Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Soloing a reality...but how?Follow

#1 Jul 29 2010 at 1:09 AM Rating: Good
*
87 posts
(there's so much speculation in this you could dip a cookie in it, take a bite, and go "Mmm, speculation".)

In FFXI, after a certain level it became a neccesity to form a full party if you wanted to level with any speed. Forming a full and balanced party could take a while (it's taken me a few hours before), and maintaining one could be more difficult than leveling itself. The solo factor has become one of the biggest complaints of FFXI, and they're claiming to have solved this issue in FFXIV.

But how?

In FFXI, soloing up at the beginning was fairly easy; you simply walk outside of your starting city and start attacking enemies in that immediate area. When you leveled above those enemies you then expanded your "attack-zone" to include stronger enemies. Simply put, the further you traveled from the city the more difficult the enemies were, the more exp they gave. I believe this is how it'll be set-up, but on a much larger scale.

Every zone will have a focus, a starting area that holds enemies equal to the minimum level required to enter that area. These starting areas will likely be located right in the entrace/exit line located to the closest starting city. The level of difficulty will sphere out in layers, each layer encompassing enemies of a higher degree.

So, if you are soloing, once you've mastered all the monsters up to the entrace of a new area, then it's time to enter that area. This of course won't be the case for all areas, just the main ones connecting your starting city to the main hub of all other nations (a Juno for example). There will be a peppering of side-areas and dungeons that'll be deadly for all but the more experienced adventurers, but you should get the idea you're not ready for that area from the first monsters you spot. For the most part though, traveling solo to the hub should be easily solo-able.

Forming a party will have it's advantages though. By forming a party, not only will you be able to access areas you would never consider solo at your level, but you'll level much quicker. Even though FFXIV lacks a traditional exp system, it still will work very simular to one. Just as how defeating a high level mob will grant lots of exp in FFXI, in FFXIV performing a successful action upon a high level mob should grant great skill points. Sure, because the mob is higher, then success will be lower, but due to the fact you're in a party it should even out. If, for example, soloing grants you an average of 1-3 skill points per battle, being in a party should grant around 2-7 per battle.

I believe this is how the system will be set-up. Soloing will be available for those that don't feel like a party, but forming a party will always be in your best interest. Therefor we should expect the best of both worlds; a healthy support of gamers of all play-styles, and the freindly natured community we've come to love from FFXI.

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 3:11am by Futzbucket
#2 Jul 29 2010 at 1:35 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Have you played WoW?

I would think that SE won't go THAT far and I'm sure soloers will be tied more to the guildleves than they would like.

I would think that to level up at any substantial pace, you will have to group up. I'm going to assume that solo grinding will still be very tedious without guildleves...

But I would like to be proven wrong.
#3 Jul 29 2010 at 1:47 AM Rating: Good
*
87 posts
Kierk wrote:
Have you played WoW?

I would think that SE won't go THAT far and I'm sure soloers will be tied more to the guildleves than they would like.

I would think that to level up at any substantial pace, you will have to group up. I'm going to assume that solo grinding will still be very tedious without guildleves...

But I would like to be proven wrong.


I've played very little of WoW. Is that what I've described?

Well, SE did say they created the solo practice with the casual gamer in mind.

I agree in that I believe grouping-up should be the most efficient way to level, but I feel it'll be fairly easy to solo, be it at a much slower pace than in a group. Also, I feel they'll have many quests that'll need a party, so one would be wise to get used to working in a party early on.
#4 Jul 29 2010 at 1:58 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this in action. I soloed way more than most people I knew in XI. Many in my LS would complain about levelling a new job to 10 for the dunes, but I always soloed to 15-16 or further then went to the dunes. I had a certain system for it that worked pretty well though obviously more time consuming. I'd go to a region that had more potential drops of crafting items I could use. Kind of a way to replace the established grind schedule with something I enjoyed more and with no drama. I would solo even more once those FoV's came out. That actually made it fairly efficient to solo while waiting on a party.

I like what you say on the subject, because it's not that I want the game to be completely soloable from start to finish. I enjoyed partying a **** of a lot, but got tired of it being a requirement. I'd much prefer having many soloable options available in case I get sick of sitting around waiting for an invite. Sounds like they're trying to find more of a balance this time and I'm all for that.

