Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

To Mac Users: New computer out boasting better graphics.Follow

#1 Jul 27 2010 at 7:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
56 posts
(EDIT: Sorry, couldn't find the original Mac thread.) To those interested in dual booting: Apple has just released an upgraded iMac. Here are the details on the graphics card:

http://www.apple.com/imac/performance.html

Quote:
Faster processors.
New processor architecture.
Now all iMac models come standard with Intel Core processors built on an new architecture. Based on Intel’s 32-nanometer process technology, these processors set new benchmarks for iMac performance.

Quad-core power.

The available quad-core Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processor in the 27-inch iMac puts four processing cores on one die, so data doesn’t have to travel far to get from core to core.

Turbo Boost.
Many iMac models now benefit from Turbo Boost technology built into the Intel Core series processors. If you’re using a processor-intensive application such as Aperture 3 or Final Cut Pro that benefits from extra performance, Turbo Boost dynamically increases the speed of available cores.

Faster graphics.

Discrete graphics for everyone.
Every iMac includes powerful discrete graphics, meaning the graphics processor is separate from the CPU. So whether you’re an amateur filmmaker or an avid gamer, iMac gives you faster, smoother, crisper graphics no matter which model you choose.

Start with advanced graphics.
The 21.5-inch iMac offers fast graphics performance with either the ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB of dedicated memory or the ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB of memory. Which one is right for you? The greater the memory, the faster the performance for graphics-intensive applications such as games and video editors.

Step up to even faster graphics.
When you step up to the 27-inch iMac, you can choose the ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB of memory. Or enjoy amazing performance with the ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory. You’ll notice the speed boost every time you run your favorite 3D applications and games.


Not sure if this fits the bill—I'm not in the Benchmarking loop—but I wanted to share in case anyone didn't want to make the leap away from OS X. (Although technically I guess you'd HAVE to one way or another :p)



Edited, Jul 27th 2010 9:54am by Nonagon
#2 Jul 27 2010 at 8:35 AM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
Quote:
Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory


Keep in mind, this is STILL a mobile card, not a full desktop 5750.



Edited, Jul 27th 2010 10:35am by seneleron
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#3 Jul 27 2010 at 8:47 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Don't get me wrong, macs are fantastic... but it's like they are exciting people for graphics cards and processors that have been available for almost a year on PC.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#4 Jul 27 2010 at 9:15 AM Rating: Good
**
516 posts
BartelX wrote:
Don't get me wrong, macs are fantastic... but it's like they are exciting people for graphics cards and processors that have been available for almost a year on PC.


Agreed. The way its worded is like its exclusive to Mac.
____________________________
"Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and pastes."
#5 Jul 27 2010 at 9:34 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
630 posts
Rotz wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Don't get me wrong, macs are fantastic... but it's like they are exciting people for graphics cards and processors that have been available for almost a year on PC.


Agreed. The way its worded is like its exclusive to Mac.


Hook, line, and sinker. zombie fanbase FTW!
#6 Jul 27 2010 at 10:49 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Quote:
For faster graphics performance, choose an iMac with the ATI Radeon HD 5670 or ATI Radeon HD 5750.


...indeed. I wouldn't suggest either of these for XIV. You might as well have a car company advertising "Our vehicle comes with a CD player!" Yeah, so does everyone else.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#7 Jul 27 2010 at 12:45 PM Rating: Default
*
88 posts
those gfx cards wont run ffxiv with any real speed especially being the mobile versions. i'm not a big fan of macs but the new tower mac pro comming in august will be a better bet as it comes with a 5770, they are also providing you an option to crossfire two 5770s. so if your into macs and want to play ffxiv in windows through bootcamp or whatever that will be your best bet.

edit looks like you can also put a 5870 in the new mac pro also. nice to see they are allowing more powerful gfx card options now, combined with the dual hex core xeons and the obvious osx benefits it will be a beast of a machine.







Edited, Jul 27th 2010 2:56pm by jamiehavok
#8 Jul 27 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Excellent
**
749 posts
Quote:
but the new tower mac pro comming in august


You mean the new mac pro that's going to START at $2000, + an arm and 3 legs for every upgrade you're considering performing?

By comparison, I'm using this opportunity to build a brand new PC. Sure, it'll only have 6 cores and a 5850, but it's only costing me about $1250 out the door. I get water cooling, massive overclocking potential, and top of the line components. If I had another $750 I could upgrade from a single 5850 to dual 5870s. All for the same price [or less] than a "bare bones" mac pro.

I love the mac concept, and Time Machine is absolutely godly, but they're just not designed or built with gaming in mind. I'm a firm believer in the concept of "right tool for the job" and macs are built to fulfil more basic [or in the case of the mac pro, very specialized] roles.

I do have to say though, right now I'm really hot for one of those new track pads. Absolutely LOVED it on my old Macbook, can't wait to try one out.
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#9 Jul 27 2010 at 1:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
seneleron wrote:
I'm a firm believer in the concept of "right tool for the job" and macs are built to fulfil more basic [or in the case of the mac pro, very specialized] roles.


Rate up. This summarizes my feelings on the whole Mac Vs PC ******** we've been inundated with (from both sides) for years. Pick what you like and use it, stop ******** on the other guy because he picked differently.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#10 Jul 27 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Default
*
88 posts
seneleron wrote:
Quote:
but the new tower mac pro comming in august


You mean the new mac pro that's going to START at $2000, + an arm and 3 legs for every upgrade you're considering performing?


all true i am aware of the drawbacks of a mac and yes i can get a dual xeon motherboard and 2 xeon chips and another 5870 to add to my current rig far cheaper than buying a mac pro with all that in and osx since i'm mostly a gamer is not worth the extra cost, but for people who use macs for other things, they like the osx/ilife/ they use a mac for business or whatever else then that's there best bet if they also want to play ffxiv.

yes they dont need a mac pro with dual xeons and two 5870s for ffxiv they can just get a single chip and 1 5870 and it would still be nice and fullfill all there needs in 1 machine



Edited, Jul 27th 2010 3:35pm by jamiehavok
#11 Jul 27 2010 at 2:03 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Speaking on behalf of someone who uses Mac OS, Windows, and Linux, I will say the following:

Windows - Best compatibility with games and software. Occasional virus/spyware or other issues for the uninitiated that don't know how to avoid them, but easy to get help.
Linux - Best for people who aren't newbie users, but need a system "just to go online" and that's it. Pain in the *** to fix if you run into trouble.
Mac OS - Best OS for new computer users. Easy to learn, hard to inadvertently **** up, easy to fix if you do. Way too friggin expensive considering it's the same parts everyone else is using with an OS that costs $129 and a brand name that causes the price to be double (or more) what it's worth.

