Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

@GiveawayFollow

#202 Aug 06 2010 at 9:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
764 posts
Quote:
Knowing the kind of luck that i have... there will be 5000 keys given out ..... 5001 people apply... guess who the ONE person who wont get it is...


that can't be true, because then I'd get a key and that never happens. Ever.
____________________________


#203 Aug 06 2010 at 11:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
802 posts
I finally took time to look through all the pages in the giveaway thread.

The number of 1 posters worst then I thought it is (>...<!!!

Some copy paste peeps.

Not many have more then 50 posts. (-_-lll

Sorry to ask this but. Are we attracting the wrong crowd to help build our community?
____________________________


#204 Aug 06 2010 at 11:38 PM Rating: Decent
**
287 posts
I would be happy if we didn't get the people from the WoW forums. I mean I just got back into this community after checking out the XI forums to see what changed so I wouldn't be totally clueless if I resubbed(totally would if I remembered my **** playonline ID). We have people here that are actually helpful if you have a question about something related to gameplay or technical specs. Sure we have our share of pricks and idiots but they're truly a minority (I can be classified as a former if caught on a bad day but those days seem to be a rarity as of late). I hope the community here on the boards transfers over to the game.
____________________________
Guns dont kill people. Rangers and Hunters with guns kill people.
Jefro420 wrote:
I won't be checking anyone in the BC ward that doesn't have star over their head from now on.





#205 Aug 07 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Quote:
Sorry to ask this but. Are we attracting the wrong crowd to help build our community?


As long as we dont get anyone from the APB forums.. those fanboy trolls are horrible, anytime ANYONE posts something on there, they intentionally derail it or resort to name calling or momma jokes or general stupidity.
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#206 Aug 07 2010 at 11:10 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Myzldas wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to ask this but. Are we attracting the wrong crowd to help build our community?


As long as we dont get anyone from the APB forums.. those fanboy trolls are horrible, anytime ANYONE posts something on there, they intentionally derail it or resort to name calling or momma jokes or general stupidity.


APB forums? Never heard of it.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#207 Aug 07 2010 at 11:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Myzldas wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to ask this but. Are we attracting the wrong crowd to help build our community?


As long as we dont get anyone from the APB forums.. those fanboy trolls are horrible, anytime ANYONE posts something on there, they intentionally derail it or resort to name calling or momma jokes or general stupidity.


APB forums? Never heard of it.


APB = All Points Bulliten, its a new GTA style mmo that is a massive failure and it just came out lol
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#208 Aug 07 2010 at 11:15 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Myzldas wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
Myzldas wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to ask this but. Are we attracting the wrong crowd to help build our community?


As long as we dont get anyone from the APB forums.. those fanboy trolls are horrible, anytime ANYONE posts something on there, they intentionally derail it or resort to name calling or momma jokes or general stupidity.


APB forums? Never heard of it.


APB = All Points Bulliten, its a new GTA style mmo that is a massive failure and it just came out lol


Much as I love GTA games, I could see an MMOG community for a game like that filled with a bunch of douchebags.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#209 Aug 07 2010 at 11:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Quote:
Much as I love GTA games, I could see an MMOG community for a game like that filled with a bunch of douchebags.


and... you would be correct lol
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#210 Aug 07 2010 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Myzldas wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to ask this but. Are we attracting the wrong crowd to help build our community?


As long as we dont get anyone from the APB forums.. those fanboy trolls are horrible, anytime ANYONE posts something on there, they intentionally derail it or resort to name calling or momma jokes or general stupidity.


Yo momma is so fat, she gets the party penalty reduction to exp while playing solo.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#211 Aug 07 2010 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
RedGalka wrote:
Yo momma is so fat, she gets the party penalty reduction to exp while playing solo.


Hahaha, I nearly choked on my mcdouble reading that...

Edit
**** Rubina those are hilarious...my favorite's gotta be the 2hr though...

Edited, Aug 7th 2010 2:42pm by TwistedOwl
#212 Aug 07 2010 at 12:37 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
Wow who would have thought that such a thread actually existed....

Quote:
Your Momma is so fat, I did an /sea all 'Your Mom' and the list was truncated.

Your momma is so fat, shes her own Conquest Region.

Your momma is so fat, it takes three PLD to Cover her.

Your momma is so fat, it takes a whole party of BLM to Warp2 her.

Your momma is so fat, when invisible is cast on her only her toes vanish.

Your momma is so fat, when she levels her PLD, it takes 3 THF to SATA her.

Your momma is so fat, mobs kite her.

Your momma is so fat, her 2hr is "Walk".

Your momma is so fat, even perfect dodge has no effect on her.

Yo mama's so fat, she can have 3 food effects up at one time.

