Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Computer Building GuideFollow

#752 Aug 09 2010 at 8:37 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Thank you much, sir. I've got a comp I could upgrade, and I'll take a look at it soon and see just about how cheap I can make it. If it's way too old, then I guess I'll go ahead and get a legitimate PC somehow. I might try building my own if that's a feasible option.

In any case, I will eventually play this game! I am a hardworking, determined individual with a life and a job and I'm gonna throw it all away if it's the last thing I do!
#753 Aug 09 2010 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
770 posts
Fisheystix wrote:
Thank you much, sir. I've got a comp I could upgrade, and I'll take a look at it soon and see just about how cheap I can make it. If it's way too old, then I guess I'll go ahead and get a legitimate PC somehow. I might try building my own if that's a feasible option.

In any case, I will eventually play this game! I am a hardworking, determined individual with a life and a job and I'm gonna throw it all away if it's the last thing I do!


Lol, lives and jobs dont mix with gamers! welcome to the club! (kidding) balance is good ;). I personally bought a crappy pc from future shop, cost me 550$ upgraded pwoer supply and video card get about 3k with benchmark on low. card was a GTX 460 768MB, cost about 300 with shipping (little less). not teh best score out there but It does the trick :) People on ZAM are always more then willing to give you advice when needed. :)

*btw dont tell him i said this but Mikhalias advice is normally correct* can alwasy join his church too lol (youd have to find the post :P)

Edited, Aug 9th 2010 11:43pm by Puppy1
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#754 Aug 10 2010 at 3:30 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Puppy1 wrote:
Fisheystix wrote:
Thank you much, sir. I've got a comp I could upgrade, and I'll take a look at it soon and see just about how cheap I can make it. If it's way too old, then I guess I'll go ahead and get a legitimate PC somehow. I might try building my own if that's a feasible option.

In any case, I will eventually play this game! I am a hardworking, determined individual with a life and a job and I'm gonna throw it all away if it's the last thing I do!


Lol, lives and jobs dont mix with gamers! welcome to the club! (kidding) balance is good ;). I personally bought a crappy pc from future shop, cost me 550$ upgraded pwoer supply and video card get about 3k with benchmark on low. card was a GTX 460 768MB, cost about 300 with shipping (little less). not teh best score out there but It does the trick :) People on ZAM are always more then willing to give you advice when needed. :)

*btw dont tell him i said this but Mikhalias advice is normally correct* can alwasy join his church too lol (youd have to find the post :P)

Edited, Aug 9th 2010 11:43pm by Puppy1


That -is- an option. (Buying a prebuilt and replacing the parts as needed). Only issue is finding a prebuilt that doesn't need ALL the parts replaced.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#755 Aug 10 2010 at 6:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
At the moemnt I'm looking at a few possibilities and would like to get your opinion. Some of you might have followed the progress of my situation on my original thread but I have since noticed that this should actualy be posted on this sticky.

At the moment I'm looking at 4 possible PCs in what I hope is increasing performance along with the cost and would like to get your points of view.

1 - 889 Euro

AMD Phenom II x 4 820 2.8 GHz 6 MB
RAM 4096 MB 1333MHz DDR3 2 x 2048
1 GB ATI Radeon HD 5770

2 - 1049 Euro

Intel Core i5 750 2.6GHz 8 MB
RAM 6144 MB 1333 MHz DDR3 2 x 2 GB + 2 x 1 GB
1 GB ATI Radeon HD 5770

3 - 1099 Euro

Intel Core i7 860 2.8 GHz 8 MB
RAM 6144 MB 1333 MHz DDR3 2 x 2 GB + 2 x 1 GB
1 GB ATI Radeon HD 5770

4 - 1448

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 8 MB
RAM 6000 MB 1333 MHz Tri Channel
1 GB ATI Radeon HD 5870


Many thanks.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#756 Aug 10 2010 at 12:18 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Reply to above post has been posted in the original thread, since that's where all the other info is.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#757 Aug 10 2010 at 1:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
32 posts
This is the build i'm looking at right now to replace my current pc

1 x Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.2GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S Retail Box
1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty
1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI Retail Box Bilingual
1 x Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 High Performance CPU Cooler System LGA775 LGA1366 LGA1156 AM2 AM3
1 x LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM
1 x ASUS P6X58D-E X58 ATX LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI USB3.0 SATA 6GB/S Motherboard
1 x Corsair XMS3 HX3X12G1600C9 12GB DDR3 6X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit
2 x GeForce GTX 470 625MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 3.348GHZ PCI-E Dual DVI-I Mini HDMI
1 x Coolermaster Haf X EATX Tower Case Black 6X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0
1 x Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W Modular Power Supply SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 135mm Fan

