Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
This Forum is Read Only

Surnames. Love or hate it?Follow

#1 Jul 25 2010 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
15 posts
How do you guys feel about being forced to have a first AND last name in FFXIV?

Personally I don't like it at all... My main gripe with it is too many joke names will be spawned due to the extra freedom when choosing a name. Examples "Doctor Who", "Pwning Yourface" or the dreaded million variations we're likely to see of "Strife" "Highwind" etc...

I heard that both first and last names will be unique (can someone confirm?) so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Your thoughts?
____________________________
i7 930 - ASUS P6X58D Premium
ATI 5870 - 6GB DDR3 (1600mhz,tri-channel)
Corsair 750TX PSU - 1TB HD - Antec 1200 Full Tower
5043 High Benchmark Score (No overclocking)
#2 Jul 25 2010 at 7:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
118 posts
Guild Wars has a two name system, and I think it works well for them. Most people have a serious name. Some don't, but they wouldn't have a serious name if there was no surname required, either. I think having to make a surname makes most people think about actual names that, even if silly, are at least actual names. I've seen fewer joke or nonsense names in Guild Wars than in FFXI.

Edited, Jul 25th 2010 9:50pm by Solimurr
#3 Jul 25 2010 at 7:51 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
239 posts
At first I didn't care for it since I am very uncreative it was hard enough to come up with a first name haha. However I have found a surname to be better in the long run so people can get the name they want for the most part.

It is either a surname or typing special characters such as Ö to get the name you want. I thought I read somewhere (not sure) that the surname will be unique but the first name will not.
____________________________
Survivor of the Twinkling Treant - 2003
FFXI - Cerberus - 99 PUP, 75 BST-RDM-BLU
FFXIV - Besaid -> Balmung - 9/23/10

#4 Jul 25 2010 at 7:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
398 posts
I like it.
#5 Jul 25 2010 at 7:54 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
I thought I read somewhere (not sure) that the surname will be unique but the first name will not.


That was the whole point behind SE's naming plan.

You could have Dorgon Jones, Dorgon Smith, etc etc.

Some may not like it, but the alternative is a lot of people not being able to play with the name they want. Even Pikko had to lose her name in XI when the server merge came. This would not be a problem in XIV.
#6 Jul 25 2010 at 7:57 PM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Even Pikko had to lose her name in XI when the server merge came. This would not be a problem in XIV.
Has she tracked down whoever owns that mule and destroyed their life yet?
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#7 Jul 25 2010 at 7:58 PM Rating: Decent
15 posts
Quote:
I thought I read somewhere (not sure) that the surname will be unique but the first name will not.


So your last name is basically your first name since it's the only unique name you have? :P

I wonder if you have to type out someones full name to send them a whisper/tell or just the surname. Hmmm...
____________________________
i7 930 - ASUS P6X58D Premium
ATI 5870 - 6GB DDR3 (1600mhz,tri-channel)
Corsair 750TX PSU - 1TB HD - Antec 1200 Full Tower
5043 High Benchmark Score (No overclocking)
#8 Jul 25 2010 at 8:00 PM Rating: Good
**
602 posts
LOVE IT!!!!!
____________________________
BANNED

#9 Jul 25 2010 at 8:02 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
Personally, I don't like the idea. This is mainly due to my inability to come up with a creative last name. I have plenty of first names I came go with, but not last names. What would go well with Artega or Ophelion? I have no idea.... Because of this, I came up with a joke name. I really don't want to use it, but it's the only name I can come up with that sounds decent other than actual real names. Seymour Butz anyone? I know, I know it's a bad joke name, but it works. Plus it includes 2 FF character names.
____________________________
#10 Jul 25 2010 at 8:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*
239 posts
MrSchwarz wrote:
I wonder if you have to type out someones full name to send them a whisper/tell or just the surname. Hmmm...


I also remember reading that you can make up a nickname for someone to use in sending them /tells.

Edited, Jul 25th 2010 9:04pm by Dorgon
____________________________
Survivor of the Twinkling Treant - 2003
FFXI - Cerberus - 99 PUP, 75 BST-RDM-BLU
FFXIV - Besaid -> Balmung - 9/23/10

#11 Jul 25 2010 at 8:07 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
239 posts
swisa wrote:
What would go well with Artega or Ophelion?


