Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

A bit of concern, where are the advertisements?Follow

#1 Jul 14 2010 at 2:12 PM Rating: Good
*
209 posts
A bit of concern, where are the advertisements? I know that the hard core gamers have probably preorded the game already. But what about the casual ones? I am a little worried that the game releases in 2 months and I haven't seen a single advertisement!
#2 Jul 14 2010 at 2:20 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
SE has never been good with the advertising aspect of the industry. I personally think that's one reason why FFXI didn't hit it off more than it did since hardly anyone knew it was out there...heck, I didn't even know until it was time to buy it.
#3 Jul 14 2010 at 2:21 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
Guess they didn't learn their lesson from XI, or maybe they are hoping only the XI faithful hop on board and if there are bugs we'll stick it out.. post buggy days they advertise like crazy?

Seriously, I just think SE forgets you need to advertise in the West.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#4 Jul 14 2010 at 2:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
SE has always had a policy of letting their work speak for itself. It hasn't always been a good policy, but it is their policy. Honestly, it comes as no surprise that there hasn't been a peep about this game outside of game shows and fan sites. We might see a commercial or two a week before release, maybe.
#5 Jul 14 2010 at 3:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I remember commercials for XIII and X-2, among a few other SE games. They do air commercials sometimes but it is a little baffling that there has been so little attention to XIV. I'm going to hope that it's just because they're still working on it and will be hitting the air closer to release.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#6 Jul 14 2010 at 3:18 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I'm pretty sure I saw TV ads for FF13 on TV. I do remember ads for Chrono Trigger, back in the day.

It would be nice if they advertised XIV a bit; I'd love to see ads for it.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#7 Jul 14 2010 at 3:20 PM Rating: Good
Yogtheterrible wrote:
SE has never been good with the advertising aspect of the industry. I personally think that's one reason why FFXI didn't hit it off more than it did since hardly anyone knew it was out there...heck, I didn't even know until it was time to buy it.


No doubt. I was playing SWG when someone told me at work about the new Final Fantasy MMO coming out in like 3 or 4 days. I was like WHAT!?

And as others have pointed out, it's not as if SE doesn't advertise their games. I hope we see some media on XIV. I'd like for this game to have a nice longevity boost because of it.
#8 Jul 14 2010 at 3:23 PM Rating: Default
*
209 posts
Quote:
SE has always had a policy of letting their work speak for itself
To me thats being down right foolish, WOW has over 10 million players and FFXI at its peak had 500k. I wonder which is the better policy.....?
#9 Jul 14 2010 at 3:40 PM Rating: Good
***
3,811 posts
Every now and then I come across a commercial or Ad for a SE game. They are usually few and far in between though.

I actually remember the Chrono Trigger commercial(vaguely though). Really, I just remember it showing a clip of a boss doing his little eye beam attack. Wish I still had the game lying around somewhere...

____________________________

Quote:
The Path to **** is paved with good intentions.
#10 Jul 14 2010 at 4:05 PM Rating: Good
***
2,614 posts
Does anyone advertise games 2.5 months before release? That would be a massive waste of money.

FFXI was advertised quite a bit on TV after it released. I'm sure this will be promoted too.
#11 Jul 14 2010 at 4:08 PM Rating: Decent
**
672 posts
Borkachev wrote:
Does anyone advertise games 2.5 months before release? That would be a massive waste of money.

FFXI was advertised quite a bit on TV after it released. I'm sure this will be promoted too.


