Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

So... Where are the male Miqo'te?Follow

#52 Aug 02 2010 at 5:13 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Pinkunderwear wrote:
In FFXI the background of the story supported the reason for why Galkas were the same ***. Something about reincarnation is what i remember. As for as Mithra I'm sure there was one too. Though I don't remember it.


Galkas were asuexual and reincarnated upon death. Mithra males always existed, they were the "stay at home dad" type though; only the females were adventurers.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#53 Aug 02 2010 at 6:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
I know the answer for your question.
they can not think of a total of 8 hairstyles for the Male Miqo'tes yet. they think it's a huge task to accomplish that. so they decide not to add it yet :D


XD That explains it. I should've realized that was the case.

Quote:
Square changed the races' names so they could have a different lore around the races..... So why in the world are miqotes still stigmatized as males being HIGHLY solitary.... Makes very little sense.


Yes, thank you for pointing that out. From what I gather, XIV is supposed to be its own game, its own world, its own lore -- and yet the races seem to have remained more-or-less exactly the same (save for the arguably extraneous "clans" feature, I imagine). And the inclusion of the ridiculous "males are so precious that we must keep them locked away as sexbots" plotline from XI is redundant and by no means a new feature to Final Fantasy Online. Let's mix it up a little, shall we? I'm pretty sure it's neither going to take 6 months to develop nor break the precious mold SE has worked so carefully to create. P-P

Quote:
The only options I can assume at all are: 1: Square is worried with male miqotes being the only new race they'd dominate so many player choices and there'd be a race imballance of way more miqotes than other races (or that with male and female choices it would create an imbalance) or 2: that they are worried about cat-men because of some japanese reason that as an american i have no idea what it is.


I'm pretty sure #1 wouldn't occur as, from what I'm observing, a large percentage of players wouldn't mind having the option but also wouldn't bother playing as one -- this isn't some free-to-play kid-centric MMO that any rig can play; the community is likelier to go with what they want to represent them in the game as opposed to the childish mindset of picking something just because "it's the latest and the greatest -- aesthetically" (if it involved changes to superiority in terms of functionality, then I'm sure there would be a troubling influx of players opting to choose a male miqo'te, but that doesn't appear to be a future issue). I may be speaking solely about the PC community here, though...but I'm hoping the PS3 gamers aren't as bad as those on Xbox Live. As for 2...I really can't say either, but maybe the designers at SE simply prefer their neko strictly female? D':

Quote:
im thinking they might add it on PS3 release


Now if SE had the nerve to make playable male miqo'te PS3-exclusive, THAT would create a huge problem for them. The PC users who wanted to start as a male miqo'te (myself included, obviously) would riot -- and by that I mean make slightly annoying rant posts like mine. :P It wouldn't be pretty.

Quote:
If they look like taller Zidanes, that'd be awesome. I think I'd even play it if they looked like Ronsos, Khimari was a beast and exotic looking. For now though.. Hume it is :/


Zidane Tribal? Hmm... I think a combination of him and Khimari would be PERFECT. Wild and fairly lethal in appearance, but not entirely covered in fur nor absolutely huge in build -- an anthropomorphic tiger like Khimari would be a bit much, methinks.

Quote:
So the "What would it hurt?" argument doesn't work for me because I fail to see how "It's no big deal, it wouldn't kill the game" equals "It should be in the game".


It's not, though. That's part of it -- an argument in favor of the subject at hand, yes -- but (seemingly) a lot of players would be thrilled to have the option of playable male miqo'te. It's not simply, "Yeah, let's have it for the sake of having it. Can't hurt, so might as well!" It's more that a more-than-fair percentage of players would like to see something new such as this implemented into the game, even if it's "just adding a new gender to an existing race" (a big deal to some, either for those who wish to play as the race and/or those who simply want to see more variety in the newest Final Fantasy Online, but ultimately not a huge task for SE to work into the game). It also adds more dimensions to the game as a new feature. Take this for example:

Quote:
I was really pulling for male Miqote, and I'm glad that SE apparently at least made an effort, but ultimately I was just wanting SOMETHING new. Highlanders and clans was not really what would appease me from a character creation standpoint. It'd be nice if they pull a rabbit (or something) out of their hat come release, but I would be pretty surprised if they did


Wanting something new? I couldn't agree more. :)

Quote:
I guess the question is do you want to delay the game for another 6 months just to add male Miqo'te or start playing now and 6 months later they are introduced into the game?


...lol. If it takes SE 6 months to design a male gender of an existing race and figure out how to implement them into the game...then I seriously worry for their development team. I can only imagine how arduous it's going to be for them to finish work on an expansion -- good god, we'll be waiting for years!

