Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

SAM, NIN, THF, BRDFollow

#1 Aug 05 2010 at 12:10 PM Rating: Good
11 posts
are there going to be classes similar to theese in XIV...

im pretty sure that all of the classes havent been anounced yet, but i dont know... i really hope they have these classes or at least some semblance of them

the reason for my trepidation is that i can see SE just putting some of these classes abilites onto other classes, IE lancer having collusion (trtick attack) Pugilist having pilfer (steal/mug) among others
#2 Aug 05 2010 at 12:15 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
811 posts
Why would you want to play those classes when you can play botanist?
#3 Aug 05 2010 at 12:15 PM Rating: Excellent
These specific classes have not been announced yet, no.

But you kinda have to figure that a Katana/G.Kat using class has to make an appearance sooner or later. Wouldn't be FF without them. BRD kinda goes along the same lines for me.. it's unique enough and hasn't really had (that anyone knows of) any of it's abilities copied into other, pre-existing FFXIV classes.

Guess we'll have to wait for either a surprise announcement for retail release or the XIV expansions.
#4 Aug 05 2010 at 12:15 PM Rating: Good
***
3,438 posts
Don't necessarily look for direct translations of FFXI classes in FFXIV.. It's a different game.

That being said, at present there's no dagger class and no two-handed weapon class aside from Marauder (greataxes).

There are a few different possibilities:
- They're in the game and SE just hasn't told you about them, and you'll have to go find them yourself
- They're planned for expansions
- You only get 7 combat classes ever for the next N years that this game runs

Number 3 is nearly impossible
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#5 Aug 05 2010 at 12:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,705 posts
SAM: Probably, it's in -a lot- if not all of class based FF games.

NIN: Same as SAM, but I'm sure there will be no utsusemi after how people whored it on the streets.

THF: There will no doubt be a rogue type class..it's a staple of job based FFs.

BRD: Probably..need a buffing class and again another staple in job based FFs.

They're just trying to get rid of the whole "Oh hey you're a tank." and "Oh hey you're a healer" type of deal though they'll break down and make specialists at one point.
____________________________

#6 Aug 05 2010 at 12:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Thf is a rough one though. Will we see it like in FFXI? Probably not, lancer gets trick attack, pugilist gets sneak attack.

But no jobs have steal and that's kind of a big "no FF game has ever been without steal" kind of deal.

Also if a dagger class wit hsteal was introduced, chances are you could add in pug and lanc abilities to bring back the old school.
____________________________


#7 Aug 05 2010 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
Callinon wrote:
- They're planned for expansions


Actually, people keep forgetting/didn't see the interview, but there was an interview early in the development (i.e. I'll look for the link, but it's likely to be buried deep enough it will take me a while to find) in which SE stated they would be trying something different and releasing new Disciplines on major updates while new areas and playable content, so to speak, would be added in expansions.

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 2:57pm by Hulan
#8 Aug 05 2010 at 12:26 PM Rating: Good
***
3,438 posts
Hulan wrote:
Callinon wrote:
- They're planned for expansions


Actually, people keep forgetting/didn't see the interview, but there was an interview early in the development (i.e. I'll look for the link, but it's likely to be buried deep enough it will take me a while to find) in which SE stated they would be trying something different and releasing new Disciplines on major updates while new areas and playable content, so to speak, would be added in expansions.


Interesting approach, if you can find where they said that I'd be very interested in reading it.

It boils down to the same thing though: "You get it later"
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#9 Aug 05 2010 at 12:27 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
811 posts
When weapons with LaS0rZ are introduced, I'm gonna pick up that class and put pew pew pew in all my macros.

And I'll duel wield a GK in my off-hand and create the first ever Lasurai class.

This class will be able to wear aluminum siding for defense.

Mobs will think it's a house in the middle of nowhere... and BAM!!!!!!!! Out pops Lasurai!!!!!!

Edit: Back to listening to Hootie and the Blowfish...

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 2:33pm by ShonaSeraph
#10 Aug 05 2010 at 12:32 PM Rating: Excellent
**
401 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Thf is a rough one though. Will we see it like in FFXI? Probably not, lancer gets trick attack, pugilist gets sneak attack.

But no jobs have steal and that's kind of a big "no FF game has ever been without steal" kind of deal.

Also if a dagger class wit hsteal was introduced, chances are you could add in pug and lanc abilities to bring back the old school.