Agreed. It's getting some press, like E3 and such. The Collector's Edition is also the number 2 game on Amazon.(PC) It's on Gamestop's PC front page as well. I'm sure they'll add some banner ads, then televised ads as the date gets closer.
____________________________
Skinned up knees and salty lips.
#12 Jul 14 2010 at 4:09 PM Rating: Decent
*
209 posts
Quote:
Does anyone advertise games 2.5 months before release? That would be a massive waste of money.
If you want massive perorder sales you do. They should at the very least be advertising in gaming and PC magazines and on gaming websites!
#13 Jul 14 2010 at 4:52 PM Rating: Good
***
1,566 posts
From a marketing stand point, it's wise to wait until as close as possible to advertise. Advertising for anything with a release date has to be focused in a time frame near release to maximize the effect of market saturation.
Only die-hard fans are going to pre-order something three months away. Especially something like an MMO that still is being worked on. Most people will wait until a week before to pre-order if at all. In most cases, like with FFXIV, pre-orders are completely unnecessary unless you want the trinkets companies sometimes toss in, in which case you didn't need to be advertised to anyway. These days enough stores carry units that unless it has a Call of Duty/Halo/New hardware level of anticipation, you're bound to grab it on a shelf come release day.
To get back on point, though, it is far more cost effective to focus advertising closer to the release date so that it can be constant enough up to and beyond the release date without people getting bored with the same old commercial and early enough that people can, if they choose, pre-order in a comfortable time frame without forgetting about it.
#14 Jul 14 2010 at 6:06 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
TheBSTGuy wrote:
Quote:
SE has always had a policy of letting their work speak for itself
To me thats being down right foolish, WOW has over 10 million players and FFXI at its peak had 500k. I wonder which is the better policy.....?


To be fair, Blizzard doesn't even advertise WoW as a product. They advertise it as "We have this thing everyone else is doing it. Why aren't you doing it? All your friends will make fun of you. Have a free trial." WoW commercials are less than 5% "sh*t you can do in WoW" and the other 95% "This celebrity plays WoW. Look at how much fun we paid him to tell you he's having."

Kyoshindi wrote:
Every now and then I come across a commercial or Ad for a SE game. They are usually few and far in between though.

I actually remember the Chrono Trigger commercial(vaguely though). Really, I just remember it showing a clip of a boss doing his little eye beam attack. Wish I still had the game lying around somewhere...


Without being able to name anything that would result in you downloading any sort of program... There are options you might consider.

Edited, Jul 14th 2010 8:07pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#15 Jul 14 2010 at 6:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
209 posts
Quote:
To be fair, Blizzard doesn't even advertise WoW as a product. They advertise it as "We have this thing everyone else is doing it. Why aren't you doing it? All your friends will make fun of you. Have a free trial." WoW commercials are less than 5% "sh*t you can do in WoW" and the other 95% "This celebrity plays WoW. Look at how much fun we paid him to tell you he's having."
If it works it works and WOW has 10 millions reasons why it works!
#16 Jul 14 2010 at 6:16 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
TheBSTGuy wrote:
Quote:
To be fair, Blizzard doesn't even advertise WoW as a product. They advertise it as "We have this thing everyone else is doing it. Why aren't you doing it? All your friends will make fun of you. Have a free trial." WoW commercials are less than 5% "sh*t you can do in WoW" and the other 95% "This celebrity plays WoW. Look at how much fun we paid him to tell you he's having."
If it works it works and WOW has 10 millions reasons why it works!


All that proves is that people will buy whatever you tell them their friends are buying. It's hard to sell a product that doesn't even exist yet on the premise that "All of your friends are buying it". More than half of that ten million are Chinese, too; a lot of people really like to say "zomg it has 10 million players" when more than half of them are playing a modified version of the game that is only available in their country, because their facist government won't let them play the real game.

So tell me, given that we've proven through advertising that people are culturally sheep who buy what everyone else is buying, wear what everyone else is wearing, and eat what everyone else is eating, how do you pitch a sale to these people for a product that doesn't exist? "Everyone else is preordering it"?

I'm not saying that this form of advertising is ineffective (it's not) or that SE shouldn't be advertising (they should) but peer pressure advertising only works if all of your friends ACTUALLY ARE buying/using the product.

