Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

@GiveawayFollow

#152 Aug 05 2010 at 2:00 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
ShonaSeraph wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
ShonaSeraph wrote:
I wanna change the subject for a second and discuss why I'm so lolfail...

1. I wasn't a tarutaru
2. I don't know how to quote properly. Like seriously, for years and years I've tried to figure it out but I just can't. I've always been too embarassed to ask. Someone please tell me! Thank you!


When you hit "reply" and the post editor opens up, near the top just below "subject" is a "Markup" with a little hyperlink that says (Quote Original)

Alternatively, you can highlight text that you want to quote, copy-paste it into your post, and then use [quote] text you want to quote [/quote]

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 3:54pm by KarlHungis


Sweet, yay thank you. I can play on the cool team now! =D


themoreyouknow

#153 Aug 05 2010 at 2:00 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
ShonaSeraph wrote:
I wanna change the subject for a second and discuss why I'm so lolfail...

1. I wasn't a tarutaru
2. I don't know how to quote properly. Like seriously, for years and years I've tried to figure it out but I just can't. I've always been too embarassed to ask. Someone please tell me! Thank you!


1. Can't help you there. Suicide is your only option.
2. To quote a post directly in its entirety, click "Reply to This" on the post (It's at the top bar of the post)

Quote:
To do this


Just select the text and click the quote button (when posting, it's between color and code, at the top)

Some douchebag wrote:
To do this instead

Instead of {quote} (with [] instead of {}), you do {quote=Some douchebag} (or whatever the person's name is).

"Reply to this" automatically appends their name, but if you break their quote up, you'll have to manually put quote=Name before each section and /quote after (again, in square brackets)

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 4:00pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#154 Aug 05 2010 at 2:00 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
811 posts
I looked at it one time, I was hoping for a lifetime membership option that comes with a free galka slave... but no luck. =(
#155 Aug 05 2010 at 2:07 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
ShonaSeraph wrote:
I looked at it one time, I was hoping for a lifetime membership option that comes with a free galka slave... but no luck. =(


You shall face the wrath of the galka and pay homage to raogrimm the shadowlord...
#156 Aug 05 2010 at 2:07 PM Rating: Decent
17 posts
i agree.. but taking it a step further just because i dont try to show how big my e-***** is by getting a high post count doesnt mean im not here getting info and keeping up with things. im not even entering the contest because im content to wait until the 22nd, i have SC2 to keep me busy. but just because i have a low post number doesnt mean i am not here lurking. i just do not always feel like contributing when honestly im still trying to learn as much as i can about the game. and from what it sounds like most of the people that post are just posting speculation after speculation anyways so even if i did have a high post count, you could auto-credit half of what i have to say about FF14 as BS anyways. im not in the beta, i didnt play ff11, im not a computer geek who can spout off numbers about the latest CPU or graphics card... i have nothing to contribute, so i keep my mouth shut until i do.
#157 Aug 05 2010 at 2:08 PM Rating: Decent
16 posts
Number of post doesnt mean much.. this account i created it like 5-10 years ago, I do read a lot of whats going on here. But being french canadian, my english isnt perfect and it make me shy to get in some conversation.. sometime i feel i am out of subject.. So i think it would be sad to see my chance at the giveaway reduced because of such limitation about the number of posts.
____________________________
Tarutaru dance
#158 Aug 05 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
811 posts
Oh I typo'ed... I meant glaka!
#159 Aug 05 2010 at 2:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
811 posts
HMCorpsman wrote:
i agree.. but taking it a step further just because i dont try to show how big my e-***** is by getting a high post count doesnt mean im not here getting info and keeping up with things. im not even entering the contest because im content to wait until the 22nd, i have SC2 to keep me busy. but just because i have a low post number doesnt mean i am not here lurking. i just do not always feel like contributing when honestly im still trying to learn as much as i can about the game. and from what it sounds like most of the people that post are just posting speculation after speculation anyways so even if i did have a high post count, you could auto-credit half of what i have to say about FF14 as BS anyways. im not in the beta, i didnt play ff11, im not a computer geek who can spout off numbers about the latest CPU or graphics card... i have nothing to contribute, so i keep my mouth shut until i do.


I lurk outside 7-11. I have no money. But I like their ice cream bars, so 7-11 should value me as a human.

