Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

FFXI going to FFXIV - Female vs Male CharacterFollow

#1 Jul 26 2010 at 12:52 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
935 posts
Eight years ago I tried out my first MMO, FFXI. Not knowing any better I made a female character. I knew MMOs were time consuming so I thought I would rather stare at a chick, than a dude. About level 45 or so it started to really hit me that I should have made a dude, but I figured I'd get to level 75 finish the missions and be done with FFXI. Then I discovered end-game.

Seven years later, my character has killed most everything on the server, completed a 100 + 3 craft and has completed all but the WoTG missions. Everyone that knows me on the server knows that it's a male controlling the female character. I dont try to hide it, I speak freely in ventrillo with my handle as my characters name. I'm not a role-player and have no strong identification with my character. I like the idea of keeping the female character because I have a lot of friends coming over FFXI and quite frankly I still would rather stare at a chick than a dude. So now being forced to create a new character, I'm at a crossroads with FFXIV coming out.

What do I do about my character?
Remake the character.:32 (60.4%)
Build a dude.:21 (39.6%)
Total:53



Edited, Jul 26th 2010 1:32pm by UnusedName
____________________________
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=311334
#2 Jul 26 2010 at 12:59 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
743 posts
Don't you know that referring to your ffxiv character as a "toon" will get you rated down?
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#3 Jul 26 2010 at 1:01 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
935 posts
I do now, lol!
____________________________
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=311334
#4 Jul 26 2010 at 1:10 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
1)
AngusX wrote:
Don't you know that referring to your ffxiv character as a "toon" will get you rated down?


2) Play whatever -you- want to play. I prefer female characters to male ones, myself, except in instances where the game has penalties/bonuses based on gender (Arcanum and Fallout 3 do) or where dialogue or other options are unlocked by being a certain gender (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout 3).

I think the only thing that really scratches at me as hypocritical is people who play female characters in games, but refuse to engage in romance storylines with male NPCs.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#5 Jul 26 2010 at 1:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
UnusedName wrote:
Eight years ago I tried out my first MMO, FFXI. Not knowing any better I made a female character. I knew MMOs were time consuming so I thought I would rather stare at a chick, than a dude. About level 45 or so it started to really hit me that I should have made a dude, but I figured I'd get to level 75 finish the missions and be done with FFXI. Then I discovered end-game.

Seven years later, my character has killed most everything on the server, completed a 100 + 3 craft and has completed all but the WoTG missions. Everyone that knows me on the server knows that it's a male controlling the female character. I dont try to hide it, I speak freely in ventrillo with my handle as my characters name. I'm not a role-player and have no strong identification with my character. I like the idea of keeping the female character because I have a lot of friends coming over FFXI and quite frankly I still would rather stare at a chick than a dude. So now being forced to create a new character, I'm at a crossroads with FFXIV coming out.

Poll Removed: No more than one per thread, please!


Edited, Jul 26th 2010 1:02pm by UnusedName

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 1:03pm by UnusedName


Fixed your poll
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#6 Jul 26 2010 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
568 posts
Sounds like you want to make a chick.

So make a chick.
#7 Jul 26 2010 at 1:23 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
::Sees topic title::
TOON?!?! RAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

I always pick a male character unless the stats are affected by gender, and certain ones are skewed towards females. Mainly just because with an in-game female character, there's a better chance that some people may assume that you're a female irl.

But yeah, everyone should play as whatever they want, just a meaningless preference thing.
____________________________
~~ Puppetmaster // Scholar // Thief // Dancer // Blue Mage // Corsair // Geomancer // Ninja // Ranger // Summoner ~~
#8 Jul 26 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
121 posts
Quote:
Don't you know that referring to your ffxiv character as a "toon" will get you rated down?


Not to derail the thread... okay, maybe... but seriously, can we get past this? There are going to be people from a number of different games coming to play FFXIV at launch and the terminology from all those games, including FFXI, is going to blend. Who really cares what someone calls their character? Or a character who does damage? We all need to get over our fanboyishness and start looking forward to the game and creating, growing, and exploring our characters and the new world.

OP: Make what you want. I had a male FFXI toon back in the day. I'll likely have a male now. I have several capped WoW classes - half are females. If you're that into staring at your character, make a female ;). I personally don't worry so much about what I'm looking at so much as how it represents me.
#9 Jul 26 2010 at 1:52 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
dalm wrote:
Who really cares what someone calls their character? Or a character who does damage? We all need to get over our fanboyishness and start looking forward to the game and creating, growing, and exploring our characters and the new world.