Actually if I remember right pugs can steal. Just looked on the official site and its listed under their abilities. Still not sure if you can "make" a thief with pug/lancer/gladiator (description for glad says they can equip daggers), but i'm still hopeful since it was by far my favorite class in FFXI.
____________________________
FFXI: Server Ifrit
Licksthekitty - 68THF/41WHM/37NIN/30BLM/20COR Mithra Retired

WoW: Realm Darkspear
Claybosmash - 80 Orc Warrior Retired
Ipwnrice - 70 Undead Rogue Retired


#11 Aug 05 2010 at 12:43 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
phase 3 of he beta introduces new classes, and currently all classes are playable so we'll have to wait until SE releases that info on the official site.
____________________________


#12 Aug 05 2010 at 12:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Louiscool wrote:
phase 3 of he beta introduces new classes, and currently all classes are playable so we'll have to wait until SE releases that info on the official site.


Actually no, they're not. I wouldn't get my hopes up for brand new, never-before-announced classes just yet.
#13 Aug 05 2010 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
Frustratingly, I cannot seem to find that interview, but I have only managed to dig through about half of them so far, and I need to go out. There is an interview archive in the ZAM wiki, if someone would like to take a shot at finding it. I am absolutely sure that I saw it, I just cannot find the source that the moment. I'll take the search back up when I get back if no one has found it yet.
#14 Aug 05 2010 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Hulan wrote:
Frustratingly, I cannot seem to find that interview, but I have only managed to dig through about half of them so far, and I need to go out. There is an interview archive in the ZAM wiki, if someone would like to take a shot at finding it. I am absolutely sure that I saw it, I just cannot find the source that the moment. I'll take the search back up when I get back if no one has found it yet.


I remember reading the same thing, you're not just going crazy Smiley: tongue
#15 Aug 05 2010 at 1:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
I just wanna pet job ;;
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#16 Aug 05 2010 at 1:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
25 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
SAM: Probably, it's in -a lot- if not all of class based FF games.

NIN: Same as SAM, but I'm sure there will be no utsusemi after how people whored it on the streets.

THF: There will no doubt be a rogue type class..it's a staple of job based FFs.

BRD: Probably..need a buffing class and again another staple in job based FFs.

They're just trying to get rid of the whole "Oh hey you're a tank." and "Oh hey you're a healer" type of deal though they'll break down and make specialists at one point.

Louiscool wrote:
But no jobs have steal and that's kind of a big "no FF game has ever been without steal" kind of deal.


Thief is by far my favorite class to play in FF. However, I doubt that a "true" Thief class will exist in FFXVI. Pugilist has Steal listed as an ability on the official site. Also, with Trick Attack(Lancer), Sneak Attack (Pugilist), and Flee(Archer) all already distributed, I don't see any reason for a THF for FFXIV. I really don't see any advantage to adding a dagger wielding class unless it's some dual wielding dagger/gunner class like a Pirate(Corsair).

Samurai, i agree, is almost a guarantee to make an appearance. Lancer has the only TP gain ability, which really doesn't compare FFXI's SAM.

Ninja is an interesting one. It would probably have mostly "trickery" abilities and dual wield. I'd like to see it use techniques found in Naruto minus some of the elemental abilities and abolish tool skills. I'd hate to see everyone with the ability to blink.
____________________________
The thief is sorry he is to be hanged, not that he is a thief.
#17 Aug 05 2010 at 1:42 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
As has been mentioned, all of the usual THF abilities have been parsed out to other classes, including treasure hunter (which I believe the blacksmith has). Also, the gladiator has the ability to use daggers so I doubt a thf class will be included, but you can mix and match the classes to make one should you desire to do so (it was stated in an interview that this is the point of the armory system, they want you to mix and match to create your favorite class).

The other classes will most likely wait for an expansion, as was the case for FFXI.
#18 Aug 05 2010 at 1:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
phase 3 of he beta introduces new classes, and currently all classes are playable so we'll have to wait until SE releases that info on the official site.


Actually no, they're not. I wouldn't get my hopes up for brand new, never-before-announced classes just yet.


Hmmm, this debate treads on breaking NDA, but which ones? I know all combat classes are available and they did ALREADY mention classes like Musketeer, etc. I was assuming those owuld be the introduced classes.
____________________________


#19 Aug 05 2010 at 1:46 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
811 posts
Less new classes! More new hairstyles! Let's try to focus on what's important please! =D
#20 Aug 05 2010 at 1:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
hairstyles?