Even with those guildleves, they mentioned that the harder ones would require bigger groups & would no doubt have better items/gil for completion. And everybody wants the cool stuff...

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 4:00am by TwistedOwl
#5 Jul 29 2010 at 2:23 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
It's exactly like WoW. However WoWs system did get tedious because there wasn't enough grouping. There were just boring quests after boring quest. Level, then level some more. Spiraling difficulty out (like you described) until you cross over another zone.

You would only really group for certain dungeons or instances. The key is you were able to effectively DUO or TRIO things too. I just don't want to have to wait HOURS to find a FULL group. Especially because its not an optimal setup.

But now that you mention soloability, I think it's really hard to make a MMO soloable (for the casual user) without going to a WoW type system. Especially because of the lack of PvP. (Personally in WoW I would hit max level then just PvP; which was fun but gets old after a while)

When I was soloing in FFXI with my DRG (last year) the books (I forgot what they were called) with the quests outside the cities really helped out a lot. However they were very limited if you wanted to JUST solo all day. I think maybe there was a good hour of extra EXP, but the rest of the time you were back to grinding mobs, one after another, on the brink of danger, with battles usually lasting a couple of minutes for little EXP.

Now don't get me wrong, it was fun, just tedious. Though I feel SE will copy more from their own playbook than WoWs. That's why I'm not holding my breath for a 'true' solo experience.

However if it is anything in between FFXI and WoW I would be very happy.

(Side note: I've noticed that a lot of classes have TP to HP skills, in otherwords self healing types of skills, I'm assuming to assist in the solo realm. Maybe to offset aggro/hate in groups, a more even distribution perhaps)
#6 Jul 29 2010 at 2:48 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
255 posts
Ahhh solo'ing bombs on SMN - Pleasant memories.

WoW was ridiculous - XP'ing was almost an entirely solo affair (mind you, I did get on that train quite late). I really enjoyed how ffxi kinda forced people together almost - it made for a very good community because you really had to perform to your best and protect your reputation in any given class.

How many ffxi'ers have experienced that thrill of joining an existing party only to have the pt members say "omg, you're soooo much better than our last xxx". That's a pretty good feeling.
____________________________
[img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/15834_3d32ad424a3db4b1.png[/img]
#7 Jul 29 2010 at 3:21 AM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
Leveling is all tied into the guildleves. Most of the quests you receive apparently will give you the option of doing them with others for better rewards but you can do them all solo.
#8 Jul 29 2010 at 4:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
I personally like the idea of solo'ing some, mainly BECAUSE

1. having to wait forever for a full pt to get together was near impossible for the casual gamer like myself (sorry, gotta pay the bills somehow)

b. stupid elite people that would only invite certain people/jobs/gear whores ("Oh, we need a DD....except no pup, blu, war, bst"..... then why dont you just say "Oh, we need a rng")

Yes, i know there's more DD jobs out there... just trying to prove a point....
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#9 Jul 29 2010 at 4:18 AM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
I'm honestly hoping they find a good mix between a WoW type solo grind and a FFXI party grind. It'll be tricky yes but I can hope.
#10 Jul 29 2010 at 5:42 AM Rating: Good
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I like partying, I just don't like having to sit for an hour to wait for a healer or a tank.

I hope what they've done is make it easier to have smaller groups, and make it more viable to party with varied combinations. I also hope they keep something like Levelsync in the game, so lower level players can play with higher level ones.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#11 Jul 29 2010 at 6:11 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,537 posts
The only thing with being able to solo the entire leveling curve is that most players will do this because it's easier. If you could get epic gear by doing a simple fetch quest or get the same gear where you had to organize ten people and take down a complicated boss, most everyone would choose the former. That's an extreme example, but it's just human to take the easier/quicker route.

SE will need to make soloing possible but with limitations. For example, about an hour or two worth of leve quests for a given level range, then force partying. Or, perhaps, make soloing viable at all times but make so that there's downtime between each mob. I think that would motivate people to actually party.

