Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Look like SE has learn NOTHING from xi.Follow

#1 Jul 26 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Default
**
347 posts
Well, I was looking through the payment option for FFXIV and come across this:

http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=902&la=1&kid=55929&ret=faqtop&c=3&sc=0

It said credit card is the only accept method. Have they lost their mind? Which companies these days only accept credit card with 3D verify or secured code? Even Aion accept alternative payment plan...

Have they forgotten that not every credit/debit card support the 3D system?
____________________________
Flamealchemist
Bard 75, Thf 75 Smn 75 Blm 75, Whm 60, War 30, Nin 40 Drk 6, Rdm 6.
Race: Hume
Nation: Bastok
Rank: 10
Server: Gilgamesh
Craft: Cooking 100, Alemchy 60 Clothcraft 54, Goldsmith 25, Blacksmith 17, Fishing 22, Bonecraft 6.
#2 Jul 26 2010 at 2:13 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Most people have a credit card or a debit/bank card that works like credit.

I have a small bank, a local bank named "Baltimore County Savings Bank" with no branches whatsoever outside of Baltimore County. They have less than 20 branches total, anywhere, and about a dozen ATMs.

And -they- support VBV.

So if your bank doesn't support SecureCode/VerifiedByVisa, a feature designed to give you, the cardholder, -more- protection against card theft, then I would have to say you need a new bank.

Unless you're in Luxembourg or something, I fail to see the problem.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#3 Jul 26 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Excellent
**
409 posts
To be honest, the page says nothing about verified by visa, simply that the only accepted payment method is credit cards.
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#4 Jul 26 2010 at 2:20 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,448 posts
SE does allow alternatives in Japan (their proprietary Crysta currency for instance). It might just be a matter of implementing something similar in non-Japan regions.

Or it might not.

Point is, to claim the sky is falling before the game even launches, is a bit fatalistic, and entirely unhelpful
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#5 Jul 26 2010 at 2:34 PM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
Everyone I know has a credit/VISA card (except for children). I don't see the problem.

Is it common for people in the US & A not to have cards? Do you expect to be able to pay with pennys tru the floppy-drive?

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 10:36pm by insanekangaroo
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#6 Jul 26 2010 at 2:53 PM Rating: Decent
**
347 posts
Well, all i am saying is: how come every other mmo offer alternative payment?
____________________________
Flamealchemist
Bard 75, Thf 75 Smn 75 Blm 75, Whm 60, War 30, Nin 40 Drk 6, Rdm 6.
Race: Hume
Nation: Bastok
Rank: 10
Server: Gilgamesh
Craft: Cooking 100, Alemchy 60 Clothcraft 54, Goldsmith 25, Blacksmith 17, Fishing 22, Bonecraft 6.
#7 Jul 26 2010 at 3:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
You can walk into any local CVS/Rite-Aid/Etc. and buy pre-paid Mastercard/Visa card(s) these days, there really isn't any excuse to not have an applicable payment method. If the argument is that SE is foolish for not accepting alternative payment methods such as A) SE-derived Prepaid Game Cards B) Paypal, then I can see the argument, but still don't agree with it. While I was surpised to see the steps they took in FFXI with VBV/SecureCode, I was also happy. As mentioned above, even my small local bank uses SecureCode with their MC Debit Cards.

More Security = Better. I don't understand necessarily why people detest this security measure. I understand the frustration if your bank "doesn't" use the services...but maybe you should stop by your local branch and let them know that there are a large amount of service providers these days "requiring" it and they may change their tune, even thank you for suggesting it.
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#8 Jul 26 2010 at 3:03 PM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
insanekangaroo wrote:
Everyone I know has a credit/VISA card (except for children). I don't see the problem.

Is it common for people in the US & A not to have cards? Do you expect to be able to pay with pennys tru the floppy-drive?

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 10:36pm by insanekangaroo


You can buy pre-paid credit cards to teach kids spending responsibly with one. I don't know if you could pay for an MMO with one, but I know a few parents who dole out allowences via them and the kids go to the mall now and then and buy whatever.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#9 Jul 26 2010 at 3:05 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
Theres also "secure" credit cards, its kinda liek a prepaid credit card, you give them .. lets say 500$ and you have a 500$ limit. Usefull if your credit score scuks, you pay your monthly credit card bill, and if you cancell the card you get the remainder of your 500 back, as long as everything is payed off.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#10 Jul 26 2010 at 3:12 PM Rating: Default
****
5,684 posts
xellosalpha wrote:
Well, all i am saying is: how come every other mmo offer alternative payment?
I'm curious as to what these other payment methods are.

