Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Am I the only one who doesnt want to be in Beta?Follow

#1 Aug 04 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
292 posts
Well, at least not want it extremely bad, i did still sign up for the contest :)

But ever since i found out about this game ive been hooked to something i havent even played or know much about, just what ive read on here. The thought of being in beta is a double edged sword for me.

1. Yes! i get to play the game before the majority of people and get to experience the game before it finally comes time to really "play".

However... 2. I really like the idea of going in on release day not knowing much, learning everything like i did in all the other MMO's ive played. Getting immersed, and going around exploring for the first time with other people on their actual characters, not just something thats gonna get wiped before the next phase.

So part of me jumps for joy when i see a SE email in my inbox before i realize its just a newsletter about dragon quest ix, while the other is like, ehhh i dont know if i would actually want to play yet.

Anyone else? or are you all just ready to get in any way you can? ^^
____________________________
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
#2 Aug 04 2010 at 2:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
441 posts
Short answer to you question.... yes... you're the only one not wanting in lol
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#3 Aug 04 2010 at 2:14 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
The way that contest thread is growing I think you are one of the few people who dont want to be in the beta : P
____________________________

#4 Aug 04 2010 at 2:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
So part of me jumps for joy when i see a SE email in my inbox before i realize its just a newsletter about dragon quest ix


I was doubly disappointed by that. First, that it wasn't a Beta invite and second, that the new Dragon Quest game wasn't going to be on PS3 Smiley: motz

But it does seem like you're one of the few who doesn't want to get in the beta, judging from the behemoth that is Pikko's Beta thread Smiley: tongue
#5 Aug 04 2010 at 2:21 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
I am there with you man. I kinda want to play the beta and I kinda don't want to play it. I want this game to be new and fresh when I first play but it would be nice to get that experience before everyone else to.
____________________________
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571 - Mind Control Theories Used By Mass Media
#6 Aug 04 2010 at 2:26 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
There are a few others who dont want to be in the beta, seen it in other forums. Mostly becayse they want it when its not glitchy :)
Personaly i would love to be in, fidn things broken adn fix them lol ima tech by nature. and by profesion.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#7 Aug 04 2010 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
*
51 posts
Yes and no for me. I too like the idea of having everything fresh. And if I get the beta invite, I definitely wouldn't be playing non-stop.

However, the other side of me wants to get used to the controls, character creation (so i'm not spending 30mins-1hour on the 22nd and someone takes my name).

Controls, so you're not falling behind everyone else as they start their journey (mainly beta testers or people who know beta testers).

It's going to take some getting used to for sure, but I don't want to be spending so much time live learning the controls when everyone else is out and about.
#8 Aug 04 2010 at 2:31 PM Rating: Good
*
239 posts
I would also rather play on sep 22nd... If it was less than 49 days away! while stepping into a live, complete and balanced game is much more satisfying, I find I'm FFXIV crazy and want to see it NOAW.
#9 Aug 04 2010 at 2:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
292 posts
Quote:

I was doubly disappointed by that. First, that it wasn't a Beta invite and second, that the new Dragon Quest game wasn't going to be on PS3


I was also severely dissapointed about it not being on the PS3, xiii was on the PS2, why not keep it on the console?!
____________________________
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
#10 Aug 04 2010 at 3:17 PM Rating: Good
*
155 posts
Hmmm...
Like a lot of people yes and no.

I'd like to mostly to test hardware configurations and to understand how things work.
However, I know from playing other betas that it can spoil the final build for you. Just think that after slogging away for x amount of hours, you have to do it all again on release.
Some people argue that they don't want to waste time learning the game later, but surely learning how it all works, trying things out, meeting people doing the same, isn't all of it, the whole process part of the game?
Is it only about rushing to the end these days? What about the journey?

Y'know, the more I think about it, the more I want to wait and see it all with an open mind and fresh eyes.
And perhaps in that respect I stand amongst the few.
____________________________
In this life you are nothing without someone else to think so.

