Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Cost: PC vs ConsoleFollow

#1 Jul 23 2010 at 2:36 AM Rating: Good
***
1,457 posts
Some people have been comparing the advantages of consoles vs PCs in the area of cost effectiveness. While I only have my own experience and my observations of those in my vicinity, I came to some interesting conclusions I thought I'd share. I really just did this for my own entertainment, not as an argument.


Consoles to date: (purchased by my broken family or myself, depending on how many weeds I picked in the trailer park.)
1986 NES : $199
1989 Genesis: $190
1991 SNES: $150 (price dropped that year if I recall, was originally $199 as NES was)
1995 Saturn: $399 !
1996 PS1 : $299
1997 N64 : $199
1999 Dreamcast: $199
2000 PS2: $299
2001 XBOX : Did not purchase this, I was a sony fanboi still.
2005 XBOX360: $250
2009 Wii: Did not buy one
2009 PS3: $299 (I waited and bought the slim 80g)

$2,483 + TAX ( $210 (give or take, taxes went up over the years)) = $2,693

Now let's factor in the extra controller for each of these systems.
NES $20
Genesis $20
SNES $25
Saturn $25
PS1 $30
N64 $30
Dreamcast $30
PS2 $30
360 $50!
PS3 $50!

2,693 + 310(.0825) = $3,028

I'm not going to include all of the games I bought, I'll instead say that on average most people buy about 10 games per system (most buy many, many more.. as did I):
NES: $400
Genesis: $500
SNES: $650
PS1: $650
N64: $650
Dreamcast: $650
PS2: $500 (most were cheaper, selling point)
360: $650
PS3 $650

This is assuming that during the life of your console you only buy 10 games. I think a lot of people purchase more, but sometimes they are used and cost less.

$5,950 (games (leaving tax out to factor in varying prices)) + $3,028 (console+1 controller) = $8,978

Total years of gaming : 1986-2010 24 years

24 years / 5 (every 5 years was the upgrade interval) = 4.8years

$8,978 / 4.8years = $1,870

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most PC gamers that I know buy about 2-3 games per year (because of the replay value) at most and a new computer every 4-5 years. So over the life of the PC let's theorize that the gamer purchases 7 games. i.e Counter Strike, CS: Source, FFXI, WoW, Warhammer, Aion, Torchlight. Average price $40(7) + expansions 6($40) = $520

Average Cost of computer varies unlike consoles but they last longer. For $1,000 you can build a computer with recent technology and a nice monitor. With $1000 I build a Phenom II x4 with DDR3 ram up to date GPU the whole shebangs.

24years/4 = about 5-6 computers give or take. We'll say 6. +$500 for games.
$1,500 x 6 = $9,000

In conclusion, the difference is insignificant at best.

PC Average/year : $375 Console: $374.08

Some of this is very accurate, some of it is completely just an educated guess. Some people spend $2,000 on their computer every 5-6 years. Some people buy every single console that comes out and own 30-40 games for each. When you factor in peripherals like mics, headsets, arcade sticks, 3rd & 4th controllers, AND LET's NOT FORGET THE TELEVISION UPGRADE REQUIRED for console gaming, it can be a really expensive hobby.. but not nearly as bad as gearheads or diamond collectors (i don't know where that came from). In the end on average, I don't really see much of a difference. Thanks for reading, sorry if your eyes are bleeding.

*I did not include the 4 different gameboy models I've purchased, game gear, or PSP. Although I feel handhelds fall in to the category of "console gamers", they are not consoles themselves.

*added Wii :)

THIS IS ABOUT WHAT I HAVE SPENT GIVE OR TAKE OVER THE COURSE OF MY LIFE AS A GAMER. I USED TO SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON CONSOLES. I DO NOT ANYMORE BECAUSE I PREFER PCS. THIS THREAD WAS SUPPOSED TO BE UP FOR DISCUSSION NOT FOR SELF-LOATHING A-HOLES TO TRY AND OUT-ENLIGHTEN ONE ANOTHER. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING PRODUCTIVE TO ADD WITHOUT BEING A JERK THEN JUST LET THE THREAD DIE AND MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE.
Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 1:37am by GuardianFaith



Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 1:40am by GuardianFaith

Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 1:47am by GuardianFaith

Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 5:42pm by GuardianFaith
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#2 Jul 23 2010 at 2:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,317 posts
What, no Wii?!