See, the problem is that Apple are these great innovators; they come out with all these awesome ideas like the iMac and the iPod and the iPhone and the iPad and the MacBook Air; all these genius ideas that make you wonder "Why didn't anyone think of this before?" They bring out a product that "just works" and they charge an arm and a leg for it.

6 months to a year later, other companies start releasing similar products (Zune, HTC Evo, Slimline desktops) and start undercutting Apple, then start undercutting each other. Eventually they're selling more or less the same product (only without the Apple logo) for half the price and Apple leaves their price pretty much the same. They don't even TRY to compete.

I mean, Apple makes these great products and invests all this money into marketing, and it hasn't once occurred to them that the reason they make up 10% of the market is because they charge 200% of the price for the same ******* product? There's a reason more people own a Ford or a GM than a Benz or a Lexus. It's because most people don't wanna pay WAY more for product that is comparable or at best only marginally better.

I'll tell you right now that were it not for the fact that I WON my iMac G5 for FREE (I used to work for Apple, there was a raffle giving one away under the stipulation that you had to set it up at your desk and let everyone come around and play with it for a day before you took it home and it's yours to keep), I would never own an Apple. I mean, I love it; it's a great computer. But no way in **** was that thing worth $1,299.

Apple makes a great product that works great for two types of users (low end "I just want to use the internet and store my music/photos and make movies" and high end photographer/videographers) and charges them way way too much. I mean, I guess the photographers and videographers can afford to shell out that much coin for a system (in addition to Final Cut and/or Aperture), but half of their target userbase will not be willing to shell out $1200-1300 for a system when they could buy a windows box that does what they need for $500. If Apple would release iMacs at a $500-700 pricepoint, they'd probably dominate the low end user market the same way that the $100 iPods dominate the MP3 market. People want something that is affordable, and that works. If you can't deliver BOTH, they'll go elsewhere. And in this economy, many people are willing to compromise on "it just works" before they'll compromise on "it's inexpensive".
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#12 Jul 27 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I think we are kindred spirits Mikhalia Smiley: thumbsup

I too own all three, Windows 7 Gaming PC, Mac Mini (Also iPhone and iPad), and a linux box (Ubuntu) as well. Love and use all 3 regularly.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#13 Jul 27 2010 at 3:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
56 posts
I don't understand this notion that Apple makes "great computers for beginners."

For one thing: It doesn't; a learning curve is a learning curve is a learning curve no matter which machine its on. I continue to find difficulty maneuvering certain things on my Mac and that's with five years of use.

How does this statement qualify, at all? And of course, the natural followup question is: How is Windows NOT a great computer for beginners?

#14 Jul 27 2010 at 5:19 PM Rating: Decent
*
132 posts
I'm curious, since I've never owned a Mac, well other than my iPhone...

When you buy a iMac...

Say the.. built in Camera dies, or your optical drive dies... do you have to send back the entire unit to Apple for fix? Since everything is built into the monitor, what are the chances of unscrewing a component and replacing them individually? And if you do have to send back the entire unit, does Apple provide you with a free rental laptop or something?

I mean, I'm just curious as to how they are handling defect problems.


____________________________
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer
German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

#15 Jul 27 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Nonagon wrote:
I don't understand this notion that Apple makes "great computers for beginners."

For one thing: It doesn't; a learning curve is a learning curve is a learning curve no matter which machine its on. I continue to find difficulty maneuvering certain things on my Mac and that's with five years of use.

How does this statement qualify, at all? And of course, the natural followup question is: How is Windows NOT a great computer for beginners?


Again, before I go into this, I want to quantify this by saying I'm not trying to be a Mac fanboy because I'm far from it, but I can't answer this question ("Why is a Mac better for beginners?") without citing examples of how Macs are in fact easier for beginners. So I advise no one to take this post as me saying that "Macs are always better than PCs in all aspects". They are not. Do not misunderstand.

Anyway, there are a lot of logical things that seem more straightforward to do on a Mac for new users. A few examples:

- You don't really have to uninstall things on a Mac because there is no registry. In nearly all cases, just drag the application folder to the trash and you're done.
- You don't need to worry about installing anti-virus or anti-spyware software or keeping it up to date, because Macs "don't get viruses" (They still do sell AV software for Macs but I have no clue why anyone would waste money on it)
- All Apple-based programs and features are ALL tracked through Apple Software Update. iTunes, iPhoto, the OS, security updates, whenever anything new comes out, it's all in Apple Software Update. You don't have to worry about Windows Update for your OS, Java updates by itself, Adobe downloader.. etc.
- The iLife suite is all fully integrated. You can track your music in iTunes, keep track of (and edit) pictures in iPhoto), export both into iMovie to make a crappy little movie to impress your friends (and by impress your friends, I mean impress your own ability to bore the **** out of your friends), and use iDVD to burn it all to DVD. The communication betwen these programs is relatively seamless. There is no multimedia package that ships with any PC that is nearly as straightforward or intuitive for a new user.
- Moving things is more intuitive. You can drag pictures out of the iPhoto window or drag music out of the iTunes Window to copy the file to another folder or attach it to an email.
- Still can't figure out your Mac? Go to any Apple Store and sign up for a free class where they'll teach you all the basic **** you need to know.
- Force Quit also seems a lot more intuitive, due to brevity, than Task Manager does for new folks. It just tells you the name of the App, you click it and Force quit. There's not all this info about CPU usage and memory usage to "confuse" people (I don't get how it's confusing, but I've had people insist it is.)


Now I'm not saying Windows systems are significantly harder to pick up on; they're intuituve once you figure out what you're doing, but they're not necessarily intuitive to someone who is buying their first computer. For some reason, new users do not get the concept of folders, or more specifically do not get the concept of not putting every freaking thing you have on your **** desktop (And then calling tech support because you "Ran out of room on your hard drive" when what you mean is "My desktop is full of text files and pictures") Windows Vista and 7 have tried to take strides towards pushing people towards their home folder with separate folders for Documents/Pictures/Music (something Apple has done for years), but if you know any people who are stuck in a perpetual state of "newbie", you've seen some of the desktops to which I refer.

