Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Will the PS3 run the game as well as a PC?Follow

#1 Jun 27 2010 at 2:29 AM Rating: Decent
*
209 posts
Playing FFXI on my 360 got me thinking, compared to my PC, my 360's performance in FFXI SUCKS. It really has me thinking maybe I should bit the bullet and drop another $900 in my PC just so I can play the game lag free. I have a feeling the open areas on the PS3 will be fine, but once you get to the congested areas like the cities then the games performance will suffer just like the ps2 and 360 in ffxi. What are your thoughts?
#2 Jun 27 2010 at 3:47 AM Rating: Excellent
I heard it will run as well as FFXIII did for PS3, So I dont think there is anything to worry about.
#3 Jun 27 2010 at 3:59 AM Rating: Good
**
542 posts
I'm not sure how well the PS3 version will run, but it sounds a bit hasty to spend $900 on upgrades just for this game based on a hunch that the PS3 version will run poorly. I'd assume we'll find out more once PS3 beta opens up.
#4 Jun 27 2010 at 7:47 AM Rating: Good
36 posts
I had FFXI on my PS3 and it dident lag in any areas not even during Besiged. I think you should drop 350$ on a PS3 and save 550$ on upgradeing your PC. Even if your ONLY going to play XIV on the PS3 think of it as buying a Blu-Ray player so at least your geting something out of it in the long run if your not that into the PS3.
#5 Jun 27 2010 at 8:46 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
93 posts
My guess is that the PS3 will be able to run FFXIV smoothly in most cases. I've heard that the game is capped at 30 FPS again, though I could be wrong. If that's the case, I have confidence that the PS3 will easily be able to hit 30 FPS in most situations.

As for graphical detail, my guess is that the PS3 version will look similar to the PC's "Default" setting. Again, these are just wild guesses. I know guesses are probably not what you want to hear, but I haven't seen any information on this either, unfortunately :(

Edited, Jun 27th 2010 10:46am by Rhysen
#6 Jun 27 2010 at 8:59 AM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
There's a bit of a difference between the two situations. FFXIV is made for PS3 (actually, the engine is designed to work equally on all platforms besides the wii) while FFXI was just ported over to the xbox. One thing, though, the PS3 will only be 720 while the PC will be 1080. If you buy a new computer wait until last minute to do it but I personally think if you already have a PS3 just use it.
#7 Jun 27 2010 at 9:19 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
It sucked on 360 because it was originally designed to play on a PS2, and was ported to 360. I don't think the PS3 will have that problem since it will be optimized from the beginning to play on the PS3.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#8 Jun 27 2010 at 10:00 AM Rating: Decent
*
63 posts
Yea I think that the PS3 will run it just as well as the PC. I mean a fully optimized PC with settings blazing will most likely look and play slightly better, but I doubt there will be any major differences at all. If it plays as smoothly as FFXIII like people have said multiple times then I will be perfectly satisfied.
____________________________
When life gives you lemons......BAM!!!! Ninjas everywhere!! Thousands of them!!!
#9 Jun 27 2010 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
According to the interview, pc has run 1080p when ps3 can only do 780.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#10 Jun 27 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Decent
*
63 posts
That is one thing I am curious about. Is the games signal written in 1080p or 720p? If it is 720p then the PS3 and the PC should look very close to each other since the PC just has to upscale it. If it is 1080p then the PC should appear at least somewhat superior graphically to the PS3, since the PS3 will have to downscale to play it. Also the size of the TV you are playing the PS3 version on will affect the image if downscaling will be required. Smaller the TV the worse the image will appear as compared to a larger TV.
____________________________
When life gives you lemons......BAM!!!! Ninjas everywhere!! Thousands of them!!!
#11 Jun 27 2010 at 10:33 AM Rating: Default
*
57 posts
I've yet to see anyone post any links to sources for their information, so as of yet it's all just rumors. If you think it's going to be like FFXI, chances are you're wrong. The FFXIV version for the PS3 will most likely not be set to extreme settings to allow the PS3 to play the game SMOOTHLY while not at the prettiest it could be. Unlike the version that will be coming to the PC where it will be basically unlocked and left to the users discretion as to what the settings are. Get with the times people, FFXIV != FFXI. The PS3 is closer to the average persons PC today than what the PS2 offered as far as performance then.
#12 Jun 27 2010 at 10:43 AM Rating: Excellent
**
456 posts
The difference in HD of 720 and 1080p is very minor. They said the Ps3 can only run it on 720 and of course the PC can run it on 1080p, but its a very small deal if you even want to call it that. It will look gorgeous on both systems, and run smooth. Just look at FFXIII graphics if you want to see the ps3 capability and the engine used. Yes there is a difference (small) but I don't think it should change your mind either way whether to upgrade your PC or buy a ps3. It shouldn't even be much of a factor, whatever you prefer is what you should do.
#13 Jun 27 2010 at 11:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
350 posts
Mimedestroyer wrote:
That is one thing I am curious about. Is the games signal written in 1080p or 720p? If it is 720p then the PS3 and the PC should look very close to each other since the PC just has to upscale it. If it is 1080p then the PC should appear at least somewhat superior graphically to the PS3, since the PS3 will have to downscale to play it. Also the size of the TV you are playing the PS3 version on will affect the image if downscaling will be required. Smaller the TV the worse the image will appear as compared to a larger TV.