#11 Aug 04 2010 at 3:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
784 posts
I've actually decided that I don't want into the beta. Not because I'm not willing to test, or put up with buggy servers. It's because, ultimately, when the 22nd comes around, I want it to be completely new experience. This kind of thing doesn't come around all that often. If I play in beta, then next month when the game goes live, I have to have my characters wiped and start all over, and it just won't feel the same, stepping into the world for the first time. Plus, my wife will be playing with me, and she isn't interested in the beta.

I want it to feel good.
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#12 Aug 04 2010 at 4:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
216 posts
I don't want in either actually, again for similar reasons: I don't want to encounter any bugs or get used to something that ends up being changed in the final product. Having said that though, I wouldn't mind having the chance to play with character creation, or to run around in Eorzea a bit. Maybe the best situation for me would be if a friend got access and let me play a little haha.

By far though, the main reason for me is that I am actually quite busy this time of the year... I feel like Sept.22 will come around soon enough.
____________________________
Lodestone Profile: Kainase Tyrosin (Besaid)
LS:
#13 Aug 04 2010 at 4:15 PM Rating: Decent
**
284 posts
I would like to be in Beta as I have never done that before. The reality for me and most is that we wont be selected. I have the strangest luck though when it comes to all things SE. I probably wont have my PC built until right around the final release date so in all likely hood I would be invited or win a beta key. The other side of my strange luck would be if I somehow do complete my build early say in the next couple of weeks, I will not be selected/win beta key. ^^
#14 Aug 04 2010 at 4:19 PM Rating: Good
**
409 posts
Considering the 25+ pages of responses for the beta key giveaway in the first 2 days alone, I'd say ya you're probably either very secluded or entirely on your own in that opinion.
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#15 Aug 04 2010 at 4:20 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
255 posts
By saying you don't want to be in the beta is probably just some psychological reaffirming about not being selected in the first place.

Kinda like the kid that falls over playing tag then walks off pouting saying "Fine, I didn't even wanna play anyway!".

In short, OP - you're nuts :) But that's cool if you wanna be.
____________________________
[img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/15834_3d32ad424a3db4b1.png[/img]
#16 Aug 04 2010 at 4:23 PM Rating: Excellent
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
Considering the 25+ pages of responses for the beta key giveaway in the first 2 days 15 hours alone, I'd say ya you're probably either very secluded or entirely on your own in that opinion.


FTFY Smiley: wink

Edited, Aug 4th 2010 3:23pm by Osarion
#17 Aug 04 2010 at 4:29 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
I dunno why people keep looking at the beta -test- as an opportunity to -play- the game.

If I got in, I'd play, sure... but my primary reason for applying is to try to find glitches and bugs. It -is- a beta -test- and all that.

But yeah, judging by the massive amount of replies, -not- wanting to get in would definitely put you in a minority :)
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#18 Aug 04 2010 at 4:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
97 posts
I am kinda with you on this one, I want the game to be completely new to me when i join but I REALLY wanna see the level of detail they implemented and whatnot. I think if i do get accepted im going to get used to the cities and ask others about ingame stuff to gain more info for when release comes.
#19 Aug 04 2010 at 5:05 PM Rating: Decent
*
126 posts
I agree Mikhalia, I really just want to see what it runs like on a couple computers. But getting a chance to play it and just check it out in general would be nice as well. ;)
#20 Aug 04 2010 at 5:31 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
I don't think you'd be taking away TOO much surprise if you got into the beta, considering they said that only the areas around Limsa Lominsa are available. That's at least 66% of the game no one will be able to see until release!
#21 Aug 04 2010 at 5:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
I am keen to get in for 2 reasons.

First, I would love to run around looking for problems so that on go live, I can say that i had a small role to play in making ffxiv the game that it is.

ALso, with all this talk of hardware requirements, I would rather know ahead of release date the gaming experience that I might expect on release date. If it was no good - I would happily run along and blow a wad of savings on a supercomputer.

I have been scoping a machine that costs close to $7,000, id like to know whether it would really be worth it!
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#22 Aug 04 2010 at 5:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I have been scoping a machine that costs close to $7,000, id like to know whether it would really be worth it!
Smiley: jawdrop


Was that a typo? SEVEN thousand dollars?

Even building the most state of the art, up to date, Godlike PC on newegg cost only (heh) around 5,000. And that's with all the peripherals and software included in that price.