Your momma's so fat, she needs two homepoints.
#213 Aug 07 2010 at 12:52 PM Rating: Decent
Quote:
1 post posters


I have been coming here for years (allakhazam) and especially during my 3 year stint in FFXI. I actually had another user account with a decent amount of posts but decided on a new account since I no longer have access to it (forgot the login and changed e-mails). Also, my old account was based on my FFXI character's name which I will be changing in XIV anyway.

Even though I only had one post (two now .. WEE!), I frequent this site multiple times per day and browse the forums constantly. I have already pre-ordered two copies of the collector's edition (one for me and one for the wife) and own every other FF game not to mention a plethora of other square titles. I'm just as much a fan of this game as any one else in this forum, regardless of my post count.
#214 Aug 07 2010 at 11:22 PM Rating: Good
*
239 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
2) I disagree on this point. Just because it's a public giveaway shouldn't mean that anyone can walk off the street, win, and leave. Consider a group's raffle, like a church social or an IOOF raffle or some other fraternity group raffle. If people want to JOIN your group, then of course they're welcome. but if someone is just coming in to buy a ticket stub to try to win something and leave... Well, that's another matter.

3) Agree on being anti-sock and that socks should disqualify you from winning. Agree to disagree on the notion that people who make one post and will check back to see if they've won on the 11th should even have a fair chance. The contest rules disagree with me, but that's my opinion.

And no, I'm certainly not going to rate you down for disagreeing with me. It's a forum, you're allowed to do that :) The only people I like to rate down are the people who spout off crap with no supporting belief or fact to support it.

A) "I think FFXIV should be pushed back till they can release both at the same time, because that way everyone would have an equal footing on day one, instead of being unfair to the PS3 users."

Disagree, but not going to rate that down; it's a valid point with a reason.

b) "pc sux and u should hav 2 wait till ps3 b4 u can play"

Still disagree, but rate down because it's unintelligible, has no supporting reasons, and is just flamebait.

People need to start using the rating system based on the quality of posts and not as a like/dislike system. This isn't Facebook.

But I digress...


I disagree on the point of church raffles; because if you still pay for your ticket the church still gets what it's holding the raffle for: fund-raising. They WANT to sell a bunch of tickets to ANYONE. Same thing here, only the "price" is visiting the site; not everyone will stay, but we've likely had thousands more set of eyes exposed here this week because of it, and even just 100 new members would be fantastic! I'm sure the loyal church goers are bummed their chances of winning are watered down by the contest being less exclusive; but from a selfless point it is important to be happy for others (happy for the church for making money) instead of only being happy for others when it also benefits you. (would you be happy for a friend hitting the lottery if you knew you wouldn't get a cent?)

I do agree 110% on your comments about rate-ups and rate downs! I'll generally rate up anything halfway well spoken that adds something new to the forums or expresses a thought-out and genuine opinion while rating down anything that is hateful, ESPECIALLY if it is negative and written to illicit a negative emotional response. (Trolling)
#215 Aug 07 2010 at 11:33 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Tweezle120 wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
2) I disagree on this point. Just because it's a public giveaway shouldn't mean that anyone can walk off the street, win, and leave. Consider a group's raffle, like a church social or an IOOF raffle or some other fraternity group raffle. If people want to JOIN your group, then of course they're welcome. but if someone is just coming in to buy a ticket stub to try to win something and leave... Well, that's another matter.

3) Agree on being anti-sock and that socks should disqualify you from winning. Agree to disagree on the notion that people who make one post and will check back to see if they've won on the 11th should even have a fair chance. The contest rules disagree with me, but that's my opinion.

And no, I'm certainly not going to rate you down for disagreeing with me. It's a forum, you're allowed to do that :) The only people I like to rate down are the people who spout off crap with no supporting belief or fact to support it.

A) "I think FFXIV should be pushed back till they can release both at the same time, because that way everyone would have an equal footing on day one, instead of being unfair to the PS3 users."

Disagree, but not going to rate that down; it's a valid point with a reason.

b) "pc sux and u should hav 2 wait till ps3 b4 u can play"

Still disagree, but rate down because it's unintelligible, has no supporting reasons, and is just flamebait.

People need to start using the rating system based on the quality of posts and not as a like/dislike system. This isn't Facebook.

But I digress...


I disagree on the point of church raffles; because if you still pay for your ticket the church still gets what it's holding the raffle for: fund-raising. They WANT to sell a bunch of tickets to ANYONE. Same thing here, only the "price" is visiting the site; not everyone will stay, but we've likely had thousands more set of eyes exposed here this week because of it, and even just 100 new members would be fantastic! I'm sure the loyal church goers are bummed their chances of winning are watered down by the contest being less exclusive; but from a selfless point it is important to be happy for others (happy for the church for making money) instead of only being happy for others when it also benefits you. (would you be happy for a friend hitting the lottery if you knew you wouldn't get a cent?)

