Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Reality check- The advantages for a March /logonFollow

#1 Jun 30 2010 at 10:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
283 posts
So, I was pretty excited about the 9/30/10 release date of the game, as I've been following this fairly closely since E3 2009. And I felt the entire gambit of emotions posted in the new threads started today. I checked online for prices of new computer systems as I intended to start the game off on PS3, since my iMac is, unfortunately, locked into its 3 year old graphics card. It took me until just now to realize I needed a reality check.

On 9/22 or 9/30/10 - Thousands of people will be creating accounts, servers will be congested and more than likely there will be times where you can't log in, there will be server maintenance ironing out bugs and server upgrades. We'll probably get that in March, too. Lower level areas will be over camped, there will be a lot of discovery about how things work, how they don't work, the wiki knowledge base will grow by leaps and bounds and those who log in a little later will have that as a reference. Also, by that time, I would assume some kind of FFIXVah.com will be up and running and we'll be able to examine some sort of gaming economy and make a wise choice as to where we would like to go. Linkshells (or..err.. what ever they will be called in XIV) will have time to be established so it will be easier to become part of a stable community.

In my years of playing FFXI (which.. I retired from, again, officially now) I have seen people start the game 7 years after the release. While they do not get the same experience as the community that started from the beginning they do get to experience the game. Of course there is no "magic tingly feeling" that you have when you're playing the game for the first time along others that have just started... I think I'll have that "magic and tingly feeling" in March, should I decide FFXIV is for me.

Square-Enix is separating the release dates for PS3 and PC. No amount whining, shouting, crying, belly-aching, account canceling, Santeria, voodoo, hexes or hungry strikes will change that. But what also will not change is this: When you log on on March 2011 you'll have hundreds of new PS3 players to experience the newness with you. There will always be people further along in the story than you are, and you'll bound to be further along in some aspect of the game then the guy next to you. There will be people who create accounts before you and people will create accounts long after you. Expansions will roll out. And in a years time no one will care if you started in September '09 or March '10.

I'll ask you a question.... Assuming you play an MMO now... look at the people in your own guild or shell. Did you all start in the same month? The same year?
____________________________


#2 Jun 30 2010 at 10:13 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I think the inherent problem, for someone planning to start a new game, is that they expect to arrive in a virgin landscape with only a few others and watch people trickle in. And unless you start at launch, you're arriving in a game that already has players, has preferred caps, has player-created terms and all this stuff that is already there. It's still new to you, but not everyone is content with that.

And to be honest, people have been playing the Alpha for a while anyway; so even those of us who join on September 22nd will still have players who have "been there, done that".
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#3 Jun 30 2010 at 10:18 PM Rating: Decent
**
263 posts
Quote:
So, I was pretty excited about the 9/30/10 release date of the game, as I've been following this fairly closely since E3 2009. And I felt the entire gambit of emotions posted in the new threads started today. I checked online for prices of new computer systems as I intended to start the game off on PS3, since my iMac is, unfortunately, locked into its 3 year old graphics card. It took me until just now to realize I needed a reality check.

On 9/22 or 9/30/10 - Thousands of people will be creating accounts, servers will be congested and more than likely there will be times where you can't log in, there will be server maintenance ironing out bugs and server upgrades. We'll probably get that in March, too. Lower level areas will be over camped, there will be a lot of discovery about how things work, how they don't work, the wiki knowledge base will grow by leaps and bounds and those who log in a little later will have that as a reference. Also, by that time, I would assume some kind of FFIXVah.com will be up and running and we'll be able to examine some sort of gaming economy and make a wise choice as to where we would like to go. Linkshells (or..err.. what ever they will be called in XIV) will have time to be established so it will be easier to become part of a stable community.

In my years of playing FFXI (which.. I retired from, again, officially now) I have seen people start the game 7 years after the release. While they do not get the same experience as the community that started from the beginning they do get to experience the game. Of course there is no "magic tingly feeling" that you have when you're playing the game for the first time along others that have just started... I think I'll have that "magic and tingly feeling" in March, should I decide FFXIV is for me.

Square-Enix is separating the release dates for PS3 and PC. No amount whining, shouting, crying, belly-aching, account canceling, Santeria, voodoo, hexes or hungry strikes will change that. But what also will not change is this: When you log on on March 2011 you'll have hundreds of new PS3 players to experience the newness with you. There will always be people further along in the story than you are, and you'll bound to be further along in some aspect of the game then the guy next to you. There will be people who create accounts before you and people will create accounts long after you. Expansions will roll out. And in a years time no one will care if you started in September '09 or March '10.

I'll ask you a question.... Assuming you play an MMO now... look at the people in your own guild or shell. Did you all start in the same month? The same year?


Wow you are so right.

Despite the fact that SE introduced this game at E3 at the PLAYSTATION 3 BOOTH and has since it's introduction stated this game would have a simultaneous release and are now basically giving the middle finger to countless PS3 users who will have to wait 6 months longer (9 months from now or if you think about it almost another year) to play I am OK with it because you say I will get that same tingly feeling PC users will get in Sept.

OP I am truly not trying to be a **** to you but I am ****** off beyond words right now and I have every right to be. SE pushed this game as a PS3 game and has since the beginning pushed this as a simultaneous release and with this announcement today consciously decided to **** over a lot of loyal people.





Edited, Jul 1st 2010 12:33am by runway
#4 Jun 30 2010 at 10:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
107 posts
I disagree with the OP as well. No matter how you try to justify it, you're missing out on a lot starting the game late.

