Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

The FFXIV Pricing Model And YouFollow

#1 Jul 21 2010 at 3:20 PM Rating: Good
**
577 posts
I've noticed a lot of rage about FFXIV's pricing model. And, being the generous person that I am, I've decided to make this handy guide to explain to you why you're an idiot and need to shut the **** up.

1. Extra characters are a luxury in FFXIV.

There are literally five people on the planet who will simultaneously play three or more characters in FFXIV. All five are completely ******** insane.

The only reason to have an extra full character is for aesthetics. Otherwise you have retainers and much more storage than in XI. You pay the extra $3 because it's unnecessary. I know one person out of the hundreds of people I played FFXI with that actually utilized more than one of their character slots for more than just extra space.

"But Khorbin," I can hear you all saying, "I just can't choose between the one that looks like a cat girl and the one that looks like a 10 year old! I have to have both!" Tough ****. Life's about decisions. Time to make one. (Besides, you're a 41 year old slightly overweight male. Should you really be pretending to be a girl?)

2. The base price is already cheaper than most MMOs.

FFXIV's base price is $12.99 per month. That's $2 less than World of Warcraft at $14.99 per month. Aion is $14.95. EQ and EQ2 are $14.99 per month. Star Wars Galaxies, $14.99 per month. That MMO you're looking at playing next year? You can bet it'll be right around $15 a month.

You know what the alternative to charging per character is? Those of us who don't even want an extra character would end up paying an extra $2 per month for no reason. I don't want to subsidize your extra characters just because you want to look pretty.

3. $3 is not that much money.

"How awful about Grandma. Sad story, really. The doctor says she needs an extra $3 for her operation, but we just can't afford it. I guess we're going to have to send her to the glue factory."

There are people out there who have real financial problems. They're losing their jobs. They're losing their houses. They can't afford to feed their kids, or to pay their bills. To those people, $3 might be significant. Those people should not be playing FFXIV. They should be looking for a job, filling out their resumes, or giving HJs on the street corner for spare change.

You will spend more than $3 per month on increased quantities of Mountain Dew and Cheetos consumed while playing FFXIV. Even if you just drink ice water out of the tap you'll probably spend more than $3 a month on your water bill. You'll spend more than $3 per month in extra electricity consumption from staying up until 3AM every night. I'm not rich, but I would set $3 on fire with a big smile on my face if it would make this point even slightly clearer.

A list of stupid things that I didn't need but spent more than $3 on:
-Crazy straws
-ShamWow! (It makes me say "wow!" every time.)
-Fake Mustache
-Filling my roommate's car with styrofoam packing material just to watch him clean it up
-The sprinkles you put on ice cream cones
-A bag of assorted misprinted pens
-A plastic frog that makes an annoying noise when you put it in water.
-The book "Yanni: In Words"
-Tire Pressure Gauge

That list could go on for hundreds of pages.

In conclusion, if you want an extra character for no good reason, pay the $3. Otherwise don't. Either way, stop ******** about it.
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#2 Jul 21 2010 at 3:30 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
Quote:
A list of stupid things that I didn't need but spent more than $3 on:
-Crazy straws
-ShamWow! (It makes me say "wow!" every time.)
-Fake Mustache
-Filling my roommate's car with styrofoam packing material just to watch him clean it up
-The sprinkles you put on ice cream cones
-A bag of assorted misprinted pens
-A plastic frog that makes an annoying noise when you put it in water.
-The book "Yanni: In Words"
-Tire Pressure Gauge


LOL nice list. Does the ShamWow! really work? I've always been curious. It only cost you $3 to fill your roommate car with styrofoam? Wow, I spent more on that for filling material to ship 2 ps2 games to my brother... I've always found my tire pressure gauge to be helpful. Personally, I wouldn't call that a stupid thing to have.