Must admit I only use it to play Super Smash >.>
#3 Jul 23 2010 at 2:45 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
What, no Wii?!


Lol I never bought one of those since everyone I know already has one. I just play it over there :D
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#4 Jul 23 2010 at 2:55 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Now, I'm a PC gamer more than a console gamer by far, but I have to throw my two cents in here:

To be fair, you can't pad that number with "extra controller". An advantage of consoles is that they support easy local multiplayer, and yes, a controller is required for that. However, computers only really support LAN or online multiplayer in 99.9% of cases. There are a few exceptions where two people can play two player on one computer but these exceptions are rare (if you don't count ROMs, which is console again).

Also, it's unfair to count the cost of TVs in with consoles either, as a TV is not a "console player only" thing. Very few exclusively PC gamers who use consoles infrequently do not own a TV. I've known a few, but they're rare. If anything, I have an extra TV in my computer room so I can watch TV while I play PC games.

PC gaming is a more expensive hobby than console gaming, if you take it seriously.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#5 Jul 23 2010 at 3:00 AM Rating: Good
***
1,457 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Now, I'm a PC gamer more than a console gamer by far, but I have to throw my two cents in here:

To be fair, you can't pad that number with "extra controller". An advantage of consoles is that they support easy local multiplayer, and yes, a controller is required for that. However, computers only really support LAN or online multiplayer in 99.9% of cases. There are a few exceptions where two people can play two player on one computer but these exceptions are rare (if you don't count ROMs, which is console again).

Also, it's unfair to count the cost of TVs in with consoles either, as a TV is not a "console player only" thing. Very few exclusively PC gamers who use consoles infrequently do not own a TV. I've known a few, but they're rare. If anything, I have an extra TV in my computer room so I can watch TV while I play PC games.

PC gaming is a more expensive hobby than console gaming, if you take it seriously.


I did not include the cost of TVs in the numbers, I just mentioned it as an after thought. I'm including the controller because I personally had to buy a second controller for all of my consoles. I also think it helps to balance out the other devices people invest in for their consoles (lightguns?) or the exorbitant amount of games people purchase. Like I said it's not completely accurate, but I think it's a pretty good estimate. One controller and 10 games over the life of a console is a fairly common scenario.

Building PCs is an expensive hobby. However building an up to date machine every 5-6 years to compete with a standard console does not have to be.

Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 2:02am by GuardianFaith
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#6 Jul 23 2010 at 3:17 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
Now, I'm a PC gamer more than a console gamer by far, but I have to throw my two cents in here:

To be fair, you can't pad that number with "extra controller". An advantage of consoles is that they support easy local multiplayer, and yes, a controller is required for that. However, computers only really support LAN or online multiplayer in 99.9% of cases. There are a few exceptions where two people can play two player on one computer but these exceptions are rare (if you don't count ROMs, which is console again).

Also, it's unfair to count the cost of TVs in with consoles either, as a TV is not a "console player only" thing. Very few exclusively PC gamers who use consoles infrequently do not own a TV. I've known a few, but they're rare. If anything, I have an extra TV in my computer room so I can watch TV while I play PC games.

PC gaming is a more expensive hobby than console gaming, if you take it seriously.


I did not include the cost of TVs in the numbers, I just mentioned it as an after thought. I'm including the controller because I personally had to buy a second controller for all of my consoles. I also think it helps to balance out the other devices people invest in for their consoles (lightguns?) or the exorbitant amount of games people purchase. Like I said it's not completely accurate, but I think it's a pretty good estimate. One controller and 10 games over the life of a console is a fairly common scenario.

Building PCs is an expensive hobby. However building an up to date machine every 5-6 years to compete with a standard console does not have to be.

Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 2:02am by GuardianFaith


Of course, one who is a serious PC gamer will be upgrading parts of their system every 2-3 years, some every 1-2. :)
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#7 Jul 23 2010 at 3:31 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Yeah, all that makes sense over the long run; and I know this is supposed to be a fun exercise and all, but many people don't really look at things this way.

So I'll give a personal extremely myopic anecdote instead...:)

I've always had a computer around and always a game system.

When dedicated video cards came out I almost always had a middle of the road model and ran games a bit above recommended specs; fun times were had by all. I only bought a couple of games here and there or just played virus ridden shareware.

As a console gamer I've only been partial to maybe 2-10 games depending on each system and the number has exponentially dropped as console games just don't appeal to me nearly as much.

I now just have an Xbox 360 (purchased as a gift for me), a copy of Lost Odyssey I've still yet to finish, Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead I let my friend borrow. I just finished the remake of Monkey Island 2 and will probably download this new game Limbo that looks pretty cool. But mainly I just watch Netflix on it.

I don't even have a PS3, nor did I ever want one.

To be honest the only reason why I even had the later generation consoles was to play games from Square and other RPGs. Now there are virtually none. The latter part of SNES, Playstation 1 and 2 were the epitome of this. Now, not so much.

With all of that needless bull out of the way all I'm thinking is; I have a computer that will probably run FFXIV; if not then I can upgrade for $200 and still get some use out of for the next few years. Or I can buy a PS3 for $300 and have it be a paper weight. I would have to buy an extra TV or monitor or RGB cable or something as I only have 1 TV.

So what I mean is people will look at their current situation and other opportunity costs that go along with buying one or the other. Not only do I like playing on the computer but it will be cheaper for me as well. I'm glad SE decided to put FFXI on the PC just as I'm glad they are putting such an effort for FFXIV as well.
#8 Jul 23 2010 at 4:09 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Yeah, people can see it from different perspectives. My example-being a complete console guy with ffxi(and a few sims games-simfarm was real fun and completely underrated btw) being rare exceptions. I'm in the midst of getting a real gaming pc for the 1st time so the price seems steep. If XIV were to be released on PS3 in september I'd have to really consider that instead.

I've also gotten a bit fed up with console gaming to the point that I sold my 360 and games off for nowhere near their worth a few months back. Anyway, a PS3 doesn't appeal to me beyond FFXIV, and the desire to play in september justifies(in my mind) the building of a fairly pricey pc. But it doesn't have to end up looking like an irrational large purchase for the sake of 1 game if I do it properly.(Not get too crazy with the expenses and leave ample room for upgrading) Who knows, I may get a long life out of it and enjoy lots of games...perhaps turning into a *gasp* pc gamer. Though currently I'm seeing it from the perspective of a guy who's lost it and is prepared to dump way too much money just to play 1 game at its release. It's all about the perspective...
#9 Jul 23 2010 at 6:49 AM Rating: Good
**
592 posts
Most console gamers did not buy almost every single console released since the first Nintendo. You also inflated the average cost of games to roughly $60, though the earlier games cost significantly less. That also ignores the existence of used game retailers which certainly date back to the Nintendo.

The PC section is then glossed over in a few generalized statements. A $1000 PC/Monitor combo will NOT get you a great PC to game on for 4-5 years. I am not an avid PC gamer, though I do prefer it to console gaming. I have built a new computer roughly every 3-4 years. Many people do it quicker than that. Most gamers spend upwards of $1000 for the actual PC itself, ignoring peripherals. Also, home computers were easily $3-4000 in the 80s.

Even with the flaws in the comparison, the past doesn't particularly matter. PC gaming is trending downwards. Fewer and fewer developers are releasing games on the PC, primarily due to the greater ease of pirating. Several major developers have stated that as a reason against PC ports, at the very least. What that means is, the $1400 PC it takes to run XIV very well, though it should be capable of gaming with minor part changes for the next 5 years, will have fewer and fewer selections of what to play as opposed to the PS3.