Am I upset we aren't getting a PS3 launch in september? Heck yea I am, my PC isn't ready for this. But you play the cards you're dealt so for me it's time to just bone up and upgrade this thing.

No way I'm missing the launch of what has been my most anticipated game for a very long time.
#5 Jun 30 2010 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
runway wrote:
Wow you are so right.

Despite the fact that SE introduced this game at E3 at the PLAYSTATION 3 BOOTHand has since it's introduction stated this game would have a simultaneous release and are now basically giving the middle finger to countless PS3 users who will have to wait 6 months longer (9 months from now or if you think about it almost another year) to play I am OK with it because you say I will get that same tingly feeling PC users will get in Sept.


I love how you take the 6 months (which hasn't even been confirmed; only the PC date has, PS3 could be sooner for all we know), round it up to 9 (counting in the 3 months PC users have to wait as well) and then round it up to 12 (because 9 is almost a year), basically doubling the initial time to make it sound so horrible.

For the most part, my feeling has been "that kinda sucks for PS3 players", but you're just acting like such a child, ******** up half a dozen threads with your temper tantrums, that it's just becoming a pain in the ***.

You know what? You have your precious little PS3 that will run the game. If you want to play it sooner, upgrade your computer. What would you rather do, wait a few months to save some money, or spend some money to play sooner? The choice is totally yours. I mean that in the most literal sense, it is 100% up to you whether you'd like to pay more to start sooner or pay nothing to start later. TOTALLY your call.

I think that you're one of those people who sat there smugly thinking "Haha, all you ******* PC retards spend so much money and I can play the same thing for way less! You all suck!" and now that this ability to be glib has been stripped from you, you've gone into adolescent ********* mode.

Furthermore, why do you keep talking about how much longer you have to wait to play? Didn't you post, just four hours ago:

Quote:
I'm done. @#%^ YOU SE I am canceling my FFXI account right now and will not purchase FFXIV in 2011 you will never get another @#%^ing dime from me.


So if you're not buying it, then you don't have to wait at all. You'll (allegedly) never be playing it, so why should it matter to you if it's coming out in September 2010 or March 2011 or March 2013?

So which is it? Are you not playing XIV? Or are you playing it? Did you even cancel your XI subscription, or did you not do it (or did you reactivate it an hour later)?

If you're not going to play, then I don't see the purpose of sticking around the forums and complaining.

And to all the other PS3 users who are taking it in stride: I genuinely do wish you guys had a simultaneous release date, and I hope that SE will change their minds and, at the very least, move the PS3 release date up to October/November if not September.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#6 Jun 30 2010 at 10:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
283 posts
I believe I have been misquoted.

runway wrote:
I am OK with it because you say I will get that same tingly feeling PC users will get in Sept.


deronguerra wrote:
Of course there is no "magic tingly feeling" that you have when you're playing the game for the first time along others that have just started... I think I'll have that "magic and tingly feeling" in March, should I decide FFXIV is for me.


But I am certainly happy that I am able to sway your mood. You've been /panic and /sadface all over the forums.
____________________________


#7 Jun 30 2010 at 10:47 PM Rating: Default
**
263 posts
Quote:
So if you're not buying it, then you don't have to wait at all. You'll (allegedly) never be playing it, so why should it matter to you if it's coming out in September 2010 or March 2011 or March 2013?

So which is it? Are you not playing XIV? Or are you playing it? Did you even cancel your XI subscription, or did you not do it (or did you reactivate it an hour later)?


FFXI account still canceled

Still not Buying FFXIV

It matters because I have been loyal to Square before they became SquareEnix. It matters because I started playing FFXI 6 months after the PC NA release. It matters because I watched Japanese players get a FFXI expansion before NA players. It matters because SE introduced this game at E3 at the PLAYSTATION BOOTH It matters because SE promised a simultaneous release and it matters to me because through all of the above I defended SE and continued to buy their products.

I have every right to be ****** off.

#8 Jun 30 2010 at 10:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
107 posts
Quote:
I have every right to be ****** off.


You do have every right to be ******* but no matter how much you complain and whine, nothing is going to change. You're taking your anger (over something that's not really such a HUGE deal) out on people who can't do anything for you. In fact, the only thing you're doing is angering more people and making them more unsympathetic towards PS3 users.
____________________________
We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland
#9 Jun 30 2010 at 11:04 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
runway wrote:
Quote:
So if you're not buying it, then you don't have to wait at all. You'll (allegedly) never be playing it, so why should it matter to you if it's coming out in September 2010 or March 2011 or March 2013?

So which is it? Are you not playing XIV? Or are you playing it? Did you even cancel your XI subscription, or did you not do it (or did you reactivate it an hour later)?


FFXI account still canceled

Still not Buying FFXIV

It matters because I have been loyal to Square before they became SquareEnix. It matters because I started playing FFXI 6 months after the PC NA release. It matters because I watched Japanese players get a FFXI expansion before NA players. It matters because SE introduced this game at E3 at the PLAYSTATION BOOTH It matters because SE promised a simultaneous release and it matters to me because through all of the above I defended SE and continued to buy their products.

I have every right to be ****** off.


So you started FFXI 6 months late. You lived. The game is still coming out for Playstation 3. It's just coming out later. You'll be fine starting XIV 6 months late if you choose to do so, or you can upgrade your computer and start it "on time".

You are certainly welcome to be ****** off, but you've crossed the line from "customer angry at SE" (who doesn't read this board) to "angry poster that is just repeating himself".

The only thing keeping me from going on a rant further than my last post is that I genuinely do feel bad for PS3 players and I'd like to not make them feel worse as collateral damage of telling you to kindly sit on it and rotate.