On a related note, I had no idea people were complaining. It's 13 bucks. Most kids get more than that for allowance every week. If that's expensive, consider getting a job.... Go mow someones lawn every week and charge $20. You'll come out way ahead.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1789917[/ffxivsig]
#3 Jul 21 2010 at 3:38 PM Rating: Decent
**
633 posts
What's the pricing model? Sorry I've only recently started to get into the FFXIV specifics and I'd probably be one of those crazies who played a second character.

For what it's worth I found it necessary to level a second character in FFXI because of restrictions on rare/ex items, quest rewards, merit points, time to mule, etc.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]475686[/ffxivsig]
#4 Jul 21 2010 at 3:42 PM Rating: Default
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Smiley: laugh

Good stuff Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#5 Jul 21 2010 at 3:42 PM Rating: Decent
**
577 posts
Quote:
LOL nice list. Does the ShamWow! really work? I've always been curious.


The short answer is yes, but not as well as the commercials suggest. It's nice for cleaning up after my dog.

Quote:
It only cost you $3 to fill your roommate car with styrofoam?


No, it was a list of things that cost at least $3. I think it was more like $25 for that prank. Totally worth it.

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't call [a tire pressure gauge] a stupid thing to have.

It's not. However, a light-up digital gauge that converts to like 10 different measurements? Yeah, I didn't need one of those.

Quote:
I had no idea people were complaining.


http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?game=268&mid=1278203522273017038&page=1
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#6 Jul 21 2010 at 3:46 PM Rating: Decent
Hahaha! This ought to be stickied. Great job.
#7 Jul 21 2010 at 3:47 PM Rating: Decent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Bookmarked for sure. There is much win here.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#8 Jul 21 2010 at 3:47 PM Rating: Good
*
242 posts
Quote:

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't call [a tire pressure gauge] a stupid thing to have.

It's not. However, a light-up digital gauge that converts to like 10 different measurements? Yeah, I didn't need one of those.


Most pumps these days have the gauge built onto them!
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1604742[/ffxivsig]
#9 Jul 21 2010 at 3:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
291 posts
Just FYI, WoW has a payment option that's $77.94 for six months ($12.99 per month).
#10 Jul 21 2010 at 3:48 PM Rating: Good
*
205 posts
Most of the time, people use secondary characters just for a mule. There are some people that do want multiple characters, but most likely they start off as a mule.

But they've resolved this with retainers to petal products and such, so I'm not sure if there would be a mule need. And if you need additional retainers it's like $1.
____________________________
It's not who we are, but what we do that define us. - Batman Begins
[ffxivsig]477658[/ffxivsig]
#11 Jul 21 2010 at 3:52 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Gotta agree with most of this. It's an optional luxury and is priced as such. If it's truly important to have multiple characters, you'll pay the 3 bucks. I'll be frequenting the Burger King dollar menu...
#12 Jul 21 2010 at 3:53 PM Rating: Decent
Wint wrote:
Bookmarked for sure. There is much win here.


The most informative piece is how financial woes can lead to sending poor grandma to the glue factory. At least now we know the secret behind glue stick.
#13 Jul 21 2010 at 4:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
602 posts
I, too, was unaware this was an issue with anyone. Oh well, glad it was since it led to such lawls. :)
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV
Dreaming Celestial: Gridanian Hellsguard Roegadyn
Transcendence LS - Community first. Progress second. Fun always.
http://transcendence.pro-forums.com/index.php
- - - - -
Final Fantasy XI
Caitsith Server
Cyttorak - Samurai
Nekura - Black Mage
- - - - -
http://nekurahn.livejournal.com/ - Last updated on 27/08/2008
- - - - -
This is the final fantasy...better make it count.
#14 Jul 21 2010 at 4:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
339 posts
Heheh! I like it.

I always thought, most people will be content with one character. The people that play the game enough to need more will be that obsessed, they'd probably sell their granny to pay for it anyway.

Edited, Jul 21st 2010 6:11pm by scotchio
#15 Jul 21 2010 at 4:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
126 posts
khorbin wrote:
3. $3 is not that much money.


