Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

The Definitive "Why did my system bomb the benchmark?" PostFollow

#52 Jul 05 2010 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
261 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
BeamerB wrote:
So swapping the vid card for one more suitable should, in theory, get me over 9000...I mean 1500, correct?


I would say probably not. It's possible, but it would be like putting a giant carburator on a lawnmower engine. There's only so much you can do with what you've got.


Is the processor my main concern?
____________________________
Beamer
Carbuncle
DRK 63, Thf 75, Rng 51,
War 37, Nin 37, Cor 35, Smn 35,
Sam 27, Bst 71, Sch 32, Dnc 60
CoP:O
Linkshell: Yoooooo
#53 Jul 05 2010 at 12:21 PM Rating: Good
Ok... this is the first post I will make and last I believe. I'm hoping I can wait until a couple weeks before release before getting new parts and here's my dilemma: bought a pc 3 or 4 yrs ago and it's been decent up until the benchmark program for FFXIV. Here are some screenys of the test(that's me way on the left by the way :D) http://ffxiv.zam.com/Im/image/170066 and http://ffxiv.zam.com/Im/image/170065. According to those two screenys my system is "capable" of running, barely, FFXIV. I could upgrade to GTX470 and run it ok but am worried about my motherboard and PSU. I will eventually upgrade everything but I want to know if it's possible to "put a huge carburator on a lawnmower engine" with the system I have for now >.> not sure if I can upgrade the way I want by release date.

I want to stress that in good time I want the best I can get but until then I will have to settle for one maybe two "long time" upgrades and which ones to get.
Thanks for your input everyone

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 11:48am by grindahll
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?140477
[ffxisig]140477[/ffxisig]

#54 Jul 05 2010 at 12:38 PM Rating: Decent
BeamerB wrote:
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
BeamerB wrote:
So swapping the vid card for one more suitable should, in theory, get me over 9000...I mean 1500, correct?


I would say probably not. It's possible, but it would be like putting a giant carburator on a lawnmower engine. There's only so much you can do with what you've got.


Is the processor my main concern?


There's not a lot you could salvage from that machine. You'd ideally want to upgrade the processor, which would also entail replacing the motherboard and most likely the RAM, then the video card which, if you're interested in preserving the life of your components would also likely require a new case with adequate ventillation, probably a new power supply, and then Windows 7 64-bit. You'd most likely be able to keep HDDs/optical drive and that's about it.
#55 Jul 05 2010 at 12:40 PM Rating: Decent
grindahll the Fussy wrote:
Ok... this is the first post I will make and last I believe. I'm hoping I can wait until a couple weeks before release before getting new parts and here's my dilemma: bought a pc 3/4 yrs ago and it's been decent up until the benchmark program for FFXIV. Here are some screenys of the test(that's me way on the left by the way :D) http://ffxiv.zam.com/Im/image/170066 and http://ffxiv.zam.com/Im/image/170065. According to those two screenys my system is "capable" of running, barely, FFXIV. I could upgrade to GTX470 and run it ok but am worried about my motherboard and PSU. I will eventually upgrade everything but I want to know if it's possible to "put a huge carburator on a lawnmower engine" with the system I have for now >.> not sure if I can upgrade the way I want by release date.

I want to stress that in good time I want the best I can get but until then I will have to settle for one maybe two "long time" upgrades and which ones to get.
Thanks for your input everyone


If by 3/4 you mean 0.75 (as opposed to 3 or 4) then you should e fine to upgrade to a GTX470/480 or a Radeon 57xx/58xx. PSU would be the primary concern...not enough power and things like to die. (Every time I've had a PSU fail it has taken an HDD with it and I got off easy).
#56 Jul 05 2010 at 12:52 PM Rating: Good
Fixed my post and buying a new PSU isn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. So I think I'll be getting 470GPU and a PSU with 600 + amps. What about cooling? Would an extra fan help? Thanks Aur

And I built this pc to run Crysis when it came out... figured that would be a good benchmark and would last a few yrs.