Whoever is trying to sell you a 7k PC is ripping you off. Badly.


*edit*
the omgwtfbbq PC

Edited, Aug 4th 2010 5:03pm by Osarion
#23 Aug 04 2010 at 6:08 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
HallieXIV wrote:
I am keen to get in for 2 reasons.

First, I would love to run around looking for problems so that on go live, I can say that i had a small role to play in making ffxiv the game that it is.

ALso, with all this talk of hardware requirements, I would rather know ahead of release date the gaming experience that I might expect on release date. If it was no good - I would happily run along and blow a wad of savings on a supercomputer.

I have been scoping a machine that costs close to $7,000, id like to know whether it would really be worth it!


Not even remotely. You could quite easily build a great system for way, way, way less than that. If you really wanna go super ultra high end (with a 5970 and an i7 980X) then you could do it for 3500-4000. 7000 is insane.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#24 Aug 04 2010 at 6:15 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Whoever is trying to sell you a 7k PC is ripping you off. Badly.


If you have any money left after buying a $7000 PC, I have a bridge I'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price...
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#25 Aug 04 2010 at 6:45 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
The opposite for me, I'd love to be in there, but haven't entered the giveaway. This pc has no chance of handling the game, but if I get my new one before wednesday I'll be sure to throw my name in the hat...
#26 Aug 04 2010 at 6:50 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
246 posts

Mikhalia:
If you have any money left after buying a $7000 PC, I have a bridge I'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price...


Does it come with some magic beans?

Edited, Aug 4th 2010 8:51pm by LordMethos

Edited, Aug 4th 2010 8:52pm by LordMethos
#27 Aug 04 2010 at 7:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
The PC I am scoping for $7k since people have said I am being ripped off is:

Core i-7 980X Extreme Edition Processor factory overclocked to 4.4ghz
Water cooling
12GB DDR3 Memory
Dual Ati Radeon 5970 crossfired
240GB SSD (4x60GB Raid 0)

I am hoping it should be fairly future proofed.

I also looked at the equivalent made by Alienware and the top of the range Alienware kitted out with most of the good upgrades cost way more than $7k. I suspect ALienware somewhat overcharge!
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#28 Aug 04 2010 at 7:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
http://www.altech.com.au/nrg/Storm.asp?update=10:58:32 AM
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#29 Aug 04 2010 at 7:09 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
I dunno why people keep looking at the beta -test- as an opportunity to -play- the game.

If I got in, I'd play, sure... but my primary reason for applying is to try to find glitches and bugs. It -is- a beta -test- and all that.


I think that for most people the primary reason for wanting to be in a beta test is reasonably the fact that it's fun. My experience having participated in about a half dozen beta tests in the past is that while you are there to find bugs and give feedback, you're not a QA team member. You're there to show the developers how people are actually going to play the game. If you honestly didn't care about enjoying yourself, you couldn't even give them useful feedback.

I don't think it's that important that people are going into a beta test with the idea that they're going to diligently go down a list of features and check them all out as if they're working a 9 to 5 job. What's important is that the people who get in actually play the thing and give feedback that's going to make the game better for every one. If they're doing that because of a selfish desire to play the game "for fun" then so much better for every one.
#30 Aug 04 2010 at 7:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
Sorry guys,

That is Austalian dollars, so probably about $6,400 in your US money.
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#31 Aug 04 2010 at 7:13 PM Rating: Excellent
HallieXIV wrote:
The PC I am scoping for $7k since people have said I am being ripped off is:

Core i-7 980X Extreme Edition Processor factory overclocked to 4.4ghz - $1,000
Water cooling - $250 -/+ for whole system
12GB DDR3 Memory - $450 for expensive stuff
Dual Ati Radeon 5970 crossfired - $700 x2 - $1400
240GB SSD (4x60GB Raid 0) - 4x $150 = $600

I am hoping it should be fairly future proofed.

I also looked at the equivalent made by Alienware and the top of the range Alienware kitted out with most of the good upgrades cost way more than $7k. I suspect ALienware somewhat overcharge!



That's 4450 for your major components. Where's the rest of the 2,500 coming from? You are not getting a good deal, methinks.