Artega Borealis?

Yeah I am bad with surnames also haha.
____________________________
Survivor of the Twinkling Treant - 2003
FFXI - Cerberus - 99 PUP, 75 BST-RDM-BLU
FFXIV - Besaid -> Balmung - 9/23/10

#12 Jul 25 2010 at 8:07 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
602 posts

In Final Fantasy XI when you added someone to your friend's list you can name them whatever you want to appear on your friend's list. Perhaps they'll take this approach when you send someone a message/tell in game. Say if you added Pikko but instead wanted to appear as GardenQueen on your friend's list, you would then have to /tell GardenQueen to get a tell to her instead of the typing her full name out.
#13 Jul 25 2010 at 8:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Wait, so you don't have to worry about losing that first name you always so desperately want but have stolen from you within seconds of getting into the live release? Genius! Although, it does raise the question of what type of surname would be appropriate... Hmm.

Also, it worries me that I'm just learning this with a little under 2 months to go.
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#14 Jul 25 2010 at 8:22 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
w34v3r wrote:
Wait, so you don't have to worry about losing that first name you always so desperately want but have stolen from you within seconds of getting into the live release? Genius! Although, it does raise the question of what type of surname would be appropriate... Hmm.

Also, it worries me that I'm just learning this with a little under 2 months to go.


Indeed, 2 months isn't enough time for such deep thinking! And that totally kills the 1 idea I did have...
#15 Jul 25 2010 at 8:23 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I read it as any first+last name combinations will have to be unique, as in there can be a Bob Jones and a Bob Smith and a Tom Jones, and a Tom Smith.

I'm hoping that surnames are not unique; I was hoping that my fiancee and I could give our characters the same surname. But if we can't, I guess we'll live.

I kinda like the idea of a surname, but wish they weren't mandatory. Again, I'll live; not a huge deal.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#16 Jul 25 2010 at 8:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
Indeed, 2 months isn't enough time for such deep thinking! And that totally kills the 1 idea I did have...


You get my point. :P
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#17 Jul 25 2010 at 8:25 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Don't like it. I've always gone by just one name and I've never once had a problem with someone else taking the name. I'd be happy if the surname was optional, because I'd just not use it.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#18 Jul 25 2010 at 8:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Mikhalia wrote:
I read it as any first+last name combinations will have to be unique, as in there can be a Bob Jones and a Bob Smith and a Tom Jones, and a Tom Smith.


This is correct. Smiley: cool


bsphil wrote:
Don't like it. I've always gone by just one name and I've never once had a problem with someone else taking the name. I'd be happy if the surname was optional, because I'd just not use it.


I felt exactly this way too. But I'm used to my surname now, and am even pretty happy with it. I'm like the other posters here who said they've got no creativity when it comes to that sort of thing, so it took me a while to decide.

Edited, Jul 25th 2010 7:28pm by Osarion
#19 Jul 25 2010 at 8:27 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
I read it as any first+last name combinations will have to be unique, as in there can be a Bob Jones and a Bob Smith and a Tom Jones, and a Tom Smith.


This is correct. Smiley: cool


Glad to hear that, then.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#20 Jul 25 2010 at 8:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Tom Jones


You can leave your hat on...
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#21 Jul 25 2010 at 9:08 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Wint wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
Tom Jones


You can leave your hat on...


Goddammit now that song will be stuck in my head.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#22 Jul 25 2010 at 9:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
56 posts
For those of you short on ideas, here's a trick I was taught some time ago:

Look up the etymologies of two words: the first being a word meaningful to you, and the second, a word that describes what you do (some will do where they are from.)

Use any standard dictionary--on or offline--to find the etymologies and mince appropriately. I typically like to take the first part of the first word and tack it onto the second part of the second word. Example

Enigma (nice word) + Jumper (Dragoon!)

Quote:
From Latin aenigma (“‘riddle’”), from Ancient Greek αἴνιγμα (ainigma), “‘dark saying, riddle’”).

Quote:
From Middle English jumpen (“‘to walk quickly, run, jump’”), probably of Low Saxon or North Germanic origin.