____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#11 Jul 26 2010 at 3:15 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,448 posts
Lady Bardalicious wrote:
xellosalpha wrote:
Well, all i am saying is: how come every other mmo offer alternative payment?
I'm curious as to what these other payment methods are.



Usually this refers to being able to purchase pre-paid game cards that equal 1-2 months of a subscription for any given game. Sometimes it refers to the ability to purchase a company's proprietary currency (as is usually the case with F2P microtransaction-fests)

Essentially, it opens up "cash" as another option to pay for your subscription
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#12 Jul 26 2010 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
554 posts
Callinon wrote:
Lady Bardalicious wrote:
xellosalpha wrote:
Well, all i am saying is: how come every other mmo offer alternative payment?
I'm curious as to what these other payment methods are.



Usually this refers to being able to purchase pre-paid game cards that equal 1-2 months of a subscription for any given game. Sometimes it refers to the ability to purchase a company's proprietary currency (as is usually the case with F2P microtransaction-fests)

Essentially, it opens up "cash" as another option to pay for your subscription


don't forget some MMO's can also charge your home phone number as a payment option.
#13 Jul 26 2010 at 3:33 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
If you're too young to have a credit/debit card and your parents aren't willing to foot the bill on your behalf, I'm glad you aren't playing.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#14 Jul 26 2010 at 3:38 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
393 posts
And there I was thinking this thread was going to be about the gameplay, character development, or something serious...But payment options? lol

Admittedly, if it turns out that NA version will not support Japanese IME, and I have to look into importing the JP version, then I would be concerned about the credit-card-only thing. But I have decided not to panic prematurely until there is solid proof. In the mean time, I have other things to worry about, such as upgrading.../mumble
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

#15 Jul 26 2010 at 3:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,587 posts
I don't mind the CC thing, but for Pete's sake please drop the REQUIREMENT that it has to have Verified by Visa or MC SecureCard. If people want to add that layer of security, fine, but requiring it is ridiculous. Both of those systems are sh*t in my opinion. I have three cards (1 Debit, 2 credit) all from banks who are "supposed" to have this feature and I only ever got one of them to actually work. I've tried calling the banks and most of their people haven't even heard of the service, and those who do know what it is have limited knowledge or just direct you to Visa/Mastercard to fix the problem. Of course Visa/Mastercard just tell you to contact the institution that issued you the card. People shouldn't have to change banks or open up an additional credit card in order to play a stinking video game.

Edited, Jul 26th 2010 4:42pm by Harri
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#16 Jul 26 2010 at 3:42 PM Rating: Default
***
1,159 posts
I fail to see the problem. Just get a credit or debit card.
#17 Jul 26 2010 at 3:52 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
83 posts
Precisely... simply get a credit or debit card and it is a wrap.
____________________________
This is my future FFXIV Character and this is his theme...at least that's the tentative plan. Yep. (Concept Art of Rasler by the legendary Akihiko Yoshida) I asked for the Qiqirn to be added in FFXIV since October 2009 and we now have them! Yessss!



#18 Jul 26 2010 at 3:58 PM Rating: Good
***
3,448 posts
LeoTarvion wrote:
Precisely... simply get a credit or debit card and it is a wrap.

Yogtheterrible wrote:
I fail to see the problem. Just get a credit or debit card.

You two might want to read the post right above you... here, allow me:
Harri wrote:
I don't mind the CC thing, but for Pete's sake please drop the REQUIREMENT that it has to have Verified by Visa or MC SecureCard. If people want to add that layer of security, fine, but requiring it is ridiculous. Both of those systems are sh*t in my opinion. I have three cards (1 Debit, 2 credit) all from banks who are "supposed" to have this feature and I only ever got one of them to actually work. I've tried calling the banks and most of their people haven't even heard of the service, and those who do know what it is have limited knowledge or just direct you to Visa/Mastercard to fix the problem. Of course Visa/Mastercard just tell you to contact the institution that issued you the card. People shouldn't have to change banks or open up an additional credit card in order to play a stinking video game.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#19 Jul 26 2010 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,246 posts
Yup. They've learned NOTHING because the payment system is the same.

