Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV Dated....for Europe...PS3 6 months after PCFollow

#52 Jun 30 2010 at 12:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
33 posts
Quote:
And for this reason, if this information is correct, I won't be playing FFXIV now. I refuse to be a second class citizen like the PS2 players were at launch for FFXI.


Don't be so elitist. Playing a game as large in scope in as FFXI on a PS2 is incredible. The exact same thing can be said about playing FFXIV on a PS3.

We're going to play a MMO on a console, and from the gameplay videos running on a PS3, it looks stellar. We're lucky SE aren't like other MMO devs - they at least support consoles...

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 2:38pm by Sharwyn
____________________________
Bahamut
#53 Jun 30 2010 at 12:47 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
520 posts
Sharwyn wrote:
We're lucky SE aren't like other MMO devs - they at least support consoles...


Because we've supported them for the last 30 years. FF started on consoles, and we've been funding them.
____________________________
FFXI: Nyse - PLD, DNC, DRG
Asura Server

FFXIV: Nyse Celestre - Working on PLD
Ridill Server...for now.
#54 Jun 30 2010 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
*
223 posts
I'm really disappointed that SE is sacrificing the equality of it's players just to compete with WoW's upcoming expansion, if that is really their intent. I personally would be more than happy to wait another few months for a PC version if it meant everyone got to start at the same time, even though my rig can handle the game. It absolutely isn't fair to people who bought a PS3 with the thought in mind that it would be on equal footing with PC users. People were misled, that's all there is to it. :/
#55 Jun 30 2010 at 12:50 PM Rating: Excellent
**
736 posts
I wouldn't get up in arms over that particular date just yet.
March 31st just so happens to the end of Square Enix's Fiscal Year.

That kind of has the earmarks of an deadline vis a vis executive meddling.

The Suits are probably putting the pressure on Tanaka-san to release by the end of the Fiscal year. A stand-in date based on Calendar Years wouldn't work out too well; December 31st 2010 might be too early, and December 31st 2011 would freak people the **** out. The end of the fiscal year works out just dandy because they know they'll have to keep that promise whether they want to or not, and it buys them time to try to get a bead on how much the technical difficulties will really set them back.





Edited, Jun 30th 2010 2:54pm by Zemzelette
#56 Jun 30 2010 at 12:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
602 posts

Well. I guess I am a little surprised about this and than again I am not. Eventually down the road it will turn into lolPS3limitations. I was hoping to get this for PS3 as well but now that I know it's coming out in March, time to sell the PS3 and put the money towards a new PC. I would rather play in September on PC than have to wait until March for a multi-platform release. Sorry for all the PS3 owners. I will be selling mine to fund a new PC which it seems by the system requirements, Intel Duo 2/AMD x2, 2GB memory, ATI 2900? HD, nVidia something. It looks like you can scale down the graphic settings quite a bit to make the game playable even on the PCs you have now so eh.

You might *NOT* have to build a state of the art computer from the beginning. Good news on anyone's part. I will probably wait to build mine until the game is out just to see if mine can handle it. I don't mind playing on a 800x600 resolution in 720p/1080p. Here's to hoping it works on every PC out of the box. I am happy that I can still use my FF13 code for an item but I wonder if I will get invite into the Beta now which should roughly be the released game albeit the few tweaks etc.
#57 Jun 30 2010 at 12:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
941 posts
It's been so long since I did my FFXI Token - can someone help me break this down?

I have a Square-Enix account. FFXIV will be run with the same username I use to log into FFXI, right?

This username is protected by my Security Token - so I would assume the same would be in place for FFXIV already?

Would the security token shipped with the CE cause problems since I already have one linked to my account?

Is that how it's supposed to work - or thought to work?

I'm very excited.
#58 Jun 30 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Default
They probably didn't have any problems 2 weeks ago. I know it sucks, but $^*# really does happen. I will say one thing, this is nothing like FFXI release. There is no "level cap" per say, so there won't be maxed out players running around in 6 months. Also, There are conflicting reports on PS3 release date atm.
#59 Jun 30 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
*
67 posts
Quote:
The PS3 version of the game will not be released until March 2011


www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtE0jcAkvjI
#60 Jun 30 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
520 posts
Zemzelette wrote:
I wouldn't get up in arms over that particular date just yet.
March 31st just so happens to the end of Square Enix's Fiscal Year.

That kind of has the earmarks of an deadline vis a vis executive meddling.