No! The game will definitely support true 1920x1080 HD resolution on the PC (The benchmark already lets you run in this mode) and true 720p resolution on the PS3 (the benchmark also lets you test 720p). The graphics engine will be able to render the game to at least those 2 resolutions, meaning there wouldn't be any degradation caused by upscaling or downscaling.

Also, on a PC, it is very likely there will be multi-monitor support, which will allow you to increase the resolution to be even larger (this was demonstrated at E3 2010).

For this reason, expect the game to look better on a high end PC over the PS3. On the PS3, I'm sure the game will still run smooth, but the resolution will only be 720p. A lot of people won't be able to really see a difference. Personally, I think it is still a big advantage to have 1080p over 720p, because you have room for more or larger chat windows.

Edited, Jun 27th 2010 10:10am by Cyiode
#14 Jun 27 2010 at 11:24 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
HocusP wrote:
The difference in HD of 720 and 1080p is very minor.
This. The game is going to look fantastic on either system. It will just look better on a PC that can handle 1080p and has a monitor/TV that can handle it and is big enough to even notice the difference. If you are gonna play it on 20" monitor, I doubt it would be much of a noticeable difference. Now if you are hooking your PC up to a 36"+ LCD/Plasma TV, then yeah you'll see the improvement. I bet that a majority of PC players will be playing at 720p on release, because unless you got a super rig there will be a sizable performance hit on the game, and having the game run smoothly is more important than a better resolution IMO.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#15 Jun 27 2010 at 11:28 AM Rating: Decent
*
117 posts
The PS3 is a beast so it'll run lag free if you have a high speed internet connection like Optimum Online.
#16 Jun 27 2010 at 11:31 AM Rating: Decent
*
63 posts
Ok thanks for the clarification Cyiode.

And as for the multi-monitor issue, I thought for sure they were going to have support for it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FINALFANTASYXIV#p/u/2/Yq-hDTCtLxk

They are doing it in that video aren't they? Or am I misunderstanding the video or what you mean?
____________________________
When life gives you lemons......BAM!!!! Ninjas everywhere!! Thousands of them!!!
#17 Jun 27 2010 at 12:17 PM Rating: Good
**
542 posts
Harri wrote:
HocusP wrote:
The difference in HD of 720 and 1080p is very minor.
This. The game is going to look fantastic on either system. It will just look better on a PC that can handle 1080p and has a monitor/TV that can handle it and is big enough to even notice the difference. If you are gonna play it on 20" monitor, I doubt it would be much of a noticeable difference. Now if you are hooking your PC up to a 36"+ LCD/Plasma TV, then yeah you'll see the improvement. I bet that a majority of PC players will be playing at 720p on release, because unless you got a super rig there will be a sizable performance hit on the game, and having the game run smoothly is more important than a better resolution IMO.