I do agree 110% on your comments about rate-ups and rate downs! I'll generally rate up anything halfway well spoken that adds something new to the forums or expresses a thought-out and genuine opinion while rating down anything that is hateful, ESPECIALLY if it is negative and written to illicit a negative emotional response. (Trolling)


You bring up a point of being happy for others and I'd have to say that it's relative. How happy I am for someone else is proportionate to how well/how long I've known them. I'd be a lot happier for a frequent poster than I would for a one post wonder. It's not an issue of not being able to be happy for others; I'd just rather see people I know get things because then you get to share in their enjoyment.

e.g.: If you had a baby, I'd be happy for you, sure. But my sister just had her first baby four days ago and I'm thrilled for her. Certainly I'll be happier for her having a baby than you because I know her and I'm going to get to watch the baby grow up. Which is not to say that I wouldn't be happy for you or anyone else, but seeing as how I don't know you and will likely never meet your child, the maximum amount of happy I can provide is limited.

Same goes for this, it's not a matter of sefishness per se as it's not a matter of me wanting a key for me; it's a matter of me wanting people to get keys to be people who will stick around, that way when the NDA is lifted, we have more people talking about what was/is going on in the beta. Every key that goes to someone who won't be sticking around is someone who will not be posting about their experiences after the NDA is lifted.

So without respect to myself, obviously I'll be happier to see them go to people who will still be here when the NDA is gone.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#216 Aug 08 2010 at 12:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
60 posts
i know some will be upset if a person with less posts gets this over the 5k poster but lets be real how many of the 5k post are about trashing someone that made a post. what over 1/2. if there was something based on amount of posts it would have been placed in the rules with what they wanted posted.

to me i see this as a great way to up the advertisement that SE is not doing in NA. this way we have a large turn out for opening day. as all new games the losers will be weeded out over time. and then you do get some to stay remember "enter name here" every server has 1-2 like this from all games.

I've had my account here for over 5 years now and posts not even over 50. i don't add if i read and not worth adding just to flame someone or if the info i think is right is already there. i don't see the big deal if i get a pass great i want to help with what i can find. if i don't its only 45days and ill play my CE anyway. people need to relax and let the admin at zam do their thing.
#217 Aug 08 2010 at 1:06 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
foxbrigs wrote:
i know some will be upset if a person with less posts gets this over the 5k poster but lets be real how many of the 5k post are about trashing someone that made a post. what over 1/2. if there was something based on amount of posts it would have been placed in the rules with what they wanted posted.


I don't get what you're trying to say exactly. I can't think of anyone currently posting on XIV main with over 5K posts (or even over 1K) that are known for trashing others unfairly or in situations where it is unwarranted. Could you provide some examples of what you mean, since you are saying that over 1/2 of people over 5k on this forum do this?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#218 Aug 08 2010 at 2:23 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,082 posts
The 4th was my birthday, and admittedly I haven't been following XIV much the past few weeks since I missed out on the second beta wave. Call it selective restraint to not tease myself. Anyway, wish I'd noticed sooner, but I guess I can be glad things are still open until the 11th and that there's apparently bonus plans in the works for long-time posters. Fingers crossed. :s
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#219 Aug 08 2010 at 8:04 AM Rating: Excellent
*
239 posts
Mikhalia wrote:

You bring up a point of being happy for others and I'd have to say that it's relative. How happy I am for someone else is proportionate to how well/how long I've known them. I'd be a lot happier for a frequent poster than I would for a one post wonder. It's not an issue of not being able to be happy for others; I'd just rather see people I know get things because then you get to share in their enjoyment.

e.g.: If you had a baby, I'd be happy for you, sure. But my sister just had her first baby four days ago and I'm thrilled for her. Certainly I'll be happier for her having a baby than you because I know her and I'm going to get to watch the baby grow up. Which is not to say that I wouldn't be happy for you or anyone else, but seeing as how I don't know you and will likely never meet your child, the maximum amount of happy I can provide is limited.

Same goes for this, it's not a matter of sefishness per se as it's not a matter of me wanting a key for me; it's a matter of me wanting people to get keys to be people who will stick around, that way when the NDA is lifted, we have more people talking about what was/is going on in the beta. Every key that goes to someone who won't be sticking around is someone who will not be posting about their experiences after the NDA is lifted.

So without respect to myself, obviously I'll be happier to see them go to people who will still be here when the NDA is gone.