Quote:
Really? I heard it was the other way around and they changed a lot of things because everyone thought they knew best, but I was never much into PvP-focused games.


Take it from someone who was there only last month to "test the waters" again; see if the devs worked on the game's many openly criticized faults: Aion is a sinking ship, and almost every passenger is a mutineer.

Quote:
Just because they're releasing their product to us, doesn't mean we should take advantage of them, or expect them to just change something for you! If I took ONE lesson away from FFXI, that would be it. Or just be prepared to wait five years for something to change.


Well, that's disconcerting. I say again: What, then, is the point of us testing their game for them? With that mindset, anything the customers come up with isn't worth listening to, even if the faults they choose to ignore are so painfully obvious. If they're going to stay the same way they did 8 years ago with the release of XI, then I'm not so sure this game will be right for me. Just to reiterate, I'm not complaining that they simply aren't responding to "my" needs, but to block out the public entirely because they think they know best doesn't seem like it'd be the best approach to building an MMO community.
They even admitted to having made their fair share of mistakes in XI -- thinking that what they were implementing was for the best but ended up failing -- and that they're looking at what the XI community had to say about what could have been improved. My point is, I don't believe they're going to be completely stuck in their old ways; at the very least, I hope not. As this is their second MMO (after 8 years of being in the MMO business), I think it's inevitable that they've learned a lot over the past 8 years and will likely look and listen to the XIV community more so than they did with XI. Hopefully that's not being too optimistic. :P

Quote:
Just wanted to add my support for this, since it seems threads on this topic always breed a ton of opposition for God knows what reason. It's not too outlandish to ask for a gender equivalent of an existing race - these aren't playable goblins or moogles people. Besides, they have three Hyur variations and only one Miqo'te? It doesn't even have to be something so drastic as the highlander is from the standard Hyur.


Not too much opposition, per se, just some trolling from the guys who've heard the same song-and-dance so many times they've become annoyed by the whole scenario; others are just arguing that it's not a necessity, which is understandable -- even if I, personally, think you're totally right in stating that we're not asking for much development-wise.
I try not think about how they added such a different design selection for the Hyur and yet didn't bother with adding male miqo'te (or female Roes). >_>

Quote:
We keep hearing about how FFXI != FFXIV, yet we're stuck with the same gender restrictions as FFXI - even after the lore explaining it has been thrown out. Adding male miqo'te would have really helped FFXIV feel like a new game with a new story, regardless of how may people actually wanted to play one. Some of the development time saved by sticking to the old races should have been used to fill out the available genders in my opinion.


Couldn't agree more. Regardless of how big or small the inclusion might be, it certainly would've made the game feel more fresh, as well as add more layers and depth to what is supposed to be an entirely(?)/mostly(?) new setting. They can still be traditional by bringing back updated versions of their past races as they've done thus far, but that's not to say they couldn't change things up a bit if only to fit their claims of XIV being its own game.

Quote:
I really do heavily support the addition of male Miqo'te... I always found it interesting how there actually are male Mithra/Miqo'te in existence but I guess they're so rare that the females of the race refuse to let them go out and adventure and risk their lives. I'd love to play as a male of this race, but after reading this thread and the strong arguments for why it's not a big deal that it's female-only I can deal.


I'm assuming the idea behind the male mithra minority (this lore is supposed to be XI-based, not XIV) is that they hardly ever manage to breed a male, and so those rare infants that are males are sheltered from the outside world and turned into a *** machine. Talk about a **** of a job, eh? Ha...ha...
As for it "not being a big deal", that's debatable in that it's a desired new feature that has so far not been implemented into the game by a development team that argues the key word behind XIV is "character development." Sure, it's not game-breaking, but as this discussion grows, the weight of such a feature, too, grows heavier with each post confirming such. It may not be a big deal to some, but that doesn't mean it isn't to others. Look around, there are a good deal of people arguing the necessity of introducing new features not only in battle mechanics but in design / lore, too.
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#54 Aug 02 2010 at 6:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
I love how there's always been the option for female Trolls and Ogres in EverQuest/EQII but you almost NEVER saw one, like, EVER.


Heh... I can't imagine why. xD

Quote:
Wow

I don't see how how this was even an offensive thread to some people but looks like some undies are getting uncomfortable.

Then I'll speak up and take my 'foot' out of my mouth.

Everyone makes comments on what they would like to see/do in a game. Either items, skills, exc. Don't see how introducing a *** is so taboo.


Yeah...I was a bit unnerved at some of the harsh responses, myself (although perhaps negative feedback was as a result of my somewhat abrasive rant), but it's to be expected -- this is the interwebz, after all. People speak their mind, though, just as I've done here.

