Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

I really wish we knewFollow

#1 Jul 02 2010 at 12:32 PM Rating: Decent
20 posts
I really wish we knew if this game will have controls like the newer mmo's standard keyboard and mouse controls. I want to pre order it but i couldnt stand ffix controls. Is the reason i did not play it, i just couldnt get used to the controls. So id really like to know what final fantasy xiv control system is like asap so i can pre order or not.
#2 Jul 02 2010 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,522 posts
For other requirements the website lists keyboard, mouse and gamepad. With a footnote saying that gamepad is not required. Therefore, it's probably safe to assume that you need a mouse.
#3 Jul 02 2010 at 1:02 PM Rating: Default
20 posts
hmm so i guess maybe you will be able to play like a regular mmo, im getting conflicting reports..some people say it will be like the old one, so im not sure what to believe. I wish someone could respond with first hand experience so i dont have to guess. I really want to pre-order but i dont want to take the chance if the controls are not like most mmo's. I know lots may prefer the old controls but i dont like it.
#4 Jul 02 2010 at 1:21 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
372 posts
Other way around for me, I find the 'standard' mmo control type a bit irritating. But I'm sure that FFXIV will have a way for you to custom your own interface. Most modern MMOs have that feature, its safe to assume FFXIV will, if not, there's really no excuse.
#5 Jul 02 2010 at 1:21 PM Rating: Excellent
**
362 posts
FFXI's controls weren't like the EO/WoW standard, but they weren't that far off of most MMOs. Either way, I'm all about player preferences, so if you didn't like them, I understand. All the more reason any new MMO needs full keymapping and controller support, so people can set the game up to play the way they are comfortable.
____________________________
"Unfortunately many game companies are learning that if they can just keep you busy, you might not realize how bored you are." - Kachi
"Pride in your character will amount to nothing more than the level of intimacy I have when I order a burger from McDonald's" - Warfox07
"I find comfort food always helps when I feel like killing myself." - Papashan (FFXIV)
#6 Jul 02 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Good
deathrament wrote:
I really wish we knew if this game will have controls like the newer mmo's standard keyboard and mouse controls. I want to pre order it but i couldnt stand ffix controls. Is the reason i did not play it, i just couldnt get used to the controls. So id really like to know what final fantasy xiv control system is like asap so i can pre order or not.


XI's controls did take a while to get used to. That you quit over it is more a lack of patience than a fault of the controls, I'd have to say. You get used to them just as you get used to anything different that you need to adapt to.

After years of playing XI, when I started EQ2 I actually changed the camera/movement controls to mirror that of XI as much as possible. You just get used to it.
#7 Jul 02 2010 at 2:10 PM Rating: Decent
20 posts
ya i guess i might get used to it eventually, but one one my hands is messed up a bit, and ive grown use to the standard mmo controls. I dont use numbers on my keyboard or nothing just my movement keys and mouse for clicking all my abilities. It works well for me. Controller as well is a bit awkward for me. So im really trying to find out if i can play like i do in all other mmo's i play/played.
#8 Jul 02 2010 at 2:33 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
deathrament wrote:
I really wish we knew if this game will have controls like the newer mmo's standard keyboard and mouse controls. I want to pre order it but i couldnt stand ffix controls. Is the reason i did not play it, i just couldnt get used to the controls. So id really like to know what final fantasy xiv control system is like asap so i can pre order or not.


XI's controls did take a while to get used to. That you quit over it is more a lack of patience than a fault of the controls, I'd have to say. You get used to them just as you get used to anything different that you need to adapt to.

After years of playing XI, when I started EQ2 I actually changed the camera/movement controls to mirror that of XI as much as possible. You just get used to it.


Two of my hotbars were keybound to Alt + 1-0 and Ctrl + 1-0 just because that was the way that I felt most comfortable. I do have to say I prefer WASD with mouselook over numpad though.