Anything approaching WoW's system and partying dies until you're capped and ready to raid.
____________________________

Activities:
FFXIV Beta Test
Starcraft II Silver League
#12 Jul 29 2010 at 6:45 AM Rating: Good
**
782 posts
Quote:
At the start of the beta test there were many frustrations and worries due to the various issues such as the login difficulties. While there are still some issues remaining, we have determined that it is stable enough to hold the test for 24 hours straight. So starting today, the beta test will move on to phase 2 (Beta 2)!

Also the development is operating at full steam to add more new features, make a number of adjustments and address various issues and server load problems, so that the next phase of beta test (Beta 3) can begin somewhere between early and mid-August. With all the feedback provided on the forums and elsewhere, we are doing our very best to make sure that as many of your opinions as possible are heard. Please look forward to Beta 3!

Now, I have a few favors to ask regarding the beta test and I’d also like to explain some terms that previously weren’t explained in enough detail.

Guildleve and Party Play We have received feedback saying that there aren’t enough monsters since Guildleves only get updated once every two days and testers are forced to battle monsters outside of levequests. There are two reasons behind this problem. One is that we didn’t explain our intentions clearly enough and the other is that what we intended is not working properly.

Levequests are designed to be a part of the game that players can enjoy casually in solo situations. However, levequests are also designed as an element for parties to take part in. To make sure they work for both kinds of players, it comes with the ability to adjust their level of difficulty. Even if you were to run out of levequest offers for a particular challenge, you can still join in on the levequests of others. This also comes with the following advantages:

* Both skill level and physical level can be increased
* You are able to receive the mission reward (Gil)

The system is designed to have no disadvantages for having more players in the party. So in case you run out of offers on available levequests, please cooperate with others and tackle other various levequests.

If you currently have levequest offers available, or levequests that may be a bit difficult at your level, please try and recruit some party members. Those of you who are familiar with FINAL FANTASY XI are probably already aware of this but a party is formed by a leader running a search and recruiting members by directly contacting the player. However, in order to lessen the burden on party leaders, we have implemented a feature where players can automatically join the party if they meet the requirements set forth by the party leader.

We are planning to implement features in response to feedback such as "Allow us to form a party if our current physical level matches, even if our skill levels are different" and "Allow us to form a party even when we are far away from each other, but able to use Teleport" in Beta 3. Since there still are many parts of the game that are incomplete, we wish to receive more feedback on things of this nature.

As you can see, we would like testers to enjoy the party play options in levequests but at same time we are aware that the game is not optimally balanced yet. For example, skill rank increases more during battles against levequest monsters in comparison to normal monsters. Also, while under the effects of Guardian’s Favor, skill will increase even faster. However, considering the effort required, such as traveling time, we feel that more bonuses are required to encourage players to build up their characters by participating in other player’s levequests. For this reason, drastic changes will be made in Beta 3.

There are many other parts where party battle is not well balanced yet and they are the reason why party play is not very active. Therefore, we welcome more feedback on party play.

Behest "Behest" is a new feature that was introduced in the beta test phase. However, it seems like there was not enough explanation on it, so I would like to take this opportunity to explain it a little more.

Basically, Behest is "A levequest where the offer is made by the game system itself." It is designed to offer a variety of missions depending on the number of players in the party and to become a substitute for levequests when no one has any available levequest offers.

If you see the Yellowjacket NPC near Aetheryte and the Aetherial Gate, please speak with them and try out Behest. There are many advantages to tackling this new system! For example, larger amounts of gil can be obtained in comparison to normal battles.

Just like party play, Behest is not quite balanced yet, so please send us your feedback!.

We hope to see the same great level of feedback and support during Beta 2!



This was posted on reddit last night, might explain somethings?

Oh yeah, sorry in advanced mods if you have to remove

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 7:46am by windexy
#13 Jul 29 2010 at 7:10 AM Rating: Decent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
windexy wrote:
Oh yeah, sorry in advanced mods if you have to remove

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 7:46am by windexy


If you think it's objectionable, you could just, you know, not post it. Just sayin'.