The Windows Start Menu also seems to confuse newer users too. I'm not sure why, because it makes perfect sense to me, but it goes back to the folder thing; new users don't grasp the idea of menus with submenus; they prefer a folder with a bunch of icons on it. Again, W7's ability to pin items to taskbar is a huge help for new users; Mac OS has had the Dock for years though.

If you've been using a Windows-based system for years like I have, Windows seems perfectly intuitive; everything makes sense, and doing it a different way (like Linux or Mac OS) makes less sense. In fact, I'd say that people who have NEVER owned a computer are more likely to pick up a Mac quicker than a Windows user is to pick up a Mac; the reason is because your mind is programmed in a way that it's easier to learn one thing than it is to relearn something new. My father is a pretty good example of this; he refuses to get off of XP SP2 -or- IE6 because he REFUSES to "have to learn it all over again". I mean, the guy is pretty intelligent; he works on safes for a living and has done carpentry and car work so he's far from unable to learn new things, but for some reason, anything computer-related that is new just confuses the everliving **** out of him.

It's not that "Macs are easier to learn than PCs" directly, because it's impossible to make that general statement, given that you can't compare the two without learning both and learning one before the other will predispose you to doing things a certain way... but for someone who has NEVER owned a computer, a Mac is easier for them to pick up on. Not that Windows systems are "hard", it just seems that for someone who has literally NEVER used the computer, they seem to pick up on a Mac quicker than they pick up on a Windows system.

I'll also say that through a degree and certifications, I will never claim to know everything there is to know software-wise about a Windows box. Conversely, when I applied for my first phone support position (with Apple), I was asked "How much experience do you have with Macs?" I told them "Honestly, I haven't used one since 7th grade; I don't know much at all." It was at this point I expected to be told "Thanks for coming in..." but instead it was "That's okay; we'll train you". A month's worth of training told me everything I needed to know to troubleshoot and fix Macs over the phone. Do you think you could train someone who has NEVER used a Windows box to EFFECTIVELY troubleshoot Windows machines over the phone with a month of training? I strongly doubt it. In fact, I'd say that anyone here who has ever had to call any tech support line would agree with me on that.

AGAIN, I'm not trying to make the statement that "Mac OS is better than Windows" because it really isn't. My Mac isn't going to play FFXIV (And neither will the one in the OP either). I'd never buy a Mac for games, I'd never use one in a business environment (unless that business was photo/video work), in fact, I think the whole "Switch" campaign is rather silly. But for someone who has never owned a system, if they said "Should I get Windows or Mac?" and cost was no object, and they didn't have any Windows-only programs they needed, I'd recommend a Mac to learn on.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#16 Jul 27 2010 at 5:24 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
AliensAreHere wrote:
I'm curious, since I've never owned a Mac, well other than my iPhone...

When you buy a iMac...

Say the.. built in Camera dies, or your optical drive dies... do you have to send back the entire unit to Apple for fix? Since everything is built into the monitor, what are the chances of unscrewing a component and replacing them individually? And if you do have to send back the entire unit, does Apple provide you with a free rental laptop or something?

I mean, I'm just curious as to how they are handling defect problems.




In the case of a desktop system (PowerMac or iMac) you can haul it into an Apple store. Depending on the severity of the issue and onhand parts, they can almost always fix it in store. I had this issue with my iMac G5; went into the Apple Store in a local mall, they looked at it, took it in the back, I went to the food court, came back, they had replaced the motherboard (they call it a "logic board"; not sure why) and it was good to go.

If you have an iBook or PowerBook, you have to ship it in. You call 1-800-APL-CARE and tell them your issue; if it is determined to be hardware, they will mail you a box with return label. Toss your system in there (back up your sh*t first because they may wipe your hard drive without warning and they do not back up data, I've had a lot of people ****** about that; it's a really sh*tty policy) and send it away and you usually have it back within 7-10 business days. Sucks. EDIT: No rental laptop. I heard that Apple Stores -used- to provide rental laptops if you sent the laptop in through them, but they don't anymore; haven't for years.

iPod/iPhone I didn't support, that was another department, so I'm not sure what they did.

Edited, Jul 27th 2010 7:25pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#17 Jul 27 2010 at 5:36 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
393 posts
This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know if the minimum/recommended requirements for PC will apply to a Mac as well? I have a Mac-user friend who is interested in FFXIV, but isn't exactly sure about the hardware & software requirements (virtual Windows and such). Sadly I am ill-equipped to answer those questions, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

#18 Jul 27 2010 at 5:48 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
uomaru wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know if the minimum/recommended requirements for PC will apply to a Mac as well? I have a Mac-user friend who is interested in FFXIV, but isn't exactly sure about the hardware & software requirements (virtual Windows and such). Sadly I am ill-equipped to answer those questions, so any help will be greatly appreciated.


Pretty much; yeah. Macs are Intel boxes just like Windows, so if you're running Windows on your Mac, it's no different than if you weren't. I'd tell your friend to load Windows through Boot Camp (not parallels) and run the benchmark to see how he does.

I don't expect him to do well though; if the OP is any indication, his GPU is probably horrible.

Tell him to give it a shot though. Worst case the benchmark crashes and his computer catches on fire, burning down his house, except that it turns out his basement houses a disused nuclear reactor which causes a several mule radius explosion, wiping hundreds of thousands of lives out and leaving many more permanently scarred and mutated, and THEN you find out that there was a bio lab down the street that was developing a cure for SuperAIDS, and now the SuperAIDS gets out and kills everyone on the planet, causing the aliens from Mars to land here, figuring the planet is inhabitable. Unfortunately for them, they're not immune to the virus, but it's airborne and has a long incubation period, resulting in them taking the virus back not only to Mars but to their home planet of Alpha Ceti VI. The disease spreads and SuperAIDS wipes out all life in the galaxy, all because your friend wanted to play FFXIV on a Mac.

But that's like... the worst case scenario.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#19 Jul 27 2010 at 5:50 PM Rating: Good
*
132 posts
I didn't realize that they were that efficient and can fix your problem on the spot.

Good to know.

Cool stuff Mikhalia.
____________________________
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer
German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

#20 Jul 27 2010 at 5:51 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Following my last post,

AliensAreHere wrote:
...


FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

EDIT: But no, seriously, they're pretty good about that sort of thing. Call first though.

EDIT2: That is to say, call the store. When you get the phone options, choose the one to talk to a Sales Associate, It was option 5, but could have changed. If you choose Tech Support, it reroutes you to a call center.

Edited, Jul 27th 2010 7:53pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#21 Jul 27 2010 at 6:01 PM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
Quote:
I don't understand this notion that Apple makes "great computers for beginners."