around 2600$ CAD



#758 Aug 10 2010 at 1:22 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
1 x Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.2GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S Retail Box <--- Great
1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI Retail Box Bilingual <--- You don't really need this. I mean, you can get it, but it's superfluous since the motherboard should have audio.
1 x Corsair XMS3 HX3X12G1600C9 12GB DDR3 6X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit <--- 12 GB is a bit much. I mean, there's nothing really wrong with it, but more than 4-6 GB will likely be unused for years until technology needs it. I won't stop you from getting it though.
2 x GeForce GTX 470 625MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 3.348GHZ PCI-E Dual DVI-I Mini HDMI <--- Very nice.
1 x Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W Modular Power Supply SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 135mm Fan <--- Power Supply sounds okay.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#759 Aug 10 2010 at 1:29 PM Rating: Decent
**
447 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
1 x Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.2GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S Retail Box <--- Great
1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI Retail Box Bilingual <--- You don't really need this. I mean, you can get it, but it's superfluous since the motherboard should have audio.
1 x Corsair XMS3 HX3X12G1600C9 12GB DDR3 6X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit <--- 12 GB is a bit much. I mean, there's nothing really wrong with it, but more than 4-6 GB will likely be unused for years until technology needs it. I won't stop you from getting it though.
2 x GeForce GTX 470 625MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 3.348GHZ PCI-E Dual DVI-I Mini HDMI <--- Very nice.
1 x Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W Modular Power Supply SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 135mm Fan <--- Power Supply sounds okay.


I would double check the power supply - you might want to get something around 1000W
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#760 Aug 10 2010 at 1:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
32 posts
I know the RAM might be overkill but I can afford it so why not
Sound card is optional but since i prefer not to use the onboards (had bad experience) this one made sense
And yeah, I wasnt sure about the PSU, will probably look at a 1000W.

Will make a huge difference going from an Athlon X2 with 2 gigs of ram and a 8600GTS card.
#761 Aug 10 2010 at 1:49 PM Rating: Decent
**
447 posts
Yeah, that will be a huge upgrade!

The reason I suggest a higher PSU, is because on SLIZone 850 is the minimum listing of PSU's that would support the dual 470's. Given it doesn't appear budget is that much of a concern, and you're adding in other areas, I'd recommend to get a little more power.

I also read 850W is on the lower end for 480's, so I assume you may overclock, and you may get more headroom by going with a little better PSU now.

Hope that helps. Don't take my word as the truth, just what I've read.
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#762 Aug 10 2010 at 3:58 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
770 posts
Mikhalia wrote:

That -is- an option. (Buying a prebuilt and replacing the parts as needed). Only issue is finding a prebuilt that doesn't need ALL the parts replaced.


Yeah true, The one i bought will last a few years and be able to run Final Fantasy Xiv with the parts i upgrated. Its definatly not the best PC out there, and it wont run FFxiv at Max graphical settings. But it will play it.
I will do a completly full build later peice by peice probably end up costign a few grand. But ITs a real good option for thoes with limited budgets.

If your Buying a PC prebuilt. If you dont know much about PC's Ask where its being sold if it can be upgraded. Then after they tell you it definatly can be Ask for a printout on the Specs then come back here and ask us and see if you get the same answer.

When i bought mine from future shop, I was a bit of a pain, I aksed the clerk to open up the PC so i could look inside to see what ports it had and to see the Wattage of the power supply that wasnt in the specs ;). If you dont know PC's to well, dont need to ask them to do this, I was also beign a slightly difficuly customer cuz guy was trying to sell me on a more expensive machine that would be about the same after my upgrades (200$ diffrence in price btw). Anyway back to my point. Prebuilt can be good , But as Mikhalia states, be causious it can be upgraded at a well, most prebuilts wont run teh benchmark as is. And if its a store that willign to build you a pc, Buy a thumbdrive put the benchmark on it and tell them you wont take it out of the store until it scores well with it ;) lol enjoy.

Edited, Aug 10th 2010 5:59pm by Puppy1
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#763 Aug 10 2010 at 5:19 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Hey all just wanted to give you all a big Thank You. My current PC bombed the benchmark. 1000 on Low. Reading this post i came up with a new build.
MB-Asus p6x58d-e
CPU-I7-930
GPU-HD5870
RAM-6gb Gskill ripjaws
PSU-Corsair 850tx
HD-500gb WD Caviar Black
CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen
Monitor-Hannsg 28"
Windows 7
cost was around $1400 after rebates, not too bad.
OC'd some and scores came to Low:6200 High:5000

All and all i am very happy with my first build and the help i got here without even posting a ?.
#764 Aug 10 2010 at 5:25 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
770 posts
roninraider wrote:
Hey all just wanted to give you all a big Thank You. My current PC bombed the benchmark. 1000 on Low. Reading this post i came up with a new build.
MB-Asus p6x58d-e
CPU-I7-930
GPU-HD5870
RAM-6gb Gskill ripjaws
PSU-Corsair 850tx
HD-500gb WD Caviar Black
CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen
Monitor-Hannsg 28"
Windows 7
cost was around $1400 after rebates, not too bad.
OC'd some and scores came to Low:6200 High:5000

All and all i am very happy with my first build and the help i got here without even posting a ?.


