Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Computer Building GuideFollow

#1652 Oct 01 2010 at 4:31 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
I am currently using a Ge Force 8800 GS 378MB on 1920x1080 Resolution. Most of my settings were on high and I was experiencing lag and stalling in menus. I turned everything down to mid-level graphics, but it doesn't seem to change much besides making the GPU work 80% instead of 95%. Measured with MSI Afterburner.

If I upgrade to a GeForce ATX 465 1GB will it resolve these lag and menu navigation issues? I am also running an AMD Athlon X2 2.5Ghz , which is enough above the minimum that I shouldn't be having issues there. I am also using 2GB of Memory, but most games only recognize 1.499 GB.

If I spend the money to upgrade the graphics card will it get rid of the "lag" or is that because the game is lagging and operating EVERYTHING server side?

Please let me know. :-)


BTW, Benchmark Scores: 1,355 Score

Load Time 18,588ms

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 6:41pm by taskun56
#1653 Oct 01 2010 at 4:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
Balfrea wrote:
Hey all

I posted a few days ago about upgrading my system, but didn't really give as much info as I should have. Now, I am getting the much needed $ to upgrade the system, and wanted to get an opinion on what is best for me. Here are my specs!

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
RAM:4gigs
Graphics Processor: Single Graphics Processors - 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GTS
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5600+ Processor w/ HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium

My main worry is that new processors, at least from the comp. building guide won't work with my motherboard. I figure, people here might know more than I about what I could get with the Motherboard I have, or if it would be necessary to buy a new MB. I am trying to do this well under $1000 so, the best I can do with that would be very helpful!



Both your processor and your vid card should be upgraded if you really want to play this game.
#1654 Oct 01 2010 at 4:52 PM Rating: Decent
26 posts
is there a processor that you would recommend?
#1655 Oct 01 2010 at 5:55 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
phenom IIx4 965 , make sure ur motherboard is AMD3 not AMD2
#1656 Oct 01 2010 at 6:06 PM Rating: Decent
26 posts
it is amd2, so I should upgrade mobo as well then?
#1657 Oct 01 2010 at 6:19 PM Rating: Decent
26 posts
For Taskun56...

I am running HD5850 OC at max and CPU 965 OC at 3.67 with 4G Ram. No lag in areas but I do get some 1-2 seconds lag to load menus, specially when browsing over retainers. So even if you get the GTX465 you will get lag from menus. I believe this is a server issue rather than GPU issue. Although I might be wrong.

Hope it helps.
#1658 Oct 01 2010 at 7:09 PM Rating: Decent
1 post
I want to build a pc for gameing and im pretty sure of the parts i have selected id just like some feedback on how this will fair with FFxiv.
MoBo-MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
Graphix-XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity .. or a evga gtx 460 fermi superclocked not sure whats the best
PSU-CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80
RAM-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Processor-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor



all of this will run me $800 even
#1659 Oct 01 2010 at 7:25 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
That actually helps a huge deal. Your rig is insane compared to mine and your still getting that lag that makes the game less smooth. As far as graphics go I am not amazing, but the game still looks fan-f-tastic. When I upgrade my comp I will still be getting that gear but for now I won't stress on the money for it unless the game gets worse for me.

Thanks very much.
#1660 Oct 01 2010 at 7:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
taskun56 wrote:
I am currently using a Ge Force 8800 GS 378MB on 1920x1080 Resolution. Most of my settings were on high and I was experiencing lag and stalling in menus. I turned everything down to mid-level graphics, but it doesn't seem to change much besides making the GPU work 80% instead of 95%. Measured with MSI Afterburner.

If I upgrade to a GeForce ATX 465 1GB will it resolve these lag and menu navigation issues? I am also running an AMD Athlon X2 2.5Ghz , which is enough above the minimum that I shouldn't be having issues there. I am also using 2GB of Memory, but most games only recognize 1.499 GB.

If I spend the money to upgrade the graphics card will it get rid of the "lag" or is that because the game is lagging and operating EVERYTHING server side?

