Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Dell E310 possible to upgrade for minimal?Follow

#1 Jul 11 2010 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
514 posts
I've been trying to do the best research I can, but lets face it, I'm not the brightest when it comes to computer tech talk. I'll start with my system specs:

Dell dimension E310
Windows XP Media Center SP3
Intel Pentium 4 521(socket 775 LGA)
CPU 2.80GHz
Chipset i915P/i915G
RAM DDR2 2Gig
FSB 800MHz
1 PCI: Intel Integrated(would like to replace.)
2 PCI: Linksys Wireless-G
1 PCI-Express(x1 I think)

Power Supply
DC Output 230W
Model No.:L230N-00

I bought this computer I think in 2005 before I even thought of using it for even light gaming. There are some games I am able to play like, Crossfire(MMOFPS), Taikodom, Trackmania United, and 10-day trial of WoW 2 years ago when I use to only had 512RAM with light lag in town.

At the moment, I can't even play the benchmark. When I hit play, a "Send Error Report" pops up shortly after the screen pops up. There are a few things I plan to upgrade if it's even worth it.

First and foremost, the processor which seems to be the more troubling hurdle. I don't know how true this is, but from what I've seen, Pentium 4 640 3.2GHz CPU is the highest I can go. Unless this is not true, could I get some advice.

also been looking at a few ATI/HIS Radeon HD 4350 cards. some advertising for PCI, others for PCI-e:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350322197472&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=2280df9c1200a03662a07e60fff4d6ef&itemid=350322197472&ff4=263602_263622

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-445.shtml

http://www.nextag.com/Radeon-HD-4350-H435F512H-677908823/prices-html

I also know, if I were to upgrade any of those, would have to upgrade my power supply. Figure 400W(ish) should suffice?

http://www.cputopia.com/hp-400w-dell-dimension-e310.html

I will also need to add a new hard drive if any of this is possible. was thinking of a 1TB HD which is actually on sale from the dell website.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/System_Drives/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3282677&mfgpid=167558&chassisid=8235

I'm on a low budget btw lol

Would like to get some time in while I wait for the PS3 release, if possible. If not, then I suppose I'll have to wait.
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#2 Jul 11 2010 at 7:09 PM Rating: Good
*
209 posts
With your power supply only being 230W I doubt there is much you can do. I am almost 100% sure dell uses a special power supply that only works on Dell PC's. Maybe you can contact them and see if they will sell you something around 400W+ but if they do most likely it will be expensive.

P.S. IDK how much of a budget your on but the other day I priced out a PC that would run the game on minium settings for around $420 and that was with out a OS.

Edited, Jul 11th 2010 9:12pm by TheBSTGuy
#3 Jul 11 2010 at 7:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
514 posts
I wrote:
I also know, if I were to upgrade any of those, would have to upgrade my power supply. Figure 400W(ish) should suffice?

http://www.cputopia.com/hp-400w-dell-dimension-e310.html


about $30-40

Edit:

Quote:
P.S. IDK how much of a budget your on but the other day I priced out a PC that would run the game on minium settings for around $420 and that was with out a OS.


I've actually been scrolling Craigslist for a used gaming PC that i could possibly refurbish lol

Edited, Jul 11th 2010 9:15pm by Demonadrastos
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#4 Jul 11 2010 at 7:24 PM Rating: Good
*
209 posts
Quote:
I've actually been scrolling Craigslist for a used gaming PC that i could possibly refurbish lol


$420 would get you a Athlon 2.8GHZ dual core, 2GB of ram, ATI 5770, 320GB hard drive and a 420W Power supply
#5 Jul 11 2010 at 7:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
514 posts
it's a very tempting, though I would like to see what's possible with my current computer before I buy a new system. Do you have a link I can bookmark?
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#6 Jul 11 2010 at 7:30 PM Rating: Good
*
209 posts
You would have to build it yourself but I can link you the parts list if you would like?
#7 Jul 11 2010 at 7:40 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Ill check it out =)
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#8 Jul 11 2010 at 8:06 PM Rating: Good
*
209 posts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156135 Case & Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136113 Hard Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135250 Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338 GPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148194 Ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681 CPU

I gave it a AMD AThlon 2 x2 3.0GHZ CPU and went with a 250GB hard drive to keep the price @ $422.95. You could just reuse your copy of windows XP and be good to go. Its a lot better the buying some one else used problem PC. I hope this helps.