*Is jealous* but grats :)
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#765 Aug 10 2010 at 6:03 PM Rating: Default
*
149 posts
Okay, i've tweaked and upgraded some things on my list, but this is my first time building a rig from scratch and i want to make sure everything will play nice together.
Here are the essentials :
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13652865
My main concerns are about the memory/processor/video card working properly with the board. As far as i can tell everything looks like it should be fine, but it cant hurt to have a few other opinions before i start ordering parts.
It seems that the motherboard has no video out, would i have to fiddle around in the bios to get the video card working properly? That seems like it would be a challenge without having any kind of monitor hooked up to it. Also, the ram speed looks okay, right? Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Good luck waiting the extra couple days to find out if you made it into the beta as well everyone, the anticipation is killing me.
#766 Aug 10 2010 at 6:34 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Dagger99 wrote:
Okay, i've tweaked and upgraded some things on my list, but this is my first time building a rig from scratch and i want to make sure everything will play nice together.
Here are the essentials :
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13652865
My main concerns are about the memory/processor/video card working properly with the board. As far as i can tell everything looks like it should be fine, but it cant hurt to have a few other opinions before i start ordering parts.
It seems that the motherboard has no video out, would i have to fiddle around in the bios to get the video card working properly? That seems like it would be a challenge without having any kind of monitor hooked up to it. Also, the ram speed looks okay, right? Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Good luck waiting the extra couple days to find out if you made it into the beta as well everyone, the anticipation is killing me.


Everything looks fine. The video card should automatically be detected by the BIOS as the primary display adapter when the monitor is plugged into it. I hate integrated video, but you may want to consider having it as a backup in case there's ever a problem with the GPU. I've had to replace a faulty GPU and I wasn't too keep on using the integrated till I got the new one, but ****** video is better than no video. Even still, it's one of those "just in case" things more than a "you need this" thing.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#767 Aug 10 2010 at 6:41 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
770 posts
Seems to be good, 1 thing to add to Mmikhalias post, Video cards are detected automatcily yes, graphics will look horrible to start until the drivers for the video card are installed. not a nessesity to see what your doing for the set up though. It has default graphics adapter drivers in the OS, After you update thoes ones with the ones from teh CD or the online one for your video card. The super large icons will go to whatever size you need :)
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#768 Aug 10 2010 at 6:49 PM Rating: Decent
*
149 posts
Just who i was hoping to get a reply from, haha. Its been said to trust your judgment on anything computer related.
Your advice brings me to another question though; Does the specified CPU type for the motherboard have to be the Phenom II X4 for that processor, or would one that is just stated as a Phenom II work? I know it has to be socket AM3 and at least support the amount of power the CPU needs.
Thanks for that tip as well Puppy1. I'm just glad to know it will be automatically detected, that's a load off my mind. Now if i could just get a better selection of motherboards with hdmi out >.>

Edited, Aug 10th 2010 8:55pm by Dagger99
#769 Aug 10 2010 at 7:08 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
770 posts
Dagger99 wrote:
Just who i was hoping to get a reply from, haha. Its been said to trust your judgment on anything computer related.
Your advice brings me to another question though; Does the specified CPU type for the motherboard have to be the Phenom II X4 for that processor, or would one that is just stated as a Phenom II work? I know it has to be socket AM3 and at least support the amount of power the CPU needs.
Thanks for that tip as well Puppy1. I'm just glad to know it will be automatically detected, that's a load off my mind. Now if i could just get a better selection of motherboards with hdmi out >.>


Lol ur talkign about Mikhalias advice right? yeah him and wint 2 of the best to get advice from. As for hdmi out, video card i just got (gtx 460) it has mini hdmi out. Dont nessesarily need it on the motherdoard itself (came with a mini HDMI to regular HDMI converter)
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#770 Aug 10 2010 at 7:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
22 posts
Dagger99 wrote:
Just who i was hoping to get a reply from, haha. Its been said to trust your judgment on anything computer related.
Your advice brings me to another question though; Does the specified CPU type for the motherboard have to be the Phenom II X4 for that processor, or would one that is just stated as a Phenom II work? I know it has to be socket AM3 and at least support the amount of power the CPU needs.
Thanks for that tip as well Puppy1. I'm just glad to know it will be automatically detected, that's a load off my mind. Now if i could just get a better selection of motherboards with hdmi out >.>

Edited, Aug 10th 2010 8:55pm by Dagger99



The x4 part tells you how many cpu cores are on the chip. With Phenom II's you can have x2, x3, x4, x6. Each one allows your computer to perform more tasks at once or in the case of multi-threaded games such as FF XIV a single program can send separate tasks to be done by each core.

Generally, the more you have the better although I don't think FF XIV benchmarks have shown a huge difference between the x4 and x6s so far. Of course I think that's because most overclock the x4s to the upper 3 to 4mhz range.

Forgot to add.. just make sure if your board says Phenom II that you get a Phenom II. AMD also sells the original Phenom and Athlon II's that I've seen some people buy out of confusion. While some of them might work with your board they're not in the same league of performance.



Edited, Aug 10th 2010 9:32pm by Athan10
#771 Aug 10 2010 at 7:33 PM Rating: Decent
*
149 posts
Indeed I am, and Wint has some awesome looking applications in the works as well. I dont really need an HDMI out, although it would be nice. I'm just looking for a mobo that will handle the Phenom II X4 and has some kind of video on board, thanks to the advice Mikhalia gave me. My card is going to have DVI outs that i'm going to convert to HDMI, but the main issue is expanding my options with motherboards.

Edit ^^^^
I know the x4 and x6 core meanings and whatnot, i was just wondering if what it said as the supported CPU type that the mobo can use is the definitive list or, since certain motherboards say that they would support a cpu up to 140W and so on, if i can just make sure the socket and power usage are correct.