Please let me know. :-)


BTW, Benchmark Scores: 1,355 Score

Load Time 18,588ms

Edited, Oct 1st 2010 6:41pm by taskun56



Your system is probably CPU bottlenecked for one. The video card is also very sub-par for the power this game requires to look good and run smoothly. Upgrading the graphics card may or may not help you since the CPU is bottlenecking it so badly. This game takes my i7 2 entire cores at 80-100% at all times plus 2 more at 30% or so at all times. I'd get a new processor first, then worry about a video card. The physics in this game is run on the CPU only as it is not "PhysX" by nvidia so if you don't have a good cpu it's gonna kick ur fps ***.
#1661 Oct 01 2010 at 7:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
ixipwnz wrote:
I want to build a pc for gameing and im pretty sure of the parts i have selected id just like some feedback on how this will fair with FFxiv.
MoBo-MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
Graphix-XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity .. or a evga gtx 460 fermi superclocked not sure whats the best
PSU-CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80
RAM-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Processor-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor



all of this will run me $800 even


That should get you decent fps (not with high AA, AO though; you'd need a 5870 or gtx 480 for that)
#1662 Oct 01 2010 at 7:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
160 posts
Hey everyone, please help a poor man make a decision, lol. Here is my current system...

Athlon 3800 x2 (2.0ghz)
4gb DDR2 Ram
8800 GT OC
Win 7

I have about a hundred bucks to spend for the month and was looking at this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103872

Toms Hardware had it listed as the best bang for the buck right now and I'm just trying to hold out till December when I'll get my new rig.

So what do you guys think? Go for the processor? Go for a video card? Anything to smooth the game out for a few months......
#1663 Oct 01 2010 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
95 posts
thumperbs wrote:
Hey everyone, please help a poor man make a decision, lol. Here is my current system...

Athlon 3800 x2 (2.0ghz)
4gb DDR2 Ram
8800 GT OC
Win 7

I have about a hundred bucks to spend for the month and was looking at this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103872

Toms Hardware had it listed as the best bang for the buck right now and I'm just trying to hold out till December when I'll get my new rig.

So what do you guys think? Go for the processor? Go for a video card? Anything to smooth the game out for a few months......


If you're going to upgrade the processor, assuming your motherboard can do AM2+, this is a steal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&ItemList=Combo.412216

A hundred bucks not really gonna get you a worthy video card...200ish will get you something worth it.
#1664 Oct 02 2010 at 2:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
AhiraSonofEnan wrote:
For Taskun56...

I am running HD5850 OC at max and CPU 965 OC at 3.67 with 4G Ram. No lag in areas but I do get some 1-2 seconds lag to load menus, specially when browsing over retainers. So even if you get the GTX465 you will get lag from menus. I believe this is a server issue rather than GPU issue. Although I might be wrong.

Hope it helps.


This is correct. The delay you get when opening menus and NPC chat boxes is due to horribly unoptimized client/server connections. It has nothing to do with your computer hardware.

Your computer hardware determines how "choppy" the game is, not the delay between chatboxes and menus.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1665 Oct 02 2010 at 2:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
ixipwnz wrote:
I want to build a pc for gameing and im pretty sure of the parts i have selected id just like some feedback on how this will fair with FFxiv.

Graphix-XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity .. or a evga gtx 460 fermi superclocked not sure whats the best
Processor-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor


It will fare alright.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1666 Oct 02 2010 at 2:59 AM Rating: Decent
1 post
hi guys would this set up be able to play FFXIV on full settings?

Chassis - :: G970X 17.3'
Screen - :: 17.3' 1920x1080 Full HD LED Backlit X-Glass
Processor - :: Intel® Core™ i7 980X EE Six Core Processor 3.33GHz 12MB Cache 32nm
Video Card - :: 2x NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 480M 2GB GDDR5 DX11 with SLI Technology
Memory - :: 12GB Triple Channel DDR3 1333Mhz 3x 4GB DIMM
Hard Drive - :: 500GB Western Digital 7,200rpm with 16MB Cache - Free Upgrade!
Hard Drive 2 - :: 500GB Western Digital 7,200rpm with 16MB Cache
Hard Drive Config 1 - :: RAID 0 - Striped Drive Configuration
Operating system 1 - :: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Optical Device 1 - :: Blu-Ray Writer / DVD±R/W
Keyboard - :: English UK
7 in 1 card reader - :: 9 in 1 card reader
Soundcard - :: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB
Headsets - :: Razer™ Barracuda™ HP-1 Gaming Headset
Mouse - :: Razer™ Mamba™ 5600dpi Frost Blue Laser Mouse
Mouse Mats - :: Razer™ Pro|Solution™ Pro Pad
Notebook Cooler - :: Silver Zalman ZM-NC2000 Notebook Cooler
#1667 Oct 02 2010 at 3:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Spiratus wrote:
hi guys would this set up be able to play FFXIV on full settings?


No laptop today will let you play FFXIV smoothly on maxed out settings.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1668 Oct 02 2010 at 7:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
Spiratus wrote:
hi guys would this set up be able to play FFXIV on full settings?

