Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Reality check- The advantages for a March /logonFollow

#52 Jul 01 2010 at 9:48 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
441 posts
I think everyone needs to calm down a bit.

It's not like SE would arbitrarily move the release dates for PC vs PS3 without a good business case.

For SE, they have probably modelled the subscription fees from PC users starting six months earlier (vs a simultaneous release on all platforms) and found that it will give them a better financial outcome than waiting six months later (particularly given the upcoming WOW expansion). This way, they will secure more cash, which should guarantee them sufficient resources to continue with the console release (and maybe even speed it up).

Of course they want their console-based fans to play the game earlier, but it's probably due to the speed of progress (or lack thereof) they are having with fixing the PC version, let alone optimising for consoles. In my mind, it's similar to how they would prefer to release on Xbox360 (and capture some more market share) but have not been able to negotiate successfully with M$.

____________________________
War 75 Nin75 Sam75
#53 Jul 01 2010 at 9:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
For SE, they have probably modelled the subscription fees from PC users starting six months earlier (vs a simultaneous release on all platforms) and found that it will give them a better financial outcome than waiting six months later.


...and they decided to do this in the last two weeks? as I remember it was only a few weeks ago that they mentioned (again for the hundredth time) that there will be a simultaneous world wide release on all gaming platforms included when the game goes retail - if they looked at a new business model why did they wait so long? I doubt this is the reason and IF in fact it is, then they shouldn't mislead people from the start. I think that's what everyone is mostly upset about.
____________________________
MUTED
#54 Jul 01 2010 at 10:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
602 posts
They never said it would be launched on both platforms at the same time. You might want to re-read that interview response word for word. There has already been massive debate about this but the evidence is right there.

At launch of the PC and PS3 version (albeit not at the same release date) they would release it simultaneously in all regions on the same date is basically what they aimed for. I think their translator messed it up.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2010 12:00am by Excenmille
#55 Jul 01 2010 at 10:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
(albeit not at the same release date)


Hey, I'm with you, maybe that's what they really said but maybe if they added what you had in the brackets half the PS3 fan base wouldn't be up in flames right now. I don't care what they meant, what they said wasn't what you interpreted after the fact because lets face it, if you asked anyone a couple days ago if the game would be released on all platforms simultaneously you would get a resounding yes from everyone and anyone who told you otherwise was a troll.
____________________________
MUTED
#56 Jul 01 2010 at 10:10 PM Rating: Good
***
2,535 posts
CupDeNoodles wrote:
Square makes great games and I will continue to buy them but Square's sh*tty business practices are never ending. Had they been up front about the separation of PC and PS3 release dates I would have focused on saving money for a new PC rather than a PS3.


You know, if people keep buying their products despite their ************ business practices", they don't have much incentive to change their ways, do they?
#57 Jul 01 2010 at 10:49 PM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
Quote:
You know, if people keep buying their products despite their "sh*tty business practices", they don't have much incentive to change their ways, do they?


Well, I agree with you but the reality of it is, even if you yourself stop buying their products it won't make a difference. Unless you can rally hundreds of thousands of people to put a stop to it chances are they won't even notice it.

A boycott of something would only work if you had enough people to boycott said thing to the point where it would actually put a dent in their pockets. People are reluctant to stop buying their products because regardless of their ************ business practices" the games are still good or, at least, I think so.

I also think a boycott would be the only thing that would work with Square because it seems that voicing ones opinion against their, again, ************ business practices" doesn't seem to phase them. I would be most surprised if you could get that many people together to accomplish that sort of task.
#58 Jul 01 2010 at 11:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
656 posts
just my 2 cents for runway...

1. FFXIII was out in March 2010 on PS3, don't you think it will be a little early for FFXIV to come out in Sept 2010? just 6 months after?

2. Waiting needs a lot of patience, I understand how you feel, it's like you ran to the bus and the driver closed the door on you, and you check the bus schedule, the next bus is coming in 30mins, you are still ****** about missing that bus but then the next bus didnt come on time and you start screaming "THE BUS SCHEDULE SAID EVERY 30MINS THERE WILL BE A BUS! AND NOW THEY ARE LATE! I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER!!" then you go vandalize stuff and screaming out loud. but you know, there is option, you can walk or pay more and take the taxi. you have your point to be ****** but venting your anger everywhere wont get the bus arrive faster.

3. dont forget there are casual players (me), after the first 6 months of my FFXIV life (start at NA release), i was still under level 10, don't know how to use weapon skills and stuff like that. my point is, even you start late, you might not lose as much as you thought.
____________________________
モスタル


#59 Jul 01 2010 at 11:32 PM Rating: Good
***
2,535 posts
CupDeNoodles wrote:
Quote:
You know, if people keep buying their products despite their "sh*tty business practices", they don't have much incentive to change their ways, do they?