Why do you lurk if everything is such pointless speculation?
#160 Aug 05 2010 at 2:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
158 posts
Mikhalia wrote:

So I would have to say that intentions should weigh more heavily than seniority. If anything, I almost wish one of the questions was "Why are you applying to be a beta tester?" and boot anyone who says sh*t like "I wanna play the game early". More quality testers means a higher quality finished product. More people diking around means more bugs for paying customers to deal with at release.


Actually, on the FFXIVCore version of the competition, they ask for 'A short text of why you would like to be in the beta.'. I'd like to think it's to weed out the people we're talking about. I was surprised the same question wasn't included here.

#161 Aug 05 2010 at 2:14 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Tealtraum wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:

So I would have to say that intentions should weigh more heavily than seniority. If anything, I almost wish one of the questions was "Why are you applying to be a beta tester?" and boot anyone who says sh*t like "I wanna play the game early". More quality testers means a higher quality finished product. More people diking around means more bugs for paying customers to deal with at release.


Actually, on the FFXIVCore version of the competition, they ask for 'A short text of why you would like to be in the beta.'. I'd like to think it's to weed out the people we're talking about. I was surprised the same question wasn't included here.



/clap FFXIVCore

I still will stick with Zam, but I'm glad to hear that.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#162 Aug 05 2010 at 2:29 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
HMCorpsman wrote:
i agree.. but taking it a step further just because i dont try to show how big my e-***** is by getting a high post count doesnt mean im not here getting info and keeping up with things. im not even entering the contest because im content to wait until the 22nd, i have SC2 to keep me busy. but just because i have a low post number doesnt mean i am not here lurking. i just do not always feel like contributing when honestly im still trying to learn as much as i can about the game. and from what it sounds like most of the people that post are just posting speculation after speculation anyways so even if i did have a high post count, you could auto-credit half of what i have to say about FF14 as BS anyways. im not in the beta, i didnt play ff11, im not a computer geek who can spout off numbers about the latest CPU or graphics card... i have nothing to contribute, so i keep my mouth shut until i do.


It's not about "e *****" it's about contribution. If you're lurking, then you're not giving anything back. Put it this way: If we all lurked all the time there'd be no reason to lurk at all because there'd be nothing to read. The admins of the site contribute the most of course but after that I'd say it comes down to active posters who are being respectful and constructive in the way they communicate. I come here to be mentally stimulated and entertained by the thoughts and ideas of other posters and to learn new things. If no one ever says any thing then what is there to learn or think about?

There's nothing wrong with lurking but it's passive. You're waiting for other people to entertain or inform you, whereas other people are actually doing the informing or (hopefully) the entertaining. I think the people who are making an active contribution are more important to the community as a whole, though from ZAM's point of view, all eyeballs are probably good eyeballs whether they speak up or not.
#163 Aug 05 2010 at 2:44 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Still none of that should matter in a random giveaway. It's as simple as that. All that elaborate talk about contributing and such is really just a roundabout way of still saying some people are more deserving isn't it?

I'll try my version of a silly food analogy here...
I go to my local mcdonalds everyday to chat with some friends and eat a big mac combo. My friend's invited, but passes by everyday & never comes in. Months later it's Monopoly time and he decides to finally go in & gets that elusive boardwalk piece I've been looking for! Do I hate 'em? Yes. Did he cheat? No. He wasn't less deserving of that prize...

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 4:45pm by TwistedOwl
#164 Aug 05 2010 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Still none of that should matter in a random giveaway. It's as simple as that. All that elaborate talk about contributing and such is really just a roundabout way of still saying some people are more deserving isn't it?

I'll try my version of a silly food analogy here...
I go to my local mcdonalds everyday to chat with some friends and eat a big mac combo. My friend's invited, but passes by everyday & never comes in. Months later it's Monopoly time and he decides to finally go in & gets that elusive boardwalk piece I've been looking for! Do I hate 'em? Yes. Did he cheat? No. He wasn't less deserving of that prize...

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 4:45pm by TwistedOwl


I disagree with you. Guilt his *** into splitting that cash.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#165 Aug 05 2010 at 2:53 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
Still none of that should matter in a random giveaway. It's as simple as that. All that elaborate talk about contributing and such is really just a roundabout way of still saying some people are more deserving isn't it?