I'm interested to see if XIV is going to use /sea like XI instead of /who like some other games do. Ditto for /tell instead of /whisper (I liked that WoW used both, so that I could keep on using /tell).

I'm also hoping to go back to a playerbase that uses the term "DD" when referring to a person playing a damage dealing class instead of "DPS".
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#9 Jul 02 2010 at 3:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
45 posts
Quote:
FFXI's controls weren't like the EO/WoW standard, but they weren't that far off of most MMOs. Either way, I'm all about player preferences, so if you didn't like them, I understand. All the more reason any new MMO needs full keymapping and controller support, so people can set the game up to play the way they are comfortable.


I'm comfortable with FFXIs keyboard controls, have been ever since it started, but to say they aren't that far off from most PC MMOs is like saying the controls in a text-based adventure game are pretty close to a point-and-click adventure game controls. That is, quite literally, the difference integrated mouse controls make in a game.

FFXI's controls were designed around a PS2 controler, which worked decently, and then adapted to somewhat clunky keyboard controls, with some archaic, useless mouse controls for good measure.

FFXIV, seems to be, making controls for KB/M and Controller both possible and natural.
#10 Jul 02 2010 at 3:19 PM Rating: Good
Mikhalia wrote:
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
deathrament wrote:
I really wish we knew if this game will have controls like the newer mmo's standard keyboard and mouse controls. I want to pre order it but i couldnt stand ffix controls. Is the reason i did not play it, i just couldnt get used to the controls. So id really like to know what final fantasy xiv control system is like asap so i can pre order or not.


XI's controls did take a while to get used to. That you quit over it is more a lack of patience than a fault of the controls, I'd have to say. You get used to them just as you get used to anything different that you need to adapt to.

After years of playing XI, when I started EQ2 I actually changed the camera/movement controls to mirror that of XI as much as possible. You just get used to it.


Two of my hotbars were keybound to Alt + 1-0 and Ctrl + 1-0 just because that was the way that I felt most comfortable. I do have to say I prefer WASD with mouselook over numpad though.

I'm interested to see if XIV is going to use /sea like XI instead of /who like some other games do. Ditto for /tell instead of /whisper (I liked that WoW used both, so that I could keep on using /tell).

I'm also hoping to go back to a playerbase that uses the term "DD" when referring to a person playing a damage dealing class instead of "DPS".


I almost always do too actually. But XI got me used to a different way. Not once in my, what, 6 or 7 years? of XI did I use the mouse. Not a single time.

I use the 10key pad for movement, and use the arrow keys with my right thumb to adjust the camera angle (along with moving at the same time). It was weird at first, but since I didn't know how to change it to WASD when i started XI, I just got used to it. It works great for me Smiley: grin

That being said... I could go either way for XIV. WASD + Mouse or 10key + arrow keys.
#11 Jul 02 2010 at 3:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
As long as a simple logitec (PS style dual stick) gamepad will work, i'm good. I have to be able to sit back comfortably when I play.
#12 Jul 02 2010 at 3:27 PM Rating: Good
***
1,566 posts
I'm the kind of person who can't stand WSAD. I used the number pad from movement and my thumb on the arrow keys for camera movement with my left hand free for macros. Then again, this was my first MMO so that's no my "natural" feel for how to play on a keyboard. I barely ever had to touch the mouse.
#13 Jul 02 2010 at 3:46 PM Rating: Decent
20 posts
I just hope they can satisfy both playstyles, i cant imagine in this day in age that they wouldnt have the norm mmo control, wasd +mouse. I can certainly understand having what there normal player base is used to, but for a large % of the mmo community we prefer/need wasd and mouse. Heres to hopeing:)
#14 Jul 02 2010 at 3:51 PM Rating: Good
**
603 posts
Frankly to me the FFXI style of control was easier to use than traditional WASD. The fact that I didn't have to use a mouse and could easily target anything was great for me. I just put the camera on follow, worked like a charm.
#15 Jul 02 2010 at 3:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
787 posts
I always thought the FFXI PC controls were kind of odd, but I got use to them. But if I needed to travel far within the game, I would sit back and grab my USB PS/2 controls to navigate around. It even had a built in fan to keep my hands cool. :D
#16 Jul 02 2010 at 4:38 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Oh, I definitely got used to numpad and throwing my mouse in the trash after 6 years. I think that including both options (numpad and WASD) and/or having fully customizable keys would be extremely helpful for people who have only ever played XI and don't like WASD.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#17 Jul 03 2010 at 4:07 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
deathrament wrote:
I really wish we knew if this game will have controls like the newer mmo's standard keyboard and mouse controls. I want to pre order it but i couldnt stand ffix controls. Is the reason i did not play it, i just couldnt get used to the controls. So id really like to know what final fantasy xiv control system is like asap so i can pre order or not.


