Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

What abilities / weapon skills would you like to see in 14?Follow

#1 Jul 21 2010 at 8:01 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
163 posts
Ok, even tho I'm not a huge fan on bringing stuff from 11 to 14, kinda defeats the purpose of making a new FF altogether, there are a few abilities / weapon skills I'd look to see with the improved graphics. My first choice would have to be Ranger's 'barrage' ability. Now I know that Archer is going to have 'quick nock' and it reads like barrage but I'd like to actually see my character just spam rapid arrows not just shoot 1 shot and take up a few arrows, boring. I figure with the improved graphics and whatnot it should be possible. One other one I'd like to see with much improved graphics is 'impulse drive' as I'm a sucker for polearm WS's. Well, those are my choices. I'd like to hear what everyone would like to see. Thanks.
____________________________
So I rated you up for no good reason, big deal. Wanna fight about it?
#2 Jul 21 2010 at 8:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I always loved Hexa Strike when I finally got it.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 Jul 21 2010 at 8:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,450 posts
Oh man Wint... I am totally with you there.
____________________________
Rhodekylle wrote:
In a world where studies show marriages now run into trouble after three years, it is probably to be expected that games lose their enchantment at least as quickly.
#4 Jul 21 2010 at 8:14 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
158 posts
RSquires wrote:
Ok, even tho I'm not a huge fan on bringing stuff from 11 to 14, kinda defeats the purpose of making a new FF altogether, there are a few abilities / weapon skills I'd look to see with the improved graphics. My first choice would have to be Ranger's 'barrage' ability. Now I know that Archer is going to have 'quick nock' and it reads like barrage but I'd like to actually see my character just spam rapid arrows not just shoot 1 shot and take up a few arrows, boring. I figure with the improved graphics and whatnot it should be possible. One other one I'd like to see with much improved graphics is 'impulse drive' as I'm a sucker for polearm WS's. Well, those are my choices. I'd like to hear what everyone would like to see. Thanks.


I played Ranger in Aion and there were a ton of different arrow animations for different attacks, so this is definitely possible. Since the game's been in production so long I'd hope they've taken the time to make different animations for attacks like you mentioned.

I've always been a fan of abilities like drain, slow, double/triple etc, as well as gravity moves (though I would guess they come under moves that are impossible in an mmo setting).

#5 Jul 21 2010 at 8:45 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
Monkey grip (holding a two-handed weapon in one hand), either as a racial ability for Roegadyn, or perhaps a late-game class trait for Marauder.

An ability that turns elemental spells into a RDM's en-spell for your weapon. For example, Conjurer gets Fire. Cross Conjurer with Marauder, and the Marauder could get Enfire on his axe.

Not an ability or WS, but the ability to keep pets in your residence. Something along the lines of the caged rarabs in the Goblin shop in Lower Jeuno.

Whips, especially if they have a Beastmaster or Summoner class.

Bard/Dancer class.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#6 Jul 21 2010 at 9:10 AM Rating: Good
**
394 posts
I'd like to see some techs transfer over from the SaGa series. FFXIV's weapon and ability system is so SaGa-inspired it hurts, even just a few of the big skills would be worth crossing over. Millionaire for the bow, Dimension Break for axe, Wheel Swing for swords, and so on (there are hundreds of techniques to pick from!). Might as well throw in Midare Setsugekka for a skillchain, too.
#7 Jul 21 2010 at 9:18 AM Rating: Decent
5 posts
Savage Blade :D
#8 Jul 21 2010 at 10:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Two weapons skills I'd like to see with improved graphics:


1. Empyreal Arrow (check my sig for those of you who've never seen it)

2. Cosmic Elucidation... My CoP static was the very first NA on Caitsith to set foot in sea. I had already heard about CE, but hadn't seen what it looked like (don't think there were even any videos of it yet). When CE went off for the first time... It. Was. So. F'ing. Epic.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#9 Jul 21 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
291 posts
Tealtraum wrote:

I played Ranger in Aion and there were a ton of different arrow animations for different attacks, so this is definitely possible. Since the game's been in production so long I'd hope they've taken the time to make different animations for attacks like you mentioned.

I've always been a fan of abilities like drain, slow, double/triple etc, as well as gravity moves (though I would guess they come under moves that are impossible in an mmo setting).



Speaking of different animations for attacks, I would really want to see the monsters are actually "hurt" from players' attacks. It would be cool to see the archer's arrow actually stays on the monster's body. Or if the monster is wearing armor and got smashed by a Marauder's axe attack, it'll be cool to see the armor actually breaks or at least show some cracks on the armor. Also, when the monster is really low on HP, its movement or body gesture or facial express should show that it's dying.

On player's side, I'm not sure if our gear has durability, if it does, and when it's low, the graphic could change with some cracks or something to indicate the durability is low.
#10 Jul 21 2010 at 11:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
163 posts
I am extremely happy tho that Archer finally carry around their weapon. They don't just pull it out of their back pocket. Reminds me of the days of playing Resident Evil and having Jill pull the bazooka out of her back pocket to waste Tyrant. Ahh, good times, good times.
____________________________
So I rated you up for no good reason, big deal. Wanna fight about it?
#11 Jul 21 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
RSquires wrote:
I am extremely happy tho that Archer finally carry around their weapon. They don't just pull it out of their back pocket. Reminds me of the days of playing Resident Evil and having Jill pull the bazooka out of her back pocket to waste Tyrant. Ahh, good times, good times.


