Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

One Stop Computer/Hardware ThreadFollow

#52 Jul 14 2010 at 10:40 PM Rating: Decent
**
672 posts
Teepu2 wrote:
I. Benchmark Score: 1988

II. Current Computer Specs:

Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
OS: Windows 7 64-bits

III. Upgrade/Build Budget:
500-600$


First step I'd suggest is your CPU.
____________________________
Skinned up knees and salty lips.
#53 Jul 14 2010 at 10:51 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
I was thinking about something like:

Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor 2.66 GHz - (225$)
That would mean I'd have to get a new MoBo as well, no?
Would that be good? Are there better/cheaper alternative?
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=43120&vpn=P7P55D%20PRO&manufacture=ASUS - (190$)

And while at it, a new video card:
XFX Radeon HD 5770 - (195$)

Would these upgrades be good? Compatible? Are there better deals out there?
#54 Jul 15 2010 at 5:50 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
sarsha2 wrote:
Doubt CPU plays a factor. Many reports indicate that people playing with beta, GPU is always 90+% and CPU at 40%.

CPU doesn't play a major factor in PC games for many many years (except FFXI, of course).
So the BG thread where two people with similar graphics cards but one having an i7-980x and the other having an i7-920, if the difference in performance ISN'T the processor, how did one with the slightly less powerful GPU but the i7-980x score ~3000 points above the other?
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#55 Jul 15 2010 at 7:26 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
RIDDER wrote:
Core 0 58
Core 1 50
Core 2 53
Core 3 51

Most things ive read up on OC say that using the torture test for my CPU to keep it below 65C. So according to that information (Intel gives this cpu a max temp of like 71.5C) i have room for to OC this more safely correct?


Yeah, but personally I wouldn't go above 60. Up to you.


RIDDER wrote:
Now obviously the lower voltage the CPU has to use the less heat it will produce. But how do i test at what point i need to stop lowering it? Just keep decreasing it in bios 1 notch at a time? And what will happen on boot when i reach the point of not enough voltage? Will it not boot? Or will something else happen?


You don't lower it. You increase it (to increase stability, less crashes), but only if you must. If it's too low, your CPU becomes unstable.

The trick is to get as high a clock speed as possible while having just enough voltage to keep your system from crashing AND below X degrees celcius.


RIDDER wrote:
Oh and another question, if i upgrade to DD3 Ram @2000 is that a huge difference in performance?


Nope.


____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#56 Jul 15 2010 at 7:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
RoxyKitty wrote:
Can someone help me figure out where my weakness is? Looking at the specs in the OP I would have thought my system was adequate. Computer is only 3 months old, would to think its defunct already. :/

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz 800MHz FSB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M 1GB
4GB of RAM.

On LOW I scored 1089 on the Benchmark. Any advice?


Your CPU and GPU are both weak. =/
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#57 Jul 15 2010 at 7:31 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
MisterRandy wrote:
One question. Even though I've been reading a lot of forum and checked a lot of the benchmark results, I can't seem to figure what kind of result a i7-920 with Ati HD5830 and/or HD 5770 with 6 GB RAM could gives. Sorry if it was said somewhere, still reading across the board.


For low settings, about 4000ish with a 5770. A bit higher with the 5830. OC your CPU to increase your benchmark performance quite significantly (again, on low).
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#58 Jul 15 2010 at 7:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Olorinus wrote:
Would it be worth buying this to upgrade? About how much would it cost for some betterish parts to do that? I am a total n00b at this stuff so any help would be appreciated. They are charging $400 Canadian for this.

- AMD 64X2 Dual Processor 2.7 Ghz
- 4GB RAM
- NVidia 7800GTX PCI-E Video Card 512MB (This is a dedicated 512MB PCI Express Video Card)



That system will NOT run the game. :(

If you're looking to buy a new system, expect to spend at LEAST 600 USD to run the game anywhere near a tolerant level.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#59 Jul 15 2010 at 7:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Radiozero wrote:
Ok so i went out and got a video card, a ATI RADEON HD 5750, and still got a low score.
my score was 1378....wtf!

Windows 7
CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40ghz, Buss speed is 266.3 mhz, and the FSB is 1065.3 MHz
MoBO: Intel board, one PCI-E slot.
RAM: 4GB DDR2 333mhz RAM.
GPU: ATI RADEON HD 5750

what do i do :(


Overclock your CPU and you should be able to get over 3000 on low.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#60 Jul 15 2010 at 7:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Teepu2 wrote:
I was thinking about something like:

Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor 2.66 GHz - (225$)
That would mean I'd have to get a new MoBo as well, no?
Would that be good? Are there better/cheaper alternative?
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=43120&vpn=P7P55D%20PRO&manufacture=ASUS - (190$)

And while at it, a new video card:
XFX Radeon HD 5770 - (195$)

Would these upgrades be good? Compatible? Are there better deals out there?