XI's controls did take a while to get used to. That you quit over it is more a lack of patience than a fault of the controls, I'd have to say. You get used to them just as you get used to anything different that you need to adapt to.

After years of playing XI, when I started EQ2 I actually changed the camera/movement controls to mirror that of XI as much as possible. You just get used to it.


No, the fact that he quit (and just like someone else I know that couldn't last longer than 30 minutes into the game) is that the control scheme is absolutely *horrid*. It isn't a lack of patience because someone stopped playing a game due to a **** near universally agreed complaint from the majority of people that no longer play -- they suck. They were designed for a controller and do not transition well at all to what should have been the standard fare for a PC game.

Of *course* you got used to them. You played it for years, and stuck with the horrendous controls. If you didn't get used to them, I'd think something was wrong with you. I got used to them as well, but saying that anyone has a lack of patience due to not bothering with a game with a seriously terrible control scheme for the keyboard and mouse is condescending.

Frankly, I agree with the OP -- if FFXIV follows with the same ****-poor, half-*** K+M control scheme I won't even bother. It's 2010, and I would be playing a game on the *PC*. If I wanted to play with a **** gamepad, I'd wait until it came out on the PS3. I don't, ergo I expect Square-Enix to actually not be lazy (or just terrible) and actually have an actual working K+M this time (especially when it comes to target selection, because FFXI's takes forever; nothing like wasting time because you can't just *CLICK* on something).


Edited, Jul 3rd 2010 6:10pm by StrijderVechter
#18 Jul 03 2010 at 4:28 PM Rating: Excellent
StrijderVechter wrote:
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
deathrament wrote:
I really wish we knew if this game will have controls like the newer mmo's standard keyboard and mouse controls. I want to pre order it but i couldnt stand ffix controls. Is the reason i did not play it, i just couldnt get used to the controls. So id really like to know what final fantasy xiv control system is like asap so i can pre order or not.


XI's controls did take a while to get used to. That you quit over it is more a lack of patience than a fault of the controls, I'd have to say. You get used to them just as you get used to anything different that you need to adapt to.

After years of playing XI, when I started EQ2 I actually changed the camera/movement controls to mirror that of XI as much as possible. You just get used to it.


No, the fact that he quit (and just like someone else I know that couldn't last longer than 30 minutes into the game) is that the control scheme is absolutely *horrid*. It isn't a lack of patience because someone stopped playing a game due to a **** near universally agreed complaint from the majority of people that no longer play -- they suck. They were designed for a controller and do not transition well at all to what should have been the standard fare for a PC game.

Of *course* you got used to them. You played it for years, and stuck with the horrendous controls. If you didn't get used to them, I'd think something was wrong with you. I got used to them as well, but saying that anyone has a lack of patience due to not bothering with a game with a seriously terrible control scheme for the keyboard and mouse is condescending.

Frankly, I agree with the OP -- if FFXIV follows with the same ****-poor, half-*** K+M control scheme I won't even bother. It's 2010, and I would be playing a game on the *PC*. If I wanted to play with a **** gamepad, I'd wait until it came out on the PS3. I don't, ergo I expect Square-Enix to actually not be lazy (or just terrible) and actually have an actual working K+M this time (especially when it comes to target selection, because FFXI's takes forever; nothing like wasting time because you can't just *CLICK* on something).