Ah sorry, I was not as clear in the metaphor as I wished; in this case it's not that you should be happy for the people winning the keys at your expense of not getting one; It's that we should be happy for ZAM getting all this new traffic at the expense of watering down our chances to win! In this perspective can you be happy for Zam despite the fact you "lose out?" I found thinking of it this way "lessened the blow."
#220 Aug 08 2010 at 8:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
It's like baking a pie and the neighbours suddenly coming over to say "hello", but mostly just wanting to get a piece of it. One person would be overjoyed by such an increase of social popularity, while another could think "F*ck off, it's my pie." .
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#221 Aug 08 2010 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
Quote:
It's like baking a pie and the neighbours suddenly coming over to say "hello", but mostly just wanting to get a piece of it. One person would be overjoyed by such an increase of social popularity, while another could think "F*ck off, it's my pie." .


Probably a more accurate picture would be the neighbors saw a tractor trailer pulling up to your house and started to unload 200-5000 pizza pies. Block party anyone?
#222 Aug 08 2010 at 12:39 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Tweezle120 wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:

You bring up a point of being happy for others and I'd have to say that it's relative. How happy I am for someone else is proportionate to how well/how long I've known them. I'd be a lot happier for a frequent poster than I would for a one post wonder. It's not an issue of not being able to be happy for others; I'd just rather see people I know get things because then you get to share in their enjoyment.

e.g.: If you had a baby, I'd be happy for you, sure. But my sister just had her first baby four days ago and I'm thrilled for her. Certainly I'll be happier for her having a baby than you because I know her and I'm going to get to watch the baby grow up. Which is not to say that I wouldn't be happy for you or anyone else, but seeing as how I don't know you and will likely never meet your child, the maximum amount of happy I can provide is limited.

Same goes for this, it's not a matter of sefishness per se as it's not a matter of me wanting a key for me; it's a matter of me wanting people to get keys to be people who will stick around, that way when the NDA is lifted, we have more people talking about what was/is going on in the beta. Every key that goes to someone who won't be sticking around is someone who will not be posting about their experiences after the NDA is lifted.

So without respect to myself, obviously I'll be happier to see them go to people who will still be here when the NDA is gone.


Ah sorry, I was not as clear in the metaphor as I wished; in this case it's not that you should be happy for the people winning the keys at your expense of not getting one; It's that we should be happy for ZAM getting all this new traffic at the expense of watering down our chances to win! In this perspective can you be happy for Zam despite the fact you "lose out?" I found thinking of it this way "lessened the blow."


If the new people were planning to stick around, sure. I still stand behind my statement that even if someone just joined for the contest, if they're planning on sticking around, then I hold no ill will against them.

If, however, they aren't coming back, then I won't lose any tears if they don't get a beta key.

RedGalka wrote:
"F*ck off, it's my pie." .


I don't know why that made me laugh as hard as it did.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#223 Aug 08 2010 at 2:20 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
36 posts
Quote:
Not many have more then 50 posts. (-_-lll


I'm not entirely sure how that is relevant. 50 seems to be completely arbitrary. Why not 20? Or 30? Since the main complaint is people making an account solely for the contest, your comment about the people who have 1 post would be sufficient to make your point. I'm not sure what you are trying to imply with this statement.
____________________________
Habien 72SAM/36WAR
Fenrir
72SAM/68PLD/50DRK/40NIN/37WAR/37DNC/25THF
#224 Aug 08 2010 at 3:55 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Clearly the contest should only be open to people with over 7,500 posts.







...what?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#225 Aug 08 2010 at 4:24 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
36 posts
Quote:
Clearly the contest should only be open to people with over 7,500 posts.







...what?


Heh, your number is less arbitrary, but I think there is a lot more bias in it :P
____________________________
Habien 72SAM/36WAR
Fenrir
72SAM/68PLD/50DRK/40NIN/37WAR/37DNC/25THF
#226 Aug 08 2010 at 4:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
175 posts
Wow there's a lot of hate in this thread for people who only just heard of this site. How exactly is that my fault? How does having a high post count make you more deserving of a contest give away then someone else?

That's comparable to city officials walking into a community event and declaring they have rights to all contests above all others. What a great way to look mature and respectable.

I completely agree with people who make additional accounts to increase their odds, that is of course pathetic. but its not my fault I work all day long and don't have the time to be part of every FF forum ever, and keep a great post average. Sheesh.
____________________________
FFXI:(Remora -> Leviathan -> Shiva) WHM, BLM, RDM, THF, SAM, DNC
FFXIV: (Rabanastre) Working on: CON ~ LNC





#227 Aug 08 2010 at 6:29 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
drkmod wrote:
Wow there's a lot of hate in this thread for people who only just heard of this site. How exactly is that my fault? How does having a high post count make you more deserving of a contest give away then someone else?

