Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Computer Building GuideFollow

#1952 Dec 18 2010 at 11:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
Your best bet is to just buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 64-bit home premium which runs at $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754&cm_re=windows_7_oem_64_bit_home-_-32-116-754-_-Product

It would future-proof your computer better than an old 32 bit copy of Vista. If you have the money for it anyway.
#1953 Dec 18 2010 at 11:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
Elionara wrote:
The only bug I might see and I don't know if it's my computer or the game is when walking up/down hills the character bounces up and down like it's hitting geometry the wrong way.


This happens to everyone as far as I know. SE did not program the ground to be smooth in many areas and as such, in some areas while running, your character will rise and fall in a shakingly fast manner with the elevation of the ground. They could easily enough add some code to get rid of this. It would involve smoothing the elevation of characters while running over this variable terrain. In any case, it's not your hardware. My computer with a GTX 580 does it as well. My other computer with 9800 GTX+ SLI also does it.
#1954 Dec 18 2010 at 6:22 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
sorry, i might have missed it but what about laptops?? i would love some info on that pls.
#1955 Dec 19 2010 at 12:01 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
sopher025 wrote:
what about laptops?? i would love some info on that pls.


There's a bunch of info on it in this thread.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1956 Dec 19 2010 at 3:41 PM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a tablet laptop for painting and was wondering if any of those are powerful enough to run XIV in any format?

I know little about computers, but I want to stress that I merely would be happy to be able to play the game even if it's on the lowest of the low settings.

I have a desktop at home and that's what I mostly use to play but I can't play with my bf because of only one of us can use that machine at once.

The laptops I've found that have tablet qualities are:

http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/hp-touchsmart-tm2t

and

http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/fujitsu-lifebook-t4310

also if they aren't good enough to play XIV can they be upgraded in any way to make the game run at playable speeds?
If so please let me know what chunks I should buy along them.

Also if anyone has alternative tablet laptop suggestions please let me know about them.

Hp-touchsmart tm2 is really cheap so that's why it seems so enticing to me. (and it just looks pretty! I know this is what a non PC-person would say)

#1957 Dec 20 2010 at 8:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
seiferdincht wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a tablet laptop for painting and was wondering if any of those are powerful enough to run XIV in any format?

I know little about computers, but I want to stress that I merely would be happy to be able to play the game even if it's on the lowest of the low settings.

I have a desktop at home and that's what I mostly use to play but I can't play with my bf because of only one of us can use that machine at once.

The laptops I've found that have tablet qualities are:

http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/hp-touchsmart-tm2t

and

http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/fujitsu-lifebook-t4310

also if they aren't good enough to play XIV can they be upgraded in any way to make the game run at playable speeds?
If so please let me know what chunks I should buy along them.

Also if anyone has alternative tablet laptop suggestions please let me know about them.

Hp-touchsmart tm2 is really cheap so that's why it seems so enticing to me. (and it just looks pretty! I know this is what a non PC-person would say)



As far as I know there are no tablets yet capable of playing FFXIV in any form. Also, they are not upgradeable, so there is really no way to make them any better. My guess is that with everything turned down as far as the game will allow, you'd get between about 2 and 12 frames per second (painfully jumpy) depending on where in the game you were and how many other players and npcs were around you. It would also be nearly unrecognizable to look at with everything turned down so far.

As a test to see if you can stand it, set everything in config of your normal computer to absolute lowest and uncheck all options. Go into the game and uncheck all the in game options as well then try walking around while picturing it running instead of 60fps at 10fps.
#1958 Dec 21 2010 at 1:28 AM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
haydyn323 wrote:
seiferdincht wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a tablet laptop for painting and was wondering if any of those are powerful enough to run XIV in any format?

I know little about computers, but I want to stress that I merely would be happy to be able to play the game even if it's on the lowest of the low settings.

I have a desktop at home and that's what I mostly use to play but I can't play with my bf because of only one of us can use that machine at once.

The laptops I've found that have tablet qualities are:

http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/hp-touchsmart-tm2t

and

http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/fujitsu-lifebook-t4310

also if they aren't good enough to play XIV can they be upgraded in any way to make the game run at playable speeds?
If so please let me know what chunks I should buy along them.

