Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Checking to see how well this PC will work for XIVFollow

#52 Jul 05 2010 at 7:23 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
xthunderblazex wrote:
If you previously bought a OEM version, they're locked to your motherboard, if you bought a full version, there is usually a limit to the number of computers you can have it installed on, and if you're building a new pc, you probably want windows 7, and haven't had it before.

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 2:28pm by xthunderblazex


If you already have an OS, even if it is OEM, you can usually make it work on a new system. I will, however, say that you're right about the Windows 7 part. OEM Windows 7 Home Premium is $94; that's the cheapest you're going to find an OS. I would very very strongly advise against starter/basic. Get at least home premium (I personally prefer pro and some prefer ultimate though).

Honestly, replacing the guts of your system is as good a time as any to upgrade your OS (I bought 7x64 Pro to upgrade from XP when I bought my parts; cost me an extra $140ish and brought my total bill to about $750 for PSU/CPU/MB/RAM/GPU/OS) but if you have to shave off $100, I suppose you'll live with XP or Vista.

There are... other options... but we won't talk about them.

In short, if Windows fails to activate after installing a new motherboard, you can usually call them and tell them you replaced the motherboard and processor (I would avoid mentioning the rest of what you replaced) and that Windows is only installed on ONE system, and you'll get an override code. I have had to call them maybe a dozen or so times regarding other peoples' systems (only once regarding my own) and I have never not had them give me a code when I said specifically that "This copy of Windows has only ever been installed on this one and only one system" and "I upgraded the motherboard and processor and decided to go ahead and reinstall Windows while I was at it."
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#53 Jul 05 2010 at 7:28 PM Rating: Decent
**
322 posts
Ahh thank you, didn't realize you could call them.

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 9:29pm by xthunderblazex
#54 Jul 05 2010 at 7:29 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
MisterRandy wrote:
Just a note also, do you guys recommend NewEgg for buying pieces ?

If I was to buld the computer myself I'd like to know if anybody has good or bad experiences with them.


I've had nothing but good experiences with them. The only place I liked better was MonarchComputers because if you bought a MB and CPU together, they would offer to test them together (as well as any RAM/GPU/PSU/etc you were buying), and would apply thermal paste and heatsink/CPU fan, for $25, that way you knew you weren't going to get any DOA parts, and that if there were any incompatibilities, they would let you know before shipping your products. They were my favorite place to buy from, but apparently there was a huge mess where their support started going way downhill, they didn't pay their taxes, and the last I saw was a picture of their main warehouse in Florida with a sign taped to the inside of the door saying something about their assets having been seized by the government.

I've shopped Newegg ever since and never had any complaints that were their fault.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#55 Jul 05 2010 at 7:29 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
If you already have an OS, even if it is OEM, you can usually make it work on a new system. I will, however, say that you're right about the Windows 7 part. OEM Windows 7 Home Premium is $94; that's the cheapest you're going to find an OS. I would very very strongly advise against starter/basic. Get at least home premium (I personally prefer pro and some prefer ultimate though).



What is the difference between all the versions, anyway? I stopped keeping track with XP Pro/Home.
#56 Jul 05 2010 at 7:33 PM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
#57 Jul 05 2010 at 7:39 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Quote:
If you already have an OS, even if it is OEM, you can usually make it work on a new system. I will, however, say that you're right about the Windows 7 part. OEM Windows 7 Home Premium is $94; that's the cheapest you're going to find an OS. I would very very strongly advise against starter/basic. Get at least home premium (I personally prefer pro and some prefer ultimate though).



What is the difference between all the versions, anyway? I stopped keeping track with XP Pro/Home.


Off the top of my head...

Starter is only available in 32-bit.

Home Basic only supports 8 GB RAM Max (in 64-bit; all 32-bit versions are 4 GB max). It does not support Aero, Windows Media Center, or a number of other things.

Home Premium adds in full Aero and WMC support.

Professional adds EFS, Group Policies, ability to join domains, network backups, and the ability to host RDC (Home versions can only be RDC clients), as well as advanced file sharing and security options (Administrative shares, better user and group management, etc). It also has a Windows XP virtual machine option.

Ultimate adds Applocker, Bitlocker, multilanguage support, and some added terminal features (like Aero and audio over terminal services). Admittedly I don't know what Applocker or Bitlocker are, I just know that Ultimate has them.

Enterprise is pretty much the same as Ultimate, with some minor differences (like games disabled by default, same as Pro) that make it more "Business oriented".

I swear by XP Pro and 7 Pro; I can't live without the sharing and security options and I like all of my systems on my home network (5 computers total) to be able to RDC into. I can use logmein from anywhere, but RDC is much nicer if I can use that instead. Sharing from a Pro system to a Pro system and setting up network drives seems to play much more nicely for me than home versions, but for your average user who has no idea what the **** I just said, Home Premium would be my recommended OS.