Edited, Aug 10th 2010 9:40pm by Dagger99
#772 Aug 10 2010 at 8:12 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
22 posts
Dagger99 wrote:
Indeed I am, and Wint has some awesome looking applications in the works as well. I dont really need an HDMI out, although it would be nice. I'm just looking for a mobo that will handle the Phenom II X4 and has some kind of video on board, thanks to the advice Mikhalia gave me. My card is going to have DVI outs that i'm going to convert to HDMI, but the main issue is expanding my options with motherboards.

Edit ^^^^
I know the x4 and x6 core meanings and whatnot, i was just wondering if what it said as the supported CPU type that the mobo can use is the definitive list or, since certain motherboards say that they would support a cpu up to 140W and so on, if i can just make sure the socket and power usage are correct.

Edited, Aug 10th 2010 9:40pm by Dagger99


It's not definitive. A good vendor will plan for the future a bit in hardware than enable new chips via a bios update.

If you have a certain motherboard in mind the best thing to do is go the manufacturer website. Many update specs as the bios updates come out. A lot of times the support for the pins and wattage is there but something specific like the clock multiplier might need to be added with a bios update. For example I bought a Gigabyte MB and Phenom II x3 last September but a bios update this year now allows me to pop out the x3 and pop in an x6. If I wanted to anyway... I unlocked and over clocked the x3 so it's been working as a 965 x4. :P
#773 Aug 10 2010 at 9:02 PM Rating: Decent
*
149 posts
Thanks a bunch, I'm just about ready to order this now! I must say you've made a very helpful first couple posts here. I'll post my bench score and maybe some pics or something once i get this thing all set up. There's so much to anticipate in the next month and a half regarding this game with the release, the beta which we all better get in to, and finally when you can make your very own character. Well, time to go fish through motherboards again!
#774 Aug 10 2010 at 10:18 PM Rating: Decent
49 posts
Hey you guys should check

http://www.ibuypower.com/

they have some pretty good deals even customizing.
#775 Aug 10 2010 at 11:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
22 posts
Dagger99 wrote:
Thanks a bunch, I'm just about ready to order this now! I must say you've made a very helpful first couple posts here. I'll post my bench score and maybe some pics or something once i get this thing all set up. There's so much to anticipate in the next month and a half regarding this game with the release, the beta which we all better get in to, and finally when you can make your very own character. Well, time to go fish through motherboards again!


Thanks for the compliment. Since you're still in the planning stage I have a few other things you might want to consider. I looked at the system link you had on Newegg and I don't think you're going to get as good a high res score as is possible for that kind of money.

The problem is you have the absolute best gpu in the 5970 and you're teaming it with an x4 965. Like I said the 965 is good and it's basically what I'm using but it's over matched by that gpu. What that means is you're high and low res scores should be basically the same number because the cpu will be your limiter at both resolutions with this setup.

There's a spreadsheet being kept by guys over at FFXIVCore and although it's not comprehensive right now they have 150+ plus scores with various cpu/gpu combos. The closest I can find to your combo is a 5970 with a x4 955 that's been overclocked to 3.8Ghz (the 965 standard clock is only 3.4Ghz). That combo scored 5185 on high and 5188 on low which means even overclocked to faster than 965 speeds the cpu is still holding the 5970 back.

As a comparison there are two other scores with a 5970. Both are paired with i7 930. The first is overclocked to 3.8Ghz and hits 6685 high and 6991 low while the second is overclocked to 4.2Ghz and hits 7874 high and 7860 low which means the cpu is still limiting the 5970 even with these cpus.

You can view the sheet at https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AimI6xhXN4XXdF9xQWRTTWlSWFZmWkRSTHFkR05zNEE&hl=en#gid=0 and come to your own conclusion. If you're set on keeping the 965 I think you could drop to a lower gpu like a 5870 and save hundreds while causing no change at all to the score you're system will get. Unfortunately they don't show an overclocked 965 paired with a 5870 but at 3.8 - 4.0Ghz it should hit 5000+ just like the 5970 with that cpu.

For more balance with better than 5970 performance you might instead go with 2x GTX 460s in sli for, strangely enough, $460 and throw the saved $220-240 on an i5 or i7 purchase.

Anyway, just my thoughts given the data I've seen. In tests on HardOCP they've shown the 460 sli equals or beats crossfire 5870s in most games.. and crossfire 5870s beat a 5970.

If you prefer the single card 5970 there are other items in your link where you could save a lot of cash to pay for a pricier cpu and keep the 5970.

#776 Aug 11 2010 at 8:23 AM Rating: Decent
*
96 posts
Getting excited! Ordered my case, Hard Drive and power supply yesterday!
#777 Aug 11 2010 at 9:52 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
349 posts
Hey guys... Can I get some thoughts on this build?

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13659065

I'm a bit unsure about the 5770 with this build, but I'm not sure I want to drop extra money for a 58xx at this point...

I'm thinking of adding a second 5770 in the future when I have some extra cash, but for budget reasons won't add right away.

Also interested in thoughts on that mobo... Seems pricey, but I like the reviews/capabilities.

