Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Some noob questionsFollow

#1 Jul 16 2010 at 10:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
122 posts
I didn't realise this was being released so soon. I wasn't going to play it because I decided I wanted to play TOR more, but I think I'll give this is a shot in the mean time. I've been a big fan of most of the FF series, with the exception of FFXI. I made the mistake of choosing a less desirable class (samurai) and wasted an insane amount of time.

Anyway, on the subject of this game, will my computer run it okay on decently high settings?
Intel core 2 quad overclocked to 3.2GHz
4GB Kingston Hyperx 8500
ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB

Does this follow the typical MMO grouping system (heal, tank, DPS)? All the classes have weird names so it's hard to tell what each one does just by the name.

Are the war/magic disciples the only combat classes, and everything else is gathering/crafting?

I'm sure there will be a couple more things I'll wonder so I'll post when I think of them.

Thanks.
#2 Jul 16 2010 at 11:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
It seems like there will be some slightly defined roles in terms of tank/DD/heals, but I think it is going to be much less strict than the traditional triumvirate.

Right now you MIGHT be able to run it on 1920x1080 on the lowest graphical settings. You will be able to run the game on 1280x720 with good settings and 1600x1200 with medium/low settings.
#3 Jul 16 2010 at 11:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
burtonsnow wrote:
It seems like there will be some slightly defined roles in terms of tank/DD/heals, but I think it is going to be much less strict than the traditional triumvirate.

Right now you MIGHT be able to run it on 1920x1080 on the lowest graphical settings. You will be able to run the game on 1280x720 with good settings and 1600x1200 with medium/low settings.


1920x1080 = 2,073,600
1600x1200 = 1,920,000

They are roughly the same settings. If you can play 1600x1200 on medium settings, you can play 1080p on medium, too. :)
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#4 Jul 16 2010 at 11:39 AM Rating: Good
*
242 posts
My system is similar (yours is slightly better) and runs the benchmark on low setting at about a 3000, on high at about 1600 (I have an older, geforce 9800gt video card, which bottlenecks my score on high). Furthermore, I have it on very convincing authority that systems of this tier will run the game quite acceptably.
____________________________


#5 Jul 16 2010 at 11:50 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
122 posts
I found the benchmark programme and scored around 2300 on high so I suppose that's alright. Have there be any polls to see which job people are going to use as a main? I'm curious to see the popularity of them.
#6 Jul 16 2010 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
*
242 posts
Quote:
I found the benchmark programme and scored around 2300 on high so I suppose that's alright. Have there be any polls to see which job people are going to use as a main? I'm curious to see the popularity of them.


Nothing reliable, especially in light of the huge changes / additions still being made. Even beta testers don't know how the classes play beyond a certain, presumably pretty low level cap.

I've heard a rumor though that distribution is roughly even between classes, favored away from casters.
____________________________


#7 Jul 16 2010 at 11:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
122 posts
JayRams wrote:

I've heard a rumor though that distribution is roughly even between classes, favored away from casters.

That's cool then, I was leaning towards caster and don't like to play the over popular classes.

I just can't help thinking that every bit of gameplay I've seen looks really basic and cheap. It's like I'm forcing myself to want to play it just because I'm a fan of the franchise. Or are SE holding back as much info and footage as they can, so only basic things have been released?
#8 Jul 16 2010 at 12:04 PM Rating: Good
*
242 posts
There is a lot of gameplay available on an ubiquitous internet video sharing website. Since the beta has only been going for a short time, it may help if you do some "advanced" searching to restrict your search criteria to recently added videos.
____________________________


#9 Jul 16 2010 at 12:39 PM Rating: Default
**
879 posts
You could download the FFXIV benchmark and test it out.
____________________________
Spiderpalm, level 32 Undead Warlock of the server Lightbringer.
#10 Jul 16 2010 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Threx wrote:
burtonsnow wrote:
It seems like there will be some slightly defined roles in terms of tank/DD/heals, but I think it is going to be much less strict than the traditional triumvirate.

Right now you MIGHT be able to run it on 1920x1080 on the lowest graphical settings. You will be able to run the game on 1280x720 with good settings and 1600x1200 with medium/low settings.


1920x1080 = 2,073,600
1600x1200 = 1,920,000

They are roughly the same settings. If you can play 1600x1200 on medium settings, you can play 1080p on medium, too. :)


Thats why I said w/ medium/low settings, because it will be leaning more towards the lower end...but ya.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 11 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (11)