Edited, Jul 14th 2010 8:18pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#17 Jul 14 2010 at 6:24 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
76 posts
Ya the advertisement is well horrible. Typically I wouldn't of even bothered to look up any info. on FF14 until the summer of 2011, because thats when I would of assumed the next FF game would have some decent info released on the internet, and I of course had no clue that they where coming out with a new MMO until yesterday. Only reason I even know about the game is because I saw some news blurb go across the top of my PS3 screen. Now I guess you could call that advertisement, but lol if you have seen the picture they give and what not, well you would laugh too. I mean if the only adverstising your gonna do is on ps3 then atleast make a attempt to do something. All thats on there is a horrible and I mean horrible jpeg image (its just a plain white pic that says ff xiv and I just cant explain how bad it looks and I'm pretty sure it said nothing about the game, just the horrible image and then Final Fantasy XIV written next to it. If you actually take the time to goto it, it turns out to be a video trailer for the game. I honestly was not even gonna go look at it at first because the picture was so bad in the advertisement that I didn't think it was a game or anything it looked like one of those images that you would see if they made a corny trivia game or something lol. Anyhow sorry about the rant, just really hard to explain how bad this advertisement really was without being able to show it.

Good news is, I was bored, I did click on it, and I have pre-ordered the game. Allthough the lack of info. is very odd, I mean i've seen more info. about a new mmo when its 2 years before launch, and this is 2 months from launch and I don't know anything about the game except that the models of the characters are gonna be basically the same and theres gonna be no experience in the traditional term. I used to get all games that I think could be good right away (pre-order) but after the huge list of recent flops I dunno, gonna have to keep me eye open and see how this unfolds in case I wanna cancel the pre-order which I will if there is no decent info about the game released before its launched. Wasted enough money on vanguard, warhammer, AoC, etc. collectors edition at $100 a pop just to end up with a pile of crap =)
#18sarsha2, Posted: Jul 14 2010 at 7:00 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Not sure if comparing FFXI to WOW is fair.
#19 Jul 14 2010 at 7:02 PM Rating: Decent
*
209 posts
Quote:

I'm not saying that this form of advertising is ineffective (it's not) or that SE shouldn't be advertising (they should) but peer pressure advertising only works if all of your friends ACTUALLY ARE buying/using the product.
I never said they should do the "Me too" type of advertising that WOW does. But at least get your name out there and let the people know about your product. Last month they started advertising the new Call of Duty and its not even due until November. Why? Because they want the game to sell in the millions and guess what it will!
#20 Jul 14 2010 at 7:04 PM Rating: Default
*
209 posts
Quote:
The level of commitment to play FFXI is pretty high. The player base are in different segment, so to speak. Marketing effectiveness depends on who you are marketing to...
FFXI has around 250k players right now I wouldn't call that commitment!
#21 Jul 14 2010 at 7:06 PM Rating: Excellent
**
672 posts
TheBSTGuy wrote:
Quote:
The level of commitment to play FFXI is pretty high. The player base are in different segment, so to speak. Marketing effectiveness depends on who you are marketing to...
FFXI has around 250k players right now I wouldn't call that commitment!


I think you missed the point entirely.
____________________________
Skinned up knees and salty lips.
#22 Jul 14 2010 at 7:10 PM Rating: Default
*
209 posts
Quote:
I think you missed the point entirely.
No I didnt miss your point what your saying is if a person plays FFXI then they tend to be more commited then a person play WOW.

Edited, Jul 14th 2010 9:11pm by TheBSTGuy
#23 Jul 14 2010 at 7:12 PM Rating: Good
Mikhalia wrote:
TheBSTGuy wrote:
Quote:
SE has always had a policy of letting their work speak for itself
To me thats being down right foolish, WOW has over 10 million players and FFXI at its peak had 500k. I wonder which is the better policy.....?