Also if anyone has alternative tablet laptop suggestions please let me know about them.

Hp-touchsmart tm2 is really cheap so that's why it seems so enticing to me. (and it just looks pretty! I know this is what a non PC-person would say)



As far as I know there are no tablets yet capable of playing FFXIV in any form. Also, they are not upgradeable, so there is really no way to make them any better. My guess is that with everything turned down as far as the game will allow, you'd get between about 2 and 12 frames per second (painfully jumpy) depending on where in the game you were and how many other players and npcs were around you. It would also be nearly unrecognizable to look at with everything turned down so far.

As a test to see if you can stand it, set everything in config of your normal computer to absolute lowest and uncheck all options. Go into the game and uncheck all the in game options as well then try walking around while picturing it running instead of 60fps at 10fps.



Thank you for the reply. That is really disappointing to hear.

I don't know if I should buy it yet or wait if more powerful tablet pcs to be released. I haven't heard even any announcements so I probably just have to leave thoughts of playing with my bf at the same time. =(

Overall to me the tablet aspect trumps all else even though it means I have to buy that feature attached to a low-end machine.
#1959 Dec 21 2010 at 5:03 AM Rating: Decent
4 posts
Hy everyone, i currently have a nvidia 9600 gs in my computer, and i wanted to update it spending between 150/200 $, what do you recomend?
Thank You all
#1960 Dec 21 2010 at 7:05 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
ldiogo wrote:
Hy everyone, i currently have a nvidia 9600 gs in my computer, and i wanted to update it spending between 150/200 $, what do you recomend?
Thank You all


Hiya Diogo~ first we need to know what kind of CPU do u have ? because it will effect greatly on your game play if u don't choose the right CPU for the right GPU ,,,

CPU must be rly good if u want to buy a good Graphic Card .

otherwise u will get a bottleneck >> which means cpu limits ur graphic card performance~


:)
____________________________




#1961 Dec 21 2010 at 8:09 AM Rating: Decent
4 posts
oh sorry, i have a Amd Phenom 9650 quad-core 2,3Ghz, 4Gb ram, and the graphic card is actualy a Nvidia Gforce 9600 Gs, i was thinking on buying a Nvidia GTX 460 what do you think?
Thank You :D
#1962 Dec 21 2010 at 8:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
ldiogo wrote:
oh sorry, i have a Amd Phenom 9650 quad-core 2,3Ghz, 4Gb ram, and the graphic card is actualy a Nvidia Gforce 9600 Gs, i was thinking on buying a Nvidia GTX 460 what do you think?
Thank You :D


A GTX 460 1GB would make a significant difference. That said, it will leave your CPU as the new speed bottleneck. You will still see a major increase over what you currently have though.
#1963 Dec 21 2010 at 8:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
What's your power supply wattage? And does it have the two 6-pin connectors you'll need?

If your PSU is below 450W, I wouldn't even try putting in a GTX 460. And if you don't have the connectors, you're also gonna need a new PSU.

Edited, Dec 21st 2010 8:27am by Threx
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1964 Dec 21 2010 at 8:32 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
yeah the psu meet the requirements, thank you guys :D
#1965 Dec 23 2010 at 6:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
246 posts
I am currently looking to upgrade my video card. I am wanting to get the best bang for buck (with a substantial budget) and would like opinions on whether it is best to get an ATI 6970 for about $350 or if it is more worthwhile to buy 2x ATI 6870's for about $500 combined, or are the gains not significant enough and should I just go conservatively and get one 6870 only? I've been running an ATI 4970 and it handles FFXIV at moderate settings, but I think now is the time to upgrade.