Edited, Jul 3rd 2010 6:10pm by StrijderVechter


So basically what you're saying is that if you continue to play it, you'll eventually get used to it. You say: Of course you (I) got used to them, as I played it for years. By the way, it did not take years to get used to. Give it a month or two and anybody will be accustomed to them. So if we're in agreement with your statement that playing it will cause you to get used to the controls... refusing to play based on the controls is something other than a lack of patience or willingness to adapt?

Could the controls/interface be better? Absolutely. But they did the trick for what FFXI was. Hundreds of thousands of other players got past them. They learned to adapt to them and in no time flat, were off enjoying and focusing on the rest of the game. Plenty of other people didn't act upon knee-jerk reactions to a new style of interface. The controls aren't even an afterthought once you put the effort in to play the game. AKA: patience.

#19 Jul 03 2010 at 4:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
FFXIV's controls are exactly like other MMOs out today such that you set attacks/skills to a hotbar at the bottom of the screen and use 0-9 on the keyboard to select attacks - FFXI used a macro system and relied on it heavily, this game doesn't rely too heavily on a macro system (if it even exists at all - safe bet it will though). So anyway, it plays like most other MMOs on the market, and whoever tells you otherwise is either lying or misinformed.
____________________________
MUTED
#20 Jul 03 2010 at 5:01 PM Rating: Decent
**
736 posts
I don't know if I'd agree that XI's control scheme was especially bad. It was unique, which is more a dangerous choice than nonfunctional one. It's not like they'd placed keys where your fingers were incapable of reaching them comfortably, or anything obviously screwball like that. (Though that mouse wasn't as responsive as it should've been. I never knew if that was just me or other people too).


One of the things holding off my purchase at the moment is how customizable the keyboard and mouse controls are. There's no good reason you can't have something so flexible you can create both the standard PC and XI control schemes. I really think that would be the wisest move on their part.



That said,
Quote:

Give it a month or two and anybody will be accustomed to them. So if we're in agreement with your statement that playing it will cause you to get used to the controls... refusing to play based on the controls is something other than a lack of patience or willingness to adapt?


That's surprisingly 'blame the victim'.

It doesn't matter what you want to label it, the only one responsible for the consequences of the company's decisions is the company. At some point they willfully deviated from the standard. Customer were turned off. That's such a classic reaction it may as well be textbook.



Edited, Jul 3rd 2010 7:11pm by Zemzelette
#21 Jul 03 2010 at 5:08 PM Rating: Good
Zemzelette wrote:
I don't know if I'd agree that XI's control scheme was especially bad. It was just unique, which is more a dangerous choice than nonfunctional one. It's not like they'd placed keys where your fingers were incapable of reaching them comfortably, or anything obviously screwball like that.

Though, one of the things holding off my purchase at the moment is how customizable the keyboard and mouse controls are. There's no good reason you can't have something so flexible you can create both the standard PC and XI control schemes. I really think that would be the wisest move on their part.

That said,
Quote:

Give it a month or two and anybody will be accustomed to them. So if we're in agreement with your statement that playing it will cause you to get used to the controls... refusing to play based on the controls is something other than a lack of patience or willingness to adapt?


That's surprisingly 'blame the victim'.

It doesn't matter what you want to label it, the only one responsible for the consequences of the company's decisions is the company. At some point they willfully deviated from the standard. Customer were turned off. That's such a classic reaction it may as well be textbook.