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm typically upset about the counter parts of some of the races. Though I was really looking forward to the male miqo'te being introduced. I would have picked it for sure as my main character. SE has done alot to make this game very original and get away from FFXI and the battle systems, personally, other than the races. Reason being because they want the vets to feel welcome and be able to play a character to FFXI likeness, but why not introduce a new character? That isn't basically a human. In FFXI I wasen't upset a bit about the choice of races and *** specifics. In FFXI the background of the story supported the reason for why Galkas were the same ***. Something about reincarnation is what i remember. As for as Mithra I'm sure there was one too. Though I don't remember it. But this not FFXI, I figured this was going to be a completely different game. Why not have the male miqo'te or the female 'galka'? It's just the same characters with different names.


Agreed on all points. :)

Whew. I need a break. (All that replying -- I'm bound to have put my foot in my mouth at least several times. Here's hoping no one notices...)
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#55 Aug 02 2010 at 8:17 PM Rating: Default
*
215 posts
Nonagon wrote:
To make a stronger argument, I suggest you avoid words like "innovation" and "creativity." If you don't, you risk putting your foot in your mouth.

In my opinion, the "innovation" is there. The Miqo'te and the Roegadyn races do not strictly follow the bipedal-humanoid-dexeterous-twoeyes-onemouth-nose paradigm that most other fantasy races follow. They are a single ***; not two sexes. Humans are two sexes, and it's easy to see that the XIV races—and races from hundreds of fantasy games—are based off the model that the human sets. So if you talk about "innovation" it can be used against you.

Similarly, when you discuss "creativity" you're merely trying to make an argument that your creative interpretations are superior to SE's. You say:

Quote:
But what about those who play male characters and don't want to be stuck with the generic human, emo elf, or ridiculously-sized male-only stereotypical Incredible Hulk?

... in an effort to belittle what SE has already designed. Who is to say that those "lithe" cat people you so fondly mention are not the redundant cat-humanoids that how many other fantasy genres have used?

What's creative—to me—is seeing male-*** humans play the female Miqo'te, and the types of decisions they make to be happy with those selections. That's creativity because it serves as a breeding ground for discussion among players as to why some men said "I'm going to be a female character—and it doesn't matter."

Avatars are not meant to BE you. They are meant to represent you. Skin color, sexuality, age, ability, class status, and ideology are already absent from XIV. Why can't gender be as well?

And lastly, if you're still deadset on asking for a male Miqo'te I suggest you make the argument for female Roegardyn. I think it's a bit pompous to assume that there aren't non-"lithe" women out there who'd enjoy the hulking figure the Roegadyn provides.

Edited, Aug 1st 2010 3:01pm by Nonagon



One problem on the 'creativity' idea, in FF14, they exist, but are NPCs. So they don't even have that going for them, at this point its like the 'invisible walls' in games. ya just can't go there.
#56 Aug 03 2010 at 9:40 AM Rating: Decent
1 post
If there is going to be male Miqo'te then it has to be at release?

I seriously don't want to start again for a new race, and if there are going to add new races surely they would understand this as a player?

Also am I wrong for wanting to play a female Miqo'te, I have always liked their animations and stances for various classes in XI and even in XIV from the footage I have seen.
#57 Aug 03 2010 at 11:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
If there is going to be male Miqo'te then it has to be at release?

I seriously don't want to start again for a new race, and if there are going to add new races surely they would understand this as a player?

Also am I wrong for wanting to play a female Miqo'te, I have always liked their animations and stances for various classes in XI and even in XIV from the footage I have seen.

Not necessarily, but it would've been a more-than-welcome addition to what SE claims to be an entirely new game.

It's not a new race; it's a new gender of an existing race. :v

There's no fault in you liking the standard female miqo'te. The point here is that there is fault in not having a male variation of said race.

Edited, Aug 3rd 2010 1:17pm by w34v3r
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#58 Aug 03 2010 at 11:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,046 posts
w34v3r wrote:
Quote:
If there is going to be male Miqo'te then it has to be at release?

I seriously don't want to start again for a new race, and if there are going to add new races surely they would understand this as a player?

Also am I wrong for wanting to play a female Miqo'te, I have always liked their animations and stances for various classes in XI and even in XIV from the footage I have seen.


It's not a new race; it's a new gender of an existing race. :v

Edited, Aug 3rd 2010 1:17pm by w34v3r


Not that it matters too much but it's actually a new *** you are proposing and not a new gender. You can have male Miqo'tes if we were to think about this like we do gender in da' real world
#59 Aug 03 2010 at 12:20 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Leooon wrote:
If there is going to be male Miqo'te then it has to be at release?

I seriously don't want to start again for a new race, and if there are going to add new races surely they would understand this as a player?

