook that for a progression bar for the move.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#18 Jun 25 2010 at 10:39 AM Rating: Good
Alpha Alphaa because... 'Alpha Alpha' was already taken. :P

The indoors stuff I could leave or take, just looked darker and moodier, but I kind of like the brighter, but the out of doors changes were really great. The combat of course is much better.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#19 Jun 25 2010 at 11:08 AM Rating: Good
Woo, Can't wait to try it! :D
#20 Jun 25 2010 at 11:13 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Xentok wrote:
the new system feels like the FFXIII one, but even faster.


Eew... I hated FFXIII's battle system.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#21 Jun 25 2010 at 11:26 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
I really hope we can turn of that little "pyooh" sound that chimes in every time your select an action. Or at least be able to change it.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#22 Jun 25 2010 at 8:47 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
I really hope we can turn of that little "pyooh" sound that chimes in every time your select an action. Or at least be able to change it.


<call 5> <call 5> <call 5>.... lol
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#23 Jun 25 2010 at 8:51 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Quote:
<call 5> <call 5> <call 5>.... lol


ugh, exactly. <annoying noise 101> lol
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#24 Jun 25 2010 at 11:01 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
EpedemicOptikz wrote:
daour wrote:
Alpha looks more clear than beta? or its just me?


That's due to the beta version having proper lighting. Try starting at 1:02 and looking at the ground and you'll see a major difference. Beta overall looks a lot more polished, clean, and beautiful. I only hope that the game becomes much more optimized so the specs aren't so demanding.


I'll never find the quote (though I'd bet 100 gil it's linked somewhere on the forum) but Tanaka was quoted as saying the Beta build is nearly optimized and not to expect any changes to system requirements.
#25 Jun 25 2010 at 11:07 PM Rating: Decent
**
465 posts
I'll be interested to see what extent the game will allow to expedite the stamina regeneration process.. Since the attack speed is already so fast starting off, I would think it would be more to allow more powerful attacks, rather than just attacking faster (if one is choosing to favor speed over potency, as these beta videos have).

Edited, Jun 26th 2010 1:12am by Coyohma
____________________________
Lodestone
#26 Jun 26 2010 at 12:55 PM Rating: Default
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
Since the attack speed is already so fast starting off, I would think it would be more to allow more powerful attacks, rather than just attacking faster (if one is choosing to favor speed over potency, as these beta videos have


Well what it seems SE is doing is only creating the illusion of faster combat, it will still take just as long to actually kill the mob as previously in alpha. Your attacks will be faster but the mob now either has more hp or your attacks are weaker. I'm ok with that though, as long as I don't get to hit everything only once every 4 seconds.
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 29 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (29)