Kluya
____________________________
Kluya - WAR70/NIN37 - DNC37 - Fenrir Server

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?46342
Smithing 82.5 "Hail to thee, camp Adaman..."
#778 Aug 11 2010 at 10:00 AM Rating: Good
**
447 posts
CPU - excellent choice
PSU - excellent choice, but you may be able to scale down to say 650W and save money (add to a better GPU)
GPU - the 5770 would be the minimal choice here, and will be the bottleneck to your CPU. I would consider pulling in other areas to step up here (read: PSU & RAM). My recommendation would be to scale back on your ram to 4GB and step up to the GTX 460. Great reviews is SLI should you want to go down that path later on, and your current PSU could handle it
RAM - 6GB is a great amount, although I think you can scale back to 4GB and again use the difference to get a better GPU now & upgrade RAM later
MOBO - pricey, but very nice, you get that option to either SLI or Xfire. I like the ASUS boards and why I chose one myself
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#779 Aug 11 2010 at 10:15 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
349 posts
Thanks Knoc!

I honestly didn't realize the price for the 460 was so close to the 5770.

I see there are some good-looking asus ones with 768MB of onboard RAM that are only about $40 more than the one I have on there now. Good idea? I know onboard RAM isn't everything.
____________________________
Kluya - WAR70/NIN37 - DNC37 - Fenrir Server

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?46342
Smithing 82.5 "Hail to thee, camp Adaman..."
#780 Aug 11 2010 at 10:27 AM Rating: Good
**
447 posts
I would definitely spring for the 1GB version, as they have shown pretty good results above the 768MB one. You can still come close to your budget shifting a couple things around and getting a better system day 1.
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#781 Aug 11 2010 at 10:38 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Hi i was wondering if my system will run the game at well speeds, I would like some info from beta testers since nda is removed.
x6 1090T @ 3.9
2 5770's
4g ddr ram
1000w psu

also should i just upgrade to 2 5850s or just stick with what i have for now if i can run the game near max ill just stick with these cards but if not ill opt for 5850
#782 Aug 11 2010 at 10:45 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
349 posts
How about this one, Knoc?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391&cm_re=asus_460-_-14-121-391-_-Product

Now I see this one:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121383&cm_re=asus_geforce-_-14-121-383-_-Product

465>460?

Kluya

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 12:49pm by Kluya
____________________________
Kluya - WAR70/NIN37 - DNC37 - Fenrir Server

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?46342
Smithing 82.5 "Hail to thee, camp Adaman..."
#783 Aug 11 2010 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
**
447 posts
Nothing at all wrong with that card. With that said, not sure how comfy you are on overclocking (it really is easy with MSI Afterburner), but you could get an overclocked version from EVGA for about the same price here:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1373-TR&family=GeForce%20400%20Series%20Family&sw=

Or to compare the base reference EVGA version to your ASUS one here:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1365-TR&family=GeForce%20400%20Series%20Family&sw=

The EVGA line has gotten great reviews! I purchased the 470 from them and their support and shipping was great. They shipped same day I paid AND, they have a great wwarranty. On top of that, if you register your product with them within 30 days, they have a 90 day upgrade option. I.e., if you don't like the way that card performs and want more power, ship it back and pay the difference for a 470 or 480.

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 12:53pm by KnocturnalOne
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#784 Aug 11 2010 at 10:57 AM Rating: Decent
**
447 posts
Drakzen wrote:
Hi i was wondering if my system will run the game at well speeds, I would like some info from beta testers since nda is removed.
x6 1090T @ 3.9
2 5770's
4g ddr ram
1000w psu

also should i just upgrade to 2 5850s or just stick with what i have for now if i can run the game near max ill just stick with these cards but if not ill opt for 5850


Good choice on CPU, although not sure if FFXIV will utilize all six cores - current benchmarks aren't showing any advantages over X 4's.

Personally, I didn't care for the 5770's, and just told myself "why would I want the minimum card to run the game reasonably"? The other thing is not sure if we will have SLI/XFIRE support since the benchmark doesn't support it (without some tweaking). You may want to stay put until it releases and see if it meets your satisfaction. The 5850 is certainly a nice jump up over ONE 5770.

Edit - just reread your post and I don't think I actually answered your question. The game should run it at default settings, maybe a little higher on some options, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 12:59pm by KnocturnalOne
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#785 Aug 11 2010 at 1:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
32 posts
Ordered my pc... cant wait for it to get here

same specs i had posted above except for the 1000W PSU
#786 Aug 11 2010 at 3:43 PM Rating: Decent
*
149 posts
Thanks for the insight Athan! Could this possibly have something to do with the 5970 not using both of its gpu's? If thats not the case, i'll definitely be looking in to the price difference of your idea tonight then. My once concern is that the nvidia cards run a bit hotter than the ati from what i hear and im in a rather warm part of the country. In any case, i'll check in to that later tonight before i order it. Thanks again!
#787 Aug 11 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
22 posts
Dagger99 wrote:
Thanks for the insight Athan! Could this possibly have something to do with the 5970 not using both of its gpu's? If thats not the case, i'll definitely be looking in to the price difference of your idea tonight then. My once concern is that the nvidia cards run a bit hotter than the ati from what i hear and im in a rather warm part of the country. In any case, i'll check in to that later tonight before i order it. Thanks again!