Also am I wrong for wanting to play a female Miqo'te, I have always liked their animations and stances for various classes in XI and even in XIV from the footage I have seen.


Yeah, it's one thing in a game where you can only level one class per race, but when one character can level all classes, it's dumb to add new races because then you force the people who want to play those new races to start over from scratch unless you're offering a free race change.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#60 Aug 03 2010 at 12:58 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
nonagon wrote:
And lastly, if you're still deadset on asking for a male Miqo'te I suggest you make the argument for female Roegadyn. I think it's a bit pompous to assume that there aren't non-"lithe" women out there who'd enjoy the hulking figure the Roegadyn provides.


I'm a chick and I am probably going to play Roegadyn, but I don't care that the avatar is a "male."

And since there is no advantage playing one race over another in FFXIV (from what I've heard anyway) - there really is no reason to complain about single *** races. If it really bothers you to use a female avatar - then play a different race.

Personally, it makes no difference to me what *** my avatar is. It isn't as though I'm going to grow a **** because I'm playing a Roegadyn character.

Besides, as a chick in a world where most single player rpgs have male main characters - I'm used to using a male avatar, so why would it bother me now?

I'm just glad we have the choice. If SE restricted people to playing avatars that matched our physical ***, then I could see the grounds for complaint, as it is... well... who cares?
#61 Aug 03 2010 at 1:14 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Olorinus wrote:
I'm a chick and I am probably going to play Roegadyn, but I don't care that the avatar is a "male."


You had mentioned this in IRC and I was gonna ask you to post in this thread for that reason.

Olorinus wrote:
Personally, it makes no difference to me what *** my avatar is. It isn't as though I'm going to grow a **** because I'm playing a Roegadyn character.


Best line ever.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#62 Aug 03 2010 at 1:31 PM Rating: Good
***
3,450 posts
Quote:
SE claims to be an entirely new game

This is the primary point, right here.

When you make an entirely new game, as they claim to have done here, you need to explain things like this.

In FFXI we had one single-*** race (and one no-*** race), but they weren't really single-***, because the male half of the race was kept at home to continue making more of them due to male births being really rare, so only females went out into the world.

But this isn't FFXI is it? It's FFXIV..... so...... where are the male Miqo'te? There's no explanation for the absence of male Miqo'te in the list of selectable races, no indication of why males of this particular race aren't adventuring.

While we're at it: where are the female Roegadyn? Where's the explanation for that one? If a species has one distinct ***, then they have at least one more.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#63 Aug 03 2010 at 3:01 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
393 posts
I am not really up-to-date on all the information, but are male Miqo'tes also very rare in the game? If so, maybe the game developers are just afraid that if they allowed male Miqo'te as a playable race, Eorzea would be overrun by male Miqo'te players. Imagine if a NPC asked you to rescue a male Miqo'te because losing even one would impact the Miqo'te population greatly, yet you see all these male Miqo'tes running around leveling, crafting, etc.

But if they are as common as female Miqo'tes, then it would make more sense to introduce them as playable characters.
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

#64 Aug 03 2010 at 3:20 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,450 posts
uomaru wrote:
I am not really up-to-date on all the information, but are male Miqo'tes also very rare in the game? If so, maybe the game developers are just afraid that if they allowed male Miqo'te as a playable race, Eorzea would be overrun by male Miqo'te players. Imagine if a NPC asked you to rescue a male Miqo'te because losing even one would impact the Miqo'te population greatly, yet you see all these male Miqo'tes running around leveling, crafting, etc.

But if they are as common as female Miqo'tes, then it would make more sense to introduce them as playable characters.


According to the reading I've done, they're walking around all over the place as NPCs
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#65 Aug 03 2010 at 3:45 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Quote:
So I was watching the video that S-E put out last week talking about the different character races and how they motion captured all the animations, including emotes. And I was struck by how "un western" all the movements were. Not necessarily the combat movements, because what do I know about how a european would swing a great axe vs how an asian would, but I mean the actual character emotes. You don't realize how different the small mannerisms are until you really start to think about "oh yea, that asian mo-cap actor really doesn't move like any one I've ever been around, so the emote is going to look really strange."

It's just "one of those things." It doesn't bother me, but I think it might be more interesting if they actually had a burly african or caucasian person doing the emotes for highlanders, for example to create a greater feeling of authenticity. I wonder if any one would actually notice the subtle differences.



Is the Hyur "thumbs up" emote still in the game? Because there's no defending that one...I don't care who you are o.O
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#66 Aug 03 2010 at 4:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
I'm just glad we have the choice. If SE restricted people to playing avatars that matched our physical ***, then I could see the grounds for complaint, as it is... well... who cares?