To be fair, Blizzard doesn't even advertise WoW as a product. They advertise it as "We have this thing everyone else is doing it. Why aren't you doing it? All your friends will make fun of you. Have a free trial." WoW commercials are less than 5% "sh*t you can do in WoW" and the other 95% "This celebrity plays WoW. Look at how much fun we paid him to tell you he's having."



Mik, if SE reads this and takes this advice to heart, then, suddenly, Hellsguard Mohawks pop up in the game, I'm going to have to kill you. Smiley: wink
#24 Jul 14 2010 at 7:17 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
TheBSTGuy wrote:
Quote:
SE has always had a policy of letting their work speak for itself
To me thats being down right foolish, WOW has over 10 million players and FFXI at its peak had 500k. I wonder which is the better policy.....?


To be fair, Blizzard doesn't even advertise WoW as a product. They advertise it as "We have this thing everyone else is doing it. Why aren't you doing it? All your friends will make fun of you. Have a free trial." WoW commercials are less than 5% "sh*t you can do in WoW" and the other 95% "This celebrity plays WoW. Look at how much fun we paid him to tell you he's having."



Mik, if SE reads this and takes this advice to heart, then, suddenly, Hellsguard Mohawks pop up in the game, I'm going to have to kill you. Smiley: wink


I own a decent collection of replica weaponry; swords, daggers, that sort of thing. If such a thing were to come to pass, you may have your pick of which you'd prefer to use. Just make it quick.

Although, I must admit that the idea of Orlando Bloom in a FFXIV commercial playing an Elezen Ranger does strike me amusing. Doubly amusing that the name "Legolas" will long have been taken on any server.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#25 Jul 14 2010 at 7:18 PM Rating: Decent
*
216 posts
I've not seen any ads for FFXIV, but SE has given a lot of interviews, and has had gaming news sites try the game out and write up their previews/hands on impressions.

It seems like they're just trying to get the name out there for now. They know anyone interested in "Final Fantasy" will likely seek out more information when they hear of FF14.

I remember seeing FF13 ads on various sites around the time it released, so it will probably be the same with this. Mid-late August gaming sites will probably start getting skinned in FFXIV themes, complete with banner ads and roll-over flash videos. But until the NDA lifts I don't expect to see much of that.
#26 Jul 14 2010 at 7:26 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
theweenie wrote:
I've not seen any ads for FFXIV, but SE has given a lot of interviews, and has had gaming news sites try the game out and write up their previews/hands on impressions.

It seems like they're just trying to get the name out there for now. They know anyone interested in "Final Fantasy" will likely seek out more information when they hear of FF14.

I remember seeing FF13 ads on various sites around the time it released, so it will probably be the same with this. Mid-late August gaming sites will probably start getting skinned in FFXIV themes, complete with banner ads and roll-over flash videos. But until the NDA lifts I don't expect to see much of that.


Oh please no... if there's anything that will convince me to NOT buy a product, it's a roll-over flash video ad.

Thankfully, that's what AdBlock is for, but I can't imagine I'm the only one that hates expandable rollover ads.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#27 Jul 14 2010 at 7:57 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
76 posts
Actually thats a good point, why would they bother advertising now, when there is in fact almost nothing to advertise. I mean the official information that exists for the game is basically just the name lol. They have no need to advertise FF14 with no info. about it, because only hardcore fans are gonna buy a game just based on a name. Anyhow don't expect any advertising until there is something to advertise. Wouldn't make sense to see a comercial for the game now, go and look up info about that game and find nothing, and then chances are unless your a fan your never gonna look again no matter how much they advertise it because last time I went and looked there was nothing there =)
#28 Jul 14 2010 at 8:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:

Mik, if SE reads this and takes this advice to heart, then, suddenly, Hellsguard Mohawks pop up in the game, I'm going to have to kill you.


Ahahaha... he had better start running...