Chassis - :: G970X 17.3'
Screen - :: 17.3' 1920x1080 Full HD LED Backlit X-Glass
Processor - :: Intel® Core™ i7 980X EE Six Core Processor 3.33GHz 12MB Cache 32nm
Video Card - :: 2x NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 480M 2GB GDDR5 DX11 with SLI Technology
Memory - :: 12GB Triple Channel DDR3 1333Mhz 3x 4GB DIMM
Hard Drive - :: 500GB Western Digital 7,200rpm with 16MB Cache - Free Upgrade!
Hard Drive 2 - :: 500GB Western Digital 7,200rpm with 16MB Cache
Hard Drive Config 1 - :: RAID 0 - Striped Drive Configuration
Operating system 1 - :: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Optical Device 1 - :: Blu-Ray Writer / DVD±R/W
Keyboard - :: English UK
7 in 1 card reader - :: 9 in 1 card reader
Soundcard - :: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB
Headsets - :: Razer™ Barracuda™ HP-1 Gaming Headset
Mouse - :: Razer™ Mamba™ 5600dpi Frost Blue Laser Mouse
Mouse Mats - :: Razer™ Pro|Solution™ Pro Pad
Notebook Cooler - :: Silver Zalman ZM-NC2000 Notebook Cooler



As the other guy said, there are no notebooks on the planet that can as it's only a 480m (mobile edition, which is far far far weaker than a true gtx 480). As such, you could play at decent settings, but no, not even close to maxed out settings. Not even 2 real gtx 480s can do everything on all the way including 16xAA, 2x res rendering, AO, depth of field with all other settings on highest without framerate issues in this game. Also, consider buying 5 backup batteries for that monster lol. That's a ton of power for a laptop.

Edited, Oct 2nd 2010 9:05am by haydyn323
#1669 Oct 02 2010 at 7:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
Balfrea wrote:
it is amd2, so I should upgrade mobo as well then?


You will likely need to upgrade the ram/motherboard/cpu together to switch to an AM3 socket cpu. AM3 motherboards take ddr3 dual channel ram whereas old AM2s generally take ddr2 (not compatible). On a side note if you have the money to spend for an intel i7 instead, they do better in this game as they have more/faster L2 and L3 cpu cache and this is an intensely cpu dependent game.
#1670 Oct 02 2010 at 7:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Some AM2 motherboard are able to run AM3 CPUs with the newer firmwares. Try checking out your motherboard brand's website and see whether its newest firmware allows it to use AM3 CPUs. If it does, you won't *need* to buy a new motherboard and RAM, although I still recommend you to.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1671 Oct 02 2010 at 8:56 AM Rating: Decent
23 posts
Hey guys

Icurrently am playing with thee following rig.

Q6600 @ 2.8 [may overclock more)
6gb RAM
2x 8800gtx sli setup

I play at mtg max resolution (1920x1080)
No AA
Shadows low
Buffer at resolution
Depth of field on
The other two things are on high and highest respectively

N Iow play great out doors. servers are just lag fests we all know that.

My downstairs computer has a 4850 in it.
S Ihould consider swapping it out?
My common senses say no but eh lol
#1672 Oct 02 2010 at 10:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
dennis20014 wrote:
Hey guys

Icurrently am playing with thee following rig.

Q6600 @ 2.8 [may overclock more)
6gb RAM
2x 8800gtx sli setup

I play at mtg max resolution (1920x1080)
No AA
Shadows low
Buffer at resolution
Depth of field on
The other two things are on high and highest respectively

N Iow play great out doors. servers are just lag fests we all know that.

My downstairs computer has a 4850 in it.
S Ihould consider swapping it out?
My common senses say no but eh lol



Only if you intend to play on it a lot. Otherwise it's doable at low res/settings.
#1673 Oct 02 2010 at 10:53 AM Rating: Decent
23 posts
Uhm..I meant like should I switch out the

8800gtx sli rig

for the

4850?


Or is that what you meant lol
#1674 Oct 02 2010 at 12:44 PM Rating: Decent
*
66 posts
Hey guys

I do apologise, I haven't read through all 34 pages of this thread but I was wondering if you mind commenting on my specs that I am aiming to get for this game :)

Would it be playable on high settings?



Case
STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-870 Quad Core (2.93GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost

Motherboard
ASUS® P7P55 LX: USB 2.0 & SATA 3.0Gb/s, CrossFireX™ SUPPORT

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX465 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Free Item
FREE MAFIA II Game (RRP: £34.99) with a qualifying GTX 4xx Series GPU!


Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)


1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply & Case Cooling
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)

Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET LGA1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD


Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)


Thanks for your time :)






Edited, Oct 2nd 2010 2:46pm by Konydiver
#1675 Oct 02 2010 at 1:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
dennis20014 wrote:
Uhm..I meant like should I switch out the

8800gtx sli rig

for the

4850?


Or is that what you meant lol


The 4850 would be a little bit faster at the moment since SLI isn't working well or at all in FFXIV but if/once that gets sorted out they'd be about the same probably.
#1676 Oct 02 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
23 posts
Right that's what I figured

And the game runs great now. I uh figured something out that turned out I didn't have my 3rd and 4th cores enabled ...lol I feel retarded

Anyway thanks for the help
#1677 Oct 02 2010 at 2:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
Konydiver wrote:
Hey guys

I do apologise, I haven't read through all 34 pages of this thread but I was wondering if you mind commenting on my specs that I am aiming to get for this game :)

Would it be playable on high settings?



Case
STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-870 Quad Core (2.93GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost

Motherboard
ASUS® P7P55 LX: USB 2.0 & SATA 3.0Gb/s, CrossFireX™ SUPPORT

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX465 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Free Item
FREE MAFIA II Game (RRP: £34.99) with a qualifying GTX 4xx Series GPU!


Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)


1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply & Case Cooling
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)

Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET LGA1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD


Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)


Thanks for your time :)






Edited, Oct 2nd 2010 2:46pm by Konydiver



As a rule I would recommend an OC'd gtx 460 over a gtx 465. In every test I've ever seen the OC'd 460 beats out the 465 and even ties the 470 if oc'd enough. The 465 on the other hand is not really OC'able so it's stuck at the clock settings it ships with (or very close to it). Also a 460 is capable of dolby True HD and dts master audio (the highest end blu-ray sound formats by hdmi) which currently no other Nvidia cards can do. If you care about that for using your computer for movies.

As for your question, you will be able to run at fairly high settings, but not even close to maxed out. This game is pretty crazy in requirements if you want to run on max. You'd need a gtx 480 or 5870 to run everything even close to maxed out (that seems excessive but it's the truth). I've never seen a screenshot of anyone running the game at absolute max settings with everything on and 1920x1080 or higher at close to 60fps. You can get it looking pretty **** good with that setup though. Just not super crazy.

Edited, Oct 2nd 2010 4:21pm by haydyn323
#1678 Oct 02 2010 at 2:47 PM Rating: Decent
*
66 posts
Thanks a lot, really cleared up the issue I was having with choosing the 460 over the 465. I am interested in playing movies on the computer so I'm going to follow your advice and go with the 460.

I know I wouldn't get to play on max settings but I want to be able to play it on high with decent fps.

Thanks for the support :)
#1679 Oct 02 2010 at 2:59 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
haydyn323 wrote:
Shneibel wrote:
IF you have to choise between those 2 GPU, which one will you choise that worth the cash and can use for long term, as i mean longer than usually.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285M SLI : http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-285M-SLI.25624.0.html

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 Crossfire: http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870-Crossfire.29486.0.html

Link are for their spec


If you are choosing between those 2, get a 5870. The only single card better than a 5870 is the geforce gtx 480. The 5870 will blow a 285 away. (on a side note, I am aware of the existence of the 5970, but it's a dual gpu card which as of now doesn't work well with this game compared to a single high powered gpu; though that may change in the future)


ATI card do have problem with FFXIV isnt it ?
#1680 Oct 02 2010 at 4:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
Shneibel wrote:
haydyn323 wrote:
Shneibel wrote:
IF you have to choise between those 2 GPU, which one will you choise that worth the cash and can use for long term, as i mean longer than usually.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285M SLI : http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-285M-SLI.25624.0.html

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 Crossfire: http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870-Crossfire.29486.0.html

Link are for their spec


If you are choosing between those 2, get a 5870. The only single card better than a 5870 is the geforce gtx 480. The 5870 will blow a 285 away. (on a side note, I am aware of the existence of the 5970, but it's a dual gpu card which as of now doesn't work well with this game compared to a single high powered gpu; though that may change in the future)


ATI card do have problem with FFXIV isnt it ?


ATI cards do not have any problem with FFXIV. FFXIV has a problem with SLI and crossfire. A single powerful card like a 5870 will get better framerate than 2 weaker cards like the 285 for this game.
#1681 Oct 02 2010 at 10:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Just to add, the game doesn't just have a problem with SLI/Crossfire, it has a problem with multi GPUs.