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 12:31pm by grindahll
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?140477
[ffxisig]140477[/ffxisig]

#57 Jul 05 2010 at 1:03 PM Rating: Excellent
grindahll the Fussy wrote:
Fixed my post and buying a new PSU isn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. So I think I'll be getting 470GPU and a PSU with 600 + amps. What about cooling? Would an extra fan help? Thanks Aur

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 11:57am by grindahll


You can't go wrong with extra and/or more high powered fans. That is, if you don't mind the additional noise. If you plan on overclocking, you'll definitely need to invest in some sort of more-than-stock cooling system.
#58 Jul 05 2010 at 1:23 PM Rating: Good
I have no idea how to overclock :) Something tells me by the time FFXIV is released I will know how to overclock though... the community has been great during this whole "benchmark" thing.

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 12:24pm by grindahll
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?140477
[ffxisig]140477[/ffxisig]

#59 Jul 05 2010 at 1:29 PM Rating: Decent
grindahll the Fussy wrote:
Fixed my post and buying a new PSU isn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. So I think I'll be getting 470GPU and a PSU with 600 + amps. What about cooling? Would an extra fan help? Thanks Aur


600W PSU would be about the minimum for that setup and the easiest thing I could suggest would be to go with one that has a minimum 2 year warranty. Anything else is garbage. As for cooling, if you get a proper mid-tower case like an Antec 900 or a CoolerMaster 922, it will come with most/all the fans you need to get good ventillation. I'm using a Coolermaster 932 (the big brother to the 922) and it comes from the factory with 4 fans...three of which are large enough to use to keep yourself cool on a hot summer day.
#60 Jul 05 2010 at 2:39 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
PC crashed before the benchmark would actually load anything on the screen, imagining that can't be too good.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#61 Jul 05 2010 at 3:45 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
bsphil wrote:
PC crashed before the benchmark would actually load anything on the screen, imagining that can't be too good.


Updating graphics drivers and directx have solved this problem for nearly everyone (myself included) who had that same problem.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#62 Jul 05 2010 at 4:01 PM Rating: Excellent
**
349 posts
If you guys don't mind, I'd want an honest opinion on this and if it gonna last for a little while as well as playing FFXIV:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.418969

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 6:02pm by MisterRandy
#63 Jul 05 2010 at 4:09 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
MisterRandy wrote:
If you guys don't mind, I'd want an honest opinion on this and if it gonna last for a little while as well as playing FFXIV:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.418969

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 6:02pm by MisterRandy


Requirements -

Quad core processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz (Hexacore) Check
GTX42XX+/Radeon48XX+/57XX+: Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Check
And a 700W PSU on top of that looks good too

You should be able to run it fine. I figure your benchmark score should be 5000-6000ish. This rig should last you for several years and is a good buy.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#64 Jul 05 2010 at 4:11 PM Rating: Excellent
**
349 posts
I was pretty much sure it was powerfull enough to, just wondered about AMD mboard and processor. Also wondered about compatibility between the combo items.
#65 Jul 05 2010 at 4:16 PM Rating: Decent
*
109 posts
Ran the FFXIV benchmark and got over 4700 on low resolution and over 4400 on high resolution.

System specs:
120gb OCZ SSD x2
AMD Phenom II(x4) 965 3.4ghz
8gb DDR3 OCZ.
ATI Sapphire Radeon 5870 1gb gddr5 x2(tests done with 1 card in tho)
MSI 790fx-gd70 motherboard
liteon blu-ray disc drive
Silverstone 1000w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit

Thinking I should be getting alot higher but no big deal at the moment.

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 5:24pm by Pyrien

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 5:24pm by Pyrien
____________________________
Windows 7 (64-bit)
Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower
MSI 790FX-GD70
2 OCZ SSD 120GB
AMD Phenom II 965 Quad-core 3.4Ghz
2 ATI Sapphire HD5870 1gb GDDR5
8GB OCZ DDR3
#66 Jul 05 2010 at 4:24 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
MisterRandy wrote:
I was pretty much sure it was powerfull enough to, just wondered about AMD mboard and processor. Also wondered about compatibility between the combo items.


I would hope that if newegg is going to offer a combo deal, they should combo parts that are all compatible with each other...

Everything looks okay to me at a cursory glance; since you're installing an aftermarket cooler, just make sure you use the right attachment to connect it to the motherboard.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#67 Jul 05 2010 at 4:26 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Pyrien wrote:
Ran the FFXIV benchmark and got over 4700 on low resolution and over 4400 on high resolution.