Really, it's not his fault.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#29 Jul 14 2010 at 8:40 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
TheBSTGuy wrote:
Quote:
To be fair, Blizzard doesn't even advertise WoW as a product. They advertise it as "We have this thing everyone else is doing it. Why aren't you doing it? All your friends will make fun of you. Have a free trial." WoW commercials are less than 5% "sh*t you can do in WoW" and the other 95% "This celebrity plays WoW. Look at how much fun we paid him to tell you he's having."
If it works it works and WOW has 10 millions reasons why it works!


I don't believe WoW really advertised on tv before release. I don't remember seeing tv ads for WoW until several years in. The same is true for almost all MMOs. They tend to use fansites, community sites, word of mouth, and sometimes some gaming magazines (I've played most major MMOs, and have been since 1999).
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#30 Jul 14 2010 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
*
209 posts
Quote:
Actually thats a good point, why would they bother advertising now, when there is in fact almost nothing to advertise. I mean the official information that exists for the game is basically just the name lol. They have no need to advertise FF14 with no info. about it, because only hardcore fans are gonna buy a game just based on a name. Anyhow don't expect any advertising until there is something to advertise. Wouldn't make sense to see a comercial for the game now, go and look up info about that game and find nothing, and then chances are unless your a fan your never gonna look again no matter how much they advertise it because last time I went and looked there was nothing there =)


They have trailers, why not use that info to advertise the game? Personally and this is just me I think they are keeping everything hush hush because they are trying to see how much they can get finished before they release the game. I bet their stock share holders are pushing them to release the game. FFXI is in a slump right now and its only getting worse. FFXIII sold well but nothing like COD or GTA, the share holders are probably telling them its time to shake the money tree on FFXIV.
#31 Jul 14 2010 at 8:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
35 posts
Quality over quantity.
Take WoW for example. Since the player base is so big, the game's full of both good and bad players. However, with a small and dedicated community, players tend to create better bonds with each other, making a better community overall.

In my humble opinion, I'd much rather have the same type of player base FFXI has.

Edited, Jul 14th 2010 11:03pm by Skibit
#32 Jul 14 2010 at 9:05 PM Rating: Default
*
209 posts
Quote:
In my humble opinion, I'd much rather have the same type of player base FFXI have.
Not me because that means you get crap for updates, these mini expansions SE is craming down the FFXI couminity is a joke. Where Blizzard is totaly over hauling WOW. I would much rather have more players to have nice updates!
#33 Jul 14 2010 at 9:32 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
TheBSTGuy wrote:
Quote:
In my humble opinion, I'd much rather have the same type of player base FFXI have.
Not me because that means you get crap for updates, these mini expansions SE is craming down the FFXI couminity is a joke. Where Blizzard is totaly over hauling WOW. I would much rather have more players to have nice updates!


Took me a bit to find this post...

Mikhalia wrote:
World of Warcraft came out November 2004 with BC in January 2007 (2 years and 2 months) and LK in November 2008 (1 year, 11 months) with Cataclysm pegged for later this year (assuming October, that's 1 year and 11 months again).

FFXI came out May 2002 with Zilart in April 2003 (9 months), Chains of Promathia in September 2004 (1 year, 5 months), ToAu in April 2006 (1 year, 7 months) and Wings of the Goddess in Nov 2007 (1 year, 7 months).

So ALL of FFXI's expansions have been released faster than WoW (with 20x the players) on top of content patches every 1-3 months, and WITHOUT taking their servers down one day a week, EVERY week.

I think this proves pretty definitively that with under half a million players, SE can STILL put out expansions faster than Blizzard can with 10 million. And considering WoW is -FAR- better known for an ADHD "I need new stuff now or I get bored" playerbase than FFXI is, that's saying something.

So yeah. 400-500k users is fine with me.


FFXI has been out for 8 years and has produced 4 full expansions and three mini ones. Let's count all three minis as one expansion and say that in 8 years, we have gotten 5 expansions, or one expansion per 8/5 year; approximately every 19 months.

WoW has been out for SIX years (2004-2010) and is on the verge of their third expansion, averaging one expansion per two years. Conversely, at only FIVE years after its release (2002-2007), FFXI already had four.