Looks good. Expect ~4000 on low on the benchmark.

Edit: A better alternative to the 5770 is the GTX 460 for about the same price.

Edited, Jul 15th 2010 8:45am by Threx
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#61 Jul 15 2010 at 10:27 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
743 posts
Teepu2 wrote:
I. Benchmark Score: 1988

II. Current Computer Specs:

Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
OS: Windows 7 64-bits

III. Upgrade/Build Budget:
500-600$


I wouldn't spend more than $200 upgrading a socket 775 system. If you can raise your budget to about $800, you can build a new system that's far superior to what you can do with $600 on your old machine. Ask yourself, "What benchmark score do I think I'll be happy with?" You might be able to get around 3000 on low res with a minor cpu/gpu upgrade. And a little overclocking can help, if you're up to it.
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#62 Jul 15 2010 at 11:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
43 posts
Benchmark score: 3073 on low setting.

My computer specs:

-Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit
-Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66ghz
-4gb RAM
-Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
-Asus P5Q deluxe Mobo

I'm fairly certain my GPU is what's holding me back most at this point. I've been thinking of upgrading to the GTX 460 or 470 depending on what I want to spend. Any ideas where an upgrade like that would put me on the benchmark?

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in this thread but ill add it anyway. Check to see what type of desktop background you are running. If it is an Aero desktop theme featured in windows vista or 7 disabling it can improve your score on the benchmark. Mine went up almost 350 after turning my Aero theme off. Although I must say my desktop isn't as good looking :(
#63 Jul 15 2010 at 11:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
MikejcSha wrote:
Benchmark score: 3073 on low setting.

My computer specs:

-Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit
-Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66ghz
-4gb RAM
-Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
-Asus P5Q deluxe Mobo

I'm fairly certain my GPU is what's holding me back most at this point. I've been thinking of upgrading to the GTX 460 or 470 depending on what I want to spend. Any ideas where an upgrade like that would put me on the benchmark?

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in this thread but ill add it anyway. Check to see what type of desktop background you are running. If it is an Aero desktop theme featured in windows vista or 7 disabling it can improve your score on the benchmark. Mine went up almost 350 after turning my Aero theme off. Although I must say my desktop isn't as good looking :(


GTX 460 is more than enough if you're planning on playing at 720p. Get a good cooler for your CPU and overclock it a bit. You'll get over 4000 on the benchmark EASILY.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#64 Jul 15 2010 at 1:55 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Quote:
That system will NOT run the game. :(

If you're looking to buy a new system, expect to spend at LEAST 600 USD to run the game anywhere near a tolerant level.


I know the system will not run the game. -laughs-

sorry to be a pest - the question was is it worth spending 400 bucks on these components AND then buying the parts and upgrading it? It looks like I would only have to upgrade the vid card and maybe the processor - but I don't know enough to know for sure.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#65 Jul 15 2010 at 2:06 PM Rating: Decent
*
195 posts
Quote:
You don't lower it. You increase it (to increase stability, less crashes), but only if you must. If it's too low, your CPU becomes unstable.

The trick is to get as high a clock speed as possible while having just enough voltage to keep your system from crashing AND below X degrees celcius.


Thanks, just what i was looking for

Edited, Jul 15th 2010 4:07pm by RIDDER
#66 Jul 15 2010 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
600 posts
Ok, below is what I am thinking on purchasing,(want to get starter items good to play the game, but with future upgradability).

What are thoughts on benchmark score, etc?

Motherboard:
Biostar MCP6P3 GeForce 6150 Socket AM3 mATX Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 6150/nForce 430 chipsets
Supports up to 8 GB DDR3 800/1066/1333 MHz dual channel memory

CPU:
AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX245OCGQBOX (just a starter hehe)
Memory:
At least 2gig to start
GPU:
XFX - ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card
OP System:
Probably Windows 7[/i

[i]Edited, Jul 15th 2010 4:33pm by jayfly

Changed the GPU to what I think is a better one than 4300 series

Edited, Jul 15th 2010 9:31pm by jayfly
____________________________

Quote:
Fiddle Faddle!

#67 Jul 15 2010 at 10:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Olorinus wrote:
Quote:
That system will NOT run the game. :(

If you're looking to buy a new system, expect to spend at LEAST 600 USD to run the game anywhere near a tolerant level.


I know the system will not run the game. -laughs-

sorry to be a pest - the question was is it worth spending 400 bucks on these components AND then buying the parts and upgrading it? It looks like I would only have to upgrade the vid card and maybe the processor - but I don't know enough to know for sure.


Oh sorry, misread the question hehe.