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 9:41pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#58 Jul 05 2010 at 7:42 PM Rating: Default
**
322 posts
Bitlocker is ghetto encryption for people to think they're safe with.

I personally encrypt my hard drive with Truecrypt, no backdoors with that, unlike with bitlocker.
#59 Jul 05 2010 at 9:11 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
I understand that a quad-core processor is preferable if I'm really looking to get a smooth performance out of my rig when running FFXIV, but in the case that I absolutely can not afford it (can't afford to upgrade my motherboard, CPU, and video card), I'll have to stick with my AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0ghz dual-core). If I were to upgrade my video card from a 8800GT to something like a Radeon 5850, do you think I might have a shot at achieving medium settings in FFXIV? I'd only be playing on 1680x1050 resolution, um, if that makes any difference.


AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0ghz dual-core)
ATI Radeon 5850
6gb DDR2 RAM
600w PSU

500gb HDD (2 x 250gb)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


Basically, I was hoping that 6gb of RAM and a stellar video card could "pick up the slack" of a mediocre processor. Is that not possible? Thanks in advance for any input...whether I like what I hear or not, lol.



Edited, Jul 5th 2010 11:16pm by Scrims
#60 Jul 05 2010 at 9:31 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Scrims wrote:
I understand that a quad-core processor is preferable if I'm really looking to get a smooth performance out of my rig when running FFXIV, but in the case that I absolutely can not afford it (can't afford to upgrade my motherboard, CPU, and video card), I'll have to stick with my AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0ghz dual-core). If I were to upgrade my video card from a 8800GT to something like a Radeon 5850, do you think I might have a shot at achieving medium settings in FFXIV? I'd only be playing on 1680x1050 resolution, um, if that makes any difference.


AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0ghz dual-core)
ATI Radeon 5850
6gb DDR2 RAM
600w PSU

500gb HDD (2 x 250gb)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


Basically, I was hoping that 6gb of RAM and a stellar video card could "pick up the slack" of a mediocre processor. Is that not possible? Thanks in advance for any input...whether I like what I hear or not, lol.


I'm not noticing much of a difference in terms of performance between 4 GB systems and 6/8 GB systems. You say you're [planning to try to] play on 1680x1050, but with such a rig (Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and a 5850) I would say that on 1280x720 (16:9), my guess is that you will probably get low performance. Possibly higher than minimal, but almost certainly not medium. If I had to guess, I'd say that the benchmark would spit out a 2000ish on low.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#61 Jul 05 2010 at 9:49 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
2000ish, ewww. I already scored a 2200 on low with the 8800GT, but I guess a 5850 wouldn't make much of a difference after all? Thanks for the input, Mikhalia. Maybe I'll just go ahead and upgrade the video card, fire up the beta (if I get to try it), and see how it's performing.

I'll probably just have to nut up and get a new rig, but I'll at least have a head start in the video card department if that turns out to be the case.
#62 Jul 05 2010 at 10:01 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Scrims wrote:
2000ish, ewww. I already scored a 2200 on low with the 8800GT, but I guess a 5850 wouldn't make much of a difference after all? Thanks for the input, Mikhalia. Maybe I'll just go ahead and upgrade the video card, fire up the beta (if I get to try it), and see how it's performing.

I'll probably just have to nut up and get a new rig, but I'll at least have a head start in the video card department if that turns out to be the case.


Between video and CPU, if either is too low, it will hold back the other. Your processor is maybe a hair above the minimum requirements which is why I expect the system to not perform spectacularly.

I'm running a quad core and a 5770 and got a 4000 on 720p.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#63 Jul 05 2010 at 10:13 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
no need to buy everything all at once, find a computer with a good processor and crappy video card, and save up you got over 2 months to upgrade it.

might want to check out some computers on here you can customize http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
#64 Jul 06 2010 at 1:36 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
23 posts
MisterRandy wrote:
Just a note also, do you guys recommend NewEgg for buying pieces ?

If I was to buld the computer myself I'd like to know if anybody has good or bad experiences with them.

If anecdotal evidence counts for anything, I've never had a bad experience with them, nor have I ever spoken with someone who has had a bad experience with them.

I personally feel that going with NewEgg is a fairly safe bet.
#65 Jul 06 2010 at 1:58 AM Rating: Good
Aarre wrote:
MisterRandy wrote:
Just a note also, do you guys recommend NewEgg for buying pieces ?

If I was to buld the computer myself I'd like to know if anybody has good or bad experiences with them.

If anecdotal evidence counts for anything, I've never had a bad experience with them, nor have I ever spoken with someone who has had a bad experience with them.

I personally feel that going with NewEgg is a fairly safe bet.


I've been shopping NewEgg for years and can vouch for them. Solid company. They used to be Egghead.com/retail stores, if anybody remembers those.
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)