That's comparable to city officials walking into a community event and declaring they have rights to all contests above all others. What a great way to look mature and respectable.

I completely agree with people who make additional accounts to increase their odds, that is of course pathetic. but its not my fault I work all day long and don't have the time to be part of every FF forum ever, and keep a great post average. Sheesh.


Merely the fact that you have enough of an opinion to make a post about why you aren't less deserving is enough of a reason to not disqualify you.

Most of the disdain is aimed at people who are one post wonders who haven't been back to this site and never will come back; people who made an account, entered the giveaway, and never plan to return.

Honestly, I think a 3 post minimum isn't unreasonable. 1 post in the giveaway and then you contributed two more times, even if just to quote my post and say "Yeah, I agree".
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#228 Aug 08 2010 at 7:40 PM Rating: Decent
15 posts
drkmod wrote:
Wow there's a lot of hate in this thread for people who only just heard of this site. How exactly is that my fault? How does having a high post count make you more deserving of a contest give away then someone else?

That's comparable to city officials walking into a community event and declaring they have rights to all contests above all others. What a great way to look mature and respectable.

I completely agree with people who make additional accounts to increase their odds, that is of course pathetic. but its not my fault I work all day long and don't have the time to be part of every FF forum ever, and keep a great post average. Sheesh.


I agree with this I just found this place from looking around and have learnd alot from this place and will be staying in my lurking cave till FFXIV dies most likely.

I only Believe In posting things that may help the thread aswell so i dont post much :P
#229 Aug 08 2010 at 7:44 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,082 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
Clearly the contest should only be open to people with over 7,500 posts.

...what?


*low-five?*
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#230 Aug 08 2010 at 8:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
175 posts
Well, I'm glad you're on my side on that one. Seems pretty alienative (not a word but you get the point) to shun newcomers who are highly interested in a beta contest. I can understand the side of things, and why people are mad. I'd be mad as **** if some, people seem to call them socks here, got the winning ticket. It's a beta. It's meant to be a testing phase to further polish the end-product. Not something to turn around and sell on Ebay, that kind of stuff makes me sick.

But, what are ya gunna do I guess :/

-- Edit: All I can hope for is the ZAM Staff has a way to detect duplicate IP submissions. Though, if someone went as far as scrambling their ip, making a new account and entering multiple times, then all I can home for is lady karma bites them in the *** with a BSOD on september 22nd or the 30th :)

Edited, Aug 8th 2010 10:11pm by drkmod
____________________________
FFXI:(Remora -> Leviathan -> Shiva) WHM, BLM, RDM, THF, SAM, DNC
FFXIV: (Rabanastre) Working on: CON ~ LNC





#231 Aug 08 2010 at 9:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
802 posts
Habien wrote:
Quote:
Not many have more then 50 posts. (-_-lll


I'm not entirely sure how that is relevant. 50 seems to be completely arbitrary. Why not 20? Or 30? Since the main complaint is people making an account solely for the contest, your comment about the people who have 1 post would be sufficient to make your point. I'm not sure what you are trying to imply with this statement.


Hint:
Click on user name. Check number of posts made. Look at date and time between the last post and the beta post.

Shouldn't use the 50 post thingy (-_-lll Maybe it would be better to phrase it like "Just appear for the beta post , after disappearing for a longtime, then disappeared again."

____________________________


#232 Aug 08 2010 at 11:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
66 posts
IMO, it does look bad that all the "1 Post" entries for the Beta Giveaway thread. Personally, I only have a few posts on these forums and would be surprised if I get a beta invite key. I do understand the backlash many 1 posters are getting for the simple fact that they are 1 posters. For those that have recently found this site and continually post, welcome to the community.

Hopefully, the admins will have a system in placed to filter out those who have posted just for beta keys and those individuals who actually are part of the community.
____________________________
Phoenix Server, Final Fantasy XI (Retired)
Etoh 75 Warrior, 75 White Mage, 75 Black Mage, 75 Summoner
37 Ninja, 37 Red Mage, 37 Samurai, 37 Thief, 37 Monk, 37 Blue Mage, 37 Dark Knight

Volkmar Server, Warhammer: Age of Reckoning (Retired)
Diabolos Nox R40/RR80 Sorcerer
Greasuss R40/RR68 Choppa
Rhra R40/RR63 Zealot
#233 Aug 09 2010 at 12:54 AM Rating: Default
16 posts
i think what they try to say is welcome to Zam but dont touch my pie.

I feel concerned.. even if my account is prolly older than some high count posters..