Don't forget about viewing distance. People tend to sit within a few feet of their computer monitors, while for TVs sitting 6, 8, 10+ feet away isn't uncommon. For this reason, resolution will matter even less on a TV than it does on a monitor for many people.

There's charts and guides all over the place online, but here's one I found on Google just now to show proper viewing distance depending on your resolution and screen size, which seems accurate at a glance. http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html I think it's worth looking at for people concerned about the difference between 720p and 1080p on their TV. If you're like me, you may find that you already sit far enough away that there's really no noticeable difference between the two. And for those who do sit close enough that they might notice a difference, it's still worth noting that it's not a very large difference. If you're a videophile who optimizes screen size and viewing distance so that you can sit close to the screen (closer than, say, the average person who has a moderately sized TV and sits back on the couch) and still get the absolute best possible picture, it might be something to think about. Others shouldn't really be too concerned about it IMO.



Edited, Jun 27th 2010 2:17pm by Susanoh
#18 Jun 27 2010 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
350 posts
Mimedestroyer wrote:
Ok thanks for the clarification Cyiode.

And as for the multi-monitor issue, I thought for sure they were going to have support for it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FINALFANTASYXIV#p/u/2/Yq-hDTCtLxk

They are doing it in that video aren't they? Or am I misunderstanding the video or what you mean?


I believe they were demonstrating 3D and multi-monitors with FFXIV, but I think they are just showing a proof of concept, and still aren't 100% sure they want to put it in the final product.
#19 Jun 27 2010 at 1:00 PM Rating: Decent
*
63 posts
Ok I suppose that makes a decent amount of sense. It is definitely looking like they are trying to make it happen then at the very least.
____________________________
When life gives you lemons......BAM!!!! Ninjas everywhere!! Thousands of them!!!
#20 Jun 27 2010 at 1:49 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Cyiode wrote:
Mimedestroyer wrote:
Ok thanks for the clarification Cyiode.

And as for the multi-monitor issue, I thought for sure they were going to have support for it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FINALFANTASYXIV#p/u/2/Yq-hDTCtLxk

They are doing it in that video aren't they? Or am I misunderstanding the video or what you mean?


I believe they were demonstrating 3D and multi-monitors with FFXIV, but I think they are just showing a proof of concept, and still aren't 100% sure they want to put it in the final product.


No, they did specifically state that the game -will- support 2-3 monitors.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#21 Jun 27 2010 at 1:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Multimonitors are confirmed; 3D is not.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#22 Jun 27 2010 at 2:07 PM Rating: Decent
*
209 posts
Well as long as it runs well I will stick to PS3. I guess I am going to hold out for PS3 beta and see how well the game runs on the PS3.

WHen I was playing FFXI on my 360 last night I was in a pt with a drg and I would get the text for healing breath then about 1~2 seconds latter I would get the animation. I do have a nice PC and a nice 23" monitor but every now and then its nice to sit back in the lazy boy and relax and play. =)
#23 Jun 27 2010 at 2:34 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Kachi wrote:
Multimonitors are confirmed; 3D is not.


Yeah, 3D was one of those "we think it's spiffy and wanted to show it off" things. I really can't see a large portion of the playerbase really caring about it; it has an "oh, neat" factor, but that's about it.

Honestly, "3D" (specifically the "wear the cheap glasses" kind" has always been a fad. Someone does it, everyone thinks it's great, everyone else starts doing it until people realize it's silly, and then it goes away. Then in a few years it comes back and the cycle is repeated.

I'd be fine with people leaving 3D alone until the technology supports -actual- 3D/holo projections.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#24 Jun 27 2010 at 3:03 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Multimonitors are confirmed; 3D is not.


Yeah, 3D was one of those "we think it's spiffy and wanted to show it off" things. I really can't see a large portion of the playerbase really caring about it; it has an "oh, neat" factor, but that's about it.