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 8:10am by Wint
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#14 Jul 29 2010 at 7:19 AM Rating: Good
**
782 posts
Quote:

If you think it's objectionable, you could just, you know, not post it. Just sayin'.


I don't think it is which is why I posted it. What the mods have going on is another story.
#15 Jul 29 2010 at 8:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
256 posts
Kierk wrote:
Now don't get me wrong, it was fun, just tedious. Though I feel SE will copy more from their own playbook than WoWs. That's why I'm not holding my breath for a 'true' solo experience.


Cant remember which post it was (or who for that matter) but one of the beta testers posted on this forum a little while ago that given info that was put in the most recent (at that time) beta notes that it was becoming appearent that FFXIV was defiantly not going to be a solo preferred type of game. I guess solo'ing is still going to be an option but defiantly not the optimal option. So i guess i agree with you on this point.

And i guess windexy's post pretty much confirms XIV isnt going to be an XI type of grind but is going to be heavily based on guildleves.

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 9:47am by Raionn
____________________________
*Retired :: August 2002 - December 2005*
Raion
Ragnarok Server
Linkshells: DigitalBackSpin, DBSDynamis, CKofVD
PLD75-WAR45-RDM30-BLM30-WHM25-NIN25-THF25-RNG10-BST9
Goldsmith 85, Blacksmith 30
#16 Jul 29 2010 at 8:55 AM Rating: Good
*
87 posts
Raionn wrote:

I guess solo'ing is still going to be an option but defiantly not the optimal option.

And i guess windexy's post pretty much confirms XIV isnt going to be an XI type of grind but is going to be heavily based on guildleves.


This is the way I'd like it. Solo is an option, but the way to go is with a party. Basicly, I'd like to solo on times I'm LFP or I just don't feel social. I'm all about pting like it's 1999, but being it's 2010 I gotta get all flux compacitor on you all.

...

A bolt of lightning!
#17 Jul 29 2010 at 10:35 AM Rating: Good
*
150 posts
SE did add the FoV system in XI to help the solo player get faster xp, yes it was much slower then party play but it was something and they added the level sync system to help ppl group faster.

I'm thinking Guildleve will be a reenvision of the FoV system.

I hope party play is still the best way to get xp, after all I don't play MMO's to play by my self. I love working as a team to chain mobs and max xp per hour, along the way becoming a better player by using your skills in conjunction with others.
____________________________
Windows 7 Ultima
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core 2.50 GHz
Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H
4GBs PC3-10666 DDR3
GeForce GTS 250 512MB
Ultra LSP450 450-Watt PSU

#18 Jul 29 2010 at 10:41 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
Limited soloing with better rewards for partying. Perfect.
#19 Jul 29 2010 at 10:55 AM Rating: Default
*
134 posts
Futzbucket wrote:
The solo factor has become one of the biggest complaints of FFXI, and they're claiming to have solved this issue in FFXIV.

But how?


By making soloing easier, faster, and more rewarding than grouping.

As for guild leves, the combat ones are nothing more than kill 10 rats quests, and they take about 10min to do. Enjoy. You could group up and kill 10 rats if you don't mind getting less xp and rewards.

I'm just speculating of course.
#20 Jul 29 2010 at 11:39 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Futzbucket wrote:
Raionn wrote:

I guess solo'ing is still going to be an option but defiantly not the optimal option.

And i guess windexy's post pretty much confirms XIV isnt going to be an XI type of grind but is going to be heavily based on guildleves.


This is the way I'd like it. Solo is an option, but the way to go is with a party. Basicly, I'd like to solo on times I'm LFP or I just don't feel social. I'm all about pting like it's 1999, but being it's 2010 I gotta get all flux compacitor on you all.

...

A bolt of lightning!


Considering the forum we're on ya gotta go Epoch, not Delorean...
#21 Jul 29 2010 at 11:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
291 posts
I believe Guildleve is the solution for solo-ers in FFXIV. As many people described above, Guildleve maybe very similar to wow's system, which you take a quest from a NPC, then go to a zone, kill a certain number of mobs, or deliver an item to another NPC in different zone, or gather a drop from specific mobs and etc. As I read the FFXIV wiki a while ago, I remembered somewhere in the wiki said that there's a "surprise" element in the guildleve system (not sure if anyone above has mentioned it, I didn't read through every posts). This surprise element works like this: let's say you accepted a quest to kill 3 rabbits, after you killed the 2nd rabbit, and if you couldn't kill the 3rd one fast enough, there maybe a chance that it'll start to run away and run to its friend, and its friend maybe a stronger rabbit, so now you'll have to kill one more rabbit. Things like that MIGHT happen to make your quest not the same as everyone else.