1) Relatively small market share = virtually no viruses or spyware for mac in the wild. Not 100% accurate, but close enough for rock n' roll.

2) Time machine. There is no easier to use and more convenient program for this purpose. If they sold Time Machine for PC I would buy it.

3) It baby steps you through EVERYTHING! Wireless networks, setting up E-mail. . it's just simplicity in itself. No trying to figure out how to setup mail in Windows live messenger.

4) OS X comes with a very easy to use contact list program and calendar. No having to spring for office business or professional for these features. Syncs perfectly with iPhone contact list and calendar.

5) There are no settings to really tweak [for the Layman] no system maintenance to deal with [again for the layman] no disk cleanup or defrag, SSDs don't suffer from performance loss like windows PCs do. You turn it on, do what you need to do with it, and it works.

Quote:
so if you're running Windows on your Mac, it's no different than if you weren't


I'd like to think that, as a general rule, windows machines don't run anywhere NEAR as hot as Apple machines running OS X AND ESPECIALLY WINDOWS.

My wife's old iMac. .you could almost fry an egg on the back of the thing at idle if it'd been on for awhile.

Other than that, yea. . it's all the same hardware components anymore.

Edited, Jul 27th 2010 8:03pm by seneleron

Edited, Jul 27th 2010 8:04pm by seneleron
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#22 Jul 27 2010 at 6:13 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
seneleron wrote:
Quote:
so if you're running Windows on your Mac, it's no different than if you weren't


I'd like to think that, as a general rule, windows machines don't run anywhere NEAR as hot as Apple machines running OS X AND ESPECIALLY WINDOWS.

My wife's old iMac. .you could almost fry an egg on the back of the thing at idle if it'd been on for awhile.

Other than that, yea. . it's all the same hardware components anymore.


That's because iMacs are glorified laptops. They may use desktop-sized HDs and RAM, but the motherboard can't fit a decent heatsink and fan on it like a desktop tower can, so the heat has to be dissipated over a larger surface.

Ever use a laptop for a prolonged period of time, on your lap, with no pants?

Same theory.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#23 Jul 27 2010 at 7:06 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
393 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Pretty much; yeah. Macs are Intel boxes just like Windows, so if you're running Windows on your Mac, it's no different than if you weren't. I'd tell your friend to load Windows through Boot Camp (not parallels) and run the benchmark to see how he does.

I don't expect him to do well though; if the OP is any indication, his GPU is probably horrible.

Tell him to give it a shot though. Worst case the benchmark crashes and his computer catches on fire, burning down his house, except that it turns out his basement houses a disused nuclear reactor which causes a several mule radius explosion, wiping hundreds of thousands of lives out and leaving many more permanently scarred and mutated, and THEN you find out that there was a bio lab down the street that was developing a cure for SuperAIDS, and now the SuperAIDS gets out and kills everyone on the planet, causing the aliens from Mars to land here, figuring the planet is inhabitable. Unfortunately for them, they're not immune to the virus, but it's airborne and has a long incubation period, resulting in them taking the virus back not only to Mars but to their home planet of Alpha Ceti VI. The disease spreads and SuperAIDS wipes out all life in the galaxy, all because your friend wanted to play FFXIV on a Mac.

But that's like... the worst case scenario.

Rate thee up, good sir.

...Except the teeny tiny part about my friend being a 'he'. But that is totally my fault for not clarifying.
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

#24 Jul 27 2010 at 7:23 PM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
Quote:
which causes a several mule radius explosion


If *ONLY* I could print and post the image in my head @ this line

ROTFLMAO!
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#25 Jul 27 2010 at 7:33 PM Rating: Excellent
**
800 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Tell him to give it a shot though. Worst case the benchmark crashes and his computer catches on fire, burning down his house, except that it turns out his basement houses a disused nuclear reactor which causes a several mule radius explosion, wiping hundreds of thousands of lives out and leaving many more permanently scarred and mutated, and THEN you find out that there was a bio lab down the street that was developing a cure for SuperAIDS, and now the SuperAIDS gets out and kills everyone on the planet, causing the aliens from Mars to land here, figuring the planet is inhabitable. Unfortunately for them, they're not immune to the virus, but it's airborne and has a long incubation period, resulting in them taking the virus back not only to Mars but to their home planet of Alpha Ceti VI. The disease spreads and SuperAIDS wipes out all life in the galaxy, all because your friend wanted to play FFXIV on a Mac.

But that's like... the worst case scenario.


Copied and saved for any possible "worst case scenario" I may run across in the future. I hope you don't mind. :)
#26 Jul 27 2010 at 8:01 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
56 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
/snip


You make strong arguments.

I don't want to segue into a whole other issue but I feel as though you've just created the ultimate argument for why the OS X is better designed than the Windows line. Better designed, not meaning, better.

You've placed "Accessibility" as an extreme on a spectrum, all on one side, and juxtaposed it to "Inaccessibility" on the far other end, with Windows and OS X on that spectrum. This justifies your argument that Macs are better for beginners if we assume (correctly): "Everyone needs to start somewhere."

Maybe I say this as a designer but in my head: accessibility isn't a spectrum, it's a characteristic, and the thing which can claim that characteristic most readily is a better designed product if it's being mass produced and sold.

This doesn't make potshots at Windows--to be sure. Windows does its thing, as does Mac, and so too Linux. You have MS Paint and Photoshop, state schools and Ivies, point-n-shoots and SLRs, GPs and specialists. One is more accessible, and rightly so, that's the focus. But in all these examples: be it sports, schools, software, cars, or tools people understood that "difficult" products don't try to be massively consumed.

Yet with Windows, it's simply interesting that its user friendliness (or lack thereof) has somehow propelled it this far, in spite of its failure when compared to what OS X succeeds at. (Of course, there's a vice versa.)
#27 Jul 27 2010 at 11:51 PM Rating: Excellent
**
749 posts
Quote:
But in all these examples: be it sports, schools, software, cars, or tools people understood that "difficult" products don't try to be massively consumed.

Yet with Windows, it's simply interesting that its user friendliness (or lack thereof) has somehow propelled it this far, in spite of its failure when compared to what OS X succeeds at. (Of course, there's a vice versa.)


All operating systems are easy to use and understand.

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair.

____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#28 Jul 28 2010 at 12:59 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
uomaru wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
Pretty much; yeah. Macs are Intel boxes just like Windows, so if you're running Windows on your Mac, it's no different than if you weren't. I'd tell your friend to load Windows through Boot Camp (not parallels) and run the benchmark to see how he does.