P.S. I forgot a DVD rom http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135202 $16

Edited, Jul 11th 2010 10:10pm by TheBSTGuy

Edited, Jul 11th 2010 10:11pm by TheBSTGuy
#9 Jul 11 2010 at 8:10 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
XP was already installed when I bought it from Dell, but I never got a copy of the Windows CD
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#10 Jul 11 2010 at 8:13 PM Rating: Decent
*
209 posts
Quote:
XP was already installed when I bought it from Dell, but I never got a copy of the Windows CD
Well I could mail you my copy of XP I will never use it again and if you wanted to buy windows 7 its only $99.99 through newegg.

Edited, Jul 11th 2010 10:24pm by TheBSTGuy
#11 Jul 11 2010 at 8:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Demonadrastos wrote:
XP was already installed when I bought it from Dell, but I never got a copy of the Windows CD


You should have gotten a System Restore CD/DVD. This will contain your copy of Windows. At least, that's how Dell did it with my laptop.
#12 Jul 11 2010 at 8:23 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
XP is very downloadable, and usually for dell PCs you'll have a sticker somewhere on the case with a key on it.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#13 Jul 11 2010 at 8:25 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
Goblin in Disguise wrote:
You should have gotten a System Restore CD/DVD. This will contain your copy of Windows. At least, that's how Dell did it with my laptop.


Well if that's the case, then I should have that around here somewhere. I was thinking it would be on a separate CD.
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#14 Jul 11 2010 at 8:33 PM Rating: Good
bsphil wrote:
XP is very downloadable, and usually for dell PCs you'll have a sticker somewhere on the case with a key on it.


You know though, I don't think a valid XP key will work with every single XP copy (valid or not). Back when XP was first released I was working at CompUSA. I attended a Microsoft convention and got a free, full XP Pro install cd/key. Years and years later, I built my 2nd PC, and bought a 2nd copy of XP Pro. For one reason or another that I can't remember anymore, I had tried to use my 1st XP key on my 2nd XP install disk, and it would not accept it. I don't mean that I couldn't register it, I couldn't even get past the Windows setup with it.
#15 Jul 11 2010 at 9:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
413 posts
TheBSTGuy wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156135 Case & Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136113 Hard Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135250 Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338 GPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148194 Ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681 CPU

I gave it a AMD AThlon 2 x2 3.0GHZ CPU and went with a 250GB hard drive to keep the price @ $422.95. You could just reuse your copy of windows XP and be good to go. Its a lot better the buying some one else used problem PC. I hope this helps.

P.S. I forgot a DVD rom http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135202 $16

Edited, Jul 11th 2010 10:10pm by TheBSTGuy

Edited, Jul 11th 2010 10:11pm by TheBSTGuy



So I'm also thinking of building my own pc for thsi game. I'm really just curious about the case and the GPU. I don't know MUCH about quality and everything seemed pretty *cheap*. Now before I start ordering stuff, are those good buys? Like I don't want bare minimum and I don't want TOP OF THE LINE expensive either. I was totally willing to spend between $700-$900($1000 pushing it) on this PC. But if I can get PRETTY GOOD for cheaper, I'm all for it. Any suggestions? I'm favoriting all good parts... And I'm in LOVE with that tower fyi lol.
____________________________
FFXI:
Trazier-Lakshimi(Garuda) Server:
Tarutaru BLM75/DRG75/SMN60/RDM48/WHM45

Theonehio wrote:
PsylockePhoenix wrote:
I apoligize if it came off wrong, in my head it didnt sound argumentive.


You're on Allah, just posting can be turned into an argument.
#16 Jul 11 2010 at 10:17 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
bsphil wrote:
XP is very downloadable, and usually for dell PCs you'll have a sticker somewhere on the case with a key on it.


You know though, I don't think a valid XP key will work with every single XP copy (valid or not). Back when XP was first released I was working at CompUSA. I attended a Microsoft convention and got a free, full XP Pro install cd/key. Years and years later, I built my 2nd PC, and bought a 2nd copy of XP Pro. For one reason or another that I can't remember anymore, I had tried to use my 1st XP key on my 2nd XP install disk, and it would not accept it. I don't mean that I couldn't register it, I couldn't even get past the Windows setup with it.


OEM keys don't work with retail installers and vice versa. Commonly used and exploited volume license keys (FCKGW comes to mind) may have been disallowed for activation as well, but I'm not positive on this one.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#17 Jul 11 2010 at 10:20 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
TaruHunk wrote:
So I'm also thinking of building my own pc for thsi game. I'm really just curious about the case and the GPU. I don't know MUCH about quality and everything seemed pretty *cheap*. Now before I start ordering stuff, are those good buys? Like I don't want bare minimum and I don't want TOP OF THE LINE expensive either. I was totally willing to spend between $700-$900($1000 pushing it) on this PC. But if I can get PRETTY GOOD for cheaper, I'm all for it. Any suggestions? I'm favoriting all good parts... And I'm in LOVE with that tower fyi lol.