On a final note, cost effectiveness isn't always the most important factor in people's financial decisions. More often than not, cost of entry is their largest issue. For those that need to build a new PC (almost every player planning on XIV, based on the threads), spending $300 for a PS3 is easier to swallow than spending 4-5 times that on a computer that doesn't do much more than the one they have now.
____________________________
Inralkil-Seraph 75NIN/75SAM/68BST

Retired: Inra-Dark Crag 40/40 Witch Elf
Retired: Hollow-Thunderlord 70 Warlock S1/S3 T4 SL/SL
Retired: Horknee-Thunderlord 70 Druid T4/T5 Feral
#10 Jul 23 2010 at 7:22 AM Rating: Good
**
394 posts
Sorry, but the whole point of being a PC gamer is that you can't use averages to measure how much we spend on upgrades and such. We actually have a wide variety of choices in all price ranges, and varying income situations throughout our lifetimes can be responsible for shifting from budget machines to high end machines, perhaps down to mid-range stuff, and everywhere in between. There is also a big difference between people who buy their computers pre-built, and people who build their own, selectively upgrading single components with a staggered approach. On top of that, how often one upgrades also varies according to several different factors.

Console prices slowly decrease over time, but you aren't given much choice when it comes to hardware selection. Because we have much more freedom to decide how we fit into the PC gaming spectrum, you really can't come up with any fair numbers to compare us to console gamers. In general, it's more expensive to be a PC gamer, because upgrades tend to happen more often than consoles are released, and upgrades are often costlier than consoles (even if you count an extra controller). But even that's not always true, and you certainly can't quantify that sort of generalization.

One last thing: Console gamers don't need to buy OS licenses.
#11 Jul 23 2010 at 7:24 AM Rating: Default
**
423 posts
Quote:
Building PCs is an expensive hobby. However building an up to date machine every 5-6 years to compete with a standard console does not have to be.


Nope, you will be very behind when a console is out then you have to upgrade. A computer now to compete with PS3/Xbox still costs a lot. I would estimate most "PC Gamers" upgrade every 2-3 years. This does not include minor upgrade like video cards and operating systems. Saying they only upgrade 4-5 years is wrong because if sitting down now i had a 4-5 year old computer i couldn't even dream of playing FFXIV benchmark, and to upgrade to decent pc would still cost a fair bit. Any PC gamer keeps a relatively up to date system, i know i used to be one.

Quote:
Most PC gamers that I know buy about 2-3 games per year (because of the replay value) at most and a new computer every 4-5 years.


What pc gamer are you thinking of? 2-3 games per year? This is the most unbelievably casual gamer i have ever seen in my life. Unless you are playing MMO's this is an incredibly low number. There's a huge amount of games out for the PC and they sell very well, i think you are severely underestimating how many games PC gamers buy. Go on steam, theres a ton to buy on there and i guarantee people buy them. Left for dead 1/2, half lifes, strategies... so many.

Quote:
For $1,000 you can build a computer with recent technology and a nice monitor.


Please show me any computer that will run FFXIV, or FFXIII as well as any ps3/xbox will for $1000 including monitor.

Quote:
AND LET's NOT FORGET THE TELEVISION UPGRADE REQUIRED for console gaming


Required? Are you crazy? You can play as many games as you want on any TV you want. Besides what person now adays owns a console and goes out to buy a new tv with it because it is "Required". My friends child has a tube tv he plays his xbox360 on, they were not required to upgrade were they. I bought an HD tv well, well before i ever bought my PS3 and it would never "make" me buy one if i was still on tube.

Also adding TV is wrong to the costs, i use my monitor and computer speakers, theres tons of option. Plus a lot of people already have a tv or use a cheap tv.

The last hole i will punch in your... horrible horrible informational eye bleeder is that you are purchasing every single console available. This is completely unrealistic. The average gamer buys 1 maybe 2 consoles, they do not buy every single one since the beginning of time. Secondly you are forgetting used games, every console HAS used games, every computer does not. A lot of people go to gamestop and other companies to buy used games, this cuts 25%-50% off the prices of the games. Edit - Not to mention you can sell the games once you are done, the average gamer will do this. PC Gamers must hold onto their. Cycling games becomes incredibly cheap this way for console gamers.