Edited, Aug 9th 2010 2:54am by Toutnue

Edited, Aug 9th 2010 3:15am by Toutnue
____________________________
Tarutaru dance
#234 Aug 09 2010 at 1:18 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
66 posts
I would hope all the 1 posters will become part of the community after the beta keys have been given away. But I do understand what many of the high post count folks have been concerned about.

Maybe the best way for the admins to filter out those that are looking for beta keys and could care less about the community. To those who have been here for awhile. The admins can give premium members priority first. As you can see, I am not a premium member and just trying to figure out a way to be fair to the general community as a whole.
____________________________
Phoenix Server, Final Fantasy XI (Retired)
Etoh 75 Warrior, 75 White Mage, 75 Black Mage, 75 Summoner
37 Ninja, 37 Red Mage, 37 Samurai, 37 Thief, 37 Monk, 37 Blue Mage, 37 Dark Knight

Volkmar Server, Warhammer: Age of Reckoning (Retired)
Diabolos Nox R40/RR80 Sorcerer
Greasuss R40/RR68 Choppa
Rhra R40/RR63 Zealot
#235 Aug 09 2010 at 3:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
33 posts
Quote:
Quote:
1 post posters


I have been coming here for years (allakhazam) and especially during my 3 year stint in FFXI. I actually had another user account with a decent amount of posts but decided on a new account since I no longer have access to it (forgot the login and changed e-mails). Also, my old account was based on my FFXI character's name which I will be changing in XIV anyway.

Even though I only had one post (two now .. WEE!), I frequent this site multiple times per day and browse the forums constantly. I have already pre-ordered two copies of the collector's edition (one for me and one for the wife) and own every other FF game not to mention a plethora of other square titles. I'm just as much a fan of this game as any one else in this forum, regardless of my post count.


I'm in the same boat. Long time lurker that posted occasionally (can't remember password for the life of me and changed e-mail address ;;). I played XI from NA release until January of this year and Zam has always been my main source of FFXI related info (and now for FFXIV!). Cheers for 2 posts.
#236 Aug 09 2010 at 3:40 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
The WoW community had almost an identical debate back when our giveaway was going on, and the consensus over there was to set aside a certain number of keys (we said 5-10, and there were 50 total to give away) and reserve those for long-time posters. But rather than have the admins choose these posters, set up a poll within the forums and have users nominate and vote on who they think deserves the keys. In this way we get rid of accusations of admin bias, but still manage to ensure that some of our better posters receive beta access. Obviously ZAM didn't implement that for this giveaway, not that I would've expected them to with only a week between contests, if that. Still, I hope it's something they'll consider if they do this sort of thing in the future.

Now, from ZAM's perspective, I doubt they care whether this drawing is random or not. As far as WoW's went, there were some good points made about long-time members starting threads that would draw in new people; but since FFXIV's beta is still under NDA, there wouldn't be any such advantage here, so there's no reason to change it up. I'm sure individual admins (especially Pikko, who's been with us forever) would love to see older members get keys just because they care about the community, but as a corporation, it's all the same to ZAM.
#237 Aug 09 2010 at 2:10 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,178 posts
Neat idea. Put aside a few of the beta keys to give away to a forum-based contribution poll. I can see a couple of problems with that, but you really can't make everyone happy and it does sound fun.

The ZAM Popularity Contest! Winner gets a Beta key. Sounds like uber drama - let's do it!
#238 Aug 09 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Seriha wrote:
The 4th was my birthday, and admittedly I haven't been following XIV much the past few weeks since I missed out on the second beta wave. Call it selective restraint to not tease myself. Anyway, wish I'd noticed sooner, but I guess I can be glad things are still open until the 11th and that there's apparently bonus plans in the works for long-time posters. Fingers crossed. :s


Happy B-day Smiley: grin And good luck (to everyone) in getting Beta.
#239 Aug 09 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
Neat idea. Put aside a few of the beta keys to give away to a forum-based contribution poll. I can see a couple of problems with that, but you really can't make everyone happy and it does sound fun.

The ZAM Popularity Contest! Winner gets a Beta key. Sounds like uber drama - let's do it!


We had that, it was called Player of the Month on XI main. And it was fine until people whined about it.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#240 Aug 09 2010 at 2:33 PM Rating: Decent
*
126 posts
How about a FFXIV picture of the month? I'm sure there is going to be some great pictures with graphics cranked up. I plan on getting some sweet 5760x1080 pics for my backrounds in windows. ;p
#241 Aug 09 2010 at 3:06 PM Rating: Excellent
*
239 posts
I support a 100% fair contest, which means I also support allowing 1 posters to win. EVEN the one posters who aren't coming back, that's the nature of a fair pubic raffle. What counts is the exposure generated for the site. Anyone fan enough to run around to all the fan sites and sign into all the raffles for a chance are fan enough to do the beta good. (or whoever buys their code is fan enough, though not as smart. And much less evil.)