Well, I agree with you but the reality of it is, even if you yourself stop buying their products it won't make a difference. Unless you can rally hundreds of thousands of people to put a stop to it chances are they won't even notice it.


Well yeah, that's why I kept general by saying "people"; I'm well aware that most FF fans will continue to buy their games regardless of how much they dislike the company's business practices, just like people used to complain about Nintendo's habitual inability to hit their release dates but bought the games anyway.

On the other hand, if I hate their business practices, does telling myself "everyone who agrees with me is going to buy the games anyway" really justify me buying them as well? Doesn't buying their games anyway really mean that I don't actually care about their business practices as much as I say I do?

Quote:
People are reluctant to stop buying their products because regardless of their "sh*tty business practices" the games are still good or, at least, I think so.


Well, I'd disagree about their quality, but then I'm one of the few fans who liked FF 12 a lot, so what do I know? :p

EDIT:
Mostaru wrote:
1. FFXIII was out in March 2010 on PS3, don't you think it will be a little early for FFXIV to come out in Sept 2010? just 6 months after?


To be fair, it was only March '10 in North America and Europe, in Japan it came out December '09.

And there was a time when Final Fantasies came out every year... granted their development cycle was much shorter then, but they also didn't have multiple teams working on the franchise.

Edited, Jul 1st 2010 10:44pm by BastokFL
#60 Jul 01 2010 at 11:44 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
After seeing the "Details to be released at a later date" stuff regarding the PS3 beta, I can't say I'm surprised about the split in the release date. That being said, I do feel a bit let down.

I had been thinking it was going to be VERY crowded at the release if both platforms came out at the same time worldwide. I suppose not having huge traffic jams on low level content is one good reason for the split release.

Here's to hoping the PS3 beta starts soon, and I can get into that :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#61 Jul 01 2010 at 11:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
When SE announced a simultaneous release, for some reason I thought they just meant a simultaneous world-wide release, meaning in Japan, in North America, and in Europe, on the same day. It never occurred to me that it meant a simultaneous release on PC's and consoles.
I'm going back and re-reading it.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#62 Jul 02 2010 at 12:51 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Vorkosigan wrote:
When SE announced a simultaneous release, for some reason I thought they just meant a simultaneous world-wide release, meaning in Japan, in North America, and in Europe, on the same day. It never occurred to me that it meant a simultaneous release on PC's and consoles.
I'm going back and re-reading it.


This is where translation errors become a big problem. It would be nice to know if they actually did say something and changed their mind, or if they meant something other than what we thought they meant.

Honestly, 90% of my arguments with my future mother in law are over things that she and I pretty much agree on, but one of us didn't convey it properly to the other; and we're both talking in English.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#63 Jul 02 2010 at 3:12 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
133 posts
Although it can be rationalized very well as you have done here I am still pretty ****** about this in general. Yeah the game will have its issues at launch but after a month or two the vast majority of them will be worked out and the PC players will go on being trail blazers in this fresh MMO world while we on the PS3 will still be 4 months away from even setting foot in the game.

A number of things bother me about this. First of all is the temptation factor, ignoring all the gameplay videos and threads and such that will start amassing after the PC release is going to be painful. Part of my excitement for this game was finally being able to experience an MMO world from the very start without anything to guide me along, now I'm going to be constantly badgered by spoiler ridden gameplay videos for 6 months!

The only upsides I see to this right now is that after 6 months the game should be running quite smoothly which will save me some frustration. Then there's the fact that all us PS3 users will be starting together at the same time independent from PC users which is something I really liked about XI and the 360 release. It was a lot of fun dropping into a new world and noticing other 360 players exploring and trying to figure out the game as I was.

All and all things could be worse, this just really stings right now.
____________________________
Now Go,
Stand up to a giant!
Said that I'm a fighter.
Too drunk to remember.
Too drunk to..
#64 Jul 02 2010 at 8:35 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Right on deronguerra, I do appreciate the positive attitude sir.

Here's the question I asked the support center:

Dear Square Enix Team,
Why has the PS3 release of FFXIV been delayed? I was hoping to join the Japanese players on a simultaneous world wide launch. Could you explain why this is not possible?

Thank you,
My Name

***Square Enix's Response***

Dear Customer,

Regarding your request for account support. Please find your answer below.

Unfortunately we do not have that information at this time. However, you are always welcome to check for updates and news regarding FINAL FANTASY XIV on: www.FINALFANTASYXIV.com. Hopefully the information you need will become available soon enough.

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

#65 Jul 02 2010 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,522 posts
For myself, I was debating between buying the game for PC or for PS3. If I wanted to play on PC, I have to run windows on my MacBook (which I already do, no big deal), but I'm not sure if my MacBook can run the game that well. Therefore, I was leaning towards PS3 to play on. But SE decided for me with this information on the release date.