Great entire post! But this line sums it all up for me. If $3 breaks the budget, you have other issues and probably shouldn't even be spending the $13 to play.
____________________________
Carbuncle
75 Pld/Bst
#16 Jul 21 2010 at 4:16 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,702 posts
dunlag wrote:
Just FYI, WoW has a payment option that's $77.94 for six months ($12.99 per month).


Apples to apples
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#17 Jul 21 2010 at 4:27 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
770 posts
things you can do to save 3$ or more!
stop drinking so much pop (or soda however you wanan call it)
eat less fast food!
make your own coffee instead of buying soem daily :P

mmm coffee.. sorry lost track of what i was saying
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#18 Jul 21 2010 at 4:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
This list could have stopped at #1, but if FFXIV is anything like FFXI one can still argue the luxury of more storage space in a game where one character can effectively wear 20 different hats. The complaint you, OP, fail to address is: "In order to perform well enough at (certain number of jobs/classes), I must have a mule in order to carry the extra equipment." This is the problem in FFXI when a single character professes at too many jobs. Inventory should not be a luxury in a game that promises one character unlimited growth into every class.

Now, if FFXIV doesn't cap out inventory, then there is npnpnp.
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#19 Jul 21 2010 at 5:16 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
I've heard that character inventory caps at 80 at this point in time. It does cap, but it will take awhile to reach it. That doesn't include house storage and the guys you hire to sell your items for you.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1789917[/ffxivsig]
#20 Jul 21 2010 at 6:42 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
393 posts
Haha funny post! And I totally agree. The only reason I had extra characters in FFXI was for storage only. O how I hated logging on and off all the time just to ferry equipments and whatnot between characters. Such a waste of time, which I already have precious little of just to level up one single character. So hooray for Retainers!

Besides, there are so many other monthly expenses that are more than $12.99(+$3)/month:
  • Gas/electricity/water/garbage
  • Cable/satellite subscription
  • Cell phone
  • Internet
  • WoW
Etc., etc.

If you are really cash-strapped, considering cutting back on some of the expenses above. Maybe you really don't need 500+ TV channels after all? Maybe you don't need unlimited calling and texting? Maybe you can change your incandescent bulbs to compact fluorescent?

But wait, did I hear you say, "But my mommy/daddy pays for all that!"? Well in that case, I would suggest: 1. Sweet-talk them into paying the extra $13/month fee, to which they gladly comply since you are their little boy/girl; 2. Throw a major tantrum and threaten to OD on sleeping pills, to which they hastily comply so as not to hurt your feelings, or if you are really nice, 3. Offer to do house chores and give mommy/daddy weekly massages in exchange for the extra $13 in allowance, at which point your parents freak out and rush you to the psychiatric ward.

...Hmm, I guess I'm not good at giving suggestions. (._.;)
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ
[ffxivsig]1790574[/ffxivsig]
#21 Jul 21 2010 at 6:57 PM Rating: Decent
*
228 posts
Quote:
I've heard that character inventory caps at 80 at this point in time. It does cap, but it will take awhile to reach it. That doesn't include house storage and the guys you hire to sell your items for you


Hmm Is that 80 after a quest series, I recall gobbie bags which required hard to get (well several hours trading moss for selbina faction) upping the on character storage from 30 on up to 80 or was it 90, its long ago since I played.

If the base is 80 and there is an expansion system, however painful, it should be sufficient.
____________________________
oleum
Old Nick Sargantanas
Merlon Wytarensyn - not there yet but probably Balmung
#22 Jul 21 2010 at 7:27 PM Rating: Decent
**
577 posts
Quote:
This list could have stopped at #1, but if FFXIV is anything like FFXI one can still argue the luxury of more storage space in a game where one character can effectively wear 20 different hats. The complaint you, OP, fail to address is: "In order to perform well enough at (certain number of jobs/classes), I must have a mule in order to carry the extra equipment." This is the problem in FFXI when a single character professes at too many jobs. Inventory should not be a luxury in a game that promises one character unlimited growth into every class.