Edited, Jul 3rd 2010 7:02pm by Zemzelette


Perhaps. But it's really irrelevant. XI's controls are what they are. They're not going to change, and no amount of complaining about them will change it. People are free not to buy or play the game, of course. But I don't put much stock into the whole Blame the Victim fallacy in this case. It's sink or swim. Get used to them, or don't. It's pretty black and white honestly. It's not difficult, at all and once you get over that hurdle (if it's really that big of a hurdle in the first place), you're focusing on enjoying the great game that XI was/is.
#22 Jul 03 2010 at 5:32 PM Rating: Decent
**
736 posts
Aren't you blaming them by calling them impatient and unwilling?

Maybe it's just a trouble with wording. That's not the same thing as calling people who stuck through patient and dedicated. The latter implies your going above and beyond, the former that they were doing something wrong.

#23 Jul 03 2010 at 5:47 PM Rating: Good
Blame doesn't factor into this. I'm not faulting them for not liking the controls. I'll be the first to say that XI's controls were pretty awkward. However, it's not difficult to get used to. People are free not to play the game all they want, but if, in the example given above, you quit after 30 MINUTES? Sorry, there was just no effort to even try put into that. But, again, that's their choice. Just don't expect a pat on the back for it.
#24 Jul 03 2010 at 6:35 PM Rating: Decent
**
736 posts
You say you don't look down on their taste, but you seem to think they're beholden to ignore it for fixed period of time before it's considered valid? Why? People pick up and put down games within minutes all the time, for reasons far more fickle than this.

Edited, Jul 3rd 2010 8:37pm by Zemzelette
#25 Jul 03 2010 at 6:43 PM Rating: Good
As I said, Zem, sink or swim. Put forth the effort to get used to a new games controls (hardly a novel or rare requirement) or don't play. It's not for the game's sake, it's a simple matter of the game being what it is. Take it or leave it, love it or hate it, it is what it is. You get over the controls. It stops being an issue after a while. If you aren't willing to try to play with what is inexorably one's only option, you hardly have room to complain. Again, it is what it is. I'm not trying to be stony, just pragmatic.

I suppose that in extreme cases like the guy saying his friend tried out the game for 1/2 an hour and quit based on the controls, yes, I do look down upon that. To an extent. It's still their choice.
#26 Jul 03 2010 at 6:51 PM Rating: Decent
**
736 posts

I guess that's our difference. I don't look down on that at all.
Let's agree to disagree, I'd feel like I was harassing you if I said anything more. :3
#27 Jul 03 2010 at 6:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Agree to disagree? On Alla? That's blasphemy, sir! Smiley: grin
It's really not that huge of a deal to me, I'm also not trying to make a big deal of it.
#28 Jul 04 2010 at 7:31 AM Rating: Default
20 posts
I know that back when the other ff came out it was a different time in gaming. SE decieded on that control setup. They tried something different, what they thought was best at the time. But thats not the issue, its about what they do this time around. I have no issue with them putting in the old system of contol into the game to please those people that like it. However there are all kinds of people that want to have todays standard mmo control setup.(wasd + mouse) It would not be acceptable for them not to put in a fully functional wasd+ mouse to appeal to those who wish to use it. It is 2010 after all. Having said that im fairly certain that we wont be dissapointed come launch. They know that lots want that setup and im certain they wont risk loosing subs over something as simple as this, it is a buisness after all. Pleanty of people would be turned off by this, so its in there best interest.
#29 Jul 04 2010 at 7:35 AM Rating: Good
When I first started FFXI, The controls were a little awkward yes, But after a while I got used to them, Now I have no problems at all, If they implemented the same controls on FFXIV I'd have no problems at all :)
#30 Jul 04 2010 at 8:08 AM Rating: Good
Mithsavvy wrote:
As long as a simple logitec (PS style dual stick) gamepad will work, i'm good. I have to be able to sit back comfortably when I play.


Amen to that, brother (or sister). After 20+ years of mouse clicking, my wrist is pretty much shot. I can't play keyboard/mouse games for very long because of the pain associated with it. That's why I was always so happy with FFXI and the fact that it was developed with a game pad in mind from the start.
I think that the average person with the 'Why would you use a game pad over a keyboard/mouse combo OMG' attitude just don't get this. A game pad is much more comfortable and in FFXI either choice was viable (it's not like you're competing with a controller in a PC FPS for god's sake).