System specs:
120gb OCZ SSD x2
AMD Phenom II(x4) 965 3.4ghz
8gb DDR3 OCZ.
ATI Sapphire Radeon 5870 1gb gddr5 x2(tests done with 1 card in tho)
MSI 790fx-gd70 motherboard
liteon blu-ray disc drive
Silverstone 1000w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit

Thinking I should be getting alot higher but no big deal at the moment.

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 5:24pm by Pyrien

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 5:24pm by Pyrien


That score for those specs looks about what I would expect. XIV is looking to be a very demanding game, and will probably be -the- most demanding game on the market for a while now.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#68 Jul 05 2010 at 4:32 PM Rating: Excellent
**
349 posts
Actually Newegg specifically says that he doesn't warranty compatibility between the combo pieces.....
#69 Jul 05 2010 at 4:45 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
MisterRandy wrote:
Actually Newegg specifically says that he doesn't warranty compatibility between the combo pieces.....


*facepalm*
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#70 Jul 05 2010 at 5:01 PM Rating: Excellent
**
349 posts
My reaction exactly...hopefully, after some verification, I am still almost sure they all are compatible. Though if anybody have AMD and compatibility knowledge, that'd be nice hearing an opinion. I am very close to buy it with all the feedback I have.
#71 Jul 05 2010 at 5:56 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
MisterRandy wrote:
My reaction exactly...hopefully, after some verification, I am still almost sure they all are compatible. Though if anybody have AMD and compatibility knowledge, that'd be nice hearing an opinion. I am very close to buy it with all the feedback I have.


Well, let's see here...

* ASUS Socket AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard (Model: M4A89GTD PRO/USB3)
* AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (Thuban) 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor (Model: HDT55TFBGRBOX)
CPU is AM3, Motherboard supports AM3, so we're good.
* ASUS Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity (Model: EAH5830 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5)
Compatible with motherboard
* Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Series 700W ATX12V V2.3 CrossFireX/SLI Ready 80Plus Certified Modular Active Power Supply (Model: RS-700-AMBA-D3)
Should be compatible with motherboard and video
* Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 7200RPM 32MB cache SATA II 3.5" Hard Drive (Model: ST31500341AS) - OEM
* LG Black 24X DVD+/-R 8X DVD+RW 6X DVD-RW SATA 5.25" DL-DVD Burner (Model: GH24NS50) - OEM
Both SATA, compatible with motherboard.
* Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Model: KVR1333D3K2/4GR)
Motherboard supports DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 so we're golden.
* Cooler Master Red Steel/Plastic/Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Model: AM-932-RWN1-GP)
ATX Mid tower is fine, should fit everything inside.
* Cooler Master V8 120mm Rifle CPU Cooling Fan (Model: RR-UV8-XBU1-GP)
Says it's compatible with AM3 processors (among others), so you should be okay.

So everything looks like it should work together fine.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#72 Jul 05 2010 at 6:30 PM Rating: Excellent
**
349 posts
After checking Newegg and making my way around, putting the basic of stuff in the "cart", I realized I was getting something ebetter at the same price (with everything + Office and no shipping). I am really bugged about the 450W Power Supply Dell offers. I read somewhere it goes more likre a 500-550W, but is still kinda low for an i7-920 and a RAdeon HD5870 and the 12 GB RAM in it. Also, I bet it does have some temperature issue.

I'd probably change the Power supply as soon as I could get it, but chances are my warranties will be screwed with it.
#73 Jul 05 2010 at 6:33 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
MisterRandy wrote:
After checking Newegg and making my way around, putting the basic of stuff in the "cart", I realized I was getting something ebetter at the same price (with everything + Office and no shipping). I am really bugged about the 450W Power Supply Dell offers. I read somewhere it goes more likre a 500-550W, but is still kinda low for an i7-920 and a RAdeon HD5870 and the 12 GB RAM in it. Also, I bet it does have some temperature issue.

I'd probably change the Power supply as soon as I could get it, but chances are my warranties will be screwed with it.