That's right, they have absolutely no clue about battle systems, partying or missions all because they kept the same payment.
____________________________
Meowth!
#20 Jul 26 2010 at 4:37 PM Rating: Excellent
**
347 posts
I have a card but it doesn't support secure code. When I had to renew my card last year I had to find the 360 copy to bypass the secure code thing. Let say for the sake of argument, when XI require card with secure code or VBV, what are the chances that XIV won't? Just tell me a honest answer before anymore insult fly around.
____________________________
Flamealchemist
Bard 75, Thf 75 Smn 75 Blm 75, Whm 60, War 30, Nin 40 Drk 6, Rdm 6.
Race: Hume
Nation: Bastok
Rank: 10
Server: Gilgamesh
Craft: Cooking 100, Alemchy 60 Clothcraft 54, Goldsmith 25, Blacksmith 17, Fishing 22, Bonecraft 6.
#21 Jul 26 2010 at 4:40 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
bsphil wrote:
If you're too young to have a credit/debit card and your parents aren't willing to foot the bill on your behalf, I'm glad you aren't playing.


Yea, obviously, because there could be no other possible explanation for not wanting to give an MMO company your credit card #:

http://brokentoys.org/2010/04/09/mythic-decides-billing-people-is-fun-cant-stop-doing-it/

Of course it's not as if S-E has ever gotten weird about billing or displayed inept Customer Service practices of their own.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=19095;emaPeICH
http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/general-ffxi-discussion/68425-square-enix-subscription-double-dipping.html
http://kotaku.com/5302333/square-enix-sued-for-5-million

Obviously, any one who wants to pay via another method is an immature teenager, and not a cranky old fossil mature adult like bsphil.
#22 Jul 26 2010 at 5:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
577 posts
Quote:
Well, I was looking through the payment option for FFXIV and come across this:

http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=902&la=1&kid=55929&ret=faqtop&c=3&sc=0

It said credit card is the only accept method. Have they lost their mind? Which companies these days only accept credit card with 3D verify or secured code? Even Aion accept alternative payment plan...

Have they forgotten that not every credit/debit card support the 3D system?


Ok, maybe I'm missing something... the only thing that article says is "Credit card is currently the only planned payment method that will be available." Where is everybody getting this verification thing?
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#23 Jul 26 2010 at 5:46 PM Rating: Good
*
239 posts
Even better than secured CC which require a bigger start-up investment, there's Greendot debit cards, you pay $5 when you get them, and can load them with as little as $20. Then you "register" them online, forking over your name, address social, ect.

Once registered it works EXACTLY like a real credit card, has a secure code, and can be reloaded anytime at most gas stations and CVS's. sometimes when paying private artists for commissions or shopping online I run my money through one of these. if the number is ever stolen they can only get the little bit I keep on the card before I replace it.

You can always maintain a monthly subscription with one of these, thus allowing you to pay "cash." The catch is that you must be 18 years old to have one of these, so It's not a solution for the kiddies, but is one for people wanting to install an airlock on their money.
#24 Jul 26 2010 at 6:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
516 posts
The CC only thing doesn't bother me so much as the VBV thing. I know I had to get a friend to set up my account when my card expired. I certainly hope I don't run into this problem with XIV, as I don't want to spend hours waiting to talk to SE customer service.

The other problem we might end up with is when we're billed. Imagine starting on the 22nd or 30th and being charged for September.
#25 Jul 26 2010 at 6:10 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
787 posts
Next thing you know, people are going to start whining that MMORPGs won't accept cash on the barrelhead. It's not that difficult to get a credit card, a bank card or a gift credit card.
#26 Jul 26 2010 at 6:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
No, it really is a **** system. When they implemented it in XI and I had to get the VBV, I called my bank (Bank of America at the time) and they didn't even know what the **** it was, so they transferred me to corporate, that person didn't know what the **** it was, and they asked their supervisor and THEY didn't know what the **** it was. When one of America's biggest banks has to dig around to find the person who knows what to do like it's a rare and obscure special order, it's a pretty stupid requirement.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#27 Jul 26 2010 at 6:20 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Klaire wrote:
The CC only thing doesn't bother me so much as the VBV thing. I know I had to get a friend to set up my account when my card expired. I certainly hope I don't run into this problem with XIV, as I don't want to spend hours waiting to talk to SE customer service.