To finish i am just saying that your post is incredibly bias towards computer gaming. It not only lacks any logical substance but also lacks any arguement whatsoever. I love my PC gaming and will always support it but i also actively support Console gaming because it is so much incredibly cheaper. I agree there are extremes to all these people too, but you're missing sooo many valuable points you step on your own toes and destroy your own points.

Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 8:21am by boriss
#12 Jul 23 2010 at 12:44 PM Rating: Default
*
209 posts
Well I guess that depends on if you want to play PC games on the cutting edge or if you just want to get by. Its only July and so far I bought 22 PC games. Mostly because I just switched from console to PC gaming this year. I just upgraded my PC in march and if I want to have a enjoyable experience in FFXIV I am going to need to upgrade my PC again come September. But thats the price you pay to be on the cutting edge of PC gaming!
#13 Jul 23 2010 at 1:06 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
743 posts
No love for the 3DO. I loved that system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_Interactive_Multiplayer
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#14 Jul 23 2010 at 1:46 PM Rating: Good
***
1,457 posts
Lol jesus christ maybe I should just delete this entire post. I said it was for my own entertainment, no reason for any of you to be upset. Relax.
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#15 Jul 23 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
Please show me any computer that will run FFXIV, or FFXIII as well as any ps3/xbox will for $1000 including monitor.


PS3 will run FFXIV in 720p on low-med settings.

Quote:
Unless you are playing MMO's this is an incredibly low number.


Most PC gamers play MMOs and FPS. Usually for around 3-6 years stretches.

Quote:
Also adding TV is wrong to the costs, i use my monitor and computer speakers, theres tons of option. Plus a lot of people already have a tv or use a cheap tv.


I already stated that the cost of the TV was not included in the numbers. It was an afterthought. I buy new TVs every few years to scale with my consoles. I also stated that this is based off of my own experience.

Quote:

The last hole i will punch in your... horrible horrible informational eye bleeder is that you are purchasing every single console available. This is completely unrealistic. The average gamer buys 1 maybe 2 consoles, they do not buy every single one since the beginning of time.


So the average console player is 12 years old? Depending on when you started gaming, I highly doubt that you'd end up with 1-2 consoles. You'd still be playing Super Nintendo.

Quote:
Secondly you are forgetting used games, every console HAS used games, every computer does not. A lot of people go to gamestop and other companies to buy used games, this cuts 25%-50% off the prices of the games. Edit - Not to mention you can sell the games once you are done, the average gamer will do this. PC Gamers must hold onto their. Cycling games becomes incredibly cheap this way for console gamers.


I did not forget this, in fact I mentioned it clearly. It is very normal for people to buy 10 brand new games over the lifetime of a console. "Unless they're playing MMOS".. oh wait there were no MMOs on consoles until FFXI on PS2. Oh and how much do you get for a used game from gamestop? Last I checked they pay you about 10-20% of the retail value.

You may think you know what you're saying
Quote:
but you're missing sooo many valuable points you step on your own toes and destroy your own points
because you took 1/2 of what I said out of context and threw a fit.
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#16 Jul 23 2010 at 2:36 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Gaming in general is a pretty expensive hobby. Let's not forget that some people are both PC gamers and console gamers - wow the money we spend!

But then again, a good night at the club can cost 100+ bucks so it evens out :p

It was a good excuse for me to stop drinking, anyway. More money for games!
#17 Jul 23 2010 at 4:47 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
Quote:

The last hole i will punch in your... horrible horrible informational eye bleeder is that you are purchasing every single console available. This is completely unrealistic. The average gamer buys 1 maybe 2 consoles, they do not buy every single one since the beginning of time.


So the average console player is 12 years old? Depending on when you started gaming, I highly doubt that you'd end up with 1-2 consoles. You'd still be playing Super Nintendo.