The only two things you'd really need to upgrade in that machine are the CPU and GPU. About another $300-$350 to upgrade those into a machine you can get 4000 on low on the benchmark. So you'll be paying a total of $700ish. Considering that system comes with a monitor too, I'd say it's not a bad deal at all.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#68 Jul 15 2010 at 10:58 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Quote:
Oh sorry, misread the question hehe.

The only two things you'd really need to upgrade in that machine are the CPU and GPU. About another $300-$350 to upgrade those into a machine you can get 4000 on low on the benchmark. So you'll be paying a total of $700ish. Considering that system comes with a monitor too, I'd say it's not a bad deal at all.


THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I was hoping this was the case.
#69 Jul 17 2010 at 6:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
551 posts
Quote:
My current setup is:

AMD Phenom 9550(quad) 2.20 GHz
6 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9100
Vista 64 bit
DirectX 11

And on the benchmark, I scored a 45. Obviously, I have the worst computer on here, but what I can I do to get myself up to spec? I was thinking of starting with the video card. I already know that, based on the minimum requirements, it's not going to work. Is there anything else I should be upgrading? Also, given how bad my computer is overall, does 6 GB of memory sound odd to anyone else? I mean, if my computer is this bad, surely I don't actually have 6 GB of RAM...

I know almost nothing about computers.

Did no one have a suggestion? I'm just trying to get myself up to where the game will run. My wife probably won't appreciate that this is going to be costly, so little by little, I plan on getting things upgraded.
____________________________
Terragon
Elvaan PUP|SCH|RDM
Siren Server
#70 Jul 17 2010 at 7:15 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
order wrote:
Quote:
My current setup is:

AMD Phenom 9550(quad) 2.20 GHz
6 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9100
Vista 64 bit
DirectX 11

And on the benchmark, I scored a 45. Obviously, I have the worst computer on here, but what I can I do to get myself up to spec? I was thinking of starting with the video card. I already know that, based on the minimum requirements, it's not going to work. Is there anything else I should be upgrading? Also, given how bad my computer is overall, does 6 GB of memory sound odd to anyone else? I mean, if my computer is this bad, surely I don't actually have 6 GB of RAM...

I know almost nothing about computers.

Did no one have a suggestion? I'm just trying to get myself up to where the game will run. My wife probably won't appreciate that this is going to be costly, so little by little, I plan on getting things upgraded.
Out of everything the geforce 9100 is sorely out of place. Funny that it'd come in that PC. It's essentially a non-gaming card (it's actually an onboard card on the mobo itself) at the bottom of the barrel for entry level GPUs from 2008.

Upgrade the card and get Windows 7 and you should be doing just fine.

Edited, Jul 17th 2010 8:17pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#71 Jul 17 2010 at 7:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
551 posts
Okay. I'll probably end up doing that. One last question: in my NVIDIA control panel, it says that I have "dedicated video memory: 256 MB". Is this different than the RAM required to run 14? The 6 GB number I listed previously came up when I ran dxdiag. What's the difference?
____________________________
Terragon
Elvaan PUP|SCH|RDM
Siren Server
#72 Jul 17 2010 at 7:43 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
6 Gb is the RAM for your system. Whenever you run any program, it has to load all of the data required to run it (more or less) successfully into RAM. Reason being is that RAM, while much smaller in size, is definitively faster than hard drives are when it comes to accessing and retrieving data. Think of it as your system's workspace, whereas the hard drive would be the file cabinet that holds everything else that you're saving but not necessarily using at the moment.

VRAM (Video RAM) is essentially the same thing, but dedicated solely to graphical applications (applying textures and shaders, drawing the framebuffer, etc) and only controlled from the GPU itself via directx or opengl drivers. The proximity of the dedicated RAM on the graphics card is crucial to providing the fastest possible response for graphical applications.

FFXIV has a pretty strict requirement of 512 MB VRAM or higher, evidenced by the fact that the benchmark would crash every time until I swapped cards to one that had enough VRAM. It should say somewhere near the model or name of the card how much VRAM it has, i.e.:

RADEON HD 5870 1GB DDR5 HDMI Graphics Card HD587XZNFC (1 Gb VRAM)



Edited, Jul 17th 2010 8:45pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#73 Jul 20 2010 at 6:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
22 posts
My build is:
Amd Athlon II X4 635@2.9Ghz
Radeon HD 5770
AM2+ Mobo with 4GB ddr2(800) ram

My scores:
High: 2502
Low: 3133

Well guess thats what I get for only spending 300bucks upgrading a comp that cost me around 400(3years ago). I refuse to spend more then needed if I can play FF on high default settings (based on beta benchmark). Which I am able to based on their scoring system

Edited, Jul 20th 2010 8:20pm by dooglee
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)