Therefore, a single powerful card like the 5970 (that has two processors on the same card) will also not be running at full potential.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1682 Oct 03 2010 at 1:58 AM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
haydyn323 wrote:
Shneibel wrote:
haydyn323 wrote:
Shneibel wrote:
IF you have to choise between those 2 GPU, which one will you choise that worth the cash and can use for long term, as i mean longer than usually.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285M SLI : http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-285M-SLI.25624.0.html

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 Crossfire: http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870-Crossfire.29486.0.html

Link are for their spec


If you are choosing between those 2, get a 5870. The only single card better than a 5870 is the geforce gtx 480. The 5870 will blow a 285 away. (on a side note, I am aware of the existence of the 5970, but it's a dual gpu card which as of now doesn't work well with this game compared to a single high powered gpu; though that may change in the future)


ATI card do have problem with FFXIV isnt it ?


ATI cards do not have any problem with FFXIV. FFXIV has a problem with SLI and crossfire. A single powerful card like a 5870 will get better framerate than 2 weaker cards like the 285 for this game.


on other post at other site, ppl say crossfire and SLI can work with FFXIV, and even so, it still possible to set the game to run with 1 GPU if you have crossfire ?
#1683 Oct 03 2010 at 2:44 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
All SLI and crossfire will do for you at the moment, assuming you configure it for this, is split the load between the two cards. As for preformance, it does nothing as FFXIV is not currently configured to work properly with SLI or Crossfire for what they are actually supposed to do. So in the end, 1 Great card will be better than 2 decent cards... or even 2 great cards for that matter.
#1684 Oct 03 2010 at 3:50 AM Rating: Decent
In the process of building my new gaming rig (specifically for FFXIV). I have roughly 1-2 grand US to work with to get the remaining parts. I am already about 1500 in.

Here is what I got...

Cooler Master Full Tower (Green Dragon limited edition)
EVGA Classified Mobo x58
2 x EVGA GTX 265 Fermi's (1g ddr5)
Fatility Sound Card
1tb Raptor HDD
Win 7 64 Ultimate
Cooler Master V-8 CPU Cooler (found it for $20 new in the box, couldn't pass the price)
Cooler Master 750 PSU (I know its not enough for SLI, going to get a 1000)
6 x 3 speed adjustable case fans (forget the brand but they are sick fans, anodized green, magnetic bearings, they match my monster case)

Here is what I plan on getting to fill the gaps with recent new egg prices.

i7-920 Bloomfield $299
Corsair Dominator GT 8 gb $269.99
OCZ Agility 2 sdd 60 gb $140
Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000 watt PSU $215 (may go with a corsair same wattage for $230)

I don't really think my disc drives are that relevant but I am getting 2 (bluray and non-bluray)

Is there a top end network card I should target?

Should I go with Crucial Ram over Corsair?

I am open to feedback, I want to avoid bottle necking my system, but I can't go too overboard (well that term is relative I guess).
#1685 Oct 03 2010 at 6:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
marcopoloofcaitsith wrote:
In the process of building my new gaming rig (specifically for FFXIV). I have roughly 1-2 grand US to work with to get the remaining parts. I am already about 1500 in.

Here is what I got...

Cooler Master Full Tower (Green Dragon limited edition)
EVGA Classified Mobo x58
2 x EVGA GTX 265 Fermi's (1g ddr5)
Fatility Sound Card
1tb Raptor HDD
Win 7 64 Ultimate
Cooler Master V-8 CPU Cooler (found it for $20 new in the box, couldn't pass the price)
Cooler Master 750 PSU (I know its not enough for SLI, going to get a 1000)
6 x 3 speed adjustable case fans (forget the brand but they are sick fans, anodized green, magnetic bearings, they match my monster case)

Here is what I plan on getting to fill the gaps with recent new egg prices.

i7-920 Bloomfield $299
Corsair Dominator GT 8 gb $269.99
OCZ Agility 2 sdd 60 gb $140
Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000 watt PSU $215 (may go with a corsair same wattage for $230)

I don't really think my disc drives are that relevant but I am getting 2 (bluray and non-bluray)

Is there a top end network card I should target?

Should I go with Crucial Ram over Corsair?

I am open to feedback, I want to avoid bottle necking my system, but I can't go too overboard (well that term is relative I guess).


As for a top end network card, I wouldn't spend the money on it. This game has so much server end lag that reducing your own ping by 3-5 is going to make about 0.01% difference. They are also way overpriced for as little as they help in my opinion. Just use the built in mobo 1gb. If you play first person shooters online and you want to be ultra elite it may be worth it for you, otherwise, don't bother. For most people 5 thousandths of a second is not going to help.