The Suits are probably putting the pressure on Tanaka-san to release by the end of the Fiscal year, and it just so happens that it make a handy stand-in date as well. A stand-in date based on Calendar Years wouldn't work out too well; December 31st 2010 might be too early, and december 31st 2011 would freak people the **** out. The end of the fiscal year works out just dandy while they try to get a scope on how much the technical difficulties will really set them back.


+1 for a good explanation. This makes sense. Whether it's true or not, we'll wait and see. I hope you are correct. But past experience shows that SE doesn't seem to care much about its customers.
____________________________
FFXI: Nyse - PLD, DNC, DRG
Asura Server

FFXIV: Nyse Celestre - Working on PLD
Ridill Server...for now.
#61 Jun 30 2010 at 1:04 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
6 months is estimate. That's when their fiscal year ends.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it released before the end of the year.

But ya, it'll be delayed.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#62 Jun 30 2010 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
+1 for a good explanation. This makes sense. Whether it's true or not, we'll wait and see. I hope you are correct. But past experience shows that SE doesn't seem to care much about its customers.


They provide quality games.. that's all the care I need.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#63 Jun 30 2010 at 1:11 PM Rating: Default
****
4,957 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
jschaub wrote:
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
In terms of the PS3, sh*t happens. Many developers will tell you this.


That's the problem here. "Many developers will tell you" apparently doesn't include SE. They shouldn't have told everyone two weeks ago that we'd get a simultaneous worldwide launch. And they shouldn't have been touting that fact for the last year.


The most common example of this is GTA IV, remember how it was to be simultaneous with PS3 and 360 prior to its april release? Then the PS3 started giving them problems and they had to push it back to release it simultaneously or release it console by console since the 360 version was ready. Sometimes they can't always announce it. When things are on track things indeed are on track but if something prevents it then they announce they have to push it back doesn't mean anyone "lied", because every developer who's had to push something back would have "lied" then.

It's frustrating yeah but they were adamant about a 2010 release and since it's developed for the PC version THEN ported to the console, this is why it's not too surprising that it's been delayed. They told people since Gamescom/E3 of last year, it wasn't "just two weeks ago". Gotta admit, it's a lot better then come release date: "Oh sorry no PS3 version."




actually it was said 2 weeks ago at this years E3, its even in the video interview regarding ff14 on this site, and yeah right theer are delays but the issue with this is they JUST found out 2within the last two weeks (after saying it would be a simultaneous relase) that there wont b eone? ASlso what kinda problem could it POSSILY be that it sgonna take them til MARCH to fix? I could see if it was 1-2 montsh delay then ok but march? Also your statement about being made on pc then ported is false, ffxi was made on ps2 and ported to pc (and xbox) and the same goes for 14
#64 Jun 30 2010 at 1:14 PM Rating: Decent
**
697 posts
Really? People are REALLY upset about a non-simultaneous release? Look, yes, PC people will get a head start, but that doesn't mean that the game will be unplayable for ps3 users. Plenty of people played FFXI on ps2, and even more on xbox 360, without a problem. The goal is not a race to the end people, ESPECIALLY with regard to this MMO. There is a story, enjoy it at your pace. There will be early game, mid-game, and end-game activities, enjoy them. I didn't cap my first character in FFXI until 2009, and i started playing at the NA PC launch, because I ENJOYED THE GAME. Don't cry over spilled milk, this time next year everyone will be on equal footing.

...And for the record, I will be getting this for PC, but when PS3 comes out, I plan on picking up a copy so I can play with friends and (hopefully) do cross game voice chat that has been rumored for the ps3.

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 3:16pm by MerylStryfe
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#65 Jun 30 2010 at 1:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
**
763 posts
Sharwyn wrote:
Quote:
And for this reason, if this information is correct, I won't be playing FFXIV now. I refuse to be a second class citizen like the PS2 players were at launch for FFXI.


Don't be so elitist. Playing a game as large in scope in as FFXI on a PS2 is incredible. The exact same thing can be said about playing FFXIV on a PS3.

We're going to play a MMO on a console, and from the gameplay videos running on a PS3, it looks stellar. We're lucky SE aren't like other MMO devs - they at least support consoles...

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 2:38pm by Sharwyn


This isn't an "elitist" attitude. This is a ****** off 25 year loyal customer attitude.

There's nothing that could have happened in 2 weeks that could have made a 6 month difference in release dates. If there was a problem with the PC to PS3 porting process, they've known about it for some time. It's very poor customer relations on their part not to tell us of a possible delay as soon as they knew about one instead of perpetuating the "Everything is peachy, they'll all release together" line of BS they've been feeding us for a year.