Shona.. ya trying to tell us something? lol
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#21 Aug 05 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
153 posts
I dont want those cookie cutter classes in FF14. We need innovation. In FF11 alot of the classes had the same abilities but they were used in different ways. For example bard and rdm have mp/hp regen abilities the major difference was that one class required mp to use the abilities while the other didn't. Im looking forward to character customization rather than seeing the same old classes revived.
____________________________
AIM: offthachain
Playonline: Onineko
Sever: Carbuncle
#22 Aug 05 2010 at 9:31 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
199 posts
If you read on the main site under Gladiator it states that "Gladiators specialize in the handling of all manner of one–handed blades, from daggers to longswords, be they single– or double–edged, straight or curved".

Sooo I don't think we will see a thief type class because someone already has the ability to use daggers which is likely what thiefs would need to use. Unless they change it some time. I don't really see many gladiators opting for daggers over swords that probably do more damage.
____________________________
PS3 - Lil_Mermaid_Girl
#23 Aug 05 2010 at 9:54 PM Rating: Good
2 posts
So... thieves as a class only consists of steal, flee, sneak attack and treasure hunter?

What about disarming traps? Unlocking chests and doors? ****Sneaking****? ******Evading*****?!?!?!?

Light armor, for easy movement, high dexterity and the ability to move quickly to avoid damage, although once hit it will be serious. Clever in wits, enough to disarm traps, unlock chests and identify valuable objects. Only time high damage is dealt should be from a position of surprise, that should only be accomplished with a -lot- of difficulty. Otherwise regular attacks should be quick, and light damage, high chance of crits, and i know it'll never happen but there should be poisons with status effects. Ninjas got ninjutsu! But, like i said before the job should be extremely difficult to play well.

Thief/rogue should be a high utility class that sacrifices the ability to be offensive for other abilities.

Did you ever play DAoC? They considered them an assassin class, but most fighting consisted of one large opening attack, and lots of poisons and strategy to win, and if thought out well enough you could kill a lot of different things others couldnt.

Dont hate~!

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 11:56pm by betarhythm
____________________________
We don't need to prove anything! Control is a fallacy~
#24 Aug 05 2010 at 9:58 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
199 posts
betarhythm wrote:
So... thieves as a class only consists of steal, flee, sneak attack and treasure hunter?

What about disarming traps? Unlocking chests and doors? ****Sneaking****? ******Evading*****?!?!?!?


Maybe they can use a lockpick instead of a dagger? :P

You know, since gladiators already have daggers also.

lmbo I'm j/k. (I don't hate thf, i like thf actually).

Edited, Aug 5th 2010 11:59pm by PinkMermaid
____________________________
PS3 - Lil_Mermaid_Girl
#25 Aug 05 2010 at 10:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
802 posts
Well, an overlooked weapon.....

http://www.google.com.sg/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=bFa&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=weapon+sap&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=z5RbTIXVD4PEsAP8__mlDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDAQsAQwAw

http://www.donrearic.com/sap.html

Its called a sap.

Commonly stereotyped weapon for muggers, kidnappers, *** predators, etc.

PERFECT weapon for a thf.

Edited, Aug 6th 2010 12:54am by Humster
____________________________


#26 Aug 05 2010 at 11:13 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Pugilists also have Featherfoot-"Tread lightly, increasing evasion."

Archers have Chameleon-"Blend in with your surroundings, consuming TP to reduce enmity."

Throw these in with flee, steal, sneak attack/trick attack and you pretty much have a thief...I got nothin' about the disarming traps stuff, but also don't know if that kind of thing would come up. There may be certain weapons that inflict poison & such. It's not your cookie-cutter thief job, but certainly you can create a setup that comes pretty close.