Looking at the present aspect of male-only and female-only restrictions, the restrictions you mention do apply to the Miqo'te and Roegadyn in that they're restricted to a single ***. We don't have a choice, unless we opt to play with a less preferable race. It's great that you've found your niche in playing male characters, but just because you're satisfied doesn't mean everyone else is. Sure, you can adopt a "Get over it" attitude and mock other players by arguing that "it's not like you're gonna gain or lose a ***** by playing as another ***!" when that's clearly not the point at hand, but it's not like that's going to do much for discussion... /: Still, your choice.

Quote:
According to the reading I've done, they're walking around all over the place as NPCs


...I'm not sure whether to be annoyed and insulted by this fact, or thrilled that it suggests an even likelier chance at playable male miqo'te sometime down the road. At the very least, this means SE has changed the Miqo'te lore so that the males are not solitary homebodies like XI's Mithra. That's a plus. Any images on you? Or is this presently just hearsay?
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#67 Aug 03 2010 at 4:06 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,450 posts
Quote:
...I'm not sure whether to be annoyed and insulted by this fact, or thrilled that it suggests an even likelier chance at playable male miqo'te sometime down the road. At the very least, this means SE has changed the Miqo'te lore so that the males are not solitary homebodies like XI's Mithra. That's a plus. Any images on you? Or is this presently just hearsay?


If I can find the interview I'll link it, pretty sure it was Tanaka-san saying it though

Also I feel I should correct your wording here... they haven't changed anything in the lore of the Miqo'te race, this isn't part of that lore, it was part of the Mithra lore in FFXI, but that's a different game. This is the crux of my argument here, there's no explanation for it AT ALL within the lore of this game and there needs to be if they're going to persist with this course.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#68 Aug 03 2010 at 4:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
If I can find the interview I'll link it, pretty sure it was Tanaka-san saying it though


You're not referring to the interview I listed in my original post, are you? Specifically: -You will see them as an NPC, but it is not a race that you can choose at the beginning. We’ll see how it goes in the future, it might be a possiblity.

Quote:
Also I feel I should correct your wording here... they haven't changed anything in the lore of the Miqo'te race, this isn't part of that lore, it was part of the Mithra lore in FFXI, but that's a different game. This is the crux of my argument here, there's no explanation for it AT ALL within the lore of this game and there needs to be if they're going to persist with this course


Ack! It seems I'm on a roll with the flubs today. -.- I'm completely 100% agreeing with what you're saying. Let me try to elaborate: I meant that they've changed the Miqo'te lore we've thus far assumed in that it's not completely similar to XI's Mithra lore as evidenced by the fact(???) that male miqo'te are very much present in XIV. Does that work better...? At least I have you guys to proofread what I say. xD
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#69 Aug 03 2010 at 4:22 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,450 posts
Quote:
You're not referring to the interview I listed in my original post, are you?

Actually yes, apparently I am, though I thought I'd read or seen it somewhere else too

Quote:
Ack! It seems I'm on a roll with the flubs today. -.- I'm completely 100% agreeing with what you're saying. Let me try to elaborate: I meant that they've changed the Miqo'te lore we've thus far assumed in that it's not completely similar to XI's Mithra lore as evidenced by the fact(???) that male miqo'te are very much present in XIV. Does that work better...? At least I have you guys to proofread what I say. xD

Right, my goal wasn't to necessarily shoot down what you were saying there. My goal was to point out the assumption that people seem to be operating under, that Miqo'te are in any way related to Mithra outside of their appearance (SE claims appearance is the only relationship)
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#70 Aug 03 2010 at 7:06 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
The truth behind Miqo'te
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#71 Aug 03 2010 at 7:09 PM Rating: Good
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Smiley: nod @ Mikhalia.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#72 Aug 03 2010 at 7:10 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
He explained why, real gameplay issues were more important. If you mean story-wise, maybe you'll find those answers in the game itself. If there is a new lore created behind it, I don't think they're obligated to share it with you at this point. If it's the same reasons carried over from XI, then you're right it's not completely new, but...

It's not some conspiracy meant to offend you & slap you in the face. I think some of the earlier, angrier posts touched on that. It's pretty arrogant to think your opinion, your desire to play a male catperson should trump more important game issues that will affect everyone. Somehow them leaving it out is a major insult to you? That's ridiculous to the point that sometimes I can't tell if you guys are serious or jokingly exagerrating. You seem to be serious though.