I care. Toon is an abbreviation for cartoon. If your character doesn't look like they'd show up on a kid's TV show, they are not a toon. Furthermore, DPS is the amount of damage per second you do, not what you are. Our group needs damage dealers, not damage per seconds.

This has nothing to do with fanboyishness and everything to do with the fact that they both sound retarded. Keep them the **** out of my FFXIV.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#10 Jul 26 2010 at 1:55 PM Rating: Excellent
**
409 posts
I'm less concerned with gender and more concerned with stats and animations. Since it seems like there won't be much difference in stats between the races or genders, my only concern left is animations. It's superficial I know, but I just hated the way elvaan guys looked when they cast magic in XI, or the way tarutaru looked when they swung a great sword, or even the difference between the way elvaan guys hold a polearm and the way elvaan women hold one.

I don't really care so much about gender, I just don't want my character to look like they're constipated when they're casting a spell, or like they're gonna fall over when they swing their weapon.
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#11 Jul 26 2010 at 1:56 PM Rating: Good
*
149 posts
I think melee armor looks better on male characters, and usually mage armor looks better on females - in FFXI anyway - who knows what XIV will be like.

I'll still be going with a guy though.
____________________________
Former THF, BST, PLD, NIN 75
#12 Jul 26 2010 at 2:01 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
I'm less concerned with gender and more concerned with stats and animations. Since it seems like there won't be much difference in stats between the races or genders, my only concern left is animations. It's superficial I know, but I just hated the way elvaan guys looked when they cast magic in XI, or the way tarutaru looked when they swung a great sword, or even the difference between the way elvaan guys hold a polearm and the way elvaan women hold one.

I don't really care so much about gender, I just don't want my character to look like they're constipated when they're casting a spell, or like they're gonna fall over when they swing their weapon.


Yeah, I had almost forgot about the atrocity of how a male Elvaan caster looks. Admittedly the ninjutsu animation wasn't bad, but Summoning and Black Magic were horrible.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#13 Jul 26 2010 at 2:13 PM Rating: Decent
Quote:
Toon is an abbreviation for cartoon. If your character doesn't look like they'd show up on a kid's TV show, they are not a toon. Furthermore, DPS is the amount of damage per second you do, not what you are. Our group needs damage dealers, not damage per seconds.


Toon yes, DD vs DPS debate not so much. DD and DPS are pretty much on the same line and it's fairly understood regardless. You can toss a rage fit over it but at the end of the day no one is going to cry a tear over calling a DD a DPS. (Except maybe you, I guess that makes one, right? Maybe I should amend that to nobody but you... hmm)

Play what you want or flip a coin. You don't need a community telling you to play *** B with Race A with Face Q with eye color F.



Edited, Jul 26th 2010 4:16pm by Kinoki
#14 Jul 26 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Kinoki wrote:
Quote:
Toon is an abbreviation for cartoon. If your character doesn't look like they'd show up on a kid's TV show, they are not a toon. Furthermore, DPS is the amount of damage per second you do, not what you are. Our group needs damage dealers, not damage per seconds.


Toon yes, DD vs DPS debate not so much. DD and DPS are pretty much on the same line and it's fairly understood regardless. You can toss a rage fit over it but at the end of the day no one is going to cry a tear over calling a DD a DPS. (Except maybe you, I guess that makes one, right? Maybe I should amend that to nobody but you... hmm)


I don't really see how you can make that argument. How can you say that it's inappropriate to refer to "my character" as "my toon" and in the same breath say that it is also acceptable to call "a damage dealer", "a damage per second"? If your argument is that "it's fairly understood", then the same applies to "toon". While I don't -like- the term "toon", I understand what someone means. So do you. My point was never that it is not understood, just that it's a retarded term when used in the way people are using it. If I refer to my inability to connect to the internet as "My interwebs are broken!", you'll understand what I'm saying, but it's still retarded to say it that way.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#15 Jul 26 2010 at 2:27 PM Rating: Excellent
**
409 posts
I will use character and DD, I don't give a **** if other people use toon or DPS. Stop derailing threads over nonsense.
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#16 Jul 26 2010 at 2:30 PM Rating: Decent
Quote:
I don't really see how you can make that argument. How can you say that it's inappropriate to refer to "my character" as "my toon" and in the same breath say that it is also acceptable to call "a damage dealer", "a damage per second"? If your argument is that "it's fairly understood", then the same applies to "toon". While I don't -like- the term "toon", I understand what someone means. So do you. My point was never that it is not understood, just that it's a retarded term when used in the way people are using it. If I refer to my inability to connect to the internet as "My interwebs are broken!", you'll understand what I'm saying, but it's still retarded to say it that way.


