Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV naming conventions? Follow

#1 Jun 26 2010 at 9:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
33 posts
In FFXI, certain races had a sort of set syntax to their names. IIRC, female Tarus would have a repeated last syllable (like Tarupopo or something) male Tarus would have a sort of rhyme tacked on to the end, and Galkas would have names reminiscent of Native American "spirit names".

Personally, I'd like to know what the naming conventions will be in FFXIV, so that I can give my character a name to match! (I was always kind of sad in FFXI that my Taru's name wasn't a proper Tarutaru name)

For that reason, I'm going to give a list of all the NPC names I was able to pick out in the Alpha to Beta video-

Lalafell
Kakamehi
Nanaka
Gigiya

Mi'qote
T'mokkri

Elezen
Piralnaut (male)
Tirauland (couldn't see him to tell if he was Elezen, but I assume so by the similarity of his name)

I also saw an NPC named Gregory, whom I would assume is Hyur.

Any thoughts/contributions? It seems that Lalafell have a double-first-syllable (nana, kaka, gigi) and I imagine the apostrophes are probably common in Mi'qote names.
#2 Jun 26 2010 at 9:30 PM Rating: Good
**
736 posts
Only thing I have to add is that NPCs have one name, and you'll have to think of two.
#3 Jun 26 2010 at 11:02 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Zemzelette wrote:
Only thing I have to add is that NPCs have one name, and you'll have to think of two.


I don't see a problem with a surname for those who are imaginative and actually NAME their character.

I only see a n annoyance to come from unimaginitive people who use their character's name as a billboard for a joke and so among the army of "Lovestosplooge" and "Xxsefirothxx", we're just giving them one more billboard to play with, meaning we can expect "Sephi Clouderoth" and "Ibone Dyourmom" and so on. Ugh.

I mean, I hate to be all "Stop Having Fun" guy (Warning: DO NOT CLICK) but seriously... I don't know why it bothers me when people name their characters retarded names, but it does.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#4 Jun 27 2010 at 2:22 AM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
After a quick peruse of the official site I found these.

Lalafell:
Cicidoa Sosodoa
Jajariku Nanariku

Mi'qote:
N'bolata Tyata (Not labeled as Mi'qote but has the right naming convention)

Hyur:
Leeroy
Aeleyora

Unknown:
O-Guna-Por (quoted in the description of Gridania city-state)
Frandelont Raimdelle (quoted on main page of Bestiary)
Roddard Ironheart (Poem from map page)
Orrick Ballard (quote from main page)
Rhylsygg Bbirlonsyn (quote from the armoury)
Guillaurmand de Padellaint (quote from disciplines)

Seems the pattern is the same for Lalafell last names, but not for Mi'qote. Though still need more names.
#5 Jun 27 2010 at 4:55 AM Rating: Good
**
362 posts
I, for one, actually try to use these. It adds a little to the immersion of it all. Thank you, kateko and Txndokie for posting these. It will help (if you can tell) if you can also post what gender each name is. I know the Lalafell ones, but others may not, and I don't know if other races have gender-specific names like the Lalafell have.


(I made a thread a little while back about these here.)
____________________________
"Unfortunately many game companies are learning that if they can just keep you busy, you might not realize how bored you are." - Kachi
"Pride in your character will amount to nothing more than the level of intimacy I have when I order a burger from McDonald's" - Warfox07
"I find comfort food always helps when I feel like killing myself." - Papashan (FFXIV)
#6 Jun 27 2010 at 6:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Txndokie wrote:
Hyur:
Leeroy


Oh, no, they didn't!
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#7 Jun 27 2010 at 6:47 AM Rating: Good
*
77 posts
One of the role-play leaders has actually already created a name generator. Currently there are no last names for lalafell females though. Not sure if this is just a first draft of the generator or not but you can check it out here.