450W PSU with an i7 and a 5870... I'd be amazed if the thing didn't take a **** on you in the first year. You'd -need- the warranty.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#74 Jul 05 2010 at 6:36 PM Rating: Excellent
**
349 posts
Pretty much the feedback I get from who I ask around : ***** the warranty and switch that PSU to more tha 650W
#75 Jul 05 2010 at 6:38 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Wait a minute, the system you linked was 700W, and then you started talking about Dell... did I miss a middle step in there somewhere?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#76 Jul 05 2010 at 6:50 PM Rating: Excellent
**
349 posts
Checking different opportunities.

While the enw egg combo was great, due to rebate in Dell's, I can have all the same pieces, but with more power and stuff at around the same price.

The Newegg had a 700W PSU in their combo.

The Dell one have a 450W PSU (that supposedly works like a 500-550W) in the build.




Edited, Jul 5th 2010 8:51pm by MisterRandy
#77 Jul 05 2010 at 6:54 PM Rating: Decent
Hi guys.
Ran the benchmark and was slightly disappointed - 4663 low resolution, 2576 high resolution.
I have only just bought this PC so was hoping to score a bit higher in high res.

Specs
Intel i7 CPU 920 4.00GHz
6GB DDR3 Corsair
Rampage II Extreme mobo
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Corsair 750W PSU

I'm not to knowledgeable but I'm assuming I should upgrade my graphics card to be able to run it better in high res, would another 5770 in crossfire be a good choice?
#78 Jul 05 2010 at 7:09 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
IntenseParanoia wrote:
Hi guys.
Ran the benchmark and was slightly disappointed - 4663 low resolution, 2576 high resolution.
I have only just bought this PC so was hoping to score a bit higher in high res.

Specs
Intel i7 CPU 920 4.00GHz
6GB DDR3 Corsair
Rampage II Extreme mobo
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Corsair 750W PSU

I'm not to knowledgeable but I'm assuming I should upgrade my graphics card to be able to run it better in high res, would another 5770 in crossfire be a good choice?


XIV is looking to be a very demanding game; your benchmark scores are about what I would expect for your rig (I know you probably don't want to hear that, but it's true)

Your processor/RAM/PSU are fine. If you want higher performance, I would suggest a 58xx/59xx or a Fermi. 5770s are 128-bit and 58xx are 256-bit. Adding another 5770 would give you better performance, but you'd probably be better off spending a little extra and just going up with a single GPU instead of adding a second 5770, especially if you were hoping to play in high res.

The 6000 series are allegedly coming out later this year, so waiting until September to upgrade may be a good bet; the prices may come down.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#79 Jul 05 2010 at 7:09 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
MisterRandy wrote:
Checking different opportunities.

While the enw egg combo was great, due to rebate in Dell's, I can have all the same pieces, but with more power and stuff at around the same price.

The Newegg had a 700W PSU in their combo.

The Dell one have a 450W PSU (that supposedly works like a 500-550W) in the build.


Yeah, I wouldn't care what it "supposedly works like", and I would definitely replace it with at least a 600-650W.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#80 Jul 05 2010 at 7:19 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
I don't know how people are scoring so low on 720 bench.
My specs:

E500 Pentium Dual-Core (that's right not a core2duo) 2.5gz
4g of ****** ram
Nvidia 9800GT (Not a gts or x)

Still scoring a consistent 2300 on the benchmark which means I can run it on low settings easily. (Which imo looks better than FFXI on max)

My score isn't high, but considering my hardware it's respectable.. I'm happy but confused at the same time.
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#81 Jul 05 2010 at 7:33 PM Rating: Decent
Mikhalia wrote:

XIV is looking to be a very demanding game; your benchmark scores are about what I would expect for your rig (I know you probably don't want to hear that, but it's true)

Your processor/RAM/PSU are fine. If you want higher performance, I would suggest a 58xx/59xx or a Fermi. 5770s are 128-bit and 58xx are 256-bit. Adding another 5770 would give you better performance, but you'd probably be better off spending a little extra and just going up with a single GPU instead of adding a second 5770, especially if you were hoping to play in high res.

The 6000 series are allegedly coming out later this year, so waiting until September to upgrade may be a good bet; the prices may come down.