Now, if FFXIV doesn't cap out inventory, then there is npnpnp.


As I understand it, FFXIV starts you with 80 inventory, and you get one retainer free, who also has 80 inventory. If for some reason that isn't enough, extra retainers are only $1 a month.
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#23 Jul 21 2010 at 8:47 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
118 posts
I was gonna post a fake emo rant but it wasn't very funny.

Instead, I will say this: we should just consider the $3 to be the ****** tax. If you need to pay money for another character in a game that goes very far to make extra characters completely pointless, then you are a ****** and you must pay the penalty.

Also, I think the $3 fee is primarily for people who share an account. I knew a number of siblings living at home who shared accounts in FFXI, and it's nice for them to have the option to add another character for $3 a month instead of buying a whole new copy of the game and paying $12.99. Especially if they only have one PC/PS3 to share, it just wouldn't make sense for each to have their own account.

Edited, Jul 21st 2010 10:51pm by Solimurr
#24 Jul 21 2010 at 10:56 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
393 posts
Solimurr wrote:
Also, I think the $3 fee is primarily for people who share an account. I knew a number of siblings living at home who shared accounts in FFXI, and it's nice for them to have the option to add another character for $3 a month instead of buying a whole new copy of the game and paying $12.99. Especially if they only have one PC/PS3 to share, it just wouldn't make sense for each to have their own account.


That is a good point, never thought of that. Although it will probably be very hard to agree on a play schedule.
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ
[ffxivsig]1790574[/ffxivsig]
#25 Jul 22 2010 at 12:01 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
I agree. Except for your #1. Should remove that one, just makes you sound full of crap. Tonnes of people will want to play multiple characters because of the aesthetics, as well as wanting to experience the game from different starting cities.
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#26 Jul 22 2010 at 12:19 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Solimurr wrote:
I was gonna post a fake emo rant but it wasn't very funny.

Instead, I will say this: we should just consider the $3 to be the ****** tax. If you need to pay money for another character in a game that goes very far to make extra characters completely pointless, then you are a ****** and you must pay the penalty.


There are many people out there who do actually enjoy multiple characters for RP purposes, or just for aesthetics. I don't think they would enjoy their playstyles referred to as a "****** tax".

Judging by your sub-default, I'd imagine I'm not mistaken.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#27 Jul 22 2010 at 12:24 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,353 posts
Quote:
I agree. Except for your #1. Should remove that one, just makes you sound full of crap. Tonnes of people will want to play multiple characters because of the aesthetics, as well as wanting to experience the game from different starting cities.
Yeah, well they can pay the extra $3, then, can't they?
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#28 Jul 22 2010 at 12:25 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
Of course they can, which is why I said I agreed with the rest of the post. The only problem was the whole five people on this planet bit was a little over the top.

Edit: typo

Edited, Jul 22nd 2010 6:27am by Fetter
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#29 Jul 22 2010 at 1:53 AM Rating: Good
*
228 posts
Just as a heads up in EU the cost is 3 euro or 2 gbp per character extra. Regardless of the reasons why or why not people might want an additional character (many are in here somewhere)
SE have set the bar high enough that most people just won't bother. At a trivial $1, 1 euro or 0.75 gbp a month many people would have had additional characters (probably as mules/trade related) in the game. As it is maybe retainers will fill this niche. At $3 or equivalent they have lost many many $1 to be replaced by very few $3, not a good business decision.

I do like the idea that its harder to change your characters identity though. Griefers are recognised as such and similarly other players can stay with their good reputation. Someone logging on looking for oleum because he can synth something they need doesn't have to wade through a load of alt names in case he is off fishing or on one of the auction houses checking out prices.