I don't care if you think of it as elitist, or butthurt, or whatever other internet geekspeak you wanna call it, if this gets confirmed and comes out of the mouth of an actual SE employee, they'll lose a customer. Not just for FFXIV but for FFXI too.

I know what you're thinking; my money means nothing to SE and you're probably right, but I refuse to give my money to a company that craps on the loyal customer as badly as SE does.

If you were being treated like this at Walmart or Best Buy you wouldn't stand for it, you'd go somewhere else. Why should SE be treated any different.
____________________________
Mikhalia wrote:
I care that the "No Child Left Behind" act has failed you.
#66 Jun 30 2010 at 1:43 PM Rating: Good
**
603 posts
Perhaps the PS3 version is being pushed to better market other PS3 titles till the end of the year. I know if I got FFXIV for PS3 I wouldn't buy anything else for it for a very long time.
#67 Jun 30 2010 at 1:45 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Or perhaps it's just not ready.

You can complain all you want. They should have mentioned it earlier, but for all we know the PS3 version may be released a month after PC version. March 30 isn't a date set in stone. Right now it's not ready, and they came to a conclusion that it won't be ready in 3 months either. That's the only certain thing here.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#68 Jun 30 2010 at 1:53 PM Rating: Default
**
697 posts
Mathisyn wrote:
Sharwyn wrote:
Quote:
And for this reason, if this information is correct, I won't be playing FFXIV now. I refuse to be a second class citizen like the PS2 players were at launch for FFXI.


Don't be so elitist. Playing a game as large in scope in as FFXI on a PS2 is incredible. The exact same thing can be said about playing FFXIV on a PS3.

We're going to play a MMO on a console, and from the gameplay videos running on a PS3, it looks stellar. We're lucky SE aren't like other MMO devs - they at least support consoles...

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 2:38pm by Sharwyn


This isn't an "elitist" attitude. This is a ****** off 25 year loyal customer attitude.

There's nothing that could have happened in 2 weeks that could have made a 6 month difference in release dates. If there was a problem with the PC to PS3 porting process, they've known about it for some time. It's very poor customer relations on their part not to tell us of a possible delay as soon as they knew about one instead of perpetuating the "Everything is peachy, they'll all release together" line of BS they've been feeding us for a year.

I don't care if you think of it as elitist, or butthurt, or whatever other internet geekspeak you wanna call it, if this gets confirmed and comes out of the mouth of an actual SE employee, they'll lose a customer. Not just for FFXIV but for FFXI too.

I know what you're thinking; my money means nothing to SE and you're probably right, but I refuse to give my money to a company that craps on the loyal customer as badly as SE does.

If you were being treated like this at Walmart or Best Buy you wouldn't stand for it, you'd go somewhere else. Why should SE be treated any different.


Actually, it is elitist. You're saying that your 25 years of loyalty are going to be thrown down the drain because of 6 months and you lacking the funds or tech to run the game on the premier platform. that 6 months is 1/50th of the time you've been a loyal customer, and yet you feel its a deal breaker. Who cares what they said at E3, would you rather them release a buggy port of the ps3 version in September, or wait a few months so they can properly port it and you get a better polished product. It's a business, sometimes development doesn't go as intended, and decisions are made. You'll either quit and no one will miss you, or you'll come back and pretend you didn't whine over a 6 month delay.

At the end of the day 9-22-10 is WAY earlier than anyone guessed, so really, its not like they tried to mislead or hurt anyone's feelings. I tell you what, when you get on with the ps3 version, find me, my name will be Meryl Stryfe, I'll give you some gil, some weapons, and help you with getting your bearings in the world, as i plan to do for many of my friends who only own ps3's. Just because one version is further along and releasing sooner doesn't mean that those people will ignore and brush aside the newcomers in march; in fact it was quite the opposite in ffxi with 360 and ps2 newbies, and I'm sure won't be an issue this time around either.
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#69 Jun 30 2010 at 2:10 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Awesome. I'm super excited that I'll be 6 months behind to start another MMO. So much for the worldwide crossplatform launch.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#70 Jun 30 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
I'm really disappointed that SE is sacrificing the equality of it's players just to compete with WoW's upcoming expansion, if that is really their intent. I personally would be more than happy to wait another few months for a PC version if it meant everyone got to start at the same time, even though my rig can handle the game. It absolutely isn't fair to people who bought a PS3 with the thought in mind that it would be on equal footing with PC users. People were misled, that's all there is to it. :/


That's more or less my sentiment.