Reasonable people can pretty much agree that PS3 users are getting shafted, but it doesn't need to be repeated in half a dozen topics. It's getting old and annoying, and it's a lot harder to feel bad for someone who is arguing about a company that isn't present to listen or respond to anything you say.

It sucks, yeah, but as I've said before: You have the choice of playing on PS3 (it was demoed at the PS3 booth, it will still be on PS3), playing on PC (will cost a little more but you can start sooner), or not playing at all (no waiting; you can start not playing as soon as you like, regardless of what console you choose to not play on, and without paying a cent).

Complaining endlessly about it doesn't change or affect anything though, other than to get people who may have initially agreed with you to be annoyed at you.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#10 Jun 30 2010 at 11:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
72 posts
runway wrote:

I have every right to be ****** off.



Did you hear that guys? It is your RIGHT to be playing FFXIV! Not a privilege, but a god-given RIGHT!

I think the constitution needs to be updated. Freedom of speech, religion and Final Fantasy XIV.
#11 Jun 30 2010 at 11:22 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
edhoo wrote:
runway wrote:

I have every right to be ****** off.



Did you hear that guys? It is your RIGHT to be playing FFXIV! Not a privilege, but a god-given RIGHT!

I think the constitution needs to be updated. Freedom of speech, religion and Final Fantasy XIV.


And the right to bear arms.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#12 Jun 30 2010 at 11:25 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
Reality Check - you never mentioned an advantage....

OP, I understand your sentiment. But no amount of ballyhoo or bluster could construe a six month sideline as an advantage. People flock to new MMOs to NOT have Wikis made to tell them what to do. Server crashes happen whenever a massive influx players arrive. And there will still be patches, bugs, and server maintenance for the life of the title.

What people echoing these sentiments keep forgetting is that many of us aren't going to XIV by ourselves. We're going with friends, relatives, former LS mates, and new Companies forming in anticipation. OF COURSE there will be people to advance with at PS3 launch. Quite possibly more than PC launch. But the groups people have been planning become fractured, because only days ago, everyone was assured that it wouldn't matter what they played on, and where they played from. The release would be the same.

I'm still going to XIV. Even if I can't get my PC going in time, I'll go at PS3 launch. But this has thrown a massive wrench in the plans of my friends that wanted to join in and learn a fresh new MMO together. And fracturing communities is never "advantageous".
#13 Jun 30 2010 at 11:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
121 posts
What really bugs me about this whole topic is how people are just telling PS3 users "Oh, stop whining, you won't have all the bugs/broken quests/server crashes like the PC users did in the first 6 months, you'll have info on how to do stuff, and you won't really be 'behind'"

But these people are forgetting, PS3 users just want to experience the BRAND NEW game along with everyone else. They want to see what its like WITHOUT all of the info already out there, some want to find out the info themselves and be the one's to share it. Also, to say how we won't be really be behind the PC users is ridiculous, PC users will have higher level classes already, PC users will have a short monopoly in the crafting market. Sure, the PS3 users will eventually catch up, but I think that's just avoiding the real problem.

And to people saying "just upgrade your PC, or wait", stop being pompous @#%^s, please. Many people, including myself, had already bought a PS3 for this game. Its ridiculous to suggest something that costs an extra ~$300(Depending on the stats of your computer) to upgrade, ~$800 for people who would have to buy/build a completely new computer since their current computer isnt upgradeable to this game's standards. Yes, reality check indeed.

Edited, Jul 1st 2010 1:59am by Mezzura
#14 Jul 01 2010 at 12:19 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
283 posts
ascorbic wrote:
Reality Check - you never mentioned an advantage....".


Some may agree entering a game after release to be advantageous to avoid congestion, or a few months to see how the game is received, some like to have a wiki base up so they can decide how to develop their character, basing it on what has been tried. The "dunes maybe barren now". 8 years after FFXI came out... But they certainly weren't within six months.

Six months on the sidelines is indeed a bummer. I know we all had our eyes on a big day where tens of thousands of people see the world of FFXIV for the first time, together. XI had staggered console entries (through four years) and is still successful and it's endgame player base is rich in diversity. Being "forced" to start late is major /suck. But the game, in the end, is what you make of it. And if you have already decided to kick and scream because you have a PS3 and not a PC you have to make a choice... Do you enter the game in thte second "wave"... Do you forget about this MMO that has had you checking here for new posts for the last year? Do you pick up a second job for a new PC ?

I keep circling in my mind SE's social responsibility statement: it's a game. Don't forget your real life. If you decide to make FFXIV so important you need to scream and shout...max out your credit card (not the verified by visa one) and get a rig to support it. You know the quality of your life will forever depend on it. For those that have the strength and will to put your RL priorities first: accept the fact you may be behind the pact when the PS3 gates open. But enjoy ghe experience you have... If you don't enjoy it, save your 13/month. I doubt you woild enjoy it any more or less if you started in the PC launch
____________________________


#15 Jul 01 2010 at 12:54 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Mezzura wrote:
And to people saying "just upgrade your PC, or wait", stop being pompous @#%^s, please. Many people, including myself, had already bought a PS3 for this game. Its ridiculous to suggest something that costs an extra ~$300(Depending on the stats of your computer) to upgrade, ~$800 for people who would have to buy/build a completely new computer since their current computer isnt upgradeable to this game's standards. Yes, reality check indeed.


For the record, I wasn't saying it to everyone; I was mostly saying it to runway, who has taken it upon himself to pitch a fit in every thread that he possibly can.

I don't dispute that some people would rather not upgrade their computer and for them it sucks that they have to wait longer to play. I was mostly directing my rage at one person in specific.