Because I'm not going to cry over if my char does their job as a DD or a DPS the result is the same. I do however care that I get referred to as a mickey cartoon vs a Characterized persona.

A DD creates DPS as an aftermath and can thus can be called either for the same effect. Getting called a toon is almost slander. It's like calling white people crackers. It's different in the way that it is recognized mentally. Getting called a DPS or DD falls so under the bridge while toon grates at the back of my head. It also is much easier to fill in blanks such that you read it as 'DPS class' and 'DD class' and don't have to assume the person is retarded because they decided to cut out an extra word in their shout or LFG message.

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 5:22pm by Kinoki
#17 Jul 26 2010 at 2:40 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
dalm wrote:
Who really cares what someone calls their character? Or a character who does damage? We all need to get over our fanboyishness and start looking forward to the game and creating, growing, and exploring our characters and the new world.


I care. Toon is an abbreviation for cartoon. If your character doesn't look like they'd show up on a kid's TV show, they are not a toon. Furthermore, DPS is the amount of damage per second you do, not what you are. Our group needs damage dealers, not damage per seconds.

This has nothing to do with fanboyishness and everything to do with the fact that they both sound retarded. Keep them the @#%^ out of my FFXIV.


Some one doesn't like DPS toons, I guess.

:D

It's not worth getting your blood pressure up over a simple difference of opinion when it comes to nomenclature. If you want to get all silly about it, you shouldn't say "toon" OR "character," you should say "avatar." That entity is your virtual agent within the game world and may or may not have any of the qualities of an actual fictional "character."

#18 Jul 26 2010 at 2:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
291 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Kinoki wrote:
Quote:
Toon is an abbreviation for cartoon. If your character doesn't look like they'd show up on a kid's TV show, they are not a toon. Furthermore, DPS is the amount of damage per second you do, not what you are. Our group needs damage dealers, not damage per seconds.


Toon yes, DD vs DPS debate not so much. DD and DPS are pretty much on the same line and it's fairly understood regardless. You can toss a rage fit over it but at the end of the day no one is going to cry a tear over calling a DD a DPS. (Except maybe you, I guess that makes one, right? Maybe I should amend that to nobody but you... hmm)


I don't really see how you can make that argument. How can you say that it's inappropriate to refer to "my character" as "my toon" and in the same breath say that it is also acceptable to call "a damage dealer", "a damage per second"? If your argument is that "it's fairly understood", then the same applies to "toon". While I don't -like- the term "toon", I understand what someone means. So do you. My point was never that it is not understood, just that it's a retarded term when used in the way people are using it. If I refer to my inability to connect to the internet as "My interwebs are broken!", you'll understand what I'm saying, but it's still retarded to say it that way.


I'd never referred my character to "toon" when I played WoW a couple of years ago, I'd always referred it as my char or character. But then I don't really mind people calling their character a toon or whatever they like to call. Come to think about it, if your character doesn't look like they'd show up on a kid's TV show, they are not a toon, I don't really agree with this statement when I looked at a lalafell (taru)...they do seem like a cartoon character that would possibly show up on a kid's TV show.

As for DD vs DPS, as I remembered, I often heard people refer damage classes (both melee and caster classes) DPS classes. And for the person that deals damage, they started with DPSer, then eventually became DPS. I personally don't mind which one people use, it's not rare to see people create their own terminology in real life neither. We all know FedEx is a name of a company, but people would use it as a verb of "send" nowadays. Same thing with Xeox, Photoshop and more.
#19 Jul 26 2010 at 3:34 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
Back to the main topic

I don't understand the argument that guys make that they would rather stare at a chicks *** the whole time they are playing then a dude. This is a video game and if you feel the need to have your character portray the *** you prefer in real life, then I suggest you set your controller down, turn off the games, and go outside for a while.
____________________________


#20 Jul 26 2010 at 4:00 PM Rating: Excellent
**
409 posts
But...but the sun...it hurts my eyes.

lol

I have played both male and female characters. I've played male mages, female tanks, female mages, male tanks. You get what I mean. I love making a female character that can beat the **** out of everything in sight. I also like having a male character that can kick the crap out of anything in sight. To me it's more important that I can kick *** and not look like a complete ****** doing it (a la FFXI Elvaan Male Summoner).
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#21 Jul 26 2010 at 4:46 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
Make a male miqo-te.