One or two months later, that would be understandable and bearable. If it exceeds that, I'd just as soon they wait until both versions are ready. I know a lot of people won't even play the game if they can't play at release.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#71 Jun 30 2010 at 2:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Yea it's not fair to PS3 players and I'm really hoping that the March date is just a placeholder b/c they weren't sure when it would be done.

I don't understand how they could let Sony go up and say "WW, PC + PS3" like that. Did they tell Sony right after "PS...um, we can't do that"? Along with that, I don't think people will be 2nd class citizens for getting the game 6 months later. That's just silly.
#72 Jun 30 2010 at 2:50 PM Rating: Decent
**
495 posts
Guys the 2011 thing is clearly a placeholder. For all we know it could only be delayed by a couple months and release in November or earlier. It will release when its ready to release, you shouldn't be asking for SE to wait on the PS3 release just so a full simultaneous release is assured and you definitely shouldn't be asking for it to release if its a bug ridden mess. It will come when it will come. It's frustrating I know, I was planning to get the PS3 release too and make that my main so I can sit and play on the couch or in my bed but it just means I will have to wait.

Secondly even if PS3 users are a bit later, its not like they are 'really' going to missing much. The first 5-6 months of any MMORPG release are always riddled with problems, no amount of beta testing will improve those chances. Its just a fact that something is bound to go wrong during the release time and the more the PC users get to play early, the smoother the PS3 eventual release will be. So when the PS3 users get the game it will be a much smoother and enjoyable game (in theory).

The only really, really disappointing thing for me is the price on alts. I know you can play the game and get 100% of the content on one character, but alts were only $1 on FFXI, it just feels like a slap in the face and money grabbing. Guess I'll wait and see just how much you can customize your 'retainer'. If you can design it like a normal character and even name it then it won't be that bad. I plan to get a second account and with the PS3 release being delayed, it just means that second account will come much later >.>
#73 Jun 30 2010 at 2:54 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
jschaub wrote:
Sharwyn wrote:
We're lucky SE aren't like other MMO devs - they at least support consoles...


Because we've supported them for the last 30 years. FF started on consoles, and we've been funding them.


So you think that FF1 was created on the NES using the NES?

Get real, if you want to play RIGHT NOW then you'll upgrade your PC. Otherwise you'll wait and play on your PS3. The good thing is you'll miss out on months worth of teething and broken quests and such. Oh, and you'll know what sort of character you want to play. Where as when the PS3 version comes out and data has been collected I'll be deciding if it's worth it to "reroll".
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#74 Jun 30 2010 at 3:02 PM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
I would probably be able to get over the long delay if it wasn't for the fact the most of the friends I've been planning on playing with will be on the PC. Its not all about missing the launch with 'everyone' (though I have always wanted to be on the ground floor of an MMO that actually succeeded *coughAoCcough*) its that if I don't my friends would be 6 months ahead in content and skill.
#75 Jun 30 2010 at 3:18 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Awesome. I'm super excited that I'll be 6 months behind to start another MMO. So much for the worldwide crossplatform launch.


They mentioned that the game will be released worldwide simultaneously unlike FFXI was, it's obviously going to be a cross-platform MMORPG again, they put more emphasis that no playerbase will get a headstart over another. JP release of FFXI we had a year+ headstart on NA players. FFXIV everyone starts off on the same foot. PS3 version will come when it comes but yeah as someone said, it's not a race. Being "behind" in an MMORPG doesn't mean anything till you start the MMORPG YEARS later and support shifted focus. Like FFXI, if you start now you're pretty much screwed on a lot of content.

Starting a brand new MMORPG months after others mean nothing because the content won't expand that quickly. It's disheartening but you have to slow down a bit and realize the game will be set in stone for at least a year and a half before they expand it..which means the only thing you're missing out on is server crashes when millions try to log in on day one and patches to fix the game and tons of maintenance. If anything it's actually a bit better to start later when the game stablizes.

____________________________

#76 Jun 30 2010 at 3:28 PM Rating: Good
*
140 posts
I have a feeling people's standards for parties will be much higher after a 6-month time frame, however. People who are just starting off on the PS3 won't have the knowledge or experience of going through multiple parties, knowing the ins and outs of their respective jobs, the 'accepted' exp rate of a party, etc. Much of this problem will stem from the fractured release. No matter how well-geared you are, it won't make up for that time lost that you could've used to make yourself better at the game while partying in whatever version of Valkurm Dunes XIV is going to incorporate.
#77 Jun 30 2010 at 3:34 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
SexyHumeTiberius wrote:
I have a feeling people's standards for parties will be much higher after a 6-month time frame, however. People who are just starting off on the PS3 won't have the knowledge or experience of going through multiple parties, knowing the ins and outs of their respective jobs, the 'accepted' exp rate of a party, etc. Much of this problem will stem from the fractured release. No matter how well-geared you are, it won't make up for that time lost that you could've used to make yourself better at the game while partying in whatever version of Valkurm Dunes XIV is going to incorporate.