So good points, griefers can't hide so easily
Bad points, less overall income for SE, convenience of having alts is reduced

Actually I think they got it right if retainers are actually any use and the bazaar/market/auction house system is workable. I need to go find info on these trade systems to make a final judgement though.
____________________________
oleum
Old Nick Sargantanas
Merlon Wytarensyn - not there yet but probably Balmung
#30 Jul 22 2010 at 2:01 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
175 posts
While I agree with the whole stop crying sentiment ($3 a month isn't that much)I do disagree a little.

As a cook it was always cheapest to buy my ingredients from vendors. Having a mule in each city saved me loads of time and frustration, because as we all know regional vendors could change location every week. That being said, if I run into the same problems here I really don't have a problem forking out an extra $9 for a few mules if it maximizes the playing little playing time that I will get.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1746396[/ffxivsig]
#31 Jul 22 2010 at 2:26 AM Rating: Decent
*
87 posts
I never cared for the idea of using mules. It wasn't the money, I just never got into it.

I understand having a mule in every location greatly cuts back on travel time when shopping, but that would also cut back on interactions.

One of my favorite things to do in my LS was to annouce where I was (i.e. - "Hey, all, I'm in Windy"), and my LS buddies would ask me to check on prices and availibility around there. I know some would consider doing this a pain, but I enjoyed helping out my LS and I'd ask them for the same every once in a while too.

I also met most of my friends just traveling from one area to another. You'ld think PTing would be when I'd meet most, but it usually was just traveling and me finding someone by chance that could use some help. I remember one guy that I stoped to raise that sent me a rare piece of wood that I sold for a ton of gil. Other times I'd find someone soloing, and I stop to buff them.

Most NM's I found were when I wasn't looking for them at all, but when I was simply traveling.

I understand why people want a mule, and I can't blame them, but it's just not my cup-o-tea.

#32 Jul 22 2010 at 2:27 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,120 posts
Alkerr wrote:
As a cook it was always cheapest to buy my ingredients from vendors. Having a mule in each city saved me loads of time and frustration, because as we all know regional vendors could change location every week. That being said, if I run into the same problems here I really don't have a problem forking out an extra $9 for a few mules if it maximizes the playing little playing time that I will get.


That was always fun, after the conquest updates people are celebrating or pouting about their nation's standing while I'm figuring out where to get some yagudo cherries. It sounds as though it should be less of an issue this time around with easier teleporting options & such.

Another thought...Isn't it possible for that $3 to drop after a while? Aside from some unique situations, 1 character should be keeping people pretty busy for some time. Then maybe a year or two in they drop it, allowing those who just want a new character for a change easier access to that option. Just some positive speculation on my part for those who really enjoy multiple characters.
#33 Jul 22 2010 at 2:30 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
175 posts
Quote:
One of my favorite things to do in my LS was to annouce where I was (i.e. - "Hey, all, I'm in Windy"), and my LS buddies would ask me to check on prices and availibility around there. I know some would consider doing this a pain, but I enjoyed helping out my LS and I'd ask them for the same every once in a while too.


I see what you are saying, but as a high level crafter, I would be HQing on melon pies several times a day (depending on how fast they sold) If I were to bug my Linkshell every time I needed ingredients I think I would have gotten kicked out :)
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1746396[/ffxivsig]
#34 Jul 22 2010 at 2:34 AM Rating: Good
*
87 posts
Alkerr wrote:

I see what you are saying, but as a high level crafter, I would be HQing on melon pies several times a day (depending on how fast they sold) If I were to bug my Linkshell every time I needed ingredients I think I would have gotten kicked out :)


Yeah, I can see that becoming a problem. I guess because I wasn't ever too high in crafting I really can't appreciate how handy a mule is in that regard. The best I ever got was a level 20 or so in fishing. *shrugs*

Edited, Jul 22nd 2010 4:36am by Futzbucket
#35 Jul 22 2010 at 6:32 AM Rating: Default
**
394 posts
I duly promote thee to Sage, good sir.
#36 Jul 22 2010 at 6:44 AM Rating: Default
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
TraumaFox wrote:
I duly promote thee to Sage, good sir.