The other problem we might end up with is when we're billed. Imagine starting on the 22nd or 30th and being charged for September.


They have stated that billing WILL be done in 30-day increments, NOT on the first of every month for a full month. You also won't have to deal with POL.

So yes, they HAVE learned something from XI.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#28 Jul 26 2010 at 6:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
76 posts
Ryneguy wrote:
More Security = Better. I don't understand necessarily why people detest this security measure. I understand the frustration if your bank "doesn't" use the services...but maybe you should stop by your local branch and let them know that there are a large amount of service providers these days "requiring" it and they may change their tune, even thank you for suggesting it.


I have cards with this so it don't matter to me, but I would like to point out that More Security = Better is a bit far fetched when it comes to this. I mean seriously what is SE protecting, its a $15 a month charge lol.
#29 Jul 26 2010 at 9:20 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
398 posts
Sorry but when ever I see a thread for any game complaining about credit cards... it all just auto translates in my head into blah blah blah whineity whine whine.

It gets old, and honestly the need for a card was something I liked about XI, at least there were less little kids running around acting stupid and breaking the ToS by thier very logging onto the server. I know I'm kind of abrasive about this topic but I feel farely strongly about it, MMOs are not an apropriate social group for childeren, there are alot of preditors online as it is without some of the darker freaks who do play these games.
After all the F.B.I. does have a dedicated group of agents who work in MMOs for a reason.
#30 Jul 26 2010 at 9:25 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
zurinadrg wrote:
Sorry but when ever I see a thread for any game complaining about credit cards... it all just auto translates in my head into blah blah blah whineity whine whine.

It gets old, and honestly the need for a card was something I liked about XI, at least there were less little kids running around acting stupid and breaking the ToS by thier very logging onto the server. I know I'm kind of abrasive about this topic but I feel farely strongly about it, MMOs are not an apropriate social group for childeren, there are alot of preditors online as it is without some of the darker freaks who do play these games.
After all the F.B.I. does have a dedicated group of agents who work in MMOs for a reason.


The internet: Where men are men, women are men, and little children are the FBI.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#31 Jul 26 2010 at 9:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
Unless you're playing WoW, then the childeren are your raid group and the people you hang out with in pornshire...
#32 Jul 26 2010 at 11:01 PM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
I think a lot of people are dismissing this POTENTIALLY out of hand.

Given that FFXI now requires secure card or Verified by Visa CAN cause some very real payment issues:

1) can you get secure card or verified by visa for a pre-paid card? I have no idea personally, but logic would dictate probably not. These systems are set up to protect your ongoing accounts, not some $50 pre-paid card.

2) Banks may use Verified by Visa. If this bank issued you a Mastercard, you're screwed. This one I experienced personally. I briefly attempted to go back to FFXI in anticipation of XIV. My bank uses Verified by Visa, and they sent me a Mastercard. For the uninitiated, this meant my lowest interest rate most often used card was ineligible COMPLETELY. 4 other cards in my household were simply not eligible for either service, and the one that FINALLY worked has an astronomical interest rate. [You may have a credit card, but I've got 2 kids and a mortgage. Yes, I can pay it, but there's no reason to throw double the money away b/c of some stupid verified by Card company stipulation. ESPECIALLY when my perfectly good often used card gets me cash back/bonus perks/etc. Waste not want not, as they say.]

Now, it may well be that SE decides not to require the Verified/secure card route on FFXIV launch, but as they already have the system in place with FFXI I'm not holding my breath. It WOULD be very helpful [both for SE and myself] if I was able to give to them the money they desire in a manner of my choosing and be treated like a customer, not a criminal attempting to purchase a firearm.



Edited, Jul 27th 2010 1:03am by seneleron

Edited, Jul 27th 2010 1:04am by seneleron
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#33 Jul 27 2010 at 1:35 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
For people who don't completely understand where this VerifiedByVisa/SecureCode paranoia stuff is coming from, let me try and explain.