I can't express how happy I am with this. For the longest time, I was one of the few people crying for this in XI. When I first saw the vid of XIV with the player carrying the bow on his back, I literally said, "YES!" while sitting in my room alone, and the biggest smile leaped on my face.

ARCHERS, REJOICE!
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#12 Jul 21 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
163 posts
dunlag wrote:
Tealtraum wrote:

I played Ranger in Aion and there were a ton of different arrow animations for different attacks, so this is definitely possible. Since the game's been in production so long I'd hope they've taken the time to make different animations for attacks like you mentioned.

I've always been a fan of abilities like drain, slow, double/triple etc, as well as gravity moves (though I would guess they come under moves that are impossible in an mmo setting).



Speaking of different animations for attacks, I would really want to see the monsters are actually "hurt" from players' attacks. It would be cool to see the archer's arrow actually stays on the monster's body. Or if the monster is wearing armor and got smashed by a Marauder's axe attack, it'll be cool to see the armor actually breaks or at least show some cracks on the armor. Also, when the monster is really low on HP, its movement or body gesture or facial express should show that it's dying.

On player's side, I'm not sure if our gear has durability, if it does, and when it's low, the graphic could change with some cracks or something to indicate the durability is low.


I'd also like it if they added actually visual effects from certain spells. If you cast Enfire and your sword or whatever your using is now burning. If you cast paralyze and it sticks to the mob there could be like glowing rings around the mob to show it's actually paralyze. Just some minor details that I'd like.
____________________________
So I rated you up for no good reason, big deal. Wanna fight about it?
#13 Jul 21 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
656 posts
dunlag wrote:


On player's side, I'm not sure if our gear has durability, if it does, and when it's low, the graphic could change with some cracks or something to indicate the durability is low.


yes it does :)
____________________________
モスタル


#14 Jul 21 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
339 posts
I hope Skillchains play a part again in FFXIV.

Oh, and Asuran Fists. ;)
#15 Jul 21 2010 at 11:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
RSquires wrote:

I'd also like it if they added actually visual effects from certain spells. If you cast Enfire and your sword or whatever your using is now burning. If you cast paralyze and it sticks to the mob there could be like glowing rings around the mob to show it's actually paralyze. Just some minor details that I'd like.


I also like these effects. DDO had some nifty ones. In DDO:

If your sword had additional fire damage, it would be flaming when you held it, and if you kill an enemy with it the corpse would be burnt black.

If your sword had additional acid damage, it would be dripping green liquid, and if you kill an enemy with it the corpse "sublimates."

If your sword had additional cold damage, it would be glowing white/light blue with "snowflakes" jumping from it, and if you kill an enemy with it the corpse turns to ice and bursts into pieces.

It was pretty neat. :)
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#16 Jul 21 2010 at 11:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
802 posts
Really wanna see a Weapon which is basically a Stick with a spikey ball on it.

(-_-lll

Ya, I know every game has one. But this type of weapon never gets old.
____________________________


#17 Jul 21 2010 at 12:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
291 posts
RSquires wrote:


I'd also like it if they added actually visual effects from certain spells. If you cast Enfire and your sword or whatever your using is now burning. If you cast paralyze and it sticks to the mob there could be like glowing rings around the mob to show it's actually paralyze. Just some minor details that I'd like.


That would be great, I also wish there were visual effects for buffs/debuffs. Maybe something like putting a glowing chain with a big steel ball on the mob's feet when you cast gravity, and as the effect is wearing out, the steel ball becomes smaller and smaller and then vanish. So players can actually see some visual indication of what kind of buffs/debuffs the mob has.

Mostaru wrote:

yes it does :)


Wooooo can't wait to see it!
#18 Jul 21 2010 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
*
242 posts
I loved BLM Ancient Magic Bursting back in the day, I'd love to see that again.
____________________________


#19 Jul 21 2010 at 1:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
163 posts
Some minor visuals effects I'd also like would be for defensive spells like protect, shell and such. I believe they did that one of the other FF's but I could be wrong on that. If your character had protect on and a mob stuck them the protect animation would flicker for a second. And the same effect if they were hit w/ a magic spell and had shell on.
Man, I should of named this thread "Minor visual effects you'd like to see"
____________________________
So I rated you up for no good reason, big deal. Wanna fight about it?
#20 Jul 21 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Good
**
592 posts
We all know everyone wants to see the return of Utsusemi!
____________________________
Inralkil-Seraph 75NIN/75SAM/68BST

Retired: Inra-Dark Crag 40/40 Witch Elf
Retired: Hollow-Thunderlord 70 Warlock S1/S3 T4 SL/SL
Retired: Horknee-Thunderlord 70 Druid T4/T5 Feral
#21 Jul 21 2010 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
291 posts
RSquires wrote:

Man, I should of named this thread "Minor visual effects you'd like to see"


lol, maybe you can add that to the subject (you can edit your subject right?)
#22 Jul 21 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,120 posts
Inralkil wrote:
We all know everyone wants to see the return of Utsusemi!


I held out for the longest time on that, determined to remain mnk/war...but when I did eventually give in I gotta admit I became attached to those shadows after a while

I'd always enjoy seeing something like Hundred Fists again
This is straying into the thread discussing race differences, but maybe some kind of 2-hr type abilities depending on race & clan...with your choice of god further affecting it...

And I love the enfire talk...that would look cool...
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)