If he keeps up with posts like this I see Guru Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#37 Jul 22 2010 at 8:08 AM Rating: Good
30 posts
Sadly, you're not the only person who has styrofoam peanut'd a friends car. Luckily, I have a Staples Card and cashed in my discount points to buy peanuts in bulk. FIlling a Suberban takes a lot of peanuts. lol
#38 Jul 22 2010 at 9:03 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
I understand what you are saying OP, but your post was just a little condescending. I, for one, was really looking forward to trying a couple different races this time around before settling on one I really liked. Even letting us have like 3 different characters would have been more than enough - one to try out each of the starter cities. This kind of killed that for me, and so now I will have to pretty much make my decision at the very beginning.

I guess I'm one of those "Five people on the planet". Thank for making me feel like an ******* for enjoying variety and wanting to try different things. Five+ years of staring at the same blonde ponytail in XI has jaded me, I guess.
#39Wint, Posted: Jul 22 2010 at 9:06 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Why not pay the extra $3? I think you're missing the point of the OP.
#40 Jul 22 2010 at 9:11 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
What I understood from the OP was that "If you want to play more than one character you're an idiot and should have to pay more because I don't think it's necessary".

Having more than one character as part of the package doesn't seem like much of a privilege when (as pointed out) every other mmo out there is doing it.

I guess we'll have to see how the whole retainer thing works, but bumping up the price for mules to 3 bucks from 1 is a bit extreme. They aren't even holding with their own past precedent.
#41 Jul 22 2010 at 9:17 AM Rating: Decent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Torrence wrote:
What I understood from the OP was that "If you want to play more than one character you're an idiot and should have to pay more because I don't think it's necessary".

Having more than one character as part of the package doesn't seem like much of a privilege when (as pointed out) every other mmo out there is doing it.

I guess we'll have to see how the whole retainer thing works, but bumping up the price for mules to 3 bucks from 1 is a bit extreme. They aren't even holding with their own past precedent.


Easy there grumpy.

See point #3.

Regarding mules, from what I understand you can use Retainers to hold and sell your stuff, and those are $1 per. So I'm failing to see your argument here.

Every other MMO lets you have multiple characters, but not many that I know of let you change your class like the FF's do. The only argument I could see is for experiencing the other racial story lines, but FFXI allowed you to do that by changing allegiance, and one would hope the same would be true here.

With that argument gone, the only thing I see left is ascetics, and that's where the $3 comes in. I'd rather pay $12.99 a month for my one character than have to pay $15 so you can have 3.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#42 Jul 22 2010 at 10:49 AM Rating: Decent
**
394 posts
Torrence wrote:
I guess we'll have to see how the whole retainer thing works, but bumping up the price for mules to 3 bucks from 1 is a bit extreme. They aren't even holding with their own past precedent.

Retainers are designed to replace mules. They still cost only $1, and you start the game with one for free. It is $3 to start an entirely new character.

I don't see where people feel like they need to "try out" the races, since the only difference is aesthetic, and I'd really hope most people can make up their minds about which appearance they like by the release date. As for different starting cities, you'll be able to visit all of the cities anyway (and teleport instantly between them, now), and if they follow XI's precedent, you'll probably be able to change your nationality and go through a different nation's story missions all on one character. Do you really need to have multiple characters just to see which starting sequence you prefer? Make a Miqo'te in Limsa Lominsa, get through the starting sequence and decide you'd rather have a Roegadyn in Ul'dah? Delete Miqo'te, since you're obviously never going to use her again, use same character slot to make Roegadyn, crisis averted. Frankly, I wouldn't blame SE for not wanting to have a bunch of unused "test" characters taking up space on their servers.

If you're actually going to go out of your way to play two or more characters regularly without letting them go to waste, then you can afford the $3 to enjoy that extra experience. It's a legitimate thing to do if you can do it, but it's non-essential to the FFXIV experience, and therefore costs extra.
#43 Jul 22 2010 at 11:00 AM Rating: Decent
**
577 posts
Quote:
I understand what you are saying OP, but your post was just a little condescending.