RAM brand matters very little outside checking that your motherboard's current bios will be able to use it at all. I'm guessing it would be fine with either. Both of those brands have a good reputation for few dead sticks. On a side note, you appear to be getting an i7-920, likely with thoughts of overclocking. That said, get ram capable of 1333 or 1600 MHz operation as overclocking the i7's base clock will automatically overclock your ram as well (from the default of 1066MHz). If you overclock it to beyond the functional ability of the ram (by buying 1066 ram for instance) you won't have a working overclock. You can potentially overclock lower end ram if you buy heatsinks to attach to them and added fans and whatnot, but I'd suggest something that is built for the speed as ram is not as forgiving as the I7 itself in overclocking.

The rest of your setup seems good. Both of those companies are reputable for power supplies, though corsair possibly a bit more. I'm guessing either would work, and both would replace a faulty unit.
#1686 Oct 03 2010 at 2:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
57 posts
I just recently replaced the video card from 2 evga 8800 GTS 512 to a evga Geforce GTZ 470. I also just ordered a Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9450(12M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB. Currently I have a Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8500 (6M Cache, 3.16 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB).

How would FFXIV do with this system?

123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI FTW ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

512-P3-N845-AR e-GeForce 8800GTS KO 512MB dedicated to physx

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9450(12M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

OCZ Gold Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel

2 HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Professional Edition

I can not afford buying a new motherboard and cpu at the moment so this will have to do.

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 1:16pm by BizzyMe

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 2:19pm by BizzyMe
____________________________
[img]http://xivpads.com/sig/i/2166907/xivpads.png[/img]
#1687 Oct 03 2010 at 3:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
35 posts
FYI, if you're in the market for an i7, microcenter not only sells 930's for $200 like has been said, but i just purchased a -950- from them for only $230. check your local microcenters!
____________________________
Yzoho 90 THF
Sylph
#1688 Oct 03 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
BizzyMe wrote:
I just recently replaced the video card from 2 evga 8800 GTS 512 to a evga Geforce GTZ 470. I also just ordered a Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9450(12M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB. Currently I have a Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8500 (6M Cache, 3.16 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB).

How would FFXIV do with this system?

123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI FTW ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

512-P3-N845-AR e-GeForce 8800GTS KO 512MB dedicated to physx

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9450(12M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

OCZ Gold Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel

2 HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Professional Edition

I can not afford buying a new motherboard and cpu at the moment so this will have to do.

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 1:16pm by BizzyMe

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 2:19pm by BizzyMe


You will probably be able to play with most settings on high at 1920x1080 or so, but possibly not with more than 2-4x Antialiasing if at all. You should set the "Buffer Size" to the "resolution" setting. Probably shouldn't turn Depth of Field or Ambient Occlusion on. With those settings you'd likely get 20-60 fps depending on where in the game you are. Some busy areas get some serious fps loss due to large numbers of characters on the screen. You may be mildly CPU limited as FFXIV takes up 4 cores (specifically 2 almost completely at all times and 2 more partially; probably about 40-60% fluctuating in your case) The extra card for physX is of no use to this game as the physics option in the game is not "physX" technology by Nvidia and thus cannot be run by an nvidia card; only your cpu.

You might get spikes of time where your computer seems frozen for half a second or so as well just due to the speed of your ram (especially parts of towns and around crystals where the huge numbers of textures will overrun your video ram onto your main system ram.) That's my best guess anyway. May or may not happen. 1280MB ddr5 vid ram might be enough to avoid that.
#1689 Oct 03 2010 at 5:01 PM Rating: Decent
This:

Case: NZXT Tempest EVo - $100 Street
Motherboard: Asus P6T - $210 Street
Chip: Intel Core i7-980X - $999 List
HD (Spinning): Seagate Barracuda XT (2TB) - $300 Street
HD (SSD): Crucial Real SSD C300 (256 GB) - $759 Street
Blu Ray Drive: Lite-on 4x - $109 Street
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5970 - $699 Street
RAM: 3 CSX Diablo DDR 3 (2GB) - $150 list
Power Supply: Ultra X4 1050W ATX Power Supply - $280 list
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate - $220 direct

EDIT: forgot to mention that this is what I plan on upgrading to. Any thoughts?