Honestly, "3D" (specifically the "wear the cheap glasses" kind" has always been a fad. Someone does it, everyone thinks it's great, everyone else starts doing it until people realize it's silly, and then it goes away. Then in a few years it comes back and the cycle is repeated.

I'd be fine with people leaving 3D alone until the technology supports -actual- 3D/holo projections.


I totally agree...this recent 3D hype is really annoying as it's not really 3d, just 2d layers brought into perspective by glasses. Half of the time it hurts the eyes of those who wear them and nobody is going to go through the trouble of putting on their 3d glasses before they watch a movie. Sure, they might do it a few times when they first buy that spiffy new 3D tv but ultimately they will get lost underneath the couch cushions and nobody will bother getting them until the remote gets lost back there too.

We already have enough remotes and junk cluttering the living room, we don't need 5 3D glasses hanging around as well.

I can see it becoming somewhat more popular for gaming but I'm sure wearing it for as long as a lot of gamers play I bet would be detrimental to your eyesight.
#25 Jun 27 2010 at 3:08 PM Rating: Good
*
63 posts
Along with the whole 3D thing, this is purely personal, but I hate having to wear the 3D glasses due to the fact that I wear normal glasses to see. The extra set of 3D shades on top of my normal seeing pair is a huge hindrance and they don't fit well at all, normally tilting to the side and forcing me to constantly adjust them or just have half my vision 3D and the other half not resulting in headaches. Just a short personal rant to consider.
____________________________
When life gives you lemons......BAM!!!! Ninjas everywhere!! Thousands of them!!!
#26 Jun 27 2010 at 4:15 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Mimedestroyer wrote:
Along with the whole 3D thing, this is purely personal, but I hate having to wear the 3D glasses due to the fact that I wear normal glasses to see. The extra set of 3D shades on top of my normal seeing pair is a huge hindrance and they don't fit well at all, normally tilting to the side and forcing me to constantly adjust them or just have half my vision 3D and the other half not resulting in headaches. Just a short personal rant to consider.


Oh my God, this. A thousand times this.

My mom rented a 3D movie, the name of which I can't recall, and I wasted the first 15 minutes trying to get my glasses and the 3D glasses to sit right and line up right. The end result was that I wasted 15 minutes staring at a purple 2D screen, getting a headache, and missing everything that happened.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#27 Jun 28 2010 at 11:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
The biggest issue I see is font size. Like someone stated earlier viewing distance is a huge factor in this. PC you're very close so you can read words easily but with TV you're normally 10 to 15 feet away. I just hope SE makes resizeable font for PS3.
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#28 Jun 28 2010 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
I agree on the 3D comments. Seems like the electronics industry is trying to find that "next big thing" that will move TV's off the shelves. Now that HD has been around long enough, the demand for new sets is going to continue to decline. I see 3D with glasses as being just too gimmicky for it to catch on. Like others have said, it's been done before, several times. Every few years it pops back up, then the hype disappears. ****, I remember playing Space Harrier in 3D on my friends Sega Master System with those goofy 3D glasses. There's nothing really that new about the 3D technology they are trying to sell, just that it's improved. It's hard enough keeping track of the remote, much less several pair of glasses.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#29 Jun 28 2010 at 1:47 PM Rating: Decent
HD tv's aren't all that uncommon anymore. I have 2 in my house (Both support 1080i resolution) as it is. Makes me wonder why they wouldn't allow the 1080p res for PS3 users.
#30 Jun 28 2010 at 1:51 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Tenfooterten wrote:
HD tv's aren't all that uncommon anymore. I have 2 in my house (Both support 1080i resolution) as it is. Makes me wonder why they wouldn't allow the 1080p res for PS3 users.
I don't think it's a case of not allowing it, but rather that the PS3 wouldn't be able to handle it without causing some performance issues that would let it run smoothly.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#31 Jun 28 2010 at 1:57 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Harri wrote:
Tenfooterten wrote:
HD tv's aren't all that uncommon anymore. I have 2 in my house (Both support 1080i resolution) as it is. Makes me wonder why they wouldn't allow the 1080p res for PS3 users.
I don't think it's a case of not allowing it, but rather that the PS3 wouldn't be able to handle it without causing some performance issues that would let it run smoothly.


