Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Microsoft Assaults FFXIV with a MaceFollow

#1 Jul 12 2010 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,102 posts
Source: http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/news/square-enix-microsoft-turned-final-fantasy-xiv-down--1018.html

Quote:
There has been much speculation about Final Fantasy XIV since its announcement at E3 2009. And more recently, Square Enix revealed that the game would not be appearing on the Xbox 360.

However, Hiromichi Tanaka, the game's director, has now announced that it was actually Microsoft who turned the game down - Square Enix wanted it to be on the Xbox 360. Slightly different to what he said just a few weeks ago.

According to the site, Microsoft only allowed Final Fantasy XI on Xbox Live because it was in its infancy. However, now it's more established, they don't need it and were categorically unwilling to deal with Square Enix over the use of Xbox Live. Because of this, the Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIV was cancelled, definitively.
____________________________
------------------
#2 Jul 12 2010 at 12:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
105 posts
microsoft have always been the ones against the idea from the begining, tanaka always wanted it to be on the xbox
#3 Jul 12 2010 at 12:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,102 posts
Same reason Champions Online was canceled off 360. Microsoft doesn't like MMO's that you can play without Gold membership. Which I don't really see the issue considering FFXIV wouldn't be using Microsoft's servers anyway.
____________________________
------------------
#4 Jul 12 2010 at 1:07 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
105 posts
I think the problem is, MS know that the kinda gamers that play MMO's usually stop buying other games because they get so sucked into the mmo, which means less software sales/less people buying marketplace content etc, and also with SE wanting silver subs to be able to play, it gives people less reason to switch to wanting a 'gold' subscription if they dont need one to play there MMO game, if that makes sense..thats my theory anyway
#5 Jul 12 2010 at 1:21 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
I would imagine that SE's subscription numbers have a bit to do with it.
#6 Jul 12 2010 at 2:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
I doubt it.

SE's subscription numbers should have nothing to do with a game that doesn't actually use any part of Microsoft's servers.

If this game hits it off on the console version, MS may do a 180 and try and run back to SE to get the game on their software as well. but i don't see this happening unless FFXIV's subscription numbers stay steady the first month, and then continue to rise. SE did good when they made FFXI to steadily gain in popularity as it went on, hopefully they can make the game work with things to do that are interesting to all levels of players.
#7 Jul 12 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,010 posts
Well that's the big piece of the puzzle though, right? It's not going to help them sell xboxes, and it's not going to help them sell subscriptions to xbox live, so what's the incentive for them to work with SE on this game? I don't see SE having a following in NA to really push out a lot of discs for the 360 version either, so M$'s potential to make any money on this endeavor is really, really slim. It would be far more work than it would be worth and I don't really blame them.

Sony has a different point of view since the Playstation is the console of choice in Japan, but here? Yea Microsoft is just running the numbers and they don't come out in SE's favor.

If the numbers were currently closer to WoW's numbers, perhaps they would be seeking SE out (like they actually did with Blizzard) and SE would be the ones turning THEM down (like Blizzard ultimately did).
#8 Jul 12 2010 at 2:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
602 posts
Ackers had it right from the very first sentence. There is no money in MMOs for a console developer such as Playstation 3 or Xbox 360. It's been proven by myself from personal experience and by a lot of people that play World of Warcraft, they don't go out and buy more PC games. They don't go out and buy that new game just released on PS3/X360. They will wait until later on when the price drops because the MMO takes most of their free time. Console makers/game developers lose a lot of revenue due to MMOs. There are a lot of low income players when it comes to MMOs. Even middle class players that play MMOs cut back on their software spending when playing a MMO.

MMOs are not profitable for consoles. It has and will always lose more sales overall. I've saved thousands. And it wasn't by switching to Geico....lol.

Edited, Jul 12th 2010 4:35pm by Excenmille
#9 Jul 12 2010 at 2:37 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
372 posts
Lets not forget that a majority of the updates and add-ons can be delivered FOC in an MMO. I'm sure it would hurt MS pockets if they don't get any commision for the sale of three additional maps.

/sarcasm off
#10 Jul 12 2010 at 2:59 PM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
Quote:

MMOs are not profitable for consoles. It has and will always lose more sales overall. I've saved thousands. And it wasn't by switching to Geico....lol.


While I may not completely agree with your argument, you definitely have a point. I'm not a PC gamer, I've always bought new RPGs once they came out. Even if they didn't get the best reviews, just to give them a try. Once I started playing FFXI that was over. Sadly I STILL haven't played FFXII even though I've had it since the midnight release!

Maybe the PS3 delay for FFXIV will give me some time to catch up on XII & XIII... Gotta find some bright side to it right?
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#11 Jul 12 2010 at 3:09 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
8,779 posts
Quote:
Which I don't really see the issue considering FFXIV wouldn't be using Microsoft's servers anyway.


i think microsoft just wants as much of a share of the cash flow as they can manage, whether that makes "sense" or not is irrelevant to them.
____________________________
Quote:
The thing about me is that apparently it's very hard to tell when I'm drunk. So I feel like I'm walking sideways on a UFO and everyone else sees me doing the robot like a pro.
- MojoVIII
i have bathed in the blood of many. my life was spent well.
feral druids do it on all fours.
The One True Prophet of Tonkism.

http://therewillbebrawl.com/
#12 Jul 12 2010 at 3:58 PM Rating: Good
***
1,457 posts
This kinda got me thinking.. since I started playing FFXI back in 2003 and then onto WoW, I have bought 1 console game this entire time. Before MMOs I would buy a new game every 2 weeks to a month or so. I have an entire bookshelf of console games I never play anymore. I've tried other MMOs in between FFXI and WoW such as WAR,Aion,AoC,Vanguard,LotR, all of which I purchased and still own but they just sit there in the box; long uninstalled on my PC. I think the only games I still play that are non mmo every year or so are DiabloII LoD, CS: Source, and Torchlight.. but very very seldom. FFXI and WoW just give me plenty to do and I rarely get bored. Oh and console games have a way of making me want to rage whereas in MMOs I can just go do something else if what I'm doing becomes frustrating (crafting,arena, helping a noob).