That said, let me say what others are thinking: If I had a nickle for everyone claiming to be a long-time lurker, I could buy my own beta key off Ebay. You guys don't have to make excuses to us why your worth, everyone is worthy and luckily the people running the contests are playing by those rules.
#242 Aug 09 2010 at 3:06 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
I dunno lol I think the people who say ooo there should be rules to the give-a-way, Like have ur account 1 month old? I disagree with this. People check out this site everyday new people old people and long fans of ZAM, most people don't have account because we choose not to post on the forums. But are huge fans of FFXIV and FFXI in alike. So that Oh people should be a month old lol. Its a random give-a-way and I'm glad for it. I've been wanting to be in the beta since day 1. But I never got the chance, so now I have that chance finally... and people like you just want to take my dreams and smash them against the wall for your own greed. I think everyone is equal So good luck to old members and new members. ^^b May the goddess of destruction watch over you lmao.
____________________________
May the god of destruction be with you O_O!
#243 Aug 09 2010 at 3:12 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
Seriha wrote:
Mikhalia wrote:
Clearly the contest should only be open to people with over 7,500 posts.

...what?


*low-five?*


for the rest of us ~Tackles ya both~ :P
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#244 Aug 09 2010 at 3:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
764 posts
Quote:
I dunno lol I think the people who say ooo there should be rules to the give-a-way, Like have ur account 1 month old? I disagree with this. People check out this site everyday new people old people and long fans of ZAM, most people don't have account because we choose not to post on the forums. But are huge fans of FFXIV and FFXI in alike. So that Oh people should be a month old lol. Its a random give-a-way and I'm glad for it. I've been wanting to be in the beta since day 1. But I never got the chance, so now I have that chance finally... and people like you just want to take my dreams and smash them against the wall for your own greed. I think everyone is equal So good luck to old members and new members. ^^b May the goddess of destruction watch over you lmao.


Now I don't care about anything aside from I hope all socks get banned, but your logic is a bit flawed. You call it their greed because they want people that have been contributing to ZAM's community to get keys, whereas you can say your a long time fan who never posted, at the same time they can call you greedy for wanting free keys besides having done nothing for the community except lurk then only popping out of your hole when you have something to gain for it.

Either way arguing it can be called greedy, whether its wanting a better chance, or stating you deserve a chance just because which is why I find most of this argument pointless.

Also, smashing your dreams is a bit melodramatic >.>

Death to socks!
____________________________


#245 Aug 09 2010 at 3:26 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
811 posts
Tweezle120 wrote:
I support a 100% fair contest, which means I also support allowing 1 posters to win. EVEN the one posters who aren't coming back, that's the nature of a fair pubic raffle.


Pubic raffles are such a pain in the ****!
#246 Aug 09 2010 at 3:32 PM Rating: Good
*
239 posts
omg! how embarrassing! Darn Auto-correct speller! making a fuel of me!
#247 Aug 09 2010 at 3:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
764 posts
Quote:
I support a 100% fair contest, which means I also support allowing 1 posters to win. EVEN the one posters who aren't coming back, that's the nature of a fair pubic raffle. What counts is the exposure generated for the site. Anyone fan enough to run around to all the fan sites and sign into all the raffles for a chance are fan enough to do the beta good. (or whoever buys their code is fan enough, though not as smart. And much less evil.)

That said, let me say what others are thinking: If I had a nickle for everyone claiming to be a long-time lurker, I could buy my own beta key off Ebay. You guys don't have to make excuses to us why your worth, everyone is worthy and luckily the people running the contests are playing by those rules.


That about sums it up, its open everyone and it brings some eyeballs to this site that might decide to stay. With XIV coming around there's a lot of potential new members, so throwing out a raffle is a good way to draw them in to where they can go to find/contribute info.

Edited, Aug 9th 2010 5:39pm by Silverwyrm
____________________________


#248 Aug 09 2010 at 3:41 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
Silverwyrm wrote:
Quote:
I dunno lol I think the people who say ooo there should be rules to the give-a-way, Like have ur account 1 month old? I disagree with this. People check out this site everyday new people old people and long fans of ZAM, most people don't have account because we choose not to post on the forums. But are huge fans of FFXIV and FFXI in alike. So that Oh people should be a month old lol. Its a random give-a-way and I'm glad for it. I've been wanting to be in the beta since day 1. But I never got the chance, so now I have that chance finally... and people like you just want to take my dreams and smash them against the wall for your own greed. I think everyone is equal So good luck to old members and new members. ^^b May the goddess of destruction watch over you lmao.