*edit*
Oh, Australian dollars. Dunno what the conversion is on that. Hmmm.. even still, that seems like an awful lot

Edited, Aug 4th 2010 6:15pm by Osarion
#32 Aug 04 2010 at 7:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
The other $2000 is coming from

Motherboard - a good $400 to get the most out of the powerful components
Case - $200 for adequate space for dual 5970's
Storage $200 for 2TB.

THere is then probably around $500 in currency conversion.

Probably another $500 to $1,000 due to the fact that we have to pay a lot more in Australia for stuff that you can buy more cheaply in the US. For example, a 5970 costs me the converted price of around $850 rather than the $700 you would pay.

Over all components -that will explain the difference.

Shame not all of us can be born in the US! Australia is a pretty good place to live though :0)
Edit - to correct typo.

Edited, Aug 4th 2010 9:21pm by HallieXIV
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#33 Aug 04 2010 at 7:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Yowza, I wonder why you Aussies have to pay so much extra.

Well, if you're willing to shell out that many semolians, more power to you Smiley: cool

Do you know anyone in the states that you trust enough to give the money to, have them buy the components here, then ship them to you? Probably save you a ton of money.
#34 Aug 04 2010 at 7:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
We pay to live in the lucky country - problem is that there is a lack of competition in the market for high end components since so few places stock them.

Could order from overseas but the problem is the risk of getting damaged in the mail or having to send back.

In any event, my point was that a reason I wanted into the beta was to see how my current rig copes. If I do OK, then I will defer the purchase for a while. Problem is, no-one knows how my current PC will fare unless they are in Beta (and even then, there may be changes for retail release). I think I should be OK. I am scoring in the late 3000's on low in the benchmark.

Back on topic - Beta would not just be an opportunity for me to test the game but also my system, and that is the main reason I want in!

Imagine my disappointment on 22 September if the game is jerky when I could have been ready with my supercomputer!
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#35 Aug 04 2010 at 9:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
224 posts
I'm also mixed on this.

On one side I'd love to get in early and play with the character creator and explore a little bit. If they get the Ps3 ready and get the beta going I'd be interested in it. With the issues they're having with it I'd want to help as much as I could to ensure a smooth game at Ps3 release.

On the other side I'm planning on playing on the Ps3 for some time before I build a PC that will run it the way I want it to. I won't complain about having a relatively bug free game when I get to it.




Side Note:

I've been playing with newegg and a couple other places, and I've come up with a system that could run it for around $750 on low to med settings. That's including a new full tower case, OS, everything. I could drop the $750 on it, but I don't think I'd be happy with it.

5770 Vid
8G Ram
Phenom II X4 3.4ghz black edition(reviews say easy OC to 4ghz and maybe a little more)



I'll wait, save up, and get a good system that will make me drool when I fire it up. I'm going to wait until I actually have the money saved up to get a final price in hopes that prices will come down a little, but I'm looking at around $2000 right now.

Then I'll forget that there's life outside of my office space. There is no IRL, only AFK!
#36 Aug 04 2010 at 9:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
I don't really want to repeat missions. You know the type that are a semi-interesting story line but have you running back and forth across town talking to NPC's and cut scenes for hours. It's ok once, but...

Same issue with "grinding" though early levels. It would be cool to get a feel for the mechanics and all but say you get a few classes to lvl 15 or 20. The game releases than its back to 1 with hardly any spells or abilities and repeating all of the same guildleves.

It's not that I don't enjoy "starting over" but I like it more when its for a good reason like leveling a new job... not the exact same one on the exact same race lol.

All that said, it would be cool to already have a basic feel for how to get around the game and menus and understand the basics of fighting, crafting, harvesting, mining, fishing etc. Not that its a race or anything... it just kind of sucks when you get a new game and spend the entire first night fumbling around the AI.
#37 Aug 04 2010 at 9:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Nalamwen wrote:
I'm also mixed on this.

On one side I'd love to get in early and play with the character creator and explore a little bit. If they get the Ps3 ready and get the beta going I'd be interested in it. With the issues they're having with it I'd want to help as much as I could to ensure a smooth game at Ps3 release.