Current setup:
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard
Intel i7 Core 920 OC'd
Corsair 850W PSU
Corsair Dominator 6GB (PC3 12800)
WD Caviar Black 1Tb HD
#1966 Dec 23 2010 at 9:32 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
LordMethos wrote:
I am currently looking to upgrade my video card. I am wanting to get the best bang for buck (with a substantial budget) and would like opinions on whether it is best to get an ATI 6970 for about $350 or if it is more worthwhile to buy 2x ATI 6870's for about $500 combined, or are the gains not significant enough and should I just go conservatively and get one 6870 only? I've been running an ATI 4970 and it handles FFXIV at moderate settings, but I think now is the time to upgrade.

Current setup:
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard
Intel i7 Core 920 OC'd
Corsair 850W PSU
Corsair Dominator 6GB (PC3 12800)
WD Caviar Black 1Tb HD
Flagship cards never really represent bang for the buck. You really don't need two 6870's but that certainly would help a bunch to crank out the higher settings at a more reliable framerate.

Edited, Dec 23rd 2010 9:32pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#1967 Dec 24 2010 at 12:08 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Best "bang for the buck" would be a GTX 460.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1968 Dec 27 2010 at 7:05 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
So would you suggest the 1GB NVIDIA Geforce 460 over the 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770 ? I am building my desktop off the HP website and just want to make sure I am getting the better of the two. I am also getting the Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-930 quad-core which I am assuming is more than sufficient.
#1969 Dec 28 2010 at 3:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
giants2189 wrote:
So would you suggest the 1GB NVIDIA Geforce 460 over the 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770 ? I am also getting the Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-930 quad-core which I am assuming is more than sufficient.


Yes, and yes. :)
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1970 Dec 28 2010 at 3:40 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
giants2189 wrote:
So would you suggest the 1GB NVIDIA Geforce 460 over the 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770 ? I am building my desktop off the HP website and just want to make sure I am getting the better of the two. I am also getting the Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-930 quad-core which I am assuming is more than sufficient.

With that CPU and the low prices of 1GB GTX 460's right now, I'd try to get another GTX 460 for SLI... maybe even two more for Tri-SLI.
#1971 Dec 29 2010 at 3:05 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
What would you guys say the difference would be between the Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-930 quad-core and the AMD Phenom™ II six-core processor 1045T? I found another computer with a gig les RAM and 500 gig less hard drive space with the same graphics card for about $350 less with the 1045T. So, do you think the i7 is worth the extra $350, or would the difference not be so noticeable? On the benchmark chart linked on the first page, obviously the i7 is higher, but the 1045T seemed like it was still above average.
#1972 Dec 29 2010 at 10:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
The 1045T is completely fine if you're looking to save some money. The video card seems to impact FFXIV's performance much more than the CPU.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1973 Dec 30 2010 at 4:22 AM Rating: Good
Hmm... so, I've currently got an E8400 CPU and with the OC and current equipment my system pretty much runs fine... Now, the thing is, I want to probably upgrade both the motherboard and CPU to probably an i5 Core Processor, might this possibly be worth the upgrade? For these two I'm trying to look at a 350-400 dollar budget. I've got a 1440x900 monitor now, but am considering just kicking it up to a 1600x1080 monitor since I already have one. I use it as a television (It IS actually a PC monitor, it's just one of the types that has a built-in TV tuner. Samsung 2333HD if it matters.) but seeing as I never actually watch TV anymore I'm think I may as well convert it into an actual PC monitor instead. Now my existing equipment:

Win 7 x64 Home Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 OC'd to 3.6Ghz
BIOSTAR motherboard (I forget the name, but uses the standard LGA667 processors. It's full AXT and my PC case has plenty of space left in it still.)
4GB DDR3 1333 RAM (2x2GB sticks)
ASUS Radeon 5770 (Single card, have no support for CrossFire on my current setup.)
450W Power Supply (Think it's a 500W, I'd have to check again.)

What I'm just looking at right now is upping the motherboard and CPU, I'd skip motherboard but for any newer processors I need a better motherboard. Having CrossFire or SLI support is not the least of my concerns at all, and while I want support for legacy devices (IDE) I can probably do without just by throwing in a new DVD drive and transferring everything off the 40GB IDE HDD I use as storage currently. Power Supply should suffice for my current uses as well (I don't have alot of power-hungry devices in my PC.) unless I plan on buying a secondary card down the line. Either way the power supply will be replaced at a later date, but right now I just want to upgrade my CPU and motherboard... Think an i5 will work? Or should I look into an AMD instead? I know next to nothing about AMDs however so I would need help choosing one that's sufficient enough for the price and would give the increase of an i5 or better. Thanks.