Yeah, as if it wasn't already obvious enough, the benchmarking tool pretty much spells out the already obvious answer that "720p will result in better performance than 1080p). The benchmark scores for 720p are usually 30-40% higher than 1080p, and I guess they'd rather have the game look great on a lower resolution than look okay on a higher one.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#32 Jun 28 2010 at 4:25 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
Tenfooterten wrote:
HD tv's aren't all that uncommon anymore. I have 2 in my house (Both support 1080i resolution) as it is. Makes me wonder why they wouldn't allow the 1080p res for PS3 users.


They aren't supporting 1080p because of the drain on system resources. They're already cutting texture quality and almost certainly other effects to ensure smooth gameplay on the system. They aren't using 1080i because for most TVs out there and for most types of gameplay the approximately 1,000,000 pixels going 60 frames per second looks better than (essentially) 2,000,000 pixels going 30 fps. Most HDTVs older than 2 years old are 720p native, so even though they accept a 1080i signal (most HD broadcasts are in 1080i) They really only get half the pixels transmitted and at half the refresh rate their TV can do.

We've seen a number of games support 1080i options at launch and a few more patch in 1080i compatibility for those that have the CRT or RP TVs that only display 1080i and 480p. It's a long shot I know, and I know the frustration of having such a TV paired with the PS3, but all you can do is try! If you're in a position where this affects you, let SE know. You'd be surprised how many companies didn't even realize the problem until consumers contacted them...
#33 Jun 29 2010 at 4:33 AM Rating: Decent
I realize there would probably be issues with how the game would run, i guess it would just be nice to have the option.
#34 Jun 29 2010 at 6:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
Nice to have the option, sure, but it'd use up an unnecessary amount of hard drive space for something that we already know won't run smoothly.
#35 Jun 30 2010 at 12:27 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Here's a rhetorical question we may likely never get an answer to:

I wonder what score the FFXIV benchmark tool would get if you ran it on a PS3.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#36 Jun 30 2010 at 2:46 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Here's a rhetorical question we may likely never get an answer to:

I wonder what score the FFXIV benchmark tool would get if you ran it on a PS3.


I've been wondering the same thing.. cant download it properly to my ps3 to make it tried.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#37 Jun 30 2010 at 7:34 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Puppy1 wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
Here's a rhetorical question we may likely never get an answer to:

I wonder what score the FFXIV benchmark tool would get if you ran it on a PS3.


I've been wondering the same thing.. cant download it properly to my ps3 to make it tried.


Does the benchmark run on Linux? Shouldn't be too hard to install Linux on a PS3 and run it if you can.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#38 Jun 30 2010 at 7:42 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
602 posts

Game might be in native 720p but your PS3 or TV can/will upscale it to 1080i/p depending on your television and what it can handle. You might have to force the upscale if your HDTV doesn't do it automatically like some do. You can play FFXIV in 1080p on PS3. It will just be upscale that is all.

And as for building a gaming rig here: PC Wizkid General Gaming Rig Builds
#39 Jun 30 2010 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
743 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Puppy1 wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
Here's a rhetorical question we may likely never get an answer to:

I wonder what score the FFXIV benchmark tool would get if you ran it on a PS3.


I've been wondering the same thing.. cant download it properly to my ps3 to make it tried.


Does the benchmark run on Linux? Shouldn't be too hard to install Linux on a PS3 and run it if you can.


Even if Sony hadn't pulled support for Other OS (removed in version 3.30), it still wouldn't have work. GPU was disabled under Linux.

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 6:47pm by AngusX
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#40runway, Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 7:50 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Well thanks to SE ******* PS3 users over (and blatantly lying to us)I guess we will find the answer out to this in 9 months.
#41 Jul 01 2010 at 4:12 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,178 posts
I was thinking the delay was for this very reason, the additional coding required to fully uitilize PS3 hardware. Having an underperforming console version would be even worse than delaying the console release.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)