Now I don't care about anything aside from I hope all socks get banned, but your logic is a bit flawed. You call it their greed because they want people that have been contributing to ZAM's community to get keys, whereas you can say your a long time fan who never posted, at the same time they can call you greedy for wanting free keys besides having done nothing for the community except lurk then only popping out of your hole when you have something to gain for it.

Either way arguing it can be called greedy, whether its wanting a better chance, or stating you deserve a chance just because which is why I find most of this argument pointless.

Also, smashing your dreams is a bit melodramatic >.>

Death to socks!



:O I'm just stating that people need an equal chance, contributing or not, lol visiting the site and getting the sites view count up is contributing lol. There are many ways to contribute to a website. Posting on the forums is one, I agree, and a huge one. I have just never been a fan of forums. I feel my word isn't as heard as I want it to be, you know? lol. I hope ZAM does reward their long time fans, no doubt about it. But I also feel that posting giveaways like this... well make people come out of their holes and voice what they have to say. Now I'm not bashing you or anything and I don't hate on you for telling me I'm wrong, but be alittle opened minded about this. There are socks granted too many for ZAM to cover, but there are also people like me, who are really long time fans of the FF series and FFXI in general and want a shot at a giveaway. So who are you to say you should take that from then. Now if by all means BAN!!! the socks. But let ZAM decide on how they wanna do their give-a-way. >_> I'm done lol
____________________________
May the god of destruction be with you O_O!
#249 Aug 09 2010 at 3:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
764 posts
Quote:
:O I'm just stating that people need an equal chance, contributing or not, lol visiting the site and getting the sites view count up is contributing lol. There are many ways to contribute to a website. Posting on the forums is one, I agree, and a huge one. I have just never been a fan of forums. I feel my word isn't as heard as I want it to be, you know? lol. I hope ZAM does reward their long time fans, no doubt about it. But I also feel that posting giveaways like this... well make people come out of their holes and voice what they have to say. Now I'm not bashing you or anything and I don't hate on you for telling me I'm wrong, but be alittle opened minded about this. There are socks granted too many for ZAM to cover, but there are also people like me, who are really long time fans of the FF series and FFXI in general and want a shot at a giveaway. So who are you to say you should take that from then. Now if by all means BAN!!! the socks. But let ZAM decide on how they wanna do their give-a-way. >_> I'm done lol


Wasn't saying you don't deserve a chance, not telling you that you don't. More like your choice of words was hasty and could easily be used against you by those with the opposing opinions, as well as stating my own opinion that only those who argue about it and point fingers are the ones who truly look greedy. Was also playing a bit of Devil's Advocate and speaking for the other side in what I thought they would say, though looking at it my post did come out with a rather negative feel to it.
____________________________


#250 Aug 09 2010 at 3:54 PM Rating: Good
12 posts
People like me tend to stay away from forums untill games are 'very' close to release or post-release.

Not to mention, there's a total of 5 NA sites doing this. All of which have big, active communities, some of which I've been on for years. Others, rarely or never heard of. But, it has given me a chance to look around each forum and check out the community.

Though, the amount of criticism against new members is pretty outrageous. Keep in mind these could be people making new accounts with alternate information to get a better chance at the beta, so maybe you need to look at your own people. I can imagine plenty are doing this.

I've been lurking all the sites and while i'm not much of a poster, deciding my main forum of choice will be between what community and group of mods/admins handled the beta give-away the best, and obviously if I win, the site it was from will probably end up my main unless the community is lame.

So far I must say i'm unimpressed by almost all the FFXIV forums besides this one. It seems to be the most active. Eorzeapedia is nicely laid out with a 'mostly' friendly community but not nearly as active.

Closer to release when there's more to talk about i'm sure you'll see a lot of these people more active (Like myself.) But for the most part, because the only forum talk is speculation and common questions which are happening at SO many forums that it's almost pointless for me and most likely most people to dedicate themselves to a forum for a game that is based on pure speculation and insight.

Just my 2 cents, a lot of reasons as to why you shouldn't look down to 'new commers' simply because of this beta. Keep in mind it's not like it's an exclusive thing per website. This is something the fan sites are forced to due and had to agree upon. They have rules they must follow as well in these drawings. SE wants everyone to have a fair shot and to take a look at ALL FFXIV communities, no reason to prejudice against people keeping their options open, cause there's not much to talk about on the game atm anyways. Kinda hard to expect anything post related.
#251 Aug 09 2010 at 4:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
23 posts
Bahhh! Let's make this into a competition. Depend on the amount of beta giveaway, anyone who reached 1,000,000 post guarante a slot in the beta! OK! Ready... set... GO!
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)