I'm always amazed how every time I buy a new system I'm unable to run every game in max setting after a few months, still better graphics are always a good thing even if it means I'm broke all the time heh.

Thank you for the advice I think ill wait (and pray) prices drop a little and pick up a 5850 or 5870.
#82 Jul 05 2010 at 7:46 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
I don't know how people are scoring so low on 720 bench.
My specs:

E500 Pentium Dual-Core (that's right not a core2duo) 2.5gz
4g of sh*tty ram
Nvidia 9800GT (Not a gts or x)

Still scoring a consistent 2300 on the benchmark which means I can run it on low settings easily. (Which imo looks better than FFXI on max)

My score isn't high, but considering my hardware it's respectable.. I'm happy but confused at the same time.

That's very surprising. Without you saying that score, I'd have sworn you'd be in the 1500ish range. I don't know what's going on that you scored so well, but I'm certainly not going to call you a liar.

IntenseParanoia wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:

XIV is looking to be a very demanding game; your benchmark scores are about what I would expect for your rig (I know you probably don't want to hear that, but it's true)

Your processor/RAM/PSU are fine. If you want higher performance, I would suggest a 58xx/59xx or a Fermi. 5770s are 128-bit and 58xx are 256-bit. Adding another 5770 would give you better performance, but you'd probably be better off spending a little extra and just going up with a single GPU instead of adding a second 5770, especially if you were hoping to play in high res.

The 6000 series are allegedly coming out later this year, so waiting until September to upgrade may be a good bet; the prices may come down.


I'm always amazed how every time I buy a new system I'm unable to run every game in max setting after a few months, still better graphics are always a good thing even if it means I'm broke all the time heh.

Thank you for the advice I think ill wait (and pray) prices drop a little and pick up a 5850 or 5870.


Well, as I said, XIV is unusually ahead of the pack in terms of requirements. It's basically Crysis, except in MMO form; insane graphics with insane requirements. To be fair, they -did- say "A good system 5 years from now should be able to run it on high settings". And a good system 5 years from now is better than a GREAT system now.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#83 Jul 05 2010 at 10:27 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
That's very surprising. Without you saying that score, I'd have sworn you'd be in the 1500ish range. I don't know what's going on that you scored so well, but I'm certainly not going to call you a liar.


I'll fraps it, seriously. In a bit i'm on my laptop. Can anyone explain why my computer runs it so well (considering my cpu is ****) ??
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#84 Jul 05 2010 at 10:42 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
Quote:
That's very surprising. Without you saying that score, I'd have sworn you'd be in the 1500ish range. I don't know what's going on that you scored so well, but I'm certainly not going to call you a liar.


I'll fraps it, seriously. In a bit i'm on my laptop. Can anyone explain why my computer runs it so well (considering my cpu is sh*t) ??


No need; I believe you. I have no explanation though.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#85 Jul 05 2010 at 11:06 PM Rating: Good
Mikhalia, look at the screenys I posted near the top of the page... one for low res and one for high. My system is actually worse than Guardian's and I scored just a little lower than him.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?140477
[ffxisig]140477[/ffxisig]

#86 Jul 05 2010 at 11:38 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
grindahll the Fussy wrote:
Mikhalia, look at the screenys I posted near the top of the page... one for low res and one for high. My system is actually worse than Guardian's and I scored just a little lower than him.


Yeah, you have a quad core and he has a dual. His should be low. Youre should be a little higher, but your GPU is on the low end so that's what's likely holding it back.

My rig is a Phenom II X4 with a 5770 and it gets me a 4000 on low. I changed the video to the integrated 4200 on the motherboard and allocated 1 GB RAM (on top of 128 MB sideport) and it changed my benchmark from 4000 to 500.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#87 Jul 05 2010 at 11:57 PM Rating: Good
"Yeah, you have a quad core and he has a dual. His should be low. Youre should be a little higher, but your GPU is on the low end so that's what's likely holding it back."

This actually makes me feel even better. Still going to upgrade the motherboard and CPU when I have the money but it looks like at least I will be able to play in September as long as I upgrade GPU and PSU.