I'll try my version of a silly food analogy here...
I go to my local mcdonalds everyday to chat with some friends and eat a big mac combo. My friend's invited, but passes by everyday & never comes in. Months later it's Monopoly time and he decides to finally go in & gets that elusive boardwalk piece I've been looking for! Do I hate 'em? Yes. Did he cheat? No. He wasn't less deserving of that prize...

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 4:45pm by TwistedOwl


I disagree with you. Guilt his *** into splitting that cash.


Haha...to make up for it I'll just sue McDonalds for making me fat because I thought it was health food!
#166 Aug 05 2010 at 3:09 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
I don't want to get into any fairness issues between long time high post members verses new account single posts. As long as they are real people behind those 1 post accounts and they aren't cheating the system by making multiple accounts to increase chances, I think random is fair enough.

That being said, I would think SE would want to give out beta keys to the more vocal members of a gamer forum because it's a debugging beta test, not a "free preview". The people who regularly discuss the game already on an online forum are a **** of a lot more likely to post feedback on their beta forums than someone who just lurks the internet. That's the whole point of a beta, to get feedback from the testers. What good is giving a beta key to someone who only cares about trying out the game to see if they want to buy it or not? Treating it like a contest in the first place is @#%^ing stupid on SE's part in my opinion, unless they don't actually care about good tester feedback.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 4:14pm by Harri
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#167 Aug 05 2010 at 3:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Harri wrote:
I don't want to get into any fairness issues between long time high post members verses new account single posts. As long as they are real people behind those 1 post accounts and they aren't cheating the system by making multiple accounts to increase chances, I think random is fair enough.

That being said, I would think SE would want to give out beta keys to the more vocal members of a gamer forum because it's a debugging beta test, not a "free preview". The people who regularly discuss the game already on an online forum are a **** of a lot more likely to post feedback on their beta forums than someone who just lurks the internet. That's the whole point of a beta, to get feedback from the testers. What good is giving a beta key to someone who only cares about trying out the game to see if they want to buy it or not? Treating it like a contest in the first place is @#%^ing stupid on SE's part in my opinion, unless they don't actually care about good tester feedback.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 4:14pm by Harri


This I dont think Squenix cares about... heck, they gave keys to people who couldnt even run the game... didnt ask for a scan of the systems for most people, so i think its a broad thing they'll pass out, pray that half the people can run the system, and half of THOSE people actually respond to the testing rather than have everyone just come on to play 'early'
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#168 Aug 05 2010 at 3:26 PM Rating: Decent
16 posts
I do think SE want people that will play, though base your giveaway to those who talk more on a forum that isnt set as beta is 1 thing.. I am not posting here, but when i jumped on some others games beta i was one of the top poster.

Giving idea, talking about how to upgrade a system, giving feedback on changes.. Ive been playing MMOs for years, I know what i like and dislike and would gladly give it to SE.

Why im not talking much here.. well even if i brang my opinion about things on the game i am not playing, this have to weight. Its only speculation about what it could be and since i get it from someeone else could be idea its not really accurate.. so its my reason of reading and not posting here, I have no clue since i never tried it myself.
____________________________
Tarutaru dance
#169 Aug 05 2010 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Still none of that should matter in a random giveaway. It's as simple as that. All that elaborate talk about contributing and such is really just a roundabout way of still saying some people are more deserving isn't it?


There's nothing really roundabout it. Some people are more deserving than others. Whether that actually results in any one getting a key over any one else is totally out of our (the community at ZAM) control. All I'm doing is expressing an opinion as food for thought, because in reality I am just waiting to find out every thing I can about this game, whether that's through the NDA being dropped, or getting into beta, or the game being released.