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 7:04pm by WeedjediRedux
____________________________
I'm back, not to cause trouble. And anyone who knows the original Weedjedi.....please don't karma bomb me. Just saying.
I'm 20 now, more mature and less stupid. And the only reason I didn't use the original weedjedi is because I can't remember it's login details.
#1690 Oct 03 2010 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
BizzyMe wrote:
I also just ordered a Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9450
Seems like a waste of money replacing old technology with slightly less old technology.

WeedjediRedux wrote:
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate
lol

Yeah your computer blows. I've taken ***** that can run FFXIV better with Ambient Occlusion on.

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 6:07pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#1691 Oct 03 2010 at 5:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
35 posts
why on earth would you get a 980X? what are you doing? $760 SSD? what the ****?

please spend more than 2 days researching computer hardware and save yourself $2000. i'd say 80% of what you listed is a facepalm.

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 7:28pm by kingklops
____________________________
Yzoho 90 THF
Sylph
#1692 Oct 03 2010 at 5:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
WeedjediRedux wrote:
This:

Case: NZXT Tempest EVo - $100 Street
Motherboard: Asus P6T - $210 Street
Chip: Intel Core i7-980X - $999 List
HD (Spinning): Seagate Barracuda XT (2TB) - $300 Street
HD (SSD): Crucial Real SSD C300 (256 GB) - $759 Street
Blu Ray Drive: Lite-on 4x - $109 Street
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5970 - $699 Street
RAM: 3 CSX Diablo DDR 3 (2GB) - $150 list
Power Supply: Ultra X4 1050W ATX Power Supply - $280 list
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate - $220 direct

EDIT: forgot to mention that this is what I plan on upgrading to. Any thoughts?

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 7:04pm by WeedjediRedux


If you're not trolling, it's a great system.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1693 Oct 03 2010 at 5:39 PM Rating: Decent
KingKlops, master of ignorance wrote:
why on earth would you get a 980X? what are you doing? $760 SSD? what the ****?

please spend more than 2 days researching computer hardware and save yourself $2000. i'd say 80% of what you listed is a facepalm.

Every year, I go nuts on a computer. The SSD is mainly to hold Windows 7, and a few other monster sized programs my school gave me, to give me a faster boot time. Klops, spend more than two days researching what all this thread says, and maybe you'll know what I'm doing.

I'm not building a rig just for FFXIV, I'm building a rig to handle what I do on a day to day basis at my house. Which is basically attempt building my own games, seeing as how I'm in school to be a game designer, or computer programmer with an emphasis in games. I just wanted to see if there's anything more powerful than what I have listed atm.

And now that I think about it, I'll prolly do 6 cards of RAM.

bsphil wrote:
WeedjediRedux wrote:

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate

lol

Yeah your computer blows. I've taken sh*ts that can run FFXIV better with Ambient Occlusion on.


Hey man, don't be jealous. lol

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 7:42pm by WeedjediRedux
____________________________
I'm back, not to cause trouble. And anyone who knows the original Weedjedi.....please don't karma bomb me. Just saying.
I'm 20 now, more mature and less stupid. And the only reason I didn't use the original weedjedi is because I can't remember it's login details.
#1694 Oct 03 2010 at 5:41 PM Rating: Decent
Threx wrote:
WeedjediRedux wrote:
This:

Case: NZXT Tempest EVo - $100 Street
Motherboard: Asus P6T - $210 Street
Chip: Intel Core i7-980X - $999 List
HD (Spinning): Seagate Barracuda XT (2TB) - $300 Street
HD (SSD): Crucial Real SSD C300 (256 GB) - $759 Street
Blu Ray Drive: Lite-on 4x - $109 Street
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5970 - $699 Street
RAM: 3 CSX Diablo DDR 3 (2GB) - $150 list
Power Supply: Ultra X4 1050W ATX Power Supply - $280 list
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate - $220 direct

EDIT: forgot to mention that this is what I plan on upgrading to. Any thoughts?

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 7:04pm by WeedjediRedux


If you're not trolling, it's a great system.


No troll. My raise is about to hit, and bonus for getting a promotion. So, I figured, why wait till my Christmas bonus to build a new PC, I'll do it now.