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 10:57pm by grindahll
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?140477
[ffxisig]140477[/ffxisig]

#88 Jul 06 2010 at 12:30 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/jonathandcowden/FFXivWinBenchmark2010-07-0523-22-40.jpg

There's a SC of my score on low. The reason this bothers me is because I was thinking about upgrading just a bit and giving this computer to my buddy. But people are running terrible scores on better machines. :/

____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#89 Jul 06 2010 at 12:31 AM Rating: Good
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
My rig is a Phenom II X4 with a 5770 and it gets me a 4000 on low. I changed the video to the integrated 4200 on the motherboard and allocated 1 GB RAM (on top of 128 MB sideport) and it changed my benchmark from 4000 to 500.


Wow. Yeah this game is very vid card heavy, i got a higher score than my buddy's i5 just because my 9800 is better than his GT230.
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#90 Jul 06 2010 at 1:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Eh kind of a nub question, but I saw that FFXIV runs in 32bit and if you use 64bit it uses something called WOW64 as a converter to solve that. Does that mean FFXIV could be running a bit faster on Windows 7 32-bit instead of Windows 7 64-bit, because it wouldn't have to "fix" anything?

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 9:31am by RedGalka
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#91 Jul 06 2010 at 2:46 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
RedGalka wrote:
Eh kind of a nub question, but I saw that FFXIV runs in 32bit and if you use 64bit it uses something called WOW64 as a converter to solve that. Does that mean FFXIV could be running a bit faster on Windows 7 32-bit instead of Windows 7 64-bit, because it wouldn't have to "fix" anything?

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 9:31am by RedGalka


That, I couldn't tell you, since nearly all the benchmark scores I've seen are 64 bit OSes that I know of; not enough people have run it on a 32 bit OS to even tell.

If you have a 32 bit OS, let us know :)
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#92 Jul 06 2010 at 3:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
My laptop crashes before it even starts the benchmark and the manufacturer isn't providing any updates for the ati videocard driver so I'm going to build a pc purely for FFXIV. I plan to get the new Windows 7 for it, just still wondering about the 32/64bit version thing.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#93 Jul 06 2010 at 4:21 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
RedGalka wrote:
My laptop crashes before it even starts the benchmark and the manufacturer isn't providing any updates for the ati videocard driver so I'm going to build a pc purely for FFXIV. I plan to get the new Windows 7 for it, just still wondering about the 32/64bit version thing.


You should be able to download an updated driver from ATI's website if you know the model. Updating DirectX would help, too.

As for the 32/64 bit; I prefer 64 bit OSes overall but lately I'm not too sure if that has any effect on benchmark scores.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#94 Jul 06 2010 at 11:24 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
If you look at this site: http://ffxiv-fan.rulez.jp/benchmarkrank.php someone using Windows 7 32-bit has the top spot. I doubt that 64 bit is at a disadvantage though.
#95 Jul 06 2010 at 4:10 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
bsphil wrote:
PC crashed before the benchmark would actually load anything on the screen, imagining that can't be too good.


Updating graphics drivers and directx have solved this problem for nearly everyone (myself included) who had that same problem.
Did both of these, still crashes in the exact same manner.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#96 Jul 06 2010 at 5:08 PM Rating: Good
***
3,811 posts
Mikhalia, I have one last question for you. I promise it's my last. I have decided to just pick up a pair of 5870's if I catch a good deal on them by September. I'll wait until next winter to upgrade to an i7. I need to know if my current PSU is good enough to run two of these cards with everything else I have running off of it now. Will I be borderline? Better just to pick up a 1000w unit to be safe?

PXU: Cosair 750W
Cooler Master ATCS 840
Fans: 3x320mm, 3x120mm
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz O/C @ 3.4GHz
Ram: 8 gig of G.Skill PC-6400
DVD R/W
Hardrives: 1x150g Raptor, 2x1TB, 1x2TB

As it stands now the only spare power connectors I have are for a second card. I'm thinking that two 5870's might strain be a strain on a 750w unit. Are my worries misplaced?


Edit: Also, if it makes a difference, I'll be O/C the 5870's as well and pushing my RAM as far as it will go.

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 7:11pm by Kyoshindi
____________________________

Quote:
The Path to **** is paved with good intentions.
#97 Jul 06 2010 at 5:28 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
bsphil wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
bsphil wrote:
PC crashed before the benchmark would actually load anything on the screen, imagining that can't be too good.