On the other side I'm planning on playing on the Ps3 for some time before I build a PC that will run it the way I want it to. I won't complain about having a relatively bug free game when I get to it.




Side Note:

I've been playing with newegg and a couple other places, and I've come up with a system that could run it for around $750 on low to med settings. That's including a new full tower case, OS, everything. I could drop the $750 on it, but I don't think I'd be happy with it.

5770 Vid
8G Ram
Phenom II X4 3.4ghz black edition(reviews say easy OC to 4ghz and maybe a little more)



I'll wait, save up, and get a good system that will make me drool when I fire it up. I'm going to wait until I actually have the money saved up to get a final price in hopes that prices will come down a little, but I'm looking at around $2000 right now.

Then I'll forget that there's life outside of my office space. There is no IRL, only AFK!


From a logical standpoint, I don't understand this. The game is playable on a 5770 with a crappy Core 2 Duo. Double that performance with the equivalent of an i7 930 and 6 GB ram. Swap the 5770 for a GTX 460 and its even better. If you want even better, then slap a 2nd 5770 or 460 in there later on and play on max settings. I don't see the point of waiting longer to drop $2k all at once. I also don't see the point of spending an extra $1000 to play on max setting at 120 FPS instead of 80 FPS... or whatever. But each to his own.

Edited, Aug 4th 2010 10:56pm by Mithsavvy
#38 Aug 04 2010 at 10:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
224 posts
Quote:
From a logical standpoint, I don't understand this. The game is playable on a 5770 with a crappy Core 2 Duo. Double that performance with the equivalent of an i7 930 and 6 GB ram. Swap the 5770 for a GTX 460 and its even better. If you want even better, then slap a 2nd 5770 or 460 in there later on and play on max settings. I don't see the point of waiting longer to drop $2k all at once. I also don't see the point of spending an extra $1000 to play on max setting at 120 FPS instead of 80 FPS... or whatever. But each to his own.



FFXIV isn't the only game I'm ever going to play on my new machine. I want to be able to play other games that will come out later on.
#39 Aug 05 2010 at 3:10 AM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
I didn't apply for the beta and I haven't signed up for any contests heh. I know how you feel and personally I want to explore it all at release, with my own character (that won't get deleted) with as few glitches and bugs as possible and together with my friends/family. That being said I understand why people want to play Beta, there is a reason I didn't sign up... I am pretty sure that I would have played it if I got in, but I really don't want to. It would be a sorta my head says no, but my heart says yes yes YES thing. :)
#40 Aug 05 2010 at 3:11 AM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
I thought XIV was capped at 30FPS?

EDIT: Hmm, that didn't turn out the way it was supposed to, sorry about the double post.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 5:12am by Belcrono
#41 Aug 05 2010 at 3:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Belcrono wrote:
I thought XIV was capped at 30FPS?

EDIT: Hmm, that didn't turn out the way it was supposed to, sorry about the double post.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 5:12am by Belcrono


Thought that was just during the beta, but full release will be different

____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#42 Aug 05 2010 at 1:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
158 posts
I feel the same as the OP. Experiencing everything for the first time is a hugely important part of an MMO for me, so unless the beta was set in a city I wont be starting in (which, incidentally, it previously was), I would be pretty hesitant about jumping into beta. Experiencing the game in it's final build (well, as final as an mmo ever gets, there will obviously be patches galore) when it's live, is much more rewarding than jumping in to bug a game. That said, because I am so anxious for the game to come out and be a success, I would jump at the chance of getting into beta and trying to break the game.

So, pretty much, I have applied and will be just as happy whether I do or don't happen to get in.
#43 Aug 05 2010 at 2:25 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Myzldas wrote:
Belcrono wrote:
I thought XIV was capped at 30FPS?

EDIT: Hmm, that didn't turn out the way it was supposed to, sorry about the double post.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 5:12am by Belcrono


Thought that was just during the beta, but full release will be different



I was hearing that 30 fps is here to stay, as it was in XI. Do you have a source that indicates otherwise? If so, I'd be ecstatic.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#44 Aug 05 2010 at 3:44 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
I would like to pretend that I don't want to get into the Beta, for the same reasons you stated. keep my hopes down, right? But if I did get a Beta invite, I would surely be doing a happy-dance for about a week straight.