Until 2008 (I think?) Final Fantasy XI had an open policy regarding credit cards. You could pretty much sign up with any credit card that is Visa or MasterCard. But then they released copies of FFXI that can be downloaded for a 15 day trial. RMT groups took advantage of this and signed up in huge droves. So Square-Enix made (in my opinion) a stupid response to cut down on RMT signing up by making credit cards mandatory to have VerifiedByVisa security (for Visa) and MasterCard SecureCode (for MasterCard). Now, up until then I haven't even heard of either service, and neither did my bank. So I applied for the service online by typing in my Visa card and it said my card was inelgible for the service. So I contacted the bank and they thought it was some kind of service I made up.

In any case, I eventually got around to XI tech support which allowed me to renew my XI subscription using my now-incompetent credit card, but they informed me that if I wasn't a long time existing customer, I wouldn't have had that priviledge.

Now if they carry these "new" FFXI billing policies over to XIV, I'll be sorely disappointed, but needless to say, I'm already in the process of getting myself a debit card that is VBV, even though I really do not want to.

/end rant

Edited, Jul 27th 2010 12:36am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#34 Jul 27 2010 at 2:30 AM Rating: Good
xellosalpha wrote:
I have a card but it doesn't support secure code. When I had to renew my card last year I had to find the 360 copy to bypass the secure code thing. Let say for the sake of argument, when XI require card with secure code or VBV, what are the chances that XIV won't? Just tell me a honest answer before anymore insult fly around.



SE will probably do the same thing with the Verified by Visa.

The thing that most people seem to forget is that you can still use the service even without VBV. You just need to call Square and have them set up your payment method themselves.

I ran into the same problem with my debit card. For some unbefreakinglievable reason, Bank of America in WA state doesn't support this. I had to call POL or SE or whoever, but they took care of it.

Edited, Jul 27th 2010 1:35am by Osarion
#35 Jul 27 2010 at 2:34 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
53 posts
Isn't this argument premature?

People actually worry not able to PAY a company?

It's why they make the game in the first place! To make loads of money.

If you can't pay by VISA you think they won't fix it? It will be the top of priority list.

Also it says the current "planned" option is creditcard, meaning they are open to other options in the future.

Not to mention the options that others suggested, buying VISA giftcards in supermarket and 7-eleven. Those cards have secure code on the back.

If you have no cash and no creditcard or debit card in the US, maybe you are hacker trying to use someone else's card?
#36 Jul 27 2010 at 2:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
So if your bank doesn't support SecureCode/VerifiedByVisa, a feature designed to give you, the cardholder, -more- protection against card theft, then I would have to say you need a new bank.


VBV and Securecode is designed to protect the vendor the bank and the credit card company, not you.



Edited, Jul 27th 2010 5:51am by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#37 Jul 27 2010 at 6:01 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
122 posts
So, is it only credit cards? Would a Visa debit card not be okay?
#38 Jul 27 2010 at 6:19 AM Rating: Good
**
621 posts
parabolaa wrote:
So, is it only credit cards? Would a Visa debit card not be okay?


Visa debit will be fine. I only have this and it works for everything, including FFXI subscription.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#39 Jul 27 2010 at 6:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
parabolaa wrote:
So, is it only credit cards? Would a Visa debit card not be okay?


Bolded the important part. If your debit card has a Visa, Mastercard, or whatever label, you should be good to go. That is what I use and I've never had an issue with any game.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#40 Jul 27 2010 at 6:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
122 posts
cool, just wanted to make sure.
#41windexy, Posted: Jul 27 2010 at 7:40 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) So you have either a really ****** bank, a bank that is too large to fail, or some combination of the two?
#42 Jul 27 2010 at 7:51 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Kachi wrote:
No, it really is a sh*t system. When they implemented it in XI and I had to get the VBV, I called my bank (Bank of America at the time) and they didn't even know what the **** it was, so they transferred me to corporate, that person didn't know what the **** it was, and they asked their supervisor and THEY didn't know what the **** it was. When one of America's biggest banks has to dig around to find the person who knows what to do like it's a rare and obscure special order, it's a pretty stupid requirement.


I somewhat agree, but at the same time my own bank and all other banks (At least most) in Sweden had a notice go out to all customers saying soon we would need to get VBV if we wanted to do stuff online with our CC. You could do it in many ways and took 2mins. I just logged on to my bankaccount via internet and basically just chose a password and done.

I don't know how it is everywhere else(but reading several other peoples posts here it seems like VBV is pretty widespread and well known all over the world), but in this case maybe your large bank just weren't doing a good job. Big bank doesn't always necessarily mean best bank(For the record, I'm not saying it isn't the best).

