Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Tanaka & Komoto Discuss Themes & GoalsFollow

#1 Jul 15 2010 at 2:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
641 posts
Game Entertainment conducted a "Key Person Interview" with key people Hiromichi Tanaka and Nobuaki Komoto. The interview revolved around their goals regarding their newest MMO, and the themes it is based on. They had a lot to say, so let's get right into it.

Readme.lnk
____________________________
JPButton | Twitter
#2 Jul 15 2010 at 2:22 AM Rating: Excellent
**
411 posts
Quote:
-- Lastly, do you have a message for those people thinking of purchasing the game?

Komoto: People looking to have fun with the game just need to take a spin through the character creator.


It would be nice if they would release the character creator so everyone can get some hands on time with it. Not only would it give long time fans a little taste of the game, it would also encourage new players to buy the game (as Komoto seems to think it would).
#3 Jul 15 2010 at 2:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
641 posts
That's exactly what I was thinking. Something to ask for if these guys come to Gamescom.
____________________________
JPButton | Twitter
#4 Jul 15 2010 at 2:48 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Looks very promising. Nice to here that they have a lot planned while still leaving room for player feedback.
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#5 Jul 15 2010 at 2:56 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
239 posts
Quote:
It would be nice if they would release the character creator so everyone can get some hands on time with it.


Agreed. I know I would try it out constantly until the game released haha.
____________________________
Survivor of the Twinkling Treant - 2003
FFXI - Cerberus - 99 PUP, 75 BST-RDM-BLU
FFXIV - Besaid -> Balmung - 9/23/10

#6 Jul 15 2010 at 4:31 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Ravida wrote:
Quote:
-- Lastly, do you have a message for those people thinking of purchasing the game?

Komoto: People looking to have fun with the game just need to take a spin through the character creator.


It would be nice if they would release the character creator so everyone can get some hands on time with it. Not only would it give long time fans a little taste of the game, it would also encourage new players to buy the game (as Komoto seems to think it would).


Man I would love this. I've been dying to check out the Roegadyn character creation options, but because of the Lalafell craze and the lust for Mi'Qote, I've not found any info yet.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#7 Jul 15 2010 at 4:52 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
255 posts
Character creation is something I'm looking forward to as well.

Just think after pressing that "Accept" button that's the **** you may be staring at for the next few years... sheesh, better make it a good ****. Oh god, there's too much pressure, can't I just have no **** at all?
____________________________
[img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/15834_3d32ad424a3db4b1.png[/img]
#8 Jul 15 2010 at 5:22 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
I'm going to spend hours getting lost on character creation mode............ There goes the first day of the gameplay
#9 Jul 15 2010 at 8:34 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
18 posts
Quote:

Man I would love this. I've been dying to check out the Roegadyn character creation options, but because of the Lalafell craze and the lust for Mi'Qote, I've not found any info yet.



Here is a little of the roegadyn creator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E79knKNCLI&feature=related

____________________________
Begin at the beginning
and go on till you come to the end:
then stop.
#10 Jul 15 2010 at 8:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
Quote:
Quote:
-- Lastly, do you have a message for those people thinking of purchasing the game?

Komoto: People looking to have fun with the game just need to take a spin through the character creator.

It would be nice if they would release the character creator so everyone can get some hands on time with it. Not only would it give long time fans a little taste of the game, it would also encourage new players to buy the game (as Komoto seems to think it would).
This
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#11 Jul 15 2010 at 1:50 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
I'm pretty sure he just said that instanced zones are out!

It's hard to beleive that they could be making decisions (or changing their mind) like this so close to release. I suppose they were only entertaining the possibility.

I have to agree with the reasoning though, instanced dungeons go along way to limiting the number of people you meet. Waving to other parties is fun! Sometime you even stumble across a friend and have the chance to wish them well. That is something that I wouldn't want to miss out on.
#12 Jul 15 2010 at 1:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
I'm pretty sure he just said that instanced zones are out!

It's hard to beleive that they could be making decisions (or changing their mind) like this so close to release. I suppose they were only entertaining the possibility.

I have to agree with the reasoning though, instanced dungeons go along way to limiting the number of people you meet. Waving to other parties is fun! Sometime you even stumble across a friend and have the chance to wish them well. That is something that I wouldn't want to miss out on.


No that's not what he said. It was in a deeper context regarding to Guildleve.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#13 Jul 15 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,178 posts
RedGalka wrote:
No that's not what he said. It was in a deeper context regarding to Guildleve.


Komoto: There are many dicussions going on about Guildleve, and there is one suggestion that people be able to enter an instanced area where they are invisible to other players and cannot be bothered by them. However, having many people playing together in the same world is an important part of the game, so we decided to keep everyone interacting in the same field areas. Still, we are thinking of ways to keep users from griefing each other.