Truth told, I'm guessing you (OP) would react in a similar fashion?
#45 Aug 05 2010 at 4:39 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
I definitely do want to be in beta...however, I can understand you not wanting to be. I like how they only give you a tiny slice of the game in beta though. That way you can start in a new area regardless.
#46 Aug 05 2010 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
The PC I am scoping for $7k since people have said I am being ripped off is:

Core i-7 980X Extreme Edition Processor factory overclocked to 4.4ghz - $1,000
Water cooling - $250 -/+ for whole system
12GB DDR3 Memory - $450 for expensive stuff
Dual Ati Radeon 5970 crossfired - $700 x2 - $1400
240GB SSD (4x60GB Raid 0) - 4x $150 = $600

I am hoping it should be fairly future proofed.

I also looked at the equivalent made by Alienware and the top of the range Alienware kitted out with most of the good upgrades cost way more than $7k. I suspect ALienware somewhat overcharge!



That's 4450 for your major components. Where's the rest of the 2,500 coming from? You are not getting a good deal, methinks.


*edit*
Oh, Australian dollars. Dunno what the conversion is on that. Hmmm.. even still, that seems like an awful lot

Edited, Aug 4th 2010 6:15pm by Osarion


Sorry Osarion, but I'm gonna have to call you on this one. You are not going to get a *good* watercooling setup for your entire system for $250. I've spent over $1200 on mine so far, and I need to add a second rad for my GTX 480s in SLI so that my OC'd i7-930 temps don't go up too much. Currently only on a XSPC RX480 rad, need at least another RX240.
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#47 Aug 05 2010 at 6:54 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Yes
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#48 Aug 05 2010 at 6:55 PM Rating: Good
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
The PC I am scoping for $7k


lol. That's really crazy.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 5:57pm by GuardianFaith
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#49 Aug 05 2010 at 7:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Fetter wrote:
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
The PC I am scoping for $7k since people have said I am being ripped off is:

Core i-7 980X Extreme Edition Processor factory overclocked to 4.4ghz - $1,000
Water cooling - $250 -/+ for whole system
12GB DDR3 Memory - $450 for expensive stuff
Dual Ati Radeon 5970 crossfired - $700 x2 - $1400
240GB SSD (4x60GB Raid 0) - 4x $150 = $600

I am hoping it should be fairly future proofed.

I also looked at the equivalent made by Alienware and the top of the range Alienware kitted out with most of the good upgrades cost way more than $7k. I suspect ALienware somewhat overcharge!



That's 4450 for your major components. Where's the rest of the 2,500 coming from? You are not getting a good deal, methinks.


*edit*

Oh, Australian dollars. Dunno what the conversion is on that. Hmmm.. even still, that seems like an awful lot

Edited, Aug 4th 2010 6:15pm by Osarion


Sorry Osarion, but I'm gonna have to call you on this one. You are not going to get a *good* watercooling setup for your entire system for $250. I've spent over $1200 on mine so far, and I need to add a second rad for my GTX 480s in SLI so that my OC'd i7-930 temps don't go up too much. Currently only on a XSPC RX480 rad, need at least another RX240.



Lol, by all means, do please call me out if I misspeak. Admittedly, I know little to nothing about watercooling. I just went with what was the most expensive on Newegg's 1st watercooling page.

That's crazy though. $1200? I had no idea.
#50 Aug 05 2010 at 7:57 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
784 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:



Lol, by all means, do please call me out if I misspeak. Admittedly, I know little to nothing about watercooling. I just went with what was the most expensive on Newegg's 1st watercooling page.

That's crazy though. $1200? I had no idea.


Yer, it tends to be one of those things where you end up spending a lot more than you planned.

Originally, I had a budget of 500-600 :/
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#51 Aug 05 2010 at 8:31 PM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
I see no problem with getting into be beta as even learning every single thing offered in the pre-release phases you'd still probably feel nice and fresh when the game's actually released. I mean, a lot will change by release, and the full game will be explorable at release rather than the little sectioned-off part for beta... and you'll have tons and tons of new people to meet and explore with, and all that, so... yeah.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 11 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (11)