Like onineko mentioned, they seem to be going away from the traditional cookie-cutter jobs and giving us the creativity to make our own. And that's not necessarily a bad thing...
#27 Aug 06 2010 at 7:37 AM Rating: Decent
47 posts
I'm interested to see what other Disciplines are realeased down the road. They haven't shown a huge amount of weapon types yet and I'm curiouse to see if weapons from XI will all make a return and if any new ones will be added. So far we have:

Pugilist: Fist Weapons
Gladiator: One Handed Swords and Daggers, Shield
Marauder: Two-Handed Axes
Archer: Bow
Lancer: Polearm
Thaumaturge: Staves + One-Handed Maces
Conjurer: Wands + Canes
Miner: Pickaxe + Hammer
Botanist: Hatchet
Fisher: Fishing Rod

Ok so with what has been listed we can see many things are missing. Scythe, Two-Handed Swords, Two-Handed Maces, One-Handed Axes, Instruments, Books, Katana, Great Katana, Crossbow, Throwing Star/Knives, Guns. Not sure if I missed any from XI. New weapons that would be interesting: Whips, Flails, Guns (XI's seemed to be all pistols how bout some rifles slower shots but more damage think of it like a two-handed weapon at long range) I'm sure I could think of more but I'm tired lol.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV - Server:Rabanastre
Character:Azrael Sykksmoke - Phy.lvl. 11
PUG-9,THM-6,MIN-5,BOT-5,LNC-3,ARC-2,FSH-2

Final Fantasy XI - Server:Remora
Character:
Sykksmoke 75 WAR, 75 PLD, 70 RDM, 60 NIN - Xorn 41 PLD (Retired)

World of Warcraft
Server:Eonar
Characters:
Nobunaga 80 Warlock, Kale 80 Death Knight, Dais 80 Hunter
Mitsuhide 80 Paladin, Sykksmoke 80 Warrior
Server:Gnomergan
Anubis 80 Death Knight
#28 Aug 06 2010 at 3:42 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
595 posts
In case anyone is interested, there's a complete list of all the jobs in FFXI that will not be appearing in FFXIV over on the XI page:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?cat=16
#29 Aug 06 2010 at 7:23 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
As others have alluded to already, if you take a close look at all the main classes, they are pretty much combos of the original classes. As I see things:

Gladiator: combo War and PLD (without the Pld magic and actually does dmg)
Maurauder: War and Sam
Pugilist: Mnk and Thf
Lancer: Drg and Sam and Drk
Archer: Rng...the exception to the rule
Thaumaturge: WHM and BLM
Conjurer: all the buffs/debuffs and FU's from Whm, Blm, and Rdm.

Going on what we have at the main site, this is just what I see upon examination.
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Character: Rroas (aka R2)(retired)
Class: 75 War/Nin or War/Thf cuz that's all that mattered
#30 Aug 06 2010 at 7:53 PM Rating: Good
*
243 posts
I'll apologize up front if I am completely off base as I am not in beta, but I am having a hard time understanding why people keep bringing up "jobs" from previous FFs.

It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that the "jobs" in FF14 are more like skill paths than actual jobs - and that you can mix and match skills from several jobs to create something that fits your style of play. I realize that this is sort of a gross simplification as people have already talked about picking abilities from "jobs" that are not in what you are currently equipped for being weaker as a balance technique, and I am sure there is more to it than that.

I assume then that those who want to play a "musketeer" would have to draw abilities from gladiator and archer. Those that want to play a "paladin" would pick abilities from gladiator and conjurer. So forth and so forth.

Am I completely off base with this idea?
____________________________
75BST | 75BLM

SE put the gods on islands or indoors so beastmasters would'nt solo them.
#31 Aug 06 2010 at 7:59 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
ZarovichGaruda wrote:
I'll apologize up front if I am completely off base as I am not in beta, but I am having a hard time understanding why people keep bringing up "jobs" from previous FFs.

It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that the "jobs" in FF14 are more like skill paths than actual jobs - and that you can mix and match skills from several jobs to create something that fits your style of play. I realize that this is sort of a gross simplification as people have already talked about picking abilities from "jobs" that are not in what you are currently equipped for being weaker as a balance technique, and I am sure there is more to it than that.

I assume then that those who want to play a "musketeer" would have to draw abilities from gladiator and archer. Those that want to play a "paladin" would pick abilities from gladiator and conjurer. So forth and so forth.

Am I completely off base with this idea?


I think you are just a little off as to where some of the discussion has gone.

At this point, at least with my points, people are trying to figure out the role of these new jobs in a party and how they compare to the last game. I chimed in not to really compare the new classes to the old ones, but to try and look at how they function in the party system compared to the previous batch. Personally, I find it interesting that it seems that these new jobs are taking on multiple roles that used to be preformed by multiple jobs in XI.