The main people I feel bad for are those who ran right out and bought a PS3 as soon as their system bombed the benchmark. Instead of $300 for the PS3 (and probably another 50-100 if you bought a game or two for it), they could have spent a little more (about 500-600 total) and upgraded their computer. Instead they're now stuck with the choice of either waiting for 6 months or returning their PS3 (which is still perfectly good otherwise; don't get me wrong).

It's very unfortunate, and I think that had SE told everyone that the platforms would be staggered BEFORE everyone rand their benchmarks, it would have left people in a position to make a more informed decision. Now, the people who hastily jumped to a decision under the assumption that what they were told was to be true, have had what they were told changed in such a way that it causes a massive problem.

I must admit myself that I knew my fiancee's computer is going to run about $400 to upgrade to be FFXIV ready, and that she and I partially considered "Saving $100" and buying a PS3 and just hooking it up in our computer room. I'm glad we didn't, now knowing what we all know, but I would have been rather peeved if we had, and I can't say I blame anyone who is.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#16 Jul 01 2010 at 1:04 AM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
deronguerra wrote:
ascorbic wrote:
Reality Check - you never mentioned an advantage....".


Some may agree entering a game after release to be advantageous to avoid congestion, or a few months to see how the game is received, some like to have a wiki base up so they can decide how to develop their character, basing it on what has been tried. The "dunes maybe barren now". 8 years after FFXI came out... But they certainly weren't within six months.

Six months on the sidelines is indeed a bummer. I know we all had our eyes on a big day where tens of thousands of people see the world of FFXIV for the first time, together. XI had staggered console entries (through four years) and is still successful and it's endgame player base is rich in diversity. Being "forced" to start late is major /suck. But the game, in the end, is what you make of it. And if you have already decided to kick and scream because you have a PS3 and not a PC you have to make a choice... Do you enter the game in thte second "wave"... Do you forget about this MMO that has had you checking here for new posts for the last year? Do you pick up a second job for a new PC ?

I keep circling in my mind SE's social responsibility statement: it's a game. Don't forget your real life. If you decide to make FFXIV so important you need to scream and shout...max out your credit card (not the verified by visa one) and get a rig to support it. You know the quality of your life will forever depend on it. For those that have the strength and will to put your RL priorities first: accept the fact you may be behind the pact when the PS3 gates open. But enjoy ghe experience you have... If you don't enjoy it, save your 13/month. I doubt you woild enjoy it any more or less if you started in the PC launch


I read your entire post, and can't help but think you didn't get past the first sentence you quoted of mine...

There are lots of ways to think about this as an individual. Nothing you posted addressed the problems with dealing with such an unfortunate development as a group. I could upgrade. In fact, that's what I'm likely to do. I could wait. But I can't do that for a couple dozen people that were trying to enter a new game together. Some don't have the financial flexibility I have. Some wouldn't even be considering a new MMO if it weren't for an affordable hardware option. That's not for me to judge, nor is it in my power to change. But I do have to live with the fractured group. Does that make sense?
#17 Jul 01 2010 at 3:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,537 posts
As a PC-only player, I'm excited about the fact that there will be a surge of newbies coming in six months after release. This doesn't help PS3-only players, but still, it's gonna be fun to look forward to for me.
____________________________

Activities:
FFXIV Beta Test
Starcraft II Silver League
#18 Jul 01 2010 at 3:36 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
39 posts
hehe, i guess you want to mentor some newbies huh? lol
____________________________
You say this ferry goes to a place called Eorzea?
Heh... I suppose this is destiny...

MNK75 SAM75 NIN75 BLU60 THF54 RDM40 WAR40

Tienshinhan of the Ragnarok server.
RETIRED
#19 Jul 01 2010 at 4:37 AM Rating: Decent
Why do people keep saying SE "promised" a simultaneous release? A plan is a plan, not a promise. I never once heard anyone from SE or Sony PROMISE anything.
#20 Jul 01 2010 at 4:56 AM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
People who buy FFXIV for ps3 and log in for the first time will have a huge advantage. They wheir know wheir to go to get what they need when they first start. Understand how the game works and everything else. Except they wont be playing it. I have a PC that i will run it on the low end of the game but i will buy it for my PS3 also and use that as my main to play the game.

50" tv or 16 inc momitor???? I'll go with the 50"
____________________________
BANNED

#21 Jul 01 2010 at 5:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
283 posts
The point of my OP is to quell the fears that I and any other person planning on playing the PS3 have about FFXIV. There are both advantages and disadvantages to the six month waiting. If you are still having trouble seeing the glass as half full, instead of half empty.. Well, I tried. I won't deny we were given only half a glass to begin with.

@ascorbic - I read the entire post. Your main point was about "fracturing the community" which I addressed.

ascorbic wrote:
Reality Check - you never mentioned an advantage.... ...fracturing communities is never "advantageous".

deronguerra wrote:
XI had staggered console entries (through four years) and is still successful and it's endgame player base is rich in diversity


You also made a point about wiki-bases
ascorbic wrote:
People flock to new MMOs to NOT have Wikis made to tell them what to do.

.. to which I'll say.. If you don't want to use them.. then don't.

.. Eventually the communities will meld together.. after the dust settles from Septembers big boom and March's.
deronguerra wrote:
There will always be people further along in the story than you are, and you'll bound to be further along in some aspect of the game then the guy next to you. There will be people who create accounts before you and people will create accounts long after you. Expansions will roll out. And in a years time no one will care if you started in September '09 or March '10.