I don't expect him to do well though; if the OP is any indication, his GPU is probably horrible.

Tell him to give it a shot though. Worst case the benchmark crashes and his computer catches on fire, burning down his house, except that it turns out his basement houses a disused nuclear reactor which causes a several mule radius explosion, wiping hundreds of thousands of lives out and leaving many more permanently scarred and mutated, and THEN you find out that there was a bio lab down the street that was developing a cure for SuperAIDS, and now the SuperAIDS gets out and kills everyone on the planet, causing the aliens from Mars to land here, figuring the planet is inhabitable. Unfortunately for them, they're not immune to the virus, but it's airborne and has a long incubation period, resulting in them taking the virus back not only to Mars but to their home planet of Alpha Ceti VI. The disease spreads and SuperAIDS wipes out all life in the galaxy, all because your friend wanted to play FFXIV on a Mac.

But that's like... the worst case scenario.

Rate thee up, good sir.

...Except the teeny tiny part about my friend being a 'he'. But that is totally my fault for not clarifying.


Unlisted side effect: Your friend grows a *****. Sorry. Hope you weren't dating.

Hydragyrum wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
snip


Copied and saved for any possible "worst case scenario" I may run across in the future. I hope you don't mind. :)


Not at all; I'd like credit for it if possible, but won't whine if you don't give it.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#29 Jul 28 2010 at 1:18 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Nonagon wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
/snip


You make strong arguments.

I don't want to segue into a whole other issue but I feel as though you've just created the ultimate argument for why the OS X is better designed than the Windows line. Better designed, not meaning, better.

You've placed "Accessibility" as an extreme on a spectrum, all on one side, and juxtaposed it to "Inaccessibility" on the far other end, with Windows and OS X on that spectrum. This justifies your argument that Macs are better for beginners if we assume (correctly): "Everyone needs to start somewhere."

Maybe I say this as a designer but in my head: accessibility isn't a spectrum, it's a characteristic, and the thing which can claim that characteristic most readily is a better designed product if it's being mass produced and sold.

This doesn't make potshots at Windows--to be sure. Windows does its thing, as does Mac, and so too Linux. You have MS Paint and Photoshop, state schools and Ivies, point-n-shoots and SLRs, GPs and specialists. One is more accessible, and rightly so, that's the focus. But in all these examples: be it sports, schools, software, cars, or tools people understood that "difficult" products don't try to be massively consumed.

Yet with Windows, it's simply interesting that its user friendliness (or lack thereof) has somehow propelled it this far, in spite of its failure when compared to what OS X succeeds at. (Of course, there's a vice versa.)


Well the problem that Macs have is twofold.

One, and this is surmountable but they refuse to address it, is that there are comparable products on the market that cost significantly less. So long as a Mac costs 2-3x as much as a comparable Windows system, most people will buy Windows. It doesn't matter how user friendly the Mac is, no one is going to buy it at that price unless they magically start offering something that is worth the extra 600-800 dollars.

Two, and this is out of Apple's control, is that people have been using Windows for years. The Apple II line has dominated elementary schools in the early 90s, but the home computer has always been the IBM compatible. When Macintosh and Microsoft both made the switch from TUI to GUI, they looked rather similar; Windows 3.x looked a lot like the early Mac OSes. OS7 was the current Mac OS when Windows 95 came out, and Windows 95 looked A LOT better than OS7 did, that's for **** sure. Macintosh answered with OS8 in '97, which still looked like crap, and Microsoft replied with 98 and 98SE which looked a **** of a lot more polished. Apple purchased NeXT in late '96 but didn't produce OS X 10.0 until 2001. That was 6 years (and another operating system, OS9) worth of Windows looking a **** of a lot more visually appealing than Macs did.

Now OS X looked a lot smoother than ME or XP, and has held the "I look prettier" trophy until Vista came out, but it didn't matter by this point. People had been buying and using IBM compatibles for so long that the next logical step for Windows users has almost always been to get another Windows system. The concept of replacing their Windows system with a Mac never enters most peoples' minds because as I mentioned before, people don't like learning new things if they can avoid it.

There is very little that would compel a person to not only learn a whole new OS from scratch after using a different one for 10+ years, ESPECIALLY when they have to pay 2-3x the amount of money to do it.

Indeed, everyone does need to start somewhere and I still submit that if someone has never touched a computer, a Mac is easier for a beginner to pick up and learn than Linux or Windows are. But being realistic, it's extremely unlikely that someone is going to end up buying a Mac as their first computer for 2-3X the price, not even if the video professor guy jumped out of the **** thing and taught you himself.

I'm not going to argue which OS is "better designed" because that depends entirely on what you're going to use it for and is completely subjective. And Windows systems are far more accessible based solely on price and availability.

Apple is just in a hole that they would have their work cut out for them to dig themselves out of if they wanted to step up their market share in the home computing industry. That means lowering your prices to be competitive -AND- convincing people to give your product a chance. The ads with "I'm a Mac" guy and "I'm a PC" guy are only half of the battle.

Look at iPods and iPhones: Apple has proven that if you make a product affordable and intuitive, people will buy it. Their computers are intuitive, so why the **** won't they make them affordable? I don't get it.

So yeah, Microsoft's success has nothing to do with the amount of user friendliness the system has and everything to do with being at the right place at the right time with a better looking product at a lower price. (1995-2001)

Edited, Jul 28th 2010 11:51am by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#30 Jul 28 2010 at 2:55 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I would only buy a mac for someone else or if I really cared about aesthetics. I love the mac pro cases and cinema displays. ( although I'd buy an HP IPS display for half price :))

I have an iphone and I'm actually using it right now as a mouse and keyboard on my PC through a Logitech app. (very cool)

But yeah macs are pretty easy to use, however Windows 7 is really easy too (compared to past versions) and is a lot like OSX in so many ways; search, the taskbar, the cleaner look.

Plus like someone else said, marketshare has a lot to do with Apples success. Ironically the niche market Apple has put themselves in has protected them from virus attacks and a tighter lock on manufacturing.

However the popularity of the iphone and its recent problems go hand in hand. In part it shows that Apple isnt invincible (yeah really) and that more marketshare has its own problems.

When you think about Windows and microsoft and their marketshare and all of the different drivers and program compatibility that they have to cater to; its amazing that it is done at all.