Just click on the race and you can shift through some of the names.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV Role-play Coalition (RPC): www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com
#8 Jun 27 2010 at 8:21 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
33 posts
"Txndokie" wrote:
Unknown:
O-Guna-Por (quoted in the description of Gridania city-state)
Frandelont Raimdelle (quoted on main page of Bestiary)
Roddard Ironheart (Poem from map page)
Orrick Ballard (quote from main page)
Rhylsygg Bbirlonsyn (quote from the armoury)
Guillaurmand de Padellaint (quote from disciplines)


So it seems that Hyur names tend to sound very English, while Elezen names are kind of old-French-inspired, using things like "au," "and," and double-L a lot. Also the "de" is interesting, I wonder if players would be able to put spaces in their names? I doubt it though, since then you'll get usernames that are sentences.

I would guess Orrick and Roddard are Hyur and Guillaurmand and possibly Frandelont are Elezen, but I wonder what O-Guna-Por and Rhylsygg Bbirlonsyn are. I imagine at least one of them is Roegadyn. Probably Rhylsygg Bbirlonsyn, since it's a full name, while O-Guna-Por isn't something players could imitate so Squenix probably wouldn't use that syntax.

#9 Jun 27 2010 at 8:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
763 posts
I looked over all those names and I think I'll pick one I can pronounce... lol
____________________________
Mikhalia wrote:
I care that the "No Child Left Behind" act has failed you.
#10 Jun 27 2010 at 9:04 AM Rating: Good
**
923 posts
Mikhalia wrote:

I mean, I hate to be all "Stop Having Fun" guy (Warning: DO NOT CLICK) but seriously... I don't know why it bothers me when people name their characters retarded names, but it does.


Yeah, you're probably being a bit too **** about it all, people enjoy these games on different levels so don't get all bent out of shape when someone has a little fun with a name.
#11 Jun 27 2010 at 10:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I haven't taken notice of what Roegadyn names are like, but all of the other names I've seen have been pretty consistent with what you'd see in XI. Though keep in mind that we haven't really seen any names from places other than Limsa, and name conventions may also vary based on tribe as well as race.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#12 Jun 27 2010 at 12:24 PM Rating: Decent
**
736 posts
Quote:
I don't see a problem with a surname for those who are imaginative and actually NAME their character.


Whoa~
I just meant reverse engineering your name via NPC names has a shortcoming as template. I thought it was a fairly benign comment. ^_^;
#13 Jun 27 2010 at 1:09 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
121 posts
By those standards you guy have picked out, they're pretty much using the same naming conventions from FFXI for FFXIV. *SIGH* While I do realize they're catering strongly to the FFXI crowd, I really hope they tweak the races enough with either the factions within the races or behaviour or speech or whatever to distinguish this game from it's predecessor. (For example, if Lalafell talkie-walkie, I may have to kill some kittens ;)).
#14 Jun 27 2010 at 1:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
Txndokie wrote:
Roddard Ironheart (Poem from map page)

I'm pretty sure that would be a Hyur name, since the Ironhearts in FFXI (the father & daughter that mapped Vana'diel) were Humes.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#15 Jun 27 2010 at 1:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Actually I understand that the daughter was a half-Hume, half-Elvaan.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#16 Jun 27 2010 at 2:00 PM Rating: Good
*
78 posts
Hey guys, I made a name generator based on what I've been able to piece together about the naming conventions.

Female Lalafell so far don't seem to have last names. :/ But their names are kind of the opposite of how they were in FFXI. Instead of "Ropipi" it's "Roropi." First two syllables rhyme then the third syllable. Miqo'te differ between those that have an apostrophe in their name as well as two of the same letter, like Y'tokkri, or ones that have short names like in FFXI, such as Khas or Vrykh. Roegadyn names seem almost old Germanic or Anglo-Saxon, etc., etc. Anyway, the name generator is here: http://www.adventureleague.net/ffxiv-name-generator/

Enjoy!
____________________________
Aveline Blue | Miqo'te swordswoman of Ul'dah, leader of TALE. Proud member of the Immortal Flames!
The Adventure League of Eorzea: A FFXIV roleplaying linkshell.
FFXIV Character Name Generator
#17 Jun 27 2010 at 2:37 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
dalm wrote:
By those standards you guy have picked out, they're pretty much using the same naming conventions from FFXI for FFXIV. *SIGH* While I do realize they're catering strongly to the FFXI crowd, I really hope they tweak the races enough with either the factions within the races or behaviour or speech or whatever to distinguish this game from it's predecessor. (For example, if Lalafell talkie-walkie, I may have to kill some kittens ;)).