^^ that about sums it all up. See everyone there!!
____________________________


#22 Jul 01 2010 at 6:10 AM Rating: Decent
**
697 posts
You're still here, runway? I thought we told you to leave. You can see none of the benefits like the OP and other posters mentioned.

Remember, the second you say you're "Done" ...no one cares what you say after that, its all flame bait.

I agree, PS3 users will have no dis-advantage. ****, when FFXI came out on 360 I personally donated over 100k in gil to helping new players get started. That doesn't exactly seem like a dis-advantage.
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#23 Jul 01 2010 at 6:31 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,022 posts
ascorbic wrote:
Reality Check - you never mentioned an advantage....

OP, I understand your sentiment. But no amount of ballyhoo or bluster could construe a six month sideline as an advantage. People flock to new MMOs to NOT have Wikis made to tell them what to do. Server crashes happen whenever a massive influx players arrive. And there will still be patches, bugs, and server maintenance for the life of the title.

What people echoing these sentiments keep forgetting is that many of us aren't going to XIV by ourselves. We're going with friends, relatives, former LS mates, and new Companies forming in anticipation. OF COURSE there will be people to advance with at PS3 launch. Quite possibly more than PC launch. But the groups people have been planning become fractured, because only days ago, everyone was assured that it wouldn't matter what they played on, and where they played from. The release would be the same.

I'm still going to XIV. Even if I can't get my PC going in time, I'll go at PS3 launch. But this has thrown a massive wrench in the plans of my friends that wanted to join in and learn a fresh new MMO together. And fracturing communities is never "advantageous".


This. A thousand times, this.
____________________________
Main character: AutumEmber
60blm/whm Rank 7 Windurst
Linkshell: SeraphsDarkside
Server: Bismarck
#24 Jul 01 2010 at 6:54 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
224 posts
No, this won't break the game for ps3 users. Yes, it will have an effect on the initial experience. For PC and PS3 users alike. Will it be permanent? No.


Another thought I haven't seen expressed yet.

Before, I was content knowing that sometime, anytime, before Jan. 1, 2011 I would be able to play FFXIV. Now I know that I won't be playing until after that date, most likely. For me, personally, it would have been better to be left in the dark.

It's already to the point that the only time I'm not thinking about FFXIV is when I'm browsing these forums (exaggeration for effect). Future FFXIV addict I'm sure.

In another 9 months(let the countdown begin) I will have gone from borderline to completely insane. O.o

Edited, Jul 1st 2010 8:55am by Nalamwen
#26Nalamwen, Posted: Jul 01 2010 at 7:25 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I just heard of a new game being released today. At this very minute actually.
#27 Jul 01 2010 at 7:26 AM Rating: Default
Hey that game is fun, I recently started playing it too.
#28 Jul 01 2010 at 8:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
You can't see both sides of the coin at the same time. Runway is just expressing verbally what many PS3 users are feeling - me included. I've been planning to buy this for PS3 based on SE's repeated announcements of world wide simultaneous release - I do not care if its a translation error, they've been saying it for over a year now, nobody caught on? Runway has every right to be upset and all you people lashing back at him with "gtfo", "you're still here?", etc. etc. need to sit back and put yourself in his shoes...you'd be just as upset. I'm so upset...so much so that I've already placed my CE pre-order for PC and building a new PC as we speak...but again, I will say, (and note this isn't a translation error) **** you SE.
____________________________
MUTED
#29 Jul 01 2010 at 8:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
239 posts
What I plan on doing is playing on my work computer when the game goes live, farming, leveling up, all the good stuff. The only down fall is having to stay 2-3 extra hrs after work to play, but once the PS3 version comes out I will probably only logon from work to set up mules/retainers and talk to friends.
____________________________
Palermo / Asura Server - [FFXI] (Elvaan) - PLD 60 [MAIN], WAR 47, SAM 50, MNK 57, THF 20


#30 Jul 01 2010 at 10:11 AM Rating: Decent
**
394 posts
It's not like PS3 owners won't get to participate in an early open beta all their own.

People who think SE is staggering the release dates just to be spiteful are plain stupid. Obviously there are some issues that are delaying the PS3 release, and with any luck they will be resolved sooner than later and we'll have an earlier starting date. If anything, people should be happy that console issues aren't getting in the way of the PC version, like they would for FFXI. This could have gone the other way just as easily, I'm sure, and we'd be looking at a PS3 release first before the PC release. Development issues happen, synchronized multiplatform releases get desynchronized, stuff happens, them's the breaks, etc.

Maybe you PS3 owners are still mad about The Last Remnant?
#31 Jul 01 2010 at 10:26 AM Rating: Good
**
592 posts
Don't forget about the naming issue. Good luck to PS3 users getting their preferred names 6 months after release.
____________________________
Inralkil-Seraph 75NIN/75SAM/68BST

Retired: Inra-Dark Crag 40/40 Witch Elf
Retired: Hollow-Thunderlord 70 Warlock S1/S3 T4 SL/SL
Retired: Horknee-Thunderlord 70 Druid T4/T5 Feral
#32 Jul 01 2010 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Inralkil wrote:
Don't forget about the naming issue. Good luck to PS3 users getting their preferred names 6 months after release.


FFXIV's "first name - last name" naming conventions should probably alleviate most issues with that. I'm sure there will be a few instances where a preferred name is taken, but they'll be few and far between. I'd imagine that almost all of the issues will arise if you're trying to name yourself an existing character name; a la "Bilbo Baggins" or "Spike Spiegel". And I don't have a ton of sympathy for those cases :P
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#33 Jul 01 2010 at 12:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
People who think SE is staggering the release dates just to be spiteful are plain stupid.