With all of that said, dont buy a mac if you want to play ffxiv. :)
#31 Jul 28 2010 at 5:14 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
well the iMac is not made to be a high-end gaming system, it's an all-in-one for regular family users for everyday use.

that said, it will probably run FF14 OK (with the 5750 card at least), but not with all the fancy graphics effects.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#32 Jul 28 2010 at 5:31 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
I'm happy with my vastly cheaper/more powerful PC.

Not including things like CPU usage in the mac version of a task manager seems like a bad thing to me. Besides, last I checked, the task manager has an applications tab that simplifies and filters the processes tab.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#33 Jul 28 2010 at 6:18 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,311 posts
Quote:
- You don't need to worry about installing anti-virus or anti-spyware software or keeping it up to date, because Macs "don't get viruses" (They still do sell AV software for Macs but I have no clue why anyone would waste money on it)


Lol, you can get viruses on macs, you just don't see it as often. Macs are more popular then before, so people are writing viruses for it now.

Personaly,I find it cute that Mac is trying to be a gaming machine, and sell it that way. "it can run games"* (note, you will need to buy Windows to install on your mac to play most of the games)

Is FFXIV even playable on the mac? I'v not looked.
____________________________
Mariox - Quetzalcoatl
75 RDM/BST/PLD/SMN.
Excalibur Obtained
--Retired 2007
#34 Jul 28 2010 at 7:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
56 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Nonagon wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
/snip


You make strong arguments.

I don't want to segue into a whole other issue but I feel as though you've just created the ultimate argument for why the OS X is better designed than the Windows line. Better designed, not meaning, better.

You've placed "Accessibility" as an extreme on a spectrum, all on one side, and juxtaposed it to "Inaccessibility" on the far other end, with Windows and OS X on that spectrum. This justifies your argument that Macs are better for beginners if we assume (correctly): "Everyone needs to start somewhere."

Maybe I say this as a designer but in my head: accessibility isn't a spectrum, it's a characteristic, and the thing which can claim that characteristic most readily is a better designed product if it's being mass produced and sold.

This doesn't make potshots at Windows--to be sure. Windows does its thing, as does Mac, and so too Linux. You have MS Paint and Photoshop, state schools and Ivies, point-n-shoots and SLRs, GPs and specialists. One is more accessible, and rightly so, that's the focus. But in all these examples: be it sports, schools, software, cars, or tools people understood that "difficult" products don't try to be massively consumed.

Yet with Windows, it's simply interesting that its user friendliness (or lack thereof) has somehow propelled it this far, in spite of its failure when compared to what OS X succeeds at. (Of course, there's a vice versa.)


Well the problem that Macs have is twofold.

One, and this is surmountable but they refuse to address it, is that there are comparable products on the market that cost significantly less. So long as a Mac costs 2-3x as much as a comparable Windows system, most people will buy Macs. It doesn't matter how user friendly the Mac is, no one is going to buy it at that price unless they magically start offering something that is worth the extra 600-800 dollars.

Two, and this is out of Apple's control, is that people have been using Windows for years. The Apple II line has dominated elementary schools in the early 90s, but the home computer has always been the IBM compatible. When Macintosh and Microsoft both made the switch from TUI to GUI, they looked rather similar; Windows 3.x looked a lot like the early Mac OSes. OS7 was the current Mac OS when Windows 95 came out, and Windows 95 looked A LOT better than OS7 did, that's for **** sure. Macintosh answered with OS8 in '97, which still looked like crap, and Microsoft replied with 98 and 98SE which looked a **** of a lot more polished. Apple purchased NeXT in late '96 but didn't produce OS X 10.0 until 2001. That was 6 years (and another operating system, OS9) worth of Windows looking a **** of a lot more visually appealing than Macs did.

Now OS X looked a lot smoother than ME or XP, and has held the "I look prettier" trophy until Vista came out, but it didn't matter by this point. People had been buying and using IBM compatibles for so long that the next logical step for Windows users has almost always been to get another Windows system. The concept of replacing their Windows system with a Mac never enters most peoples' minds because as I mentioned before, people don't like learning new things if they can avoid it.

There is very little that would compel a person to not only learn a whole new OS from scratch after using a different one for 10+ years, ESPECIALLY when they have to pay 2-3x the amount of money to do it.

Indeed, everyone does need to start somewhere and I still submit that if someone has never touched a computer, a Mac is easier for a beginner to pick up and learn than Linux or Windows are. But being realistic, it's extremely unlikely that someone is going to end up buying a Mac as their first computer for 2-3X the price, not even if the video professor guy jumped out of the **** thing and taught you himself.

I'm not going to argue which OS is "better designed" because that depends entirely on what you're going to use it for and is completely subjective. And Windows systems are far more accessible based solely on price and availability.

Apple is just in a hole that they would have their work cut out for them to dig themselves out of if they wanted to step up their market share in the home computing industry. That means lowering your prices to be competitive -AND- convincing people to give your product a chance. The ads with "I'm a Mac" guy and "I'm a PC" guy are only half of the battle.

Look at iPods and iPhones: Apple has proven that if you make a product affordable and intuitive, people will buy it. Their computers are intuitive, so why the **** won't they make them affordable? I don't get it.

So yeah, Microsoft's success has nothing to do with the amount of user friendliness the system has and everything to do with being at the right place at the right time with a better looking product at a lower price. (1995-2001)


EDIT: Never mind. Nicely said, and very enlightening.



Edited, Jul 28th 2010 9:39am by Nonagon
#35 Jul 28 2010 at 7:40 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
I don't know, Apple did an awesome job of making americans think they "need" 8GB of music with them at all times. Probably the kind that watch the Super Bowl for the commercials(ugh). I guess when you're talking computers, the majority just wants the cheap walmart computer so they can get on the internet. No need to pay more for a computer in that case. Most people I know with an apple tend to do some kind of multimedia work on it.

Edited, Jul 28th 2010 9:45am by TwistedOwl
#36 Jul 28 2010 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Mariox wrote:
Quote:
- You don't need to worry about installing anti-virus or anti-spyware software or keeping it up to date, because Macs "don't get viruses" (They still do sell AV software for Macs but I have no clue why anyone would waste money on it)


Lol, you can get viruses on macs, you just don't see it as often. Macs are more popular then before, so people are writing viruses for it now.

Personaly,I find it cute that Mac is trying to be a gaming machine, and sell it that way. "it can run games"* (note, you will need to buy Windows to install on your mac to play most of the games)

Is FFXIV even playable on the mac? I'v not looked.