EDIT: I'm also kind of looking at being a cheap *** and found this: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX. Seems pretty cheap and reading some info on it, appears to be an amazing OC'er too. I won't be doing the upgrade for another 2 months so I still got time to do a little research.


Edited, Dec 30th 2010 2:47am by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#1974 Dec 30 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Just get this combo. Great performance for the price and nowhere near your budget. Save some cash. ;)

The CPU is one notch better than the one you linked to. The motherboard...I wanted to get that exact one, and I would have if it weren't for the fact that it isn't sold in my country. =/ It's one of the rare motherboards that support AMD CPUs + nVidia SLI (although you probably won't have any use for the SLI support, but that's besides the point :P).



Edited, Dec 30th 2010 1:29pm by Threx
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1975 Jan 01 2011 at 7:54 PM Rating: Good
Threx wrote:
Just get this combo. Great performance for the price and nowhere near your budget. Save some cash. ;)

The CPU is one notch better than the one you linked to. The motherboard...I wanted to get that exact one, and I would have if it weren't for the fact that it isn't sold in my country. =/ It's one of the rare motherboards that support AMD CPUs + nVidia SLI (although you probably won't have any use for the SLI support, but that's besides the point :P).



Edited, Dec 30th 2010 1:29pm by Threx


Thanks for the tip. I've always used Intel CPUs so I know nothing about AMD ones. But seeing as AMD is cheaper (Not sure why.) I think I'll be going with that instead. As for nVIDIA SLI support that really isn't a concern to me, neither is having CrossFire support. Currently I'm only using ATI due to the price differences and since my card is good enough as it is, I may take a look into getting a second one if only to do CrossFire. Overall it depends on the performance I get after upgrading.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#1976 Jan 05 2011 at 5:57 AM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/asus-eee-slate-ep121-officially-unveiled-ips-display-core-i5-a/


How about that one?
Would it run XIV? (it's probably possible to connect usb keyboard and a mouse to it)
I can't see what video cards are compatible in the details there.

Anyone with some knowledge?
#1977 Jan 09 2011 at 7:25 AM Rating: Good
*
227 posts
Considering getting this, just want to know it it will work well with the game:

Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7 870 Processor (4x 2.93GHz/8MB L3 Cache)-
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - 1GB - PALIT Sonic Platinum - Core: 800MHz-Single Card
Motherboard 1 x ASUS P7P55 LX-
Motherboard USB / SATA Interface 1 x Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface-
Power Supply 1 x 1000 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-1000HX-
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s-Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black
Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard-
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)-

THanks in advance for the help

____________________________
Remember: Some Times the Dragon Wins.



#1978 Jan 09 2011 at 12:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts

It will work fine. The power supply is overkill though, a 650W would be more than enough for that system.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1979 Jan 09 2011 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
*
227 posts
Threx wrote:

It will work fine. The power supply is overkill though, a 650W would be more than enough for that system.




Okay, when I was doing the selecting that is what they "recommended", but I can lower it.
____________________________
Remember: Some Times the Dragon Wins.



#1980 Jan 09 2011 at 2:26 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
172 posts
Thornpaw wrote:
Threx wrote:

It will work fine. The power supply is overkill though, a 650W would be more than enough for that system.




Okay, when I was doing the selecting that is what they "recommended", but I can lower it.



Leave the power supply as recommended, always good to have "headroom". Running what will "just" run the computer is not enough.
____________________________


http://theforsakenlink.com

5040 X 1050 with Matrox Triple Head 2 Go
480 in SLI
I-7 950 OC 3.68 Ghz, 12 GB DDR3 1600
1000w PSU
#1981 Jan 09 2011 at 8:41 PM Rating: Good
*
227 posts
River75 wrote:
Thornpaw wrote:
Threx wrote:

It will work fine. The power supply is overkill though, a 650W would be more than enough for that system.