Edited, Jul 12th 2010 3:01pm by GuardianFaith
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#13 Jul 12 2010 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Quor wrote:
Quote:
Which I don't really see the issue considering FFXIV wouldn't be using Microsoft's servers anyway.


i think microsoft just wants as much of a share of the cash flow as they can manage, whether that makes "sense" or not is irrelevant to them.


Actually, I believe someone mentioned a few weeks back that it's the opposite of this. If a game is going to be hosted on XBL, then MS wants a certain amount of control of the servers the game is run on.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#14 Jul 12 2010 at 5:21 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
78 posts
Was to be expected, greedy ppl...

So, they refuse a great game because they do not agree in sharing the same servers with PS3 and PC players... xD just selfish.

This is why I will never buy a XBox360.. waste of money
#15 Jul 12 2010 at 5:23 PM Rating: Good
**
793 posts
Sorry to all those who were holding out for a 360 version...

... now go buy a PS3. You won't regret it. :D
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#16 Jul 12 2010 at 5:31 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
78 posts
:) I just wish the old PS3 were still on sale, the ones that can run PS2 games too, annoys me all this blue ray thing... if I want to watch a blue ray movie or something blue ray, I use my computer =/

xD My main goal is to play all FF games, since I missed some from Playstation 2.
#17 Jul 12 2010 at 7:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,311 posts
Could they even put it on xbox 360? 360 have half the memory that PS3 has, so how much worse is it going to look? Probubly better for SE to not put it on xbox anyway.
____________________________
Mariox - Quetzalcoatl
75 RDM/BST/PLD/SMN.
Excalibur Obtained
--Retired 2007
#18 Jul 12 2010 at 7:18 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Mariox wrote:
Could they even put it on xbox 360? 360 have half the memory that PS3 has, so how much worse is it going to look? Probubly better for SE to not put it on xbox anyway.
360 and ps3 have the same amount of RAM - 512 MB.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#19 Jul 12 2010 at 8:58 PM Rating: Good
*
214 posts
Didn't microsoft fail at E3 this year?
____________________________

#20 Jul 12 2010 at 9:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
764 posts
Quote:
Didn't microsoft fail at E3 this year?


Epicly.


Mind you I dislike microsoft and never plan to own a 360 (much less dont want to even see XIV on it) but..
For those saying no profit for microsoft...why don't they just stop selling single player games too then? I mean, those don't earn them gold memberships. Why wouldn't it sell consoles, or why does that matter if it just sells games? There's plenty of multi-platform games that sell on all systems. What would they lose from having XIV made for their system?
____________________________


#21 Jul 12 2010 at 9:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
602 posts
Silverwyrm wrote:
Quote:
Didn't microsoft fail at E3 this year?


Epicly.


Mind you I dislike microsoft and never plan to own a 360 (much less dont want to even see XIV on it) but..
For those saying no profit for microsoft...why don't they just stop selling single player games too then? I mean, those don't earn them gold memberships. Why wouldn't it sell consoles, or why does that matter if it just sells games? There's plenty of multi-platform games that sell on all systems. What would they lose from having XIV made for their system?


Microsoft and Sony make very little profit from console sales. Microsoft makes a ton of money off of Live/DLC/Games on their system because of small royalties and control over multi-player game servers. Sony makes money off of PSN+/Store/DLC/Games that advertise through PSN Network. Just was pointing out that someone playing an MMO pretty heavily usually does so without investing into any of the extras that Sony/Microsoft has to offer.

Edited, Jul 12th 2010 11:39pm by Excenmille
#22 Jul 13 2010 at 12:19 AM Rating: Good
*
108 posts
That Microsoft dismissed FFXIV without pause is not surprising. XBox Live is about as locked down and proprietary as an iPad, though arguably of greater value. They want things to be their way. They demand things to be their way. Controlling things is their game. It makes them money. Their dismissal of FFXIV has nothing to do with sales, and everything to do with control. The only developer willing to stand up to Microsoft seems to be VALVe. Let me tell you a story you might already know:

The XBox 360 version of Team Fortress 2 is gutted. They haven't had an update in over a year, and the reason is a part Microsoft's rigid pricing scheme: all DLC packages after the first MUST carry a cost. VALVe do not want to do this. They have released many updates that include new items for free for PC, and don't see why they should have to charge on XBox 360. They are the anti-Microsoft. They are also smart. They know that Microsoft will match anything Sony is doing, and will therefore release Portal 2 and presumably many other Source engine games on PS3. PSN has no rigid pricing scheme and VALVe won't have to charge for DLC. Microsoft will match this. The only way to beat Microsoft is to play ball with Sony.

What does all this have to do with FFXIV? Unfortunately nothing, because the servers are mixed platform. Microsoft hates the idea of servers not being in their control SO MUCH that it's likely no amount of money will sway them on this. They are Microsoft, you know. Controlling things is their game. It makes them money.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)