Not unless you install Windows on it; no, and even if you did, I'm pretty sure the hardware (GPU mostly) is too ****** to handle XIV on a Mac.

As far as gaming on a Mac (natively, in OSX), there's Blizzard games (Starcraft, Diablo, Warcraft) and then... I don't know of any others.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#37 Jul 28 2010 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
**
782 posts
Quote:
high end photographer/videographers)


I work in a shop that deal with large scale design work. Macs suck in this area these days too.

To get a mac that performs as well as a $1200 PC I have to configure it to well over $4000 per machine.

I setup one windows 7 machine to see how it would compare to the macs, everyone who uses it wishes their system performed as well. I even used a single quad core2 instead of duel xeons.
#38 Jul 28 2010 at 10:07 AM Rating: Decent
**
577 posts
From YEARRRRS ago, so not as accurate today, but still hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxPXFptzQRY

"On a PC you have to open up your case, swap out your video card, change jumpers. On a mac, when it's time to upgrade, you just pick it up, throw it away, and go buy another one. Now THAT'S convenience."

(P.S. Some of you may recognize the guy's voice from Red vs Blue.)

Edited, Jul 28th 2010 12:10pm by khorbin
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#39 Jul 28 2010 at 10:09 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
windexy wrote:
Quote:
high end photographer/videographers)


I work in a shop that deal with large scale design work. Macs suck in this area these days too.

To get a mac that performs as well as a $1200 PC I have to configure it to well over $4000 per machine.

I setup one windows 7 machine to see how it would compare to the macs, everyone who uses it wishes their system performed as well. I even used a single quad core2 instead of duel xeons.


That's a shame to hear.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#40 Jul 28 2010 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
*
65 posts
bsphil wrote:
Not including things like CPU usage in the mac version of a task manager seems like a bad thing to me. Besides, last I checked, the task manager has an applications tab that simplifies and filters the processes tab.


Oh, that sort of thing, and much more, is there, just not in the "Force Quit..." menu that most users would have to access. Activity Monitor, a utility included with Mac OS X, tracks Process Name, what user it's running as, the number of threads it's spawned, real and virtual memory used, the code base (PPC emulation, Intel, Intel 64, etc), disk activity & throughput, etc. etc.

What Apple has done is a very rough equivalent of having "idiot lights" on the dashboard, but full diagnostic readouts under the hood.

On a tangental note, I ran the FFXIV benchmark on my 2006 Mac Pro (1,1) with 8800GT, and at least on low it scored 2895. Not bad for a 4 1/2 year old computer...
____________________________
Painted - Mithra - Caitsith
MNK 78 - WHM 70 - THF 56 - BRD 51 - WAR 37 --- Maat: 1/1
Wood 60 - Cook 60 - Alch 60 - Leather 50 - Bone 55 - Cloth 55
Paintedsham - Doomhammer - Shaman 80 <RETIRED>
#41 Jul 28 2010 at 2:49 PM Rating: Decent
**
577 posts
Quote:
2006 Mac Pro (1,1) with 8800GT


I'm confused. The 8800GT wasn't released until late 2007 or early 2008 (I bought it just after it came out). Not saying you're lying, but either you upgraded the card, your card is not actually an 8800GT, or your computer is newer than that. Which one?
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#42 Jul 28 2010 at 4:10 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
khorbin wrote:
Quote:
2006 Mac Pro (1,1) with 8800GT


I'm confused. The 8800GT wasn't released until late 2007 or early 2008 (I bought it just after it came out). Not saying you're lying, but either you upgraded the card, your card is not actually an 8800GT, or your computer is newer than that. Which one?


The 2008 Mac Pro had the 8800GT as a customizable option at purchase. The 2006 Mac Pro had a GT 7300, X1900, or Quadro FX 4500.

Source

So the only way a 8800GT is in a 2006 Mac Pro is if you upgraded it.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#43 Jul 29 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Good
*
65 posts
Oop, yeah, the 8800GT was an upgrade to the X1900 ATI that came with the beast.

My X1900 got rather clogged with dust, and overheated; not to mention that it was a noisy beast (and yeah, the 8800GT isn't exactly quiet either). A few months after the 2008 Pro's came out, they released a 32bit EFI version of the 8800GT so I nabbed one of them.

Thanks for catching that, I had forgotten that I had done that actually.
____________________________
Painted - Mithra - Caitsith
MNK 78 - WHM 70 - THF 56 - BRD 51 - WAR 37 --- Maat: 1/1
Wood 60 - Cook 60 - Alch 60 - Leather 50 - Bone 55 - Cloth 55
Paintedsham - Doomhammer - Shaman 80 <RETIRED>
#44 Jul 29 2010 at 3:27 PM Rating: Default
*
88 posts
Mariox wrote:
Quote:
- You don't need to worry about installing anti-virus or anti-spyware software or keeping it up to date, because Macs "don't get viruses" (They still do sell AV software for Macs but I have no clue why anyone would waste money on it)


Lol, you can get viruses on macs, you just don't see it as often. Macs are more popular then before, so people are writing viruses for it now.


i dont know exactly how it works but the reason why you dont see viruses on the mac is because osx is based on a system called unix rather than x86/x64 and 1 of the advantages of that is if someone does write a virus for a mac it only screws up a single program it infects so all you have to do is reinstall that 1 program, you dont have to reinstall your entire os like you may have to with windows. also it deals with multitasking better and doesnt suffer from slowdown as much as the average windows machine. osx is technically a much better os than windows, if it was the same price point or not much highe and had the same compatibililty (software and hardware wise) as a windows machine everyone would be using it.


Edited, Jul 29th 2010 5:34pm by jamiehavok
#45 Jul 29 2010 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
I'd never buy a Mac for games, I'd never use one in a business environment (unless that business was photo/video work), in fact, I think the whole "Switch" campaign is rather silly.


I would second this.

I use a new 24" iMac at work. It has to interface with a remote database, but we run everything on software custom built for the company by Microsoft (don't ask why we have this particular setup, it's just ridiculous).

I have to use Parallels to run Windows to run the software. To interface with the remote database, I also have to use cisco VPN client. Originally, I was able to do this inside of parallels, so pretty much I just ran everything out of Windows. We recently upgraded the Parallels to a newer version, and it broke the cisco VPN client. We then had to get a copy of the VPN client for apple (the original one was for Windows and could not be run outside of it).

It's all just a bogged down mess.

The owner of the company is in love with everything Apple, so I have no choice. I have to say though, that my home PC which cost me almost the same amount as this thing (minus things like the monitor) absolutely destroys this iMac in performance. For everything.