Even if I decide to upgrade my PC so that I can play on release, I'll still use my trusty old PS2 controller hooked in to the USB adapter like I did with FFXI on my PC. I use the keyboard for pure chat.
____________________________
FFXIV - Neo Geo (formerly Droxy Durango)
FFXI - Brit *Manly man on the Fairy server*
{Retired for good in 2010 after the server transfer and forced name change)

#31 Jul 04 2010 at 8:15 AM Rating: Default
20 posts
To each his own, if thats what u prefer great, i hope SE accomadates you. I also hope they can accomadate me as well. Time will tell.
#32xthunderblazex, Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 7:52 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Pretty sure they made it so you don't have to use a mouse if you don't want to, and use keyboard only again, which is what I prefer.
#33 Jul 05 2010 at 5:24 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
27 posts
What's wrong with the gamepad? I actually never really took the time to learn keyboard and mouse controls on ffxi which I played for about 6 years. I only use keyboard to chat. I don't like being hunched over on a keyboard and mouse. I like sitting back in the couch with my controller. FFXI didn't need precision like you would on a first person shooter. That's why you don't really need keyboard and mouse. You use the dpad to select a target and that target will be highlighted, and then I press attack to engage, then the rest relies on my macroed ctrl+alt on the shoulder buttons. Camera and movement on the analog stick gets you precise running around which is awesome for kiters. If there are skills that I couldn't macro because I don't use them that often, I press one of the assigned buttons to bring up the menu and use the dpad to navigate thru it. I even have a button just to heal and autorun. I personally think the reason we can't jump is because the controllers based on playstation design are missing just one more button, lol.

On WoW, I actually managed to map the controls to controller and some other mmo games as well, except they didn't have the same ffxi targetting style where you can just tab thru enemies to pick which one you want to attack and can't navigate thru them with Dpad, so I was very limited with controller. I can't get thru other WoW clones simply because they force you to play keyboard and mouse and carpal tunnel is a *****.

Anyways, to pass the time until release, I've been playing Fantasy Earth Zero, which was made by a Square Enix Team and very fast paced and can play with the controller.
#34 Jul 05 2010 at 5:53 PM Rating: Good
The only reason I didn't take issue with the XI control scheme for keyboard and mouse (or lack thereof) was because I didn't know any better. It took a while to get used to WASD + mouse look but having done so, going back to keyboard exclusive controls is not an appealing thought. So far, it doesn't appear as though there are strafe keys in XIV (lock and rotate only) and the mouse is apparently as sluggish as it was in XI. That's part of the reason I was disappointed at the nature and duration of the testing. Not nearly enough people outside the XI circle had nearly enough time to offer feedback on the game, and the two months or so worth of beta we've yet to see is likely not going to be long enough to change that.
#35 Jul 05 2010 at 6:35 PM Rating: Decent
**
736 posts
Quote:

and the mouse is apparently as sluggish as it was in XI.


Ohhhh. That's disappointing to hear.
That's a pretty genuine technical problem.

I agree, this whole Beta situation is kind of off-putting.
How much reasonable time are we looking at for Open Beta? Maybe a month if we're lucky? That's just not enough time to incorporate feedback.






Edited, Jul 5th 2010 8:36pm by Zemzelette
#36 Jul 05 2010 at 6:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
If I can get used to the CC2 controls on MH Tri in a few days (which require you to mangle your hands), anyone can get used to the controls for FFXIV easily enough.

The biggest problem with the controls right now for the gamepad are that they waste buttons by mapping a button for passive/active mode (not really needed since you only really need to be in active mode in combat) and a button for the emote list (REALLY not needed).

And the mouse is ****.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#37 Jul 05 2010 at 7:04 PM Rating: Decent
Zemzelette wrote:
Quote:

and the mouse is apparently as sluggish as it was in XI.