There are a couple tweaks you can do to make the benchmark recognize multiple gpus. You should be able to find it on the forum but it involves making it run fullscreen instead of windowed and you have to rename a file.

Whether or not you're using multiple gpus if you get the same score at low and high res that indicates you're cpu limited. A gpu should naturally score differently at 1080 vs 720 because it's 1920x1080=2,073,600 pixels vs 1280x720=921,600 pixels. Pushing twice the pixels should be much harder. For example my 4890 gets 2575 high res and around 4147 low res. If I were getting the same score at both resolutions I'd know that my cpu is holding the 4890 back.

I hate high temp cards too. The GTX 460 is the one exception to Nvidia's current gen cards. It was just released in the last month or so and runs extremely cool and has low power requirements compared to other top end cards. It's even cooler than most of the high end ATIs including the 5870, 5850, and 5770. In fact from the power requirements I've seen it draws less than the ATI 4890 I bought last year.

Couple articles of interest:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/34422-evga-gtx-460-1gb-superclocked-ee-external-exhaust-review-17.html

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/09/geforce_gtx_460_1gb_sli_vs_radeon_hd_5870_cfx

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/12/nvidia_geforce_gtx_460_review/

I haven't seen a review that dislikes the 460 yet. I'm not biased either way. One of my computers is ATI the other Nvidia. I look for the best option for the price at the time I'm building and I think for now the GTX 460 is it whether single or SLI. Also if you've ever thought about a multi-monitor setup Nvidia seems to have the best implementation of it for now except that their version requires SLI.

Some more good system building articles in general to help with balancing your setup:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-platform,2469.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i5-athlon-ii,2675.html
#788 Aug 11 2010 at 5:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
18 posts
Here's what I went with and the scores I got:
AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T
2 GB DDR3 PC3 PC1333 X4
GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND
1TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB PCI-E
SONY 24X DVDRW
700 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ASETEK 510LC 120MM WATERCOOLER
ENERMAX UC-12EB 120MM BLACK CASE FAN X2
WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT

Plus I got a new case, a couple of regular fans and a bunch of extra crap that doesn't affect game-play all for around $1200.00.

Hi:2620

Low:4960

I'll add that it looked real good using HDMI on my 40 inch Samsung HDTV and the sound was rich and crisp.

Can't wait.
#789 Aug 11 2010 at 6:42 PM Rating: Decent
*
149 posts
Someone rate athan up, I don't believe I can being the forum noon I am.
One final question, if I'm thinking of building a rig that would be cheaper to upgrade in the future and go with an i7 930 and a 5970, would that be the better plan as I'd just get another 5970 down the line and probably a less limiting processor if available. Would two 5970s have a noticible performance increase without upgrading the processor later? I'm definitely going for an i7 in my build now though. Thanks for all the assistance again! I'm at work right now on my phone so I'll reply when I get home.
#790 Aug 11 2010 at 7:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
247 posts
I currently have a C2D E6600 @ 3.0GHz and an 8800GTS 320MB. I scored about 1750 on low, so needless to say I need to upgrade. SLI is not really an option because I only have a 520W Corsair PSU.

The best quad core I can stick in my Asus P5N-E MoBo is a Q9505 (basically a Q9550 with a smaller L2 cache)for $240. I also plan on buying a new GPU, either a 5770 or a GTX 460 for $150-$200. This would be an upgrade total of $390-$440.

Some comparable scores I have seen are:

Q9550 + 5770 = Hi:2600 Lo:4600
Q9550 + GTX285 = Hi:2853 Lo:4559
i5 750 + 5770 = Hi:2681 Lo:4538
i7s + GTX460 = Hi:2500 Lo:4500

Does anyone see any problems with my upgrade plans?

If the GTX 460 (either 768MB or 1GB version) seems to max out around 2500/4500 regardless of the CPU, why should I get one over a 5770 that should also get me scores near 2500/4500 with my new CPU?

I would like to stay with NVidia if at all possible, so should I wait for the GTS 450 to come out mid Sept and see how they stack up to the 5770?

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 9:51pm by Enscheff
#791 Aug 11 2010 at 8:16 PM Rating: Decent
49 posts
Can anyone help me out??
These are my specs on my laptop it's a dell XPS M1710 and I run max settings on WoW and AION but cant run the benchmark anyone know if it can handle FFXIV? Please help me ut

Processor: Intel Core Duo T2600 (2.16 GHz)
Memory: 2GB @ 667MHz - 2 DIMM Slots (2 x 1GB) (Max Ram 4GB)
Hard Drive: 100GB capacity at a speed of 7200 RPM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX with 512MB DDR memory
Screen: WUXGA Truelife (1920 x 1200
#792 Aug 11 2010 at 10:36 PM Rating: Decent
38 posts
a question
would an i5 760 4x 2.8 overclocked 30% with a nvidia gtx480 1.5gb video card

or a 17 960 4x 3.2 with a nvidia gtx460 1 gb video card

which would perform best for this game?
#793 Aug 12 2010 at 2:47 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Dagger99 wrote:
Someone rate athan up, I don't believe I can being the forum noon I am.
One final question, if I'm thinking of building a rig that would be cheaper to upgrade in the future and go with an i7 930 and a 5970, would that be the better plan as I'd just get another 5970 down the line and probably a less limiting processor if available. Would two 5970s have a noticible performance increase without upgrading the processor later? I'm definitely going for an i7 in my build now though. Thanks for all the assistance again! I'm at work right now on my phone so I'll reply when I get home.