Whether I get a key is not going to effect whether or not I am a part of the community here, and it won't effect whether or not I buy the game. It would just be cool to get into beta ESPECIALLY at the same time as many of the people I've gotten to interact with here on the message boards. I would really enjoy being able to group up with Mikhalia or Eske or Osarian or a lot of people here. There's just some thing cool about getting to know those people that you know from talking ABOUT the game while you're actually IN the game discovering the game for the first time.
#170 Aug 05 2010 at 3:49 PM Rating: Decent
*
126 posts
I laughed pretty good @ this
Quote:
I lurk outside 7-11. I have no money. But I like their ice cream bars, so 7-11 should value me as a human


I'm not a big poster but yeah I've been a lurker for sometime also, especially since ffxi days looking for fishing guides and crafting guides. Just recently I decided to start posting attempting to help out someone looking for pc info.
#171 Aug 05 2010 at 3:50 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
312 posts
Wint wrote:
Have faith. Kao will bring the ban hammer if people are making socks Smiley: thumbsup


Ohh, I don't think the Weaver's Guild will let that go without an appeal!

I'd never heard the term "sock" before outside of the garment; but either way, I hope that the new people that this contest draws in will stay to discuss and contribute. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind forgoing my chance to be in the beta to potentially strengthen the community. Just my two gil, though :)
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#172 Aug 05 2010 at 3:52 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
True, I totally agree that some people may actually be more deserving and would be a lot more useful for testing. I get where you guys are coming from with that. But since the contest is truly open to all & random, more deserving no longer exists. The setup & rules of the contest itself should be questioned(like Harri mentioned) more than lashing out at people who, like any of us would, are taking their chance at a beta key.

That's what I was getting @ in my roundabout way...and I was proud of my mcdonalds analogy.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 5:56pm by TwistedOwl
#173 Aug 05 2010 at 4:02 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
True, I totally agree that some people may actually be more deserving and would be a lot more useful for testing. I get where you guys are coming from with that. But since the contest is truly open to all & random, more deserving no longer exists. The setup & rules of the contest itself should be questioned(like Harri mentioned) more than lashing out at people who, like any of us would, are taking their chance at a beta key.

That's what I was getting @ in my roundabout way...and I was proud of my mcdonalds analogy.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 5:56pm by TwistedOwl


It's all good. Nothing we say here has any effect any way, it's just blowing off steam while we wait to find out what happens next. My sincere hope is that whoever gets in takes maximum advantage of the opportunity, explores the game and gives good feedback. If that happens to be some one with a single post on ZAM then so be it. I would just like it if those people also happened to stick around and provide good feedback to the community as a whole, as well.
#174 Aug 05 2010 at 4:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Count getting close to 2k replies so far....
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#175 Aug 05 2010 at 4:10 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
743 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
True, I totally agree that some people may actually be more deserving and would be a lot more useful for testing. I get where you guys are coming from with that. But since the contest is truly open to all & random, more deserving no longer exists. The setup & rules of the contest itself should be questioned(like Harri mentioned) more than lashing out at people who, like any of us would, are taking their chance at a beta key.

That's what I was getting @ in my roundabout way...and I was proud of my mcdonalds analogy.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 5:56pm by TwistedOwl


Exactly, this is a contest, not a reward. Can you imagine the fallout if Premium members wer given special rewards?
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#176 Aug 05 2010 at 5:19 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
AngusX wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
True, I totally agree that some people may actually be more deserving and would be a lot more useful for testing. I get where you guys are coming from with that. But since the contest is truly open to all & random, more deserving no longer exists. The setup & rules of the contest itself should be questioned(like Harri mentioned) more than lashing out at people who, like any of us would, are taking their chance at a beta key.

That's what I was getting @ in my roundabout way...and I was proud of my mcdonalds analogy.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 5:56pm by TwistedOwl


Exactly, this is a contest, not a reward. Can you imagine the fallout if Premium members wer given special rewards?


Honestly, I think premium members -should- get special rewards, like first access into beta, that sort of thing. What's the fallout going to be; "Why are people who help pay the site's bills getting preferential treatment over people like me who leech bandwidth (and probably adblock everything)"?

Paying customers should always have first dibs at everything. Anyone who has a problem with that should be a paying customer.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#177 Aug 05 2010 at 5:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
I would gladly pickup a prem Zam account if it came with a beta key for FFXIV.
#178 Aug 05 2010 at 10:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Eske wrote:
Kao's turned sock-hunting into a science. I wouldn't sweat that people are trying to cheat the giveaway...they'll be able to sort out the legit posters from the others.


I can check them very quickly, and we do. Consequinces for those making socks are almost as ugly as my spelling ability...