I really doubt that. Unlike FFXI the classes are much too customizable to have 'standards' like "TANK > DD DD DD > HEALER > SUPPORT/BACKUP HEALER". Playing the Alpha and soon beta you'll realize this. Even then there's more of a focus on solo content for people who want to avoid partying, e.g majority of the guildleve system.

Partying will happen yes but you aren't missing anything by joining a little later even in FFXI once NA/EU joined the game they set their own standards which then made Japanese standards "incorrect".

This is what SE is wanting to avoid and why every userbase starts at once, just the platforms are spread apart.
____________________________

#78 Jun 30 2010 at 3:37 PM Rating: Good
*
118 posts
I have to agree, this is going to do nothing but split the community, and we're going to have to go through the same "PS3Noob" stuff the same way we went through the PS2 Release. You can say it's not going to happen and candy coat it all you want, but when you look at it, splitting the player base is a dumb idea.

Personally, being called a noob doesn't bother me, but so many times I was kicked from parties for not knowing the slightest, most minute details when I first started FFXI in favor of people who knew what was going on. Even after doing nothing but researching what to do before the release, it made no difference. And again, everyone on the forums can say, "I never did that, we always helped everyone." But if you think that everything will be fine and dandy I think it's being a bit naive.

Whatever happens happens. There's nothing anyone can do about it now except roll with the punches. But I'm fully against this split.
____________________________
Saba Sarabi
Lalafell Extraordinaire
Check out the Besaid Community Podcast
at www.justin.tv/gunslingerxvi every Weds. @ 9PM CST!
#79 Jun 30 2010 at 3:41 PM Rating: Default
I'm still surprised people even want to play MMO's on a console, I guess I've just always leaned towards PC's for these types of games. I guess I can see the appeal of sitting on the couch with a controller...but even at that, I rather have the mouse and keyboard going. I'm still surprised at this early release though (just erase my post if I can't talk about this), but the Alpha version was buggy beyond anything, to the point of unplayable even towards the end. I could only go about 20 seconds at best without having the game freeze. Hopefully with the influx of players from the Beta, it'll allow them to find more problems.
____________________________

#80 Jun 30 2010 at 3:47 PM Rating: Good
**
941 posts
Not sure if anyone saw - FFXIV Official Site is updated with info rolling in.
#81 Jun 30 2010 at 3:54 PM Rating: Good
**
495 posts
Quote:
I'm still surprised people even want to play MMO's on a console, I guess I've just always leaned towards PC's for these types of games. I guess I can see the appeal of sitting on the couch with a controller...but even at that, I rather have the mouse and keyboard going. I'm still surprised at this early release though (just erase my post if I can't talk about this), but the Alpha version was buggy beyond anything, to the point of unplayable even towards the end. I could only go about 20 seconds at best without having the game freeze. Hopefully with the influx of players from the Beta, it'll allow them to find more problems.


Most the issues with the alpha client are server side or have already been remedied in the beta client (Slower combat in alpha = faster in beta). And like others have said... alpha is alpha, and alpha literally hasn't changed much at all since it released 2-3 months back. That's 2-3 months they have been working on stuff people said were issues, that doesn't include the combat system which they were already planning to change before alpha even began. It seems server stabilization is really the only thing holding them back from releasing at this point and the more people they get for beta the faster the server will likely get stabilized and be ready for release client.

And I love playing MMOs with a gamepad. As long as you can setup macros to do most of your informative and twitch gameplay then you basically never needed to touch a keyboard during playing time for FFXI. That kind of experience (imo) is severly lacking in the MMORPG department outside of FFXI. You shouldn't have to sit up right, constantly have a mouse in hand, in order to play a game, especially if you play for hours on end. Its just uncomfortable to me now. So in that regard it is to me a shame that the PS3 version is delayed but thankfully I can play with a gamepad on the computer just as easily.

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 5:58pm by croythegreat
#82 Jun 30 2010 at 3:59 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
Well, if the date IS a placeholder/mistake, SE should be clarifying that ASAP. I'm sure they're well aware of the discontent today's announcement has caused.