Oh, wait. You can't.

Sigh.
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#22 Jul 26 2010 at 4:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,457 posts
Although my FFXI "Character" was a dude, I've usually preferred playing as a female. Their animations are usually more graceful and in games where the armor is scaled to fit it usually looks better because the females always have the perfect size for nice resolution while still being able to see the detail (with the exception of tarus,gnomes, etc. they're both really small). I was dead set on making a mi'qote in FFXIV, then I considered Hyur Female because not many people are making them.. after re-playing through some older titles like FFIV though, I have this bug to make a male character. I want to feel more connected this time around. I felt more connected with the male characters in RPGs (Kain, Cecil, the brotherhood between Cloud and Zach).. While characters like Yuna, Rinoa, Terra, Aeris, etc. were interesting, I obviously didn't have much of a connection with their lovey dovey personalities. However, characters like Tifa, Rikku, or even Samus from metroid were just tough and badass. I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.

If you don't feel connected with your female counterpart, make a male. If it's purely aesthetic, make a female.

Quote:
To me it's more important that I can kick *** and not look like a complete ****** doing it (a la FFXI Elvaan Male Summoner).


I honestly stopped leveling summoner for this. They look ridiculous.

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 3:57pm by GuardianFaith
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#23 Jul 26 2010 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Dudes playing chick characters(especially catwomen) that don't make it easily known that they're a guy creep me out. I guess it's all good with the roleplaying, to each their own. But it makes me question their agenda...

Though if the opposite could be done I would probably do it. If there were female galka/roegadyn I would make a massive beastwoman and have fun with that. Give me a good laugh every time I log in to see my character...
#24 Jul 26 2010 at 5:07 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
I usually make female characters myself, much mroe fun to look at ;) kitty people are awsome :P had a mithra in 11, if i was standing around and waiting for people , have you ever just watched their tails? kinda like watching a lava lamp.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#25 Jul 26 2010 at 5:24 PM Rating: Excellent
**
409 posts
Actually that's true, I had a mithra fisher mule and every time I went fishing I'd be hypnotized by the swaying of her tail and start nodding off to sleep...

Incidentally my fishing skill never got past 16 xD

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 7:25pm by SickleSageKiroh
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#26 Jul 26 2010 at 6:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
787 posts
Quote:
Dudes playing chick characters(especially catwomen) that don't make it easily known that they're a guy creep me out


I think it's creepy that dudes would want to stare at a guys rear for hundred of hours per year.
#27 Jul 26 2010 at 6:23 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
I'm pretty sure you can play without staring at your own character's rear all the time. Plenty of people, enemies, and a nice environment to be looking at. I'm looking past or through my character the bulk of the time...so I don't get the argument there. Why are you always staring at your character's ****?
#28 Jul 26 2010 at 6:33 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can play without staring at your own character's rear all the time. Plenty of people, enemies, and a nice environment to be looking at. I'm looking past or through my character the bulk of the time...so I don't get the argument there. Why are you always staring at your character's ****?

Its the tail im tellign you!!!! lol. and lookin at the but cuz well.. we're guys :P course I know some women who played and made there male characters wear subgliar (or however its spelled) just to look at there characters butts :P
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#29 Jul 26 2010 at 6:34 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
I'm more than likely going to take my XI name into XIV, except with a Mi'qote this inception.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#30 Jul 26 2010 at 6:36 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,684 posts
rubina wrote:
Quote:
Dudes playing chick characters(especially catwomen) that don't make it easily known that they're a guy creep me out


I think it's creepy that dudes would want to stare at a guys rear for hundred of hours per year.
I think it's creepy that people sexualize polygons.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#31 Jul 26 2010 at 6:39 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,120 posts
Puppy1 wrote:
Its the tail im tellign you!!!! lol. and lookin at the but cuz well.. we're guys :P course I know some women who played and made there male characters wear subgliar (or however its spelled) just to look at there characters butts :P


True I'll give ya that, the tail is hypnotizing. Even then i wouldn't be looking for it, but when there's no movement on screen like standing at the AH you kind of notice that tail swinging. I didn't realize so many people out there worried about their character's rear though, interesting. Anyway, in that original post I wasn't saying that all males who play as mithra are creepy. I probably wouldn't do it, but it's just certain ones that come off as creepy.