Probably not as stupid as your comment. I don't anyone is thinking this - I think most of us are upset with the promises made and SE's lack of carrying them out. If they would've said from the beginning that there'll be a gap in release for both consoles, there would be no lash back from the PS3 fan base, so obviously whatever went down in the last couple weeks has something big in it for SE, which I'm all for them taking it, but don't break promises with your fan base to line your pockets with gold today cuz you'll end up losing them in the future. That's how I see it anyway, whether you agree or not I could care less, but I'm just saying that PC users have to see it through the PS3 user's eyes - of course we're going to be upset, just as you would be if SE goes live tomorrow and tells everyone the PC version is being pushed back to March 2011.
____________________________
MUTED
#34 Jul 01 2010 at 12:28 PM Rating: Default
***
1,218 posts
Mezzura wrote:
What really bugs me about this whole topic is how people are just telling PS3 users "Oh, stop whining, you won't have all the bugs/broken quests/server crashes like the PC users did in the first 6 months, you'll have info on how to do stuff, and you won't really be 'behind'"


I don't know if any one is saying that PS-3 users should be happy about it, just pointing out that there's a silver lining in this cloud. I would certainly be unhappy if the only way I could play is on the PS-3 and I just found out that I may need to wait 6 extra months to play. I'd probably make an angry post in the thread where that information was released. What I wouldn't do is go and take a crap all over the rest of the forum to make that same sentiment known. I'd just integrate the new information into my outlook on life, and start looking for other games to play or other activities to participate in while I waited for the next 9 months to count down.

I don't think any one expects any one to be happy about the delay, but there's being unhappy, and there's letting people know you're unhappy, and then there's trying to make every topic into a topic about how unhappy you are. The OP here is just trying to put a positive spin on a negative situation, for which I applaud him/her. Runway is trying to put a negative spin on every thing, to the extent that a lot of people are already completely tired of this act.

Edited, Jul 1st 2010 2:29pm by KarlHungis
#35 Jul 01 2010 at 1:15 PM Rating: Default
**
263 posts
Quote:
Runway is trying to put a negative spin on every thing, to the extent that a lot of people are already completely tired of this act.


What positive spin would you like for me to put on this? I should be happy SE just said **** You? Or maybe I can try to convince myself like some of the fan boys running around these forums and others that "Be happy you don't get to play until March" because There will be more high level players to help you and give you stuff.

Guess what. I dont want high level help and I don't want free stuff. I want to start the game the same time everyone else does just like SE promised. I want the simultaneous release they have stated since they debuted this game at the PLAYSTATION 3 BOOTH at E3

Oh and I hate to break it to all of you who think that the March release date is not set in stone and who have this little fantasy that somehow SE did'nt just **** their loyal fans over again and will release the game earlier but I just got back from Gamestop where they have in their computer a street date of 3/7/11. Notice I said street date and not release or estimate that's because a street date comes from SE itself.

Sorry to break it to you all but SE wants you to bend over once again for them.
#36 Jul 01 2010 at 1:16 PM Rating: Excellent
**
296 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
I don't know if any one is saying that PS-3 users should be happy about it, just pointing out that there's a silver lining in this cloud.

...

The OP here is just trying to put a positive spin on a negative situation,...



And people who are actually affected by the news don't agree that there's a silver lining. Trying to get people to think of this as some sort of slyly advantageous occurrence rubs people the wrong way. Especially when it's preached from a person not dealing with the harsh reality.

There is no bonus to being forced to the sidelines. Frankly, it's condescending and more than a little bit mean to insult the intelligence of those affected by pretending it's so. I've yet to see one person come up with enough reasons why a March start is so advantageous that they've decided to /wait on the sidelines voluntarily.

And yeah, we've got a couple posters that have overboard on the rage/doom & gloom posts. Not everyone on these forums or this thread is that way. You can keep your head about you while still seeing the reality that a 6 month sideline is not some gift from the Gods. Most of the people I've seen posting fall into that category, and all they're trying to say is this sort of tripe isn't helping. It's patting a guy on the back and gloating at the same time.
#37 Jul 01 2010 at 1:21 PM Rating: Default
***
1,218 posts
runway wrote:
Quote:
Runway is trying to put a negative spin on every thing, to the extent that a lot of people are already completely tired of this act.


What positive spin would you like for me to put on this? .


You don't need to put any spin on it. You've made your view point abundantly clear. None of us here can change things, but if we could, I'm sure that we would all wave our magic wand to make the PS3 version come out in September. I have friends who play FFXI on console, and I was really hoping to recruit some of them to FFXIV because they're awesome people. Now, that possibility is much less likely. By the time that FFXIV comes out on PS-3, they may not want to play "catch up." Personally, I had planned to play on PS3, and now I know I have to go out and drop a few hundred bucks on a new video card for my PC. It sucks.

I fully understand why you are angry/unhappy. Where I (and I think a lot of other people) have a problem with you is that you're nerd raging and no one who reads this forum is in any position to do any thing about it. WTF do you expect any one to do? What's the point is saying the same thing in the tenth thread that you already said in the first nine?

Edited, Jul 1st 2010 3:22pm by KarlHungis
#38 Jul 01 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,218 posts
ascorbic wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
I don't know if any one is saying that PS-3 users should be happy about it, just pointing out that there's a silver lining in this cloud.

...

The OP here is just trying to put a positive spin on a negative situation,...



And people who are actually affected by the news don't agree that there's a silver lining. .