If you had a 5970 and an i7-930, I'd probably upgrade the 930 to a 960 or a 980X before I'd add a second 5970.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#794 Aug 12 2010 at 2:55 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Enscheff wrote:
I currently have a C2D E6600 @ 3.0GHz and an 8800GTS 320MB. I scored about 1750 on low, so needless to say I need to upgrade. SLI is not really an option because I only have a 520W Corsair PSU.

The best quad core I can stick in my Asus P5N-E MoBo is a Q9505 (basically a Q9550 with a smaller L2 cache)for $240. I also plan on buying a new GPU, either a 5770 or a GTX 460 for $150-$200. This would be an upgrade total of $390-$440.

Some comparable scores I have seen are:

Q9550 + 5770 = Hi:2600 Lo:4600
Q9550 + GTX285 = Hi:2853 Lo:4559
i5 750 + 5770 = Hi:2681 Lo:4538
i7s + GTX460 = Hi:2500 Lo:4500

Does anyone see any problems with my upgrade plans?

If the GTX 460 (either 768MB or 1GB version) seems to max out around 2500/4500 regardless of the CPU, why should I get one over a 5770 that should also get me scores near 2500/4500 with my new CPU?

I would like to stay with NVidia if at all possible, so should I wait for the GTS 450 to come out mid Sept and see how they stack up to the 5770?

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 9:51pm by Enscheff


I'd strongly suggest a GTX over a GTS for high end games. The GTX460 is a great buy for the price/performance ratio. Even if your CPU is the bottleneck, you can always replace the motherboard and CPU later if you really wanted to. I have a 5770 but have to admit that if the 460 were out when I had made my purchases, I might have spent a little extra and gotten it instead. Honestly, I wish I had gotten at least a 5830 but que sera sera.

Another thing about the benchmark is that the low res is mostly CPU based and the high res is mostly GPU based. At the same time, and by looking at the four specs you posted, I must admit I'm rather befuddled at why the other better cards (the 460 and 285) came out so close to the 5770; they should have performed better or the 5770 should have performed lower. I'm running a PhenomII X4 with a 5770 and get 2500/4000.

Here's how the cards stack up though: http://videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

In the end, a 5770 or a 460 are both good choices.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#795 Aug 12 2010 at 2:57 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
seiferxXI wrote:
Can anyone help me out??
These are my specs on my laptop it's a dell XPS M1710 and I run max settings on WoW and AION but cant run the benchmark anyone know if it can handle FFXIV? Please help me ut

Processor: Intel Core Duo T2600 (2.16 GHz)
Memory: 2GB @ 667MHz - 2 DIMM Slots (2 x 1GB) (Max Ram 4GB)
Hard Drive: 100GB capacity at a speed of 7200 RPM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX with 512MB DDR memory
Screen: WUXGA Truelife (1920 x 1200


The performance of that video card is significantly below that of the 9600 (the minimum requirement). I doubt XIV would be playable on this system.

If you can't run the benchmark at all, update DirectX 9.0C and updare your graphics drivers (either at the laptop manufacturer's site or at nvidia.com) and then try again.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#796 Aug 12 2010 at 3:00 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Prittis wrote:
a question
would an i5 760 4x 2.8 overclocked 30% with a nvidia gtx480 1.5gb video card

or a 17 960 4x 3.2 with a nvidia gtx460 1 gb video card

which would perform best for this game?


In the first example, the card may be bottlenecked by the CPU, I wouldn't be able to say without seeing it. In the second, not so much.

There are a couple threads on here with some benchmark scores that would be able to give you some more precise numbers (although at stock speeds, probably not overclocked so much). I'd find them for you but I'm about to go to sleep, so I apologize.

If I had to guess, I'd say the first one might be better but I'm just guessing here.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#797 Aug 12 2010 at 3:51 AM Rating: Default
*
149 posts
Thanks for the tip Mikhalia, i ordered earlier and have a 960 on the way. I'll probably get some better water cooling and OC it a bit when im ready to put the other card in. Nice name change and avatar as well. More fun from lucky sevens, eh
#798 Aug 12 2010 at 9:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
247 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Enscheff wrote:
I currently have a C2D E6600 @ 3.0GHz and an 8800GTS 320MB. I scored about 1750 on low, so needless to say I need to upgrade. SLI is not really an option because I only have a 520W Corsair PSU.

The best quad core I can stick in my Asus P5N-E MoBo is a Q9505 (basically a Q9550 with a smaller L2 cache)for $240. I also plan on buying a new GPU, either a 5770 or a GTX 460 for $150-$200. This would be an upgrade total of $390-$440.

Some comparable scores I have seen are:

Q9550 + 5770 = Hi:2600 Lo:4600
Q9550 + GTX285 = Hi:2853 Lo:4559
i5 750 + 5770 = Hi:2681 Lo:4538
i7s + GTX460 = Hi:2500 Lo:4500

Does anyone see any problems with my upgrade plans?