For me? It's a major disappointment. My intention was to play on PS3 at launch. It's possible I can swing things to get a system in place for PC launch, but it'll likely be a much less robust system than if I were building one at my convenience sometime in early 2011.

It's gonna be harder on the group I intend to play with. All former XI players, they've been reconnecting over social sites and email slowly reforming the core of our LS from years ago. There's been alot of excitement about coming into the new FF on day one all together... except a little less than half will be playing on PC. So now what? The PC player are not all gonna wait on the PS3 launch, anymore than I could expect the PS3 contingent to all go out and get PCs up to spec. It's a pretty good group, but asking people to wait half a year on others isn't gonna work smoothly... there's gonna be fractures along platform lines. Can they be mended over time? Perhaps, sure. But Years later we Still hear the cries about the "JP advantage" of an earlier launch. This game was (as of 2 weeks ago) supposed to eliminate all region and platform preference. Anyone that doesn't believe this will be an issue - an issue repeated ad nauseum throughout LS/Companies across all servers is being naive.
#83 Jun 30 2010 at 4:06 PM Rating: Good
**
736 posts
Quote:
Not sure if anyone saw - FFXIV Official Site is updated with info rolling in.



Ohhhh. Botanist got the boot for Beta.
#84 Jun 30 2010 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
Something smells fishy.

The test schedule was supposed to be a "brief" alpha version for people who attended Vanafest just to get a server up and running and stable and was to be followed by a closed beta. Then there was to be an open beta. The entire beta process was supposed to run longer than the FFXI beta (which was just over four months) and the game shipped 3 weeks after the FFXI beta ended.

So now the "brief" alpha has run 3 months, the closed beta (for which no invites have yet gone out...all invites up to the last week of the alpha were for the alpha test) is scheduled to start early July. That gives them just over two months of beta testing and then ship the retail version for PC onry for the end of September?

Something tells me Wada had a hand in this. I can't see the actual development team eager to ship ahead of schedule when they haven't even had a chance to get tester feedback on anything involving the beta client yet.

At first glance, SE is blowing it already. For me, I could care less when the PS3 version comes out but for PS3 people reading this, I would agree with the "slap in the face" comments. With the number of people who have found out that their PC won't run XIV as they might like (or at all) and made plans to play on PS3, it's a questionable decision to stagger the release dates.

An FFXIV branded tumbler?

In-game item that lets you "progress faster"?

With the number of official sources now suggesting very strongly that this is legit, I have to say I expected a lot more from SE this time around.

Way to prove you've learned approximately jack about your market outside of Japan, SE.
#85 Jun 30 2010 at 4:16 PM Rating: Decent
**
444 posts
I honestly don't understand what the fuss is all about, aside from the ********** I'll have to wait longer to play".
There are organised forums and wikis everywhere about FFXIV which will provide everything a new PS3 player will need at launch. If anything, they'll have it easier and will catch up super fast >_>;
That being said, I understand some people might feel frustrated that they didn't get a new PC or whatever because the PS3 version was expected to come out together with the PC version, /comfort.
#86 Jun 30 2010 at 4:17 PM Rating: Good
***
1,022 posts
They should hold off on the special goggles until the PS3 release so that those that are hopping on board during the 2nd release can have a fair chance at catching up.
____________________________
Main character: AutumEmber
60blm/whm Rank 7 Windurst
Linkshell: SeraphsDarkside
Server: Bismarck
#87 Jun 30 2010 at 4:17 PM Rating: Decent
45 posts
The PS3 version was postponed so that there could be a simultaneous launch with the XBOX 360 version............





OK..I made that up....lol
____________________________
Jayray
Galka
Server: Ramuh
72/RDM 75/WAR 73/DRG 51/BLM 51/RNG 60/SMN 59/NIN
29/WHM 42/THF 37/DRK 52/MNK 49/PLD
Merits: +6 axe +4 Critical Attack +4 Evasion +3 Double Attack +2 Hand to Hand + 4 MP +1 STR
Warriors Charge & Tomahawk
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?31779
#88 Jun 30 2010 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
**
736 posts
Quote:
In-game item that lets you "progress faster"?


Mmmmm. I agree with you, there's alot of this that has the faint starchy smell of a Suit.

Trinket-wise,
The Onion helm isn't so bad, really. "Quickens recovery from KO".

Those goggles though. "Quickens skill progression".
Either it's a small enough boost to not present a game-transforming advantage. Or, it would be otherwise available to non-pre-orderers. Possibly a decently difficult to get or moderately expensive in-game item.