Also, before you ask I work in a factory, and I do all my classes online.
____________________________
I'm back, not to cause trouble. And anyone who knows the original Weedjedi.....please don't karma bomb me. Just saying.
I'm 20 now, more mature and less stupid. And the only reason I didn't use the original weedjedi is because I can't remember it's login details.
#1695 Oct 03 2010 at 5:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
35 posts
shrug, it's your money.
____________________________
Yzoho 90 THF
Sylph
#1696 Oct 04 2010 at 6:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
WeedjediRedux wrote:
Threx wrote:
WeedjediRedux wrote:
This:

Case: NZXT Tempest EVo - $100 Street
Motherboard: Asus P6T - $210 Street
Chip: Intel Core i7-980X - $999 List
HD (Spinning): Seagate Barracuda XT (2TB) - $300 Street
HD (SSD): Crucial Real SSD C300 (256 GB) - $759 Street
Blu Ray Drive: Lite-on 4x - $109 Street
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5970 - $699 Street
RAM: 3 CSX Diablo DDR 3 (2GB) - $150 list
Power Supply: Ultra X4 1050W ATX Power Supply - $280 list
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate - $220 direct

EDIT: forgot to mention that this is what I plan on upgrading to. Any thoughts?

Edited, Oct 3rd 2010 7:04pm by WeedjediRedux


If you're not trolling, it's a great system.


No troll. My raise is about to hit, and bonus for getting a promotion. So, I figured, why wait till my Christmas bonus to build a new PC, I'll do it now.

Also, before you ask I work in a factory, and I do all my classes online.


If you really are looking for the best of the best don't get a 5970. For one, both a 5870 and GTX 480 run this game faster as dual/triple/quad gpu setups do not work well yet if ever for this game. If you are looking for the best of the best in all situations get 3x GTX 480s. Quad SLI was shown to actually get worse than tri in most cases, so I'd limit it to 3. And 3X 480s are faster in every way than the alternative of 3X 5870s if you get a monster enough case/psu/cooling to handle it. There are 2 brands that sell GTX 480s with huge double/triple fan coolers so that they run more like the temps of a 5870, albeit they take up 3 slots a piece so you'd have to buy a motherboard and case equipped to handle that kind of spacing. Just saying if you really want the best of the best, do that. (Well really there's water cooling etc that could be even faster, but if you're not into that kinda thing...)

If you are just looking to play this game well, switch out the 5970 for a single 5870 or gtx 480.

Otherwise, that computer will be able to take down anything you throw at it pretty well.

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 8:31am by haydyn323

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 8:33am by haydyn323

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 8:38am by haydyn323
#1697 Oct 04 2010 at 2:51 PM Rating: Decent
It looks like the i7-930 is actually the same price or cheaper than the i7-920. Is there any reason to go 920 over the 930 for overclocking or stability? I don't have a micro center near me to get the $200 deal on the 920 so I am looking at newegg or tigerdirect pricing.
#1698 Oct 04 2010 at 5:45 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
marcopoloofcaitsith wrote:
It looks like the i7-930 is actually the same price or cheaper than the i7-920. Is there any reason to go 920 over the 930 for overclocking or stability? I don't have a micro center near me to get the $200 deal on the 920 so I am looking at newegg or tigerdirect pricing.
The price difference between the 920, 930, and 950 are nearly nonexistent. 920 is already phased out on newegg. If you're looking for a i7-9xx there's really no reason to get lower than a 950.

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 6:46pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#1699 Oct 05 2010 at 12:18 PM Rating: Good
**
711 posts
bsphil wrote:
marcopoloofcaitsith wrote:
It looks like the i7-930 is actually the same price or cheaper than the i7-920. Is there any reason to go 920 over the 930 for overclocking or stability? I don't have a micro center near me to get the $200 deal on the 920 so I am looking at newegg or tigerdirect pricing.
The price difference between the 920, 930, and 950 are nearly nonexistent. 920 is already phased out on newegg. If you're looking for a i7-9xx there's really no reason to get lower than a 950.

Edited, Oct 4th 2010 6:46pm by bsphil


Unless you have a microcenter near to you, then you get the i7-930 for $199 instead of $289. Otherwise, go with the 950.
____________________________
春天不是讀書天,
夏日炎炎正好眠,
等到秋來冬又至,
收拾書包好過年。

#1700 Oct 06 2010 at 8:32 AM Rating: Decent
Firstly id like to apologise for my lack of knowledge of computers but i reall want to play this game, I'd be looking to upgrade this system. I dont mind about how high the settings are i just want to get it to run reasonably well. Heres my system.

Operating system - windows vista 32 bit

Processor- AMD Sempron 3600+ 2 GHz

Graphics - ATI Radeon X1200

Sound - Crative Audigy 4

Memory ( RAM ) - 1918 mb

I would apreciate if someone could look at this and tell me if i could run it at all, and if not what upgrades would be neccessary.

Thanks alot
Mikey
#1701 Oct 06 2010 at 9:16 AM Rating: Good
24 posts
you need a new rig from the bottom up
This thread is locked
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)