Leave the Mi'qote alone. They have nothing to do with it.

Andephyne wrote:
Hey guys, I made a name generator based on what I've been able to piece together about the naming conventions.

Female Lalafell so far don't seem to have last names. :/ But their names are kind of the opposite of how they were in FFXI. Instead of "Ropipi" it's "Roropi." First two syllables rhyme then the third syllable. Miqo'te differ between those that have an apostrophe in their name as well as two of the same letter, like Y'tokkri, or ones that have short names like in FFXI, such as Khas or Vrykh. Roegadyn names seem almost old Germanic or Anglo-Saxon, etc., etc. Anyway, the name generator is here: http://www.adventureleague.net/ffxiv-name-generator/

Enjoy!


It's be'cause apo'strophes m'ake ev'erything m'ore awe'some.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#18 Jun 27 2010 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
Quote:
Hey guys, I made a name generator based on what I've been able to piece together about the naming conventions.

Female Lalafell so far don't seem to have last names. :/ But their names are kind of the opposite of how they were in FFXI. Instead of "Ropipi" it's "Roropi." First two syllables rhyme then the third syllable. Miqo'te differ between those that have an apostrophe in their name as well as two of the same letter, like Y'tokkri, or ones that have short names like in FFXI, such as Khas or Vrykh. Roegadyn names seem almost old Germanic or Anglo-Saxon, etc., etc. Anyway, the name generator is here: http://www.adventureleague.net/ffxiv-name-generator/

Enjoy!


Guess I should clarify but the Lalafell names I posted are first and last names. So it would mean that the last name has the same convention as the first.

Though I don't see how the gender would affect the surname as it is something passed down from parents to children regardless of gender. It is possible that it is different in that world.
#19 Jun 27 2010 at 4:18 PM Rating: Good
*
78 posts
Quote:
Guess I should clarify but the Lalafell names I posted are first and last names. So it would mean that the last name has the same convention as the first.

Though I don't see how the gender would affect the surname as it is something passed down from parents to children regardless of gender. It is possible that it is different in that world.


The reason the name gen doesn't give female Lalafells last name is that so far from the NPC names we've seen, the male names have a first and last that rhyme, like Kupori Nurori. The female NPCs that have been shown in screenshots do not have a last name, they just have one name with the pattern a-a-b.
____________________________
Aveline Blue | Miqo'te swordswoman of Ul'dah, leader of TALE. Proud member of the Immortal Flames!
The Adventure League of Eorzea: A FFXIV roleplaying linkshell.
FFXIV Character Name Generator
#20 Jun 27 2010 at 4:32 PM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
Yes, but what I'm saying for example is the name "Cicidoa Sosodoa" seems to be female by the Cici in the beginning. So if we take that this Lalafell is female then we can say that female last names have the same rhyming convention as male Lalafell but they also have the double syllable system like the first.
#21 Jun 27 2010 at 8:28 PM Rating: Good
*
78 posts
Hmm yeah I guess we won't know until we see a picture of Cicodoa, but you're right the first name does match the female name conventions. Like I said I'm just going off of the NPC names I've seen in screen shots, and so far I've only seen female Lalafells without last names.
____________________________
Aveline Blue | Miqo'te swordswoman of Ul'dah, leader of TALE. Proud member of the Immortal Flames!
The Adventure League of Eorzea: A FFXIV roleplaying linkshell.
FFXIV Character Name Generator
#22 Jun 27 2010 at 11:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
Kachi wrote:
Actually I understand that the daughter was a half-Hume, half-Elvaan.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Lilisette?
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#23 Jun 28 2010 at 5:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Pretty sure it's the Ironheart daughter. I confess that I don't know where in the game that information comes from, probably an obscure quest.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#24 Jun 28 2010 at 7:09 AM Rating: Decent
Kachi wrote:
Pretty sure it's the Ironheart daughter. I confess that I don't know where in the game that information comes from, probably an obscure quest.

Yes I think I remember that she was half Elvaan also, there is a pic of her in issue 14 of the Vana'diel Tribune II.
Anyway great thread, I find the idea of using the correct naming conventions for my future FFXIV characters absolutely fascinating!
____________________________
Can you see what it is yet?
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)