So explain to me how having way way more players means WoW has way way more content?

If you want to claim that WoW has 10 million players and FFXI has 250k, then they have 40x the amount of players. By that logic, they should have had one hundred expansions. By that logic, if FFXI gets a patch every 2-3 months, WoW should get one approximately every week and a half.

Edited, Jul 14th 2010 11:34pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#34 Jul 14 2010 at 10:37 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
Owned





Sorry couldn't resist.



____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#35 Jul 14 2010 at 10:43 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,811 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Kyoshindi wrote:
Every now and then I come across a commercial or Ad for a SE game. They are usually few and far in between though.

I actually remember the Chrono Trigger commercial(vaguely though). Really, I just remember it showing a clip of a boss doing his little eye beam attack. Wish I still had the game lying around somewhere...


Without being able to name anything that would result in you downloading any sort of program... There are options you might consider.



What I meant to say was, I wish I still had the cartridge... Smiley: grin

Edited, Jul 15th 2010 12:44am by Kyoshindi
____________________________

Quote:
The Path to **** is paved with good intentions.
#36 Jul 14 2010 at 10:53 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Kyoshindi wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
Kyoshindi wrote:
Every now and then I come across a commercial or Ad for a SE game. They are usually few and far in between though.

I actually remember the Chrono Trigger commercial(vaguely though). Really, I just remember it showing a clip of a boss doing his little eye beam attack. Wish I still had the game lying around somewhere...


Without being able to name anything that would result in you downloading any sort of program... There are options you might consider.



What I meant to say was, I wish I still had the cartridge... Smiley: grin

Edited, Jul 15th 2010 12:44am by Kyoshindi


Fair enough; can't fault you there.

I've still got nearly all of my old NES/SNES cartridges. I just find it much easier to sit in my computer room adn play them, given that the cables don't quite reach my couch and I'd have to sit on teh floor in the Living Room.

Still, I don't mind sitting on the floor every once in a while. Playing NES/SNES games with a Playstation controller (I have a playstation to USB adapter) is somewhat weird at points.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#37 Jul 14 2010 at 10:53 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
it is hard to understand why every post in these forums - save the posts about computer specs, that is - tends to descend into an argument of WoW vs FFXI.

They are totally different games with a different feel. I tried WoW and played it for a month without one positive in-game interaction with another PC. Within a couple weeks of playing FFXI I had been exposed to lots of fun grouping experiences.

It all comes down to preferences... I played FFXI for years and never got to level 75 - but I didn't -need- to max a job to play the game - I had a great time trying out different jobs and building relationships and exploring the world.

WoW is for people who want a different experience, I guess. From people I spoke to, it seemed like the game didn't really start till you maxed levels. Which is fine, but I don't like that style of play - I prefer to just, well, play.

As for content, I never saw it all. So, there was enough for me. I didn't play all day and all night, but I have a full-time job and a girlfriend who has no interest in videogames. Maybe the trouble is it really isn't worth it for any company to time expansions to please the type of people who will gobble an expansion down in no time flat.

Also - it should be noted FFXI did advertise - I found out about it from a billboard in city. They didn't advertise till after the NA PC release, however... at least not in any way I saw.

I am not too worried about FFXIV. I'd like it to succeed - and the stuff I've dug up here and there looks really promising so far. I think it makes sense to do the advertising push after the release date. I know those first day numbers are important and everything - the immediate sales thing... but it also seems to make sense to have players join the game in waves - not just one big honking gob on release day. I am guessing that is part of the reason for the early release with the collectors edition... but then I don't know much about these things.

Myself, I plan to preorder - but I don't plan on starting the game till a week or so into october. I'll take a week or so off of work and really glut myself on it - and then go to casual gaming. My biggest hopes are that FFXIV is as fun to play in a horizontal way as FFXI was - and that people will be less prescriptive about how jobs should be played.