Personally, I like to party, if I can solo everything to level cap, then I don't really need to play an MMO, I can just play an offline RPG. However, looking for party in FFXI is really truthly a pain in the ****. I can't remember how many times have I disband a group after spending 3~4 hours of looking for a tank or healer, PM every possible tanks and healers I see on the search list, refresh the search list every 2 seconds and shout in the town every minute. The worst part of it is that we are NOT the only party looking for a tank or a healer, there're 4 or 5 similar level parties are also looking for one of those. I think it'll be great if the guildleve would give us a chance to party, but instead of we have to have five players in a party, maybe we can 2 or 3 players and form a smaller party to do a 2 or 3 star guildleve. Since almost every DD classes in FFXIV will have some way of restoring HP and most of the DD classes have some tanking abilities, I hope in these small groups, even we don't have an actual main tank or main healer, we may still be able to pull it off with 3 DD classes that can offtank simultaneously and all can heal up himself a little bit. So if we're lucky to get a tank and a healer, then we can do a 4 or 5 star guildleve, but if all we got is 3~5 DD classes, then we can still do the guildleve at 3~4 star.
#22 Jul 29 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
256 posts
Futzbucket wrote:
This is the way I'd like it. Solo is an option, but the way to go is with a party. Basicly, I'd like to solo on times I'm LFP or I just don't feel social. I'm all about pting like it's 1999, but being it's 2010 I gotta get all flux compacitor on you all.

...

A bolt of lightning!


I think all ffxi'ers had thoughts of "if only i could solo while LFP". And I as well picture and hope XIV is the answer to these wishes but in the back of my mind i do have a fear. Although we all wished this in XI, the truth of the matter is that there were "solo" activities that you could do while LFP such as mining, fishing, crafting, etc. but if you wern't in jeuno ready to roll out at a seconds notice, chances of getting a PT were slim (even for a tank like i was). If i was in the mines mining while LFP even with "tele/warp available HP jeuno" in my comment, i rarely found a PT. And im kind of afraid that XIV will be the same. There is a main city such as jeuno where we all wait for PTs. If you arnt in the city, invites are few and far between.

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 2:26pm by Raionn
____________________________
*Retired :: August 2002 - December 2005*
Raion
Ragnarok Server
Linkshells: DigitalBackSpin, DBSDynamis, CKofVD
PLD75-WAR45-RDM30-BLM30-WHM25-NIN25-THF25-RNG10-BST9
Goldsmith 85, Blacksmith 30
#23 Jul 29 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I have to chime in with the "I prefer to party whenever possible, but like that soloing is an option" group. I strongly prefer partying, otherwise I'm not playing an MMORPG, I'm playing a single player RPG with a chat room.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#24 Jul 29 2010 at 2:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
25 posts
dunlag wrote:
However, looking for party in FFXI is really truthly a pain in the ****. I can't remember how many times have I disband a group after spending 3~4 hours of looking for a tank or healer, PM every possible tanks and healers I see on the search list, refresh the search list every 2 seconds and shout in the town every minute. The worst part of it is that we are NOT the only party looking for a tank or a healer, there're 4 or 5 similar level parties are also looking for one of those.


Requiring in particular jobs to party effectively is the main issue with partying. FFXIV needs to provide a balance where parties do not require one job to be successful. The healer is the root cause of the problem. Every other position else can be dealt with by strategy.

FFXVI should allow for a better way to heal in party (i.e. less expensive potions) as well as better ways to defend (Ex. Shield or block command (needs time waits for balancing) instead of random).

Allowing more diverse party setups would make partying much easier and provide a fresh experience for strategizing battles.