I think it was a good decision to have VBV. However, pre-paid cards is something I don't see a reason why they shouldn't have. There are a lot of people who prefer that type of payment system and some even need it to be able to play(mostly children I suppose). Why take that option away?
#43 Jul 27 2010 at 8:58 AM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
The bottom line on this is that the company [SE] is in business to make money. You don't make money by making it difficult for your target audience to purchase your product or the attached ongoing services.

About a month or two ago, the NY times was preparing for it's pay wall by requiring online readers to register, even though their news was [at the time] still free. The day it went up, NY times online readership dropped by over 60%.

These are the times we live in. Yes, the hardcore fans [and I am one of them] will jump through the necessary hoops to getting FFXIV up and running, but everything I've read in these developer interviews talks about drawing in new players and casual gamers. . . how many of them are going to be willing to deal with the hassle and aggravation of jumping through these hoops just to give someone ELSE their money??

And there is every possibility, if the above story of the 15 day trial is true, that SE has learned their lesson and found a different workaround to avoid exploitation. We may come to find out that this is a complete non-issue. It doesn't hurt, however, to mention [in case some suits in a board room missed it] that it's bad business to put hardship on your potential customers regarding purchasing your products and services. I don't care how easy you think or say it is, or how much you think my bank sucks. Neither do the people who see the multitude of requirements necessary just to pay someone else for a game they're not sure about in the first place. The odds are they'll walk [if the requirements are on the box] or return. If they can't return [product codes registered, etc] and then they happen to have major issues coordinating payment? You can bet they'll be very vocal in their dislike of FFXIV, SE, and everyone in between to ANYONE who will listen. I mean, let's face it here. People refused to take 10 seconds to register an account to read the NY times online. They're not going to waste an hour on the phone with SE trying to sort out payment here, or calling the bank that issued every CC they ever owned to find one they can get protective service on.

And for the record, the NY times paywall DID go live a few weeks or a month ago. Online readership instantly dropped 90%. I guess Rupert Murdock didn't listen to his customers either. ;)

Edited, Jul 27th 2010 10:59am by seneleron
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#44 Jul 27 2010 at 9:45 AM Rating: Excellent
*
109 posts
seneleron wrote:
The bottom line on this is that the company [SE] is in business to make money. You don't make money by making it difficult for your target audience to purchase your product or the attached ongoing services.

About a month or two ago, the NY times was preparing for it's pay wall by requiring online readers to register, even though their news was [at the time] still free. The day it went up, NY times online readership dropped by over 60%.

These are the times we live in. Yes, the hardcore fans [and I am one of them] will jump through the necessary hoops to getting FFXIV up and running, but everything I've read in these developer interviews talks about drawing in new players and casual gamers. . . how many of them are going to be willing to deal with the hassle and aggravation of jumping through these hoops just to give someone ELSE their money??

And there is every possibility, if the above story of the 15 day trial is true, that SE has learned their lesson and found a different workaround to avoid exploitation. We may come to find out that this is a complete non-issue. It doesn't hurt, however, to mention [in case some suits in a board room missed it] that it's bad business to put hardship on your potential customers regarding purchasing your products and services. I don't care how easy you think or say it is, or how much you think my bank sucks. Neither do the people who see the multitude of requirements necessary just to pay someone else for a game they're not sure about in the first place. The odds are they'll walk [if the requirements are on the box] or return. If they can't return [product codes registered, etc] and then they happen to have major issues coordinating payment? You can bet they'll be very vocal in their dislike of FFXIV, SE, and everyone in between to ANYONE who will listen. I mean, let's face it here. People refused to take 10 seconds to register an account to read the NY times online. They're not going to waste an hour on the phone with SE trying to sort out payment here, or calling the bank that issued every CC they ever owned to find one they can get protective service on.

And for the record, the NY times paywall DID go live a few weeks or a month ago. Online readership instantly dropped 90%. I guess Rupert Murdock didn't listen to his customers either. ;)

Edited, Jul 27th 2010 10:59am by seneleron


The free trial thing is true, that little "feature" ended up with SE enacting all sorts of new restrictions: credit cards, fishing, quests, (gardening?), they changed lots of stuff instead of the one thing causing the problem.
____________________________

Kashius wrote:
Things WoW did not invent:
...
- Fun
#45 Jul 27 2010 at 9:49 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Indeed some of us hardcore fans are nutty. Bummed out that the PS3 release was pushed back, some quickly devise plans to build a new computer just for this game. And will jump through whatever hoops SE sets up. That will definitely turn off your average gamer that they're supposed to be working hard to entice with XIV. It doesn't add up...