Updating graphics drivers and directx have solved this problem for nearly everyone (myself included) who had that same problem.
Did both of these, still crashes in the exact same manner.


In the benchmark folder, go under "Data" and run FFXIVWinBenchmark as administrator, if you haven't. (Not the original file)

Kyoshindi wrote:
Mikhalia, I have one last question for you. I promise it's my last. I have decided to just pick up a pair of 5870's if I catch a good deal on them by September. I'll wait until next winter to upgrade to an i7. I need to know if my current PSU is good enough to run two of these cards with everything else I have running off of it now. Will I be borderline? Better just to pick up a 1000w unit to be safe?

PXU: Cosair 750W
Cooler Master ATCS 840
Fans: 3x320mm, 3x120mm
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz O/C @ 3.4GHz
Ram: 8 gig of G.Skill PC-6400
DVD R/W
Hardrives: 1x150g Raptor, 2x1TB, 1x2TB

As it stands now the only spare power connectors I have are for a second card. I'm thinking that two 5870's might strain be a strain on a 750w unit. Are my worries misplaced?


Edit: Also, if it makes a difference, I'll be O/C the 5870's as well and pushing my RAM as far as it will go.

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 7:11pm by Kyoshindi


Try here. You have to pay for the muli GPU version of that, but this one should at least give you a basic calculation of your power requirements.

And if you have more questions, keep asking. Even if I can't answer, I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#98 Jul 06 2010 at 6:29 PM Rating: Good
***
3,811 posts
Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll be taking it close, recommended 740W. Looks like I won't be adding any more hard drives anytime soon.
____________________________

Quote:
The Path to **** is paved with good intentions.
#99 Jul 06 2010 at 7:15 PM Rating: Good
**
287 posts
Mik, I have a small question and would like your recomnendations. I'm shopping for some minor upgrades so my current pc is capable of playing XIV and need advice on upgrading both the cpu and graphics. Currently using a dual core intel cpu overclocked to 3 ghz and a pair of 8800 Gts' in SLI. While I can get 2300 from the benchmark on low, I'm sure with some slight upgrades I could get much better. The questions I have is what is a decent quad core that can fit an Lga 775 socket and what graphics card would be decent enough to replace the Gts'. The first one is pretty self explanatory, quad core is superior to a dual core, but the video cards a little more tricky.

With the video cards, I need a single card that would give about the same performance as the two, since both of my current cards pump out major amounts of heat, and the bottom on in the sli disallows me the use of my sound card as well as sitting half an inch above my psu. Which isn't exactly the card's fault, more of a combination of my motherboard and computer case. I would like to be able to salvage my mobo and memory if possible since I plan to give this pc to my little brother when I build a new one around december/january. Any help would be much appreciated.
____________________________
Guns dont kill people. Rangers and Hunters with guns kill people.
Jefro420 wrote:
I won't be checking anyone in the BC ward that doesn't have star over their head from now on.





#100 Jul 06 2010 at 7:48 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
bsphil wrote:
PC crashed before the benchmark would actually load anything on the screen, imagining that can't be too good.


Updating graphics drivers and directx have solved this problem for nearly everyone (myself included) who had that same problem.
Did both of these, still crashes in the exact same manner.


In the benchmark folder, go under "Data" and run FFXIVWinBenchmark as administrator, if you haven't. (Not the original file)
Crashed the exact same way.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#101 Jul 06 2010 at 8:06 PM Rating: Decent
*
50 posts
Ok so my laptop has been on for a good 14 hours and I just ran the FFXIV benchmark on low and scored a 1749.
My systems specs are:
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
Intel Core2 Extreme CPU X9000 @2.8GHz
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT

I was just wondering if that would probably be playable on the absolute lowest settings. I stayed consistently at 28-32 fps with occasional rise to 48ish and spike to 15ish. I noticed there are shadows still on in the benchmark and most likely some anti-aliasing on both of which I know could lower fps a decent amount. So I was just wondering if I play in say, 720p, no anti-aliasing, no shadows, low textures, low everything. (Will be buying a desktop near Christmas on a budget around $1800-$2000 so I will be playing on the laptop for a couple of months).
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)