Now if they come out with an add-on containing a series of quests and stories vividly killing off the remaining male miquo'tes, that'd be an insult.
#73 Aug 03 2010 at 7:44 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts


arg ill have to check this when i get home, link blocked from work.. (If its not work apropriate can you put that in a warning please? lol)
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#74 Aug 03 2010 at 7:45 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Puppy1 wrote:


arg ill have to check this when i get home, link blocked from work.. (If its not work apropriate can you put that in a warning please? lol)


I always put NSFW and the reason (language, nudity, violence) if something is NSFW or potentially NSFW. That link is 100% work safe.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#75 Aug 03 2010 at 7:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Oh, Mik. You and your off-kilter metaphors and humor -- why do I love it so?

Quote:
He explained why, real gameplay issues were more important. If you mean story-wise, maybe you'll find those answers in the game itself. If there is a new lore created behind it, I don't think they're obligated to share it with you at this point. If it's the same reasons carried over from XI, then you're right it's not completely new, but...


Who, Tanaka? Could you post exactly what was said? :v

Quote:
It's not some conspiracy meant to offend you & slap you in the face. I think some of the earlier, angrier posts touched on that. It's pretty arrogant to think your opinion, your desire to play a male catperson should trump more important game issues that will affect everyone. Somehow them leaving it out is a major insult to you? That's ridiculous to the point that sometimes I can't tell if you guys are serious or jokingly exagerrating. You seem to be serious though.


...when did we ever suggest it was some sort of conspiracy? When did we say it was more important than gameplay issues? Re-read, please.

Quote:
Now if they come out with an add-on containing a series of quests and stories vividly killing off the remaining male miquo'tes, that'd be an insult.


Is it bad that, even after all this campaigning, I'd find that scenario absolutely hilarious?
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#76 Aug 03 2010 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Puppy1 wrote:


arg ill have to check this when i get home, link blocked from work.. (If its not work apropriate can you put that in a warning please? lol)


I always put NSFW and the reason (language, nudity, violence) if something is NSFW or potentially NSFW. That link is 100% work safe.


Okay cool, they probably just being picky again. or filter for work related reasons.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#77 Aug 03 2010 at 8:03 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
w34v3r wrote:
Oh, Mik. You and your off-kilter metaphors and humor -- why do I love it so?


Actually it was Wint who found the pic and linked it in IRC.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#78 Aug 03 2010 at 8:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
Actually it was Wint who found the pic and linked it in IRC.


...........

Are you telling me that, after all the time we've spent together, you've just been one big, fat PHONY?!?

:'(
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#79 Aug 03 2010 at 8:30 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Tanaka: Actually all of the design is ready, so we were planning to implement them into the game, however during the development process we had to put priority with what to put into the game

To me that says there were many more important things to worry about. And you repeatedly calling this an insult or that the game is now flawed because of the lack of male miquo'te suggests your opinion should come before those more important things. Unless, like I mentioned, that's your way of mixing humor with seriousness. In which case, my bad for not catching it & getting too serious about it myself.
#80 Aug 03 2010 at 9:10 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
w34v3r wrote:
Quote:
Actually it was Wint who found the pic and linked it in IRC.


...........

Are you telling me that, after all the time we've spent together, you've just been one big, fat PHONY?!?

:'(


>.>
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#81 Aug 04 2010 at 7:54 AM Rating: Good
11 posts
As a female gamer ive chosen to play Miqo'te as i think they are beautifully animated + I like cats hehe :) and im all for male Miqo'te and hope they get implemented sometime in the not too distant future.

But my main sadness is that there are no female Highlanders as i would have loved to play a strapping female human who actually looks like she could comfortably wield a greataxe and lop someones head off.
Alas my only choice in human females is the insipid Midland hyurs who look like a bunch of cheerleaders./sigh
#82 Aug 04 2010 at 7:57 AM Rating: Good
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
w34v3r wrote:
Quote:
Actually it was Wint who found the pic and linked it in IRC.


...........

Are you telling me that, after all the time we've spent together, you've just been one big, fat PHONY?!?

:'(


>.>


Absolutely not, I am RARELY, if ever, funny Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#83 Aug 05 2010 at 1:47 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Hi guys I'm new but I have something to add, sorry to bump this.