Again, that's just what I'm seeing at this point. I'm always ready to be proven wrong.
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Character: Rroas (aka R2)(retired)
Class: 75 War/Nin or War/Thf cuz that's all that mattered
#32 Aug 06 2010 at 10:43 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
I just want my SMN!
#33 Aug 06 2010 at 11:41 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
ZarovichGaruda wrote:
I'll apologize up front if I am completely off base as I am not in beta, but I am having a hard time understanding why people keep bringing up "jobs" from previous FFs.

It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that the "jobs" in FF14 are more like skill paths than actual jobs - and that you can mix and match skills from several jobs to create something that fits your style of play. I realize that this is sort of a gross simplification as people have already talked about picking abilities from "jobs" that are not in what you are currently equipped for being weaker as a balance technique, and I am sure there is more to it than that.

I assume then that those who want to play a "musketeer" would have to draw abilities from gladiator and archer. Those that want to play a "paladin" would pick abilities from gladiator and conjurer. So forth and so forth.

Am I completely off base with this idea?


Well in the specific case of "musketeer" a guild actually exists within the game, though that class is not slated to be in the game at release (indeed S-E has never confimed that such a class will exist, but it seems reasonable since they've talked about having firearms in the game and archers seem unable to use them).

In the case of a Paladin, well as far as we know there's never going to be a way to be called "paladin" but if you wanted to replicate the abilities of a paladin then yes you'd probably combine a gladiator with some amount of caster abilities gleaned from mage classes. You might pick up Cure from Conjurer and Banish from Thaumaturge, perhaps.

What you won't be able to do is to simply pick up any class in FFXIV and have it map directly to another class in FFXI. The best you'll be able to do is find some thing that's kind of close like Gladiator/Paladin or Pugilist/Thief. You'll probably think more along the lines though of "what abilities do I want" rather than "what class am I?" The weapon you have equipped will determine which class you're gaining experience for, but you'll be pulling relevant abilities from any and every class that you've leveled before.

If the best thing for your Lancer is to grab a bunch of Marauder abilities and some Gladiator traits, then that's probably what you'll do. Most players will probably spend a lot of time hopping from class to class to pick up specific abilities to make them more effective.

Edited, Aug 7th 2010 1:44am by KarlHungis
#34 Aug 06 2010 at 11:42 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Yeah, I hope smn makes into the game. I'd cheer.
#35 Aug 07 2010 at 7:18 AM Rating: Decent
14 posts
KarlHungis wrote:


Well in the specific case of "musketeer" a guild actually exists within the game, though that class is not slated to be in the game at release (indeed S-E has never confimed that such a class will exist, but it seems reasonable since they've talked about having firearms in the game and archers seem unable to use them).

In the case of a Paladin, well as far as we know there's never going to be a way to be called "paladin" but if you wanted to replicate the abilities of a paladin then yes you'd probably combine a gladiator with some amount of caster abilities gleaned from mage classes. You might pick up Cure from Conjurer and Banish from Thaumaturge, perhaps.

What you won't be able to do is to simply pick up any class in FFXIV and have it map directly to another class in FFXI. The best you'll be able to do is find some thing that's kind of close like Gladiator/Paladin or Pugilist/Thief. You'll probably think more along the lines though of "what abilities do I want" rather than "what class am I?" The weapon you have equipped will determine which class you're gaining experience for, but you'll be pulling relevant abilities from any and every class that you've leveled before.

If the best thing for your Lancer is to grab a bunch of Marauder abilities and some Gladiator traits, then that's probably what you'll do. Most players will probably spend a lot of time hopping from class to class to pick up specific abilities to make them more effective.

Edited, Aug 7th 2010 1:44am by KarlHungis


Oi...you just made me realize that if it all works out like that...I'll have to play Thaum or Conj to get some Cures on my Glad to increase my hate management.

Bleh...I hate playing mages :P
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Character: Rroas (aka R2)(retired)
Class: 75 War/Nin or War/Thf cuz that's all that mattered
#37 Aug 07 2010 at 11:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
Please do not post links to videos that break NDA.
#38 Aug 07 2010 at 8:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
90 posts
My question is where is the summoner. Not that I think them to be a very needed class, but SE has always made them the most spectacular in all of their games...

I think Ifrit & Shiva are crying somewhere right now because they were overlooked.
#39 Aug 07 2010 at 9:07 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
Who says they were overlooked?? SE will no doubt be releasing other classes in the future. I think everyone is freaking out to much at this point.
____________________________


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (23)