Edited, Aug 5th 2010 1:06pm by skluse
____________________________
The thief is sorry he is to be hanged, not that he is a thief.
#25 Jul 29 2010 at 2:23 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
skluse wrote:
dunlag wrote:
However, looking for party in FFXI is really truthly a pain in the ****. I can't remember how many times have I disband a group after spending 3~4 hours of looking for a tank or healer, PM every possible tanks and healers I see on the search list, refresh the search list every 2 seconds and shout in the town every minute. The worst part of it is that we are NOT the only party looking for a tank or a healer, there're 4 or 5 similar level parties are also looking for one of those.


Requiring in particular jobs to party effectively is the main issue with partying. FFXIV needs to provide a balance where the all parties do not require one job to be successful. The healer is the root cause of the problem. Every other position else can be dealt with by strategy.

FFXVI should allow for a better way to heal in party (i.e. less expensive potions) as well as better ways to defend (Ex. Shield or block command (needs time waits for balancing) instead of random).

Allowing more diverse party setups would make partying much easier and provide a fresh experience for strategizing battles.


Well the problem with that is, if you don't NEED a healer (or a tank) then people will replace them with another DD to kill faster, leaving healers (or tanks) without parties because no one needs them. Look at what ToAU did to BLMs; they made mobs that dies so fast that you didn't need a BLM, so it became impossible for BLMs to get parties (except with other BLMs).

I don't care for having to look for a long time to find a healer or a tank but at the same time, I don't want to see someone unable to get a party because they aren't needed.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#26 Jul 29 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Default
*
230 posts
Solo by grabbing quests from crystals and choosing solo for the quest instead of a group.

#27 Jul 29 2010 at 2:25 PM Rating: Default
17 posts
I guess some of this isn't all public knowledge, edited.

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 4:51pm by alucardr
#28 Jul 29 2010 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
alucardr wrote:
BETA info ninja'd by Bludwyng


As instestign as this is.. i hope this isnt stuff under the NDA

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 6:32pm by Bludwyng
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#29 Jul 29 2010 at 2:41 PM Rating: Good
re: soloing in xi from 10-17

Whenever i leveled a job from 1-17ish, i made around 150k. Just from drops from enemies.
I soloed drg and thf in tahrongi and made a killing off of whatever the enemies dropped.
I soloed whm and rdm in, i think, the area after gustaberg. made a ton of money too, but not as much as in tahrongi, so i just levelled other subjobs there. I soloed Sam from 1-18 in sarutabaruta/tahrongi. Each time i made at least 100k.

Like someone said, it let me both level up and farm at the same time. Sure it took me around 3-5 days to level a job from 1-19 if i remember correctly
____________________________
Requested self-ban from admin. Later guys, good luck
#30 Jul 29 2010 at 2:49 PM Rating: Default
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
I'm thinking Guildleve will be a reenvision of the FoV system.


I just hope we can do more than one per game day. You could finish it in 5-10 min and then what... grind for 30-60xp until the next one is ready? That was lame.
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#31 Jul 29 2010 at 2:55 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Puppy1 wrote:
alucardr wrote:
You can solo guildleves, but they have long cooldown timers and most of them aren't yet in the game. You could blow through them pretty quick solo, but you'll be able to share guildleves with other players..so say you run out of guildleves, you can join a party with someone who has one active and receive the xp and reward from his guildleve. They leave the option in to solo, but will be encouraging parties. Other than that there's Behest, which hasn't really been tested much, storyline missions, and straight out grinding mobs. You also get phys level xp contributed not only from war/magic classes, but while gathering and crafting too.


As instestign as this is.. i hope this isnt stuff under the NDA


This is all stuff that's either been shown directly in E3 footage or is so easily deduced from what has been shown that it's basically common sense.

There are other systems in place in beta that provide further options, but those were not shown at E3 or as far as I know any other official source, so they are still covered under the NDA.
#32 Jul 29 2010 at 3:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
291 posts
Mikhalia wrote:

Well the problem with that is, if you don't NEED a healer (or a tank) then people will replace them with another DD to kill faster, leaving healers (or tanks) without parties because no one needs them. Look at what ToAU did to BLMs; they made mobs that dies so fast that you didn't need a BLM, so it became impossible for BLMs to get parties (except with other BLMs).