Why do you assume I'm not affected by it? Why do you assume any one who's trying to be calm about it isn't affected by it? Please don't assume that because some one tries to be positive that they're just being selfish and condescending. People like the OP may be trying to convince themselves more than they are trying to convince any one else.
#39 Jul 01 2010 at 1:41 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
ascorbic wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
I don't know if any one is saying that PS-3 users should be happy about it, just pointing out that there's a silver lining in this cloud.

...

The OP here is just trying to put a positive spin on a negative situation,...



And people who are actually affected by the news don't agree that there's a silver lining. .


Why do you assume I'm not affected by it? Why do you assume any one who's trying to be calm about it isn't affected by it? Please don't assume that because some one tries to be positive that they're just being selfish and condescending. People like the OP may be trying to convince themselves more than they are trying to convince any one else.


I made no such assumption about you, or frankly, anyone else on this thread (save runway... think he's a safe bet) except the OP.

I've gone through the necessary discussions to feel confident I'll be able to join in the PC launch, so my feelings about the "silver lining" of a staggered launch aren't directly related to my personal ability to play. But I'll bet 50 gil OP is playing at PC launch.

You can stay positive without being disingenuous. People are dealing with the realities of much planning being out in jeopardy, because the group of family/friends/LS mates that had intended to make a journey together has now been fractured. I simply don't think the best way to /comfort someone dealing with bad news is to try and make them believe its actually great news. I believe its better to acknowledge it for what it is and let them deal. People don't react well to being told their feelings aren't valid. I'm sure you've felt that before when dealing with bad news in your life, and you'll see ample evidence around the forums in the last 24 hours as well.
#40 Jul 01 2010 at 2:04 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
runway wrote:
Quote:
Runway is trying to put a negative spin on every thing, to the extent that a lot of people are already completely tired of this act.


What positive spin would you like for me to put on this? I should be happy SE just said @#%^ You? Or maybe I can try to convince myself like some of the fan boys running around these forums and others that "Be happy you don't get to play until March" because There will be more high level players to help you and give you stuff.

Guess what. I dont want high level help and I don't want free stuff. I want to start the game the same time everyone else does just like SE promised. I want the simultaneous release they have stated since they debuted this game at the PLAYSTATION 3 BOOTH at E3

Oh and I hate to break it to all of you who think that the March release date is not set in stone and who have this little fantasy that somehow SE did'nt just @#%^ their loyal fans over again and will release the game earlier but I just got back from Gamestop where they have in their computer a street date of 3/7/11. Notice I said street date and not release or estimate that's because a street date comes from SE itself.

Sorry to break it to you all but SE wants you to bend over once again for them.


My fiancee went to a wine and cheese tasting last night and you still carry more wine than their entire vineyard.

Everyone here gets that you're angry and ******* but after the first two or three posts, you have said all there is that you can say on the matter. You're just repeating yourself, PS3 this, E3 that, SE promised this, etc...

And with all due respect to any posters who work there, "Game Stop said..." is not the definitive end all, be all answer.

Furthermore, SE said they felt they were on track for a 2010 release (and to them, they view March 2011 as FY2010). I don't know what happened, but I'm guessing something happened that put a monkey wrench in their plans.

Again, people understand you're frustrated, but you're not complaining to SE because they don't read these forums. You're complaining to a bunch of people who initially felt bad for you, but now just want you to stop repeating yourself. I don't get what you're trying to accomplish by ******** in every thread you can find, using the same **** words over and over, complaining about a company that doesn't read thees boards.

If you have a problem with SE (and it seems that you have a valid one), contact THEM. I mean, if the price of cigarettes went up, would you go hang out at a gas station and complain about it for days? If you found out that your favorite soda was being discontinued, would you go to the grocery store to complain?

I get why you felt the need to vent, initially. What I don't get is why you feel the need to not shut up about it and harass people who can do nothing about it. I challenge you to list one poster in any thread you have posted in since "Quitting" who has ANY control over the release date of anything. SE does not post here. You're complaining to a bunch of schmucks like yourself who are just waiting for FFXIV like you are. It's not that you didn't initially have a valid point that people might have agreed with at first, it's just that we don't care anymore.

And because I simply MUST end this post on a snarky note due to your sheer annoyance: Sorry to break it for you, but I don't need to bend over to anyone; my fiancee and I will both be starting on the 22nd.

Again, to the rest of those affected by this, I'd like to say that I do genuinely hope that SE changes their minds, and I thank you for maintaining calm through your frustration and not ******** up a dozen threads. You all have a valid reason to be angry, and you're not being spammingly retarded about it, unlike SOME people.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#41 Jul 01 2010 at 3:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
35 posts
Look at the bright side, there're many PS3 games to keep you busy in the meantime.
Personally, I'll probably play Little Big Planet 2 while waiting for FFXIV.
6 months (perhaps less) is not that much if you keep yourself busy with other things.

This thread made me leave my lurker status and finally make an account, heh.
Hurray for my first post.
#42 Jul 01 2010 at 4:06 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
I can certainly appreciate what the OP has said, rate up btw.

I do have a question: deronguerra, do you have a PC that will run this?

I'm not sure you are actively experiencing the massive let down that the PS3 users are. Certainly if you went out and bought a PS3, in part for FFXIII and in part for FFXIV, you would be a bit frustrated by this turn of events.

I had just said to my wife last week "FFXIV may not turn out to be the best the game ever, but for the first time in my life, I am going get to to start a brand new MMO at the same time as the entire world!" This was part of the magic for me. And that magic is gone now.
#43 Jul 01 2010 at 4:36 PM Rating: Default
**
263 posts
Quote:
Look at the bright side, there're many PS3 games to keep you busy in the meantime


I'm sure you're a nice guy and all but.......