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 8:41pm by TwistedOwl

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 8:43pm by TwistedOwl
#32 Jul 26 2010 at 6:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
I think it's creepy that people sexualize polygons.


Why? It's essentially no different from deriving sexual pleasure through art, which mankind has done for generations. :v
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#33 Jul 26 2010 at 6:45 PM Rating: Decent
*
196 posts
um lets stop lieing to ourselves. males make female characters for the following reasons

1. arousal
2. to roleplay as females and sucker in males to give them free stuff
3. gender confusion

now:

1. posters, magazines, internet. dont fall into a female character for this weak excuse so you can be considered 2 or 3
2. theres a lot wrong with this one
3. nothing wrong with that in and of itself
#34 Jul 26 2010 at 7:07 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
Lady Bardalicious wrote:
rubina wrote:
Quote:
Dudes playing chick characters(especially catwomen) that don't make it easily known that they're a guy creep me out


I think it's creepy that dudes would want to stare at a guys rear for hundred of hours per year.
I think it's creepy that people sexualize polygons.



Couldn't agree more. If you think men get off by watching their video game character's ***, then I think you should re-connect with reality. If I want something that arouses me I have the internet, thank you very much.
____________________________


#35 Jul 26 2010 at 7:13 PM Rating: Default
****
5,684 posts
w34v3r wrote:
Quote:
I think it's creepy that people sexualize polygons.


Why? It's essentially no different from deriving sexual pleasure through art, which mankind has done for generations. :v

It sounds to me that you are comparing video game avatars to erotic art.

Thanks for proving my point :D
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#36 Jul 26 2010 at 7:16 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I prefer female characters to male characters simply because I find the facial features and figure to be more visually appealing. I also prefer longer hair and off-color hair (greens, blues, purples instead of browns, blacks, blondes). Male model art usually ends up where the options are "muscley guy", "bald guy", "ethnic guy", and "old guy". Hair color is typically limited to basic "normal" colors and hair length is usually no more than shoulder length. "FFXI guy" and his younger brother "FFXIV guy" (the default hume/hyur) are an exception to this, but the brown hair still looks boring to me. Female characters, conversely, tend to lean more toward an average build; not too petite, but not muscley, they also don't tend to have ethnic/tribal looks so much, and you don't really see older female characters as much unless your character is extremely customizable (Oblivion comes to mind). Hair lengths are increased to mid-back (my preferred hair length, as it is my own personal hair length) or ***-length (bit too long for me, but meh). Color options usually include one or two off-colors like green or blue, although I always prefer having full control rather than just picking one.

For reference, my character in XI was Elvaan F 6A (Male 2A was the only one I liked) and my mules were Taru F 5A (Male 4B was too smooth, 5B was too pointy, and 6B was too shaggy and none were long enough) and Mithra 3A, which will probably be approximately the look I'm going for in XIV.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#37 Jul 26 2010 at 7:17 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Alkerr wrote:
Lady Bardalicious wrote:
rubina wrote:
Quote:
Dudes playing chick characters(especially catwomen) that don't make it easily known that they're a guy creep me out


I think it's creepy that dudes would want to stare at a guys rear for hundred of hours per year.
I think it's creepy that people sexualize polygons.



Couldn't agree more. If you think men get off by watching their video game character's ***, then I think you should re-connect with reality. If I want something that arouses me I have the internet, thank you very much.


But it's a video game -on- the internet!