I don't care for having to look for a long time to find a healer or a tank but at the same time, I don't want to see someone unable to get a party because they aren't needed.


I totally see your point, so that's what I'm -hoping- XIV will have some sort of fix on that. One solution I can think of is the Guildleve system. If they divided each leve in 5 different levels, and level 1 is soloable with ANY classes, level 5 is a group is required, then I hope for level 5, they'll required a traditional group, which contains a tank, healer and DD classes. Then the levels in between, they can be done by grouping with a non-traditional group. Maybe you can finish a level 2 and 3 leve with 2 or 3 DD classes that have abilities to heal themselves in some way and contains some tanking abilities. Then for level 4 leve, you maybe able to do it with 5 or 6 DD classes, but of course the reward will be divided with more people. This way, at least people would have a choice.
#33 Jul 29 2010 at 4:13 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
770 posts
~WARNING BAD PUN~

Solo a reality? naww i prefer having sombody like my gf with me reality is better when you share it with sombody else. Besides...
Reality is mearly an illusion.. just a very persistant one ~Albert Einstein

____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#34 Jul 29 2010 at 6:10 PM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
What Windexy posted seems pretty awesome to me. A whole system where you can solo and get good experience while waiting for a party to get better experience. If I read that correctly. Plus if everyone ran out of leves you could take up a generic leve from NPCs.

I think it's a hellva lot better system than they had in XI. Granted they improved soloing a little, it was still retarded slow IMO. FoV and Campaign offered means of gaining some EXP but, to me at least, it seemed like a giant waste of time compared to partying. I want partying to be the main focus but at the same time I don't want to feel like I wasted my time because I didn't get a party.

As for making a party I'm sure anyone who has played XI knows how that went at times. A system where searching for party members with just the level and job seems limited. I know I've said this a couple of times before but being able to seek on one job(class) while on another, like for instance, running around doing things as a Marauder while seeking on Thaumaturge would be a godsend. I can't count the times where I wanted to farm on Thief while seeking on another low level job.
#35 Jul 29 2010 at 8:54 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
I just hope we can do more than one per game day. You could finish it in 5-10 min and then what... grind for 30-60xp until the next one is ready? That was lame.


I dunno, FoV was a nice bonus but well-balanced. I never found soloing in FFXIV to be a very big deal (at least up to level 47 or whatever it was I got my BLU to) - the little experience boost was nice but it didn't make grinding alone more productive than partying - and frankly - I have to echo other posters when they say that if they wanted to play alone all the time they would just play a single player rpg.

I did make levels though - the difference was I was doing it while farming. I farm leveled myself pretty exclusively on my BLU - There were probably - all told about 10 levels to 47 that I partied and the rest I soloed, or duoed.

People complain a lot about the pace of soloing but I didn't find it so bad. Then again I was always making money while I was doing it. I wouldn't complain if it was made a bit easier - but I don't want soloing to better parties because that will result in the breakdown of the social aspects of FFXIV I liked so much.

That said - what I was doing would have been horrible as a WHM - but that class has no problem finding parties, in general.

It all depends if you are in a rush or not, I guess. I loved fields of valour, however. It was a blessing - especially the refresh buff!
#36 Jul 29 2010 at 11:37 PM Rating: Good
*
126 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
I have to chime in with the "I prefer to party whenever possible, but like that soloing is an option" group. I strongly prefer partying, otherwise I'm not playing an MMORPG, I'm playing a single player RPG with a chat room.


I endorse this message.
____________________________
Carbuncle
75 Pld/Bst
#37 Jul 30 2010 at 12:30 AM Rating: Decent
**
338 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking Guildleve will be a reenvision of the FoV system.


I just hope we can do more than one per game day. You could finish it in 5-10 min and then what... grind for 30-60xp until the next one is ready? That was lame.


This.
Though i must admit with FoV its better as back then with no FoV.

Im really sure that guildleves will be the same "just" that you can do these "killquest" all the time with no cooldown.

And i think thats what SE means with the casual part.
I also would say this will be the only effective "casual" part of the Game.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (13)