Although a niggling doubt in the back of my head remarks how very alike this thing is to the sort of trinkets you normally find in cash shops. Normally I wouldn't think they'd really be stupid enough to court the public outrage of double dipping, but god knows their pricing model casts a downright miserly 'nickle and dimeing' overtone.





Edited, Jun 30th 2010 7:09pm by Zemzelette
#89 Jun 30 2010 at 4:51 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
39 posts
well, im pretty sure that the goggles will have some type of recharge timer or something like the exp items were in 11. c'mon, this is SE were talking about lol
And as for the ps3 delay... well.. it does suck but like many have said, if you want to play that badly, get a new pc or otherwise wait it out.
with that said, i have no disposable income atm so im just going to have to wait or buy a pc version and install it on my friends uber pc lol

and we should all cool down! im 100% certain that the ps3 date is just a placeholder.. not even SE is this stupid.. they would be giving the finger to every ps3 owner not only overseas but on hometurf too.
I expect a december date at the latest.
____________________________
You say this ferry goes to a place called Eorzea?
Heh... I suppose this is destiny...

MNK75 SAM75 NIN75 BLU60 THF54 RDM40 WAR40

Tienshinhan of the Ragnarok server.
RETIRED
#90 Jun 30 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Excellent
**
296 posts
Eeri wrote:
I honestly don't understand what the fuss is all about, aside from the ********** I'll have to wait longer to play".
There are organised forums and wikis everywhere about FFXIV which will provide everything a new PS3 player will need at launch. If anything, they'll have it easier and will catch up super fast >_>;
That being said, I understand some people might feel frustrated that they didn't get a new PC or whatever because the PS3 version was expected to come out together with the PC version, /comfort.



That is precisely the point. Many people didn't want to jump into a game that had a wiki and a walkthrough for everything... complete with recommended party makeup and gear requirements. They wanted to join day one to be part of discovering the world themselves, without an established community telling them what to do and how to do it.

That can be done if you keep to yourselves and ignore the information out as well that any PC players that have already been through the content... but it's a helluva lot harder to do 6 months in than Day 1.
#91 Jun 30 2010 at 5:25 PM Rating: Decent
*
117 posts
BS why can't the rls ps3 version the same as pc... -_-

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 7:31pm by YoGix
#92 Jun 30 2010 at 6:13 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SE state they wanted to do at least 6 months of Beta testing before retail release?

Edit: I'm also going for the PS3 version. MY computer wouldn't be able be able to handle it, nor can I afford to put money in to a decent rig. I don't own a PS3 yet, but I do have some money put away for when a Official release is placed on PS3.

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 8:16pm by Demonadrastos
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#93 Jun 30 2010 at 6:18 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
Demonadrastos wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SE state they wanted to do at least 6 months of Beta testing before retail release?


They said they wanted a longer Beta period than they had for XI, which was 4 months long. They could have been referring to the entire Alpha/Beta process as a whole, I suppose. Or, they could have bowed to pressures from within the company (or from competition) and decided to push the PC client at the expense of the PS3 client and a longer testing period.

We won't know until the devs explain...
#94 Jun 30 2010 at 6:46 PM Rating: Good
*
81 posts
Quote:
I wouldn't get up in arms over that particular date just yet.
March 31st just so happens to the end of Square Enix's Fiscal Year.


It's slated for early March, not March 31st, so this seems to be the real deal.

As a PS3 user, I'm not thrilled about this either to put it mildly.

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 8:47pm by KierraXIV
____________________________

#95 Jun 30 2010 at 6:58 PM Rating: Decent
Zemzelette wrote:
Quote:
In-game item that lets you "progress faster"?


Mmmmm. I agree with you, there's alot of this that has the faint starchy smell of a Suit.

Trinket-wise,
The Onion helm isn't so bad, really. "Quickens recovery from KO".

Those goggles though. "Quickens skill progression".
Either it's a small enough boost to not present a game-transforming advantage. Or, it would be otherwise available to non-pre-orderers. Possibly a decently difficult to get or moderately expensive in-game item.

Although a niggling doubt in the back of my head remarks how very alike this thing is to the sort of trinkets you normally find in cash shops. Normally I wouldn't think they'd really be stupid enough to court the public outrage of double dipping, but god knows their pricing model casts a downright miserly 'nickle and dimeing' overtone.


I agree in that it sounds very much like a cash shop kind of deal, and I don't like that. I don't like it at all. The only MMOs that I know of that offer something like that are F2P MMOs. Adding something like that to a subscription based MMO (whether or not you can get it at a cash shop) rankles. And I'm not sure which idea is worse...that you can get it at all via pre-order, or the idea that you might be able to get it from a cash shop.