Clamoring for male Miqo'te is not a new thing. People have been asking SE for male Mithras for over 6 years. IMO it's not going to change, and the creativity argument is exactly why I wouldn't want it to. It's actually more creative to make a race with only 1 gender, because the norm would be 2 genders. Would be really interesting to have a race with 3 genders, or a race with no legs. All those things are very innovative, having 2 genders... is not.
#84 Aug 05 2010 at 1:59 AM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
Oh come on. It would do alot more good than bad to include Male Miqo'tes. The only reason they haven't implemented them was because they were a little bit behind schedule. Only having 1 gender isn't THAT creative and amazing. :\

So far, the only valid argument I've seen against not having Male Miqo'tes is that they would take up too much time/resources in putting them into the game. If that's SE's only obstacle, I don't see why anyone would think they wouldn't be added later. Especially if they were already working on them.
#85 Aug 08 2010 at 7:42 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
SE make a masculine male character? whoa slow down buddy thats crazy talk. Were not ready to evolve that fast. The display version of a human male looks like justin bieber all grown up. Id go for a highlander but Im assuming MND and INT would be gimped from the get go. SE is good at gimpage if they see you having to much fun. Those **** blm and their mana burn parties are going to ***** up our whole party scheme and bring chaos to our ecosystem, lets go take a **** in their party. Utimatley its SE's game and they will make it how they want and Ill find something that works the way that is fun for me. But I would be warm up to the idea if the actually made a male version. Not the typical JPOP, emo, *** rockin roller look (not that they shouldn't include it, It's just not for me). I want something that resembles more like a lion than a 4chan meme. More than likely I'll go for the conan look packing a 12inch bulge so the mobs know I mean business.

Edited, Aug 8th 2010 10:07am by pgc137

Edited, Aug 8th 2010 10:13am by pgc137
#86 Aug 08 2010 at 8:11 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
MokiSunscar wrote:
Oh come on. It would do alot more good than bad to include Male Miqo'tes. The only reason they haven't implemented them was because they were a little bit behind schedule. Only having 1 gender isn't THAT creative and amazing. :\

So far, the only valid argument I've seen against not having Male Miqo'tes is that they would take up too much time/resources in putting them into the game. If that's SE's only obstacle, I don't see why anyone would think they wouldn't be added later. Especially if they were already working on them.


Here's an even more valid argument against it:

They don't want to.

It is their game after all. If they say the sky should be pink no one can argue against it or say it's "wrong" or "bad" because in the world they created, the sky is pink. They could be added later..as NPCs like it was in XI. It actually is more creative to have a lore around only 1 gender because you have to think about it more carefully than you would a bi gender race. It also proves as someone said that they are concerned with a lot more important things than a male cat because quite frankly it really is the lowest thing they should focus on and be more concerned with gameplay and making sure it doesn't suffer on release. Even in the future they should concern themselves more with keeping the game afloat than appeasing the handful of players who want a male cat and ignoring things the hundred of thousands to millions of other players care for.

Quote:
As a female gamer ive chosen to play Miqo'te as i think they are beautifully animated + I like cats hehe :) and im all for male Miqo'te and hope they get implemented sometime in the not too distant future.

But my main sadness is that there are no female Highlanders as i would have loved to play a strapping female human who actually looks like she could comfortably wield a greataxe and lop someones head off.
Alas my only choice in human females is the insipid Midland hyurs who look like a bunch of cheerleaders./sigh


This isn't a western game, in common eastern fantasy women don't need "bulging biceps" to be able to wield a weapon of any caliber.
____________________________

#87 Aug 08 2010 at 8:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
Clamoring for male Miqo'te is not a new thing. People have been asking SE for male Mithras for over 6 years. IMO it's not going to change, and the creativity argument is exactly why I wouldn't want it to. It's actually more creative to make a race with only 1 gender, because the norm would be 2 genders. Would be really interesting to have a race with 3 genders, or a race with no legs. All those things are very innovative, having 2 genders... is not.


Miqo'te =/= Mithra
(Allegedly) completely different lore behind the two.

Having 1 gender may be considered "creative" in MMOs as a general rule, but in FFO it is not creative in the least; it's a repeat of the last game and an absent [what would be a new] feature in FFO in regards to the cat-humanoid (gotta be specific or the critics here will jump on ya :P). And let's be honest, masking it with "creativity" is just a way to cover up for what it really is: It's restrictive and cuts down on the experience any way you slice it, regardless of "how big a deal" it is (as some may argue).

Quote:
So far, the only valid argument I've seen against not having Male Miqo'tes is that they would take up too much time/resources in putting them into the game. If that's SE's only obstacle, I don't see why anyone would think they wouldn't be added later. Especially if they were already working on them.

Not to mention they've already been implemented into the game as NPCs. The design is there, the race is there -- they just aren't playable for whatever reason.
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#88 Aug 08 2010 at 12:47 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Quote:
As a female gamer ive chosen to play Miqo'te as i think they are beautifully animated + I like cats hehe :) and im all for male Miqo'te and hope they get implemented sometime in the not too distant future.