I'm agreeing with Guardian here. I've owned:

Atari
NES
SNES
Genesis
N64
PS1 & mini PS1
PS2
360

So over the past 25 years, that averages out to a new system every 2-3 years.

You say that "The average gamer buys 1 maybe 2 consoles". Let's assume those two consoles are PS3 and PS2. That would mean they're roughly 12-14 years old. And don't try to get technical with "Well, it doesn't count if their parents buy it for them" because the same could be said about a computer; it doesn't matter -who- is spending the money, it matters -how much- money is spent.

The average games is 35 years old and has been playing games for 12 years. Assuming 2-3 years per console, that's 4-6 consoles in total that the "average gamer" has purchased. Personally, I've been gaming for over two decades, but that's me.

Surely, there are some people who have only ever just bought one console (my parents own a Wii and nothing else), just as there have been people who have only ever bought one computer. But the "average" person has owned far more.

I still submit that PC gaming is more expensive than console gaming, but to say "The average gamer buys 1 maybe 2 consoles"? I find this extremely unlikely.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#18 Jul 23 2010 at 4:51 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Torrence wrote:
Gaming in general is a pretty expensive hobby. Let's not forget that some people are both PC gamers and console gamers - wow the money we spend!


I'd say "You have no idea" but you probably do.

I don't trade in, give away, or sell any of my games, ever. Only exception was my Atari, which my parents sold to buy me an NES because I was a child and had no say in the matter. Other than that, I still own my NES and every game I've ever bought for it, and every game and console and accessory (power glove ftw) that I've purchased since.

Same goes for computers, too. I've got six computers dating back to a 200 MHz Dell Optiplex GXi sitting in my closet. People like to give me their old systems when they upgrade, and I just keep them. I don't know why.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#19 Jul 23 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Decent
**
423 posts
Quote:
I buy new TVs every few years to scale with my consoles. I also stated that this is based off of my own experience.


and the average person does not, i can almost bet.

Quote:
PS3 will run FFXIV in 720p on low-med settings.


This isn't a computer, you claimed one would play it. Also PS3 will probably do better then low-med, FFXIII uses the same engine, i almost bet it will be med-high.

Quote:
So the average console player is 12 years old? Depending on when you started gaming, I highly doubt that you'd end up with 1-2 consoles. You'd still be playing Super Nintendo.


Let me correct myself then, average gamer does not buy a snes,genesis and saturn. The average does not buy ps1 and n64, the average does not buy ps2,xbox and gamecube. The average gamer does not buy xbox360, wii and ps3.

I don't know any friends that own all 3 of any of those. I might be the only one that owned ps2,xbox and gamecube.

Quote:
Oh and how much do you get for a used game from gamestop?


Kijiji? Craigslist? E-bay? Who said it has to be gamestop....

Quote:
because you took 1/2 of what I said out of context and threw a fit.


Maybe i took some of it out of context, but i did not throw a fit, do not insult me again please. You made a rational statement and so did i, there was no throwing of "fits". Please leave the insulting out the thread again.


Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 4:55pm by boriss

Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 4:56pm by boriss
#20 Jul 23 2010 at 5:09 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
For the sake of argument:

boriss wrote:
Quote:
So the average console player is 12 years old? Depending on when you started gaming, I highly doubt that you'd end up with 1-2 consoles. You'd still be playing Super Nintendo.


Let me correct myself then, average gamer does not buy a snes,genesis and saturn. The average does not buy ps1 and n64, the average does not buy ps2,xbox and gamecube. The average gamer does not buy xbox360, wii and ps3.

I don't know any friends that own all 3 of any of those. I might be the only one that owned ps2,xbox and gamecube.


I owned an SNES and a Genesis (no saturn). I also owned two PS1s and an N64. I didn't buy an xbox or a gamecube, but my fiancee's family had a PS2, a GC, and an xbox. My sister and her husband own a PS3, a Wii, and a PS3.