I'm trying to stay open minded about all of this (shortened beta, questionable pre-order perks, etc.) but I just can't help but wonder if maybe someone hasn't gotten a bit overzealous looking at financial statements and has since stopped thinking about gameplay. Up until today there were things announced about the design of the game that I wasn't all too keen on but I just dismissed my concerns as subjectivity. This is less of a subjective issue for me. I'm not really interested in investing time in an MMO when if it becomes clear that at any point in the future, an out of touch CFO can step in and make a mess of things.
#96 Jun 30 2010 at 7:04 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
I agree in that it sounds very much like a cash shop kind of deal, and I don't like that. I don't like it at all. The only MMOs that I know of that offer something like that are F2P MMOs. Adding something like that to a subscription based MMO (whether or not you can get it at a cash shop) rankles. And I'm not sure which idea is worse...that you can get it at all via pre-order, or the idea that you might be able to get it from a cash shop.

I'm trying to stay open minded about all of this (shortened beta, questionable pre-order perks, etc.) but I just can't help but wonder if maybe someone hasn't gotten a bit overzealous looking at financial statements and has since stopped thinking about gameplay. Up until today there were things announced about the design of the game that I wasn't all too keen on but I just dismissed my concerns as subjectivity. This is less of a subjective issue for me. I'm not really interested in investing time in an MMO when if it becomes clear that at any point in the future, an out of touch CFO can step in and make a mess of things.



Absolutely agree. Even outside of the very disappointing decision to reverse their stated intentions to bring out both versions at the same time, we got a load of new info on timing and order bonuses. And all of it sucks. I have a hard time reconciling the new timeline, cash-shop, order bonuses, and staggered schedule with a company that has the community's well being as its primary focus.
#97 Jun 30 2010 at 7:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
763 posts
Quote:
company that has the community's well being as its primary focus


Are you talking about the same company that the rest of us are?

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 9:47pm by Mathisyn
____________________________
Mikhalia wrote:
I care that the "No Child Left Behind" act has failed you.
#98 Jun 30 2010 at 8:04 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I already reordered two copies of the CE, so my fiancee and I will be getting all the goodies. I do have to say though, that I am somewhat interested ad learning EXACTLY what "progress faster" means. The problem with a phrase like that is it could mean anything from "It gives you +1 STR so you kill quicker and therefore progress faster" to "Permanent +300% XP bonus", and it kinda leaves us up to determining what we think it means, and then complaining/lauding what we think it means.

Still, as far as I'm concerned, starting 8 days early and first month free is worth the extra $25 ($12 if you subtract a month subscription). Not really liking the $3 per extra character thing though (I'm REALLY hoping that storage space isn't an issue like it was in FFXI where you NEED a mule, but if it is, I hope that the free retainer provides it).

I was also extremely surprised that they would announce the game to be released in late September. I wasn't expecting it to be any earlier than December 1st at the earliest. I'm wondering if they're just totally skipping the open beta, or if the 6 month gap is their take on Microsoft's Windows releases: "Ship it now, patch it later, and let our customers foot the bill." But then that's just conspiracy theory.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#99 Jun 30 2010 at 8:18 PM Rating: Decent
**
296 posts
Mathisyn wrote:
Quote:
company that has the community's well being as its primary focus


Are you talking about the same company that the rest of us are?

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 9:47pm by Mathisyn


Thanks for contributing something meaningful to the discussion...

#100 Jun 30 2010 at 8:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
763 posts
ascorbic wrote:
Mathisyn wrote:
Quote:
company that has the community's well being as its primary focus


Are you talking about the same company that the rest of us are?

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 9:47pm by Mathisyn


Thanks for contributing something meaningful to the discussion...



Oh...

You mean like you just did?
____________________________
Mikhalia wrote:
I care that the "No Child Left Behind" act has failed you.
#101 Jun 30 2010 at 8:23 PM Rating: Default
**
296 posts
Mathisyn wrote:
ascorbic wrote:
Mathisyn wrote:
Quote:
company that has the community's well being as its primary focus


Are you talking about the same company that the rest of us are?

Edited, Jun 30th 2010 9:47pm by Mathisyn


Thanks for contributing something meaningful to the discussion...



Oh...

You mean like you just did?



Oh lord... You've seen my posts, I've seen your one liners. Want to talk about the topic? I'm all ears. Want to act like the class clown? Good luck with that.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)