#38 Jul 14 2010 at 10:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
216 posts
Actually, I just came back from vacation in Japan, and I did see quite a lot of stores in the Akihabara region of Tokyo playing the FFXIV official trailer right at the entrances (on very nice screens too) over and over. I guess the advertising just doesn't happen overseas very much (at least, not yet it seems).
____________________________
Lodestone Profile: Kainase Tyrosin (Besaid)
LS:
#39 Jul 14 2010 at 11:18 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Olorinus wrote:
it is hard to understand why every post in these forums - save the posts about computer specs, that is - tends to descend into an argument of WoW vs FFXI.


The line of logic that leads to the "FFXI vs WoW" thing is as follows:

- Blizzard tells us that WoW has 10 million players.
- WoW is extremely popular.
- Because WoW is popular, it must therefore be good, because if it were bad, it would not be popular.
- I want to play a good game.
- Because WoW does X and WoW is popular, and therefore good, doing X makes a game popular, and therefore good.
- If FFXIV does not do X, it will not be popular (because WoW does X and WoW is popular)
- Therefore, if FFXIV does not have X, FFXIV will be bad.

The argument part comes in when FFXI players claim that they enjoyed FFXI, despite the fact that FFXI did not do X.

This is countered by someone saying that WoW "is better" because it is more popular, and the fact that FFXI does not do X proves it is therefore a bad game. This is then augmented by saying that the proof that people enjoy X is that "everyone plays WoW, and WoW has X, therefore everyone who plays WoW enjoys X" and this "X makes a game popular; not X makes a game unpopular, and therefore bad."

This is occasionally supplemented by the (also faulty) logic that "WoW is successful and WoW is popular, therefore the only way to have a successful game is to be as popular as WoW", which leads to "If your game is not as popular as WoW, it is unsuccessful, and therefore a bad game and not worth playing", coupled with "Therefore, if you want to be a success, you will need to be popular, and the only way to be popular is to have X, because WoW has X and WoW is popular, and therefore successful."

All of that is terribly full of holes, because some people cannot wrap their minds around the concept of "How can someone possibly enjoy a game without X?" or "How can someone enjoy playing a game unless EVERYONE is ALSO playing that game?" This usually stems from the logic of "This is an MMORPG and I want to play with a lot of people", combined with "10 million people is a lot of people", therefore "I want this game to have 10 million players, otherwise it will not have a lot of people, and therefore I will not have fun playing it" (Despite the fact that you'll never actually meet 95% of those million players ANYWAY, but I digress).

Bottom line, different people like different things. Some people just can't grasp the concept that "Just because WoW has X, does NOT mean that FFXIV -also- needs X". The failure to grasp this concept is what sparks the arguments.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#40 Jul 14 2010 at 11:37 PM Rating: Good
30 posts
<<< Played FFXI for the first 2 years of its U.S. release (through CoP) >>>

<<< Played WoW for 4 1/2 years (Nearly its entire lifespan) >>>

Single greatest regret on those 6 1/2 years was quitting FFXI. Basically, I never came back b/c I couldn't schedule my life around HNMs, and since WoW raids are instance-based, I could find groups that matched my time schedule as opposed to trying to match an in-game time schedule to my life.

In retrospect, there were sooooo many more things I could've done in FFXI other than just HNM hunting, but during the first couple years, those things were very limited. I remember when killing Serket was a top-tier achievement, but I"m sure that sounds funny to any serious FFXI players at this point. I'm sure they've added wwwwaayyy harder content.

WoW appeals to the lowest common denominator. They've watered it down to make it easy for the masses to swallow. Anybody can jump in, max out their level, and get high-end equipment, blah blah blah. Contrary to popular belief, there's been a mass exodus of serious WoW players over the last expansion for this very reason. My guild of 3 1/2 years split over this. Literally, 20 of our core members finished the xpac's final raid just to say we did it, and the next week cancelled our subscriptions. We've kept in contact, and almost none of us have gone back to playing. I know of dozens of other top-tier guilds who have gone through the same thing.