Oh, snap!
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#38 Jul 26 2010 at 7:30 PM Rating: Decent
**
370 posts
The female character models in FXIV are beautiful. The males are just dull. It only makes sense to want to play as a female. There is nothing wrong with it. The only reason I don't is because I want to keep my name from FFXI and I don't want to play as a female with a male name.
____________________________
Thaumaturge/Archer/Marauder
http://xivpads.viion.co.uk/?id=1847776
Moogle Inc linkshell
http://www.moogleinc.com
Stand in front of me fool...I am a Thaumaturge
#39 Jul 26 2010 at 7:32 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
175 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Alkerr wrote:
Lady Bardalicious wrote:
rubina wrote:
Quote:
Dudes playing chick characters(especially catwomen) that don't make it easily known that they're a guy creep me out


I think it's creepy that dudes would want to stare at a guys rear for hundred of hours per year.
I think it's creepy that people sexualize polygons.



Couldn't agree more. If you think men get off by watching their video game character's ***, then I think you should re-connect with reality. If I want something that arouses me I have the internet, thank you very much.


But it's a video game -on- the internet!

Oh, snap!


Video games should not be compared to ****. If you want sexual stimulation please use the appropriate sites on the internet. :)

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 9:40pm by Alkerr
____________________________


#40 Jul 26 2010 at 7:37 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
Obiar wrote:
The female character models in FXIV are beautiful. The males are just dull. It only makes sense to want to play as a female. There is nothing wrong with it. The only reason I don't is because I want to keep my name from FFXI and I don't want to play as a female with a male name.


I understand that some men will find a female character more visually appealing for whatever reason. What bothers me is that many of them use the argument that they would rather stare at a girls *** while playing for X amount of hours. That pretty much falls along the lines of telling someone they are "***" for having a male over a female, and to me that's pretty juvenile. I will reiterate that this is a video game and the character you chose to play as does not reflect your sexual orientation.
____________________________


#41 Jul 26 2010 at 7:42 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Lady Bardalicious wrote:
rubina wrote:
Quote:
Dudes playing chick characters(especially catwomen) that don't make it easily known that they're a guy creep me out


I think it's creepy that dudes would want to stare at a guys rear for hundred of hours per year.
I think it's creepy that people sexualize polygons.


My brain finds the shape of a well formed *** to be pleasing. I didn't sexualize it, nature did. Some how appreciating a healthy flank helped us to survive as a species. Who am I to question the evolutionary destiny of humanity? It's not like I'm sitting here fapping, I just like the shape of the female body, the same way that I find a beautifully rendered sunset to be pleasant, or the sound of a (virtual) thunderstorm. Aesthetically pleasing is aesthetically pleasing. The fact that a virtual posterior can fool the primitive portions of my brain well enough to put a smile on my face is a wonderful thing to experience.

What would be creepy is if some one said they like the **scent** of the virtual lady.

P.S.-- I played a male character in FFXI, because aside from those early subligar levels, there wasn't much occasion to even notice such details. Those loose fitting cloth pants don't really accentuate the female form.

P.P.S-- Even though I didn't play a female avatar, the **** Mithra tails ARE hypnotic. Kudos to the animator who worked on that.



Edited, Jul 26th 2010 9:50pm by KarlHungis
#42 Jul 26 2010 at 7:51 PM Rating: Good
**
409 posts
Yeah actually no though, nature does not determine what people define as attractive or beautiful. This is something determined almost entirely on your upbringing. If you go to pretty much any other country in the world, the reason a man finds someone attractive will be different depending on the country. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder in this case. The fact that you like looking at a woman's *** has less to do with nature and speaks more to where and how you were raised.
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#43 Jul 26 2010 at 7:59 PM Rating: Good
**
465 posts
Alkerr wrote:
I understand that some men will find a female character more visually appealing for whatever reason. What bothers me is that many of them use the argument that they would rather stare at a girls *** while playing for X amount of hours. That pretty much falls along the lines of telling someone they are "***" for having a male over a female, and to me that's pretty juvenile. I will reiterate that this is a video game and the character you chose to play as does not reflect your sexual orientation.

What kind of logic is that? Just because some (me included) would rather stare at a female model than a male one doesn't mean that you can juxtapose that personal preference with what you just did. I haven't poured over every sentence in this thread, but I haven't seen anyone say that they think guys who play as guys are *** for it.