So Aenigen. Or perhaps Aigen. Maybe Ainigamen? Some creativity is required, of course. :p
#23 Jul 25 2010 at 9:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
256 posts
Dont like it. I want to use Raion again but with the addition of the surname, it makes me want to go a completely different direction for names (maybe roman). Raion + a surname just doesnt sound right to me.
____________________________
*Retired :: August 2002 - December 2005*
Raion
Ragnarok Server
Linkshells: DigitalBackSpin, DBSDynamis, CKofVD
PLD75-WAR45-RDM30-BLM30-WHM25-NIN25-THF25-RNG10-BST9
Goldsmith 85, Blacksmith 30
#24 Jul 25 2010 at 9:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Was iffy on it at first, but now I like it. Most people actually seem to take the time to come up with an actual NAME rather than use whatever they make their username for **** like their email and forums. Though there are still plenty of uncreative people who will no doubt rip their names from other places, I think in general names will be better.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#25 Jul 25 2010 at 9:33 PM Rating: Good
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Wint wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
Tom Jones


You can leave your hat on...


Goddammit now that song will be stuck in my head.


Glad I could infect someone else Smiley: nod

Might have to dig out the Full Monty again now.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#26 Jul 25 2010 at 10:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
57 posts
I rather have 1 name like FFXI. Be much easier to send tells to people by just typing 1 name...
____________________________
[img]http://xivpads.com/sig/i/2166907/xivpads.png[/img]
#27 Jul 25 2010 at 10:30 PM Rating: Good
**
327 posts
Dunno how it will work out in the end, whispering and such to people. I wasn't sure how I felt about having a surname TBH, but it's not the first game I've had to deal with that. But like most FFXI vets, I'm used to being "me". Some of us have acquired, or given nicknames to our "nicknames". Now to add a 2nd name changes the dynamics of it all! I've been pondering names for a few days now, and nothing goes well after LordDVS. I may have to finally retire that name, even though I've used it for 15 years in many places other than FFXI alone. It will be weird, finally reuniting with old friends, only now, we may have to get used to calling each other by new names.

With that being said, I've come up with a few names, still working on new ideas. I plan to dive in FFXIV on the 22nd of September (just right before my birthday too!) and establish my new persona:

Ludicrous Maximus!!!
(jk, stupid name. it's a freebie!)
____________________________

FFXI - LordDVS <Bismarck> BLU75 DRK75 SAM75 BST75 PLD75


#28 Jul 26 2010 at 12:04 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I really don't care for it either. I have a hard enough time coming up with one good name.

Plus having one name and one name only is pretty 'l33t.'

In any case I have a few names picked out, usually in other languages; so it will be something pretentious I'm sure of it. :)

Like: Versteckt = hidden in German. However as it stands now, it sounds like a last name more than anything. Ugh...
#29 Jul 26 2010 at 12:25 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
BizzyMe wrote:
I rather have 1 name like FFXI. Be much easier to send tells to people by just typing 1 name...


Have you not read about the nickname system?

Basically, let's say you do /t Johnathan

The game will ask you if you meant Johnathan Smith, Johnathan Jones, Johnathan Brown, Johnathan Sanders... once you tell it you meant Johnathan Brown, you can assign him a nickname (say JohnB) and from now on "/t johnb" will go to Johnathan Brown.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#30 Jul 26 2010 at 12:28 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Kierk wrote:
I really don't care for it either. I have a hard enough time coming up with one good name.

Plus having one name and one name only is pretty 'l33t.'

In any case I have a few names picked out, usually in other languages; so it will be something pretentious I'm sure of it. :)

Like: Versteckt = hidden in German. However as it stands now, it sounds like a last name more than anything. Ugh...


I've always wondered what people of other languages felt about foreigners using names in their language. And then I played FFXI.

There were players in XI (JP players) who had names like "Flower" and "Peanut" and "Lampshell".

Kinda weird seeing it from the other side.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#31 Jul 26 2010 at 1:02 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Mikhalia wrote:


I've always wondered what people of other languages felt about foreigners using names in their language. And then I played FFXI.

There were players in XI (JP players) who had names like "Flower" and "Peanut" and "Lampshell".

Kinda weird seeing it from the other side.