If you see an account you think is particularily suspect, PM me a link, I'll take a look.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#179 Aug 05 2010 at 10:11 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Eske wrote:
Kao's turned sock-hunting into a science. I wouldn't sweat that people are trying to cheat the giveaway...they'll be able to sort out the legit posters from the others.


I can check them very quickly, and we do. Consequinces for those making socks are almost as ugly as my spelling ability...

If you see an account you think is particularily suspect, PM me a link, I'll take a look.


GASP! not as bad as your spelling!! (kidding mines worse)
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#180 Aug 05 2010 at 10:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
315 posts
To say you or any other regular poster here is "more deserving" of a key is ridiculous (sp?), and being a premium member here should get first priority is just stupid. There are possibly thousands of keys being given away and just because you happen to frequent and pay one of the sites that is giving them away doesn't make you special. It doesn't make you a better applicant for beta. It certainly does not mean that you are going to actually provide feedback and don't see it as just a "preview". The brand new accounts should have just as much chance as anyone here new, old, premium or not. The people saying they are more deserving need to step off their pedestal and realize its fair game for everyone. The release is not that far off anyway.
#181 Aug 05 2010 at 10:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
802 posts
Well, guys, All I have to say, is let the selectors do their job.

And may lady/gentlemen/***/*******/futa/whatsoever luck be with you. (>...>)/
____________________________


#182 Aug 05 2010 at 10:51 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
ScaryTrees wrote:
To say you or any other regular poster here is "more deserving" of a key is ridiculous (sp?), and being a premium member here should get first priority is just stupid. There are possibly thousands of keys being given away and just because you happen to frequent and pay one of the sites that is giving them away doesn't make you special. It doesn't make you a better applicant for beta. It certainly does not mean that you are going to actually provide feedback and don't see it as just a "preview". The brand new accounts should have just as much chance as anyone here new, old, premium or not. The people saying they are more deserving need to step off their pedestal and realize its fair game for everyone. The release is not that far off anyway.


I don't really feel the same way, though I'm perfectly happy with the random system that they've implemented. Who is "deserving" is entirely up to those distributing keys. If ZAM were to decide that they wanted to prioritize posters who have contributed more to the community, it would certainly be within their rights to do so. As I see it, there's a legitimate case to be made for both sides, but neither is inherently "right".

It's a commercial enterprise...and our involvement in it is purely as an entertainment luxury. There are no mandates on the ethics of how this process should be handled beyond what the company decides. Fairness has nothing to do with it.

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 12:53am by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#183 Aug 05 2010 at 11:27 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Just quoting this again, in case anyone missed it:

Micajah wrote:
Hey guys and gals - we are working on a way to reward some of the older / active posters and accounts. We can't reveal the details right away, but let's just say you're not going to go unloved. :)

UPDATE: To clarify, people with new AND old accounts are still more than welcome to enter the regular contest. Just wanted to inform you all that we have something in mind for our older / active / regular posters ON TOP OF the current giveaway.


This was back on page 1, posted by an admin. So yeah.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#184 Aug 05 2010 at 11:54 PM Rating: Good
*
239 posts
I kind of feel the opposite of most, the only FAIR thing to do is allow all the fly-by 1 post members (who are not socks) as equal a chance as the long-timers. That is the definition of fair, that no one can gain any advantage over anyone else... At least this got hundreds of people who would never have ever visited a quick visit to the forums. If only a few dozen stay that helps, and that's the real purpose here: community building.

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 1:55am by Tweezle120
#185 Aug 06 2010 at 12:01 AM Rating: Decent
*
112 posts
When Zam received the beta keys to distribute I'm sure there must have been stipulations attached. An admin would be better able to confirm this, or not if it's part of the stipulations.

The bottom line tho really is that this forum has decided to go the random drawing route. I'm sure Squarenix would like things done on a fairness basis, if ppl believe otherwise then they must have their reasons for thinking that.

I think this buisness of who is more deserving is just so sad. I wish everyone could get a beta key, and that we would all play together. The release date is not that far off now. I still wish everyone the best luck, be they premium holders or not.