My biggest complaints are 1) ridiculous prices for equivalent or lower end components 2) lack of upgradability (though from my understanding, the new Apples are moving towards being component swappable by the end user) and 3) rigidity. I hate Apples stance on proprietary software. Sure, there are a lot of applications that have a Mac version, or can be made to run on a Mac, or run on a mac using Parallels or Boot Camp and Windows... but yeah. Annoying. Just like the ipad. I would have bought one to use as an e-reader/web browser, except for the fact that most of the e-books and files I have wouldn't be able to run on it.

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 11:46pm by Fetter
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#46 Jul 29 2010 at 6:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
56 posts
I've been in businesses where the majority of people use Macs. The businesses ranged from people in Communications and Marketing to people in Audio/Visual equipment. Save for the marketing peeps (where I am now) there are no real reasons why people use OS X, except for the fact that it's there. I don't see why a good business shouldn't be able to use Apples instead of Windows. A competent IT should be able to build around the choice of computer, as has ours.

And I personally am not a fan of the UI on Windows. The thing I like about Mac is that its design choices are by and large unassuming. They work themselves right into the banality of what you're doing—which is a plus when you're doing it 8 hours, 5 days a week.

I haven't interacted much with 7, but Vista had all. These. Pretty. Little. Gradients and I just wanted it to cease. It seemed garish at times. Moreover, Apple's monitors are much more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. Just processed metal. No frills to speak of.

Now you're all probably thinking: "Is princess really that sensitive?" Yes. A good friend of mine recommended several HDDs with enclosures to save money on that pre-packaged deals and I had none of it because the enclosures had their big, hunking logos, typefaces, and marketing copy on all the front end. I don't care if it's an HDD, a scanner, or a mouse: if I'm going to be staring at you all day long you shouldn't be staring back.

But this is coming from a designer. We dim our lights and buy IKEA lamps to glow our workstations. When you're always thinking about the aesthetic of everything you do, you notice the big screen in front of you and if it's unsatisfactory it can be a drag.
#47 Jul 30 2010 at 12:09 AM Rating: Good
**
577 posts
Quote:
i dont know exactly how it works but the reason why you dont see viruses on the mac is because osx is based on a system called unix rather than x86/x64


The part where you said "I don't know..."? Yeah, that was redundant. We can tell you don't know what you're talking about by the fact that you contrasted unix, an operating system, with x86/x64, which are instruction set architectures. Apples and oranges.

Quote:
and 1 of the advantages of that is if someone does write a virus for a mac it only screws up a single program it infects so all you have to do is reinstall that 1 program, you dont have to reinstall your entire os like you may have to with windows.


Wow. Yeah, someone fed you some bullsh*t there. Any running program can write to the main applications folder in OSX, but would need administrator permission to write to the OS itself. That means that, yes, without your input, a virus can't really do much to the core OS, but as for the claim that viruses can only affect one program at a time? Wrong. Actually, since Vista/7 and UAC, Windows has basically replicated this. Still, if a virus asks you for permission to write to the operating system and you're dumb enough to click yes, you're still screwed whether you're on Linux, Windows, or OSX. Generally speaking, there's no getting around stupid users.

Some people say that OSX is less vulnerable only because of its lower market share. That's at least part of it.

Quote:
also it deals with multitasking better and doesnt suffer from slowdown as much as the average windows machine. osx is technically a much better os than windows, if it was the same price point or not much highe and had the same compatibililty (software and hardware wise) as a windows machine everyone would be using it.


Not going to go into that. It's all fluffy words that don't mean much or anything. For example, what's an "average" windows machine? It's like putting things on your resume like "ability to learn quickly," or "great people skills." It might fool some people, but when you get right down to it, it's just fluff.

Don't get me wrong. I like apple, and I think they make good products. But you fell HARD for some marketing BS from someone. It's not magic. It's an OS. It can't solve all of your problems, and one single OS isn't going to be right for everyone.

I don't mean to pick on you, but if you're going to evangelize for apple computers, there are enough positives that are actually true that you shouldn't be spreading misinformation.

Edited, Jul 30th 2010 2:21am by khorbin
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#48 Jul 30 2010 at 1:10 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
khorbin wrote:
Some people say that OSX is less vulnerable only because of its lower market share. That's at least part of it.


It also has a lot to do with the fact that many virus writers are script kiddies who don't know **** about coding anything; they just copy other peoples' code. Then there's the fact that currently one of the most popular malware packages out there are smitfraud variants; trojans that install themselves, pop up Windows error messages in the taskbar, telling you that "Microsoft (or "Windows") has detected a virus" and that you need to click to download a program to remove it.

For one, Mac OS and Linux have no "taskbar" in teh sense that Windows does; rather, they aren't in the same physical place on the HD. Plus there's the fact that .exe and .dll files, the preferred method of virus/spyware driveby, are not compatible with *nix OSes without some sort of emulator or equivalent like WINE or Parallels.

Most viruses and spyware, assuming you get them on your system in the first place, will drop **** into the registry to keep them putting themselves back on. They'll also drop their DLLs in the system32 folder or the windows system folder to make themselves appear more valid. They also like to toss themselves into System Volume Information to infect RPs.

Since *NIX (and by proxy, Mac OS) doesn't natively run .exe files or .dll files, and doesn't have a registry, and stores all the important **** in a different place, these viruses won't work. And they are indeed the lion's share of the viruses that are out there.

With *NIX, even Admin accounts still don't have root access unless you give it to them, which makes infecting parts of the system more difficult. There's also the fact that they'd have to deliver themselves in the form of .bin files (since DMG is way too obvious).

Infecting a Linux or Mac box with a virus isn't IMPOSSIBLE, it just requires someone with the will to do some damage to know Unix well enough to write the program who also can get it onto people's systems. Most of the people writing viruses don't know Unix.

So no, *NIX isn't "immune to viruses", but they're resistant to them; partially because of OS design and partially because of lack of people writing them.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#49 Jul 30 2010 at 2:55 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, macs are fantastic...


I beg to differ. My wife's macbook pro is a p.o.s. and my uncle's gargantuan $2000 mac would choke on high res bench. Waste of money if you're a gamer.

Quote:
Step up to even faster graphics. ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB of memory. Or enjoy amazing performance with the ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory. You’ll notice the speed boost every time you run your favorite 3D applications and games.


^ is that a joke?

Edited, Jul 30th 2010 1:57am by GuardianFaith
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)