But my main sadness is that there are no female Highlanders as i would have loved to play a strapping female human who actually looks like she could comfortably wield a greataxe and lop someones head off.
Alas my only choice in human females is the insipid Midland hyurs who look like a bunch of cheerleaders./sigh


This isn't a western game, in common eastern fantasy women don't need "bulging biceps" to be able to wield a weapon of any caliber.


http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=926
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#89 Aug 08 2010 at 2:37 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
575 posts
I don't have a problem with male and female only races. My only gripe is the races are just near-exact rehashes of XI's characters. I still do not understand the motivation to dupe the races from another game, it takes away personality that should belong to XIV.
#90 Aug 08 2010 at 4:59 PM Rating: Good
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
w34v3r wrote:

Putting it aggressively, the absence of male Miqo'te as a playable race is a flagrant insult to [a percentage of] those wanting to play as male characters. I get it: Tons of people -- guys and girls alike -- play as female characters, and so the idea of a female-only cat-human hybrid suits their agenda to a tee. But what about those who play male characters and don't want to be stuck with the generic human, emo elf, or ridiculously-sized male-only stereotypical Incredible Hulk?


Grow up.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#91 Aug 08 2010 at 5:03 PM Rating: Good
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
Coyohma wrote:
The only thing I'm really hoping at this point, regarding race/gender, is if they ever do add an additional option or two, to allow people to transfer to it. Even a few months after starting, I'm not going to want to delete and start over.. If months turns to years, there's no chance whatsoever.


If they won't allow *** marriages in FFXI they certainly aren't going to allow transgender cat people in FFXIV.


They should just say that the Miqo'te are futanari. If they did that I would love SE forever for the freakout it would cause among the insecure/immature people that get disturbed by people playing opposite gender characters.

Just imagine how disturbed they would become if SE accounced that FFXIV would contain hermaphrodite cat people?


And don't try to say they would never do this. Remember Nier and his *scantily clad futanari companion?


Seriously, I want SE to do this.




*FYI it wasn't the demon sharing her body that made her a futa, when you unlock more of the back story it becomes apparent that she was born that way. This is made abundantly clear by the flashback to her childhood



Edited, Aug 8th 2010 8:30pm by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#92 Aug 08 2010 at 5:37 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
Grow up.


You first.
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#93 Aug 08 2010 at 6:02 PM Rating: Excellent
**
421 posts
pgc137 wrote:
Id go for a highlander but Im assuming MND and INT would be gimped from the get go.


You'd be assuming wrong.
#94 Aug 09 2010 at 3:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
33 posts
I just want to know how much longer it would take to add them. If all the work is essentially done, and man power is the only issue...

Also, this is from the FFXIV site under the Roegadyn Sea Wolves race description:
Quote:
The Sea Wolves originally hail from the islands of the far north seas, where they still subsist as fishermen and women.


Just thought that was interesting.

Oh and lolcrizumlol
Quote:
Posting from office, polishing mast.


+1 internets.
#95 Aug 09 2010 at 6:02 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
Verthandy wrote:
I just want to know how much longer it would take to add them. If all the work is essentially done, and man power is the only issue...

Also, this is from the FFXIV site under the Roegadyn Sea Wolves race description:
Quote:
The Sea Wolves originally hail from the islands of the far north seas, where they still subsist as fishermen and women.


Just thought that was interesting.

Oh and lolcrizumlol
Quote:
Posting from office, polishing mast.


+1 internets.


Yep, cuz the Roegadyn aren't Galka, they have females, but won't be playable, and they said they can add Miqote Males as NPCs at anytime. For reference, the male mithra were created many years before WoTG but didn't show up till part way into the Past Windy Nation quest as a key NPC.
____________________________

#96 Aug 09 2010 at 10:03 AM Rating: Decent
40 posts
''To be honest, I'm sick and tired of having to play a hulking man ''

Personally i would really like to play male miqote but in my mind they would be more like a lion with some sort of huge mane and much more bulky than the female. If you dont want to play a hulking man then you should go for a lalafel :)
#97 Aug 09 2010 at 11:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
''To be honest, I'm sick and tired of having to play a hulking man ''

Personally i would really like to play male miqote but in my mind they would be more like a lion with some sort of huge mane and much more bulky than the female. If you dont want to play a hulking man then you should go for a lalafel :)

I doubt it. If Miqo'te resembling Mithra has any significance, the male Miqo'te will likely resemble the one(?) Mithra NPC in XI. You could be right, though -- they might turn the tables upside down and surprise us with a Roegadyn-style Miqo'te, but I doubt it.

Not wanting to play as a hulking man = I want to play as a toddler? Umm, no thanks. :p
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#98 Aug 10 2010 at 8:39 AM Rating: Decent
40 posts
I was thinking more of someting like Kimahri in FFX, but that would be dreaming i guess heheh
#99 Aug 10 2010 at 8:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Where are the male Miqo'te?





in the kithchen where they belong...




no...wait...doh!=P
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)