Yeah there were a lot of really cool names the JP players would use. One guy was named "Earth" and another was named "Guitar." They seemed completely out of context; but I think that might be specific to Japan as evidenced by the aftermarket Honda parts maker "Spoon." Or Japanese seat company "Bride."
#32 Jul 26 2010 at 4:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
74 posts
Hate it, just because i have no idea whatsoever what my last name is going be O_o
____________________________
You're never gonna feel You're never gonna heal
You're never gonna know what's fake or real
'Til you know who you are
You're lying to your face And running in a race
You're never gonna win 'til you find your place
And you know who you are
#33 Jul 26 2010 at 5:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
I have a feeling there will be many adventurers from the "Jenkins" family >.>

I don't think it'll really matter that much, there's likely to be some user-friendly interface that lets you assign a tag to someone so you don't have to memorise their first+surname. Besides that, most people will probably remember you by whichever name is shorter or easier to type.

It's an interesting concept though, because for example, Japanese refer to each other generally using surnames with an honorific at the end to denote how close they are to the other person (unless they are really close to each other); whereas strangers in western society will refer to each other on a first name basis. I hope this doesn't cause too much tension when we're all playing together lol
____________________________
War 75 Nin75 Sam75
#34 Jul 26 2010 at 5:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts


Love being able to have a surname.

Hate the fact that anyone else could have either the same first name or surname you do. I really don't want to see ANYONE else using the first name OR surname I am.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#35 Jul 26 2010 at 6:50 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
255 posts
Neither love nor hate - it's simply a barrier keeping me from getting into the game.

Call me Chalky Gumthrower for all I care as long as I can run around Eorzea having fun :)
____________________________
[img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/15834_3d32ad424a3db4b1.png[/img]
#36 Jul 26 2010 at 7:05 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
I was an outspoken critic of making surnames required before, and though I'm still not pleased with the move, I've spoken my peace about it.

My next concern is a character limit for names. I heard a number tossed out in a thread before, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Does anybody know what the character limit is for names? And is it for first + last name total, or is there a set limit for each part of the name?

Thanks.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#37 Jul 26 2010 at 7:18 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
18 posts
At first I didn't like it, but then I found 2 names that sounded really good together, so I'm happy.

I wonder if when 2 people get married one of them can take the last name of the other?
____________________________
Begin at the beginning
and go on till you come to the end:
then stop.
#38 Jul 26 2010 at 7:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
935 posts
Two thumbs up
____________________________
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=311334
#39 Jul 26 2010 at 7:26 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
Fizzlewink wrote:
At first I didn't like it, but then I found 2 names that sounded really good together, so I'm happy.

I wonder if when 2 people get married one of them can take the last name of the other?


If she can divorce me and take half my gils I don't want anything to do with it
#40 Jul 26 2010 at 7:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
568 posts
I don't get the silly names argument.

Pwning Yourface = Pwningyourface

Who cares if there's a space or not?
#41 Jul 26 2010 at 7:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
253 posts
I have played FF11 since the ps2 release, and while it's still going to be hard to switch games after all that time, it will be nice to take a part of that character with me. I plan on using my FF11 name as my surname in FF14, a little old with the new and all that.
____________________________
Fishing 100 Ebisu got
#42 Jul 26 2010 at 7:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
217 posts
Does anyone know if there's a limit to the amount of letters you can use in our last names?
____________________________
Aeloriel Autumnleaf - Ultros Server

Karma Zameleons - LS
The Kraken Club - Zam Free Company

It's not the destination, it's the Journey!

#43 Jul 26 2010 at 7:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
MrSchwarz wrote:
My main gripe with it is too many joke names will be spawned due to the extra freedom when choosing a name.


Good thing you don't control other players free will. Why do you care what other players name themselves?

Name yourself what you want and let us make our pun names.
____________________________


#44 Jul 26 2010 at 10:23 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
743 posts
Louiscool wrote:
MrSchwarz wrote:
My main gripe with it is too many joke names will be spawned due to the extra freedom when choosing a name.


Good thing you don't control other players free will. Why do you care what other players name themselves?

Name yourself what you want and let us make our pun names.


Colonel Angus at your service.
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#45 Jul 26 2010 at 11:17 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I don't care for joke names either. They rarely have any lasting appeal and tend to break the immersion. Plus those names are always the ones I hate calling someone by. People will do it if they please and that's fine, but if I had my druthers they wouldn't.