Okay, when I was doing the selecting that is what they "recommended", but I can lower it.



Leave the power supply as recommended, always good to have "headroom". Running what will "just" run the computer is not enough.


The thing is their sidebar said 650W would run the system just fine, but the 1000W power supply was highlighted. End the end went with 750W. Unfortunately, had to get the final price under a certain amount and the 1000W power supply would not allow that.
____________________________
Remember: Some Times the Dragon Wins.



#1982 Jan 10 2011 at 1:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Thornpaw wrote:
Threx wrote:

It will work fine. The power supply is overkill though, a 650W would be more than enough for that system.




Okay, when I was doing the selecting that is what they "recommended", but I can lower it.


Of course they would say something that is more than you need is recommended. It's their job to upsell you. :P


River75 wrote:

Leave the power supply as recommended, always good to have "headroom". Running what will "just" run the computer is not enough.


A 650W power supply already has 200W "headroom" for a system with a GTX 460. A 1000W PSU is outright overkill and upselling.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1983 Jan 12 2011 at 10:36 AM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
geekbox.com is the answer!
#1984 Jan 12 2011 at 11:12 AM Rating: Decent
5 posts
My Current PC Specs are..
Processer: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E630 @2.80GHZ (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHZ
Memory: 2048MB RAM (2GB)
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate
Graphic's card: NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600 GT, total memory 1267 MB
Direct X: 11

Would this be good to run FF14? or not :S im not good with spec stuff.. my pc is custom built...
#1985 Jan 13 2011 at 3:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
nadimeLCie wrote:
My Current PC Specs are..
Processer: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E630 @2.80GHZ (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHZ
Memory: 2048MB RAM (2GB)
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate
Graphic's card: NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600 GT, total memory 1267 MB
Direct X: 11

Would this be good to run FF14? or not :S im not good with spec stuff.. my pc is custom built...


Unfortunately, no. =/

The CPU -might- be able to barely run the game, but the video card likely won't.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1986 Jan 13 2011 at 5:46 PM Rating: Decent
6 posts
I'm going to be building a cpu in the next few weeks so I can finaly get started on ffxiv
that and listening to music is pretty much all ill use this cpu for so i dont need to overdose this thing just need some help/opinons.

So I spent a while thinking wether to get the phenom ii x6 3.0 ghz for 199 or
the phenom ii x4 3.2ghz for 144. I figured the x4 3.2 will do just fine and help keeping costs low
my real question is with a budget of about 500bucks, what mother board an vcard should i get with this processor, ill only be spending about 80 bucks on 4gb of memory and a HD and dvd-rw, i got a hook up on that. so thats like $230 total so far, id like a nice vcard since i heard ffxiv relys more on the vcard than the processor, and im not to sure about a motherboard, i figure after that itll be smooth sailing.
#1987 Jan 14 2011 at 5:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
So you have a budget of about $250-280 left for your motherboard and video card combo?

$160 video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261088&cm_re=gtx_460_1gb-_-14-261-088-_-Product

$95 mother board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131660

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1988 Jan 18 2011 at 5:24 AM Rating: Good
*
227 posts
Okay, my new computer should be here in a few days... just how do I move all the data from the game from my current computer to the new one? Or do I Just have to redo the downloads again?
____________________________
Remember: Some Times the Dragon Wins.



#1989 Jan 19 2011 at 6:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts

You might have to do the download again since the patch files are automatically deleted after patching the game.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#1990 Jan 20 2011 at 6:42 AM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
I'm considering buying this:

Eee Slate EP121

* 12.1" WSVGA (1280x800) Capacitive LED Touchscreen; Pen or Finger Touch; Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System
* Intel Core i5-470UM CPU; 2GB of DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM, 1x2GB; 1 slot, 4GB Max; Intel HD Graphics
* 32GB Solid State Drive; Wireless 802.11bgn; Bluetooth 3.0; 2.0MP Webcam; Internal Speaker; Internal Microphone
* Mini HDMI Port; 2 USB 2.0 ports; 2-in-1 Card Reader (SD & MMC); 4 Cell 34W/h Battery (Up to 3 Hours Battery Life)
* Includes Digitizer Pen; Folio Case; Bluetooth Keyboard

Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

* Hardware Platform: PC
* Processor: 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
* Number of Processors: 2
* RAM: 2000 MB
* RAM Type: SDRAM
* Memory Slots: 1

Hard Drive

* Size: 32 GB
* Manufacturer: SSD
* Type: Serial ATA

Ports and Connectivity

* USB Ports: 2


Do you think it would be able to run XIV with all setting scaled to 0?
The tablet feature is really important to me and thus I can't look at other laptop alternatives.
#1991 Jan 20 2011 at 8:01 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
Unfortunately, no, I don't think it will be playable even scaled as far down as it'll go.
#1992 Jan 24 2011 at 1:30 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
seiferdincht wrote:
I'm considering buying this:

Eee
Stopped reading there. This purchase is a mistake no matter how you slice it.

EDIT: I'll be nice and elaborate actually. This is why you will never be able to run FFXIV:
Quote:
Intel HD Graphics



Edited, Jan 24th 2011 1:32pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#1993 Jan 25 2011 at 6:06 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
225 posts
Anyone with a laptop running the nvidia 485 in sli? I found a beast of a desktop replacement, was just curious how the 485s in sli are handling FFXIV?

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/709042/MALIBAL-Nine-X7200-Gaming-Laptop-Tech-Review.html

All versions of cpus are desktop cpus. Every review I have seen on this laptop are saying no laptop is comparable, it's twice as fast as anything new and current laptop wise.

I should note that this machine comes with usb 3.0, basically its a desktop with an lcd screen attached.
____________________________


#1994 Jan 25 2011 at 8:02 AM Rating: Decent
*
79 posts
Quote:

I should note that this machine comes with usb 3.0, basically its a desktop with an lcd screen attached.


then get a desktop that will cost half the price for the same performance or much better performance for a similar price.

its massive that laptop isnt very portable and a battery life of about 5 mins when gaming
____________________________


#1995 Jan 25 2011 at 8:19 AM Rating: Decent
3 posts
So i've been playing this game for about a month now and thought my new build would be able to run this game at max settings without issues. Boy was I wrong, though the game does run, it is def. not smooth. I can feel the frame rate drop dramatically at full specs. On the benchmark I score about 44-4500 on high settings which says I should be able to run the game fairly easily on high settings. Has anyone been able to run this @ maxed out specs on the highest res?

My current setup
Big Bang Xpower motherboard
intel core i7 950 - stock clock
Corsair Dominator 8 gigs worth @ stock rates
XFX 6970 - latest ATI card...
Western Digital Velociraptor 300gig hd
Corsair HX850 power supply



Edited, Jan 25th 2011 9:20am by mrpeeng
#1996 Jan 25 2011 at 9:10 AM Rating: Decent
*
79 posts
my settings everything on high, NO AA, DoF off, AO off @ 1920x1080

frames are 40-60FPS depending where i am.

PC:

i7 920 @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte X58-UD5
6GB of DDR3 1600mhz @ 8-8-8-20-1T
Samsung F1 1TB
ATI 1GB 4870


side note @ mrpeeng - socket 1366 with triple channel controller and your using 8GB forcing it to use dual channel why ?

____________________________


#1997 Jan 25 2011 at 9:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
225 posts
BlackstarrStrife wrote:
Quote:

I should note that this machine comes with usb 3.0, basically its a desktop with an lcd screen attached.


then get a desktop that will cost half the price for the same performance or much better performance for a similar price.

its massive that laptop isnt very portable and a battery life of about 5 mins when gaming


I don't want a desktop, it don't fit on a laptop cart. Outside of staying at a hotel every bluemoon, laptop stays home.

The reviews on tom's hardware had to do a make shift desktop to test to compete with it. A desktop is too big to bulky to move from one state to another (the cost of shipping is nuts), something I do every 4 years. A desktop doesn't fit my lifestyle, so the subject is not up for debate, and has nothing to do with my question.