If players are at a checkpoint after completing their Guildleve, we would like them to be able to wave a greeting to an incoming party and maintain that multiplayer atmosphere. We feel that it is very important to preserve that warm feeling of sharing a game world with many other players.
*End*

Do you think that there will still be instanced zones in some other aspect of the game?
#14 Jul 15 2010 at 2:20 PM Rating: Default
**
602 posts
I'm glad the istances in the open areas are out. Seems like if your in a guildleve the monsters your going after they pop up in the area and no one else can att them. So its great no one can take your kills to complete your guildleve.
____________________________
BANNED

#15 Jul 15 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
RedGalka wrote:
No that's not what he said. It was in a deeper context regarding to Guildleve.


Komoto: There are many dicussions going on about Guildleve, and there is one suggestion that people be able to enter an instanced area where they are invisible to other players and cannot be bothered by them. However, having many people playing together in the same world is an important part of the game, so we decided to keep everyone interacting in the same field areas. Still, we are thinking of ways to keep users from griefing each other.

If players are at a checkpoint after completing their Guildleve, we would like them to be able to wave a greeting to an incoming party and maintain that multiplayer atmosphere. We feel that it is very important to preserve that warm feeling of sharing a game world with many other players.
*End*

Do you think that there will still be instanced zones in some other aspect of the game?


In FFXI BCNM,ENM,Dynamis,Limbus,etc. are all instanced zones. I can see simular events happening in FFXIV. Like I said before he's only talking about Guildleve.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#16 Jul 15 2010 at 3:00 PM Rating: Decent
40 posts
Looks like you can lightly play that game or totally quit your real life and plug yourself on that game for the next 5 years... maaaan its lucky im married or i would totally go for that second option!!
#17 Jul 15 2010 at 3:23 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
RedGalka wrote:
In FFXI BCNM,ENM,Dynamis,Limbus,etc. are all instanced zones. I can see simular events happening in FFXIV. Like I said before he's only talking about Guildleve.


You know, that hadn't even occured to me! I see exactly what you mean now.

Edited, Jul 15th 2010 5:23pm by RufuSwho
#18 Jul 15 2010 at 3:36 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
575 posts
If only you were right and Dynamis was instanced. That would be much less of a headache.
#19 Jul 15 2010 at 3:38 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
RedGalka wrote:
No that's not what he said. It was in a deeper context regarding to Guildleve.


Komoto: There are many dicussions going on about Guildleve, and there is one suggestion that people be able to enter an instanced area where they are invisible to other players and cannot be bothered by them. However, having many people playing together in the same world is an important part of the game, so we decided to keep everyone interacting in the same field areas. Still, we are thinking of ways to keep users from griefing each other.

If players are at a checkpoint after completing their Guildleve, we would like them to be able to wave a greeting to an incoming party and maintain that multiplayer atmosphere. We feel that it is very important to preserve that warm feeling of sharing a game world with many other players.
*End*

Do you think that there will still be instanced zones in some other aspect of the game?


We don't know, because they haven't talked much about other aspects to the game. It's unclear how much of the game, if any, is meant to be played outside of the context of guildleves.

However, I can only speculate that there will be some large events or battles which will be experienced by smaller groups of players, and could not be appropriately represented without some sort of instancing. To be honest, it's not even very clear to me what the underlying mechanics of "Kill X rats" type guild leves are. What happens if some one else kills the rats that you're supposed to kill? Do more rats spawn? Do other people not see "your" rats? Won't it seem strange if you see a party of 5 or 6 players all gathered around fighting air?

I think the value of Instancing has been proven in virtually every MMO since EQ, so I can't imagine they'd abandon it completely.

#20 Jul 15 2010 at 3:40 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Vawn43 wrote:
If only you were right and Dynamis was instanced. That would be much less of a headache.


Dynamis is instanced in the sense that the Dynamis that you enter has no relation to the one that the last group left. S-E just created the restriction that there can't be multiple instances at the same time.
#21 Jul 15 2010 at 3:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
Vawn43 wrote:
If only you were right and Dynamis was instanced. That would be much less of a headache.


Dynamis is instanced in the sense that the Dynamis that you enter has no relation to the one that the last group left. S-E just created the restriction that there can't be multiple instances at the same time.


Yeah, hopefully FFXIV has some programming which enables several groups being able to the stuff at the same time and without it resulting into additional lag.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#22 Jul 15 2010 at 4:31 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
I have to agree with the reasoning though, instanced dungeons go along way to limiting the number of people you meet.


He did not say no instanced dungeons. He's only referring to guildleaves.
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)