Though like some have mentioned, it doesn't exactly say "CC is the only payment will we ever accept and that is final" Maybe there's hope for some other options or if enough people complain before release they could not be like the NY Times and listen to the fans...
#46 Jul 27 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Something I find odd reading all these posts is that my tiny local bank has VBV but other people are saying that their larger national banks don't.

That's really weird. I wonder why that is.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#47 Jul 27 2010 at 11:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
76 posts
Funny thing is that a lot of the people that are putting down the "complainers" here, don't even know what there talking about. Several people have said "Stop crying all cards including pre-paid cards have the securecode on the back" ummm well guess what VBV is not a 3 digit code on the back of your card, it has nothing to do with that 3 digit code. VBV is a credit card that the bank has linked to Visa's database, so when you go to use that card a screen will pop up saying that you need to go through VBV. If you are allready registered then you stick in your username and password and your done, if your not registered then you have to register by providing your SS#, name, etc. Now if your card is not setup with your bank for VBV then your screwed because you can't register it with VBV since they don't have your ss# etc. to verify it.

Now as I said I have cards that have VBV but I still side with the people that don't have it or don't know if they have it and just want to complain, because I've had problems plenty of times in the past with trying to buy this that or the other, and I know how freaking annoying it is when you have to jump through hoops for hours, just to give someone your money!!
#48 Jul 27 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Diggtown wrote:
Funny thing is that a lot of the people that are putting down the "complainers" here, don't even know what there talking about. Several people have said "Stop crying all cards including pre-paid cards have the securecode on the back" ummm well guess what VBV is not a 3 digit code on the back of your card, it has nothing to do with that 3 digit code. VBV is a credit card that the bank has linked to Visa's database, so when you go to use that card a screen will pop up saying that you need to go through VBV. If you are allready registered then you stick in your username and password and your done, if your not registered then you have to register by providing your SS#, name, etc. Now if your card is not setup with your bank for VBV then your screwed because you can't register it with VBV since they don't have your ss# etc. to verify it.

Now as I said I have cards that have VBV but I still side with the people that don't have it or don't know if they have it and just want to complain, because I've had problems plenty of times in the past with trying to buy this that or the other, and I know how freaking annoying it is when you have to jump through hoops for hours, just to give someone your money!!


Yeah, that's called a CVC code. Who confused that with VBV/SC? I didn't see a post where someone said "The code is on the back" (referring to the CVC; thinking it was VBV/SC); where was that?

I mean CVC -kinda- sounds like VBV so I guess I could see the confusion maybe... but who said that?

Edited, Jul 27th 2010 4:09pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#49 Jul 27 2010 at 3:01 PM Rating: Good
***
2,535 posts
Lobivopis wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
So if your bank doesn't support SecureCode/VerifiedByVisa, a feature designed to give you, the cardholder, -more- protection against card theft, then I would have to say you need a new bank.


VBV and Securecode is designed to protect the vendor the bank and the credit card company, not you.


This - it's basically about protecting vendors from chargebacks, and generating more revenue for Visa and MasterCard in the form of fees collected from those vendors.

Not to mention that VBV/SC is poorly implemented and prone to (and indistinguishable from) phishing.
#50 Jul 27 2010 at 3:21 PM Rating: Decent
*
96 posts
No where on the OPs link does it say it requires a VBV or any other verification method. All it says is

"Credit card is currently the only planned payment method that will be available."

Stop worrying. As long as you have access to some form of Debit, credit or prepaid card you should be fine.
#51 Jul 27 2010 at 3:32 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
I used to agree whole-heartedly with the whole "don't give your credit card to online anything". But after caving in more than few times for things I wanted, I discoverd that your bank actually has the final say in what's charged to your account and what's not.

Just call you bank and say "I don't want that charged to my account anymore." Done.

You can actually stop payment on things you have already received in some cases, but that is credit card fraud and a felony. I'm not in any way suggesting that you should try to purchase things and then cancel payment. But for recurring fees (and online purchases), you are fully protected by both your bank and Visa.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 26 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (26)