It would be AMAZING if FFXIV is really popular, because that means there will be a large pool of players and a solid foundation of support to keep the game going long term. But that has its drawbacks. FFXI's time-consumption level does not equal difficulty however. It's just a barrier to keep only those players who really care about the game playing.

There's a middle ground somewhere between WoW's ridiculously horrible player base of ratards and FFXI small but hardcore time-devoted audience, and from everything I've read, SE is aiming at that middle ground.
#41 Jul 15 2010 at 12:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
53 posts
Many good points.

I hope they reduce the time consuming part and keep the challenging content.

Example will be assault. You gather few friends, teleport instantly from town, do a 30 minutes mission.

Quick, fun, challenging, rewarding, team building, friends building.

Sounds like the whole guildleves thing is essentially assault in the open world. I would imagine high level leves will be more confined, more planned, and more difficult, and will be just like assault.

Things that they improved that will make FF14 more enjoyable:

1. Cut down travel time.

Exploring is cool, but after awhile, traveling is plain waste of time...
With the teleports, no more spending 20 minutes going to X. No more waiting on airship to go to town X to buy ingredients to craft, etc...

2. Cut down wait for party time.

Reduce need to be find a group with specific size and level range.

3. Cut down wait for event time

Don't know how much time is indirectly wasted by waiting x hours to pass so we can finally enter Dynamis, Limbus, or can't enter location X because some other group is in there.
Instancing will eliminate this.

Overall very happy on what they have changed in FF14, learning from mistakes they made in FF11.
#42 Jul 15 2010 at 12:43 AM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
I saw the ads for the xbox version of 13 a lot. Though, looking at the ad itself, you wouldn't even have known what the **** it was unless you already knew about the game.

If they want people outside their already established fan base they need to advertise more and quit being so **** vague in their advertisements.

Oh, look, some weird chick with pink hair jumping around blowing **** up, what the **** is this?
#43 Jul 15 2010 at 12:45 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
Really good products don't need ads.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#44 Jul 15 2010 at 1:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
74 posts
Best ADVERTISING is one player telling another about FFXIV and hooking that player up. And best of all this form of advertising is completely free :)
____________________________
You're never gonna feel You're never gonna heal
You're never gonna know what's fake or real
'Til you know who you are
You're lying to your face And running in a race
You're never gonna win 'til you find your place
And you know who you are
#45 Jul 15 2010 at 1:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
602 posts

Square Enix doesn't have to advertise. Cataclysm will do it for them.
#46 Jul 15 2010 at 8:59 AM Rating: Good
**
394 posts
There will be a commercial. One. It won't be memorable, just a really short version of the old trailer.
#47 Jul 15 2010 at 5:28 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Yeah; if they have any commercials at all, it will just be a trailer.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#48 Jul 15 2010 at 8:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
611 posts
I remember seeing billboards in Vancouver prior to the release of FFXI. Perhaps there will be something similar?
____________________________
FFXI Ronyn RDM 75 (R.I.P.) -Fairy / BarretJax 95 MNK (Non-Active) - Asura
Ronin Olorin / Ronyn Oloryn (Active) - Ultros Server

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
#49 Jul 15 2010 at 8:52 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
oh I saw those billboards too... were they before? I guess I wasn't really paying attention to release dates...
#50 Jul 15 2010 at 8:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
611 posts
They were probably about a month before and it was up for approx. 2 after. Traffic is lousy in Van so I always take back-roads to get to downtown. Thats were I saw it. Not the best real-estate thats for sure.
____________________________
FFXI Ronyn RDM 75 (R.I.P.) -Fairy / BarretJax 95 MNK (Non-Active) - Asura
Ronin Olorin / Ronyn Oloryn (Active) - Ultros Server

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 12 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (12)