____________________________


#1998 Jan 25 2011 at 10:50 AM Rating: Decent
3 posts
BlackstarrStrife wrote:
my settings everything on high, NO AA, DoF off, AO off @ 1920x1080

frames are 40-60FPS depending where i am.

PC:

i7 920 @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte X58-UD5
6GB of DDR3 1600mhz @ 8-8-8-20-1T
Samsung F1 1TB
ATI 1GB 4870


side note @ mrpeeng - socket 1366 with triple channel controller and your using 8GB forcing it to use dual channel why ?



Could that be it? I would have went 12gb if they were selling the single 4 gb or had the 12 gb as a package but @ the time they only had the 8 gb package. I guess i'll pick up another one. Is there a command line for displaying the fps in ff?
#1999 Jan 25 2011 at 2:18 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
mrpeeng wrote:
Is there a command line for displaying the fps in ff?

Download FRAPS.
#2000 Jan 25 2011 at 3:30 PM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
Hey there! I'm looking forward to configuring a gaming PC from geekbox.com. The process is easy but I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to choosing parts. Obviously the more expensive parts the better, but I just wanna get what is good enough to run FF14 smoothly. I'll post the options in the bottom that I need help with.

Power Supply:
-Corsair 650 Watt TX Power Supply
-Corsair 650 Watt TX Power Supply
-Corsair 1000 Watt HX Power Supply

Processor (CPU):
-Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 Quad-Core Processor
-Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
-Intel Core i7-875K Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 Quad-Core Unlocked Processor

Memory (RAM):
-4 GB (2x2048MB) Mushkin PC3 12800 7-8-7-24
-4 GB (2x2048MB) Mushkin REDLINE PC3 12800 6-8-6-24
-8 GB (4x2GB) Mushkin PC3 12800 7-8-7-24

Video Card:

-Nvidia Based EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB (Fermi)
-Nvidia Based EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB (Fermi)
-Nvidia Based EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536 MB (Fermi)

Optical Drive:

-LG Electronics 22x DVDRW +/- Dual Layer
-LG Electronics 10X BD-R, 2x BD-RE

Sound Card:

-8-Channel Audio
-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series 7.1 Channel

Network Interface Card: Is it necessary to get this?

External HD:
-External Western Digital 500 GB Hard Drive (ESATA/USB2.0)
-External Western Digital 1 TB Hard Drive (ESATA/USB2.0)
-External Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB Hard Drive (ESATA/USB2.0)

Also, are multiple hard drives and and optical drives necessary? Thank you again for your help!




Edited, Jan 25th 2011 4:32pm by VitaminD2112
#2001 Jan 25 2011 at 4:03 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
VitaminD2112 wrote:
Hey there! I'm looking forward to configuring a gaming PC from geekbox.com. The process is easy but I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to choosing parts. Obviously the more expensive parts the better, but I just wanna get what is good enough to run FF14 smoothly. I'll post the options in the bottom that I need help with.


Power Supply:
-Corsair 650 Watt TX Power Supply

Processor (CPU):
-Intel Core i7-875K Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 Quad-Core Unlocked Processor

Memory (RAM):
-8 GB (4x2GB) G.Skill PC3 12800 7-8-7-24

Video Card:
-Nvidia Based EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536 MB (Fermi)

Optical Drive:
-Whatever you think you'll need.

Sound Card:
-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series 7.1 Channel

Network Interface Card: Not necessary. Motherboards come with it.

Internal HD:
-Western Digital 240 GB Solid State Drive (ESATA/USB2.0)
-Western Digital 1 TB Hard Drive (ESATA/USB2.0)

Also, are multiple hard drives and and optical drives necessary? Thank you again for your help!
-It's necessary if you want peak gaming performance. You generally don't want your games on the
same drive as all the junk you download/install. It bogs down your gaming and load times. If you
can afford it, you should get a Solid State Drive (SSD). They're the fastest, and you could make
it strictly for system files and games, while another 1 or 2 TB HDD stores the rest of your files.


Edited, Jan 25th 2011 5:04pm by SoumaKyou
This thread is locked
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)