Ohhhh. That's disappointing to hear.
That's a pretty genuine technical problem.

I agree, this whole Beta situation is kind of off-putting.
How much reasonable time are we looking at for Open Beta? Maybe a month if we're lucky? That's just not enough time to incorporate feedback.


Considering the first week of July is nearing an end and the closed beta hasn't begun yet, I'd say there's not going to be much time for the open beta. A few weeks if we're lucky, assuming they shut the test servers down 2-4 weeks before retail launch like most MMO companies.
#38 Jul 05 2010 at 7:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,448 posts
For FFXI I -never- used the mouse. I absolutely loved the movement+camera setup because I am left handed and used all macros with my left hand while using my right thumb for camera and fingers for movement. Between tab and 0 on the numpad to rapidly rotate through targets on-screen, I never had any issues being slow to target things.

Any other PC game i've played since FFXI I have mirrored to use the same setup with the lack of an analog stick. With movement/camera buttons inter-mixed on the numpad it is easy to hit an auto-run, a walk, a duck, jump, center-camera w/e button on the 7, 9, 1, 3, minus, plus, divide, and all that good stuffs.

____________________________
Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
Lacaan Vasiim:Cactuar
Free Company:Cactuar Corp<CCorp>
catwho wrote:
If you need a bard to get "good exp" in a merit party, you're the weakest link.
#39 Jul 06 2010 at 1:33 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
Anyways, to pass the time until release, I've been playing Fantasy Earth Zero, which was made by a Square Enix Team and very fast paced and can play with the controller.


I gave that game a shot. I rrrrrreally tried to like it. I took a couple characters to the 20-30 range.. I just couldn't dig it. I don't know why. Maybe the lag (yes I tried the registry tricks). I don't know. Has it improved since march or so? Did they ever add the races they advertise in to the game finally?

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 12:33am by GuardianFaith
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#41 Jul 06 2010 at 9:27 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
295 posts
I hear that a gamepad is actually suggested over a keyboard and mouse.
#42 Jul 06 2010 at 10:46 AM Rating: Decent
Quote:
FXIV's controls are exactly like other MMOs out today such that you set attacks/skills to a hotbar at the bottom of the screen and use 0-9 on the keyboard to select attacks - FFXI used a macro system and relied on it heavily, this game doesn't rely too heavily on a macro system (if it even exists at all - safe bet it will though). So anyway, it plays like most other MMOs on the market, and whoever tells you otherwise is either lying or misinformed.


Hallelujah, is all I have to say.

I put up with playing FF XI on my gamepad, but I was always unsatisfied with the control scheme for the game. I've been secretly harboring hope that SE learned something and will allow me to user-define WASD even if it's not the default. It seems like you're confirming that I will be able to, and I cheer for it. Thanks!
____________________________
WoW:
80 Druid/Warrior/Priest/Shaman/Death Knight/Paladin/Mage/Hunter, 60 Warlock
Final Fantasy XI:
75 DRG, 60 PLD, 43 SCH Rank 10 Windurst, Rank 9 Sandoria, Rank 10 Bastok
Owned and completed:
FF 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12
#43 Jul 06 2010 at 11:03 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
I like the keyboard only controls. I don't care if they add a decent mouse look style of control but they should keep the keyboard controls default. I even used a keyboard over the controller when playing on a PS2 /shrug
#44 Jul 06 2010 at 10:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
161 posts
Did no one use the settings in FFXI? You could change to 'compact keyboard' and it would give you WASD movement. The only problem I ever had with FFXI controls was the mouse it was just not responsive the way I liked it to be. And that was easily remedied by using the arrow keys instead.
____________________________




#45 Jul 06 2010 at 10:33 PM Rating: Decent
**
800 posts
I hate having to use the mouse to target. I use multiple monitors, and so I have to fiddle with the mouse for a few seconds just to find the darn cursor, then move it to select the mob. All where one or two "tab"s would have sufficed.