If you're looking for good or better performance, guidelines are to get AT LEAST a quad core processor and AT LEAST a Radeon 57XX or GeForce GTX 4XX. Don't settle for a 5600 or lower, don't settle for a GT/GTS don't settle for a dual core, or you're condemning yourself to low/minimum graphics.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#18 Jul 11 2010 at 10:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
413 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
TaruHunk wrote:
So I'm also thinking of building my own pc for thsi game. I'm really just curious about the case and the GPU. I don't know MUCH about quality and everything seemed pretty *cheap*. Now before I start ordering stuff, are those good buys? Like I don't want bare minimum and I don't want TOP OF THE LINE expensive either. I was totally willing to spend between $700-$900($1000 pushing it) on this PC. But if I can get PRETTY GOOD for cheaper, I'm all for it. Any suggestions? I'm favoriting all good parts... And I'm in LOVE with that tower fyi lol.


If you're looking for good or better performance, guidelines are to get AT LEAST a quad core processor and AT LEAST a Radeon 57XX or GeForce GTX 4XX. Don't settle for a 5600 or lower, don't settle for a GT/GTS don't settle for a dual core, or you're condemning yourself to low/minimum graphics.


Gotcha. This is my first time building so I'm gonna ask something really quick. A PC is simply a tower, power supply (those generally come with the tower right?), motherboard, GPU, HDD, Processor, CD Drives & Fans right? As far as hardware is concerned at least... I know I gotta buy Windows and whatever.
____________________________
FFXI:
Trazier-Lakshimi(Garuda) Server:
Tarutaru BLM75/DRG75/SMN60/RDM48/WHM45

Theonehio wrote:
PsylockePhoenix wrote:
I apoligize if it came off wrong, in my head it didnt sound argumentive.


You're on Allah, just posting can be turned into an argument.
#19 Jul 12 2010 at 3:31 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
That's pretty much it. But don't forget the ram. ;P
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#20 Jul 12 2010 at 9:23 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
413 posts
Sweet. Well everything seems inexpensive enough... minus the graphics card... lol. And I guess I gotta buy a moniter. Forgot about that. *d'oh* moment... lol
____________________________
FFXI:
Trazier-Lakshimi(Garuda) Server:
Tarutaru BLM75/DRG75/SMN60/RDM48/WHM45

Theonehio wrote:
PsylockePhoenix wrote:
I apoligize if it came off wrong, in my head it didnt sound argumentive.


You're on Allah, just posting can be turned into an argument.
#21 Jul 12 2010 at 9:39 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
TaruHunk wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
TaruHunk wrote:
So I'm also thinking of building my own pc for thsi game. I'm really just curious about the case and the GPU. I don't know MUCH about quality and everything seemed pretty *cheap*. Now before I start ordering stuff, are those good buys? Like I don't want bare minimum and I don't want TOP OF THE LINE expensive either. I was totally willing to spend between $700-$900($1000 pushing it) on this PC. But if I can get PRETTY GOOD for cheaper, I'm all for it. Any suggestions? I'm favoriting all good parts... And I'm in LOVE with that tower fyi lol.


If you're looking for good or better performance, guidelines are to get AT LEAST a quad core processor and AT LEAST a Radeon 57XX or GeForce GTX 4XX. Don't settle for a 5600 or lower, don't settle for a GT/GTS don't settle for a dual core, or you're condemning yourself to low/minimum graphics.


Gotcha. This is my first time building so I'm gonna ask something really quick. A PC is simply a tower, power supply (those generally come with the tower right?), motherboard, GPU, HDD, Processor, CD Drives & Fans right? As far as hardware is concerned at least... I know I gotta buy Windows and whatever.


I wrote up practically a dissertation on what parts come with what and hooking them all up properly, but can't seem to locate that post. Short version then:

Case, Motherboard, RAM, Processor, Video Card, Hard Drive, Power Supply, Optical Drive, OS, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers.
Some cases come with PSUs but the ones they come with are generally low end in terms of wattage, so just make sure that if you're buying a case with a PSU, that it has enough wattage.

Check here if you need to know.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#22 Jul 13 2010 at 1:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
413 posts
Hey, thanks Mikhalia!

But ummm... I just had a thought. Where do the Network cards go!? I just realized this is an online game and I'd like a wireless internet thing... lol. Does that come installed on the motherboard or is that separate?
____________________________
FFXI:
Trazier-Lakshimi(Garuda) Server:
Tarutaru BLM75/DRG75/SMN60/RDM48/WHM45

Theonehio wrote:
PsylockePhoenix wrote:
I apoligize if it came off wrong, in my head it didnt sound argumentive.


You're on Allah, just posting can be turned into an argument.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)