Thanks for noticing.

Quote:
Having more than one character as part of the package doesn't seem like much of a privilege when (as pointed out) every other mmo out there is doing it.


If every other MMO jumped off the Empire State building...

In other MMOs, if you want to play another class you have to create a new character, certain races can't play as some classes, and you can use the space bar to jump. I'm glad Square isn't trying for a WoW clone like 99% of other MMOs out there. If I wanted to play a WoW clone, I'd play WoW.

Quote:
What I understood from the OP was that "If you want to play more than one character you're an idiot and should have to pay more because I don't think it's necessary".


I never said people were idiots for wanting to play multiple main characters, so I don't appreciate the quotation marks. If that's how you read it, fine. The main point was it's not worth complaining about. Either pay the three dollars and have an unnecessary luxury, or don't pay the three dollars and stick with one character. I don't care either way.
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#44 Jul 22 2010 at 11:09 AM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Torrence wrote:
I understand what you are saying OP, but your post was just a little condescending. I, for one, was really looking forward to trying a couple different races this time around before settling on one I really liked. Even letting us have like 3 different characters would have been more than enough - one to try out each of the starter cities. This kind of killed that for me, and so now I will have to pretty much make my decision at the very beginning.



So spend the extra six bucks, for one month. If you play for more than three months, you'll earn it back with the cheaper base subscription price once you figure out which character to keep. You're already spending at least 50 bucks on the game, so just think of it as a six dollar investment in your own happiness.

Quote:

I guess I'm one of those "Five people on the planet". Thank for making me feel like an @#%^ for enjoying variety and wanting to try different things. Five+ years of staring at the same blonde ponytail in XI has jaded me, I guess.


If you really enjoy it that much, then spend the money to enjoy it that much. Most people don't want more than one character if there's no in game advantage to having more than one, and we don't want to pay extra money for your privilege. I can understand why you want more options "for free" but do you understand why no one else wants to subsidize that?

Edited, Jul 22nd 2010 1:10pm by KarlHungis
#45 Jul 22 2010 at 11:20 AM Rating: Decent
30 posts
I think the bigger point is that with one character, you can play every available class. As far as I know, FFXI and now FFXIV are the only games that let you do that. Yes, you could play another game with as many characters as you want to level all the classes you would like, but you also have to supply those toons with bags, food, money, etc., unlock essential quests and objectives with each one, blah blah blah.

If I have bags, money, quests unlocked, whatever else done on my 1 FF character, I have them done for every class. I like that. If I want to play as another race for whatever reason, then I'll pay the $3 bucks.

Bag space is a non-issue with the retainer setup, and honestly, we don't even know how much expandable space the mains are going to have, so this point isn't even worth arguing yet.

$12.99 per month x2 (my gf and I both play) makes me happier than $14.99 per month x2 when in every game where I've had the option of having multiple characters, I really only put any effort into my main. The others are for casual messing around and they never really get very far, especially once I hit endgame.

"You know what the alternative to charging per character is? Those of us who don't even want an extra character would end up paying an extra $2 per month for no reason. I don't want to subsidize your extra characters just because you want to look pretty."

- And that's my new favorite quote on this topic. I'm gonna put $4 in my pocket every month and... buy milkshakes. Yup. Milkshakes. Boo ya!



#46 Jul 22 2010 at 2:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
The ShamWow is a sham. It's just a regular chamois (pronounced shammy) more or less, marked up to a ridiculous price. Consumer reports find that you could buy like a hundred sponges for the same price and the same results.

...and yes, I bought them.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#47 Jul 22 2010 at 2:49 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Kachi wrote:
The ShamWow is a sham. It's just a regular chamois (pronounced shammy) more or less, marked up to a ridiculous price. Consumer reports find that you could buy like a hundred sponges for the same price and the same results.

...and yes, I bought them.