I'm well aware that anecdotal evidence does not a statistic make; just pointing out that some people do buy multiple consoles of the same generation. The only reason I personally do not own a Saturn, XBOX, GC, Wii, or PS3 is because there are not enough games on any of these systems that I want badly enough to warrant the purchase of a new system for them. It had nothing to do with not being able to afford them; I just didn't want enough games for them. I could probably think of half a dozen games at most I'd want for any of those systems.

Most of the consoles I do own, I have a library of 30-50 (or more) games for. PS2 and NES top the charts in that department. (PC outshines them all due to the nature of the platform, but that's not a console). I don't like buying a console if I will eventually end up with less than 20 games for it before the next gen is released.

Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 7:11pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#21 Jul 23 2010 at 5:10 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
.. oh man.

Quote:
FFXIII uses the same engine

FFXIII is offline and does not count. To counter-balance this, the settings for FFXIV will have to be lower.

Quote:
Please show me any computer that will run FFXIV, or FFXIII as well as any ps3/xbox will for $1000 including monitor.


Do you really want me to go find one on newegg or something? If we go with the fact that FFXIV is running in 720p and theorize with you that it will be on med-high settings; then any $1000 comp will easily run it as well as ps3/xbox. If we subscribe to the other idea that it will not run on medium to high but rather medium-low (as FFXI was on PS2 vs PC), you would not need to spend nearly as much on a computer to match this performance. I really don't think this is up for debate.

If you can't help but argue with this, be my guest. I won't be replying at this point.

____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#22 Jul 23 2010 at 5:16 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
Quote:
Please show me any computer that will run FFXIV, or FFXIII as well as any ps3/xbox will for $1000 including monitor.


Do you really want me to go find one on newegg or something? If we go with the fact that FFXIV is running in 720p and theorize with you that it will be on med-high settings; then any $1000 comp will easily run it as well as ps3/xbox. If we subscribe to the other idea that it will not run on medium to high but rather medium-low (as FFXI was on PS2 vs PC), you would not need to spend nearly as much on a computer to match this performance. I really don't think this is up for debate.

If you can't help but argue with this, be my guest. I won't be replying at this point.



Also for the sake of argument, here's my system:

$80 - Case
$150 - Monitor
$50 - KB/mouse
$100 - Motherboard
$130 - CPU
$170 - GPU
$110 - RAM
$75 - PSU
$140 - OS
$55 - HD
$20 - DVD-RW

Total is $1080. If we change the OS from W7 Pro to Home Premium, that's -40. Knock the case down from an $80 one to a $40 one and that's -80. Total is exactly $1000 if I were running Home Premium and had a meh case. Bench 4000/2600. Will run FFXIV.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#23 Jul 23 2010 at 6:19 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
520 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
All of it is completely just an uneducated guess.


It sure is easy to just make up some numbers and throw them around like they pertain to 99% of every one. In the last 6 years I've spent about $1000 on consoles and their games, so that works out to $167 a year. Your nearly $2000/5yr for console gaming is ridiculous. Seriously, think about it. How many people spend $400 a year for gaming, console or otherwise?

Not everyone buys 10 games, not everyone pays $60 for a new game, not everyone buys extra controllers, not everyone buys every single console system ever made.

Too many people hating on consoles, and too many people hating on PCs. Just like the MAC vs. PC argument, it's all just another special olympics ending...

Edited, Jul 23rd 2010 6:20pm by jschaub
____________________________
FFXI: Nyse - PLD, DNC, DRG
Asura Server

FFXIV: Nyse Celestre - Working on PLD
Ridill Server...for now.
#24 Jul 23 2010 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
Yeah, unfortunately I don't think you can really break it down like this because there is just too much variation. I've already spent about $5000 this year alone on my PC, and that doesn't include things like games, MMO subscriptions, etc.
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#25 Jul 23 2010 at 6:34 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
620$ ona new pc so far (will be upgrading lots on it)
ps3 games..500ish (might be more might be less)
xbox games 150
wii games 70$ and remote 30$
buying seasons of tv shows cuz i wwann watch tehm on my own time and dont fee liek downlaoding 120$

that just this year. so far.. upgrading the pc probably going to cost me at least another 300-400$
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)