I really don't mind WASD vs. numpad. If WASD is the movement controls, I'll assign the numpad to skills. If the numpad controls movement, I'll use the number row for skills. Just please don't make me use the mouse.

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 11:35pm by Hydragyrum
#46 Jul 06 2010 at 10:38 PM Rating: Decent
Hydragyrum wrote:
I hate having to use the mouse to target. I use multiple monitors, and so I have to fiddle with the mouse for a few seconds just to find the darn cursor, then move it to select the mob. All where one or two "tab"s would have sufficed.

I really don't mind WASD vs. numpad. If WASD is the movement controls, I'll assign the numpad to skills. If the numpad controls movement, I'll use the number row for skills. Just please don't make me use the mouse.


Just because you can use the mouse to target doesn't mean it's your only option. I don't recall ever having played an MMO where you couldn't cycle through on-screen targets with the <Tab> key. There are situations where being able to target fluidly with the mouse is an asset over tabbing around, but it's hardly the norm. The primary benefit to keyboard + mouse is that it's much more responsive than keyboard alone, especially when it comes to turning on a dime. A lot of people don't like the idea of playing an MMO with a gamepad, but that doesn't mean we should get stuck with sluggish keyboard controls because the developer can't write proper mouse routines.
#47 Jul 06 2010 at 10:50 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Just because you can use the mouse to target doesn't mean it's your only option. I don't recall ever having played an MMO where you couldn't cycle through on-screen targets with the <Tab> key. There are situations where being able to target fluidly with the mouse is an asset over tabbing around, but it's hardly the norm. The primary benefit to keyboard + mouse is that it's much more responsive than keyboard alone, especially when it comes to turning on a dime. A lot of people don't like the idea of playing an MMO with a gamepad, but that doesn't mean we should get stuck with sluggish keyboard controls because the developer can't write proper mouse routines.


The tab logic in LoTRO was terrible. It must have been something like counter-clockwise with all targetable objects in range. It seriously took me many tabs to switch between two mobs currently meleeing me. As slow as the mouse was, tabbing was slower, so the mouse sadly was the best choice.

Tab logic along the lines of nearest party/alliance engaged targets first is so much faster.

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 11:52pm by Hydragyrum
#48 Jul 06 2010 at 11:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
784 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:


I almost always do too actually. But XI got me used to a different way. Not once in my, what, 6 or 7 years? of XI did I use the mouse. Not a single time.

I use the 10key pad for movement, and use the arrow keys with my right thumb to adjust the camera angle (along with moving at the same time). It was weird at first, but since I didn't know how to change it to WASD when i started XI, I just got used to it. It works great for me Smiley: grin

That being said... I could go either way for XIV. WASD + Mouse or 10key + arrow keys.


That sounds exactly like what I did, from memory (I quit at the end of 1st year of NA release, so it's been a while). Only took a couple of days to get used to it, and then if felt totally natural.

It's also completely different from how I have played any other MMO (EQ1, EQ2, L2, WoW, WH, GW, AoC, etc) and I don't think I could have played any of those other games like I did FFXI either, heh.
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#49 Jul 07 2010 at 3:28 AM Rating: Good
*
205 posts
Quote:
For FFXI I -never- used the mouse. I absolutely loved the movement+camera setup because I am left handed and used all macros with my left hand while using my right thumb for camera and fingers for movement. Between tab and 0 on the numpad to rapidly rotate through targets on-screen, I never had any issues being slow to target things.


i also love the movement+camera setup (i did not adpat to it, i liked it from the start), but if the mouse is a requirement to properly perform task in FFXIV the hand positioning will be a problem.

WSAD format do allow doing almost everything with jus 1 hand if u use the tab key to select target, the other hand can be used to eat a hamburger.
____________________________
I'm Xabac/Sleepymagi from FFXI Odin Server, if u hate/love me send me a /tell.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (23)