This. This is what is ******* me off the most. All of these people telling me to look on the bright side or telling me and others that it's OK that SE @#%^ed us.


Quote:
I'm not sure you are actively experiencing the massive let down that the PS3 users are. Certainly if you went out and bought a PS3, in part for FFXIII and in part for FFXIV, you would be a bit frustrated by this turn of events.

I had just said to my wife last week "FFXIV may not turn out to be the best the game ever, but for the first time in my life, I am going get to to start a brand new MMO at the same time as the entire world!" This was part of the magic for me. And that magic is gone now.


And Thank You. This is it exactly.

All of thse people saying get over it are not the ones who will be waiting until March to play. (If you were I would be wiling to bet you would be ****** off just like we are) You are not the ones that SE said @#%^ you too.

I saw what happened with the player base in FFXI because the Japanese got a year head start and I saw what happened to a lesser extent because US PC users got a 4 months head start.

This was supposed to be different. SE promised us. They stated over and over again that everyone would start on equal footing.

It doesn't matter is PS3 users start 6 months or 6 days later the game will be different for us and that is what all of you wagging your finger at us who are upset don't get.


We at the very least deserve an explanation from SE.








Edited, Jul 1st 2010 6:39pm by runway
#44 Jul 01 2010 at 5:03 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
runway wrote:
We at the very least deserve an explanation from SE.


Have you attempted to contact them?
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#45 Jul 01 2010 at 5:12 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Eske wrote:
runway wrote:
We at the very least deserve an explanation from SE.


Have you attempted to contact them?


This. You keep ranting about how mad you are, but as I've stated over and over, specifically to you: SE does not read these boards. Your complaint may be valid, but you're complaining to people who can't do anything about it about a company who doesn't read these boards.

If you're angry, complain -TO- SE.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#46 Jul 01 2010 at 6:49 PM Rating: Default
**
263 posts
Quote:
Eske wrote:
runway wrote:
We at the very least deserve an explanation from SE.


Have you attempted to contact them?


This. You keep ranting about how mad you are, but as I've stated over and over, specifically to you: SE does not read these boards. Your complaint may be valid, but you're complaining to people who can't do anything about it about a company who doesn't read these boards.


Oh yes please believe that I have sent SE more than one E-Mail and will continue to do so until they answer with something besides a random generic E-Mail response, a restraining order on me for harassment or until SE publicly announces why they willing lied to and ****** over PS3 users.

And I will continue to post in here and anywhere else that SE may pay attention to (SE has on more than one occasion kept on eye on gaming boards and have on more than one occasion posted in the FFXI forum)and I hope that all of the other PS3 users that were bent over by SE continued to do so too.


#47 Jul 01 2010 at 7:13 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
runway wrote:
Oh yes please believe that I have sent SE more than one E-Mail and will continue to do so until they answer with something besides a random generic E-Mail response, a restraining order on me for harassment or until SE publicly announces why they willing lied to and @#%^ed over PS3 users.

And I will continue to post in here and anywhere else that SE may pay attention to (SE has on more than one occasion kept on eye on gaming boards and have on more than one occasion posted in the FFXI forum)and I hope that all of the other PS3 users that were bent over by SE continued to do so too.


Eh, you say that now, but I think in a few days you'll cool down. Energy spent complaining on this board is energy wasted: Square Enix does not read it. Rest assured, the only thing that you'll achieve by doing so is alienating yourself.

I'm glad to hear that you've lodged a complaint with them directly; that's the best course of action in this case.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#48 Jul 01 2010 at 7:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
283 posts
ascorbic wrote:
But I'll bet 50 gil OP is playing at PC launch.
RufuSwho wrote:
deronguerra, do you have a PC that will run this?

As stated in the OP.
deronguerra wrote:
my iMac is, unfortunately, locked into its 3 year old graphics card...
I think I'll have that "magic and tingly feeling" in March, should I decide FFXIV is for me.


Again.. I never said that it was better that the PS3 users have to wait.. in fact I was very upset as well.. but then.. hence.. the title of this thread.. I had a "Reality Check"... the world isn't going to end because I didn't start the same time as old friends, neighbors or the rest of the world. Like so many who have realized (btw, thanks for rate ups) I am choosing to look at the brighter side of things. While I may not be able to look at "both sides of the coin at the same time"... I did look at the ugly side.. and get upset.. But decided it was much healthier to be happy that I will have the opportunity to play the game in March with the second wave of new players.

So, yea. I plan waiting until March to play on PS3...
and no... I'm not upset about the cards I was dealt.
____________________________


#50 Jul 01 2010 at 8:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
Runway, everyone here understands that you're ****** about this, and justifiably so. But we're tired of your vitriol uselessly spilling over into these forums. All you do is spam posts about how angry you are at SE, and it's completely destroying any opportunity for meaningful conversation around here. Complain to SE all you want, but quit polluting these forums. They'll already well aware of how angry their playerbase is. Posting here will do nothing.
#51 Jul 01 2010 at 9:21 PM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
This is balls. I really wanted to be there at launch but I've not the resources to purchase a new PC that will run the game. It really irritates me to no end that the PS3 version is being released 6 months later.

I was going to purchase it on PC too once I bought it on the PS3 and had saved enough cash for a new PC. Maybe I'll get lucky and save enough to buy a PC before release. Though, as of right now, it doesn't look likely.

Square makes great games and I will continue to buy them but Square's ****** business practices are never ending. Had they been up front about the separation of PC and PS3 release dates I would have focused on saving money for a new PC rather than a PS3.

In short, this news is *********
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)