It's a little annoying, and I would be ****** if I didn't have both options available to me. However, it seems a bit silly that they've basically been promoting XIV as a PS3 game and then have it launch for PC first. 6 months ahead of time, first. :/

Edit: Typos!

Edited, Jul 2nd 2010 12:28pm by BJordan
#66 Jul 02 2010 at 9:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
224 posts
Yeah, it is frustrating.

Guess I'll try to sell my unused second vehicle so I can get a PC to play at launch. :) I can't wait.
#67 Jul 02 2010 at 1:23 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
I knew that a select group of guys were going to shoot ahead at release and reach the end game in a ridiculous small amount of time. But not everyone.

6 months. I'm not sure how much intial content there will be. But, I'd bet some of those people will reach their (skill?) caps before I even get to play. *sigh*

I wanted to see that happen, not witness the aftermath.
#68 Jul 02 2010 at 1:51 PM Rating: Good
**
791 posts
I think a lot of the concern, at least for me, is fear of an economic dominance by the early players. One of the things that really frustrated me with FFXI was that by the time I started playing leveling a craft was **** because there were already level 100s who dominated the market. We have reason to believe though that the crafting system will be a little bit different this time and hopefully won't lend itself to the sort of monopolization that occurred in FFXI. If this can be avoided then I don't see PS3 players being at a huge disadvantage. It will still suck that they don't get to experience completely virgin content, but hopefully they won't be economically strong-armed. That said, SE economically strong-armed me IRL, because the money I had been saving for a shiny new PS3 now has to go towards a new computer since mine can't even run the benchmark. Luckily I just graduated college and my birthday is in late July, so that should help.
____________________________


#69 Jul 02 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,178 posts
I'd like to hear more first hand accounts from crafters who were "strong-armed". I'm not sure I follow, but I'd like to understand.

Is it because the first to produce mass quantities of a certain good gets to set the prices? Aren't those prices determined more by demand? Doesn't everyone have equal access to crafting materials?

I'm missing something. But this has been brought up to often to be inconsequential. I can't see how "getting in the market" first can allow you to be dominant. Can someone help explain?
#70 Jul 02 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Good
**
791 posts
It's supply and demand. If you are one of the first to cap a craft (a supplier) there are relatively few suppliers compared to the large amount of consumers. This naturally evens out over a large scale, but if you get to the top first, you basically "own" a large portion of the market. Not only that, but when other people try to level the craft later they will be saturating the market with items that have very little use. Say crafters can make an NQ sword that has pretty low damage on it. The only time there will really be any demand for that sword is when the game isn't known well enough to figure out relatively easy and obviously superior alternatives.

As the game goes on though and it turns out that "X Notorious Monster" drops a superior sword at the same level, the demand for that crafted sword plummets, leaving aspiring crafters taking a big hit monetarily just to level up. This is the problem I encountered trying to level Smithing in FFXI: 3 years after launch there just wasn't enough demand to make leveling it even close to a break even situation. I realize I could have sunk gil into it and I probably would have gotten decent returns way down the line, but the possibility of critical failures turned me off too much from wanting to make the investment.

Of course this also has to do with the fact that most of the crafted stuff in FFXI was absolute crap except for HQs which could only be done by... 100+ crafters. The system was skewed from the get-go.

Edit: Spalling and punktuashun.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2010 4:24pm by BottlecapBandit
____________________________


#71 Jul 05 2010 at 9:11 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
Runway, im saying this as nice as i can and as honest, if you don't like eating the same dish, why do you keep ordering it? it's as simple as that, this is reality runway. you will be **** on more than kept clean, get use to it. if you can't handle stuff like this, maybe you need to re-evaluate your video game habit. i went through what you did, but i grew up and realized, **** happens.
____________________________
lolblacktacos
#72 Jul 06 2010 at 7:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Straight up, since 2007 I've been excited at the prospect of a fresh slate in a new FF online world. I started FFXI in 2006 and was miles behind my friends, always playing catchup.

I look forward to every update for the thrill of experiencing the new content before there are 9000 guides online about the most optimum way to do it.

Now those same friends along, some who quit FFXI long ago, some still playing, and some who never played, were looking forward to experiencing the whole new world together. Alas, that will be impossible as 4 of us planned to play on ps3 and the other 4 on pc.

So it's either have them wait or us all buy new pcs or just suck it up.

What dissapoints me the most is that we'll inevitably lose 2-3 friends before the ps3 release date, either from friends not wanting to start late, or others getting bored or quitting the pc version.

All in all, it's a bit sad. But I suspect a delayed release date given that 1 month ago they told us they had to extend the beta. I really feel that the release dates will be closer together, either from a delay or from the ps3 version being pushed forward. 6 months is a huge gap. 3 months I can deal with though.
____________________________


1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (13)