(BST 75, RDM 75, Blm 75, BRD 75)

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 2:10am by Tolerance4u
____________________________
FFXI (BST 75, RDM 75, BLM 75, BRD 75) (along with many subs and cherished friends)

And on the 7th day God created Miqo'te.
On the 8th day God saw that they were sad and lonely, God then threw down a Squarenix staff member and thus was born the male Miqo'te.
#186 Aug 06 2010 at 12:01 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Tweezle120 wrote:
I kind of feel the opposite of most, the only FAIR thing to do is allow all the fly-by 1 post members (who are not socks) as equal a chance as the long-timers. That is the definition of fair, that no one can gain any advantage over anyone else... At least this got hundreds of people who would never have ever visited a quick visit to the forums. If only a few dozen stay that helps, and that's the real purpose here: community building.

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 1:55am by Tweezle120


On a related note, this does get me sort of excited for how the community is going to swell as the game approaches release. I've been used to the FFXIV forum being relatively empty for a while now...it's neat to think that soon this will be a bustling hub of conversation, akin to what the FFXI board used to be for me.

Server forums, job forums, etc. etc....I'm looking forward to being a part of it all. Heck, I think I make up half the posts in the Lancer forum. It's gonna be fun :D
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#187 Aug 06 2010 at 12:19 AM Rating: Decent
*
112 posts
Quote:
On a related note, this does get me sort of excited for how the community is going to swell as the game approaches release. I've been used to the FFXIV forum being relatively empty for a while now...it's neat to think that soon this will be a bustling hub of conversation, akin to what the FFXI board used to be for me.


Thank You Eske. This has made me feel more welcome as a new poster than any other comment thus far. It is about community and we new posters do have alot to contribute. :)

FFXI (BST 75, RDM 75, BLM 75, BRD 75)
____________________________
FFXI (BST 75, RDM 75, BLM 75, BRD 75) (along with many subs and cherished friends)

And on the 7th day God created Miqo'te.
On the 8th day God saw that they were sad and lonely, God then threw down a Squarenix staff member and thus was born the male Miqo'te.
#188 Aug 06 2010 at 12:28 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Tolerance4u wrote:
Quote:
On a related note, this does get me sort of excited for how the community is going to swell as the game approaches release. I've been used to the FFXIV forum being relatively empty for a while now...it's neat to think that soon this will be a bustling hub of conversation, akin to what the FFXI board used to be for me.


Thank You Eske. This has made me feel more welcome as a new poster than any other comment thus far. It is about community and we new posters do have alot to contribute. :)

FFXI (BST 75, RDM 75, BLM 75, BRD 75)


Hey, no prob. I don't doubt it. There's nothing inherently special about us larger post count folk....we're just louder and more obnoxious : )
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#189 Aug 06 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Just in checking who else has a 'giveaway' for the beta keys and this one site, ya gotta GIVE a beta key to someone instead of signing up for one yourself... kinda funny, keeps people from 1 posting their way to it i guess.

On a side note.. if there's a ton of keys, that would probably mean that SE wants to test out their servers to see if it can hold tons of people, thats probably whats going on, and there's like 100,000 keys or something to giveaway total between all the sites having contests lol (just my opinion)

but heck, if they wanna test the servers, lemme at em, i'll try to overload em

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 12:53pm by Myzldas
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#190 Aug 06 2010 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
247 posts
All websites that are giving away beta keys are doing it for one reason, and one reason only: to add more users.

They WANT 2000 new people to sign up just to enter this contest because the number of active accounts is how they generate advertising revenue. They WANT 2000 new people to join this site in hopes that 5-10% of them will stick around and continue to visit weekly or daily.

These sites don't care that you post, they only care that you visit the page and generate hits for the website. I have a feeling the terms of the beta key giveaway was that it be random for the very fact that SE doesn't want the websites to use these keys as some sort of reward for its members. SE gave them these keys to generate buzz around FFXIV, not to give beta access to people that already know about the game and plan on buying it no matter what.

There is no way they can possibly read thousands of applications to find the best or most deserving, which is why the giveaway is random. The best they can hope to do is somehow filter out duplicate IPs before randomly awarding the keys.

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 1:59pm by Enscheff
#191 Aug 06 2010 at 12:01 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
While bored earlier I was reading through a few of them and saw this...
"A Roegadyn Hellsguard who sets off to Eorzea and lands in Limsa Lominsa in order to train in the arts of the cook and to perfect his 5-alarm Lalafell chili original recipe."