As for /telling and such, the idea in progress is that you'll designate a nickname to the people you /tell that you'll be able to use from then on. The details aren't known, but from what they've described, you'll be able to /tell kac and it will bring up a list of names that start with "kac". From there you can select Kachi and from then on, anytime you want to /tell me, you just type "/tell kac".

So it will actually be more convenient than XI in the long run (not due to the surnames, of course, just in general.)
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#46 Jul 26 2010 at 11:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,416 posts
I think it's a great idea and instantly knew what my name would be. Having a surname means that I will be more likely to get the name I really want.

I see some weird/joke names being used, but I also feel that separating them makes it a little more appealing to those against joke names. It will probably eliminate a large number of long name phrases (e.g. Petmykitty, etc.).
____________________________
Abort, Retry, Fail?
TeamAFK!

/equip Head Knowledge
You gain the latent effect of Power.
#47 Jul 26 2010 at 12:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
61 posts
LordDVS wrote:
Dunno how it will work out in the end, whispering and such to people. I wasn't sure how I felt about having a surname TBH, but it's not the first game I've had to deal with that. But like most FFXI vets, I'm used to being "me". Some of us have acquired, or given nicknames to our "nicknames". Now to add a 2nd name changes the dynamics of it all! I've been pondering names for a few days now, and nothing goes well after LordDVS. I may have to finally retire that name, even though I've used it for 15 years in many places other than FFXI alone. It will be weird, finally reuniting with old friends, only now, we may have to get used to calling each other by new names.

You know, since that's a bit of a unique name in itself... If the character limit lets you do it, wouldn't you like to just try out "Lord DVS"? That way it doesn't look so crammed together too. :)

Ah surnames. This brings back memories of EverQuest and how great the accomplishment felt when you reached level 20 and finally earned that special surname. The Gods (GMs) would appear and bestow upon you the holy blessing... lol.

I suppose because of that I'm somewhat used to the idea of a surname, though I've changed a bit since then (10 years ago...), and I'm not sure what I'd choose now. My first name will be Japanese, but I'm not sure I want to overload it with a Japanese surname too. I'll have to think on it. :) Actually, LordDVS gives me a bit of an idea.... "Lord" or "Lady" something or other XD
#48 Jul 26 2010 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
972 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
That was the whole point behind SE's naming plan.

You could have Dorgon Jones, Dorgon Smith, etc etc.


I can see it now... Sephiroth Jones, Sephiroth Johnson, Sephiroth Brown, Sephiroth Williams, Sephiroth Smith, etc...

I think I like the surname system, I just have no idea as to what it'd be. I'm so used to only having a single name.

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 1:35pm by KodoReturns
____________________________
~~ Puppetmaster // Scholar // Thief // Dancer // Blue Mage // Corsair // Geomancer // Ninja // Ranger // Summoner ~~
#49 Jul 26 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
Don't like it at all. The name I want to use doesn't go well with a surname at all. Now I will use it as a last name and have to decided on a first name.
____________________________
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571 - Mind Control Theories Used By Mass Media
#50 Jul 26 2010 at 12:57 PM Rating: Good
Eske wrote:
My next concern is a character limit for names. I heard a number tossed out in a thread before, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Does anybody know what the character limit is for names? And is it for first + last name total, or is there a set limit for each part of the name?


I'm pretty sure both first and last name has to be between 3-15 characters so you've got quite the length to come up with names.

As for my opinion on last names, early on when it was announced I thought it would be great but now I'm kind of on the fence for this one since I'm feeling pros and cons but eh not game breaking. Now to think of a name...

#51 Jul 26 2010 at 1:49 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
KodoReturns wrote:
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
That was the whole point behind SE's naming plan.

You could have Dorgon Jones, Dorgon Smith, etc etc.


I can see it now... Sephiroth Jones, Sephiroth Johnson, Sephiroth Brown, Sephiroth Williams, Sephiroth Smith, etc...

I think I like the surname system, I just have no idea as to what it'd be. I'm so used to only having a single name.

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 1:35pm by KodoReturns


It has always been joked that XI had more Sephiroth clones than VII. Now XIV will have even more.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
« Previous 1 2 3
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)