But it's made by Germans, and endorsed by Billy Mays!
#48 Jul 22 2010 at 3:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,317 posts
I think it's too early to push the "you can do everything on one char" line. That may have been somewhat true in FFXI, though eventually space becomes a big issue, and certain limits (merits, quest rewards, ect) force you to choose which classes you truly want to excel at. Even if you call that "doing everything" you're missing one important thing: this isn't FFXI.

Given how stats are being distributed this time around, I'd be worried if I had plans on leveling both a Disciple of War and Disciple of Magic, I highly doubt you'll be able to excel at both on one char. Of course not being able to master everything isn't that big of an issue, but are we sure you can even be effective at both? Will there be a huge disparity between people who choose a balanced character so they could "do everything" and a person who choose to focus on War or Magic?

Of course there's always the option to pay an extra $3 if you want to experience more then what one character can offer, and if your hurting for $3 then a MMO is probably not for you. By that same token though I don't think people are that nonchalant about throwing money away, even if it's not gonna break you. I'm sure we'd all complain if tomorrow your bank decided to arbitrarily add a $.50 charge every time you checked your balance.

A few months ago you had a lot of people who thought they were going to be able to play on the PS3 along with everyone else, and they're now faced with either spending quite a bit of cash to upgrade their system or waiting an additional 6 months after everyone else gets to play. Personally I wanted two chars so I could experience the game from the perspective of a char focused in the crafting Disciples, obviously that's not as attractive when I add in the cost of a new computer. I can understand why someone would feel like they're being nickle and dimed here and feel the need to vent a little, I certainly wouldn't go around calling them "idiots" or "retards".

FFXIV is going to need all the help it can get to compete in a very crowded market, the last thing we should be doing is driving off potential adventurers (aka customers) before the game even comes out, especially when we can't be sure their concerns aren't valid.

Bit of a wall of text here lol but I wanted to say something.
#49 Jul 22 2010 at 3:26 PM Rating: Good
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I see your point Redyoshi, but the thing is people are making assumptions on both sides of the argument and getting quite upset about it, when really nobody knows how things will be once the game is launched. I say put away the vitriol and just wait and see.

It's like these arguments about system specs, if you are that worried, wait a week or two after launch and see what people are saying about their performance. You know there will be posts about how well some setup runs the game versus another, so if you really don't want to spend the cheddar to upgrade without being positive of what you need, wait a bit and see. There is usually a price to being an early adopter Smiley: smile

Edited, Jul 22nd 2010 4:27pm by Wint
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#51 Jul 22 2010 at 5:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
118 posts
Alkerr wrote:
While I agree with the whole stop crying sentiment ($3 a month isn't that much)I do disagree a little.

As a cook it was always cheapest to buy my ingredients from vendors. Having a mule in each city saved me loads of time and frustration, because as we all know regional vendors could change location every week. That being said, if I run into the same problems here I really don't have a problem forking out an extra $9 for a few mules if it maximizes the playing little playing time that I will get.


Well, part of the idea behind FFXIV is to let you maximize play time. That means, I think, that you will not need to have mules in every city or else be forced to spend hours of airship time to hunt down the cheapest ingredients. As far as I can tell, there will be teleportation that lets you zip around between cities and collect what you need -- assuming that zipping around is actually necessary. We don't know for sure (or at least I haven't heard) how the economy will work. Will different ingredients have different prices in different cities? Will ingredients be sold based on region? Will the harvesting jobs make ingredients so plentiful on the AH that vendors are a waste of time? Who knows?

Also, they've said that crafting is going to be a lot more fun, though nobody has revealed exactly how it works. I would assume, however, that it means that there will be something to crafting other than just collecting ingredients and sitting down to synth over and over again. Maybe recipes will have fewer ingredients, and the emphasis will be on the crafting system instead of the un-fun slog of collecting ingredients.

Edited, Jul 22nd 2010 7:40pm by Solimurr
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 36 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (36)