I'd give him a key if I had some to give away...
#192 Aug 06 2010 at 12:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
While bored earlier I was reading through a few of them and saw this...
"A Roegadyn Hellsguard who sets off to Eorzea and lands in Limsa Lominsa in order to train in the arts of the cook and to perfect his 5-alarm Lalafell chili original recipe."

I'd give him a key if I had some to give away...


no doubt i agree... but why are galka always trying to eat taru... cant we all just get along? ; ;

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 2:04pm by Myzldas
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#193 Aug 06 2010 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Myzldas wrote:
no doubt i agree... but why are galka always trying to eat taru... cant we all just get along? ; ;


Heh, not sure where I 1st picked it up, but I played a galka and talked about eating taru quite a bit...i made my npc a lil taru chick and threatened to cook her when she screwed up

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 2:14pm by TwistedOwl
#194 Aug 06 2010 at 12:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Myzldas wrote:
no doubt i agree... but why are galka always trying to eat taru... cant we all just get along? ; ;


Heh, not sure where I 1st picked it up, but I played a galka and talked about eating taru quite a bit...i made my npc a lil taru chick and threatened to cook her when she screwed up

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 2:14pm by TwistedOwl


poor taru always getting eaten and punted....
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#195 Aug 06 2010 at 2:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
On the same day that Pikko made that post, that very same night I literally had a dream that Zam gave out five hundred beta keys (I really did dream this).

















Then I woke up.


____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#196 Aug 06 2010 at 2:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Knowing the kind of luck that i have... there will be 5000 keys given out ..... 5001 people apply... guess who the ONE person who wont get it is....
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#197 Aug 06 2010 at 6:25 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
375 posts
Anyone notice the people who just Cut and pasted the other site contests with one post count.... It's kinda sad when you want something so bad you join every site out there giving stuff away, but forget to read the question each site is asking.
____________________________
FFXIV- Laell Orias Conjurer
Server- Besaid

"But Phillip... he's a girl crab.
#198 Aug 06 2010 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
Quote:
Anyone notice the people who just Cut and pasted the other site contests with one post count.... It's kinda sad when you want something so bad you join every site out there giving stuff away, but forget to read the question each site is asking.


True but they may not even speak English. But one has to ask how hard is it to cut-n-paste the contest's instructions into a translator site.
#199 Aug 06 2010 at 6:37 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Enscheff wrote:
All websites that are giving away beta keys are doing it for one reason, and one reason only: to add more users.

They WANT 2000 new people to sign up just to enter this contest because the number of active accounts is how they generate advertising revenue. They WANT 2000 new people to join this site in hopes that 5-10% of them will stick around and continue to visit weekly or daily.

These sites don't care that you post, they only care that you visit the page and generate hits for the website. I have a feeling the terms of the beta key giveaway was that it be random for the very fact that SE doesn't want the websites to use these keys as some sort of reward for its members. SE gave them these keys to generate buzz around FFXIV, not to give beta access to people that already know about the game and plan on buying it no matter what.

There is no way they can possibly read thousands of applications to find the best or most deserving, which is why the giveaway is random. The best they can hope to do is somehow filter out duplicate IPs before randomly awarding the keys.

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 1:59pm by Enscheff


I'd have to disagree. To get people to come to your site, your site needs content. The forum content is added by active posters. You wouldn't have made this post if this thread didn't exist; I wouldn't be making -this- post if you didn't make yours.

More people posting = more website hits.

Less people posting = less content = people go away.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#200 Aug 06 2010 at 8:27 PM Rating: Excellent
*
239 posts
Awesome Question: Will deleting my post from the contest thread remove me from the drawing? Or have you guys been "caching" the pool as you go sorting for socks? (I landed back on page 19 I think.)

Certain retailers may or may not have had some keys for employees today.
#201 Aug 06 2010 at 9:26 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Tweezle120 wrote:
Awesome Question: Will deleting my post from the contest thread remove me from the drawing? Or have you guys been "caching" the pool as you go sorting for socks? (I landed back on page 19 I think.)

Certain retailers may or may not have had some keys for employees today.


If you just got a beta key from your certain retailer, send Pikko a PM, in case you get picked in the drawing.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)