I'm likely to play as a Miqo'te; I was a Hume F in XI. I would like to play as a male character, but that would either mean a) they allow me to have the character even remotely resemble me, or b) have me think the guy char looks cool, which (for me) they haven't been able to achieve.
____________________________
Lodestone
#44 Jul 26 2010 at 8:04 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
175 posts
Coyohma wrote:
Alkerr wrote:
I understand that some men will find a female character more visually appealing for whatever reason. What bothers me is that many of them use the argument that they would rather stare at a girls *** while playing for X amount of hours. That pretty much falls along the lines of telling someone they are "***" for having a male over a female, and to me that's pretty juvenile. I will reiterate that this is a video game and the character you chose to play as does not reflect your sexual orientation.

What kind of logic is that? Just because some (me included) would rather stare at a female model than a male one doesn't mean that you can juxtapose that personal preference with what you just did. I haven't poured over every sentence in this thread, but I haven't seen anyone say that they think guys who play as guys are *** for it.

I'm likely to play as a Miqo'te; I was a Hume F in XI. I would like to play as a male character, but that would either mean a) they allow me to have the character even remotely resemble me, or b) have me think the guy char looks cool, which (for me) they haven't been able to achieve.


Perhaps you should take a peek at rubina's post then before you ask me why I made this statement.
____________________________


#45 Jul 26 2010 at 8:07 PM Rating: Decent
**
465 posts
Alkerr wrote:
Perhaps you should take a peek at rubina's post then before you ask me why I made this statement.

Would've been helpful to quote that, then, instead of what you did.

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 10:07pm by Coyohma
____________________________
Lodestone
#46 Jul 26 2010 at 8:08 PM Rating: Default
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Lady Bardalicious wrote:
rubina wrote:
Quote:
Dudes playing chick characters(especially catwomen) that don't make it easily known that they're a guy creep me out


I think it's creepy that dudes would want to stare at a guys rear for hundred of hours per year.
I think it's creepy that people sexualize polygons.


This Smiley: nod
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#47 Jul 26 2010 at 8:12 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
It sounds to me that you are comparing video game avatars to erotic art.

Thanks for proving my point :D


/sigh One might very well look at attractively designed character models e.g. video game avatars -- be they clothed, half-nude or fully nude -- as a form of erotic art, if you absolutely have to categorize it. So, sure, why not? Either way, you're still achieving arousal through a picture. :S And a piece of art doesn't necessarily have to be considered erotic for one to find sexual pleasure in it; you're being too simple-minded. Unleash your inner creepy self!

...Why am I even explaining this? I don't even use a female avatar. >_> Oh well. +1.
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#48 Jul 26 2010 at 8:13 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
175 posts
Coyohma wrote:
Alkerr wrote:
Perhaps you should take a peek at rubina's post then before you ask me why I made this statement.

Would've been helpful to quote that, then, instead of what you did.

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 10:07pm by Coyohma


Perhaps, but I also expect anyone who is going to reply to a thread to at least read the previous statements, as quoting over and over would lead to some ridiculously lengthy posts. In short, you admitted you hadn't read up, so next time take a couple of minutes to read before you post :)

____________________________


#49 Jul 26 2010 at 8:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
770 posts
Lady Bardalicious wrote:
rubina wrote:
Quote:
Dudes playing chick characters(especially catwomen) that don't make it easily known that they're a guy creep me out


I think it's creepy that dudes would want to stare at a guys rear for hundred of hours per year.
I think it's creepy that people sexualize polygons.


hehe not for or agaisnt this comment, just mentioning something. If you knew 1/2 the fetishes out there.. this dosnt seem creepy :P
If you can think of it.. theres a fetish for it.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#50 Jul 26 2010 at 8:14 PM Rating: Default
****
5,684 posts
w34v3r wrote:
Quote:
It sounds to me that you are comparing video game avatars to erotic art.

Thanks for proving my point :D


/sigh One might very well look at attractively designed character models e.g. video game avatars -- be they clothed, half-nude or fully nude -- as a form of erotic art, if you absolutely have to categorize it. So, sure, why not? Either way, you're still achieving arousal through a picture. :S And a piece of art doesn't necessarily have to be considered erotic for one to find sexual pleasure in it; you're being too simple-minded. Unleash your inner creepy self!
So you agree that it is creepy. That was my original point.

Thanks for playing.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#51 Jul 26 2010 at 8:20 PM Rating: Decent
**
647 posts
I was a male character in FFXI. I was really looking forward to the male miqo-te. Doubt it's going to happen. Soooo I'm just going to be a miqo-te and pretend that it is male with nice chest that I would like to /poke all night that enjoys wearing **** huggers as a protest.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)