If the GTX 460 (either 768MB or 1GB version) seems to max out around 2500/4500 regardless of the CPU, why should I get one over a 5770 that should also get me scores near 2500/4500 with my new CPU?

I would like to stay with NVidia if at all possible, so should I wait for the GTS 450 to come out mid Sept and see how they stack up to the 5770?

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 9:51pm by Enscheff


I'd strongly suggest a GTX over a GTS for high end games. The GTX460 is a great buy for the price/performance ratio. Even if your CPU is the bottleneck, you can always replace the motherboard and CPU later if you really wanted to. I have a 5770 but have to admit that if the 460 were out when I had made my purchases, I might have spent a little extra and gotten it instead. Honestly, I wish I had gotten at least a 5830 but que sera sera.

Another thing about the benchmark is that the low res is mostly CPU based and the high res is mostly GPU based. At the same time, and by looking at the four specs you posted, I must admit I'm rather befuddled at why the other better cards (the 460 and 285) came out so close to the 5770; they should have performed better or the 5770 should have performed lower. I'm running a PhenomII X4 with a 5770 and get 2500/4000.

Here's how the cards stack up though: http://videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

In the end, a 5770 or a 460 are both good choices.


When I was doing my research I was also surprised to see the GTX 460 score around the same or lower then a 5770 in high res. I would fully expect an i7/460 combo to score much higher than a Q9550/5770 combo, so maybe something else in these systems is the bottleneck like RAM speed...or something? Maybe the drivers for NVidia really are that much worse than the current ATI drivers?

In your case, your 2500 score on high matches the typical 5770 score I have seen, but your Phenom II X4 (especially if it is a slower version) is slightly less powerful than a Q9550 or other Intel quad core, resulting in a low res score about 500 points lower. I bet an OC of your CPU to closer to 4.0GHz would get your low res score above 4500. Who knows...

Edited, Aug 12th 2010 11:18am by Enscheff
#799 Aug 12 2010 at 11:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts

I finally finished building my new rig. It includes a Phenom II x4 955 and a GTX 460 1Gb from Palit (factory OCed version). And I just wanted to say the CoolerMaster CM690 II is a pretty **** good case. It was very easy to work with. I've got a total of 7 fans installed on it. :)

CPU @ 3.2, GPU @ 800/2000 (stock settings)
Low: 4,120
High: 2,895

CPU @ 4.0, GPU @ 900/2060 (OCed)
Low: 4,754
High: 3,266

I must admit I'm disappointed with the 1080p score when I overclocked the GPU that high. I was hoping to hit 3,500. :(

On a side note, I disabled Cool&Quiet when I was testing the overclocking. Then when I was done I enabled Cool&Quiet back on but it wouldn't work anymore. I think I broke it. ; ;
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#800 Aug 12 2010 at 11:44 AM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Great thread, everyone seems very helpful, so ill dive in...

Firstly (for anyone thinking about the laptop route) i just got a MSI gx640 and it does about 2,800 in 720p on benchmark, which is so so (great for laptop)

I want to play with my desktop when i get home tho(i travel a **** ton)
Need some suggestions, im not trying to build a system from scratch, but want to see the game shine.
PSU: 600W
Mobo: newish gigabyte crossfire compatable socket 775...
CPU: C2D E8600 3.33ghz...dont want to upgrade, thinking bout aftermarket cooler and OCing to like 4.2ghz
GPU: 8800gts, but want to buy 2 4870s since they are getting down to $90ish each
RAM: 2gigs ddr2 800, not sure where to go...guessing 4gb ddr2 1066 or w/e

Ive seen rigs like this get up to 19k in 3dmark06 with the E8600 OC

And i wouldnt need to buy new motherboard and cpu

all together it would prob cost me 350 bucks to make these upgrades...not sure about what kinda cpu cooler tho

what do y'all think
#801 Aug 12 2010 at 12:34 PM Rating: Decent
**
447 posts
Threx wrote:

I finally finished building my new rig. It includes a Phenom II x4 955 and a GTX 460 1Gb from Palit (factory OCed version). And I just wanted to say the CoolerMaster CM690 II is a pretty **** good case. It was very easy to work with. I've got a total of 7 fans installed on it. :)

CPU @ 3.2, GPU @ 800/2000 (stock settings)
Low: 4,120
High: 2,895

CPU @ 4.0, GPU @ 900/2060 (OCed)
Low: 4,754
High: 3,266

I must admit I'm disappointed with the 1080p score when I overclocked the GPU that high. I was hoping to hit 3,500. :(

On a side note, I disabled Cool&Quiet when I was testing the overclocking. Then when I was done I enabled Cool&Quiet back on but it wouldn't work anymore. I think I broke it. ; ;


Very nice build there. Mine is very similar (965 & 470). I assume you went with an ASUS board? I also disabled the 'Cool N Quiet' features since OC guides said to do so.

If Asus board, which one did you get? I got the M4N98TD EVO.

OC CPU to 3.6 & GPU to 800/1600 and scores of 4300 / 4900
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


This thread is locked
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)